• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between Jimmy and Inkog is that Inkog is far more willing to go hard on his reads than Jimmy is. On a player like JDCR who leaves so few holes in his game Inkog was able to exploit the holes more effectively. Jimmy kinda tries to out solid JDCR but the big difference is JDCR has WGF so he will always have the wiff punishment advantage. You're just fighting a losing battle in the long run.

Manbig

There is no Top 5 for US lol. I stand by it lol.

I don't know about that. The top five in USA is definitely a cycle of a handful of players.

I'm just still amused at this notion that Speedkicks deserves a top 5 spot when he has continually proven to have almost zero clutch in high pressure situations. His stupid comments on the subject further amplifies my distaste for it all. If you can only perform at your best when there are no stakes, then why should anyone give a fuck? That's some online player mentality right there and he needs to shake that shit the fuck off and develop that clutch so he can take it to the next level.

Sayah

Thanks! She's pretty easy mode right now. Lol

Her df+3,df+3 I think is pretty nice since it hits mid and the follow up is a sweep. So it trolls many new players. I have to learn how to customize my characters, I think it's done on tekken.net. Maybe TekkenGAF can help me customize Kat and later Shaheen for me. Loool

Movement is more loose compared to TTTT, so I guess like Revo? The game has been dumbed down for a newer audience like SF4 but is still going to be tough later on like SF4.

Also the game looks fantastic, my only gripe are the inconsistent loading times. Tekkens on PSX loaded faster than this.

So yeah Shaheen would be nice too.

Yeah, I noticed the loading times are not good at all. Hope they fix that.

If you want help with customizing characters, definitely hit up Rhazer_Fusion. He's the best in this thread (imo) when it comes to customizing.

Though, I'm not that bad myself. :p

I can't wait to try out Tekken 7.

lupinko

Hey I'll take any suggestions. I got over 7000 gold but I don't know why I can't buy anything yet.

I just set up my Tekken net ID with my banapass.

I really wish Sexy Tekken Force Krav Maga fighter was in tekken 7 or the revision or whatever.

Because 1) she's sexy tekken force 2) Krav maga is dope, I used to train in it myself so there ya go.

Sayah

A lot of people here wanted Krav Maga represented.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here in the OT is in Japan that can help you figure out why customizations aren't working using your bana card.

Maybe MightyKAC but he doesn't post a lot.

lupinko

Oh I'll try to figure it out. I'm doing everything on my phone. It also sucks that I'm on 3G since my NA iphone 5 doesn't support JP 4G LTE.

Looks like Namco screens comments? Trying to put TLC references for mine.

lupinko

I redeemed some gifts, I got 5 orbs, a new icon, 50,000g, a bandana and shades.

I just want to make my Katarina less defaulty right now. Lol

AAK

Just got home... looks like I missed a pretty eventful tournie huh :p

Hope I won't miss LD2 in 2 weeks!

The changes you want AAK will probably occur with Tekken 8.

Sorry for bringing this up but I forgot to reply to this. What are we going to do when Tekken 8 is announced and it's basically Tekken 7 again but with 2 rage arts? How many more Tekken games will people have enough and say it's not OK for Tekken to keep being permutations of Tekken 5 rather than a new game?

It feels so crappy being a Tekken fan when MGS fans, Uncharted fans, Mortal Kombat fans, SF fans, and so many other games that get million+ sales get such fresh experiences and we can't.

lupinko

Ok I figured it out, you have to level up items or whatever.

oNhJnhyl.jpg

Sayah

@Lupinko. If there's an option to take of Katarina's sun glasses, DO IT. I want to see what the face model looks like without them.
Thanks for sharing customization images.

Sorry for bringing this up but I forgot to reply to this. What are we going to do when Tekken 8 is announced and it's basically Tekken 7 again but with 2 rage arts? How many more Tekken games will people have enough and say it's not OK for Tekken to keep being permutations of Tekken 5 rather than a new game?

It feels so crappy being a Tekken fan when MGS fans, Uncharted fans, Mortal Kombat fans, SF fans, and so many other games that get million+ sales get such fresh experiences and we can't.

I am somehow highly doubting that Tekken 8 will be the same.

Mainly because the entire (or a significant chunk) of the cast will be gone with the Mishima saga ending. With a brand new cast, I'm imagining they'll want to work from the ground up.

GrayFoxPL

Kojima got fucked out of Konami and lost MGS. They are seeking new developer.

If Harada and whole Tekken team got thrown out of Namco and they put totally new dev for Tekken 8, wonder if it would be 100% different or everything would be copied from T7?

Probably neither and Tekken would just die since Namco isn't holding the IP in huge regard.

Well more then Sega with VF but not much.

Sayah

Isn't Tekken pretty much their biggest IP? Maybe Gundam also? But Gundam doesn't have the international appeal that Tekken does.

What else is bigger? Don't say Pac-Man.

lupinko

It won't let me remove her shades with what I have right now. Also items are obtained randomly via lotto tickets. You also need orbs to level them up to redeem. I'm out of orbs now because I just redeemed a great sword. I also have a female tiara and male sweat pants waiting to be used.

GrayFoxPL

Isn't Tekken pretty much their biggest IP? Maybe Gundam also? But Gundam doesn't have the international appeal that Tekken does.

Pretty sure their Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Tales and Idolmaster IP's eats Tekken alive.

AAK

The Mishima Saga isn't a valid excuse for me for the lack of innovation. Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 have a 2 year difference, Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 have a few months difference. They all shared the Mishima saga as well and innovated with their gameplay.

lupinko

Looks like the items don't transfer/not universal, Shaheen and Asuka can't use the sword or shades. So trying to figure out how the lotto works now. I don't want Asuka items via lotto tho. Lol

AAK

Thanks for the info lupinko. But don't expect anything cool when it comes to customs. If you've played TTT2 you should have an idea of the kind of outfits they'll have in T7. It's all generic things you can paste on the characters that lack any of the cloth efffects the default customs have.

Although I find it incredibly dumb how you are unlocking customs your own main character isn't allowed to wear. WTF is Namco doing?

lupinko

Ah, I didn't play TTTT enough, the last tekken I played sorta serious was DR Arcade. I did have PS3 t6 and TTTT but didn't play them, and didn't play either much on arcade either.

You can actually pick which items to redeem, but at the time of redemption I only had Kat played. Apparently using the TekkenNet site counts as played characters because Shaheen and Asuka now show played.

AAK

Here is an example:

latest

And you can compare that to Baek:

latest

It's all just permutations of those outfits across the entire male cast. Doesn't have the unique outfits exclusive to each character.

GrayFoxPL

"End Of Mishima Saga." is the same shtick as: "Heihachi Mishima Is Dead."

The ending will be Kaz, Hei, Jin lying on the ground as if dead. Oh the drama! Credits roll. "Thank You for Playing!"

Suddenly small clip where Mishima's fingers twitch.

There.

I'm Santa Claus if Mishimas don't return in T8 like nothing has happened.

"What? We just have new story focus, we never said those characters are no more. Trolololol."

Is my dream of Tekken Zero(think SFA) is so unrealistic?

Eh.

Line_HTX

Maybe Dragonball and Tales series is bigger, maybe? I don't know.

I think that idolm@ster smashes Tekken though. Japan is always a sucker for im@s. I mean, if you try and combine all the DLC for their games it would put all versions of DoA5 combined to total shame like it was nothing, haha

Sayah

Maybe Dragonball and Tales series is bigger, maybe? I don't know.

I think that idolm@ster smashes Tekken though. Japan is always a sucker for im@s. I mean, if you try and combine all the DLC for their games it would put all versions of DoA5 combined to total shame like it was nothing, haha
Pretty sure their Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Tales and Idolmaster IP's eats Tekken alive.

Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, and Tales don't have them arcade profits.

Tales especially is very niche. Idolmaster also seems most popular in Japan and not sure of its international audience.
The Mishima Saga isn't a valid excuse for me for the lack of innovation. Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 have a 2 year difference, Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 have a few months difference. They all shared the Mishima saga as well and innovated with their gameplay.

I know that. I'm saying since the Mishima saga is ending, it's more likely for Tekken 8 to have a new beginning of sorts.

It won't let me remove her shades with what I have right now. Also items are obtained randomly via lotto tickets. You also need orbs to level them up to redeem. I'm out of orbs now because I just redeemed a great sword. I also have a female tiara and male sweat pants waiting to be used.

Bummer.

Sayah

In arcades, yeah, Gundam definitely is the bigger game based off the few Arcadia rankings I read. But it's also very limited to Japan and doesn't have much of a following in other parts of the world.

lupinko

Gundam is harder to bring because it's too expensive (you need 4 cabs), and Bandai is really protective of the Gundam IP. Hence why they don't let any random anime localization studio get it internationally.

CSX

In arcades, yeah, Gundam definitely is the bigger game based off the few Arcadia rankings I read. But it's also very limited to Japan and doesn't have much of a following in other parts of the world.
Very big in Hong Kong and China. The machines I see here of gundam are always packed

AAK

RiB asked SK about T7 on his stream.

SK basically said Tekken 7 is fun to play because of Slow-mo and Rage Arts. But he said he doesn't see himself spending time with the game. He said he played TTT2 a lot because he enjoyed the movement. He doesn't like the movement in Tekken 7.

Manbig

SK basically said Tekken 7 is fun to play because of Slow-mo and Rage Arts. But he said he doesn't see himself spending time with the game. He said he played TTT2 a lot because he enjoyed the movement. He doesn't like the movement in Tekken 7.

It's funny how inconsistent everyone's reports are about the movement in Tekken 7. It seems like most people are saying that after spending a significant amount of time with the game, that the movement pretty much felt the same.

lupinko

Anyone know how to get more orbs for customization? I'm at work right now so I can't play. Haha

I have all this gold that I can't use.

Edit: nah I don't expect any answers for obvious reasons, but I will say this way of getting customs is stuuuuuuuuupid.

lupinko

I dunno if it's just my arcade, but not much tekken play at Playland F1R. Well it's early, and there is netplay which is ass. There's two Taito Stations nearby too.

AAK

What games are played there mostly?

Harada/MM were boasting pretty broadly at how Tekken has 10x more arcade cabs throughout Japan compared to Street Fighter during the ATPLive special @ Final Round.

Sayah

Paraphrasing Michael Murray:

"While Street Fighter has hundreds of cabinets in Japan, Tekken has thousands of cabinets."

He also said:

"Arcade release makes about as much money as console release."

Also, in case people here don't already know, Harada/Murray confirmed the first time release character will be revealed on the 29th this month.

lupinko

What games are played there mostly?

Harada/MM were boasting pretty broadly at how Tekken has 10x more arcade cabs throughout Japan compared to Street Fighter during the ATPLive special @ Final Round.

Hnk, 2k2UM, 98UM, 13C, Vampire Savior, Xrd, various anime and doujin games, Persona and BB fit under anime I guess lol, gundam, 3s, ST, CvS2, A3, and sometimes USF4.

It used to be a SBO qualifier arcade and I think is one for Arc Cup or something with all the posters. They hold tourneys a lot. They also put in random games like SS0S and SS3 (which I cheese local players at because that game is broke as fuck) or Jackie Chan. The latter surprised the fuck out of me.

Might have something to do with him losing to RIP.

Went to Final Round tonight and had a really good time. This is the first time I have ever did anything like that. The energy in the room was very electrifying. Matches were intense and great. A lot of cool and down to earth people were there. Met and talked to Harada. :D He was very nice and humble. I figured he was possibly going to be there, but I didn't expect to see him standing literally a few feet behind me. I was going to ask him if Anna was coming back and when Tekken 7 was potentially coming home to consoles, but I didn't. Also, met JDCR, Aris, Justin Wong, Diago, Speedkicks and Markman.

Unfortunately, I just missed Tekken 7 as Harada and company were packing up the board and the arcade sticks, so no impressions from me. I did hear positive impressions about it from some dedicated Tekken players and the people who got to try it out. They said the game is at 80% currently and it looked significantly better than TTT2 to the point where it looks nearly antiquated. One guy mentioned that the tailspin seemed more difficult to achieve than the bound so people are going to have to work a little harder for those longer combos. They said the game was even more fluid and responsive than TTT2, but the movement was "different". Not sure if he meant bad or good different. I heard Claudio plays lie kLars on steroids?? Not sure if I picked that up by looking at his fighting style, but we'll see eventually. Seems like the new characters were liked for the most part, even you-know-who. Hopefully, it will come home sooner than later. I really want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom