• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Outfits' designs in SCV where a major improvement from the SCIV's ones...

Also that "Okay" tier... No. Just no.
Josie is better than those two, and I hate the "cute anime girl" trope
Also you forgot Shaheen, which is actually good (but I'm not a fan of that thing on his shoulder)

Yeah, I would put Shaheen under the "good" caterogry. The design is good but the gameplay style so boring and forgettable.....which is probably why I forgot about him, lol.

Josie's design isn't so bad. It's the mannerisms that make her worse than Katarina and Claudio. Same thing happened with SCV characters. I mean WTFFFF!!!! - at least it leads to good parody videos for my amusement. :)

In a vacuum I think Josie is fine. It's the crying thing and replaced Bruce thing that's most bothersome.

The crying is exactly the issue. I call it Pyrrha syndrome that has taken hold of Namco games recently. And then there's also the fetish with leather and chains on every characters.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lili was on the PSP so I'm gonna still count that as post-PS2 era. Plus, I don't think Lili's a horrible design anywho.

It all started with Tekken 6 console version, which gave us Lars and Alisa. I mean a Bob's a pretty horrible design too but not in the same sense that Lars and Alisa were. Then we got SoulCalibur V which pretty much replaced veteran characters with more horrible and annoying versions of them. And now, Tekken 7, where we have:

Good
Kazumi

Okay
Katarina
Claudio

Bad
Devil Kazumi

Horrible
Josie
Gigas

Offensively Horrible
Lucky Chloe

You think Josie is horrible but Katarina is okay? Waaaaaaaat. :lol

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You think Josie is horrible but Katarina is okay? Waaaaaaaat. :lol

Katarina doesn't cry like a small child. That descriptor is important here, as Josie's crying in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be bad. It's the how that makes it obnoxious.

From a design standpoint I feel Shaheen is the best among the new characters imo.

I like LC's moveset from what I can see but that weeb aspect is just so cringeworthy.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Katarina doesn't cry like a small child. That descriptor is important here, as Josie's crying in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be bad. It's the how that makes it obnoxious.

Don't you call her passion moe obnoxious! :p

I understand though

Katarina is pretty awesome, actually. She got that sass. It's just unfortunate her 2D concept art didn't translate so well into a 3D model.

I like her attitude, but her model... ehhhhhh.

Dereck

Katarina's 3D model is the lowest point of the character. The face could use a re-do to look more like the concept art.

Her chest size is silly and her fighting stance makes her look odd when she backdashes.

Good
---

Okay
Kazumi
Lucky Chloe
Gigas

Bad
Claudio

Horrible
Josie

Offensively Horrible
Katarina

That's how I see it. Visually, I don't consider Lucky Chloe's design as bad, but her fighting style and annoying behaviour make her stand out as a character that's outside if the Tekken universe, like she's a guest character from an Idolmaster game or some other weird game.

Creaking

Indeed, Shaheen and Kazumi are the best new characters design-wise since the T6 I'd say. That T6 era was rough.

I thought most of the vanilla T6 characters had solid designs, especially if we take 2p outfits into account.

Miguel_versus_Lars_-_T6_BR_-_2.jpg

Miguel where are you baby

Creaking

I haven't seen enough of her in Fated Retribution to make a solid claim, but Katarina's face seemed to look better than it did in vanilla 7. Maybe her hair too. Need better screens.

GrayFoxPL

In T7 Lee loses all his riches, his company, everything. He ends up on the street. After a year he becomes a full time homeless/beggar. He has overgrown beard, messy hair and wears rags. He's unrecognizable. He fights on the streets for pennies and scraps of food.

When he sees the announcement of King of Iron Fist Tournament 7 his eyes lit up.

"I'm going to get everything back!"

He enters T7 under new name: "Beggar Lee".

Sayah

If only her Devil form didn't look like a bad "human Okami Amaterasu" fanart...

In T7 Lee loses all his riches, his company, everything. He ends up on the street. After a year he becomes a full time homeless/beggar. He has overgrown beard, messy hair and wears rags. He's unrecognizable. He fights on the streets for pennies and scraps of food.

When he sees the announcement of King of Iron Fist Tournament 7 his eyes lit up.

"I'm going to get everything back!"

He enters T7 under new name: "Beggar Lee".

lmao

Dereck

Harada has been involved with making fighting games for over 20 years, sometimes I wonder how or why he chooses to come off as so obtuse or ignorant about the stuff that I think he knows about already. Why are you on Twitter asking about costume DLC like all people care about are bikinis. People have been asking for legacy costume DLC since 2014, what is this guy talking about

Village

The more traditional designs, relatively grounded characters based on a real fighting style(or pop culture), are still good. Katarina and Shaheen are cool. It's the anime that needs to go.

There would be no tekken with out anime

The two protagonists, are Heterochromia Devil man and Lincoln Park Satan

Numb

Harada has been involved with making fighting games for over 20 years, sometimes I wonder how or why he chooses to come off as so obtuse or ignorant about the stuff that I think he knows about already. Why are you on Twitter asking about costume DLC like all people care about are bikinis. People have been asking for legacy costume DLC since 2014, what is this guy talking about
Giving people options to custom their characters shouldn't make them think they don't want more customs created by the dev team
Atleast have the legacy stuff as pieces in the game we can put together
But nah. Same bikini and Idolmaster outfits for everyone

There would be no tekken with out anime

The two protagonists, are Heterochromia Devil man and Lincoln Park Satan
Tekken so anime it circled back to normal

Creaking

Maybe not so much the "anime" needs to go, but I wish they would take less inspiration from high school waifu anime. But I guess that's what's popular in Japan these days.

Also Paul...

6fvHMiK.gif

I wish they would take some of the "anime" out of Calibur as well. I still love the series, but go back to more Wushu inspired or dark fantasy or something.

Creaking

I wish they would take some of the "anime" out of Calibur as well. I still love the series, but go back to more Wushu inspired or dark fantasy or something.

Man, SCV went so overboard on that. Natsu was straight up female Naruto down to the backstory. And the other new characters were basically one small character element or trope stretched across their entire personalities.

SCIV started getting a little OTT with some armor designs too. Siegfried most notably.

Village

Maybe not so much the "anime" needs to go, but I wish they would take less inspiration from high school waifu anime. But I guess that's what's popular in Japan these days.

Anime has changed man, things are created and influenced new things. Its the nature of artistic mediums, if you wish to question this change and suggest this change might be the result of some issues in society on a wide spread level in japan. While I think that's a topic everyone in their mom might be interested in, don't think this is the thread for it.

I would be more ok with lucky cloe if she had her , JSRF prototype outfit. If that shit is customization i'll try her out.

DEATH™

It's hard to say anything when your bosses are trying to look at every word you say.

Just like you said before, just take what he says like he's a Namco PR guy. Doesn't mean he isn't listening, it's just dude can't say everything.

GrayFoxPL

Also Paul...

6fvHMiK.gif

3781707.jpg

But really I'd be deathfisting ppl even if it did jab worth of damage. And that's what's likely gonna be after 8 months worth of patches.

Chanel just demoted the highest ranked Akuma in Korea. He exposed a lot of holes in Akuma's game. So if you see Akuma cancel into Demon Flip you can SW that on reaction and he has zero tracking from it. You can get straight to his back and light him the fuck up. You can also dash under off certain cancels like WS+2 and get straight to Akuma's back and fuck his whole day up.

Numb

Chanel just demoted the highest ranked Akuma in Korea. He exposed a lot of holes in Akuma's game. So if you see Akuma cancel into Demon Flip you can SW that on reaction and he has zero tracking from it. You can get straight to his back and light him the fuck up. You can also dash under off certain cancels like WS+2 and get straight to Akuma's back and fuck his whole day up.
I was hoping the tatsu out of the flip would track
Saw one time it got used on a guys wakeup crossing him up and hitting his back

Son Of D

Man, SCV went so overboard on that. Natsu was straight up female Naruto down to the backstory. And the other new characters were basically one small character element or trope stretched across their entire personalities.

SCIV started getting a little OTT with some armor designs too. Siegfried most notably.

SCIV Siegfried was a mess. Much prefer the look he has in SCV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom