• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

Lol I'm actually learning how to play asuka while trying to grind in Revolution. My first two unlocks were Lee and Miguel. Whoopiedoo. :/

Still no Leo or Feng. Oh well it doesn't hurt to have another character I can use.

Sayah

Lol I'm actually learning how to play asuka while trying to grind in Revolution. My first two unlocks were Lee and Miguel. Whoopiedoo. :/

Still no Leo or Feng. Oh well it doesn't hurt to have another character I can use.

I just bought Nina, played with her once, and then never touched Revolution again, lol.

Octo-Yoshi huh?

Meh.

I haven't really been that interested in the whole teenage vampire genre unfortunately. Maybe I'll try at some point.

You should definitely give Buffy a chance (all episodes on Netflix). Joss Whedon's humor never fails, plus that show is babe central. Angel wasn't bad either (got a lot of laughs on that too).

sasuke_91

I just bought Nina, played with her once, and then never touched Revolution again, lol.
Now that I have T6 back I don't need TR anymore. Just played the game because it's 1 on 1.

@MarkMan: Some people seem to have been spreading rumors that T7 is going to be at a tournament at the end of May in Germany. I'm sure that's not true, but I thought I'd ask you anyway since you would know and be my "proof" :p

lupinko

Ok looks like Tekken is too strong for me, I played some games today.

Katarina 8-2

Asuka 0-4 LOL

Yah got no clue what I'm doing with Asuka, she's not ready yet and I should just continue practicing her at home in Revo or something.

Oh the hair custom looks better in game and the light reflects off it depending on the stage which is pretty cool.

AAK

Lupinko: do you have the same restrictions like Korea for T7? I mean the things JDCR was talking about where the game automatically forces you to put in credits even if you were maintaining a win streak?

lupinko

Lupinko: do you have the same restrictions like Korea for T7? I mean the things JDCR was talking about where the game automatically forces you to put in credits even if you were maintaining a win streak?

I never heard of that, I had a 8 win streak with Kat tonight.

Lost once, changed to Asuka for 4 games (training, 3 losses), lost second time with Kat (fuck Gigas), lost 4th time with Asuka.

So unless I lost or training mode ended, I didn't have to pay again. So Bamco is really being unfair to Korea.

Doomshine

I wonder if the graphics update Harada talked about coincides with Yoshi's release.

Is this because of some Korean law or something? Seems really shitty.

AAK

I believe JDCR said a 10 win streak is what caused it. Have you ever experienced it or heard it happen?

lupinko

I believe JDCR said a 10 win streak is what caused it. Have you ever experienced it or heard it happen?

I haven't experienced it yet (tonight was the longest streak I had, prior it was 4), and I haven't seen it either here locally.

CSX

When u play Online Mode, you are automatically booted off the T7 machine after a 10 win streak. I bet JDCR puts in the credit so he can quickly continue after he reaches 10 wins

This happens on all machines

AAK

This happens on all machines

ibxNirbLsIq76A.jpg

Namco man.... What happened to you?

lupinko

It doesnt happen if you do Local play. Damn high level houston players whipping my ass yesterday lol.

Based shaheen got me some wins though lol

But local play (unless it's set to tournament/event mode) is rarely played nowadays. It's all online play, well here in Japan anyway. When Sega's All.Net went down (Namco piggybacks off it), people usually just did training mode instead, myself included. Lol

CSX

But local play (unless it's set to tournament/event mode) is rarely played nowadays. It's all online play, well here in Japan anyway. When Sega's All.Net went down (Namco piggybacks off it), people usually just did training mode instead, myself included. Lol

Yea i noticed that on the newer youtube matches being uploaded. The machine being toured around the U.S can't connect to a Japanese or Korean machine with 5 bar connections so it keeps saying "Match is cancelled" on the bottom constantly lol

Sayah

@lupinko Why don't you buy Tekken 6 to practice Feng and Leo? It should be very cheap now.
Now that I have T6 back I don't need TR anymore. Just played the game because it's 1 on 1.

@MarkMan: Some people seem to have been spreading rumors that T7 is going to be at a tournament at the end of May in Germany. I'm sure that's not true, but I thought I'd ask you anyway since you would know and be my "proof" :p

I can play T6 one of these days with you if you want.

You should definitely give Buffy a chance (all episodes on Netflix). Joss Whedon's humor never fails, plus that show is babe central. Angel wasn't bad either (got a lot of laughs on that too).

There's so much other stuff I have to finish first, though. :/

Manbig

E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E here should watch this.

https://youtu.be/FQQCan5oo90

It is Juicebox breaking down footsies in SF4. Seeing as Tekken is basically 100% footsies, this knowledge is very much adaptable. When he starts going into walk speed on the later part of the video, it might just give you an idea of how to possibly adapt the TR/T7 backwalk animation into your spacing.

It is Juicebox breaking down footsies in SF4. Seeing as Tekken is basically 100% footsies, this knowledge is very much adaptable. When he starts going into walk speed on the later part of the video, it might just give you an idea of how to possibly adapt the TR/T7 backwalk animation into your spacing.

Most of this does not apply to Tekken directly at all. Footsies in Tekken are not like footsies in SF.

Manbig

Most of this does not apply to Tekken directly at all. Footsies in Tekken are not like footsies in SF.

I strongly disagree. The mentality of spacing to clip limbs, whiff punish based on a combination of prediction and reaction, predicting opponent movement and timing, varying your own movement and timing to throw off the opponent, and spacing yourself based on your opponent's tools very much applies to Tekken.

It's why in high level matches from Korea, you'll see that part where they move around like crazy in each others faces, but don't press any buttons. It happens all of the time. It is because they are approaching it with the exact same mindset that someone in a combat sport approaches a fight. These are universal concepts that separate the best from the rest.

Ruehl

Neo Member
I love Buffy. S1 can be a bit hard to get into though. If you struggle with that one I'd just skip a few episodes of it.

I agree. Once you fall in love with the show though you really learn to appreciate the first season. I'm sure you probably feel the same. ^_^

Listen to this guy! ☝

she-knows-what-she-workin_zpsalwvgcmx.gif

lupinko

@lupinko Why don't you buy Tekken 6 to practice Feng and Leo? It should be very cheap now.

Oh I'm going to get Tekken Tag 2 on payday.

It's good to have more than one character anyway. I guess I can have five characters or something. Lol

I strongly disagree. The mentality of spacing to clip limbs, whiff punish based on a combination of prediction and reaction, predicting opponent movement and timing, varying your own movement and timing to throw off the opponent, and spacing yourself based on your opponent's tools very much applies to Tekken.

All of this is basic knowledge. What you just did is define footsies but you didn't say how to do it. How Juicebox explains how to play footsies is completely irrelevant in a 3D movement and high, mid, low scenario. It doesn't work. If you think like he tells you too in Tekken you're going to get blown up in the footsie game because of how SSing, crushing, and the HML game works. It's not a good reference point. The way everything is applied is too different.

Manbig

All of this is basic knowledge. What you just did is define footsies but you didn't say how to do it. How Juicebox explains how to play footsies is completely irrelevant in a 3D movement and high, mid, low scenario. It doesn't work. If you think like he tells you too in Tekken you're going to get blown up in the footsie game because of how SSing, crushing, and the HML game works. It's not a good reference point. The way everything is applied is too different.

I didn't say to copy and paste what he did, I said to use that mentality to adapt what he is doing to Tekken. It very much applies. Sometimes you need to see what footsies look like, and he shows some fantastic examples right there, and openly talks about some important concepts that are 100% universal.

His most important point, in my opinion, is when he talked about it being the difference between just playing your character versus playing the whole game. It's like when Aris was practicing how to fight against Ling as King on stream, and he was testing what to do versus Ling's SSR iAOP, since that gets around tracking moves. King has no solid unique option for this situation, except maybe crouch grab. Bronson then chimed in the chat during this that Aris needs to just SS with her and then strike, and his words were "Just play Tekken." The ideas that Juicebox brought up in that video are exactly what Bronson was talking about.

While you don't have to worry about jump ins in Tekken, you do have to worry about sidestepping. So what is so hard about applying these concepts with sidestepping? Juicebox talks about using training mode to find your character's optimal range to punish another characters optimal toolset in the neutral game. Isn't this exactly how you use movement in Tekken?

Like, if I am in training mode trying to learn the Devil Jin match up, so I set the dummy to throw out EWGF and a Demon Paw with variable timing, then I keep myself at around range 1, and try to time my SSL and see what moves I can punish the whiffs in time with, is that not the same concepts that he talks about in his very video?

I mean, it seems pretty clear to me at least.

Sayah

Oh I'm going to get Tekken Tag 2 on payday.

It's good to have more than one character anyway. I guess I can have five characters or something. Lol

Ah, in that case, great. You had mentioned earlier you weren't able to lock down a physical copy of TTT2 so I thought you might have been interested in maybe picking up Tekken 6 just to learn Feng and Leo since it's cheaper.

Listen to this guy! ☝

she-knows-what-she-workin_zpsalwvgcmx.gif

I love Buffy. S1 can be a bit hard to get into though. If you struggle with that one I'd just skip a few episodes of it.

Just from what I've been told and from the little I've watched, I have a feeling all of these teenage vampire stories (Twilight, Buffy, Vampire Diaries, etc) follow the cliched romance story of human girl falling in love with vampire boy. Just not something I would greatly invest myself into. :p

I will re-try with Buffy but it's episodic so I don't know how much patience I'll have, haha. I think one of you mentioned it becomes serialized later and ditches the episodic, monster-of-the-week format. Is that correct? I just want a continuous serial without the extraneous episodes dealing with isolated external events not pivotal to the overall story. I was told the same thing about Supernatural and how later it becomes non-episodic. I watched through and had patience but it became serialized for a short number of episodes and then went back to its episodic nature. So I dropped it.

Ruehl

Neo Member
I will re-try with Buffy but it's episodic so I don't know how much patience I'll have, haha. I think one of you mentioned it becomes serialized later and ditches the episodic, monster-of-the-week format. Is that correct? I just want a continuous serial without the extraneous episodes dealing with isolated external events not pivotal to the overall story. I was told the same thing about Supernatural and how later it becomes non-episodic. I watched through and had patience but it became serialized for a short number of episodes and then went back to its episodic nature. So I dropped it.

Correct. Buffy is only episodic for the first season (12 episodes). Every following season is simply amazing (seasons 2-7). It's definitely a show that pushed the boundaries during it's time and wasn't afraid to explore concepts such as rape and sexuality. It's actually one of the first (if not the first) series to feature a lesbian couple on television.

Give it another shot, you won't regret it!

Here-Buffy-scariest-toughest-most-glamorous-slayer-ever_zpscij5ymgc.gif

MikeMyers

For Buffy Season 1, I recommend:

"Welcome to the Hellmouth" (Part 1)
"The Harvest" (Part 2)
"Angel"
"Out of Mind, Out of Sight"
"Prophecy Girl"

As essential episodes. The rest is rather weak IMO.

Sayah

Alrighty, I will try to get to Buffy sooner.
Correct. Buffy is only episodic for the first season (12 episodes). Every following season is simply amazing (seasons 2-7). It's definitely a show that pushed the boundaries during it's time and wasn't afraid to explore concepts such as rape and sexuality. It's actually one of the first (if not the first) series to feature a lesbian couple on television.

Give it another shot, you won't regret it!

Here-Buffy-scariest-toughest-most-glamorous-slayer-ever_zpscij5ymgc.gif

Well, I did like Sarah Gellar as Daphne in the Scooby Doo film.

giphy.gif

Since you keep posting gifs of her. :p

AAK

Damn that was a super good video. The best thing I liked about that video is how thoroughly Juicebox is tries to instill a change in mentality. If you are going extremely technical and specific to the video then yes it might not necessarily apply to Tekken because of the extra layers in Tekken's system. However, the mentality he's trying to promote is extremely valuable to any aspiring Tekken player.

About the backwalk application... I have my reservations because if it really did have an effect on the game then we would have seen it applied in Tekken Revolution which its copy and pasted from.

Manbig

Damn that was a super good video. The best thing I liked about that video is how thoroughly Juicebox is tries to instill a change in mentality. If you are going extremely technical and specific to the video then yes it might not necessarily apply to Tekken because of the extra layers in Tekken's system. However, the mentality he's trying to promote is extremely valuable to any aspiring Tekken player.

About the backwalk application... I have my reservations because if it really did have an effect on the game then we would have seen it applied in Tekken Revolution which its copy and pasted from.

I would agree with you if I felt like real good players gave TR a real chance, or if it at least had a training mode that was worth a shit.

For now, I'm taking the wait and see approach. What I can say about TR is even bad players sneaked their way out of a few hits by creating some space with it, so I think that it is at least worth testing.

AAK

Yeah, there definitely were situations that the backwalk let the new players back out of a number of situations. I know I had some full crouch situations using Julia where players I would never expect to back away from the mixup manage to do it with the generic backwalk.

BUT, those situations I did come across were still possible to backdash cancel out of for anyone that is capable of executing the movement. It's happened when I faced some of the Montreal players.

So at the very least the TR backwalk can potentially make some defensive situations universally easier eliminating setups that were only useful against players that couldn't properly BDC.

Manbig

The real question is if there are any situations where just taking a slight step with the backwalk to create enough space for a whiff is faster than doing a BDC.

You know how in real life it's really easy to break the ice with people with a joke? That shit does not work on the internet ever. You can try to make whatever you say sound tongue and cheek but someone will take that shit super serious and get offended.

lupinko

My only graphical gripe about tk7 currently is the hair. I know Unreal Engine is historically bad (since UE3 anyway I guess) for hair. Either that or Harada and friends can't render hair for shit or something. AM2's models still hold up well for VF5 and the hair isn't laughable.

Tho that could be relative recent nostalgia at work here.

Numb

Well, SailorMoonGAF loves Buffy and Tekken a lot.

It's a circle. Buffy and Tekken go hand in hand. Maybe this is the reason why female vampire beat the fish and average old man.

EDIT-

You were not joking about SailorMoonGAF and Tekken. All i did with that show is watch it on and off whenever i saw it tho.

AAK

My only graphical gripe about tk7 currently is the hair. I know Unreal Engine is historically bad (since UE3 anyway I guess) for hair. Either that or Harada and friends can't render hair for shit or something. AM2's models still hold up well for VF5 and the hair isn't laughable.

Tho that could be relative recent nostalgia at work here.

It's not just VF5, DOA5 from PS3 also blows T7 in the hair department.

Another thing how they're the same models from TTT2 pasted onto T7. There's always a massive discrepancy between the default hair styles vs the pathetic customs. I am beating a dead horse at this point but it still kills me to see this series settle for such meager standards.

You know how in real life it's really easy to break the ice with people with a joke? That shit does not work on the internet ever. You can try to make whatever you say sound tongue and cheek but someone will take that shit super serious and get offended.

ALWAYS use smily faces and emoticons when making humor in a forum post to a general audience. I too learned the hard way.

lupinko

It's not just VF5, DOA5 from PS3 also blows T7 in the hair department.

Another thing how they're the same models from TTT2 pasted onto T7. There's always a massive discrepancy between the default hair styles vs the pathetic customs. I am beating a dead horse at this point but it still kills me to see this series settle for such meager standards.

Well I wouldn't go that far on the models, I do see improvements from last gen vs Tekken 7 (not in the hair department).

But to be fair the series has never been mind blowing outside of ending cutscenes graphically when compared to its peers like VF or even DOA.

AAK

Maybe raw animation & character models from a technical standpoint Tekken was always slightly inferior to VF. But when looking at the overall presentation of the game complementing the comparably good models/animations Tekken was the showstopper. It also kinda shows where the series lifetime sales exceed 40 million and Tekken 6 combined with TTT2 only manage around 5 million.

lupinko

When playing DR after Revo yesterday I noticed they overhauled sorta Asuka's costume.

She somehow became CM Punk, or maybe Phil Brooks took from Tekken.

Similar boots and star placements on costume. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom