• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

Guess what, this game were released in Japan 15 years ago:

vczPdtk.jpg

It's funny over last 20 years people talked how real time graphics/models are getting close to renders yet even Tekken 7 doesn't have anything of this old Kaz detail.

Pachimari

I might stream TEKKEN 7 tonight when I get home from my business trip.

Sounds good!
Hopefully I can catch it live this time, but I'll probably be sleeping if it's in 9-12 hours time.

All the newcomers are actually growing on me, and I am pretty positive about Tekken 7 now.

Dereck

It's funny over last 20 years people talked how real time graphics/models are getting close to renders yet even Tekken 7 doesn't have anything of this old Kaz detail.
In retrospect this Kazuya in particular looks dated and the Tekken 7 model Kazuya probably looks marginally better.

Actually, what I'm seeing here is the equivalent of a Dead or Alive 5 Last Round model close up. The models are clean and crisp but lack detail, this Kazuya looks that way.

GrayFoxPL

I just watched almost 2 hours of Jin in practice mode. Link at Wonkeys and ATP. I'm on ps3.

NOTES:

Screw Bounds:
df1,4

- EWHF launches closer then earlier. Cannot bound after it. Not so great combo damage without wall hit.

- Regular f,d,df+2 still has old knockdown on normal.

- 4 goes through on normal like T5, gives spin stagger. Wall stuns on normal. Ch is old knd, still inconsistent b21 pick up.

- df+1,4 no knockdown, spin stagger. Wall stuns.

- df+4 gives huge ground bounce on ch. Like Pauls qcb1 ch. Combo galore.

- uf+2 fall back stun on ch. Possible to connect cd ws4, 4 S! but very hard.
At wall uf+2 ch, gives free 1+2 into wall stun! bf2,1,2 takes 50% after that.

- db+2,3 seems meh, doesn't spike in juggles and even at wall opponent tech rolls lightning fast. Inconsistent.

- b+1 stance 4 gives good oki

- 1,2,3 after wall stun seems pretty weak now in terms of damage and oki.

- Most damaging combo I saw - electric cd1, ewhf, 1,2,4, b+3 F 1,2 W! db2,2,3 close to 60%

- cd4 is old but you can bound. Low damage combo. Best the dude could do was cd4, df1,4 , bf2,3,F 4 bcause it's all in opp back.

- his power crush followup soccer kick never makes opp hit wall.

- His RageArte range looks hilarious.

Rest of moves seemed like old generally and I can't remember anything else.

Pachimari

When I see you having picked up on all that through a stream I am insanely impressed beyond belief. It is just cool that some people can pick up on the combos just by watching.

I'll go check out the stream now.

Famitsu have a feature on Tekken 7 next week according to Wonkey.

Numb

When I see you having picked up on all that through a stream I am insanely impressed beyond belief. It is just cool that some people can pick up on the combos just by watching.

I'll go check out the stream now.

It is easy to do so if yo main the guy.
I can bet that you will notice any slight differences that are given to Josie going forward.

Pachimari

Yeah I bet. I'll keep a close eye to Josie as well.

I actually think Jin's outfit also looks slick in white:

I'm checking out impressions of Josie Rizal, and they seem to be split in the Filipino community on Facebook. Some are saying the red headband looks like devil horns, and they are very sensitive to stuff like that, while others are proud, that they're national hero is being recognized. But I'm not surprised if some Filipinos will be insulted by the clothing, and the name.

[edit] Actually, there seems to be most positive impressions thankfully.

lupinko

I dunno, but Tekken 7 looks really nice to me, you can see many details like pores on characters now.

The fact they went even there says a lot.

Unreal Engine still has problems with hair though. Lol

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, if you spent enough time with a character you know his every frame.

Agree Jin's alternate color white pants, boots and gold pattern looks much better then default.

I forgot to say that T7 Practice mode doesn't seem to have punish, ch indicators but there's new mirror option where cpu inputs the same as you, same movement and eg. like ff+2. Having 2 different characters make for some interesting testing.

Pachimari

That was a sick comeback by Lucky Chloe! After sidestepping Leo's attack, she activated her Rage Art right away so she couldn't block, and the way she end her Rage Art is freaking nice. Bam!

I love what I see from Tekken 7.

[edit] Nice fan art of Rizal:

[edit 2] I would actually pay a lot, probably up to $100, for a Jollibee costume for Rizal:

[edit 3] This is the impression I get when reading opinions too:

The announcement and reveal of the Josie Rizal character was met with a mix of excitement[36] and derision among Filipino netizens.[37] Among the criticisms around the net were the lack of respect towards the martyred Philippine national hero Dr. José Rizal (who practiced wrestling and Eskrima from Calamba, Laguna, Jujutsu from Japan, fencing and marksmanship from Europe and weightlifting)[38] as well as misrepresentation of Filipino Martial Arts.[39] According to Tekken chief producer Katsuhiro Harada and co-designers Mark Julio[40] and Mari Shimazaki, [41]Josie Rizal practiced kickboxing and Eskrima, but the move set in her reveal video consisted of mostly generic and recycled moves from earlier existing characters in the Tekken series and did not feature actual Eskrima empty-hand moves, just a few from Yaw-Yan kickboxing.

Her outfit and character design also drew a lot of ridicule (described by some fans as "disgusting", "piss poor" and "lazy")[42] in its lack of actual Filipino flavor (its design based on the Flag of the Philippines, but bear little resemblance to what Filipinos actually wear)[42] and her ending "win" animation which had her crying was widely mocked by netizens.[37][42] An official of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts was not quite happy with the way the character of Josie was depicted and stated that they would try to look at steps to remedy how she might affect the image of Dr. José Rizal and the Philippines[43] by possibly submitting additional materials for the Tekken Team to use

GrayFoxPL

Watch for a name and costume change. Dean Earwicker, I still miss you.

And MM and Harada thought we were bitchy. Those Pinoy fans really gave them the rundown.

Just don't erase her completely, I like her style.

Dereck

Josie should have been a set a twins, depending on what costume you pick you could get the brother or sister, dope shit.

Manbig

I just watched almost 2 hours of Jin in practice mode. Link at Wonkeys and ATP. I'm on ps3.

NOTES:

Screw Bounds:
df1,4

- EWHF launches closer then earlier. Cannot bound after it. Not so great combo damage without wall hit.

- Regular f,d,df+2 still has old knockdown on normal.

- 4 goes through on normal like T5, gives spin stagger. Wall stuns on normal. Ch is old knd, still inconsistent b21 pick up.

- df+1,4 no knockdown, spin stagger. Wall stuns.

- df+4 gives huge ground bounce on ch. Like Pauls qcb1 ch. Combo galore.

- uf+2 fall back stun on ch. Possible to connect cd ws4, 4 S! but very hard.
At wall uf+2 ch, gives free 1+2 into wall stun! bf2,1,2 takes 50% after that.

- db+2,3 seems meh, doesn't spike in juggles and even at wall opponent tech rolls lightning fast. Inconsistent.

- b+1 stance 4 gives good oki

- 1,2,3 after wall stun seems pretty weak now in terms of damage and oki.

- Most damaging combo I saw - electric cd1, ewhf, 1,2,4, b+3 F 1,2 W! db2,2,3 close to 60%

- cd4 is old but you can bound. Low damage combo. Best the dude could do was cd4, df1,4 , bf2,3,F 4 bcause it's all in opp back.

- his power crush followup soccer kick never makes opp hit wall.

- His RageArte range looks hilarious.

Rest of moves seemed like old generally and I can't remember anything else.

Theater10 showing off some Jin combos

You can pick up with b2,1 after a CH u/f2. That's a pretty huge buff for that move. Assuming that they kept the frames the same, this could be a huge addition.

He also is able to do b,f2,1, d/f1, 4, into whatever after CD4. Solid wall carry, and I'm sure he can spike for floor breaks.

Side note: Even though I know they are going to fix this, good. Fuck this move.

AAK

I don't know how they'll fix that... Isn't that just the rollback netcode? From what I understand Law successfully sidestepped that move but the the Asuka player's cab predicted it would connect and the flash appeared, once the actual thing didn't happen, the hit effect got disabled. That's just the way the netcode is designed.

GrayFoxPL

I won't be able to pull off most of those combos. Especially that EWHF dash EWHF.
Ooh, Jin doesn't need a flag anymore to combo out of CH 4.

Jin never looked boring! :mad:

You don't have to. EWHF into long crouch dash 2 works.

I love Karate, some people think it's boring.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
In retrospect this Kazuya in particular looks dated and the Tekken 7 model Kazuya probably looks marginally better.

Actually, what I'm seeing here is the equivalent of a Dead or Alive 5 Last Round model close up. The models are clean and crisp but lack detail, this Kazuya looks that way.

I think the big difference is that Kazuya on the TTT cover doesn't have his permanent scowl. Since his reintroduction in 4 and especially with 5 and all the following games, he looks so blatantly evil that he comes off as a cartoon, rather than a naturalistic image of a human being. With that hair he's always going to be a few steps away from realistic, but I'd argue that he looks closer to it in TTT than in T7. Maybe he's more detailed in Tekken 7, but he looks more like a video game character.

iPFVNASBYduRj.png

See what I mean?

Pachimari

I don't think they're gonna make any changes to Rizal based on the "outcries" because there's way more positive feedback.

When is the twitch.tv/tekken stream starting?

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Jin looks super solid! Can't wait to see Yoshi's new design. So far I think I'll use:
-Lars
-DJ
-Jin
-Shaheen
-Claudio
-Kazuya

Then I'll see which ones I like the most.
Jin, DJ, Lars.

Guess what, this game were released in Japan 15 years ago:

vczPdtk.jpg
My favorite game cover of all time, that and MGS2.

Pachimari

My main will be Josie Rizal. And she's the one I'll train with.

My secondaries in casual battles will be Marshall, Jin and Lucky Chloe.

lupinko

I'm at 68 games played and 23 wins thus far in Tekken 7. Only four of those games (and two of those wins) were local play.

1) I'm terrible at this game.

2) Tekken is bringing the home experience to arcade! Laggy netcode included!

I'm not blaming the lag, but gotta call a spade a spade.

This is Tekken. I should not be able to do what i see on screen in real life. Jin looks and fights like a normal dude. Where are my Jinpachi teleports or animal fights?
Boring.

Kazumi and Devil Kazumi kinda do both. Lol

Manbig

This is Tekken. I should not be able to do what i see on screen in real life.

Why? That is the part of Tekken that I like the most. It was originally just a bunch of fighting styles based on real martial arts along with a handful of joke stuff and over the top moves. It is their constant detour from realistic fighting styles that turns me off from the series.

lupinko

I have all this gold and I can't do shit with it because of the item lotto system.

I'd be knee deep in bling right now if this was DR.

Edit: need suggestions for a 16 character limit comment for my status in game.

GrayFoxPL

Why? That is the part of Tekken that I like the most. It was originally just a bunch of fighting styles based on real martial arts along with a handful of joke stuff and over the top moves. It is their constant detour from realistic fighting styles that turns me off from the series.

I'm with Manny on this one. I am in Tekken for martial arts not robo maids, dancer girls, wizard priests or other clowns.

Aren't there at least dozen more kung fu styles alone left out? Give me blind Tai Chi fighter.
Watch Tai Chi Master with Jet Li for reference.

Btw. where are the times where Tekken team just watched martial art movies and put that data in the game?

Why can't I play a character based on Donnie Yen, Jacky Wu, Scott Adkins, Iko Uwais or Andy On?

Why point of reference today is Idolmaster or rejects from SoulCalibur?

Becon of hope is a character like Josie having mostly martial art moves yet someone at Tekken team insisted that she still have that clowny look.

I'm not saying I blame Harada for everything but I blame Harada for everything.

Murray too. ;P

Numb

I am not all about te crazy either. I like kings and the way the capos fight. I originally strted to play the games beause of Forest Law in T3 because of Bruce Lee.
Lei is probably one of the best Jackie Chan characters too.
Unless you don't count Chun Li.
I was joiking about what i said before. Jin is still boring tho but i find many Tekken characers boring. Good thing there is a bunch to choose from.

Pachimari

I'm really split myself. I were always in Tekken for the representation of real fighting styles, like Jin's karate, Paul's judo, Steve's boxing etc. But I find myself really liking Lucky Chloe. =/

PS: I seriously need a wallpaper with the Josie Rizal character art.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm with Manny on this one. I am in Tekken for martial arts not robo maids, dancer girls, wizard priests or other clowns.

Aren't there at least dozen more kung fu styles alone left out? Give me blind Tai Chi fighter.
Watch Tai Chi Master with Jet Li for reference.

Btw. where are the times where Tekken team just watched martial art movies and put that data in the game?

Why can't I play a character based on Donnie Yen, Jacky Wu, Scott Adkins, Iko Uwais or Andy On?

Why point of reference today is Idolmaster or rejects from SoulCalibur?

Becon of hope is a character like Josie having mostly martial art moves yet someone at Tekken team insisted that she still have that clowny look.

I'm not saying I blame Harada for everything but I blame Harada for everything.

Murray too. ;P

To be fair, Feng Weis is really, really heavily based on Jet Li in the Once upon a time films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom