• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Wow, major applause for that finals. Was such a gem to watch

http://t.co/Lt1IYWvOJV
Thanks! Can't really just it, only heard it by the end of the match.

Watched a more of that nico stream wonkey ripped to youtube. Got to the part where this Kazuya kept revenge matching against a Chloe player cuz he couldnt handle the shame lol

Also noticed that Chloe has another one of Anna's moves, that low sweep punch she does.
Do you have a link?

GrayFoxPL

Kazuya's f3 on counter hit gives a similar feature as Law's fake step parry 2 or Angel's CH df4, which may give him a guaranteed electric afterwards.

Upzoad3.gif

That's a nerf. Old stun gave better oki, but since oki is butchered in T7 then maybe it wouldn't make much difference.

Doomshine

Good games Doomshine. I pretend to be Speedkicks sometimes and choose that Jin/Hwo team. Halfway through the match I forget I have Jin as my partner and fuck up juggles of course :D
Your King/Marduk team brought back those win streaks. You don't use Marduk's throw launcher very often though. I wouldn't have expected it and it's a great panic move. I'm not someone who should tell people about throwing though :p
Good games. I honestly just forgot about it, I always seem to forget about some tools when I'm learning new teams. With King I keep forgetting to use his shove.

You should try to pressure me more when I'm low on health with a character, I can sometimes just backdash a little and get a safe tag since you tend to back off. I think I would be losing more if you chased me down.

GrayFoxPL

I played Bryan Bruce whole day and feel much more confident with Bryan, finally something clicks. Even managed to beat an obvious reranker by sheer Bryan pressure. Felt good. Bring on those T7 buffs.

Manbig

I'll put myself out there and risk the possibility of eating crow for saying this now...

I am going to laugh my ass off when all of your people that are complaining about the oki and declaring it completely butchered despite never having even touched the game, nor having the opinion of anyone that has been able to take the game into some sort of practice mode, are proven wrong.

The oki will always be there. Whether it's a situation where a character gets a strong 50/50 mix up because you teched, or they can score a free strong hit where they would get a float into juggle before, it's still gonna be there.

CSX

I'll put myself out there and risk the possibility of eating crow for saying this now...

I am going to laugh my ass off when all of your people that are complaining about the oki and declaring it completely butchered despite never having even touched the game, nor having the opinion of anyone that has been able to take the game into some sort of practice mode, are proven wrong.

The oki will always be there. Whether it's a situation where a character gets a strong 50/50 mix up because you teched, or they can score a free strong hit where they would get a float into juggle before, it's still gonna be there.

We already kinda see this when it comes to landing those T6 bound enders for wallsplats I think. You see this with the Kazuya players when they do that new df1 string on wallsplat. If the opponent techs it, then they have to 50/50 guess between a hellsweep or a strong mid that re-wallsplats

Manbig

We already kinda see this when it comes to landing those T6 bound enders for wallsplats I think. You see this with the Kazuya players when they do that new df1 string on wallsplat. If the opponent techs it, then they have to 50/50 guess between a hellsweep or a strong mid that re-wallsplats

That's just one tiny example, yes, but even with what we've seen, there's still a lot about that situation that we do not know.

Is there a long recovery period where the opponent cannot sidestep or attack right after that tech?

Is there a small period where they are vulnerable to lows?

Is the opponent completely invincible for the whole duration?

If they are invincible for the whole duration, what about the possibility of using certain attacks as meaty attacks? This tech visually appears to be slower than the usual tech, so maybe there's something more to it?

With the odd way that they stand up during this recovery, how about jump over set ups? Will they return to being as effective as they were before Tekken 6, or will the opponent recover quick enough to prevent you from getting behind them with a jump over?

How about realignment? Does sidestepping while your opponent techs like this give you any DR-esque set ups, or does the opponent constantly realign during the animation?

All of this still has yet to be answered, and I probably STILL missed a few things to consider.

AAK

"Butchered" is just a perspective people have. If someone enjoyed the previous wakeup systems and mindgames to Tekken then they would call it butchered.

On the other hand there are people who hate having to think so much about wakeup and want to rather enjoy the neutral battle of the game, to them T7's oki system to them it's an advancement rather than butchered.

It's all about perspective and what the audience wants. And with the specific system changes happening in T7, I think it's definitely being catered towards the audience that were turned off by the previous Tekken games' okizeme.

av2k

I saw some Lucky Chloe gameplay and she looks extremely annoying. Can't wait to play as her!

Kor requested that I spend a Sunday to 1v1 him to clear up some of his rust so that he can go to final round and some other invitational tournament(not sure what, haven't been keeping up).

Do you guys have anything you would like to know or ask him? I'd be happy to gather a little something so that you guys can have an inside look on our training.

Doomshine

I was never that bothered by the oki change in Revolution and I will continue to not worry about in T7.

Actually, not worrying about it applies to most things in T7 for me.

CSX

I saw some Lucky Chloe gameplay and she looks extremely annoying. Can't wait to play as her!

Kor requested that I spend a Sunday to 1v1 him to clear up some of his rust so that he can go to final round and some other invitational tournament(not sure what, haven't been keeping up).

Do you guys have anything you would like to know or ask him? I'd be happy to gather a little something so that you guys can have an inside look on our training.

Jusst wondering av2k, were you there with him at Austin when ArcadeUFO did a location test for Tag 2 ? If so, I was there lol and got my ass whooped by both the Houston and Dallas players there. I beat him once though with my scrubby ass Miguel but was expected since everyone was there trying to learn the new systems.

Dereck

This is unrelated, ask him if he knows a guy named Saeng.

Saeng is a good player in the New Mexico scene where I live, he told me that he beat KOR at EVO. I don't think he's lying, because he's good, I just want to make sure.

Manbig

"Butchered" is just a perspective people have. If someone enjoyed the previous wakeup systems and mindgames to Tekken then they would call it butchered.

On the other hand there are people who hate having to think so much about wakeup and want to rather enjoy the neutral battle of the game, to them T7's oki system to them it's an advancement rather than butchered.

It's all about perspective and what the audience wants. And with the specific system changes happening in T7, I think it's definitely being catered towards the audience that were turned off by the previous Tekken games' okizeme.

You see, that's the problem with your point of view here. You assume that just because a float was removed and a few new ways to get up are introduced, that automatically means that it's only going to be about the neutral game. That right there is what I'm calling bullshit on.

AAK

You could be right but I honestly doubt it. It's like in T5 DR when they included the quick backroll after things like Ling's u/f+3+4 and (I think) Mach punch it was simply back to the neutral game. I believe it's the same principle.

If I'm wrong, then it'll be crow for dinner. :p

Manbig

You could be right but I honestly doubt it. It's like in T5 DR when they included the quick backroll after things like Ling's u/f+3+4 and (I think) Mach punch it was simply back to the neutral game. I believe it's the same principle.

If I'm wrong, then it'll be crow for dinner. :p

Yeah, but with the introduction of that quick backroll, you were still vulnerable the very moment that you recovered. Certain characters gained some pretty nasty set ups for that particular situation too. Leo comes to mind at the moment.

A crow one of us will be eating.

Butchered is a strong word for something we barely know. Oki is different but butchered makes it seems as there is no Oki at all...which is almost impossible.

sasuke_91

Good games. I honestly just forgot about it, I always seem to forget about some tools when I'm learning new teams. With King I keep forgetting to use his shove.

You should try to pressure me more when I'm low on health with a character, I can sometimes just backdash a little and get a safe tag since you tend to back off. I think I would be losing more if you chased me down.

Yeah, sometimes I really asked myself why I was backdashing. I just gave you an opportunity to do a safe raw tag.
Have you ever been to a tournament? I never asked, but I think you're a good enough player to compete.

Sayah

Watched a more of that nico stream wonkey ripped to youtube. Got to the part where this Kazuya kept revenge matching against a Chloe player cuz he couldnt handle the shame lol

Also noticed that Chloe has another one of Anna's moves, that low sweep punch she does.
Great. More hopelessness. A Tekken without Anna will really suck for me. There's not many characters I can enjoy at that level. Nina is the only other one.

Although I was looking to main a new character, I still needed both Williams there.

av2k

Jusst wondering av2k, were you there with him at Austin when ArcadeUFO did a location test for Tag 2 ? If so, I was there lol and got my ass whooped by both the Houston and Dallas players there. I beat him once though with my scrubby ass Miguel but was expected since everyone was there trying to learn the new systems.

Ah yes, I was the Mishima player that had around a 10 win streak on TTT2 (partly because I knew what I was doing from Prologue), I traveled with Kor, Devil Jim, and NeoX so perhaps I got to play you. Haha, how's fubarduck and the arcade doing?

This is unrelated, ask him if he knows a guy named Saeng.

Saeng is a good player in the New Mexico scene where I live, he told me that he beat KOR at EVO. I don't think he's lying, because he's good, I just want to make sure.

I'm not sure if Renee remembers Saeng but I certainly do. He is from the Tekken 4 days so I can vouch for him as a solid OG player so I wouldn't put it pass him that he beat Kor since he used to do well back in the day (2002). He use to play Lee and spam ss+2,1,2,4:4 all the time if I remember correctly. He used to go to the Tekken in Texas tournaments but all of a sudden disappeared, glad he's still around and kicking. I'll ask Kor if he remembers!

CSX

Ah yes, I was the Mishima player that had around a 10 win streak on TTT2 (partly because I knew what I was doing from Prologue), I traveled with Kor, Devil Jim, and NeoX so perhaps I got to play you. Haha, how's fubarduck and the arcade doing?

Wouldn't know. I'm also from Houston Lol. I was lucky to be there cuz I had friends that go to UT and let me ride with them as they looked for apartments. I remember deviljim beating my ass so hard Lol. I was so nervous and have near zero PvP experience to the point I played DVJ and just 112 all day Lol.

I remember one of the Dallas players calling you a cheater cuz you were playing Prolouge characters. I remember beating NeoX one time too and he made a face like "how did I lose to this kid?" Lol

Sayah

Wonkey posted the soundtracks for some of the stages and I'm REALLY not feeling the music this time (except for the jungle stage). This might be a first for the Tekken series.

Tekken Revolution even has way better soundtrack than Tekken 7 and it's a F2P game.

The music has to match with the mood of the stage. The snow stage has this really serious feel to it and then I heard the soundtrack and it has disco type music voice acting in there. It's so off-putting.

I'll be very happy if Tekken Tunes is making a return because I'm not listening to this while I'm fighting.

AAK

Oh, hmmm, it is kinda different. Anna doesn't turn around completely. Also, from my eyes looking at the position of the hitspark, it looked more like a mid than a low. And lastly, I don't think she was in full crouch long enough for Anna's move to work and I think it looked more like a move from neutral. Other people can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dereck

I'm not sure if Renee remembers Saeng but I certainly do. He is from the Tekken 4 days so I can vouch for him as a solid OG player so I wouldn't put it pass him that he beat Kor since he used to do well back in the day (2002). He use to play Lee and spam ss+2,1,2,4:4 all the time if I remember correctly. He used to go to the Tekken in Texas tournaments but all of a sudden disappeared, glad he's still around and kicking. I'll ask Kor if he remembers!
No need, that's all the proof I need.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah exactly, to me it's butchered. I see all those pretty much safe wakeup animations from every knockdown position (that btw look incredibly stupid, like I yoga get ups) and think what is this? So what, I can barely have the option to make them guess a mid or a low? At best whiff high into a mid, low or throw(wait "throw" lol.) This is what is left?

We already know the new flop animation (like after kaz df+1,2) is not a spike and all those combos were bullshit because people just never teched it and they could. Probably for the better, but yeah it's meh.

I can understand that from perspective of eg. VF players T7 oki could be considered even too dangerous even now, but when VF just adds truckload of invincible frames to wake up then eg. Tekken 6 zero invincibility wake up system is something from another planet.

But that's what I know, like and want. I don't want VF esque oki in Tekken that for me does nothing. I don't want safe techs from every position because noobs whine and bitch about being refloated. It's all about being too lazy to learn. Essence of Tekken was players never truly being safe, big part of that being murdered after knockdown and figuring out how to get up and turn the tide. I don't want safety belts. Fuck that. I like the "brutality" of old oki.

This whole let ladies and gentlemen get up safely as soon as possible so we could have an honorable fisticuffs my lads is pathetic.

People say you didn't play it you don't know shit. Yeah I didn't play it but I have eyes and a brain and can analyze and process when players actually play. If much better players then myself can or cannot do shit (say oki wise in this subject) I don't have to actually be able to try it now to know I wouldn't be able to produce a miracle now would I?

So yeah watching what is happening in T7 matches I said oki is butchered. It comes to comparison to what I know from earlier.

But that's just me. I don't impose my point of view on anyone. No one is a moron to me if he thinks this is a major improvement and arguments for it. I can see why, I just don't share that "why".

I don't understand why there would be any "crow eating" in this regard. You either like what you see or don't. I see dumb ass new quick get ups and lack of rejuggling and I don't like it. Simple as that. Should I eat crow because eventually everyone, myself included will have to get used to this new oki and live with it? That's no crow eating, that is just what is imposed, a necessity.

Yeah, the move does look a little different from Anna's and Chloe seems to be turning around with it. Also, as AAK mentioned, it appears to be a mid as opposed to a low. Now maybe I am seeing things or it's the quality of the video, but I think I saw Lucky Chloe performing something that looks similar Anna's rising + 2 graceful uppercut move. Not sure. It's around the 4:45:16 mark. Hmm....

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, the move does look a little different from Anna's and Chloe seems to be turning around with it. Also, as AAK mentioned, it appears to be a mid as opposed to a low. Now maybe I am seeing things or it's the quality of the video, but I think I saw Lucky Chloe performing something that looks similar Anna's rising + 2 graceful uppercut move. Not sure. It's around the 4:45:16 mark. Hmm....

They could've remade old animations but it's still not the same.

God Chloe is such a dumbass character.

Pachimari

Seems like a Japanese ad have revealed, that we can customize the life bars. Nothing is sure though. It can be found on Flying Wonkey's Twitter.

Sayah

According to Haradas twitter, Tekken 7 has made "record income" for its prelaunch version and people's response to the game has been "mostly very good."

People wonder why they still release this series in arcades first.

So a bunch of wonkey's tweets have been about combo damage comparison. Some very simple combos will do as much damage as longer ones because of the damage scaling.

I wonder if the only reward for doing more complicated combos is a further wall carry? It seems like most of the wall damage is nerfed though, so that isn't great. I think that would heavily tilt the game in favor of characters who can do 50/50s or some kind of guessing game off the wall, like mentioned above.

Glad to hear the game is doing well.

Spuck-uk

Banned
So a bunch of wonkey's tweets have been about combo damage comparison. Some very simple combos will do as much damage as longer ones because of the damage scaling.

I wonder if the only reward for doing more complicated combos is a further wall carry? It seems like most of the wall damage is nerfed though, so that isn't great. I think that would heavily tilt the game in favor of characters who can do 50/50s or some kind of guessing game off the wall, like mentioned above.

Glad to hear the game is doing well.

Wall isn't all about damage though. There's the ability to get damage from generally safe moves, without the opponent having the ability to backdash out of pressure.

I do like the idea of generally shorter combos though, ot that I have problems performing them, but its slows the pace of the game down.

According to Haradas twitter, Tekken 7 has made "record income" for its prelaunch version and people's response to the game has been "mostly very good."

Well, obviously Harada isn't going to say anything other than good. The mostly is the key word to some honesty. Tekken 7 is the first new Tekken in arcades to ever cause enough problems to have arcade operators to step in and disallow play. I am not saying Tekken 7 is bad or getting bad reviews, but don't be fooled by marketing 101.

In regards to the oki and ground games. Refloats aren't even gone as a Xiaoyu player found a few ways to refloat with Xiaoyu. But honestly I hope refloating is removed completely in the full release. There is nothing fun about it other than the initial discovery. I mean I felt pretty cool to find a Xiaoyu juggle setup that I can either refloat you for standing with RDS d/b+4 or I can RDS f+3+4,3+4 to infinity until you do in TTT2. But in actual matches, I feel like a total scumbag to use it.

What I hope for, especially with this new techroll. Is that unblockable tech traps and tech traps in general return. The most hype moments in Tekken 6 were the unblockable tech traps. I want Tekken's get up system to remain as brutal as it has always been, but it is too unrealistic and difficult to understand in TTT2. How and why you got punished for getting up should make at least a little bit of real world sense.

Do not get me started on reused animations. There are several characters I would really like to use in Tekken, but their animations make my eyes bleed.

GreyFoxPL said:
I don't understand why there would be any "crow eating" in this regard.

Because this:

This whole let ladies and gentlemen get up safely as soon as possible so we could have an honorable fisticuffs my lads is pathetic.

Doesn't really match up with what we've seen so far. It doesn't even match up with TR. The assessment is off. It's still Namco Oki. Not VF or DOA

Manbig

Because this:

Doesn't really match up with what we've seen so far. It doesn't even match up with TR. The assessment is off. It's still Namco Oki. Not VF or DOA

Where did that quote come from? KTA? Or was that just something you threw together as a mock general sentiment?

GrayFoxPL

"Mostly" as in 95% or 55%? He didn't say "overwhelmingly positive" so it couldn't be that great.

Wonder what will change/be reverted in march release.

GrayFoxPL

GrayFox said that in his post. Or were you talking about something else.

It's safe as fuck compared to T6, it's clear as day and that's what I generally meant, but it's hard to explain to you anything since whatever you post you just disagree with someone about something. It's like Monty Python routine. And don't put TR and DOA where I didn't mention them.

It's safe as fuck compared to T6, it's clear as day and that's what I generally meant, but it's hard to explain to you anything since whatever you post you just disagree with someone about something. It's like Monty Python routine. And don't put TR and DOA where I didn't mention them.

Its safer ok...Still Tekken oki and by extension Namco oki since Soul Calibur and Tekken pretty much work the same way with the amount of choice you have in your wake up options. I brought up DOA and TR to expound on my own argument that picking people up or the brutality isn't what makes Tekken oki. Its the options. I honestly think you don't have the FG experience to actually see that however like when you made your incorrect assessments about Power Crushes and Rage Arts when they were first revealed.

And yes, I disagree a lot because I don't share the same general opinions as most folk. You don't have to respond to everything I say nor do you have to care. If you don't respond I get the hint and shut up. Just let me state my opinion and if you wanna debate it go ahead, if not move on and talk about something else.

AAK

Isn't Tekken okizeme far more lenient than Soul Calibur's?

In Soul Calibur 5 (the only one I played), if you techrolled a certain direction I get a free super on you for 100 damage (I only played Hilde).

Doomshine

In Soul Calibur 5 (the only one I played), if you techrolled a certain direction I get a free super on you for 100 damage (I only played Hilde).
I think teching is more dangerous in SC, but you can't really be floated like in Tekken either.

Depends on how dangerous you consider certain things. I think floats make Tekken Oki a lot less lenient that SC's. But if you stay on the ground in SC you can take LOADS of damage. Teching in both games is generally safe besides certain situations like the Hilde one or unblockable tech trap in Tekken. Of course SC has the 8wayrun so siderolling is really good but it has to be because positioning is more important in that game.

But they both excel in giving you a lot of options on wake up. The same "you won't let me get up" complaint you see in Tekken, you see in SC for the same reasons. Actually you see that in any fighting game but you see it in these games the most.

Manbig

Yeah Soul Calibur 5 has certain moves that hit grounded that stun you so you get hit with a free follow up. There's also moves that will fully launch you from grounded position. It can get pretty crazy for people, but the difference between how it works in SCV vs how it currently works in Tag 2 is that SC punishes you heavily for staying on the floor, while Tekken punishes you heavily for getting up too fast. The typical mashing newbie will obviously try to mash to get up as quickly as possible, so they will fall for the hardest hitting stuff in the Tekken style oki way more than they would for the hardest hitting stuff in the SC style oki.

Yeah Soul Calibur 5 has certain moves that hit grounded that stun you so you get hit with a free follow up. There's also moves that will fully launch you from grounded position. It can get pretty crazy for people, but the difference between how it works in SCV vs how it currently works in Tag 2 is that SC punishes you heavily for staying on the floor, while Tekken punishes you heavily for getting up too fast. The typical mashing newbie will obviously try to mash to get up as quickly as possible, so they will fall for the hardest hitting stuff in the Tekken style oki way more than they would for the hardest hitting stuff in the SC style oki.

What I wanted to say but much better lol. There was even a just frame tech roll in SC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom