• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH™

I can't blame one individual for Tekken 7's state. Looking @ Tekken 7's credits, the game director is Yuichi Yonemori while the Lead Game Design is handled by Yasuki Nakabayashi (a position that wasn't in TTT2). But of coarse it all could be possible that they did the best they could with the budget that's managed by the Producer... which Harada happens to be. However the budgets are dictated by the business suits @ Namco and all....

But a part of me truly feels like if they wanted, Tekken 7 could have been something new even with the budget they have right now...

I'll never know. I can lay the rest of my hopes for a fresh new 3D fighting game experience on the Soul Calibur team I suppose.

And thanks again to Wonkey's hunting: Jin Kazama footage popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUtV-XjGR0

Still plays exactly the same.

Yeah, agreed. I think the one of the problems is the fact that most designers they have is probably exclusively Japanese-oriented. Sound simple enough but if your designers are only exposed to only few cultures, the visual library will be narrow, and it will show. If you look at T7 right now, it's more influenced by the current Japanese manga/anime trends of idols, schoolgirls, and over-the-top fanstastical designs, and the other chars that do not fit the bill are reduced to stereotypes and/or tropes.

I guess I can't blame them. You can only research so far to a point where it will hurt the game budget.

T7 |OT|
HoZeGWS.jpg

DEATH™

But yet both have significantly different mechanics and play completely different from their predecessors.

So? I could say the same with T7 with the oki change and the throw changes. The problem is you are looking way too picky about things. Look, SF might change a mechanic or 2, but they will still have hadoukens, srks, and the likes, and the goal will still be the same, deplete the opponent's lifebar. In reality, the game mechanics just only change a few things compared to the grand scheme of things, and if you are a player for a long time, you will still get the gist of playing the next SF. Does that mean you will be automatically good? Not necessarily. It just means you are well familiar with the game.

Same thing with Tekken. Of course we have played this game for darn long time that even the bigger changes will be something easily understood. It doesn't help too that all of us played Tag 2 well enough that no matter what Namco throws at us, its easily learned.

I'm in no way saying we should hail namco for everything, but we also need to step back and see things on a different point of view. Maybe its not enough change for us, but it is massive for the likes of the guys in FGCWeekly.

AAK

If you played a character in 3rd Strike, and then played SF4 exactly the same way... things won't work out for you so much.

From what we've seen so far of SFV, the same thing applies there if you played Ryu like you do in SF4. The speed of the game, the walk-speed, the gravity, the jump arcs, the block stun mechanics are all completely fresh and new. Those are HUGE changes for even an SF4 veteran that's played their game as much as we've played Tekken. And this is before even wondering what the new elemental mechanic they have going on with all the special moves.

In T7, the gravity, the wall-slump mechanics, the speed, the hit-stun, block-stun are identical to T6/TTT2. A far cry from how SFV is changing.

All I'm asking for, is a brand new game with T7... and not just a rebalanced TTT2 solo-mode with TR's okizeme.

EDIT: And I guess my last statement is pretty much what the majority of people simply wanted from T7. I unfortunately held different standards.

DEATH™

If you played a character in 3rd Strike, and then played SF4 exactly the same way... nothing will work.

From what we've seen so far of SFV, the same thing applies there if you played Ryu like you do in SF4. The speed of the game, the walk-speed, the gravity, the jump arcs, the block stun mechanics are all completely fresh and new. Those are HUGE changes for even an SF4 veteran that's played their game as much as we've played Tekken.

In T7, the gravity, the wall-slump mechanics, the speed, the hit-stun, block-stun are identical to T6/TTT2. A far cry from how SFV is changing.

I'm not saying that you have to stop learning to adapt to new mechanics, I'm saying that in the long run, those changes mean small compared to bigger scheme of things. You will still adapt accordingly to the tools given to you, whether character specific or system wide change but the fact still remains that you have to deplete opponent's lifebar.

Please look at Tekken for a bit. How can you change it? Change gravity? You just adjust your juggles. Stun Changes? Merely just change of frames. Wall Slump? Just change wall combos. See? No matter how you change things, its still gonna be viewed as mere change in properties on that kind of perspective. I could say the same thing in each SF, where system changes just favor a certain method of play, but the gists are still the same. T7 with all these changes will do the same way. Is its gonna be for the better? I can't say that, that's another topic for another day.

As compared to what AAK? Your expectations for Tekken 7 have always been ridiculous & I'm quite honestly sick & tired of your complaining. We get it you were expect Tekken to do something no fighting game franchise does & completely change everything about the game so it's nothing like it was before. You want something different & you don't even know what that is.

They changed everything from the oki, combo system, throws, wall mechanics, added brand new systems & mechanics but nooo. That's not good enough for you. It's just like Tekken 6+Rev except no one who's played it says that at all. Seriously stop. You make me not want to read this thread.

AAK

I don't think you've really read the thread then Bugs Bunny. I've given suggestions earlier in the thread when MikeBreezy asked. And you're saying my outlook on T7 doesn't match anyone else who's played it? Really? EDIT: Here's the specific time.

Sorry if my complaining is bothering you.... but hey it's a videogame forum where you discuss videogames. No one is stopping you from making a rebuttal. And like Death said earlier I should just take a step back. I just have issues where a videogame gets me this worked up. Maybe just not posting will do me wonders.

Numb

I'll take tweaks of the same old formula if it means I don't have to wait 5-10 years between every game.

That is a way to look at it and i agree.
More less now since i have Tag 2 and confident i could wait another 3-5 years for a completely new Tekken experience.
Watching videos of Tag 2 was hype and it felt even better playing it in person. Maybe i will have a turn around on T7 after it comes out on console.

I don't think you've really read the thread then Bugs Bunny. I've given suggestions earlier in the thread when MikeBreezy asked. And you're saying my outlook on T7 doesn't match anyone else who's played it? Oh Really?

Sorry if my complaining is bothering you.... but hey it's a videogame forum where you discuss videogames. No one is stopping you from making a rebuttal. And like Death said earlier I should just take a step back. I just have issues that a videogame gets me this worked up.

Do you think I'm stupid? The alpha build is much different than the final build. Don't link me to an interview about an alpha build & tell me it is relevent to the release build.

DEATH™

Do you think I'm stupid? The alpha build is much different than the final build. Don't link me to an interview about an alpha build & tell me it is relevent to the release build.

Actually, in that case, nope. The game mechanics in the alpha build are almost the same. People should already see the direction Namco is going for with the game, hence the complaints.

AAK, bro I told you, start drawing! Same thing with all you guys!

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1010752

Not only it's a relaxing and awesome,
It actually helps you pinpoint what makes something look awful, so you can actually nitpick the costume better lol.

Example, the Alisa costume. The bulk of the limb armor affects the silhouette along with the random "wires", while it also bad color harmony with the greenish undertone of the limb armor with the pinkish skin and top. For women chars, silhouette means alot, so for me, I'll fix it by making the limb armor thinner. Color undertones can change by establishing a better color scheme that should be discussed with the designer. Should I make the limbs plain greyer/less saturated and lighter in value to match the value range? Or stay with the darker value to build contrast?

See? You can have that power AAK.

Look all AAK wants is a more drastically different Tekken like T4 was. That's it. Not hard to understand. T7 is not that game from the looks of things and is revamp of what Tekken has been since T5. That's it.

I feel ya AAK. I wanted the same drastic changes as well. Something fresh and new.

Maybe T8. Ill play and enjoy T7, but I wanted something more as well.

And Jin looks dumb, haha.

Manbig

Still plays exactly the same.

Not really. I saw a full launch on normal hit hop kick and an EWHF that gave him the old counter hit property on normal hit. If playable Jin has those, then those are pretty damn huge buffs for him.

Also, your pessimism is really getting out of hand. You keep talking in absolutes when you haven't even had a chance to touch the game. On top of that, the game is drastically changing with some pretty major balance patches and there's still the chance that the game will get one huge revision, like usual, that will further change things up. I can understand jumping on the hate train for Lucky Chloe, and other dumb visual designs, but for game mechanics that people haven't been able to thoroughly test yet? Yeah, no.

Sayah

I'm done with TTT2 once again after my short revisit. It is RAGE INDUCING online with all the lag especially when I'm suspecting certain people of using lag switches. It just conveniently lags when I'm combo-ing.

Just gonna wait till Tekken 7 to get me back to the pure 1v1 action. I am really annoyed when a person raw tagging can get a hopkick in while I'm clearly commanding the space and using a launcher to punish the raw tag. Ugh.

Also, stop fighting people.

lupinko

I played more today, and noticed the updates to Tekken.net, like if you go premium you get more customization options like 3 more customization slots and more options. It's 300y/month, dunno if that's for me. Anyway the lotto system to get items is kinda bunk but right now I've only seen one other player with an item weapon, a saber or whatever on a Chloe. So my Kat is still rocking a great sword that takes too long to use. Lol

I can buy colors to update certain items, but right now it's only her glasses and not the bandana. And the color choices are fairly lame (red, brown, orange), unfortunately the purple and green you see are just to highlight what you're going to customize.

8CiwgXAl.jpg

Anyway all my matches were all netplay, I've only played like maybe 6 games against a local opponent? So Bamco has brought the home experience to the arcade, sadly. Lol

Also I noticed that the game was displaying a lower res at a Taito station I went to compared to my usual Playland F1R. Could've just been the cab I guess? The one beside me wasn't doing that.

sasuke_91

As compared to what AAK? Your expectations for Tekken 7 have always been ridiculous & I'm quite honestly sick & tired of your complaining. We get it you were expect Tekken to do something no fighting game franchise does & completely change everything about the game so it's nothing like it was before. You want something different & you don't even know what that is.

They changed everything from the oki, combo system, throws, wall mechanics, added brand new systems & mechanics but nooo. That's not good enough for you. It's just like Tekken 6+Rev except no one who's played it says that at all. Seriously stop. You make me not want to read this thread.
AAK has stated before what he wanted and expected from T7. How some changes could have made the game feel fresh. How every new entry in the series brought those changes but T7 lacking in that department. His expectations weren't ridiculous.
I get his negativity. Yeah, it gets out of hand sometimes, but you're free to disagree with him like you did when you argued about how the animations were taken from T2.

"What no fighting game franchise does" is also wrong. Tekken did change drastically. More than once. And we want to get that "new game" feeling again from T7.

Edit: Just saw that Jin video. Manbig is right. Hopkick and EWHF launch on normal hit. Those are huge buffs. His db+2,3 also got a new animation. I wonder if he still gets a full combo on CH.

Not saying the whole game is like this. There's a lot of cool designs. But there's also enough terrible aspects that ruin the visual appeal.

Examples:

CAdiVPAUYAAGXhK.png

I think you've misunderstood that picture. Pretty sure these colours simply just indicate and highlight what part of his costume you're going to change in each respective tab.

So much negativity in this thread when there's still so much to look forward to. :-/

Pachimari

The negativity is killing some of the hype and excitement. The complaints are valid but can be too much.

At this point I don't care about anything, I just want to be good at the basics of Tekken.

And Jin looks all kinds of awesome in his new costume.

AAK

Also, your pessimism is really getting out of hand. You keep talking in absolutes when you haven't even had a chance to touch the game. On top of that, the game is drastically changing with some pretty major balance patches and there's still the chance that the game will get one huge revision, like usual, that will further change things up. I can understand jumping on the hate train for Lucky Chloe, and other dumb visual designs, but for game mechanics that people haven't been able to thoroughly test yet? Yeah, no.

That's the thing... I don't see what there is to test really other than combo optimization (EDIT: and the new character balance).Usually you can notice things just by observation where there's room for discovery. I don't see that necessarily.

Pachimari

I'm just surprised by the general negativism in here. My impression wasn't that of our community here. But I also understand that people like AAK want something new, which I also really wanted. I don't think Namco can make the Tekken formular any more perfect than in Tag 2, so I hope that Tekken 7 will be the last of its kind, and that they will make drastic changes to Tekken 8.

But I'm still extremely excited about Tekken 7, because that's more fun, than being sad about the lack of evolution this time around. I'm actually trying my best to ignore the "bad" stuff, and just be very happy about the good stuff.

AAK

You're not even gonna acknowledge your unfounded complaint about Kazuya's colour customization?

It's because what you said doesn't really make sense TBH. Why would you have an indicator on every piece of item when you can only change one item at a time. If they really were going for an indicator style thing, it would be where the item you've selected would be flashing or have that bright color. And if it is like you mentioned in the post where all the bright colors are indicators, how can you compare the change in color of what you are changing to the other adjacent clothing items' colors when they have this bright indicator covering them? Any good customization screen will allow you to see how you changes reflect on the overall package dynamically.

You can have those obnoxious colors in TTT2 and from what we've seen so far they are recycling that system.

But if you're right... that's a pretty obtuse indicator system.

DEATH™

I know we're tired of negative posts but if they were going to recycle old customs, at least use the better ones from Tekken 6 and not the low end TTT2 stuff.

On a positive note, the final round music for Souq and Outpost Jungle is AMAZING.

This is part of the reason I'm looking forward to 1v1.

Why the hate on TTT2 Customs? That halterneck is not bad at all!

I think you need to temper the feelings a bit. Look, if you get modern dresses like these, you see "low end" yet when they try to make a design that's more on a fantastical side (designs that are "out there"), it looks weird/awful. I mean, if I am the developer, I wouldn't know what to do to please you.

Yeah I get it, most are frustrated with the "recycling" but even if they recycle or not, we will have something to complain about.

Don't let the salt flow through you too much...

This OT is becoming unbarable. Thank god AAK is not in charge of the Tekken franchise, AAK would bankrupt Namco. AAK has the most ludicrous expectations. I'm honestly surprised people aren't complaining that the game doesn't run at 4K at this point.

DEATH™

This OT is becoming unbarable. Thank god AAK is not in charge of the Tekken franchise, AAK would bankrupt Namco. AAK has the most ludicrous expectations. I'm honestly surprised people aren't complaining that the game doesn't run at 4K at this point.

Sorry but, his points isn't out there either man. At this point I do believe T7 is rushed and we will not know anything beyond that...

Dont go flaming please

AAK

DEATH™;157856359 said:

I think you need to temper the feelings a bit. Look, if you get modern dresses like these, you see "low end" yet when they try to make a design that's more on a fantastical side (designs that are "out there"), it looks weird/awful. I mean, if I am the developer, I wouldn't know what to do to please you.

Yeah I get it, most are frustrated with the "recycling" but even if they recycle or not, we will have something to complain about.

Don't let the salt flow through you too much...

TTT2's customs don't let you customize individual parts like hands, ankles, upper body, lower body, arms, etc. Tekken 6 allowed you to be very creative with each design.

Tekken 6 also had predetermined colors and a large variety of them BUT thankfully had nothing that was disgustingly obnoxious.

Tekken 6's customs were also character specific and reflected the design of the character:

iRdBv163oHeJS.jpg

It wasn't random nonsense like Heihachi with a weird T-Shirt and leather pants.

But most of all, the Tekken 6 designs had actual effort put into them. Their clothes shared the cloth effects of the default designs while looking at TTT2's letterman jackets and such that would just stick to the character like some PS1 asset.

The thing is TTT2 gets a free pass because we understood they had to make concessions to let 4 characters be on the screen while Tekken 6 only had to worry about 2.

Tekken 7 doesn't have that same limitation so going with TTT2's primitive, obnoxious, and ugly system rathar than Tekken 6's that was the greatest system in all of FG's is a backward decision.

Numb

DEATH™;157856359 said:

Not a fan at all. It feels like the clothes are a size or two too big. I tried to give Feng his red suit and it seemed like he lost a bunch of weight all of a sudden. I understand that it would take alot of effort custom fitting every item to each character so i can deal.
Just a little annoying.

LowParry

I think we really should judge the console version of Tekken 7. The arcade is just that. And we're seeing updates so a year from now the game could have a lot more added in.

His points aren't ludicrous. They are valid. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they are not. Come on man.....

AAK

You know if Mortal Kombat X bankrupts WB, or if Street Fighter V bankrupts Capcom... or if Tekken 3, 4, 5 bankrupted Namco you'd have a point.

EDIT:
BTW Namco makes more money with Tekken then any of those other companies with their fighting game franchises

DEATH™;157857496 said:
Sorry but, his points isn't out there either man. At this point I do believe T7 is rushed and we will not know anything beyond that...

Dont go flaming please

I'm not going to. I fail to see how the game was rushed. It's like none of you remember the 4 versions of Tekken 4 in arcades the 5 versions of Soul Calibur 2. The 3 versions of Tekken 5. The game is in it's arcade phase, updates always happen.

Pachimari

AAK and a lot of other poster's complaints here are totally valid, and I understand their "pessimism" in lack of a better word. But it would also be nice, if it were contained a bit, and not expressed in a large chump of the posts.

Right now, I love the soundtrack, the stages are beautiful, the new mechanics, the new costumes for some of the characters (Jin, Kazuya and Lars especially), and Katarina, Lucky Chloe and Shahin. Lucky Chloe is one of the coolest additions to the Tekken roster in a long while.
It just looks fun to play, like any other Tekken, pure fun but deep.

I for one, am really excited to have it on my PlayStation 4 (I don't believe it'll end up on PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom