• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Hard or easy to implement... that's doesn't matter to us as the consumer. What matters most is the final product and the implementation of Tag in Tekken is a gamechanger. Playing Tag team is a completely different beast compared to playing Solo. The mechanics like Tag Crash, Tagging, Tag Assault contributed to that feeling of playing a brand new game with fascinating avenues to explore and behold as a player and spectator.

I just wish Tekken 7 had something that would contribute to its gameplay offering something new and fresh to explore like TTT2 and the previous mainline Tekkens before it.

EDIT:

They had already had strong base to build on.T6BR was already very close to being very balanced.TTT2 actually tweaks very little in this regard .

TTT2 is solid ,but it presents no strong departure to me when all it did was a highly frustrating and elusive mechanic known as the Tag mechanic.

Sure if you take away the Tag mechanic it just becomes a rebalanced Tekken 6 BR... but so does Tekken 7 from what all these videos from Korea/Japan are showing. So I'm pretty much sharing that same frustration.

Numb

I hoped that people would uncover some new things we have never seen before after they got the game on their hands but no. They most exciting thing about Tekken 7 to me is the new characters. I will only truly know my exact feelings when i play the game for myself. I thought i was hyped for TTT2 after watching countless videos and those expectations were blown away when i got the game.

Tag mechanic frustrating and elusive?

Don't think I've ever heard those words used for tag.

I mean if tag is felt this way in Tekken, imagine the impression of MVC3. Sheesh.

At least in Tekken I can follow what's happening. Marvel? Looks like an ADHD nightmare on crack -- in comparison.

Pachimari

I'm just fucking hyped about Tekken 7!
And I hope to meet you all on there, and to help me really learn the basics and mechanisms of the series.

I mean if tag is felt this way in Tekken, imagine the impression of MVC3. Sheesh.

At least in Tekken I can follow what's happening. Marvel? Looks like an ADHD nightmare on crack -- in comparison.

As someone who has had to watch and teach new players the mechanics to TTT2, the tag mechanics are absolutely unintuitive. It's a deep and varied mechanic, but it takes a while to wrap your head around it all.

And yeah I definitely know casuals that play Marvel without ever using the tag system correctly. They'll raw tag on low health, but the other tag methods? No way.

Manbig

Lies. You're in Aris' stream all of the time. You've definitely heard people complain about the tag mechanic.

TTT2 isn't a mainline sequel. It's another incremental addition to the Tekken 5 formula that Tekken 6 improved on.

But even then, let's look at the impact a tag button, tag assault, tag crash involved in the core gameplay. Now look at the impact Rage Arts and Armor Moves have on T7, it's still a massive difference.

Even after that, take a look at how many new moves Namco animated for TTT2: True Ogre, Jun, Kunimitsu, Julia's new moves, All the new moves the console specific characters got, all the Tag throws animations, all the brand new win-pose and intro animations.

When you compile all of that it definitely does look like TTT2 had considerably more effort than T7 for that matter.

True Ogre, or even Ancient Ogre don't have very many unique animations. Dr. B on the other hand? It feels like they put way more effort into that shitty joke of a character than they did for the last two Tekken 7 reveals.

Sayah

Off-topic: Re-watching Malcolm in the Middle. BEST sitcom. Highly recommended to everyone. If you want to "test" run one episode, maybe watch Season 4, Episode 9. The first season of this show is kind of meh but it gets much better from the second season onward. It's on Netflix by the way. Plus, Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad is a main character in the show so you get to see his great acting a second time.

@Famicom - I got up to the point where Gon listens to the tape recorded message from his dad and is about to set off to some yorknew town. The show just wasn't interesting me at all after so many episodes so I'm dropping it. :( I don't like Gon. He annoys me as a protagonist. He's just too "goody good" and cheery. I'll look into another one of your recommendations.

@Famicom - I got up to the point where Gon listens to the tape recorded message from his dad and is about to set off to some yorknew town. The show just wasn't interesting me at all after so many episodes so I'm dropping it. :( I don't like Gon. He annoys me as a protagonist. He's just too "goody good" and cheery. I'll look into another one of your recommendations.

hWkuYgW.gif

Ok.

Numb

Hunter x Hunter is one of the few shonens that doesn't completely focus on the main protag all the time.
The later parts are the best Sayah. Give the Chimera arc a chance and you might like it.

And if you want to watch anything else.
tumblr_ml5tr6ib8Z1r2umvdo1_500.gif

You can never go wrong with Jojo.
And the main protags change randomely so you don't get bored with them either.

Sayah

Hunter x Hunter is one of the few shonens that doesn't completely focus on the main protag all the time.
The later parts are the best Sayah. Give the Chimera arc a chance and you might like it.

And if you want to watch anything else.
tumblr_ml5tr6ib8Z1r2umvdo1_500.gif

You can never go wrong with Jojo.
And the main protags change randomely so you don't get bored with them either.

I checked Wikipedia and the Chimera arc is so many episodes away still. :/
Maybe after some time, I'll try to trudge along with this anime.

My preferences pretty much go like this: I like mature anime like Monster, Death Note, Claymore generally in the action/adventure/suspense/mystery genre. Most comedy in anime is cringe worthy to me so I don't go for that genre. Soul Eater is probably the only comedy I enjoyed in anime actually. I also do not like slice of life. I prefer English dubbing but Hunter x Hunter was okay with the Japanese. When I watched Kaiji, the Japanese was just unbearable (sometimes it could get very high pitched and annoying). Not including TV sitcoms, I also don't like episodic stuff. For that reason, I dropped Cowboy Bebop, Hell Girl and When They Cry a few episodes in. And I definitely avoid anything with ecchi.

I'll give Jojo a try next but if it falls under the categories I don't like above, then let me know now. :p

Edit: I see that the recent Jojo doesn't have English dubbing but that's not too big of a problem for me.

Numb

I checked Wikipedia and the Chimera arc is so many episodes away still. :/
Maybe after some time, I'll try to trudge along with this anime.

My preferences pretty much go like this: I like mature anime like Monster, Death Note, Claymore generally in the action/adventure/suspense/mystery genre. Most comedy in anime is cringe worthy to me so I don't go for that genre. Soul Eater is probably the only comedy I enjoyed in anime actually. I also do not like slice of life. I prefer English dubbing but Hunter x Hunter was okay with the Japanese. When I watched Kaiji, the Japanese was just unbearable (sometimes it could get very high pitched and annoying). Not including TV sitcoms, I also don't like episodic stuff. For that reason, I dropped Cowboy Bebop, Hell Girl and When They Cry a few episodes in. And I definitely avoid anything with ecchi.

I'll give Jojo a try next but if it falls under the categories I don't like above, then let me know now. :p

Edit: I see that the recent Jojo doesn't have English dubbing but that's not too big of a problem for me.
@Madridista
I can play with your Bruce in preparation for Josie anytime man. You and i have't played yet i believe.

Good thing then. The first part of Jojo is about vampires but no exactly horror so you got your suspense/mystery there. The second part is basically Indiana Jones. He actually gets an Indiana Jones costume later on too, The adventure is quite high in that one. And now they are on the third part which is a world trip. The entire thing is action/adventure.
More than anything else Jojo is about being fabulous for no reason with crazy poses. Also you get to meet the inspirations for Guile and Rose who are both. KOF Benimaru and Paul's hair inspiration too.
Jojo was made in the era where Hokuto no Ken was inspired by Mad Max and then Hokuto no Ken inspired Jojo. So there are very manly men in there with no loud and screechy sounds. It is not deep like most of the stuff you wrote but it is great. No ecchi either. Busy pumping iron and punching frogs.

BvFu8q4.gif

The thing with Jojo is that the manga has 8 parts. The first season of the new anime covers part 1 and 2 of it. Then the current season is of part 3. You are getting into alot of history here but good thing cos you are at the start for now. It is understandable if it is not your thing. Jojo clicks with the randomness inside people and how easy they can handle weird shit. Weird but awesome shit. Like punching a bowl of spaghetti out of nowhere because it looked ''suspicious''.

It all depends on how much crazy and fab you can handle in the end.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I also don't like episodic stuff. For that reason, I dropped Cowboy Bebop, Hell Girl and When They Cry a few episodes in.

You really, REALLY need to go back and watch this holy shit. Admittedly some episodes are standalone, but the overall story is incredible, and the last few episodes are mindblowingly good.

Jojos is a self contained story in each series, with no filler, sounds exactly what you're after (Though I think the first series is kinda weak, its important because Dio)

Pachimari

@Madridista
I can play with your Bruce in preparation for Josie anytime man. You and i have't played yet i believe.
But I don't want to disappoint you. My abilities suck.

I'll just go get an Ethernet cable today or tomorrow, so the connection will be better.

Are you in North America? Europe? Asia?

Pachimari

I am in Europe. W e can play tomorrow if you are free.
Yeah I'm free tomorrow all day I think. I'm located in Scandinavia, and I just want to become a better Tekken player in general. I'm want to be on all of you guys level.

Btw, I'm better with Marshall Law who have been my main but I wanna use Bruce in preparation for Josie.

sasuke_91

Very interesting description Numb. I still haven't watched Jojo and always wanted to do so.

I totally sucked when I came here Madridista. I still have some matches from one year ago recorded on my PS3. You just have to play with us a lot, take these guys' advice to heart and you'll not recognize yourself by the time Tekken 7 comes out.
I'm from Europe too btw. I live in Germany.

Degen

Is it weird that a character like Gigas has a hopkick?

Not a traditional one, maybe not as fast, but it looks like he's airborne and it launches on normal hit

I mean he's generally bad at crushing lows but... it's a hopkick

edit: Apparently it is just a counter hit launch

Pachimari

Very interesting description Numb. I still haven't watched Jojo and always wanted to do so.

I totally sucked when I came here Madridista. I still have some matches from one year ago recorded on my PS3. You just have to play with us a lot, take these guys' advice to heart and you'll not recognize yourself by the time Tekken 7 comes out.
I'm from Europe too btw. I live in Germany.

You wanna play me too?

I will make a document on my computer, so I know who are my Tekken buddies. I think boutdown is also up for some practicing me?

I dunno what any of you are talking about regarding the tag mechanic.

I've never heard someone say "where's my tag assault??" or "but, I tag crashed!".

The complaints I hear and agree with are, "%#+¥*! the wall screwed up my combo" or "why did that move miss" or "+%%}={! Matterhorn crushed my mid again" or "how did that hit me?".

IE: hitbox issues. Tekken's had those forever though, even in single player games.

Seriously, what's the problem? How hard is the concept? You press the button when you want to change characters: raw tag, tag throw, tag crash, red bar, or tag assault. The system seems entirely logical to me.

Which brings me back to the real issue: shitty hitboxes and lazy and/or incompetent developers who don't realize the problem or don't care.

sasuke_91

You wanna play me too?

I will make a document on my computer, so I know who are my Tekken buddies. I think boutdown is also up for some practicing me?

Boutdown has a very solid Law. You'll be able to learn a lot by playing him. Don't expect too much from the connection though. We get 2 bars and the input lag is horrible sometimes.
Both Doomshine and Numb play Bruce.
I main Hwoarang and Steve. Most people hate them :p

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...-arcade-online-update-ver-f08-changelist.html T7 update balance changes. Looks like most hopkicks became more unsafe.

Been lurking this thread for a bit now ever since i got back on the Tekken grind in preparation for T7 <.< I'd love to practice against some of the EU folks here too. I'm.. pretty bad though i think.
Add me -> UchihaSasuke_91
I'm from Germany.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yeah I'm free tomorrow all day I think. I'm located in Scandinavia, and I just want to become a better Tekken player in general. I'm want to be on all of you guys level.

Btw, I'm better with Marshall Law who have been my main but I wanna use Bruce in preparation for Josie.

I'm rusty as hell but I'd love to play more Spuck-uk on PSN. (UK obviously)

Apologies in advance for not being online as often as I should.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Boutdown has a very solid Law. You'll be able to learn a lot by playing him. Don't expect too much from the connection though. We get 2 bars and the input lag is horrible sometimes.
Both Doomshine and Numb play Bruce.
I main Hwoarang and Steve. Most people hate them :p

Add me -> UchihaSasuke_91
I'm from Germany.

I still haven't played you, and I added you like months ago, my fault!

DEATH™

I've never heard someone say "where's my tag assault??" or "but, I tag crashed!".

The complaints I hear and agree with are, "%#+¥*! the wall screwed up my combo" or "why did that move miss" or "+%%}={! Matterhorn crushed my mid again" or "how did that hit me?".

IE: hitbox issues. Tekken's had those forever though, even in single player games.

Seriously, what's the problem? How hard is the concept? You press the button when you want to change characters: raw tag, tag throw, tag crash, red bar, or tag assault. The system seems entirely logical to me.

Which brings me back to the real issue: shitty hitboxes and lazy and/or incompetent developers who don't realize the problem or don't care.

This.

Some of you guys never played wrestling games.

Archon473

TTT2 wasn't at NCR.
DEATH™;161955331 said:
To add to this, the only TTT2 setup when we went on Friday was our setup. Dunno about the rest of the weekend if Kevs and Tray brought them again...

Wow, holy hell. I know T7 was there but I feel the same way about that game as I felt about Tag 2 when it released - people don't really know how to play and it's not fun to watch. I've been watching the Avoiding the Puddle podcasts from the beginning in between recent episodes and every opinion Aris and Rip had about TTT2 and Injustice when those games released is exactly how I felt at the time. It's funny to hear what they have to say about T7 and MKX in parallel.

Do you mean NorthWest Majors?

No, but I'm excited to see those matches. I'm hoping KhaosGaming and SeattleTekken upload footage to Youtube.

Degen

Heard it a lot, said it a lot

DEATH™;162194305 said:
This.

Played 'em all

RIP tag system and don't come back for a good long while

m0t0k1

You really should he has a very good ling you can learn a lot from him. Sasuke is probably even better now.

I have been neglecting playing tekken last months. I should try to play some more matches soon.

Sayah

Degen you is trippin.

@Madridista

Good thing then. The first part of Jojo is about vampires but no exactly horror so you got your suspense/mystery there. The second part is basically Indiana Jones. He actually gets an Indiana Jones costume later on too, The adventure is quite high in that one. And now they are on the third part which is a world trip. The entire thing is action/adventure.
More than anything else Jojo is about being fabulous for no reason with crazy poses. Also you get to meet the inspirations for Guile and Rose who are both. KOF Benimaru and Paul's hair inspiration too.
Jojo was made in the era where Hokuto no Ken was inspired by Mad Max and then Hokuto no Ken inspired Jojo. So there are very manly men in there with no loud and screechy sounds. It is not deep like most of the stuff you wrote but it is great. No ecchi either. Busy pumping iron and punching frogs.

BvFu8q4.gif

The thing with Jojo is that the manga has 8 parts. The first season of the new anime covers part 1 and 2 of it. Then the current season is of part 3. You are getting into alot of history here but good thing cos you are at the start for now. It is understandable if it is not your thing. Jojo clicks with the randomness inside people and how easy they can handle weird shit. Weird but awesome shit. Like punching a bowl of spaghetti out of nowhere because it looked ''suspicious''.

It all depends on how much crazy and fab you can handle in the end.

Sounds like a fun anime. As soon as I finish this semester with my one paper and one exam left now, I will start this.

You really, REALLY need to go back and watch this holy shit. Admittedly some episodes are standalone, but the overall story is incredible, and the last few episodes are mindblowingly good.

Jojos is a self contained story in each series, with no filler, sounds exactly what you're after (Though I think the first series is kinda weak, its important because Dio)

I guess I could give it a second try. I think I watched three episodes of Bebop before stopping.

Manbig

DEATH™;162194305 said:
This.

Not seeing the comparison here. Also, outside of Day of Reckoning 2, wrestling games have been dogshit for a decade now.

Numb

I am in Scandinavia aswell so our connection should be good. PSN ID imtherealkratos. Add me so we can play.

Done! "Cephiria" here, from the Netherlands.

I play Kunimitsu, but i've been trying to pick up someone new because.. i don't think she'll be making it into T7. Have been trying a bit of Asuka, Lili and Bruce.

I'm rusty as hell but I'd love to play more Spuck-uk on PSN. (UK obviously)

Apologies in advance for not being online as often as I should.
I have sent you two a friend request.

AAK

Saw the HxH discussion earlier. I am echoing Sayah, outside of the Kurapika vs Spider Troupe arc, I was extremely underwhelmed. Also, Gon's character design is pretty dumb. Why they heck are his eyes so damn big? And also what kind of message are they trying to send by having his best friend (forgot his name) go and kill innocent people randomly and never being confronted about it? The Chimera Ant arc had atrocious pacing... and that episode with the bad guys orgasming scarred me for life. And lastly, that best friend's sister arc was literally Bleach levels of random BS.

Numb

Saw the HxH discussion earlier. I am echoing Sayah, outside of the Kurapika vs Spider Troupe arc, I was extremely underwhelmed. Also, Gon's character design is pretty dumb. Why they heck are his eyes so damn big? And also what kind of message are they trying to send by having his best friend (forgot his name) go and kill innocent people randomly and never being confronted about it? The Chimera Ant arc had atrocious pacing... and that episode with the bad guys orgasming scarred me for life. And lastly, that best friend's sister arc was literally Bleach levels of random BS.

It is shonen after all. I never liked his design either and the weird orgasming was dumb too.
It is always good to be able to tolerate shit when it comes to shonen.

I'm not as confident, aha. But it was nice to see some improvement, yes.

I was not expecting Bruce but Kunmitsu from you. You realized later on that i do not block low and started mixing me up with lows and mids.
And after you started being patient and jabbing me combined with the lows you locked down my offense that way.

I probably should have switched to Kuni at some point, yeah.. I had just been training Bruce all evening (because Josie sure is cute) so i just continued that without thinking.

Degen

To clarify, I don't actually think the tag mechanic is terrible, and the concept of using two characters is awesome, but I definitely prefer the gameplay without it. I think most of the player base agrees

Numb

I probably should have switched to Kuni at some point, yeah.. I had just been training Bruce all evening (because Josie sure is cute) so i just continued that without thinking.

She is one of those rare characters you never face online so my experience against her is low. Ancient Ogre aswell. I think i only ever fought a handful of him.

Sayah

Well from what I watched so far, the clown dude Hisoka getting all tingly over Gon was really creepy. Like that's getting close to pedophilia.

HeelPower

I just wish Tekken 7 had something that would contribute to its gameplay offering something new and fresh to explore like TTT2 and the previous mainline Tekkens before it.

To be fair,I totally understand your frustration with the game and, to an extent, agree that T7 presents no leap from BR as I see it now.

but maybe,just maybe the new mechanics that they added will prove meaningful by the time the game hits console.

lupinko

Sega's All Net service is down right now, so everybody and myself included are kinda lost. Lol

All just playing training mode.

Bamco uses Sega's net services as the base.

sasuke_91

Done! "Cephiria" here, from the Netherlands.

I play Kunimitsu, but i've been trying to pick up someone new because.. i don't think she'll be making it into T7. Have been trying a bit of Asuka, Lili and Bruce.

Sorry, I've been sick these last few days. Still haven't accepted your request.

No problem. You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to Tekken, so I look forward to playing with you :)

You really should he has a very good ling you can learn a lot from him. Sasuke is probably even better now.

I have been neglecting playing tekken last months. I should try to play some more matches soon.

Thanks for the compliment, but most of TekkenGAF is way better than me.
But yeah, my Ling got way better :p

Well that was a straight mauling. Good games, Numb~

Don't worry. You really have to get used to Numb's playstyle. Just stay calm, sidestep a lot and use a lot of lows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom