• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harada has demonstrated time and again that he gives no fucks.

Probably for the best.

No Fandom really knows what's best for them. All these ideas we may come up with may end up implemented wrong or may not just work with the game. We talk all this shit about what should happen with this game or that but sometimes we really don't know and we throw shit out there because we think its kool

ZeroX03

Banned
Harada shouldn't be listening to most talk. If you got a reasonable suggestion - game balance, bug report, feature request - politely tweet/FB it to him and leave it at that. He does read stuff.

If you just don't like something because it isn't to your taste, Harada gives zero fucks and rightly so.

GrayFoxPL

FVRJ2lT.gif

Harada also isn't listening for years that ppl want more real martial arts and less freaks, clowns and shitty designs. But that's ok right? He shouldn't be listening because players are dumb, don't know what they want and you gotta force shit on them.

Harada also isn't listening for years that ppl want more real martial arts and less freaks, clowns and shitty designs. But that's ok right? He shouldn't be listening because players are dumb, don't know what they want and you gotta force shit on them.

Well, yeah. You're basically proving the point folks are making to not listen to people's demands.

You say you want real martial arts and no clowns, and yet you want Kuma back who is 1) a joke character, going around dancing and farting people in the face 2) definitely not using anything close to real martial arts.

¯\(O_°)/¯

GrayFoxPL

Well, yeah. You're basically proving the point folks are making to not listen to people's demands.

You say you want real martial arts and no clowns, and yet you want Kuma back who is 1) a joke character, going around dancing and farting people in the face 2) definitely not using anything close to real martial arts.

¯\(O_°)/¯

Yeah I'll take ONE Kuma for all those dozens of clowns, easily. ONE. In a game where half characters are already clowns he'd be "generic" and that's what sad and funny.

Like I said before fighting bears is a legend in karate and Kuma wasn't a total joke in first iterations, Harada made him one later similar to what he did with Paul or Law. Harada thinks he's funny like that. Har, har. Then he creates Alisa. If it's true he named his daughter after her then I can only imagine how highly he thinks of his designs.

Yeah I'll take ONE Kuma for all those dozens of clowns, easily. ONE. In a game where half characters are already clowns he'd be "generic" and that's what sad and funny.

Like I said before fighting bears is a legend in karate and Kuma wasn't a total joke in first iterations, Harada made him one later similar to what he did with Paul or Law. Harada thinks he's funny like that. Har, har. Then he creates Alisa. If it's true he named his daughter after her then I can only imagine how highly he thinks of his designs.

Don't mean to call you out or anything. Just think a complaint like 'no shitty designs' doesn't mean much unless you explain it properly. No one wants shitty designs. But pretty sure there's going to be some gigantic variance between people on what 'shitty' means.

If you were Harada or Murray and someone said "Hey, no stupid joke characters! But bring back the farting bear, i like him." what would you think?

---
I would enjoy a somewhat more serious tone as well. I don't like joke characters or items at all, generally speaking.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah I just...

Tekken once a rival to VF now is a rival to Street Fighter. In the tone, in characters, in the fantasy like animations, supers, even story, everything. Harada made it so. I don't understand this guy anymore.

I'll drop it. Sorry guys.

FVRJ2lT.gif

All of the new characters introduced besides like maybe Gigas, Claduio, and of course Miss Chloe fit some kind of request for a character that I've seen since Tekken 6. Whether it be a new real life fighting style(savate), Nationalities Represented(Saudi and Philippines), Lore related(Who was Kazuya's mom?), or Guest Characters (Lord Akumer).

Its not that they don't listen, we just don't like what we're given because its not how we wanted it.

Doomshine

Harada hand models and textures the customizations and does motion capture for Alisa, but only when he can find time between designing the next Lucky Chloe and writing Paul's new story involving the Illuminati.

GrayFoxPL

Katarina's Savate is like 3-4 real moves rest is Fantasy Zone. Saudis are probably rolling seeing Shaheen's "martial art". It looks like Katarina's move set and Shaheen's were taken from the same pile and randomly exchanged between characters. Every move fits either character.

It's not like Jin or Bruce where actual martial art is represented.
After DR they started to fill most characters with random sci-fi animations, it's easy to see on characters like Feng or Raven.

Kazumi in the pile of throwing tigers and shit has some interesting traditional karate stuff but in general they aren't taking this shit seriously anymore.

I'm actually quite happy with the new fighters now that there's Kazumi + Katarina + a female ninja in Master Raven. My tastes are pretty well catered to. I think there's five or so characters i want to play? That's well above a lot of other fighting games (because those often have smaller casts admittedly).

Just wish it wasn't so far awaaaay. At least KoF is coming soon i guess.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
If you were Harada or Murray and someone said "Hey, no stupid joke characters! But bring back the farting bear, i like him." what would you think?

You say you want real martial arts and no clowns, and yet you want Kuma back who is 1) a joke character, going around dancing and farting people in the face 2)

Yo, Kuma has one obscure useless move where he fart KOs an opponent. You keep saying it like it's the pith of the character. Only SF X Tekken made it prevalent,and honestly fuck SF X Tekken.

The dance move is pretty much a taunt. It used to be less prevalent, but then Tag 2 fight lab (aka everything obnoxious about modern Tekken) happened.

Not saying that Kuma isn't goofy, but the farting is like 1/80th of his moveset and the most useless part of it at that.

I thought peoples problems with Kuma boiled down to either a) it's a bear and not a human b) it's a bear but he doesn't animate anything like real bears or c) it's a character with stupid hitboxes on his lower body that is frustrating to fight against.

Yo, Kuma has one obscure useless move where he fart KOs an opponent. You keep saying it like it's the pith of the character. Only SF X Tekken made it prevalent,and honestly fuck SF X Tekken.

The dance move is pretty much a taunt. It used to be less prevalent, but then Tag 2 fight lab (aka everything obnoxious about modern Tekken) happened.

Not saying that Kuma isn't goofy, but the farting is like 1/80th of his moveset and the most useless part of it at that.

Sure. Are you claiming he's not a joke character? That's what i'm saying, that he's a joke character.

Edit: it might be nice if only things with a large mechanical impact on playstyle get to influence how one perceives a character. Lucky Chloe fans would be glad to hear it, no more need for people to piss on that character because of her appearance right? Josie too, the much maligned crying no longer counts for anything.

But i don't think that's how it works, so i don't think 'Oh it's only 1/80th of his movelist' or 'it's only a taunt' is all that relevant a remark. It's still there. It's not 'obscure' either if everyone knows about it. In my opinion, the bears are very much joke characters with how they've been presented over the years and it only got worse in later games. The dancing and the farting are the most egregious instances, so they serve as good examples. Feel free to disagree.

I thought peoples problems with Kuma boiled down to either a) it's a bear and not a human b) it's a bear but he doesn't animate anything like real bears or c) it's a character with stupid hitboxes on his lower body that is frustrating to fight against.

For me it's all that and it's also an obnoxious troll character. Well, not a) so much. I can imagine a theoretical scary monster bear character that might be awesome. As Grayfox mentioned, fighting bears is a martial arts manga staple. The current Kuma is not that, however.

Sayah

It definitely is the case that Tekken's always had some silliness, but it was mostly contained in the past. Now its gotten to the point that it's straight up in your face 90% of the time from the atrocious customization options. At least Tekken 6 had individualized customs that made sense for the character. Tekken 7 just went all in and made sure you could put a running shower, butterfly wings, large ass clown glasses, and all the other absurd items in this game on any character you want.

Also, I look back to Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 and think the character designs were sooooo much better back then (even if Raven was a blade rip off). Christie, Steve, Marduk, Feng, Asuka......all so amazing. Until Tekken 6 came along with its Bobs, Lars, and Alisas and devolved what was an interesting story for characters like Asuka into some silly prepubescent-level rivalry with Lili. Tekken 7 just continued what Tekken 6 started and amplified it further.

Thankfully, the devs for this game have been listening to fan complaints and are making improvements based on those complaints. The changes they made are what led to the "looks boring/don't care" attitude people had with vanilla Tekken 7 to the more enthused attitude for FR. But unfortunately, some of the damage has already been done and is irreversible with designs like chloe, gigas, and devil kazumi.

Sayah

I also mentioned what I said in my last paragraph above to indicate that Harada and team are listening to the fans, contrary to what a lot of you are saying here. FR improvements wouldn't have occurred without fan feedback. I'm pretty confident returning characters would still be in their decade old costumes if there wasn't all the complaining that happened. Now FR has a fresh look and a more interested audience.

Tekken at its most iconic: (for me personally anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROzh8pSEAo

I can understand why people don't like all the silly stuff when Tekken throughout it's time can make itself look very cool and interesting. Ultimately, afaik Tekken was always made with the idea in mind to just not be a Virtua Fighter knock off and have all the weird shit so not really our vision to make.

Highlights how much it sucks that other 3D fighting games like Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur aren't active today. :(

Also, not sure if you guys heard but Tekken 7 FR has a Magic Mirror Customization item that you can equip on all your characters. It makes it so that you can no longer see the opponent stomp on your corpse when you lose the game but the idea they'd implement something like this hopefully opens up the idea of a 'no customs' display option.

GrayFoxPL

Don't worry guys Kuma has a semi low stance so he won't be in T7.

Wonder how many years and characters gonna pass when ppl notice something about T7.

I mean 31 characters and dudes like Bob and Raven overwrite Lei/Jackie Chan clone, one of the iconic and most recognizable Tekken characters even for non fans. I won't even start on popularity of Eddy replaced by a cat girl. If this doesn't give any ideas of what is going on nothing will. New safe getups, lack of refloats, bounds that are mid to high and not downward attacks, everything works against having those characters.

I still hope in full return of refloats( FR brought back like 10%) or reworked characters with no low stances, but everything in T7 shows they are done with those.

Exr

Is there a good online resource for Tag 2 information? SfV I get tired of pretty quick and I loved Tag 2, want to go back to it and get decent before Tekken 7. I play Bruce and Armor King but Id love to learn Bryan and Steve

Is there a good online resource for Tag 2 information? SfV I get tired of pretty quick and I loved Tag 2, want to go back to it and get decent before Tekken 7. I play Bruce and Armor King but Id love to learn Bryan and Steve

Depends on what you want to know.

Rip/LUYG did introductory vids, those are a nice place to start. (Bryan. Steve.)

For frame data go here, for combos, uh. I usually use the old combo threads on Tekkenzaibatsu still. Or just search on youtube.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm watching Green Tekken stream now, and wow the neon colours are back with a vengeance!

Still think its a shame they didn't go with the concept art B-Girl style Chloe

tumblr_nrcabnwfX01re9fe1o5_1280.jpg

sasuke_91

Where are you from? I can help if you need advice for Steve combos.

I'm watching Green Tekken stream now, and wow the neon colours are back with a vengeance!

Still think its a shame they didn't go with the concept art B-Girl style Chloe

tumblr_nrcabnwfX01re9fe1o5_1280.jpg

Not even as an exclusive costume or anything. Missed opportunity for a great outfit.

So I was just let go from my job only a month in, said that I was not a good fit for the unit I was working in.

Well, I guess that leaves more time for Tekken.

GrayFoxPL

http://rbnorway.org/ttt2-frame-data/

TekkenZaibatsu sections.

Other then that I go to youtube and write: "tt2 bryan steve(or bry/ste)" and watch tons of pros playing those characters while analyzing in my head the proper gameplay.

In short:

Steal all dat juicy ass tech! Hahah.

zNjH5EN.gif

And obviously train and play everyone without bothering about how much you lose.

ggs Grayfox. I think my Raven is slowly improving. Yours is good too!

GGs, sorry I had to cut it short, someone came for a visit.

Yeah it was hard to beat your Raven today. Remember to use more of his moveset.

So I was just let go from my job only a month in, said that I was not a good fit for the unit I was working in.

What? Assholes. Should've deathfisted the boss on your way out.

Rheon

Damn that's rough.
Keep your head up bro, a better one will come along for sure.

And yeah, more time for Tekken is never a bad thing. :)

GrayFoxPL

Like what in particular? Any other tips?

Like if you do df+4,4 mix it up with df+4,4,3 the last is teleport slam from above, if that hits use b+4,4 to bound them.

Also f+3+4,4,2 is not great outside wall combos but if f+3+4 hits alone b+4,4 will bound.

Note the moves that make Raven backturned:

df+2
db+2
f+3 B
b+2,2 B
b+4,4
b+4~b+4
u+3 B
3~4
Haze 3
qcf+4
qcf+2 B
BT 3,4,3
fc df+3+4,4

Mix up highs, mids, and lows when backturned to keep opponent guessing eg after three, four BT 1+2 or b+2 he wont be expecting that d+3 full launcher.

Note the moves that do the teleport kick:

df+4,4,3
u+3,d+3 D(if d+3 hits teleport will combo)
F+3+4,f+4 F 3 ( do it from very far because raven spins around for long before disappearing)
b+4~b+4,3,f+4 F 3

That teleport kick will bound if it hits grounded opponent, even if he does nothing, always.

Try mixups from b+4~b+4 You can pull off tons of moves after that like 3,4,2 or 3, 3+4.
But do it when opponent is scared and blocking, I tried to hit you with this but couldn't since you pushed buttons so fast.

b+2,2,1+2 and b+2,2,3 are low and mid strings which opponent pretty much has to guess. Risky but Raven you gotta play risky.

qcf+2 is a sweep for a weak combo damage so no one expects it ever.

b+1 and b+3 are +5, +6 on block so you can go for offense if they're blocking or not.

I'll practice more solo Raven because didn't play him solo since 6 and we can go more crazy with his moves.

sasuke_91

That's rough :/ I wish you the best of luck searching for a new job.

The hardest exam standing between me and my Bachelor of Science is tommorrow. Wish me good luck guys >_<
I've never been so nervous before an exam :/

Exr

Thanks guys. Im west coast Canada and I dont have time to meet people yet in my city so ill be online only for a bit.

GrayFoxPL

The hardest exam standing between me and my Bachelor of Science is tommorrow. Wish me good luck guys >_<
I've never been so nervous before an exam :/

You do jf skyrocket combos man, you'll do fine!

Look at the bright side, this is definitely gonna be easier then fighting Doomshine!

GrayFoxPL

Thanks. I kinda feel like you just down jab me a lot if i try to go backturned though...

Because you basically you went for 4,1 to get bacturned and that's high, high easy to fish while crouching but here's a hint: if you go u+4 while backturned you'll crush low jabs and get full launch, this works for all(maybe not jack) characters anyway.

I tried that but the down jab interrupted anyway? Which is weird because 4,1 is supposed to be only -2. I'd think BT hopkick would leave the ground fast enough.. ?

Or is that because you're jabbing after the 4?

sasuke_91

You do jf skyrocket combos man, you'll do fine!

Look at the bright side, this is definitely gonna be easier then fighting Doomshine!

Haha kind of true.
I have the fine motor skills required for JFSR, but I can't draw shit. Make me do 10 JFSRs in a row, no biggie. Make me draw a shaft and I fail hard.
I used to draw manga as a kid and I wasn't too bad, but this is nothing like that :p

Good luck! What kinda exam is it?

"Machine Elements and Mechatronics II" would probably be the proper translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom