• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
To be honest, they are using Tag2 customs but they are fitting those better to models at least.
The clothes "stick" little tighter to characters so they are not looking as ugly as in Tag 2 where the seemed to float and "fatted" the characters bizarrely.

They still aren't close to T6 customs quality. But maybe those weren't "compatible" with T7 custom system. Let's remember that T6 had individual items on feet, hands etc.

Tag 2 custom system is just much cheaper but it makes for just much fucking cheaper customs.

The only thing I ever found bizarre and puzzling was that in Revolution they gave back Jin his original T6 costume as paid one. It's quite shocking since everything else is just Tag2 customs and Tag2 doesn't have that Jin costume.

Oh no- does Tekken 7 not have that??

lupinko

Oh no- does Tekken 7 not have that??

60MNsmO.png

lupinko

I can't read it; are some of those empty categories for hands and feet, or is it truly upper-body and lower-body again?

Oh, I figured the limited options were clear.

Head/Hair
Hair accessory
Glasses
Upper Body
Upper Body accessory
Face
Lower Body
Lower Body accessory
Aura

Creaking

Agggh...

There really is no Tekken God.

Back when I was first playing Tekken 6, I hoped that in the next game or two they'd come up with a system to let you wear headgear with customized hair. Little did I know that what I should have been hoping for is that they'd just make it back to Tekken 6's level of options.

Creaking

At least it's better then Tag2.

T6 though.

latest

Yeah. In spite of an imbalanced price-money earned ratio, and a sometimes clunky customization menu, Tekken 6 is still unmatched in quality customization.

Well... maybe there will be Tekken 7 Moe-Chan Rebellion with improved customization. Maybe.

The thing is, I thought the excuse for TTT2's customization was the need to bring all 4 characters onto screen at once and the big task of making customizations for almost 60 characters. Now they've reduced the roster count and the game is only 1 on 1. So what gives?

AAK

TTT2 also had the upper body and lower body accessories. Upper body was something on the back and the lower body was something the waist.

And those were unquestionably the worst things about TTT2 after the loading times.

GrayFoxPL

TTT2 also had the upper body and lower body accessories. Upper body was something on the back and the lower body was something the waist.

And those were unquestionably the worst things about TTT2 after the loading times.

Ah it's this crap again? Lame.

He's asking for you to go into more detail on what they're doing wrong.

Just throwing out launchers for shits and giggles for one. It might be a dick move but I don't want to break down a video of people playing poorly because I'm asked to. It's ugly play. It's not solid, there are poor fundamentals on display along with playing stupid.

Dereck

I don't see anything wrong with them playing poorly, it was just two casual matches. Are they supposed to be playing like they're in a tournament?

I don't see anything wrong with them playing poorly, it was just two casual matches. Are they supposed to be playing like they're in a tournament?

I mean I've watched like ONE Tekken 7 tournament and it was prerelease. The rest has all been casual and I've never seen people play like that. To be fair I'm just pissed that I wasted my time watching the video expecting something cool and instead I got PLing getting hit and throwing out d/f+21s and taunting and on top of that the other player doing nothing to stop him.

Sayah

The entire Tekken 7 Final Round stream, I was hoping to see some competitive play. All I got was people fooling around. So I didn't bother watching the Norcal stream for that reason.

Just wait till EVO if you want to see serious play.

The entire Tekken 7 Final Round stream, I was hoping to see some competitive play. All I got was people fooling around. So I didn't bother watching the Norcal stream for that reason.

I guess I'm spoiled by Kurokuro streams.

Dereck

I don't know why you were expecting that since a lot of the people at Final Round were first timers.

Sayah

But you missed Rip running off multiple 10+ game win streaks on unsuspecting opponents today!

Maybe I'll catch the archive then. Probably not, though, since Knee is providing quality competitive play already.

I don't know why you were expecting that since a lot of the people at Final Round were first timers.

There were over 180 people registered for TTT2. It's not like Namco changed the commands for every string of every character. Just watch some play from Asia and get to know your character's changes a bit better and you're pretty much set. But the way most people were playing it was ho-hum and without any effort. And there were also extended periods of time when no one was playing at all.

Dereck

Yeah, just stick to the Kurokuro play since they've had the game for weeks now.

If I got a chance to play Tekken 7 for the first time, I would probably dick around too and try to see what the moves are like personally.

Sayah

I personally have my doubts any gameplay we'll see from EVO outside the Japanese/Koreans being anywhere near competitive :p

I am actually wondering how many entrants Tekken 7 will even get. So many people will not feel primed or ready for this game and I'm wondering if that will impact their motivation to actually attend a Tekken 7 tournament.

Japanese/Koreans will already have had months of competitive play experience with them as is usual with the Tekken franchise. And it's part of the reason they're always beating us.

lupinko

I am actually wondering how many entrants Tekken 7 will even get. So many people will not feel primed or ready for this game and I'm wondering if that will impact their motivation to actually attend a Tekken 7 tournament.

Japanese/Koreans will already have had months of competitive play experience with them as is usual with the Tekken franchise. And it's part of the reason they're always beating us.

Tekken 7 has been out for less than a month and I'm already seeing people with 400+ wins locally. :S

Sayah

Tekken 7 has been out for less than a month and I'm already seeing people with 400+ wins locally. :S

I'm not surprised.

Also, wanted to ask you something. How popular is Tekken 7 at arcades really (in your local area)?

Are there specific "rush hour" times or is it busy throughout the day?

lupinko

I'm not surprised.

Also, wanted to ask you something. How popular is Tekken 7 at arcades really?

Are there specific "rush hour" times or is it busy throughout the day?

I'm not going to say Tekken isn't popular, mainly because online takes care of that. But if you gauge popularity by number of players on cabs, low compared to Gundam, old games, or anime.

Though higher than USF4. Looool
Street Fighter really is a console game now.

But yeah online helps tekken 7 a lot while hurting it at the same time.

So if strong players find each other online they'll keep rematching over and over.

Hurts it because of potential lag and kills the concept of local play.

I think Xrd should be better now since arcade has caught up to console. For the longest time Japan was on ps4 iirc. Sorry for the off topic Xrd talk.

Anyway I've gone on different times of the day on various days, and it's like that. Now Tekken is obviously doing well in general, but it's not like the old days where you have long lines to play.

Which is a good thing for me so I can continue to scrub it out haha.

Oh goody, I got the chance to do a written interview with Abel from Peru. It's going to be mostly about him and his Tekken background but I'll throw in some questions about the recent tournament and JDCR.

Anyone here got any questions they might want to ask the guy?

Sayah

I'm not going to say Tekken isn't popular, mainly because online takes care of that. But if you gauge popularity by number of players on cabs, low compared to Gundam, old games, or anime.

Though higher than USF4. Looool
Street Fighter really is a console game now.

But yeah online helps tekken 7 a lot while hurting it at the same time.

So if strong players find each other online they'll keep rematching over and over.

Hurts it because of potential lag and kills the concept of local play.

I think Xrd should be better now since arcade has caught up to console. For the longest time Japan was on ps4 iirc. Sorry for the off topic Xrd talk.

Anyway I've gone on different times of the day on various days, and it's like that. Now Tekken is obviously doing well in general, but it's not like the old days where you have long lines to play.

Which is a good thing for me so I can continue to scrub it out haha.
Thanks.

Namco has been closing some of their arcades so I was curious. I just wanted to get a general idea of the state of the arcade business for Tekken, which seems to be drying up with each new Tekken. They're trying to use "Lucky Chloe" to draw in casuals but it doesn't seem to have worked that well so far.

However, if you're seeing people with 400+ wins already, then some have already spent over $200 (on their wins alone not counting losses). So even if it's smaller chunk of people playing Tekken, it still seems to be big business with cabs costing $15,000 and with some people being super devoted and playing for hours on end.

Oh goody, I got the chance to do a written interview with Abel from Peru. It's going to be mostly about him and his Tekken background but I'll throw in some questions about the recent tournament and JDCR.

Yes.

Who is (are) the most popular character(s) in Peru offline and online?

In America, tournaments usually consist of Bob's offline. Online has too much great variety but Bob/Lili/Ling/Jun/Asuka are prominently seen.

lupinko

Actually I have yet to see Tekken less than ¥100 to play.

Not counting games I played prior to getting my banapassport or the treasure box bonuses, I have 88 games played on my card alone.

I'm not crazy into it but yeah I've spent a lot on it already.

Also include tekken net premium subscription fees and you can see how Bamco is making money.

DEATH™

Hows the overall tekken scene in peru?

Sayah

Actually I have yet to see Tekken less than ¥100 to play.

Not counting games I played prior to getting my banapassport or the treasure box bonuses, I have 88 games played on my card alone.

I'm not crazy into it but yeah I've spent a lot on it already.

Also include tekken net premium subscription fees and you can see how Bamco is making money.

Dayum. Yeah. it's easy to see how Namco makes money even with a shrinking audience.

Based on current exchange rates, you've already spent $73.92 (US Dollars) just from your 88 games. But I guess that's the arcade business for you. With that said, I am double minded on whether I want the arcade business to thrive in Asia or to just die out like it has in the rest of the world.

On the one hand, arcade version is good for spotting early glitches and imbalances (and Tekken 7 has many) and shapes a solid final release. On the other hand, online patching makes things easier now for the console environment. Tekken is also one of the only fighting games left still relying on arcades as a primary revenue source, which makes us in the rest of the world wait months before we can get our hands on the game.

lupinko

Well Bamco is still an amusement company and they need reason to go to their game centers, same logic applies to Sega.

They have a lot of competition not just from mobile but also pachinko and pachislot. Doesn't help that the government is trying to legalize gambling which is another can of worms if you know Japanese lifestyle and culture. Lol

sasuke_91

Watched a bit of the archive. Ice_Beam vs Asim was pretty cool, although I knew that Asim would win at the end.
There was a very good Steve/Hwoarang player. I liked his style a lot, but he fucked up Hwo's wall carry every time he tried.
Phantom vs Devil. What a match! Those last rounds were awesome. Everytime I thought one of them was done they managed to have a comeback. Everytime Phantom won with Raven he stood up and made some ninja signs. He is a weirdo^^
Haven't watched the finals, but those were way too predictable :p

And good games boutdown. I played with a different controller, so my movement was stiff. I almost managed to pull off a triple EWGF into Steve's ff+2 bound though. That would have been so cool xD

After receiving the Korean stick that I bought form Mad Catz when got on sale for 80 something dollars, I was surprised that the joystick itself wasn't as stiff as I thought. I'm overall a newbie when comes fighting sticks since I only owned 3 sticks in total including this first time purchase of a Korean one, so there was no way for me to know if the joystick itself is stiff as it should or even know how stiff it should be! I decided to roll with it for a while before I move to the other options that I can do.

First thing I've noticed is a squeaking sound whenever I push the stick into a certain direction. It wasn't annoying but it was worrisome for me as a first time owner if it was a sign of the joystick is failing or something since AFAIK Korean joysticks have a higher chance of breaking than the Japanese ones, googling that didn't show me that it is a sign though.

Then, and after using the stick for a reasonable time, I started noticing that whenever I return the stick to neutral the stick on occasion will input the opposite direction from what I was inputting. e.g. if I do a dash and return the stick to neutral, it will input an extra back command (ff,n,b) and vice versa (bb,n,f). This is where I decided to get a new joystick to replace the broken one.

When my replacement arrived and decided to open the stick I discovered that one of the screw nails was misshaped as if the one that was installing it used a bad drive screw it in with no easy way to get the screw out. So after 40 minutes of carefully getting the screw out with a clamp, I went to several hardware stores to try finding a similar sized screw so I can fit it back into the stick and I was surprised that I didn't find a similar screw! It's either too wide or too long compared with this one! One of the workers offered to use a pressure tool that have a chance to either fix the misshaped screw or break the nail all together, and gladly it worked fine for me

I'm not bothered with Mad Catz about receiving a broken stick, I import a lot of stuff and this is an occasional matter for me, but I'm EXTREMLY disappointed about having to go through all this trouble that wasted a lot of my time because someone didn't bother to use the proper tool and fucked up the screw, really unprofessional.

In the end, I went back and started testing the new joystick and was shocked of how stiff Korean joysticks are, you really need to pull those suckers hard to get an input in and I'm absolutely loving how the stick feels now. No controllers for me after this point and trying to get my movement as par as I used to do with a controller even though it feels like I went from square one million into square one,

summed up review of this arcade stick? Don't get it, it has noticeable delay compared to both the controller and the sticks I used. I still HIGHLY recommend trying Korean joysticks (and every other option available) if you're aiming to improve yourself.

Something unrelated to all that, but this is how I received my replacement joystick:

ne1KmGj.png

Yep, it's wrapped around a single paper of what appears to be the front page of the 5th of March edition of The Morning Call newspaper. I've read some of it, you Americans are even more shallow than us Saudis. :p

Manbig

Then, and after using the stick for a reasonable time, I started noticing that whenever I return the stick to neutral the stick on occasion will input the opposite direction from what I was inputting. e.g. if I do a dash and return the stick to neutral, it will input an extra back command (ff,n,b) and vice versa (bb,n,f). This is where I decided to get a new joystick to replace the broken one.

That's the issue that I have with the stick that I bought from Aris. It was like that pretty much right out of the box for me. Around the time that Tekken 7 rolls around, I'll probably upgrade to something like that one that JDCR uses. Hopefully by then, someone will have figured out something like a dual mod for both PS3 and PS4 use, or we can get confirmation that Namco will use the drivers that Cowboy from Naughty Dog helped the Skullgirls devs make.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Watched a bit of the archive. Ice_Beam vs Asim was pretty cool, although I knew that Asim would win at the end.
There was a very good Steve/Hwoarang player. I liked his style a lot, but he fucked up Hwo's wall carry every time he tried.
Phantom vs Devil. What a match! Those last rounds were awesome. Everytime I thought one of them was done they managed to have a comeback. Everytime Phantom won with Raven he stood up and made some ninja signs. He is a weirdo^^
Haven't watched the finals, but those were way too predictable :p

And good games boutdown. I played with a different controller, so my movement was stiff. I almost managed to pull off a triple EWGF into Steve's ff+2 bound though. That would have been so cool xD

Was the Steve/Hwaorang player named EX Soldier by any chance? Because he's pretty sick

I went 0-2 at hypespotting but had a really fun time considering how rusty I am, got me wanting to play more when I was seriously considering packing in Tekken until 7 drops.

Feng/Leo is so nice..

AAK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom