• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know if Mortal Kombat X bankrupts WB, or if Street Fighter V bankrupts Capcom... or if Tekken 3, 4, 5 bankrupted Namco you'd have a point.

EDIT:
BTW Namco makes more money with Tekken then any of those other companies with their fighting game franchises

False equivalency at it's finest.

AAK

I'm not going to. I fail to see how the game was rushed. It's like none of you remember the 4 versions of Tekken 4 in arcades the 5 versions of Soul Calibur 2. The 3 versions of Tekken 5. The game is in it's arcade phase, updates always happen.

And the first version of Tekken 4 was a completely different beast from Tekken 3. The first version of Tekken 5 was a completely different beast from Tekken 4. Not gonna comment on SC2 since I've never played SC1. Even before their updates & console versions they were true sequels.

False equivalency at it's finest.

Unless you can defend it with a real argument that's just a blank statement.

I'm going to apply your logic to almost every version of Tekken AAK.

Tekken 2 is just Tekken 1 with better graphics

Tekken 3 is just Tekken 2 with SideStep

Tekken Tag is just Tekken 3 with Tag

Tekken 5 is just Tekken 3 with walls

Tekken 6 is just Tekken 5 with bound & rage

Tekken Tag 2 is just Tekken 6 with Tag

Tekken 7 is just Tekken 6 with supers & armor moves.

Sayah

DEATH™;157856359 said:
Why the hate on TTT2 Customs? That halterneck is not bad at all!

I think you need to temper the feelings a bit. Look, if you get modern dresses like these, you see "low end" yet when they try to make a design that's more on a fantastical side (designs that are "out there"), it looks weird/awful. I mean, if I am the developer, I wouldn't know what to do to please you.

Yeah I get it, most are frustrated with the "recycling" but even if they recycle or not, we will have something to complain about.

Don't let the salt flow through you too much...

You're not even gonna acknowledge your unfounded complaint about Kazuya's colour customization?

Well, AAK did a great reply for me but to give my own answer as well:

1. The customization color schemes are hideous for T7 because they're based entirely off the TTT2 system, which has the tendency to have very bright sharp and blinding colors almost not that far off from the neons seen in SFXTK. In contrast, Tekken 6 was more limited with color schemes because it didn't give you a whole palette to choose from but it was better in the long run because the options you were given didn't completely ruin the visual appeal of the game. TTT2 is also kind of trying to be silly/goofy and is a side spinoff game so it's not as much of an issue for me in that but Tekken 7 is a brand new game running on Unreal Engine 4 and then it's using color schemes that are completely distracting.

2. @Death Everyone knows Tekken 6 had a much better customization system than TTT2. My only point was, if you're going to recycle, at least use the more high end stuff. Why rely on the inferior product?

AAK stop using Tekken 4 as this great divide that makes Tekken 5 seem so different. Tekken 5 went back to the basics of Tekken 3. It was hardly a huge change. Tekken 4 was the only huge gameplay departure & it was terrible.

Sayah

I'm just surprised by the general negativism in here. My impression wasn't that of our community here. But I also understand that people like AAK want something new, which I also really wanted. I don't think Namco can make the Tekken formular any more perfect than in Tag 2, so I hope that Tekken 7 will be the last of its kind, and that they will make drastic changes to Tekken 8.

But I'm still extremely excited about Tekken 7, because that's more fun, than being sad about the lack of evolution this time around. I'm actually trying my best to ignore the "bad" stuff, and just be very happy about the good stuff.

Hey, I've been very positive for this game and maintained my enthusiasm for a long time and still am actually. Just look at my avatar. :p

But I'm not going to swallow myself in hype and completely ignore the aspects I don't like. What they're doing with customs right now and the general direction of costume design is not something that's appealing to me very much right now. I sound like MoonsaultSlayer because he's always harping on this point but man, they BETTER have an option to disable customs when facing others online. Or give me a cross-platform play PC version.

I think we really should judge the console version of Tekken 7. The arcade is just that. And we're seeing updates so a year from now the game could have a lot more added in.

I am doubting they're going to remove simple content like customs from the console version that was seen in the arcades but who knows,.

Usually, people don't harp for content to be removed from a game but I'm really hoping these color schemes and old customs don't make it into the final release.

AAK

I'm going to apply your logic to almost every version of Tekken AAK..
AAK stop using Tekken 4 as this great divide that makes Tekken 5 seem so different. Tekken 5 went back to the basics of Tekken 3. It was hardly a huge change. Tekken 4 was the only huge gameplay departure & it was terrible.

You mention so many of those mechanics as trivial things. You claimed I was basing my arguments of false equivalence but your posts make it sound like adding a sidestep in Tekken 3 is as big of a change as adding an Armor Move in Tekken 7. Take a step back and look at those things the other games introduced.

Do you realize how big of a factor something like walls did for Tekken? Do you realize how big of a factor the concept of bound had on the game. How about posting the gravity changes of the game was affected changing the pace and decisions? You also ignored a lot of universal system changes like adding tech rolls, low parries, and especially the crush system. How about the magnitude by which forward dashes, sidesteps, and backdashes played an affect on the overall game styles between those games? Because those things were vastly different between those old sequels while Tekken 7 is identical to T6/TTT2/TR.

And looking back at Tekken 4 yes it was broken....but how about giving that game the same treatment as Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 did? How about giving Tekken 4 a Bloodline Rebellion that gave the developers a chance to fix the game the same way the other games after got their chances?

EDIT: And even though I've been saying this since 2014, it goes without saying that Tekken 1-5 all evolved their character designs. That also helps in magnitudes helping everyone see the new title as a brand new sequel rather than an expansion.

Pachimari

Hey, I've been very positive for this game and maintained my enthusiasm for a long time and still am actually. Just look at my avatar. :p

But I'm not going to swallow myself in hype and completely ignore the aspects I don't like. What they're doing with customs right now and the general direction of costume design is not something that's appealing to me very much right now. I sound like MoonsaultSlayer because he's always harping on this point but man, they BETTER have an option to disable customs when facing others online. Or give me a cross-platform play PC version.

I am doubting they're going to remove simple content like customs from the console version that was seen in the arcades but who knows,.

Usually, people don't harp for content to be removed from a game but I'm really hoping these color schemes and old customs don't make it into the final release.

I'm totally with you on the customization part. It's shit, and neither do I understand, why they are going this way. The options are absolutely hideous and they should give the players a choice of seeing the customs or not online.

Also AAK you animation comparisons are silly at best. You have 5 new characters in Tekken 7 as of now, all with over 50+ new unique animated moves. There are more new animations in Tekken 7 with those characters than will be in the entity of SFV. That's what I mean by false equvaliency. You expect 10x the work out of the Tekken staff. Poorly animating 18 normals & 3 specials compared to move lists in the 100s is stupid.

DEATH™

TTT2's customs don't let you customize individual parts like hands, ankles, upper body, lower body, arms, etc. Tekken 6 allowed you to be very creative with each design.

Tekken 6 also had predetermined colors and a large variety of them BUT thankfully had nothing that was disgustingly obnoxious.

Tekken 6's customs were also character specific and reflected the design of the character:

iRdBv163oHeJS.jpg

It wasn't random nonsense like Heihachi with a weird T-Shirt and leather pants.

But most of all, the Tekken 6 designs had actual effort put into them. Their clothes shared the cloth effects of the default designs while looking at TTT2's letterman jackets and such that would just stick to the character like some PS1 asset.

The thing is TTT2 gets a free pass because we understood they had to make concessions to let 4 characters be on the screen while Tekken 6 only had to worry about 2.

Tekken 7 doesn't have that same limitation so going with TTT2's primitive, obnoxious, and ugly system rathar than Tekken 6's that was the greatest system in all of FG's is a backward decision.

That is what exactly what I don't get, why people are focusing on what is not there instead of what is there...

TTT2's one darn innovative customization system that did something that no FG has ever done so far... which is DECALS. Decals pretty much had you over the keys to making custom "textures" to your customizations.

There is a reason that the "cloth effects" aren't there for those types of clothes that you can decal over. Not even considering the performance issues for a decaled custom, if I use a different "material" to a model, the same rendering effect will happen onto that custom, no matter what the color is. There is a some implications with this. If let's say a custom is rendered as "shiny" (high specular reflection, like chrome, leather etc) it will shine like that everytime. But if I am the guy who want to decal it to look like a regular matte surface, I will find the shininess bad.

In this sense, it will be better off making the decal customs to be in the same common denominator (matte surface. I dunno if it's a Lambert shader).

The problem in TTT2 customization is that, it's not a horrible system at all, but it just hands the keys to the player. For every 1 person that sees the power and make good designs, there's another 500 who do not know what to do with it, and another 500 trolls that will make awful designs on purpose.

Not a fan at all. It feels like the clothes are a size or two too big. I tried to give Feng his red suit and it seemed like he lost a bunch of weight all of a sudden. I understand that it would take alot of effort custom fitting every item to each character so i can deal.
Just a little annoying.

Understandable...

AAK

If you want to compare things in that detail... how about comparing the fact that Street Fighter has animate everything by hand while Namco manages to do 90% of everything with MoCap where you invest initially in an actor (that can even multi-task different characters) and then capture 100's of moves at once.

How about another example with MKX where they also reanimated the entire cast ALONG with the art. Along with that they made animations for all the EX moves, the different fatalities, the different brutalities, the character specific fight intro's. And they did all of that without getting any money from arcades.

And I never asked for Namco to reanimate everything, just get rid of the Tekken 2 animations. I.E. Kazuya's super is 3 different moves that are still animating the same since Tekken 2.

DEATH™;157864831 said:
That is what exactly what I don't get, why people are focusing on what is not there instead of what is there...

There is no Decal system in T7 so far.

And even if there was, why would a decal system be incompatible with Tekken 6's system of customizing individual arms, legs, chest, feet, etc. rather than settling for only upper body and lower body?

Sayah

DEATH™;157864831 said:

TTT2's one darn innovative customization system that did something that no FG has ever done so far... which is DECALS. Decals pretty much had you over the keys to making custom "textures" to your customizations.

There is a reason that the "cloth effects" aren't there for those types of clothes that you can decal over. Not even considering the performance issues for a decaled custom, if I use a different "material" to a model, the same rendering effect will happen onto that custom, no matter what the color is. There is a some implications with this. If let's say a custom is rendered as "shiny" (high specular reflection, like chrome, leather etc) it will shine like that everytime. But if I am the guy who want to decal it to look like a regular matte surface, I will find the shininess bad.

In this sense, it will be better off making the decal customs to be in the same common denominator (matte surface. I dunno if it's a Lambert shader).

The problem in TTT2 customization is that, it's not a horrible system at all, but it just hands the keys to the player. For every 1 person that sees the power and make good designs, there's another 500 who do not know what to do with it, and another 500 trolls that will make awful designs on purpose.

Understandable...

Wasn't TTT2s decal system just borrowed over from SCV?

I'm totally with you on the customization part. It's shit, and neither do I understand, why they are going this way. The options are absolutely hideous and they should give the players a choice of seeing the customs or not online.

Yes, yes.

It's not even appropriate to call it half-assed work. It's literally a copy-paste of TTT2 assets.

If you want to compare things in that detail... how about comparing the fact that Street Fighter has animate everything by hand while Namco manages to do 90% of everything with MoCap where you invest initially in an actor (that can even multi-task different characters) and then capture 100's of moves at once.

How about another example with MKX where they also reanimated the entire cast ALONG with the art. Along with that they made animations for all the EX moves, the different fatalities, the different brutalities, the character specific fight intro's. And they did all of that without getting any money from arcades.

And I never asked for Namco to reanimate everything, just get rid of the Tekken 2 animations. I.E. Kazuya's super is 3 different moves that are still animating the same since Tekken 2.

Thing with that is that Netherrealm is under WB. Rich, rich. And is coming off the high success of Injustice, which sold a ton based on DC characters alone. Meanwhile, Capcom's only been able to fund SFV thanks to Sony's involvement. Namco has a successful arcade+console profit model but TTT2 wasn't the grand success that previous titles were.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DEATH™;157864831 said:

Actually, SoulCalibur V had decals. They were a little more limited than Tekken Tag 2's, but cleaner and easier to use. SCV also let you change costume patterns, which was a great feature, and hasn't been adopted by any other fighting game since.

AAK

It's true that WB is big.... but you have to consider that Tekken still makes more money (when you include Arcade money) than Mortal Kombat does which can't even be sold in so many Asian countries + Australia making its market only North America + Europe while Tekken has access to the entire world.

Degen

TTT2 customization had to be limited for the sake of good netcode? Lol

T6 customization was the best? Money-grinding so you could buy/randomly unlock a slightly different color for your jeans was the BEST? Lol

No other fighting game let you add decals, patterns or textures? Lol

wow

guys soulcalibur 5 is pretty good

you should try it

DEATH™

There is no Decal system in T7 so far.

And even if there was, why would a decal system be incompatible with Tekken 6's system of customizing individual arms, legs, chest, feet, etc. rather than settling for only upper body and lower body?

1. How many numbered SFs came out? Don't get too baffled about that they "make hand-crafted animation" stuff. People recycle stuff one way or another, it's just the matter of how they hide it. It's easy to reuse assets in a 2D game where you don't have to look at the animation closely everytime aside supers.

Just imagine that along with the fact that SF do not pump out many next numbered titles in a decade, and they also have fewer moves to deal with. MK also have the luxury of a big budget too.

2. Same reason why TTT2 customs (or TTT2 in general) didn't flourish as much. You give too much control to the player. Some will be happy with it, more will be overwhelmed. Not to mention you can only do what the engine, hardware, budget, schedule, and corporate powers allows you to do.

I don't mind if you can call out the BS but consider too that these things isn't that simple where you can just shout "lazy devs", especially if you are not in there personally seeing how the development process work...

-----------

EDIT Oh forgot about SCV lol. I forgot that game existed *shots fired*

Sayah

Injustice should have been okay for an international audience, though. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe also didn't have all the gore and that game again sold tons based off the DC universe.

Personally, I don't like comparing games in such a manner especially when it's 2D vs 3D.

MKX isn't perfect either. It's a repetitive point but their female designs are hideous and it surprises me that a game with that sort of a budget can't hire a competent modeler. The game is releasing soon and we'll know soon enough how well balanced it is and how good the netcode is. Based off precedent, it's probably not any good.

Anyway, the point being it's not all sunshine and rainbows on the other side either.

Sayah

T6 customization was the best? Money-grinding so you could buy/randomly unlock a slightly different color for your jeans was the BEST? Lol

wow

you should try it

Tekken 6's unlocking system was ass but we're talking about the actual quality of the customs themselves.

And yes, it's completely understandable why TTT2 had to make concessions on the customization system because it had four characters on screen. But Tekken 7 doesn't have that. So I don't know why they're using TTT2 assets in Tekken 7.

DEATH™

Injustice should have been okay for an international audience, though. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe also didn't have all the gore and that game again sold tons based off the DC universe.

Personally, I don't like comparing games in such a manner especially when it's 2D vs 3D.

MKX isn't perfect either. It's a repetitive point but their female designs are hideous and it surprises me that a game with that sort of a budget can't hire a competent modeler. The game is releasing soon and we'll know soon enough how well balanced it is and how good the netcode is. Based off precedent, it's probably not any good.

Anyway, the point being it's not all sunshine and rainbows on the other side either.

Exactly. That's why I think the pessimism is going a bit overboard.

EDIT Sayah also consider that T7 arcade also plays online... But at the same time, I will say that the game is mad rushed.

Creaking

wow

you should try it

The price scaling was flawed (though usually you could just dick around in scenario campaign's later levels on hard and sell your loot from that to get plenty of cashola), but the design principles behind the customizations made it great. Except for a small group of hats and glasses, there were no shared customizations. Every piece of equipment was tailored specifically to the body and identity of the characters they were made for. You got supercop and kung fu stuff for Lei, long-coats and evil-leader stuff for Jin, ninja/tech stuff for Raven, etc.

And for the most part it was all quality. I remember reading people flipping out that Grand Theft Auto 5 had flip-flops that actually flopped, but Tekken 6 actually did those much earlier (I believe Lei has some).

SCV is good, but you choose only from a pool of shared customizations that don't always fit a characters well. Also there was some seriously obnoxious "deez items conflict" going on.

AAK

Yeah, I understand that there definitely could be corporate factors at work here.

In the end my arguments all stem from the fact that so many other developers are accomplishing it so I just expected Tekken 7 to at least try to eclipse them considering it is the biggest fighting game in the world.

If we're talking only 3D games, a much much smaller game that's Virtua Fighter that went and reanimated all the throws of the entire cast done to Taka. And this was all done to make the game more presentable all while giving the heavy weight class characters unique knockdown & stun animations simultaneously.

And it does bring me back where VF4 would do all things like rankings, customizations and then Tekken 5 would release after trumping them in that department. That sort of healthy competition between the two developers trying to outdo each other is something I expected too from Tekken 7.

Numb

wow

you should try it
I would be happy if Tekken had SC custom modes. And it is made by Namco too so i don't know why they dont just put it in.
You can't have everything you want i guess.

Sayah

Yeah, I understand that there definitely could be corporate factors at work here.

In the end my arguments all stem from the fact that so many other developers are accomplishing it so I just expected Tekken 7 to at least try to eclipse them.

If we're talking only 3D games, a much much smaller game that's Virtua Fighter that went and reanimated all the throws of the entire cast done to Taka. And this was all done to make the game more presentable all while giving the heavy weight class characters unique knockdown & stun animations simultaneously.

And it does bring me back where VF4 would do all things like rankings, customizations and then Tekken 5 would release after trumping them in that department. That sort of healthy competition between the two developers trying to outdo each other is something I expected too from Tekken 7.

That's probably part of the reason. Tekken literally has no more competition left because Sega is all focused on mobile games now. Namco doesn't have anyone left to 1UP in the arcade space as far as 3D fighters go.

DEATH™;157868206 said:
Exactly. That's why I think the pessimism is going a bit overboard.

EDIT Sayah also consider that T7 arcade also plays online... But at the same time, I will say that the game is mad rushed.

It does feel very rushed at this point.

Murray and Harada said the reason for time release characters is because people were overwhelmed with TTT2s starting cast.

I think the real reason is that the cast isn't even finished and they're doing things as they come. Even though returning characters are staying largely the same, they still need to work on new models, rage arts, power crush moves, and changed properties on screw attacks/combos.

Degen

Tekken 6's unlocking system was ass but we're talking about the actual quality of the customs themselves.

And yes, it's completely understandable why TTT2 had to make concessions on the customization system because it had four characters on screen. But Tekken 7 doesn't have that. So I don't know why they're using TTT2 assets in Tekken 7.
Every time you wanted to change something T6 you had to let the whole ensemble reload for 5-10 seconds

every time. different-colored hat, different pair of glasses, every time.

no decals, still plenty of repeated items, still not the most varied selection, and bad netcode to use it on anyway

#best

And how often are four characters actually on the screen in TTT2? All those simultaneous tag crashes and tag throw breaks?

Did the developers ever confirm that or have fans just been repeating each other from day one?

Sayah

Every time you wanted to change something T6 you had to let the whole ensemble reload for 5-10 seconds

every time. different-colored hat, different pair of glasses, every time.

no decals, still plenty of repeated items, still not the most varied selection, and bad netcode to use it on anyway

#best

And how often are four characters actually on the screen in TTT2? All those simultaneous tag crashes and tag throw breaks?

Did the developers ever confirm that or have fans just been repeating each other from day one?

Dawg, I'm talking about actual quality of customs. You're talking about loading times, netcode, and method of buying/unlocking customs, all of which we know Tekken 6 was terrible at.

DEATH™

Lol is this official?

NSFW

Can't be.

Uh-oh...

EDIT Degen alot of times.... Tag Throw Breaks and more importantly, "Halloween" Tag Assaults...

EDIT2 Sayah yeah... when you got loading times like that, I think we cannot really complain about customization quality...

EDIT3 its a custom T6 card. Thanks KTA for pointing it out

Manbig

The customization has always sucked.

The hitbox/hurtboxes have always sucked.

The character designs have sucked more often than not.

The impact of the new gameplay mechaics remain to be seen.

Sayah

The customization has always sucked.

The hitbox/hurtboxes have always sucked.

The character designs have sucked more often than not.

The impact of the new gameplay mechaics remain to be seen.

Back off manny. I love Tekken 6 customs. lol.

Character designs have not always sucked. They've done such a good job before. It's more recently (since Tekken 6 Bob, Alisa, Lars) that I'm annoyed with them. But Tekken 7 is just taking the cake in bad designs.

LowParry

Sooooooo Tekken should be doing something that DOA is not? What does Tekken have to prove against what 3D fighter these days?

AAK

Sooooooo Tekken should be doing something that DOA is not? What does Tekken have to prove against what 3D fighter these days?

One thing Tekken can really learn from Dead or Alive is making their game have no load times b/w matches. In DOA you can change your stage or rematch with the same character and have the next match come up instantly with no load times. You can even set it to cycle through the various costumes and that comes up along with 0 load times. I don't know how Team Ninja did it but it's one of the greatest features in a fighting game yet.

Was hoping this would be the case in T7 when someone chooses a Revenge Match since it will go back to the same stage... but unfortunately they still have to reload the entire stage. It's so surprising considering SCV has instant rematches.

Bonus points for Tekken if they can at least fix some of the female casts' models with their ridiculously proportioned shoulders. Biggest offenders in TTT2 were Christie and Nina... but it's just a nitpick and not that big of a deal.

LowParry

Bonus points for Tekken if they can at least fix some of the female casts' models with their ridiculously proportioned shoulders. Biggest offenders in TTT2 were Christie and Nina... but it's just a nitpick and not that big of a deal.

Highly highly agree with this. They've given the female cast a more softer face...how about the rest.

Sayah

Nina and Christie were purposefully kept muscular with broader shoulders from the looks of it. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been too hard to give them the same model figure as say the other mature female cast (Kunimitsu, Angel, Michelle, Jaycee, Anna, Jun).

Creaking

Josie fights cool, but her outfit looks like random TTT2 customization items thrown together, only with better physics. And she's yet another young, petite female fighter. But at least she seems to provide some ethnic diversity.

Also, what was with the crying after winning? I hope this isn't another Pyrrha situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom