• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Yeah, I'm kinda back to lukewarm hype levels after that burst of excitement when all the cell phone vids were coming out. Everything truly is still the same with just certain variables removed all together. I dunno, there's not much left to see on the perspective of being "new". I guess I'll wait for the March release and see if they updated anything.

GrayFoxPL

Also, looking like Paul is still the local idiot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiKmwFXBOo

(new win animation)

I'm still in disbelief we lost 2P outfits in favor for recycling TTT2's customs.

Nah, it's old.

So Tekken characters eventually die. Welp.

Little disappointing. She has nothing on Jinpachi or even Jun.

Sayah

I do not like Kazumis devil form. The design is just off. And those flame wings could look way better with UE4 technology.

That volcano stage, on the other hand, wow.

GrayFoxPL

I do not like Kazumis devil form. The design is just off. And those flame wings could look way better with UE4 technology.

That volcano stage, on the other hand, wow.

I think she's supposed to be like a character from Kabuki theater play. That's why she has the facepaint and wings look like made of paper. Even the tiger kinda looks like 2d cardboard cutout.

Degen

Whose TTT2 ending had the" old guy" characters in a room talking about their future?

I remember that Baek was there, Wang and Jinpachi were there... It must have been Dr.B's ending because even HE was there

Has a single character in that ending been confirmed in T7 yet? Was that ending not joking? Should I have been sending hate mail to Harada as soon as I finished Arcade Mode with Dr.B??

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Whose TTT2 ending had the" old guy" characters in a room talking about their future?

I remember that Baek was there, Wang and Jinpachi were there... It must have been Dr.B's ending because even HE was there

Has a single character in that ending been confirmed in T7 yet? Was that ending not joking? Should I have been sending hate mail to Harada as soon as I finished Arcade Mode with Dr.B??

Wang. Poor poor Wang.

Dr. B's was something stupid about Lars's hair. Somehow he manages to steal the focus of other characters' ending movies.

Also, Kazumi's second form has some seriously cornball aesthetics. I personally can't get over the stylized flame-licks at the end of her dress. It's like the design you'd find on a cheap tattoo.

Idk if everything seems the same at this point. Besides new mechanics, all of the characters so far got new shit. Unless the expectation was massive differences then I'm sorry for your hype lol.

But I can really see how this new change in system affects some characters. Lili already lost so much with the okizeme changes, now she along with Xiaoyu lost their BT throw mixups as well! I'm so sorry NinthPixel! ....
*laughs* No need for sorry. After you play Xiaoyu for years. You get used to the one step forward, two steps back. I am just glad she is changing. Her arms were so obnoxiously short, yet she was a throw character all these years. Now she has some lows. They are probably launch punishable, but what the hay.

I will watch a bit more Tekken 7 and then I am going to put it away. I want to be excited and full of ideas IF I ever get my hands on the game. Being secluded has helped me enjoy T6 and TTT2 more than I am sure I would had otherwise. So if Gafers don't see me, you know I will continue FingersToFight. Missed last week thanks to the f;u, but I am back this week. Gotta keep Tekken alive till that Tekken 7 2025 release date!

*laughs* No need for sorry. After you play Xiaoyu for years. You get used to the one step forward, two steps back. I am just glad she is changing. Her arms were so obnoxiously short, yet she was a throw character all these years. Now she has some lows. They are probably launch punishable, but what the hay.

I will watch a bit more Tekken 7 and then I am going to put it away. I want to be excited and full of ideas IF I ever get my hands on the game. Being secluded has helped me enjoy T6 and TTT2 more than I am sure I would had otherwise. So if Gafers don't see me, you know I will continue FingersToFight. Missed last week thanks to the f;u, but I am back this week. Gotta keep Tekken alive till that Tekken 7 2025 release date!

I think I'm gonna do the same. No point in worrying about the game if I can't see myself playing it in the next few months.

Manbig

@Manny

I don't think making Tekken's grabs soul calibur-like works IMO. I'm no SC expert but this is how I felt when I was grinding on SCV:

The movement system is SC is a lot more dynamic than say in Tekken because of how much people can move around and how quickly they can recover and block/attack after their desired movement. Hence I found throws have that risk to them getting punished heavily along with the range being quite small where the majority of the weapons have massive range (relative to Tekken). That's why it makes sense for it to be a 50/50 guess.

Tekken on the other hand being a non-weapon based fighter relying only on hand-to-hand combat leaves people at that range where grabs can reach a far greater amount of time than SC I felt. Considering the frequency of being at that specific range iff Tekken were to make it 50/50 along with the fact that grabs take priority over strikes unlike Virtua Fighter, throws would be way too dangerous in my opinion. Characters like King when their back is to the wall would be so dangerous since I'd have to guess between a tombstone or a giant swing.

And also, I always preferred Tekken's throw system over the VF system where throws lose to strikes regardless of which would connect first. I felt much more in control with the way Tekken handled things.

But I can really see how this new change in system affects some characters. Lili already lost so much with the okizeme changes, now she along with Xiaoyu lost their BT throw mixups as well! I'm so sorry NinthPixel!

Two points here.

1. I assumed that it went without saying, but I guess I'll just spell it out. I wanted them to go with a 50/50 set up and to redesign the throw breaks to better balance that.

2. The reason that I think that this would work for Tekken is because characters with GS already have this option and it has worked out quite alright for the most part. The thing that should separate the good grapplers from the bad is damage and/or follow up oki, not having weird and exclusive throw breaking rules.

Throws should be strong. I always found it so weird how Tekken is supposed to be about several fighting styles, but the one style that damn near makes everything else obsolete is evasiveness. Grappling across the board should be stronger. I want the game at the highest level to look less like point fighting in combat sports.

EDIT: After seeing the damage off of Dragunov's d/b3 full juggle in that Nobi video, it's nothing to really be all that excited about. The damage is about the same as it always was. He just gets a lot more wall carry off of it now.

A blind guess on all throws works in Soul Calibur because of ringouts. There are only a few examples in Tekken both players could benefit from the throw mindgame. I would like for throws to be strong as well. Grapplers are fun to watch in SF because they do change up the flow. Characters in Tekken play so similar these days it makes me pretty sad.

Evasiveness as a style isn't that strong. It was the Tekken Team's desire to make evasive moves abundant is what ruined things. Most people evading you are just lucky. I am quite sad that my years developing my skill to evade has been turned into a lightning screw bargain sale. Although, I must admit it is funny seeing Marduk evade better than Xiaoyu. Pretty much every character evades better than the girl that started it all.

Sayah

Maybe if Tag 2 was a major sales success, these changes wouldn't be happening. Tekken was on course to becoming the next Virtua Fighter as far as popularity goes. These changes are a response to that (from how I'm seeing things).

While they're not doing everything right with Tekken 7, it's a step in the right direction if they want casuals and newcomers to more easily adopt the series.

Manbig

A blind guess on all throws works in Soul Calibur because of ringouts. There are only a few examples in Tekken both players could benefit from the throw mindgame. I would like for throws to be strong as well. Grapplers are fun to watch in SF because they do change up the flow. Characters in Tekken play so similar these days it makes me pretty sad.

Evasiveness as a style isn't that strong. It was the Tekken Team's desire to make evasive moves abundant is what ruined things. Most people evading you are just lucky. I am quite sad that my years developing my skill to evade has been turned into a lightning screw bargain sale. Although, I must admit it is funny seeing Marduk evade better than Xiaoyu. Pretty much every character evades better than the girl that started it all.

I don't just mean evasive moves. I'm saying that high level play has always been about evasion. It has always been the dominant play style for Tekken, which is basically supposed to be the MMA fighting game, yet it does a very poor job of being that in high level play.

GrayFoxPL

I doubt these throw mechanics will stay but if they do the Evo will be funny to watch.

"Knee actually landed a throw! Amazing!"

Numb

I doubt these throw mechanics will stay but if they do the Evo will be funny to watch.

"Knee actually landed a throw! Amazing!"

Gonna be hilarious.
They need to bring Tekken 7 to people if they are to participate though.
Otherwise Asia will have months of xp over European and American players.

I don't just mean evasive moves. I'm saying that high level play has always been about evasion. It has always been the dominant play style for Tekken, which is basically supposed to be the MMA fighting game, yet it does a very poor job of being that in high level play.

Its a game. If the developers want to make a defense heavy game they will and they have. Trying to tie it to real life fighting just doesn't fall in line with the video gamey nature.

Manbig

Its a game. If the developers want to make a defense heavy game they will and they have. Trying to tie it to real life fighting just doesn't fall in line with the video gamey nature.

That's what I'm saying though, they clearly didn't land here intentionally. They wanted Tekken to be the MMA game with diverse fighting styles battling it out, but it hasn't really been like that since Tekken 3. They went along for the ride, but with every buff/nerf, it is incredibly obvious that is still what they really want.

- Although it was improved a bit in Tag 2, movement has been nerfed more often than not ever since Tag 1.

- They constantly improve poking damage.

- They add a ton of evasive moves, so unique offense can take the place of movement.

- They add throws that start juggles.

- There are far more + on hit lows than there used to be, so it's easier to mix up and maintain offense.

- They nerf the hell out of low parry so you don't get absolutely slaughtered (at least not as badly) for just going for a low poke.

- They added homing moves as absolute almost 100% anti sidestep/walk option. Yes, a lot of these moves tracked in past games, but the tracking was improved with the addition of the homing mechanic because these moves now auto realign instead of just having a good hitbox to chase you down or a built in dash input to help realign.

All of these changes point to them attempting to diversify viable playstyles in the game, yet one play style still rules all others to the point of making them obsolete at high level play. Bait whiff, and punish. Defense is just too damn strong in Tekken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8DsunS00o
Ling Xiaoyu T7 changes

Glad that she still has Hypnotist stance despite her Ultra taking it's notation. d/b+1+2 was her left hand crouch jab, but it has less range than Yoshi flash so I don't care about losing it. Biggest nerf is AOP is now officially pointless as an evasive tool. That and whatever comes of the throw nerfs. I do look forward to using what old man Wang taught her. Now I know what has changed so I can pretty well start developing my TTT2 Xiaoyu around as if the changes are already in affect. Beyond that, I am good on Tekken 7 knowledge. Tekken 7 2025 release is cool with me. TTT2 till then.

Defense is just too damn strong in Tekken.

Yeah I disagree. Tekken is like every other fighting game in that until you get to the higher levels of competitiveness nobody is playing solid defense so once you get there it's quite a shock. A high level player should be able to beat a lesser player just by standing still and punishing obvious patterns.

Yeah I disagree. Tekken is like every other fighting game in that until you get to the higher levels of competitiveness nobody is playing solid defense so once you get there it's quite a shock. A high level player should be able to beat a lesser player just by standing still and punishing obvious patterns.

No defense is too damn strong. You can't pressure anyone in this game without, constantly worrying about hopkicks, sway moves, random mid-crushes, high crushes, low crushes, low parries, reversals, weak throws, power crushes and rage arts.

Like its odd how hard it is to actually pressure someone who isn't afraid to do shit while they're being pressured.

LowParry

Ling Xiaoyu T7 changes

Glad that she still has Hypnotist stance despite her Ultra taking it's notation. d/b+1+2 was her left hand crouch jab, but it has less range than Yoshi flash so I don't care about losing it. Biggest nerf is AOP is now officially pointless as an evasive tool. That and whatever comes of the throw nerfs. I do look forward to using what old man Wang taught her. Now I know what has changed so I can pretty well start developing my TTT2 Xiaoyu around as if the changes are already in affect. Beyond that, I am good on Tekken 7 knowledge. Tekken 7 2025 release is cool with me. TTT2 till then.

Now if they'd only bring back her 2+3+4 taunt that hits/counter attacks. I miss that. She's looking pretty damn good though.

sasuke_91

Ling Xiaoyu T7 changes

Sounds like a mix of buffs and nerfs.

Maan. I like Tosin. He's a great player, reached Duelist recently and I think he really deserves that rank... but his connection is so fucking bad! Random lag spikes, input lag much higher than usual. Using lows and throws almost feels like cheating. I can't even enjoy playing against him anymore.

Playing a lot of german players recently has made me realize how much more fun it is to talk through headset while playing. I wonder why we never do this^^

Manbig

Hwo players gonna have to work harder to maintain their pressure.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/568373249253515264

A high level player vs a low level player has absolutely nothing to do with what I talking about. Of course they are going to be rewarded because the low level player is going to do some stupid predictable shit that they will eat them alive for. The defense doesn't even need to be that strong at all to have that in place.

Pachimari

How do you remember which commands do what moves? So when somebody says d+3,4 you know exactly what attack is being done? Is it really just all muscle memory through hours of practice?

I'm gonna start up Tag 2 in 2 hours time and practice with Bruce. I'm gonna give him a honorable sendoff before Tekken 7 arrives.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nip444
lol maybe they don't know because you keep changing it up as you go along?
He haven't changed up anything? Kazumi were always Heihachi's former wife.

Dereck

yKNnRW3.png
4cwK7aK.png
N2jB7UK.png
7g7fwCF.png
Xq3nW8W.png
eWQk0JU.png
UhFfNyc.png
OSgMBP9.png
XOUBoAA.png
11jm2yU.png
m3zYRBo.png
Yac49kO.png
4OdYh2R.png
ERcKCtZ.png
fPkfHrD.png
lw68iUM.png
rIfjs1E.png
jIsWd2Y.png
KLpxsgj.png
ilLSiDi.png

Spuck-uk

Banned
How do you remember which commands do what moves? So when somebody says d+3,4 you know exactly what attack is being done? Is it really just all muscle memory through hours of practice?

I'm gonna start up Tag 2 in 2 hours time and practice with Bruce. I'm gonna give him a honorable sendoff before Tekken 7 arrives.

Basically, yes. Tekken at a high level requires a pretty insane amount of character knowledge

sasuke_91

As a Hwoarang player you know immediately what move he is talking about when he says d+3,4. For every character you don't play you either know the notation from experience by just looking at a move, having practiced punishing that move in practice mode or you just look at the movelist of that character on YouTube.

And well... d+3,4 having pushback now is weird.

AAK

LC has the Jacket Ling Xiaoyu wears in her TTT2 alt...

Yup... they're actually gonna go with the TTT2 system for customs... Namco seriously WTF. Please remove Customization in its entirety if we're gonna be subjected to this shit.

Two points here.

1. I assumed that it went without saying, but I guess I'll just spell it out. I wanted them to go with a 50/50 set up and to redesign the throw breaks to better balance that.

2. The reason that I think that this would work for Tekken is because characters with GS already have this option and it has worked out quite alright for the most part. The thing that should separate the good grapplers from the bad is damage and/or follow up oki, not having weird and exclusive throw breaking rules.

Throws should be strong. I always found it so weird how Tekken is supposed to be about several fighting styles, but the one style that damn near makes everything else obsolete is evasiveness. Grappling across the board should be stronger. I want the game at the highest level to look less like point fighting in combat sports.

EDIT: After seeing the damage off of Dragunov's d/b3 full juggle in that Nobi video, it's nothing to really be all that excited about. The damage is about the same as it always was. He just gets a lot more wall carry off of it now.

I personally think the grapplers already have that, the Tombstone is the most damaging throw in the game discounting Giant Swing at the wall. But I suppose you had characters like pre-TTT2 Julia that had mad axes and a super strong attack game which I guess does reaffirm your concern with grappling styles being overrated in Tekken.

I'll say that you're right in the fact that grappler character's grabs should have more utility, but I just don't like the guessing aspect personally speaking.

Bryans qcb+3 on CH is a juggle starter now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvorSnUXIq0&feature=youtu.be&a 0:50 sec mark

So it's like Armor King and Lili's sweep. It better give me a large guard stun the same way those moves do so that non WS launch characters can delay hopkick it.

That character doesn't need so many buffs, his balance in TTT2 was perfect.

Hwo players gonna have to work harder to maintain their pressure.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/568373249253515264

I think that's a very fair nerf. Hwoarang still has great lows. Besides at a high level, whenever I get into a range to actually do d+3,4 my opponent already knows about it and sidewalks or quick attacks before I can make the most out if it (d+3,4 isn't particularly fast). So this nerf does make it easier for newer player to not be overwhelmed when stuck in that Hwoarang vortex.

But yeah, at the wall it does hurt his game definitely. I'm actually really liking Hwoarang's changes in this game.

Manbig

What helps along with the process of learning these moves are the common themes in move inputs. Because of the limb based notations, you already have a head start in guessing what a move input is based on the animation. Sure there are some special cases, like Steve's sway, but 99% of the time, when you see a specific limb used for an attack, you can bet that the corresponding button is involved.

The other thing is similarities for certain types of moves. d/f + punch inputs pretty much always indicate either an uppercut, or a quick gut check of sorts. d/b + kick usually indicate either some sort of high crushing low kick, or a low poke with a unique animation.

You get the idea? You eventually will be able to make some educated guesses on inputs just based on their animations.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Bryans QCB isn't like Lili or Lars moves, it doesn't crush at all.

He's certainly getting some beastly buffs though, Nobis day 1 tier list had him and Kazuya on top.

AAK

Bryans QCB isn't like Lili or Lars moves, it doesn't crush at all.

He's certainly getting some beastly buffs though, Nobis day 1 tier list had him and Kazuya on top.

True but they have no mixup off it either. At that range Bryan do the low or the soccer kick launcher. And the low kick will track in the direction you sidewalk the soccer kick... Actually I think the low soccer kick is a full on homing move considering the white streak. It's basically making a low move that does >26 damage, long range, and tracks that wasn't launch punishable even better.

Spuck-uk

Banned
True but they have no mixup off it either. At that range Bryan do the low or the soccer kick launcher. And the low kick will track in the direction you sidewalk the soccer kick... Actually I think the low soccer kick is a full on homing move considering the white streak. It's basically making a low move that does >26 damage, long range, and tracks that wasn't launch punishable even better.

Its also + on normal hit :0

Manbig

Then you sidestep away from the mid and cancel into a duck, since they're both relatively slow moves.

Manbig

Far easier said than done...Don't forget that at that range, Bryan's b+1 will track in the direction you want to sidestep.

At that range, you can backdash away from one, if not both options. Also, the "easier said than done" argument doesn't really fly with me seeing as how that is how Koreans play all of the time. Reduce the match up to simple movement patterns that forces the opponent to adapt in a way that makes them more predictable. That is the ideal way to play Tekken right now in my opinion and if I had the drive, or care to get to that level, it's how I would approach practicing the game.

GrayFoxPL

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nip444
lol maybe they don't know because you keep changing it up as you go along?

Yeah they basically retconed T3 and T4 events and begun total nonsense storyline.

So Grandpa Pachi was hidden in Heihachi's basement for half a century? OK.

Jin loses his marbles, hears voices, starts World War III? OK.

So Kaz suddenly remembered he had a mom who is dead since forever but is back...still dead though, but she must be killed again to be deader then dead?

ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

Yeah we remember million of moves but it's easy since it's limb based. Though over time they changed some notations for technical reasons. Eg Kaz had Sidestep left +1 - left hook, sidestep right +2 - right hook in T5 but they made it just sidestep +1+2 for both sidesteps, but it's still one limb. But if we see Shaheen has df+1,2 we already know it's some mid left punch into right.

As a Hwoarang player you know immediately what move he is talking about when he says d+3,4. For every character you don't play you either know the notation from experience by just looking at a move, having practiced punishing that move in practice mode or you just look at the movelist of that character on YouTube.

And well... d+3,4 having pushback now is weird.

Now it's gonna be much more important for Hwoarang players to push opponents into wall pressure since pushback will be nullified.

Btw if someone missed it these 2 channels have most new T7 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeHeroes/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/yuki95/videos

AAK

At that range, you can backdash away from one, if not both options. Also, the "easier said than done" argument doesn't really fly with me seeing as how that is how Koreans play all of the time. Reduce the match up to simple movement patterns that forces the opponent to adapt in a way that makes them more predictable. That is the ideal way to play Tekken right now in my opinion and if I had the drive, or care to get to that level, it's how I would approach practicing the game.

I guess so, I was just saying that because the guy who I play against is a Bryan main and reducing the defense to that option doesn't necessarily work from my experience. But I do agree that it be my lack of execution in movement that prevents me from doing it whenever I tested it.

Doomshine

Maan. I like Tosin. He's a great player, reached Duelist recently and I think he really deserves that rank... but his connection is so fucking bad! Random lag spikes, input lag much higher than usual. Using lows and throws almost feels like cheating. I can't even enjoy playing against him anymore.
So it's not just me then, I never said anything because no one else seemed to be complaining, but I always had bad connections with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom