• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

Any EU players feel free to add me. When I can play is sometimes a little finicky, but if you see me online just ask.

PSN: Doomshine

lupinko

I'm going to take a break until payday because I'm cracking out already.

Also, I don't know why I'm not given colour options for this.

5kqkkAE.jpg

I guess I can practice Lars on Revo at home on my self imposed rest from Tekken 7.

After watching Josie move list breakdown I feel like she is not a very good character. It's like they gave her all of Bruces moves....except you know the really good ones that make him a strong character. On top of that she has slight variations on old Bruce moves that are just worse. She has all of Bruce's weaknesses but like none of his strengths.

AAK

Brosie's d+4 is only -11. Dunno if they changed it but that's a pretty huge buff over TTT2's launch punish.

I welcome the death of b+2. Just like Lars's d/f+2 and Jinpachi's d/f+1+2, Tekken could use less braindead moves.

Brosie's d+4 is only -11. Dunno if they changed it but that's a pretty huge buff over TTT2's launch punish.

I welcome the death of b+2. Just like Lars's d/f+2 and Jinpachi's d/f+1+2, Tekken could use less braindead moves.

It does way less damage and has way less range though. Bruce's d+4 was great because it had great reach, good damage, and was impossible to react to. It helped control the match at range two and three along with b+2. Now essentially all Josie has is a generic d+4 that's worse because it doesn't high crush like generic d+4s do.

Where is her range 2+ game? Heck where is her any range game? None of her tools make sense. Her range 2 game is just supposed to be CD mix ups? That's like the lowest level of Bruce play that always gets bopped. What's the point?

I have no idea why you are comparing Bruce's b+2 and Lar's d/f+2 to Jinpachi's d/f+1+2 also. That's not even remotely comparable. Lars d/f+2 was a pretty mediocre move too outside of combo fillers. Bruce's game revolves around b+2. They design the character that way since DR because Bruce was without it, literally the worst character in Tekken 5. In DR he was still bad but they built around b+2 in Tekken 6 and gave him some other stuff created a fucking amazing character.

I wont say we are back to Tekken 5 with Josie but like her character design makes no sense to me. At what range does she want to be at? What's her gameplan? She doesn't have one with this move set. Do they just want people to use MTS mix ups?

I don't get this character and I defiantly don't see this character being good unless they make some changes to her.

AAK

That's the thing, in Tekken having characters designed around one move is not what I consider good design. It's OK in 2D games but not cool in 3D. You spend all this time animating 100's moves, try and give uses for them, or at least introduce core game design mechanics that would promote extensive use of all the different things in the character movelist. As for how should she play? That's for us to discover, and that's what I want from T7. I want every character to get drastic changes that force us to strategize and think of new ways to utilize the new tools given rather than just keep playing the same game from TTT2 solo.

And that's the first I'm hearing about TTT2 Bruce d+4 high crushing. As for range, Brosie is taller than Bruce so I think the range is still the same, but I can't tell unless I see it actively being tested.

Although one thing I'm not liking so far about Brosie, her new orbital heel crushes mids. That kind of property really aggravates me.

That's the thing, in Tekken having characters designed around one move is not what I consider good design. It's OK in 2D games but not cool in 3D. You spend all this time animating 100's moves, try and give uses for them, or at least introduce core game design mechanics that would promote extensive use of all the different things in the character movelist. As for how should she play? That's for us to discover, and that's what I want from T7. I want every character to get drastic changes that force us to strategize and think of new ways to utilize the new tools given rather than just keep playing the same game from TTT2 solo.

And that's the first I'm hearing about TTT2 Bruce d+4 high crushing. As for range, Brosie is taller than Bruce so I think the range is still the same, but I can't tell unless I see it actively being tested.

Although one thing I'm not liking so far about Brosie, her new orbital heel crushes mids. That kind of property really aggravates me.

Reference to d+4 is to generic d+4's crushing high.

All Tekken characters are designed around game plans whether you realize it or not. Bruce was designed to played from Range 2. When he gets it he's only in for a bit and then he's back out. He's never been a range 0 or 1 character. Heck the fact that he doesn't have a generic d/f+1 should be proof enough for that.

I don't see your argument here. Josie IS BRUCE. We know exactly what she is capable of, except she lacks the key Bruce moves that tie the package together. She, just like Bruce, doesn't have a good range 1 or 0 game. So she should be played from range 2 but she doesn't have a b+2 like mid or a good mid in general from range 2 to help her fight from that range.

It's like making a clone of Kazuya but not giving him any WGF. What's the point? The character is DESIGNED to have a WGF. That's the glue that holds the character design together. Remove it and you just have a blah character that lacks the tools to play it's gameplan correctly.

AAK

I would agree with you if she actually was simply Bruce but that's where I disagree with you. While it's obvious Bruce is gone, Josie was definitely given distinct moves that gives can potentially give rise to a new play style. An example is clearly her new orbital heel. That's one of the strongest techniques of Bryan and she just got it with what looks like even better crush properties. There were other brand new moves she got in that GAO movelist video that can give potential to a new playstyle.

It's not blatantly obvious like characters such as Dragunov, Feng, Leo, Bryan, Jin, and pretty much the entirety of everyone else in T7 who were pretty much given 0 new tools and had none of their previous tools taken away from them to see that they will play identical to TTT2.

EDIT: I should say the exception is Hwoarang. Him getting Baek's d/f+3 and f+3 from left flamingo replacing the old moves can be considered a brand new tool. But I still expect more for a numbered sequel.

I would agree with you if she actually was simply Bruce but that's where I disagree with you. While it's obvious Bruce is gone, Josie was definitely given distinct moves that gives can potentially give rise to a new play style. An example is clearly her new orbital heel. That's one of the strongest techniques of Bryan and she just got it with what looks like even better crush properties. There were other brand new moves she got in that GAO movelist video that can give potential to a new playstyle.

It's not blatantly obvious like characters such as Dragunov, Feng, Leo, Bryan, Jin, and pretty much the entirety of everyone else in T7 who were pretty much given 0 new tools and had none of their previous tools taken away from them to see that they will play identical to TTT2.

EDIT: I should say the exception is Hwoarang. Him getting Baek's d/f+3 and f+3 from left flamingo replacing the old moves can be considered a brand new tool. But I still expect more for a numbered sequel.

We will agree to disagree. None of her new moves seem very useful at all outside of her version of f+1+2. That orbital heel looks like crap to me. Orbitals are purely defensive moves. Lars' was never that good and Bryan's is good because of the really quick recovery on wiff. It means she has slightly better defensive options than Bruce. But then again Bruce's u/f+3 had one of the if not the fastest active low crush frames in the game. That was a strong tool defensively.

I don't even know honestly where people go the idea that Orbitals are some amazing moves. That's like a west coast thing. They used to try and say Orbital crushed jabs and dumb stuff. It's just a slow low crushing launcher, purely designed for hard reads on lows and they don't track. A hopkick is way better than an Orbital.

HeelPower

I'm going to take a break until payday because I'm cracking out already.

Also, I don't know why I'm not given colour options for this.

5kqkkAE.jpg

I guess I can practice Lars on Revo at home on my self imposed rest from Tekken 7.

Ouch..The custom hair textures look really bad.

I am sure it looks better ingame but...here its not so good.

Manbig

We will agree to disagree. None of her new moves seem very useful at all outside of her version of f+1+2. That orbital heel looks like crap to me. Orbitals are purely defensive moves. Lars' was never that good and Bryan's is good because of the really quick recovery on wiff. It means she has slightly better defensive options than Bruce. But then again Bruce's u/f+3 had one of the if not the fastest active low crush frames in the game. That was a strong tool defensively.

I don't even know honestly where people go the idea that Orbitals are some amazing moves. That's like a west coast thing. They used to try and say Orbital crushed jabs and dumb stuff. It's just a slow low crushing launcher, purely designed for hard reads on lows and they don't track. A hopkick is way better than an Orbital.

They don't say that Orbitals crush jabs, they say that Orbitals clip limbs, including jabs sometimes. While Lars' Orbital sucks on whiff, that's not really how they use the move. As you yourself stated, they use it as a defensive panic button that makes him lean back to dodge attacks at a slight range. Because of the evasive properties of the move, the guessing game becomes a complete coin toss. The only thing that doesn't make it completely unbearable is that Lars overall is really shitty vs Step/Walk right (or his left). If Lars had a much more painful tool for that, then his Orbital would be way over the top. Even then though, his hurtbox on the start up of that move is still bullshit.

EDIT: I agree with your stance on characters being designed around a few key moves. If Marduk didn't have his tracking low pokes, he would easily be one of the worst, if not THE worst character in the game.

CSX

I bet some of yall already predicted this but I have a sneaking suspicion that all upcoming new characters (not counting returning characters) are just gonna have recycled moves from characters that fail to make the roster :p

Also Devil Jin can get a full combo on ch b4 even if you mess up on the ewgf afterwards. df2 still allows you to connect and continue the juggle.

But the payback is that ws2 is now a crapload harder to juggle with T_T. It's automatically a screw animation when it hits so the big damage juggle is gonna be tough to do

They don't say that Orbitals crush jabs, they say that Orbitals clip limbs, including jabs sometimes. While Lars' Orbital sucks on whiff, that's not really how they use the move. As you yourself stated, they use it as a defensive panic button that makes him lean back to dodge attacks at a slight range. Because of the evasive properties of the move, the guessing game becomes a complete coin toss. The only thing that doesn't make it completely unbearable is that Lars overall is really shitty vs Step/Walk right (or his left). If Lars had a much more painful tool for that, then his Orbital would be way over the top. Even then though, his hurtbox on the start up of that move is still bullshit.

EDIT: I agree with your stance on characters being designed around a few key moves. If Marduk didn't have his tracking low pokes, he would easily be one of the worst, if not THE worst character in the game.

No, MYK and other people from Socal would literally say the move crushed jabs on TZ. I said that's stupid and pretty much said what you said that it's just clipping wiffed limbs, they were admit about the crushing.

As a Lars'...main? That sounds so weird but I guess I am. As a Lars main, I can tell you u/f+4 it's really not that great of a move. I use it more than any other Lars' player I've ever seen so I should know. It has the exact same crush frames as a normal hopkick aka it needs 9 frames for the crush window to start and it's slow as hell and will literally lose to anything that's not a low. Which is why I'm confused why you say the move has a bullshit hurt box. The only thing that makes the move good is the damage off of it.

You can get pissed off if you get hit by it but in the end the reason is because you got read. I only throw out u/f+4 when I really think a low is coming. Like there are so many real bullshit moves in the game like Bobs bf+1 or Jinpachi's d/f+1+2, that complaining about orbitals is just silly in my eyes. It's like when people complain about hopkicks. If you don't want your lows hopkicked do hopkick safe low set ups.

Manbig

No, MYK and other people from Socal would literally say the move crushed jabs on TZ. I said that's stupid and pretty much said what you said that it's just clipping wiffed limbs, they were admit about the crushing.

As a Lars'...main? That sounds so weird but I guess I am. As a Lars main, I can tell you u/f+4 it's really not that great of a move. I use it more than any other Lars' player I've ever seen so I should know. It has the exact same crush frames as a normal hopkick aka it needs 9 frames for the crush window to start and it's slow as hell and will literally lose to anything that's not a low. Which is why I'm confused why you say the move has a bullshit hurt box. The only thing that makes the move good is the damage off of it.

You can get pissed off if you get hit by it but in the end the reason is because you got read. I only throw out u/f+4 when I really think a low is coming. Like there are so many real bullshit moves in the game like Bobs bf+1 or Jinpachi's d/f+1+2, that complaining about orbitals is just silly in my eyes. It's like when people complain about hopkicks. If you don't want your lows hopkicked do hopkick safe low set ups.

I'm not talking about the low crush. I'm talking about him leaning back during the start up frames, so he becomes very evasive at even a slight range. A lot of highs, and even a few mids whiff him during this. This is not a very rare occurrence either. You have to respect that move at around range 1 and have to be incredibly careful when you press any buttons. Being a Marduk player, I feel it extra hard because he has very high hitboxes in general. There have been times where Lars would avoid shit even if his back was too the wall. It is very obnoxious to deal with.

I'm not talking about the low crush. I'm talking about him leaning back during the start up frames, so he becomes very evasive at even a slight range. A lot of highs, and even a few mids whiff him during this. This is not a very rare occurrence either. You have to respect that move at around range 1 and have to be incredibly careful when you press any buttons. Being a Marduk player, I feel it extra hard because he has very high hitboxes in general. There have been times where Lars would avoid shit even if his back was too the wall. It is very obnoxious to deal with.

Are you sure you're not mistaking u/f+3 for u/f+4 cause u/f+4 in no way crushes anything that's not lows. I've never had it beat anything that wasn't a low once. Only thing I can think of you might be talking about is using the old quick duck tactic to duck under a high making it seem like a move crushes jabs or highs when it doesn't. Provide me a scenario in training mode where where u/f+4 crushes a mid and a high. I'll test it myself to confirm.

Manbig

Are you sure you're not mistaking u/f+3 for u/f+4 cause u/f+4 in no way crushes anything that's not lows. I've never had it beat anything that wasn't a low once. Only thing I can think of you might be talking about is using the old quick duck tactic to duck under a high making it seem like a move crushes jabs or highs when it doesn't. Provide me a scenario in training mode where where u/f+4 crushes a mid and a high. I'll test it myself to confirm.

It's not a crush. He leans back before doing the move, which creates more space.

HeelPower

Lars uf+4 is one of the best fucking moves in the entire TTT2.There's like no question about this.
Its even more useful in the Tag system because its fairly easy and safe to punish Raw Tag with it AND its a full Tag launcher.

And its not a socal thing...Only Practice abuses the shit out of that move.Even uses at as CH move when someone tries to close in or as a mixup with db+4.
The evasive properties at the start of the move are real.He avoids a lot of Jabs especially.

Why would you even whiff this move at all ? You must be spamming mindlessly.It has more than enough range to never whiff.

Manbig

That move is not a mix up with d/b4. Both moves are too slow for that.

It whiffs when the opponent sidesteps to their right (Lars' left).

HeelPower

That move is not a mix up with d/b4. Both moves are too slow for that.

Naah, depending on the player ,it absolutely works.

db+4 has enough range and tracking to justify that usage(occasionally)

People get desperate to block db+4 when you pester them with it.

Its fully launch punishable by the entire cast so people do duck and try to block it.

That's when uf+4 hits them.

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

DEATH™

The rare case of Karsticles posting in a Tekken thread! Hooray! Lol

--------

1. I think some of the topics should be put together. e.g. Hitboxes and Hurboxes etc.

2. You goal is to show why the system mechanics is important when strategizing. Lumping all the mechanics together in one area doesn't do that. I would prefer you to put the explanation of the mechanic and applications together (e.g. Frames Section would have explanation and then introduction to punishing and frame traps).

3. When you write a guide, keep in mind that you want to do it as engaging as possible and/or delivering clear messages as fast as possible, as us humans can only focus for a really short amount of time before our minds wander for another thought.

Sayah

The difference in 2D, 2.5D, and 3D fighters can be pretty vast. I don't know if "general" guides for learning fighting games exist but you're setting yourself up for quite the difficult task. Even Tekken is way different from all the other 3D fighters.

With that said, I have found that skills often transfer over between different fighters across different subgenres.

As far as suggestions go, maybe add wakeup options/ground recovery into your list. 3D fighters also have a low-mid-high game whereas 2D ones generally focus on high and low only (from what I've played). Maybe focus on that as well?

Manbig

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

Personally, I think the best tutorials separate between beginner, intermediate, and advanced stuff. Something sort of like the Killer Instinct tutorial. Rough draft of what I mean here:

BEGINNER

- Translation of command notations. Since I am assuming that you are sticking with 2D, maybe just stick to explaining SF style and numeric directional inputs and the way that punctuation is used in them.

- Explanation of attack levels, like what high, mid, low, and overhead really mean in their respective games.

- Very basic explanation of how jump ins work with things like cross ups and basic anti-airs. Maybe save stuff like ambiguous cross ups and safe jump ins for the intermediate or advanced tutorial.

- Add a part with an explanation on controlling space. Don't get into frame data, but do get into how maybe certain projectiles are safe or advantageous from a distance rather than up close.

- End the beginner section with some examples of executing a basic gameplan based on observation. Like do fireball from X range and watch what they do. If they do Y then you do Z.

After you establish that base, work your way up explaining the more intricate details in the intermediate and advanced tutorials, and maybe close each section out with examples of more advanced mind games and set ups.

That's just a rough idea off the top of my head, but hope that helps you at all. David Sirlin took this approach with his Super Turbo tutorial and it is one of the best tutorials out there in my opinion.

Naah, depending on the player ,it absolutely works.

db+4 has enough range and tracking to justify that usage(occasionally)

People get desperate to block db+4 when you pester them with it.

Its fully launch punishable by the entire cast so people do duck and try to block it.

That's when uf+4 hits them.

Unless Lars is in range 0, then d/b4 also loses really badly to step/walk right. Even up close, it is semi inconsistent versus a very well timed step. I assure you, the reason that those players are getting hit is not any sort of mix up with d/b4.

HeelPower I want to let you know that the only reason I'm not just completely lambasting you for your really really uninformed posts is because I promised Shouta I wouldn't cross that line.

Numb

HeelPower I want to let you know that the only reason I'm not just completely lambasting you for your really really uninformed posts is because I promised Shouta I wouldn't cross that line.

He did say depending on the player. Not everyone plays against pros all the time and not everyone in this thread is one, like me. I even lost to an Alisa once in T6 who just footsied me and only used d/f+4 .I didn't even know the notations for Tekken until 2010 even though i have been playing since 3 and learned everything by myself all that time with friends.
To be honest i am the most uninformed one here.It just happens that i love Tekken is all. It is easier to point out the wrongs so that they can correct them than to just get mad at them.

He did say depending on the player. Not everyone plays against pros all the time and not everyone in this thread is one, like me. I even lost to an Alisa once in T6 who just footsied me and only used d/f+4 .I didn't even know the notations for Tekken until 2010 even though i have been playing since 3 and learned everything by myself all that time with friends.
To be honest i am the most uninformed one here.It just happens that i love Tekken is all. It is easier to point out the wrongs so that they can correct them than to just get mad at them.

The difference is, you are uninformed and are aware of it. He clearly is not and he's trying to argue with someone mains Lars. Lars has a lot of great moves, u/f+4 and d/b+4 are not two of them. They are moves used in very specific situations for very specific reasons.

Numb

The difference is, you are uninformed and are aware of it. He clearly is not and he's trying to argue with someone mains Lars. Lars has a lot of great moves, u/f+4 and d/b+4 are not two of them. They are moves used in very specific situations for very specific reasons.

I understand but saying this first might have been more helpful. Pointing out the mistake might have helped him and also gotten him to improve his thought process on it too. I learned alot by just looking at the first post of this thread thx to AAK about Tekken Tag 2 than i would have by myself. Otherwise i would have been uninformed about alot and might have posted some wrongs. I would prefer if people corrected me and offered me solutions than to just shut me down as a noob.

Manbig

Alright, let's chill here.

u/f4 is still BULLSHIT! :p

So, after spending a few minutes with Lars in training mode as Marduk, I was able to pinpoint what it is about u/f4. Please note that this might be a thing exclusive to Marduk, I'm not sure, but he does have some shitty hitboxes.

When on Axis, there really is no problem hitting him while he tries to jump up during the u/f4. The problem comes when you are slightly off axis to Lars' left, and when I mean slightly, I mean in a way where you can't possibly tell visually that you are off axis. In this position, jabs, and quite a few mids completely whiffed on him. It seems like, even though he has his left leg dangling in the air during this move, it is still an incredibly thin hurtbox, so it will give the impression of him jumping over jabs and mids. Either way, this appears to be a big part of the grief that this move brings to people.

Alright, let's chill here.

u/f4 is still BULLSHIT! :p

So, after spending a few minutes with Lars in training mode as Marduk, I was able to pinpoint what it is about u/f4. Please note that this might be a thing exclusive to Marduk, I'm not sure, but he does have some shitty hitboxes.

When on Axis, there really is no problem hitting him while he tries to jump up during the u/f4. The problem comes when you are slightly off axis to Lars' left, and when I mean slightly, I mean in a way where you can't possibly tell visually that you are off axis. In this position, jabs, and quite a few mids completely whiffed on him. It seems like, even though he has his left leg dangling in the air during this move, it is still an incredibly thin hurtbox, so it will give the impression of him jumping over jabs and mids. Either way, this appears to be a big part of the grief that this move brings to people.

Jabs are a Marduk thing. Marduk some of the worst jab hitboxes in the game. That's why Lee can just d/f+1 on him all day because his d/f+1 and d/f+2 will duck right under Marduk's jabs at -1. It has to do with the hitbox on the jabs being too high. It's not a Lars thing, it's a Marduk thing.

Also I want to point something out. In Tekken a lot of people always think what's cheap is what their characters lack. People who play characters without hopkicks think hopkicks are cheap, magic 4s, orbitals, so on and so on. Maybe it's caused I've played around with so many characters in the past or I've switched main teams so many times in this game but none of that shit is cheap. Moves like these don't make a character cheap. A character is only as good as the total combination of their moves.

Sayah

Well, I binge watched Hunter X Hunter despite having so much work left to do by next week. The Kurapika/spider ark started right after the point I quit at and since AAK said it was good, I thought why not.

I'm now at episode 113 and turns out AAK is pretty spot on about this anime (from my personal perspective). Kurapika should have been the main character. Far more interesting character development and background story. Kurapika actually has a very strong reason for what he's doing. You can contrast this with the other side characters who really have no real motivations and are just tagging along with Gon because they have nothing better to do.

The Kurapika/phantom tropue arc was really the only time I was fully enveloped in the anime throughout. I watched through Green Island and a lot of the chimera ant arc and I keep waiting for it to get good but it's just not happening. The moment I think the anime is getting interesting, it reverts back to being boring. Like when that
royal guard breaks off Kite's arm and mind controls him, Gon is devastated for a moment and then reverts back to being happy and jolly. Then Knov who is supposed to be one of the strongest after chairman netero is so shaken by some freakin aura that he completely refuses to fight. The butterfly wing dude whose aura knov was shaken by is just crying all the time despite supposedly being a strong chimera ant. And the king is just so consumed with a board game, that he forgets about everything else resulting in him appearing less evil and less threatening despite having a really great start when he abandons the queen and beheads his fellow ants. That is all just bad character development.

And then at the point that you think things are finally going to get tense and the real action is about to go down when they
face off against the king
, I instead watch three episodes straight with everything in extreme slow motion where the narrator just won't shut up. Now I'm hoping things pick up in episode 114. It hasn't been a complete waste of time, though. I've enjoyed parts of HxH but, as a whole, so far, it's not that great.

Edit:
Tekken saved an arcade from closing. How nice.

https://twitter.com/FightingGameESL/status/595057121831583745

Edit 2: Apparently episodes 110 to 117 cover three total minutes of events in the anime. lol. I guess having the narrator give long, drawn out explanations of everything along with details on every mundane thing is one to way raise your episode count. What's annoying is that in the beginning of episode 117, the narrator says "three minutes before Killua raised his finger" (actual quote), the fight with youpi was going on.....and then in the end it says it's been three minutes since the fight started. Unless this is all a translation error, the inconsistency is there.

Manbig

Jabs are a Marduk thing. Marduk some of the worst jab hitboxes in the game. That's why Lee can just d/f+1 on him all day because his d/f+1 and d/f+2 will duck right under Marduk's jabs at -1. It has to do with the hitbox on the jabs being too high. It's not a Lars thing, it's a Marduk thing.

Also I want to point something out. In Tekken a lot of people always think what's cheap is what their characters lack. People who play characters without hopkicks think hopkicks are cheap, magic 4s, orbitals, so on and so on. Maybe it's caused I've played around with so many characters in the past or I've switched main teams so many times in this game but none of that shit is cheap. Moves like these don't make a character cheap. A character is only as good as the total combination of their moves.

I did some more testing after that post, and it also works on Dragunov. Basically, anything that doesn't have a beefy hitbox, or doesn't track to the character's left, loses pretty badly in this specific situation.

sasuke_91

Haven't played any "real" Tekken since Wednesday last week (I played some TR now and then because Mokujin Rush was up again) because I was sick and it seems like I forgot how to play it. Nothing worked the way I planned it. I felt like I was fighting my controller more than I was fighting my opponent. That was embarassing...
I did get quite far in Kingdom Hearts 2FM though, so I guess that wasn't too bad^^

Numb

Haven't played any "real" Tekken since Wednesday last week (I played some TR now and then because Mokujin Rush was up again) because I was sick and it seems like I forgot how to play it. Nothing worked the way I planned it. I felt like I was fighting my controller more than I was fighting my opponent. That was embarassing...
I did get quite far in Kingdom Hearts 2FM though, so I guess that wasn't too bad^^
I can play you anytime breh. If you see me online it only means i am there for TTT2.

Haven't played in a couple of days either. A friend gifted me Skullgirls on PC since my PS3 version is still without a Beowulf update cos its EU and things are weird here like that.
Got bodied 5-0 which was nice. Really hyped to learn him and Eliza team.

baeowulfandbaelizacolvvx6n.png

DIO colors have only made my hype even more.

Gambit61

Well, I binge watched Hunter X Hunter despite having so much work left to do by next week. The Kurapika/spider ark started right after the point I quit at and since AAK said it was good, I thought why not.

I'm now at episode 113 and turns out AAK is pretty spot on about this anime (from my personal perspective). Kurapika should have been the main character. Far more interesting character development and background story. Kurapika actually has a very strong reason for what he's doing. You can contrast this with the other side characters who really have no real motivations and are just tagging along with Gon because they have nothing better to do.

The Kurapika/phantom tropue arc was really the only time I was fully enveloped in the anime throughout. I watched through Green Island and a lot of the chimera ant arc and I keep waiting for it to get good but it's just not happening. The moment I think the anime is getting interesting, it reverts back to being boring. Like when that
royal guard breaks off Kite's arm and mind controls him, Gon is devastated for a moment and then reverts back to being happy and jolly. Then Knov who is supposed to be one of the strongest after chairman netero is so shaken by some freakin aura that he completely refuses to fight. The butterfly wing dude whose aura knov was shaken by is just crying all the time despite supposedly being a strong chimera ant. And the king is just so consumed with a board game, that he forgets about everything else resulting in him appearing less evil and less threatening despite having a really great start when he abandons the queen and beheads his fellow ants. That is all just bad character development.

And then at the point that you think things are finally going to get tense and the real action is about to go down when they
face off against the king
, I instead watch three episodes straight with everything in extreme slow motion where the narrator just won't shut up. Now I'm hoping things pick up in episode 114. It hasn't been a complete waste of time, though. I've enjoyed parts of HxH but, as a whole, so far, it's not that great.

Edit:
Tekken saved an arcade from closing. How nice.

https://twitter.com/FightingGameESL/status/595057121831583745

Edit 2: Apparently episodes 110 to 117 cover three total minutes of events in the anime. lol. I guess having the narrator give long, drawn out explanations of everything along with details on every mundane thing is one to way raise your episode count. What's annoying is that in the beginning of episode 117, the narrator says "three minutes before Killua raised his finger" (actual quote), the fight with youpi was going on.....and then in the end it says it's been three minutes since the fight started. Unless this is all a translation error, the inconsistency is there.

Yeah,the Chimera Ant arc has ssome really bad pacing. They could have easily dropped a lot of episodes imo. The two main events at least felt perfect. Also, butterfly ant is one of the worst characters in the show lol.

Sayah

Yeah,the Chimera Ant arc has ssome really bad pacing. They could have easily dropped a lot of episodes imo. The two main events at least felt perfect. Also, butterfly ant is one of the worst characters in the show lol.

Yeah, this could have been really great anime if they got rid of all the extraneous stuff and didn't make it drag so long. It would also help if the anime stuck with a more focused tone. Even FMA has some comedy but, for the most part, it's focused on taking itself seriously. Contrast that with HxH and Gon, Killua, and Kite JUST get started taking out the chimera ants and then they have to go back for another month and train even harder (despite a majority of the previous episodes already focusing on their training in heavens arena and green island). At that point, I just go WTF? It's back to Gon being silly, running around, dating palm (he's 12, she's 22).

And then stuff like the butterfly dude just piles on top of this because it's really terrible characterization.

Somebody should just make an abridged version of this anime. Then, it would be really great. Currently, I'm ranking it 6.8 out of 10. But that's just my personal opinion. No offense intended for people that love it. I don't regret watching it. It just could have been waaaaay better if the developers of the anime made it less tedious to go through.

DEATH™

Yeah, this could have been really great anime if they got rid of all the extraneous stuff and didn't make it drag so long. It would also help if the anime stuck with a more focused tone. Even FMA has some comedy but, for the most part, it's focused on taking itself seriously. Contrast that with HxH and Gon, Killua, and Kite JUST get started taking out the chimera ants and then they have to go back for another month and train even harder (despite a majority of the previous episodes already focusing on their training in heavens arena and green island). At that point, I just go WTF? It's back to Gon being silly, running around, dating palm (he's 12, she's 22).

And then stuff like the butterfly dude just piles on top of this because it's really terrible characterization.

Somebody should just make an abridged version of this anime. Then, it would be really great. Currently, I'm ranking it 6.8 out of 10. But that's just my personal opinion. No offense intended for people that love it. I don't regret watching it. It just could have been waaaaay better if the developers of the anime made it less tedious to go through.

Sayah, why won't you listen to me and watch Ippo? grrrr.

-------

Also, Wonkey found some interesting Fighting/Wrestling Game in the Namco lineup... If it's the Kings spinoff then I'm in!

Sayah

DEATH™;162739867 said:
Sayah, why won't you listen to me and watch Ippo? grrrr.

-------

Also, Wonkey found some interesting Fighting/Wrestling Game in the Namco lineup... If it's the Kings spinoff then I'm in!

I will. I have to watch jojo and then ippo. :)
And then there's also the remaining list from Famicom.

I definitely have to spend the rest of this week getting actual work done, though.

DEATH™

I will. I have to watch jojo and then ippo. :)
And then there's also the remaining list from Famicom.

I definitely have to spend the rest of this week getting actual work done, though.

No, you watch Ippo first, then Jojo. Not a jab on Jojo, but you will be stuck watching it for a long while. Kinda like watching Detective Conan...

Sayah

DEATH™;162740275 said:
No, you watch Ippo first, then Jojo. Not a jab on Jojo, but you will be stuck watching it for a long while. Kinda like watching Detective Conan...

It's only 26 episodes for the jojo from 2012. But sure, I'll switch the order around. lol.

Numb

It's only 26 episodes for the jojo from 2012. But sure, I'll switch the order around. lol.

Don't listen to that guy. Watch Jojo first. Although Ippo is fantastic aswell. Finished the anime then went to manga and found out it had over 1000 chapters!! Only made to around 600. Surprisingly the latest anime reaches all the way to around 500 or so chapters combined with allthe other seasons ofcourse.

DEATH™

Don't listen to that guy. Watch Jojo first. Although Ippo is fantastic aswell. Finished the anime then went to manga and found out it had over 1000 chapters!! Only made to around 600. Surprisingly the latest anime reaches all the way to around 500 or so chapters combined with allthe other seasons ofcourse.

That's why I want him to start with Ippo first... It's waaay more shorter currently compared to JoJo. Ippo you can binge watch for like a week or so...

Numb

DEATH™;162745219 said:
That's why I want him to start with Ippo first... It's waaay more shorter currently compared to JoJo. Ippo you can binge watch for like a week or so...

The Ippo anime is not shorter than the new Jojo anime.

Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! S1 at 76 episodes
Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger S2 at 26
Hajime no Ippo: Rising S3 at 25

Combined with the first 2012 season of Jojo at 26 episodes with the one ongoing right now and the total till it ends in june is at 74 episodes.
Jojo is shorter but they are both pretty long in their own right so it doesn't really matter which one he starts at actually. They are both pretty hype.

Any EU players feel free to add me. When I can play is sometimes a little finicky, but if you see me online just ask.

Sent you a friend request.

Man, i was just on Tekken Rev and ran into a 29th Dan Kazuya. 15000(!) wins. 11 win streak. While i was looking on in awe he beat me the first round, but then i mauled the shit out of him. Wasn't ready for Kuni i guess. And then he ragequit the last round.

In retrospect, might have been a hacker. But why wouldn't he hack his stats then.. ? Weird.

Pachimari

Okay, so I have the following on my Word document list right now (I'm gonna send out invites soon), who did I miss? And which countries are you from guys?

GAF: sasuke_91
PSN: UchihaSasuke_91

GAF: Numb
PSN: imtherealkratos

GAF: Doomshine

GAF: Spuck-uk
PSN: Spuck-uk

I'm gonna connect my PS3 to a monitor with a little inpug lag but at this point, I just need to start playing with Bruce, and so I'll hook it up besides my desktop.

Sayah

@Numb and DEATH - I'll just toss a coin.

No, don't listen to any of them.
Watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer instead! 😉

buffcereal_zpse3e66513.gif

lol this gif.

Anyway, I already tried watching this show and Supernatural as well. They're both episodic so I didn't like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom