• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Noticed the damage of hwo in Tekken 7 is insanely high in the new Knee YT vid.
Even his rage art is high tier compared to the rest since it has crazy range and can be done at almost max distance carry in a combo and still reach.

AAK

#TeamManny

The thing that drew my attention to Tekken was definitely how they implemented the choreography of Martial Arts movies into the mix.

Even supernatural movies like the original Mortal Kombat in 1995 don't have the ridiculous moves seen in the recent Tekken cast. They're not bad necessarily... but it definitely lacks the charm and aesthetic presented in the previous Tekken games.

But to be honest, with characters like LC coming in, it's obvious there's no chance Tekken will ever go back to that style. Oh well, it's Namco's game and they can do whatever they like.

AAK or anyone else, what are some useful frame traps with Hwoarang? I don't know much about that stuff.

There are so many with Hwoarang... For example:

d+3,4 on hit. If your opponent does ANYTHING other than block, d/f+4 will launch them.

WR+3 on block. If they press any button, f+1+2 will counterhit them and you can get a full juggle.

CD+3 on block. You're at 0. If they do any move that's 10 frames or slower LFS f+3 will hit them. Just do the extension and you've launched them.

RFF f,f+4,3 on block. This is super gimmicky and everyone that's seen that move knows to duck the second hit plus they have a VERY long time to react. But if they don't you're at like +11 or something. You get a guaranteed RFF 2,b+4 that can wall splat.

There are a lot but I hope you get the idea.

Numb

Looks like JDCR is not too happy about how him and some of his friends were treated during his trip to Peru.

https://www.facebook.com/tkjdcr/posts/1080142025348849

What a huge bummer. I feel for him. That is something that would effect the performance of any man.
I feel like they were not trying to do all of the bad stuff on purpose tho. It might be how they live on a daily basis.
The lies they pulled off were really douchey still.

sasuke_91

I also prefer realism in Tekken. I remember when I first saw T3 I was amazed by how it looked like they were really fighting. Blew my 8 year-old mind (I think I was 8 back then :p).

There are so many with Hwoarang... For example:

d+3,4 on hit. If your opponent does ANYTHING other than block, d/f+4 will launch them.

WR+3 on block. If they press any button, f+1+2 will counterhit them and you can get a full juggle.

CD+3 on block. You're at 0. If they do any move that's 10 frames or slower LFS f+3 will hit them. Just do the extension and you've launched them.

RFF f,f+4,3 on block. This is super gimmicky and everyone that's seen that move knows to duck the second hit plus they have a VERY long time to react. But if they don't you're at like +11 or something. You get a guaranteed RFF 2,b+4 that can wall splat.

There are a lot but I hope you get the idea.

Thanks man. I knew about the first one and the thing with RFF f,f+4,3, especially at the wall. It rarely works though, since everybody knows about it :p
Is there anywhere where I can read up about these things? Maybe I'm blind but I didn't find anything useful at TZ.

Looks like JDCR is not too happy about how him and some of his friends were treated during his trip to Peru.

I hope that's a joke. I would feel very bad for him if this was real.

Dereck

Y'all need to hop on this PS4 Core Fighters guys.

Party chat on PS4 makes a huge difference and plus the netcode is better.

AAK

I has a PS4 guyz.

Just played some DOA5 against bout. Netcode was finally playable :)

Also was searching for the Josie reveal thread earlier and I found the Katarina reveal thread instead... Look what I found:

All I want is a Filipina girl doing Eskrima. But I don't think I'll get my wish with this installment either. We probably won't get anymore than 5 new characters and we already know 2-3.

WTF....this was a post made last year too! How did you get:

a) a Filipino
b) a Female
c) and Eskrimat practitioner

All in one!? Somebody is definitely listening to you :p

Thanks man. I knew about the first one and the thing with RFF f,f+4,3, especially at the wall. It rarely works though, since everybody knows about it :p
Is there anywhere where I can read up about these things? Maybe I'm blind but I didn't find anything useful at TZ.

There is no one resource for all this stuff. It comes mostly through experience, observation, and general knowledge. Knowing which moves are +frames or 0 frames on block are huge in noticing frame traps. The rule is still the same accross all the cast, you just have to know WHICH moves are the ones with those properties.

EDIT: And yeah, the JDCR fiasco does kinda suck. A sure way to ruin any future developments for the Peru scene :(

Sayah

I has a PS4 guyz.

Also was searching for the Josie reveal thread earlier and I found the Katarina reveal thread instead... Look what I found:

:O

They're reading our forum.

HI Harada-san. Hello Murray-san. Bring me Nina and Anna!!!!!!!

Also, congrats on PS4. Mine has been collecting dust but I'm using the same PSN ID as PS3.

HardRojo

Regrettably, this is true. I'm from Peru but I wasn't involved in this poor excuse of a tournament. We've had people the caliber of Justin Wong and Chris G over and they would gladly come back for another event. My friends and I are not involved with the Tekken scene and it's a real shame for us that our country's reputation is tarnished for the lack of preparation of another group. This will definitely send red flags to other people we might invite to come over :/ I hope the local Tekken community at least owns up to their fuck ups.

Pachimari

WTF....this was a post made last year too! How did you get:

a) a Filipino
b) a Female
c) and Eskrimat practitioner

All in one!? Somebody is definitely listening to you :p
Harada, Jollibee costume please! ;)

Download Core Fighters
Funny I downloaded this two days ago. I'm gonna boot it up.

sasuke_91

I has a PS4 guyz.

Wow, now I understand why Madridista is so hyped about Josie. It's the character he's been waiting for this entire time.

And congrats on getting a PS4. I need one too, so stop making me jealous, guys :p

There is no one resource for all this stuff. It comes mostly through experience, observation, and general knowledge. Knowing which moves are +frames or 0 frames on block are huge in noticing frame traps. The rule is still the same accross all the cast, you just have to know WHICH moves are the ones with those properties.

Thanks for the explanation. So because WR+3 is +7 (or +8?) for example, everything that is as fast as 16 frames should get you a counterhit. I got it.

Manbig

Here's a new Tekken 7 Steve combo video. Outside of some very specific situations, the combo damage is actually surprisingly low. I don't know if there were some recent damage nerfs, but this reminds me of when I first saw Tekken 6 Bryan's walless juggle damage. Was a pretty big step down from his DR days.

EDIT: Also, the snowy stage in that combo video appears to be Lee's Tekken 2 stage with the rocket in the background, unless I'm just not remembering things correctly.

Dereck

Setnomessej said he is going to interview Fighting GM.

I'm excited because we'll get to see who his favorite players are and more.

EDIT: Got a new capture card brehs, and a new HDCP stripper, gonna reinstall windows on my computer and hopefully everything will check out.

GrayFoxPL

Here's a new Tekken 7 Steve combo video. Outside of some very specific situations, the combo damage is actually surprisingly low. I don't know if there were some recent damage nerfs, but this reminds me of when I first saw Tekken 6 Bryan's walless juggle damage. Was a pretty big step down from his DR days.

EDIT: Also, the snowy stage in that combo video appears to be Lee's Tekken 2 stage with the rocket in the background, unless I'm just not remembering things correctly.

That stage was inside hangar with a space shuttle.

Sayah

Just read response from Peru TO to what JDCR wrote.

http://pastebin.com/Wqr6wTa7

Sad things turned out the way they did.

1. JDCR said he was told the tournament was a bigger event with a lot of players but ended up being in a very small room with limited players. To this, the tournament organizer did not give a response in his retort, which to me implies that they did lie to JDCR about that. Unless a lot of people somehow didn't show up on tourney day,

2. The TO is saying they paid for JDCRs airfare from South Korea --> Atlanta --> Peru and back to SK and he's only making an issue because he lost and got 2nd place. What JDCR's intentions were is just one side's word against the others. But JDCR should understand Peru is a developing country, not a developed one. Don't expect the same level of amenities as SK or USA, both very well developed.

Not sure what to think on the matter overall.

Just read response from Peru TO to what JDCR wrote.

http://pastebin.com/Wqr6wTa7

Sad things turned out the way they did.

1. JDCR said he was told the tournament was a bigger event with a lot of players but ended up being in a very small room with limited players. To this, the tournament organizer did not give a response in his retort, which to me implies that they did lie to JDCR about that. Unless a lot of people somehow didn't show up on tourney day,

2. The TO is saying they paid for JDCRs airfare from South Korea --> Atlanta --> Peru and back to SK and he's only making an issue because he lost and got 2nd place. What JDCR's intentions were is just one side's word against the others. But JDCR should understand Peru is a developing country, not a developed one. Don't expect the same level of amenities as SK or USA, both very well developed.

Not sure what to think on the matter overall.

Thanks for the pastebin!
The author seems legitimately shocked and disappointed.
If JDCR basically pulled (most of) this shit out of his ass just to give an excuse for underperforming I will have lost all respect for that guy.
I guess he didn't at first, but I hope by now he realizes how horribly this could backfire.

sasuke_91

Most of these combos seem a little easier than his T6/TTT2 combos, but the damage is also significantly lower.
The second half were counterhit combos and I thought his WS+2 would get him a launch on normal hit.

I don't know about that JDCR story. We got 2 different stories from 2 parties now. I'm not sure which story I should believe.

Manbig

In another post, JDCR talked about how both he and Saint went to other countries that were just as poor as Peru and were still treated much better. Besides, outside of the shitty hotel and the lack of pay out for second place, most of his complaints were not money related anyway.

Thanks for the pastebin!
The author seems legitimately shocked and disappointed.
If JDCR basically pulled (most of) this shit out of his ass just to give an excuse for underperforming I will have lost all respect for that guy.
I guess he didn't at first, but I hope by now he realizes how horribly this could backfire.

As Anakin and Aris said, JDCR has lost many times and has never once complained abut it, or made any excuses. JDCR himself didn't even mention the actual tournament match. I think it's safe to say that he's only really upset about the experience that he had there.

EDIT: Anakin's thoughts on the whole thing.

Pachimari

Rizal concept art:
9VnAl

Soundtrack:
No plans currently to release a soundtrack CD for Tekken 7. Harada is thinking of a iTunes release though.

Lucky Chloe custom:

And I know, tier lists and all that. By Karei:
S - Kazuya
A - Law, Feng, Hwoarang, Xiaoyu, Paul
B - Shaheen, Bryan, Steve, Claudio, Asuka

GrayFoxPL

Exactly, I have no reason to not believe JDCR. Was he ever a bullshitter?

Accusations that he complains because he lost are on kindergarden level and JDCR isn't kindergarden level person.

To organize anything you gotta be mature and responsible person, I doubt those Peru organizers were anything alike.

CSX

Pekosu just finished streaming some T7 on godsgarden twitch.

He's one of the 10 people in this world actually using Heihachi lol

GrayFoxPL

Pekosu just finished streaming some T7 on godsgarden twitch.

He's one of the 10 people in this world actually using Heihachi lol

I'm craving T7 Heihachi! Why so few?!

I just fired up archive from 3 hours ago. This is it right?

Edit: Knee streams too.

GrayFoxPL

There was only 15 minutes of heihachi. But dude played Shaheen for 1,5 h against crazy good Paul. I'm gonna steal his tech.

Some combos. Sorry for shitty quality gifs.

qfcshd.gif

mvxxjd.gif

xuymlp.gif

ovpcxb.gif

Sayah

In another post, JDCR talked about how both he and Saint went to other countries that were just as poor as Peru and were still treated much better. Besides, outside of the shitty hotel and the lack of pay out for second place, most of his complaints were not money related anyway.

As Anakin and Aris said, JDCR has lost many times and has never once complained abut it, or made any excuses. JDCR himself didn't even mention the actual tournament match. I think it's safe to say that he's only really upset about the experience that he had there.

EDIT: Anakin's thoughts on the whole thing.

I'm not saying JDCR is at fault. I'm saying he should just be a little more considerate of the conditions in the developing world because he was just there for a few days while there are people living every day of their lives without clean water, electricity, air conditioning, etc.

I also read KORs post and he had positive words to say when he visited Peru. But despite that, it's clear that the TO inflated the tourney numbers and couldn't provide basic accommodation like restrooms so they're clearly at fault. On the other hand, though, they did pretty much pay for JDCR's entire trip to USA and Peru so again, I think JDCR could have been a little more considerate and tactful in outlining the negative experience he had instead of calling it the worst ever and banning Peru from his future travels.

At the same time, it's good JDCR didn't keep quiet either so people are more aware. It's not even about tarnishing a country's name. There are assholes in all parts of the world.

Numb

Lionz Den steam room tomorrow?

I am down. Lionz den creeped up on me. I wasn't prepared for another Tekken tournament so soon but it seems like it might be something extra special. I hope JDCR can perform to his utmost ability this time.

Accusations that he complains because he lost are on kindergarden level and JDCR isn't kindergarden level person

To act humble and thankful in person just to turn around and complain on the internet is exactly what I'd call "kindergarten level".
Why would he not voice his disappointment directly to the organizers but instead choose to complain online in such a way? A mature thing for him to do would have been to make sure to talk to the organizer first before releasing such a strong statement.

DEATH™

Notes for playing T7 @ NCR.

General Stuff:

- I cannot fully comment on backdash cancelling since I can't use my stick there (only PS2 pads and the Sanwa Sticks are compatible) but backdashing in itself seems ok aside the initial backwalk animation screwing your timing.

- However, sidestepping took a massive nerf in distance. It felt like you will mostly get hit by things you can avoid in Tag 2 via sidestepping. Markman confirmed this nerf. I haven't done Proper sidewalking or electric sidesteps though to see if it makes a difference.

- Oki as you know it is gone. So far, you can't get a rejuggle with the current oki, though I think there is some loophole around it somewhere. But in general sense, oki is nerfed. Currently, the closests thing to oki you can do is to force people into standing up into a disadvantageous situation. More on this later.

- Bound spikes are techable and nothing is guaranteed.

- Without stage gimmicks involved, juggle damage are surprisingly low. Like, a successful teched GS will hurt just a little bit less than a standard juggle (approximations of course). A regular juggle is like a bit more than a fourth of a lifebar.

- Some wakeup tools are reanimated. Some getup kicks on certain positions got reanimated for example. Tech backroll is still there, but grounded backroll got replaced by some weird looking back standing animation that doesn't cover much space. If you want to get a good space from your opponent when waking up, you need to use the grounded toe kick (which goes for auto backroll).

- It felt like the throwbreak window is a bit late. Haven't tested throwbreaking well on the chances I've played.

- This game does feel different enough that it does focus on the standing game so much more. With all the current system changes right now, your character should have a really good poking/standing game to be viable...

- And this now comes with the overall buffs of each character. Everyone felt like most, if not all, the characters that we played were massively buffed in this game.

- The addition of power crushes and rage arts so far isn't as groundbreaking. Their effectiveness varies from character to character, which is a good thing IMO. Markman proposed to me that some of the rage arts are good as whiff punishers. I can see why.

- Bugs still pop out here and there. There's one time where a character just suddenly teleported from back to the wall to far side.

------------

King specific -

- I felt like the way I play King is totally encouraged in this game lol. SS 2+4 and BJGS gave me more mileage than I should lol.

- cd+1/FC df+1 is still safe

- To what kind of damage do I get from a regular rage combo, it's not worth doing the tailspin to rageart. It's better to save the rageart instead.

- Markman showed me an awesome combo with hopknee, iSW F! df+4,3 , df+2,1 tailspin iSW. Seems pretty piss easy to do and does alot of damage. Too bad I need a floorbreak for it lol.

- f+2,1 is a nice addition to King. It's not groundbreaking but it also makes some things easier. I can see why Namco team added it since it seems more essential to combos now over what f22 series brings to the table.

- d+3 IMO does nothing to King. This is still the game where you can get low crushed or CHed easily (Tag 2 complainers should stop complaining and deal with it). d+3 does nothing in the standing game that will give me insurance for that (no crushing, slow, linear, you can get hit with alot more YOLO moves than other lows).

- However, there are 3 massive buffs with King so far. FIrst, JGS 2 will ALWAYS give you a free crouch throw on natural hit. It doesn't matter if they are standing or crouching. I haven't tested if I can buffer df~df+1+3_2+4 multithrow starter yet though (but it technically should work).

- Second buff is King's ffn2 got the new CH animation where he does a brutal lariat and it does a big chunk of damage. This is a real legit low for King, that's accessible with wavedash.

- Third buff is, ff+1 became a CH launcher (tailspin on CH). In exchange though, it doesn't knockdown on Normal Hit (it forces opponents to turn to side though), but most tracking moves in the game got this same treatment.

- These 3 buffs are massive IMO. This comes back to the new oki of making people stand up in a disadvantageous situation. Jaguar Step and King Wavedash are legit threats now. Jaguar Step becomes a multithrow machine and Wavedash became something that you shouldn't twitch because of how many CH tools King has, not to mention cd multithrows.

- I still need someone to test out if CH push is a guaranteed f+2,1. It's still a guaranteed b+3, but it would be sick if it's guaranteed f+2,1. Hopefully, Tray and Kevs can test it out for me in the weekend.

-------------

Kevs and Tray's observations:

- This game is alot different from T6
- Feels smooth for a beta
- Kev's gonna main Lars and Kaz, while Tray is gonna put serious effort on Hwo and Law
- Devil Kaz is OP
- Tray thought he wasn't gonna like it/expected the same game but was pleasently surprised.
- Xiaoyu felt unfinished.
- Felt a bit of annoyance on some notations of rage arts (most of them are notated on some already existing moves)
- Kaz b+4 is very useful
- Kaz 2nd sweep off CD 4,4 staggers on block now
- Backdashing was pretty much okay, but Sidesteps are really short.
- Getup animation was weird, and some changes to the getup kicks affected their characters

---------

Great thanks to Markman for bringing the T7 machine to NCR. Kudos!

Sayah

Edit: ^^^^ Thanks for those impressions DEATH. I'm liking people are saying it feels different from Tekken 6. One of my biggest concerns was that the new mechanics didn't seem to do much evolution to the gameplay. Also, what was your opinion of the visuals now that you've seen it in person?

Opinions on whether there should be a new Tekken themed website?

DEATH™

Edit: ^^^^ Thanks for those impressions DEATH. I'm liking people are saying it feels different from Tekken 6. One of my biggest concerns was that the new mechanics didn't seem to do much evolution to the gameplay. Also, what was your opinion of the visuals now that you've seen it in person?

Opinions on whether there should be a new Tekken themed website?

Visuals are great. Streams do not do the game justice.

Also, Lucky Chloe is annoying :)

Sayah

^^^^

Thanks Mark for bringing this game to everyone. You're awesome. :)
DEATH™;158781229 said:
Visuals are great. Streams do not do the game justice.

Also, Lucky Chloe is annoying :)

Niiiiice. I really want to play this game.

And also, I say "whatever" to lucky chloe. Sometimes I'm hyped for her and sometimes I hate her. Tekken teams character designing is REALLY on the low-end this time, there's no doubt about that. They're creating all these "cute, young" female characters with annoying voices or habits and I'd rather have more mature, strong fighters like Nina that you would actually see in a fighting tournament. When they announced the guest character designers, I was very excited. Look at the work of Yusuke Kozaki, for instance. It's hard to believe the same person made Lucky Chloe's design.

Yusuke-Kozaki-No-More-Heroes-Heroes-Paradise.jpg

Yusuke-Kozaki-Fire-Emblem-Awakening.jpg

But as I said, "whatever." I'll deal with it. There's still a lot to be excited about.

Numb

I'm thinking about buying DOA on PS4 for $32.99, its tempting
I wanted to get the entire game but found out i would be satisfied with single character purchases.
I checked it out and got the guys i wanted. Got La Mariposa or whatever you call her and Raidou since i saw he has an EWGF. Got Nyotengu too which turned out to be a mistake since i am not a fan of her fighting style. Might get Tina on a later date.

Pachimari

I love these impressions and can't wait to try it out myself. That it feels different to Tekken 6 is lovely to my ears but I'm worried about the side stepping being shorter. It's actually one of the things I were good at lol.

And thanks for the stream, I liked what I saw last night. And I can't help but think, that Lucky Chloe is one of the best newcomers in a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom