• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Did anyone point out that, since Devil Jin is in this game, that the theory of some characters having other characters moves does not mean that the character that the moves are borrowed from won't be in the game

Pachimari

So far my favorites of the new characters go like this:

01) Josie Rizal
02) Lucky Chloe
03) Katarina Alves
04) Claudio Serafino
05) Shaheen

Even though Shaheeh probably have the best design, his fighting style haven't caught me yet.

Did anyone point out that, since Devil Jin is in this game, that the theory of some characters having other characters moves does not mean that the character that the moves are borrowed from won't be in the game
Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the Tekken 7 data leak thread.

Dereck

I really have no idea with this game. The character reveals seems random, I almost want to say that the game will end up having too many characters in it, again.

Pachimari

I really have no idea with this game. The character reveals seems random, I almost want to say that the game will end up having too many characters in it, again.

But aren't we pretty sure it'll end up with maximum 38?

I made a list recently and ended up with 36, without any "major" characters being left out. I left out characters like Anna, Raven and such.

Sayah

Character ranking by costume design:

1. Shaheen (Great!)
2. Kazumi (Great!)
3. Katarina (Okay/don't need to see her thong, though/concept art better than 3D design)
4. Claudio (Final Fantasy + SoulCalibur?/tattoos?)
5. Josie (Meh)
6. Lucky Chloe (Ugly)
7. Devil Kazumi (Nope)

Character ranking by gameplay design:

1. Claudio (great animations/"exorcist" hit effects/blue flame/amazing rage art)
2. Lucky Chloe (rhythm-based attacks make her sound very unique and interesting)
3. Katarina (Dat knee/Dem kicks/Dat rage art)
4. Josie (agility/power-hitting kicks)
5. Devil Kazumi (pet tiger/some Jinpachi attributes)
6. Shaheen (lots of flipping going on/uninteresting)
7. Kazumi (looks boring but maybe because I've only seen the CPU play)

But aren't we pretty sure it'll end up with maximum 38?

I made a list recently and ended up with 36, without any "major" characters being left out. I left out characters like Anna, Raven and such.

:O

DEATH™

FTFY.

It better be the case. Seriously. If it wasn't, TTT2 solo >>>>> T7 easy. The sidestep and oki nerf will turn off some people. Compound that too with launching hellsweeps and you got a scenario close to T4.

Seriously. AAK's pessimism isn't totally out of place when I played the game and I already can garner the way the game should be played. T7 will be boring quick because of lack of exploration. Everything's straightforward and you felt like you know how to play the game right off the bat (It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's bad when it's also partnered with roster and system cuts, which makes the game feel bare-bones).

At least if there is a wide variety of characters that you can main, that would alleviate that. But currently, the lack of characters do affect the game. I've let it pass right now knowing that characters will be added later, but if the characters is even less than 45, the community better play T7 along with Tag 2 or else N.A. Tekken will totally fall off the map.
cause I know that the people who complain alot at Tag 2 will complain about the same things in T7, plus other things exclusively in T7.

Numb

Knee was right in saying this is basically burn knuckle. Even more so with the flames on.
Tekken-7-Gif-1.gif

My hype for the new guys goes

Shaheen
Josie
Claudio
Katarina
Lucky Cloe.

Manbig

DEATH™;159231841 said:
FTFY.

It better be the case. Seriously. If it wasn't, TTT2 solo >>>>> T7 easy. The sidestep and oki nerf will turn off some people. Compound that too with launching hellsweeps and you got a scenario close to T4.

[/SPOILER]

What are you talking about? Devil Jin's hellsweep launched in DR, did way more damage, and gave fantastic oki. People didn't quit the game over it. My only beef with the way that it is currently is that he can get EWGF after it. It should only be 1+4 pick up to reduce the juggle damage.

Also, people didn't quit Tekken 6 over the reduced movement. Some of you guys need to get out of that bubble. Way too often you assume that most people will see it through your eyes which only have vision for tournament play, while completely ignoring what your average person will even give a shit about. Even if you do want to only talk about the competitive aspect, as I said earlier, people were fine with changes like this in earlier games. You have SEVERELY overestimating how much of a shit people give about tweaks to oki and movement. If it still plays like Tekken, which it obviously does, it will still be played. This isn't a Tekken 4 situation where it might as well have been a different franchise.

DEATH™

What are you talking about? Devil Jin's hellsweep launched in DR, did way more damage, and gave fantastic oki. People didn't quit the game over it. My only beef with the way that it is currently is that he can get EWGF after it. It should only be 1+4 pick up to reduce the juggle damage.

The difference is people can "skate" in DR. The movement is soooo good. Right now aside from BDC (which is still a bit iffy due to backwalk making things iffy) movement is waaay too iffy. Backwalk right now feels too redundant considering all the added offensive tools for all characters. At least in DR you can reduce the chance of being hellsweeped by being in a specific range to keep the DJ player at least more honest.

EDIT: I'm not overestimating the "oki nerf" and "movement nerf" and such. What I'm saying is when you add all these things among others like massively fewer characters, not so different aesthetics, bugs and other things, that THE GAME FEELS BARE BONES. You don't need to become a tournament player to see that. This is why I kept emphasizing that the game will feel old really quick when all the shine wears off if it keeps this way.

That's why I do believe the huge character roster is important. No matter how the changes go system wise, as long as you got a lot of chars to main, alot of chars to fight and more to explore, you got a game that will be played for a while. Yes T6 got the movement nerf, but everyone's mains are still there...

Manbig

DEATH™;159237097 said:
The difference is people can "skate" in DR. The movement is soooo good. Right now aside from BDC (which is still a bit iffy due to backwalk making things iffy) movement is waaay too iffy. Backwalk right now feels too redundant considering all the added offensive tools for all characters. At least in DR you can reduce the chance of being hellsweeped by being in a specific range to keep the DJ player at least more honest.

EDIT: I'm not overestimating the "oki nerf" and "movement nerf" and such. What I'm saying is when you add all these things among others like massively fewer characters, not so different aesthetics, bugs and other things, that THE GAME FEELS BARE BONES. You don't need to become a tournament player to see that. This is why I kept emphasizing that the game will feel old really quick when all the shine wears off if it keeps this way.

That's why I do believe the huge character roster is important. No matter how the changes go system wise, as long as you got a lot of chars to main, alot of chars to fight and more to explore, you got a game that will be played for a while. Yes T6 got the movement nerf, but everyone's mains are still there...

Yes you are overestimating, because you are comparing it to Tekken 4, which means that you are saying that most people will drop the game very fast, which is nonsense.

Backwalking was in TR and it was fine. There's plenty of Korean footage to show that they are still able to use BDC perfectly fine in T7 also, even if it might create less distance overall.

We don't even know the full roster, or if the arcade version will get a DR/BR/U style expansion in the arcades yet, so trying to make this claim that people will drop, or get bored of this game quickly is hyperbole to a downright hilarious degree.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea about movement specifically in DR making hellsweep easier to deal with from. You dealt with it the same you did in every game up to now. The difference between then and now is that it hurt a lot more when it connected, and that is it.

DEATH™

Yes you are overestimating, because you are comparing it to Tekken 4, which means that you are saying that most people will drop the game very fast, which is nonsense.

Backwalking was in TR and it was fine. There's plenty of Korean footage to show that they are still able to use BDC perfectly fine in T7 also, even if it might create less distance overall.

We don't even know the full roster, or if the arcade version will get a DR/BR/U style expansion in the arcades yet, so trying to make this claim that people will drop, or get bored of this game quickly is hyperbole to a downright hilarious degree.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea about movement specifically in DR making hellsweep easier to deal with from. You dealt with it the same you did in every game up to now. The difference between then and now is that it hurt a lot more when it connected, and that is it.

Currently, yes it kinda feels like what T4 was "supposed" to be. The changes do affect the gameplay alot that it warrants a strong standing game, (which I admit I liked and many might like too).

Backwalk in TR? Yeah maybe but not in this game with the overall buff in the standing game. You need to rely on BDC alot more.

And yes, it does going to feel boring IF the game does have the short roster like people have said, which is my point. If the roster is at least T6 size then we have no issues.

The movement in DR allows hellsweep juggling and doing oki after it since there is few "engagements" per se and most of the time, there is alot of "footsies" involved before that. People forget that. Of course you are still gonna deal with it, but other characters also have the same ridiculous moves in DR.

Manbig

DEATH™;159241327 said:
Currently, yes it kinda feels like what T4 was "supposed" to be. The changes do affect the gameplay alot that it warrants a strong standing game, (which I admit I liked and many might like too).

Backwalk in TR? Yeah maybe but not in this game with the overall buff in the standing game. You need to rely on BDC alot more.

And yes, it does going to feel boring IF the game does have the short roster like people have said, which is my point. If the roster is at least T6 size then we have no issues.

The movement in DR allows hellsweep juggling and doing oki after it since there is few "engagements" per se and most of the time, there is alot of "footsies" involved before that. People forget that. Of course you are still gonna deal with it, but other characters also have the same ridiculous moves in DR.

Nobody in DR had a move like Devil Jin's Hellsweep. Low pokes were far more dangerous in DR, because low parry lead to full juggle damage. You are severely overrating how the movement was in DR. It's not as different to Tag 2 as you are making it sound.

It's like I said earlier, you are painting your point of view, and assuming that most competitive players will just agree with you, when the final product is absolutely nowhere close to even being out yet.

Gambit61

True that.

Oh wow. Nice!

I want to use Claudio. Particularly, because his attacks are very hard hitting and it sounds cool when he says "ose" and pulls out the blue flame. The way the opponent animates (full body twirl) after this attack looks SO SICK.

Tekken-7-Gif-1.gif

That animation reminds me of Iori's Maiden Masher but in reverse.

Deps

FUCK large rosters. No competitive game should have a roster bigger than 30, especially a game like Tekken where the only reason for a large roster is aesthetics.

If the roster stays relatively small, T7 is gonna be sick, if the roster gets anywhere near TTT2 size, I'm gonna be stuck in training mode for a year instead of traveling to tournaments and having fun.

lupinko

FUCK large rosters. No competitive game should have a roster bigger than 30, especially a game like Tekken where the only reason for a large roster is aesthetics.

If the roster stays relatively small, T7 is gonna be sick, if the roster gets anywhere near TTT2 size, I'm gonna be stuck in training mode for a year instead of traveling to tournaments and having fun.

Nah fighting games need baller rosters, I'm old fashioned so there.

USF4 disappointed because they teased going all the way and didn't go all the way.

Also Tag games for TEKKEN are special hence the need for giant rosters. The tag system calls for it really.

Lev

I don't really see how having more characters in T7 would be detrimental to learning the game. They've done many things to make the game easier to learn by: reducing the amount of moves per character, simplifying the combo system, nerfing the wall game, okizeme and movement. T7 looks like the most newbie friendly game in the series, second to Tekken Revolution.

TTT2's roster made the game unbearable. People just want a main they can play which is hopefully alleviated by the time the game comes out for everyone.

Most people's complaints about TTT2 were about the tag system anyways. Oki and the amount of knowledge needed are general Tekken complaints.

They haven't reduced the amount of character moves though....

Lev

TTT2's roster made the game unbearable. People just want a main they can play which is hopefully alleviated by the time the game comes out for everyone.

Most people's complaints about TTT2 were about the tag system anyways. Oki and the amount of knowledge needed are general Tekken complaints.

They haven't reduced the amount of character moves though....

TTT2's roster seemed fine to me, when you realize that there are a quite a few clone characters. One thing that made MvC2 so much more fun than MvC1 (when the game first launched) was the fact that there were a lot more characters. If TTT2 had only 20 characters, I seriously doubt the game would be very fun. You need more characters for a team-based game.

Honestly, I found okizeme fine in Tekken except near walls. There isn't another 3D game with the same type of mindgames you can perform while your character is on the ground. I like that uniquely about Tekken. All they did now with T7 was balance it, so you don't have to worry about losing half your health when getting caught with a mid while teching near a wall.

It seemed like they did to me, but I guess it is only the case for the newer characters. That doesn't matter much anyway, since you're not going to use all of your character's 100+ moves. You can get off knowing way less about a character's moveset when you are fighting against them. As long as you know how their mixup and strong moves work, then you can get really far in the game without knowing a whole lot.

I'm really tired of this trend of dumbing games down to attract more players. It doesn't work.

Deps

I don't really see how having more characters in T7 would be detrimental to learning the game. They've done many things to make the game easier to learn by: reducing the amount of moves per character, simplifying the combo system, nerfing the wall game, okizeme and movement. T7 looks like the most newbie friendly game in the series, second to Tekken Revolution.

It's pretty simple. Every character they add, is an extra week or two that I have to spend in training mode. If I don't know a matchup in Tekken, it doesn't matter how good I am at throw breaking/kbd/whatever, I'm gonna lose. At the same time, after 30 or so characters, a new character isn't adding shit to the gameplay unless they have some new mechanic. While I dislike large rosters, at least they make sense in most 2D games, as each character brings a new archetype or gameplay style to the game. Even then, SF4 overdid it, there's no reason there should be 5(or whatever it is now) shotos.

As for the "simplifying" they supposedly did...

Characters still have the same number of moves
Combos didn't really change in difficulty, combos in TTT2 are already braindead easy (obvious exceptions being Nina/Mishimas/Lee)
Wall game is less random with no tag, but aside from that it's the same. Don't really understand what nerfing the wall game even means, if anything being at the wall is even scarier, as you don't have wall tag to escape.
Oki changed and will probably be easier, but jury is still out.
Movement is the same, you still have to learn KBD and them nerfing ss/sw(forgot which) only changes the situations that they are used in

Sayah

I personally prefer larger rosters (to a maximum of 60 characters and nothing over that).

It's already VERY hard for me to find characters I like to main in most fighters and there's only a few playstyles I feel happy using. I'm very picky so the larger the roster, the higher the chances I'll find someone I really like.

I don't mind using a multitude of characters but my main has to be that one special character I love using more than anyone. Like if Tekken didn't have the Williams, I would be stuck. I'm hoping to change to a new character or Hwoarang for Tekken 7, though. Hopefully, someone other than Williams can provide the same level of fun and enthusiasm.
Yay, fixed Tekken. Somehow the PS3 slipped into NAT 3. I can find games again now lol.

Well, there you go.

I assume you mean can't, since NAT 3 isn't good. Use PPPoE or DMZ to fix that.

He was having issues earlier finding games after waiting for over 15 minuets and he's figured out it was NAT 3 causing it after all.

I had to deal with NAT 3 for some time. It was not fun.

Sayah

Wall game is less random with no tag, but aside from that it's the same. Don't really understand what nerfing the wall game even means, if anything being at the wall is even scarier, as you don't have wall tag to escape.

You can't bound at walls anymore and the new wakeup options seem to make it easier to avoid getting wall splatted over and over again.

Pachimari

Wakeup, getup and okizeme is referring to the same mechanism when you are lying on the ground and is about to get up, is that correct?

I'd argue that T7 isn't dumb downed as much as it just changed the mechanics on certain things that weren't really pivotal or they though shouldn't be pivotal

The game is pretty much a different version of T6 that leans heavily towards DR.

@Madridsta Oki, Wakeup, Get up is just a state of mind games where whoever is on the ground must find a specific get up to take the minimal amount of disadvantage/risk/damage from the standing opponent.

Numb

Starting to see alot of white colored costumes in the recent Tekken 7 vids. Not a surprise since it actually looks amazing for some reason.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I want to use Claudio. Particularly, because his attacks are very hard hitting and it sounds cool when he says "ose" and pulls out the blue flame. The way the opponent animates (full body twirl) after this attack looks SO SICK.

Tekken-7-Gif-1.gif

Same, someone on Namco staff must love Jojos, Claudio poses like he's doing a shoot for Vogue.

CSX

omg devil jin gets a free 112 after df12 if you do the new cancel. Sorry Kazuya , you just got dethroned off the S+ tier list

Pachimari

TV's usually have greater than normal input lag. Go for a monitor with the minimum amount. Consult this link for the best ones:

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Ey, I must have missed this one. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. So a monitor is better than a TV. The ms has to be as low as possible right?

But aren't the colors popping more on LED/LCD than than IPS LED? Or does IPS mean, that the viewing angles are wider?

Totally preparing my Tekken training center at home.

[edit]

People are now buying the Tekken 7 arcade machines themselves, and playing at home:

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Yo DJ got released! I see that HS has become... quite powerful...
EDIT: Here's another one with Heihachi looking slick.

And the full breakdown ala Jin video that was done by the same lad.

omg devil jin gets a free 112 after df12 if you do the new cancel. Sorry Kazuya , you just got dethroned off the S+ tier list
What do you mean by new cancel?

d/f+12 is not a NC though. Never has been. Not really worried. It just means that if you get CH you get 112 for free. Good but not crazy good.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
People always trippin.

Ugh. Just recovered from my death bed. How are things?

Death: f+2,1 is guaranteed after CH f,f,N+1+2 btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom