• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Was supposed to sleep hours ago but couldn't. Then I was cleaning my apartment for the last 90 minutes while having Setnomessej's stream on the background:

http://www.twitch.tv/setnomessej

And midway through Setno calls up SpeedKicks asking for help to improve his game. And then SK then spends the next 40+ minutes trying to teach Setnomessej how to problem solve in life in general.

After a while Setno gets this whole epiphany about how he's been living life on autopilot.

Pretty deep stuff.

Was supposed to sleep hours ago but couldn't. Then I was cleaning my apartment for the last 90 minutes while having Setnomessej's stream on the background:

And midway through Setno calls up SpeedKicks asking for help to improve his game. And then SK then spends the next 40+ minutes trying to teach Setnomessej how to problem solve in life in general.

After a while Setno gets this whole epiphany about how he's been living life on autopilot.

Pretty deep stuff.
Thanks for the heads up. Too bad Twitch ruined more than half of it because of copyrighted music. SpeedKicks has gone over much of it before, but it is finally starting to sink in to me to see it again and digest a little more of it.

Pretty deep stuff.

I rolled my eyes so hard at this part that they nearly popped out. An 18 year old kid giving a 20-something year old kid life coach lessons? That's rich!

And it just furthers the image of SK being really full of himself. Too many people have propped him up as some godly prodigy that it has stuck in the poor kid's head, I think. SMH. And I'm sorry, but Jesse sometimes comes off as pretty impressed with himself too. The whole fake humility thing only works so much. I guess the social media craze can be blamed to some extent -- when every nobody thinks they're the next big hit star, it changes them. :/

Pachimari

Made an avatar of Devil Jin for anyone who wants it:

nnzgNpz.png

I think its ignorant not to think Wisdom can come from someone younger than you. Speedkicks isn't always right and he has an ego (being a child genius does that y'know) doesn't mean he can't give out legit advice from things he's learned or came up with on his own. That's being unfair. You gotta learn how to take advice from everyone not just those you like but those you don't care for. Take the good remove the bad.

Dereck

Don't know if you're talking to me but his age is irrelevant to what I was saying. I have zero opinions on his advice, I just had some thoughts on the way he carries himself in streams.

Don't know if you're talking to me but his age is irrelevant to what I was saying. I have zero opinions on his advice, I just had some thoughts on the way he carries himself in streams.

I was speaking in general but I mean you obviously have some opinion on what he has to say or will say since now you're being completely dismissive of anything he has to say.

AAK

The purpose of me posting that was mostly to outline how SK went about improving his game style.

The thing I liked about the conversation between Jesse and SK was how SK was trying to force Jesse to come up with his own solutions And have a foundation for applying that same level of critical thinking the next time Jesse feels he reached a plateau in skills. Instead of simply feeding information, he was trying to teach Jesse how to help himself. That really is something rare to see.

The other interesting thing that happened was how much Jesse struggled to apply himself. He was just shook at how it was Tekken that made him star to actively work hard at while everything else in his life was autopiloted all the way through.

I was only able to watch the archive which was hit hard by Twitch mute, but still got some pretty good notes. I recognize that I am stuck at mid level, so I am willing to listen to any advice. Argue what Speed actually said rather his age or pride.

You play in a manner that has favorable odds for success while learning your opponent's thought process. Then as you get more comfortable against them, your decision making becomes about countering what you know your opponent will do. As opposed to what has the best odds of working.

Now the important thing to remember when analyzing your replay is that you as a player aren't your gameplay. Trying to use brute force to improve your gameplay won't help. It's about improving your thought process. Your thoughts are the source of your actions in a game. If you want to do better stuff in a game you have to improve the way you think. So ask yourself, what were you thinking when you were doing those attacks?

(Pixel Notes) Speed had Jesse watch a replay and asked him about his thoughts. Then Speedkicks jotted down all the things he did. Getting insight into the actions which lead to the thought process. Then had him watch the replay again and pause the video each time he got hit and explain why he got hit. Jesse came to the realization that he really did not know why he did things. Being stuck in auto-pilot while playing to such a great degree that one could call it a split personality.(Pixel notes)

The SpeedKick's Learning Process
First, I need an idea of what I want to do. The destination, being a good player. Define what that is to you. Second, figure out the steps to get there. Third, do them.

Define, Develop, Do.

CSX

Saw that Heihachi punching ground move works even at a very far distance. Useless at such a distance but still pretty cool :p

Numb

Slowmo is much more hype than i anticipated.
I wonder if there will be moves people use designed to take advange of it at the end of the round.

Manbig

The purpose of me posting that was mostly to outline how SK went about improving his game style.

The thing I liked about the conversation between Jesse and SK was how SK was trying to force Jesse to come up with his own solutions And have a foundation for applying that same level of critical thinking the next time Jesse feels he reached a plateau in skills. Instead of simply feeding information, he was trying to teach Jesse how to help himself. That really is something rare to see.

The other interesting thing that happened was how much Jesse struggled to apply himself. He was just shook at how it was Tekken that made him star to actively work hard at while everything else in his life was autopiloted all the way through.

Well said.

sasuke_91

That's some pretty interesting points he has. I might have to watch the stream's archive later.

Good games Doomshine. You have a new team everytime I play against you :p
Some of those matches were really great. I still have no idea how you managed to enter my mind in some situations. Anytime I wanted to begin the round with a low you would hopkick me, but you didn't begin with a hopkick in any other situation. The mindgames you played on me were hilariously simple sometimes. So cool :D

Doomshine

That's some pretty interesting points he has. I might have to watch the stream's archive later.

Good games Doomshine. You have a new team everytime I play against you :p
Some of those matches were really great. I still have no idea how you managed to enter my mind in some situations. Anytime I wanted to begin the round with a low you would hopkick me, but you didn't begin with a hopkick in any other situation. The mindgames you played on me were hilariously simple sometimes. So cool :D

Good games. I just started playing that team earlier in the week so it was just a coincidence that I had a new one. With no Tekken 7 to play I like to try out new characters to keep myself interested.

sasuke_91

Good games. I just started playing that team earlier in the week so it was just a coincidence that I had a new one. With no Tekken 7 to play I like to try out new characters to keep myself interested.

After playing this game for a bit over a year I feel like I still know nothing yet everybody seems like they're already sick of TTT2 :/
I really should have started playing this game earlier... I wonder why Tekken died so fast in Germany. DamagermanY in Frankfurt used to be so big.

This is great :D
Who's Luffy supposed to be? Jack-6 fits Franky so well^^

How bad are invincible moves on block in TR? I always thought they were -15, but I manage to launch everyone with Hwo's b3 which is 17 frames.

Manbig

How bad are invincible moves on block in TR? I always thought they were -15, but I manage to launch everyone with Hwo's b3 which is 17 frames.

I know that they are at least -20, but are probably a lot worse. You should pretty much always go for your most damaging launcher when you block them.

AAK

Yeah, Manny is right they are at least -20. I can punish invincibles with JFSR. A frame perfect version of it is 19 frames.... and I know I can't do a frame perfect JFSR. I'd be leaning more towards -22 to -25

God, Namco's Tekken Marketing Team sucks. We all agree on this right? I feel like this is like a universal thing. I feel like they really need to make a change to Tekken 7's marketing ASAP or else Tekken 7 is going to sell the same amount of copies as Tag 2, not enough.

Numb

God, Namco's Tekken Marketing Team sucks. We all agree on this right? I feel like this is like a universal thing. I feel like they really need to make a change to Tekken 7's marketing ASAP or else Tekken 7 is going to sell the same amount of copies as Tag 2, not enough.

It would be a miracle if it gets any good to be honest.

Like honestly the biggest thing is that they do not understand how to inject personality into their game and make their character's look cool.

Think about this. How many fighting games have unique character vs character intro? LOTS. Tekken hasn't had that shit EVER. Like why the fuck aren't Kazuya and Heihachi talking shit to each other before and after every match?

As people have said about the Rage Arts, too many of them lack personality, they just strings of moves we've already seen before. Like who has sick Rage Arts? King, Claudio, Paul, Kazuya, Lucky Chloe, Steve? 6 characters out of 24 have cool looking unique rage arts? That's a problem.

This again also goes back to the discussion of no two player outfits and the lack of new outfits in general. It makes way too much of cast look old there by making the general consumer feel like it's the same product.

This is the kind of small shit the Tekken team keeps overlooking that is why they are losing sales come console time.

Sayah

I think it's pretty clear to all of us that Tekken 7 is incomplete and rushed. Not just because the characters aren't done yet but also because there's even more graphical updates coming. That could partly be the reason they're not marketing it that heavily. Also, because the game is very limited to Japan and S. Korea at the moment.

With that said, their current ideology is outdated and doesn't make sense in the 21st century. People start marketing their games not just months but years before actual release date. Just because Tekken 7 is limited to Japan doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't going to know about it or that avid fans aren't going to stay updated with every piece of news event on the game. And ho-hum marketing isn't going to exactly work in Namco's favor at the end of the day either.

I don't know how Japan (in general) reacted to three separate lucky chloe commercials and TTT2 custom recycling but a typical North American fan probably won't be happy seeing that. Of course, I'm aware these two countries' populations don't a hive mindset or anything but just saying.

Bringing the game to Norcal and Final Round is probably the only good marketing they've done and even that's made possible thanks to MarkMan or it wouldn't be happening. The initial EVO reveal was also a mess. They showed it right before/after? SFIV finals and created this whole story behind there being a leak when everyone was expecting TKXSF.

And then the whole "just because it's on the arcade cab data doesn't mean it's in the game" story. And then they go on to officially reveal all of the leaked characters. It's like there is no consistency.

sasuke_91

I know that they are at least -20, but are probably a lot worse. You should pretty much always go for your most damaging launcher when you block them.

That's pretty bad. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, Manny is right they are at least -20. I can punish invincibles with JFSR. A frame perfect version of it is 19 frames.... and I know I can't do a frame perfect JFSR. I'd be leaning more towards -22 to -25

I think a frame perfect JFSR is 18 frames, not 19. Have to check though.
A frame perfect JFSR is also very hard for me, but I'm able to punish Asuka's f2 with a JSFR pretty often.

And then the whole "just because it's on the arcade cab data doesn't mean it's in the game" story. And then they go on to officially reveal all of the leaked characters. It's like there is no consistency.

We still haven't seen the red Bane character again, have we?
That could have been what he was alluding to.

Sayah

Tekken's facial design is 20 steps ahead of MKX.

Outside of Kazumi, Katarina, and Asuka, I am a fan of how they've done the "facial" designs. Hair textures, on the other hand, not very much.

Facial designs that look incomplete and hopefully get fixed by final release.

tekken7-kazumi-offscreen-2.jpg

tekken7-alt-costumes-screenshot5.jpg

Facial designs that look really great

1412410640760_by_dragonwarrior_ht-d81izoc.png

CCHoMbAVEAAN8ug.jpg:large

tekken_7_xiaoyu_ling_new_outfit___win_pose_by_lucakun-d8698wf.jpg

Tekken_7_-_Hwoarang.jpeg

CCE9QpeUEAEnSuG.png

But as I said, the recycling of old customs and the hair textures are kind of ruining the visual appeal. I hope these issues get resolved over time since there's still more graphical updates coming our way.

Case in point.

CB2qzfyVIAAYU4F.jpg:large

lupinko

I got Kat's bnb down now, well it's not hard but I never tried to figure it out. I found out you don't need to have a subscription billed to a CC or your phone bill for tekken net. You can actually just prepay, which I'll be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom