• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

It doesn't change at all?

Now that Kaz can trade his df+2 with pokes into full combo? Or Steve ducking f+2 or df+2? That doesn't change anything about way of playing the game? There can be literally hundreds examples of situations where earlier character gained almost nothing from trade now has a potential for big comeback or domination.

Earlier basically Mishimas had that comfort of trading electric with pokes for combo, now every character potentially can with their equally fast ch launcher like Steve's b+1.

You know how critical I am with T7 but I can't deny this is actual change in how the game is played. Not some nonsense RageArts or Power crushes. CH trades it's what will change hundreds of these little situations that been the same for years.

Okay, b+1 now launches with Steve on trade in T7. How will that change how I play Steve? his b+1 gets a buff but I'm not going to spontaneously use b+1 more than usual now. b+1 is still a counter hit tool and will now land a launcher more than usual. But I'm not playing Steve any differently.

An example of playing a game differently is like introducing Bound in Tekken 6. With that mechanic Hwoarang can finally get good okizeme off a juggle which was impossible in T5 unless he did a terrible damage juggle which is never worth doing.

GrayFoxPL

Okay, b+1 now launches with Steve on trade in T7. How will that change how I play Steve? his b+1 gets a buff but I'm not going to spontaneously use b+1 more than usual now. b+1 is still a counter hit tool and will now land a launcher more than usual. But I'm not playing Steve any differently.

An example of playing a game differently is like introducing Bound in Tekken 6. With that mechanic Hwoarang can finally get good okizeme off a juggle which was impossible in T5 unless he did a terrible damage juggle which is never worth doing.

OK you don't but other people probably will when they throw out of old habits. People right now are still playing with old mindset. "Oh he's spamming that mid poke, no sense in trying this as always." Now he can. And even with poke trades the frame data is going to be different now.

It may be nothing for you. I get it, I too expected huge, defining changes before the game was showed but if it doesn't have them I take at least those ch trades and see their potential.

Maybe with TekkenxSF or Tekken Zero/Remake(there will be huge changes).

AAK

Oh trust me I've given up all hope at anything new being introduced in Tekken 7 between now and whenever we get the game in 2016-2017.

I just wanted to pose the question to Harada/MM while MarkMan was interviewing them on stream to see what they had to say about it.... but in all honesty they'd probably give another excuse the same way they pulled their black character excuses.

Sayah

All this talk about random stuff But they still refuse to acknowledge how Tekken 7 has no new mechanic that forces you to play differently.

I still see little reason to play T7 over a TTT2 solo mode. There is nothing new with easy throw breaks, gimped okizeme, and ultra's.

I asked MarkMan to relay it to Harada but he ignored my tweet.

Well, that's their aim I would imagine. Enough people complained about TTT2 being too complex and Tekken being in need of greater simplicity. The sales also reflected that.

I really want there to be greater depth and evolution but I also can't blame them for going in this direction when TTT2 is the worst selling Tekken to date (discounting handheld titles).

I'm just happy to be going back to 1v1. :)

av2k

Well, that's their aim I would imagine. Enough people complained about TTT2 being too complex and Tekken being in need of greater simplicity. The sales also reflected that.

I really want there to be greater depth and evolution but I also can't blame them for going in this direction when TTT2 is the worst selling Tekken to date (discounting handheld titles).

I'm just happy to be going back to 1v1. :)

I'm not a fan of solo but I can see them reducing the difficult mechanics (Throws/Oki) and adding hype mechanics (Supers/Power Crushes) for the inevitable Tekken VS Street Fighter game.

GrayFoxPL

Oh trust me I've given up all hope at anything new being introduced in Tekken 7 between now and whenever we get the game in 2016-2017.

I just wanted to pose the question to Harada/MM while MarkMan was interviewing them on stream to see what they had to say about it.... but in all honesty they'd probably give another excuse the same way they pulled their black character excuses.

Yeah I asked Harada what's different between release version and pre release. Is it bug fix and local play etc? Ignored. But you know we might be on Harada's black list for talking shit about T7, hehe.

But yes, he says such nonsense lately there's no point is asking him anymore.

sasuke_91

OK you don't but other people probably will when they throw out of old habits. People right now are still playing with old mindset. "Oh he's spamming that mid poke, no sense in trying this as always." Now he can. And even with poke trades the frame data is going to be different now.

It may be nothing for you. I get it, I too expected huge, defining changes before the game was showed but if it doesn't have them I take at least those ch trades and see their potential.

Maybe with TekkenxSF or Tekken Zero/Remake(there will be huge changes).
I already spam b+1 in every situation. It will definitely become worse with T7.

Tekken 7 is supposed to give birth to a new fanbase, and I don't know if I want to be part of it anymore. Who knows, maybe we'll get the most hardcore Tekken ever with Tekken 8/Tag Tournament 3 and Lucky Chloe will be cut out :p

GrayFoxPL

I already spam b+1 in every situation. It will definitely become worse with T7.

Tekken 7 is supposed to give birth to a new fanbase, and I don't know if I want to be part of it anymore. Who knows, maybe we'll get the most hardcore Tekken ever with Tekken 8/Tag Tournament 3 and Lucky Chloe will be cut out :p

But I'm gonna spam ch launchers too now. :p

Ha what changed about Lucky Chloe? Weren't you in Chloe enthusiasts club? ;)

Good, convert to the Dark Side!

Dereck

If y'all think T7 isn't different enough....y'all in for a surprise. It's definitely better than TTT2
9MaVYfK.gif

I'd love to hear more details.

For one thing, it's not 3D marvel anymore. That's pretty much the best thing about it and with pick ups gone while it's less of a hassel getting up, that's still a threat when get up. It's like sitting at the wall on wakeup.

Power crush and rage arts are nice but not overwhelming additions like they should be. They do their job and that's it.

Juggles are awesome and feel a lot more varied. Not as creative as TTT2 but at least not every combo is half life or something. Like single rounds last longer with multiple juggles which I like.

The whole ch on trade actually makes you more patient which fits Tekken better anyways. Like trading with Steve's b+1 is heart breaking lol .

Movement is thick but it's not like T6's wack movement.

And I thought T7 was already better before I played it.

Sayah

I'm not a fan of solo but I can see them reducing the difficult mechanics (Throws/Oki) and adding hype mechanics (Supers/Power Crushes) for the inevitable Tekken VS Street Fighter game.

I've said this multiple times but I'm so tired of team based fighters. MvC3, SFXTK, TTT2. I just need to get away from all that. I need one character on screen and not so much craziness.

Sayah

I'm always rooting for James regardless of his opponent. The Williams t-shirt just won him another 100 internet points.
He could have had that one round on JDCR. When he wall splat him, he should've done the sidestep before attacking for a full combo to finish the round.

AAK

I really wanted to watch SK vs Inkog.

For one thing, it's not 3D marvel anymore. That's pretty much the best thing about it and with pick ups gone while it's less of a hassel getting up, that's still a threat when get up. It's like sitting at the wall on wakeup.

Exactly the same as it was in Tekken Revolution. All it did was simplify the okizeme game. It didn't add anything to the game.

Power crush and rage arts are nice but not overwhelming additions like they should be. They do their job and that's it.

Like you say they aren't overwhelming additions. It's not something that makes the game much different from TTT2 Solo.

Juggles are awesome and feel a lot more varied. Not as creative as TTT2 but at least not every combo is half life or something. Like single rounds last longer with multiple juggles which I like.

Sure but I never was comparing it to tag mode. It's pretty much no different from TTT2 Solo mode except the scaling, but again it's just combo logistics and doesn't add or change anything meaningful to the neutral and metagame. This change pretty much only changes damage and the availability of bound @ the wall.

The whole ch on trade actually makes you more patient which fits Tekken better anyways. Like trading with Steve's b+1 is heart breaking lol .

Yeah like I said earlier it's a buff to counter hit characters, it's not a mechanic that people can add to their game like say parries in 3S, FA in SF4, etc.

The core question I have is just... what meaninfgul thing does Tekken 7 offer me that TTT2 solo mode doesn't?

There's already a stark difference between T6 and Rev. Rev has a good game there underneath the f2p crap. TTT2 solo is T6 with slightly better movement. T7 feels like Rev with a bound state that doesn't dictate every combo with a slightly reworked Oki and no actual rage.

Sayah

Thinking about it, what do you want from T7 AAK?

TTT2 completely exhausted the existing gameplay system for the franchise and evolved it to the point that there's not much else that the team can do with it. To make Tekken 7 stand out with its gameplay mechanics, there would be a need for a complete overhaul at this point.

But Namco has played it safe. While Tekken 7 doesn't have significant gameplay evolution and is actually regressing the complexity from TTT2, this is probably seen by the development team as a net positive. They want to draw in more casual players and regain the fanbase they lost with TTT2. While most competitive players really love TTT2, they are in a minority.

Tekken 7 with its shiny new graphics, slow motion clutch moments, rage arts, lucky chloe-type characters, and simplified options will appeal and satiate a lot of the casual fanbase (hopefully). A lot of people just buy games based on graphics alone and Tekken 7 has no competition in that department right now in its genre. These things alone should help it sell and get the series back to the 3.5 million+ figures that it consistently held before TTT2. If it fails, though, then there's reason to be concerned about this franchise's future.

Also, while I want more depth and see the lack of evolution as a negative, I also don't mind having things simplified and less convoluted. I really just want to go back to 1v1 battles.

AAK

Thinking about it, what do you want from T7 AAK?

I want Tekken 7 to feel like a brand new game. I want Tekken 7 to give me the same feeling of awe and wonder at the possibilities because of how much is in the brand new system to explore. This is a feeling that the Tekken series used to do.

I want Tekken 7 to feel like something fresh when jumping from Tekken 2 --> Tekken3 where the 3rd dimension was finally introduced. Going from there --> Tekken 4 with how much importance the terrain induced into the game... and finally breaking the rules where a character's buttons don't necessarily correspond to a certain limb (Steve). Going from Tekken 4 ---> Tekken 5 The gravity, the scaling, the crush system, the wall slumps, the movement all made everything feel extremely fresh.

Tekken 6 was the first instance where I felt like it was missing something substantial. However, that was from my scrubby mentality and I couldn't appreciate at how much magnitudes the bound system accomplished in balancing the cast. TTT2 opened a whole new dimension of possibilities with how robust the Tag Assault system was but again that was something overall limited to when a juggle took place. But IMO TTT2 is the perfection of the T5 formula and I was hoping for the next increment of the Tekken system. I did NOT want another increment on the Tekken 5 system....

But if you're asking about specifics.... I don't know I'm not a designer, but what I said above is the feeling I want the game to invoke. ..... BUT hypothetically speaking, if I WAS a game designer here are some ideas for thought:

-- How about making a brand new movement system? Instead of backdash cancels.. how about using a layered animation system like seen in Uncharted (where you can fluidly transfer from running into cover without any abrupt changes in animations like this) where depending on how well you do the cancels you get a better or more sluggish (but at least fluid rather than jerky) backwards movement. It could work or it might not, but it's an idea.

-- How about making newer game mechanics at the wall? There is the current b,b,u/b wall attack, but it has such limited utility. How about a wall specific sidestep where you can laterally move along the wall to bait a whiff. There is so much more I would personally explore with a wall in the game.

-- A lot of fighting games have instances where you can lead to certain things. For example, in Soul Blade and Samurai Showdown, if you block too much your weapon can break forcing you to fight bare-handed. How about Tekken introduce a system like that as well? If you take too much damage in a certain limb, your utility with that certain limb slightly deteriorates. The damage can also carry forward through rounds. That limb will go limp creating a new stance. If it's your right leg that takes a lot of damage your movement could be a little more sluggish BUT since your foot would technically be numb it might take less damage than before?

-- Although not game mechanic centric, how about a lot of character specific things. Why can't more characters violate the limb button rule like Steve. How about a character that fights on a bike/skateboard/rollerblade where the kick buttons do movement things the same way Steve's kick buttons do sways. This has been done before in Fighting Vipers. That's just one thing but how about they be a lot more creative in general?

- And then there was also what MvC3 did where they completely changed the control scheme from MvC2.... just another idea.

tl;dr... I want a new game not another refinement of the old game which IMO is already perfected in TTT2.

EDIT: But at the very least... evolve your character designs like you used to!

EDIT2:

Crazy slow-mo from earlier.
http://imgur.com/0GkKMEZ

Okay that's legitimately awesome. The likelihood of something like that ever happening is close to none. This is probably the only time it'll ever happen haha.

Sayah

The Tekken 4 failure is probably still looming over their head. Probably the reason why the Tekken 5 formula has stuck onward.

Plus, game development costs are much more significant now. Doing more significant overhauls would probably require a lot more funds.

With that said, I completely get what you're saying and agree. As it stands now, it's not much different from Tekken 6 save for screw attacks replacing bound and the addition of rage arts/power crush moves, which don't do much of anything to change the formula.

Honestly, just accept Tekken 7 for what it is. It'll still have more depth than most other fighters out there. And if you've been craving 1v1 Tekken like I have, then it'll be fun.

The changes you want AAK will probably occur with Tekken 8. The Mishima saga will have ended and there will be a whole new cast of characters, which will bring with it a whole new system. They probably wanted to end the saga on a positive note and not get too experimental and suffer another Tekken 4.

Or maybe TKXSF will continue this system for one more entry.............

AAK

Honestly, just accept Tekken 7 for what it is. It'll still have more depth than most other fighters out there. And if you've been craving 1v1 Tekken like I have, then it'll be fun.

Nail in the Head

That is literally the only reason I still care at this point.

Sayah

I watched the UMvC3 stream a little and I almost feel glad I quit after vanilla MvC3. It's like everyone has a pocket Doom or pocket Vergil. You have to be Justin Wong to pick anything other than top tier to get far in a tournament.

AAK

Not verified but, TTT2 Top 8 is:

JDCR
Just Frame James
Speedkicks
WayGamble
Trungy
Inkog
Naps
bmns13

Damn, wonder who knocked out Kodee & KOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom