• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Maybe Capcom needs to announce something first.

wgeJLRt.gif
The cops have been called on you for the murder of me.

Man we're fucking strugglin' in here.

That's y'all. I got real world shit to deal with..
I'm not in it for the thrills/bab boys reference

But seriously, I'm gucci. Real Life and playing other video games tends to work wonders. I can't remember when i was bothered by a Video Game tbh...maybe New Vegas?

sasuke_91

Watch this.

Will make you feel better. (Maybe?)

Well, dayum... I kind of want to play T7 Hwoarang now.

Maybe Capcom needs to announce something first.

wgeJLRt.gif

Thanks, GrayFox, for making me fall in love with random Japanese girls o.o

My response to ZTS was just correcting his information. That's all. The EVO announcement show will have it's own content, which is yet to be announced.

Thank you for clarifying things.

Man we're fucking strugglin' in here.

Nothing to talk about in here other than the announcement. And when that doesn't happen people go nuts.
Blame Nintendo :p

I find it funny that I'll be playing a new Zelda before T7.

Well FFXV and The Last Guardian are available in stores before we even got a release date. Past me would have laughed long and hard at that sentence.

Maybe Namco is waiting for Half-life 3 to pop up or something~

---
Playing other games isn't helping me much with Tekken anxiety. Even though i'm enjoying my christmas haul a lot and next week is Fate/Extella.

I'm seeking some advice on how to use an arcade stick (a few months ago I did ask for for some advice here regarding using a stick but I got lazy again and got a PS4 very shortly after, so never really got going lol). So basically I finally hooked up my PS3 again and have been on Tekken for the last few days. I've been using a stick and have a question, how should I be holding it? I'm currently holding the stick between my pinky finger and ring finger, which is what Daigo said is the best. But looking at all these Tekken guides and players, I don't see anyone do that. Am I holding myself back using this hand position?

I'm seeking some advice on how to use an arcade stick (a few months ago I did ask for for some advice here regarding using a stick but I got lazy again and got a PS4 very shortly after, so never really got going lol). So basically I finally hooked up my PS3 again and have been on Tekken for the last few days. I've been using a stick and have a question, how should I be holding it? I'm currently holding the stick between my pinky finger and ring finger, which is what Daigo said is the best. But looking at all these Tekken guides and players, I don't see anyone do that. Am I holding myself back using this hand position?

Watch this: VesperArcade's how to use a stick part 1 and part 2. (It's old and for SSF4 but whatever, still useful)

Got to play T7 at Round 1 tonight, shame it's not the updated version and you can't even play versus on it (Well against the CPU but that's it). Mainly played practice mode to mess around with the characters that interested me.

GrayFoxPL

Got to play T7 at Round 1 tonight, shame it's not the updated version and you can't even play versus on it (Well against the CPU but that's it). Mainly played practice mode to mess around with the characters that interested me.

How was it? There's only 1 player machine?

Wait, there's tournament going on, stream?

How was it? There's only 1 player machine?

Wait, there's tournament going on, stream?

I mean they have like about 4-6 machines set up next to each other like how it should be but they aren't set up where you can play other people. Just play the arcade mode which is like 6 matches or play practice mode for 5 minutes.

GrayFoxPL

I mean they have like about 4-6 machines set up next to each other like how it should be but they aren't set up where you can play other people. Just play the arcade mode which is like 6 matches or play practice mode for 5 minutes.

I see.

I still find it ridiculous the whole online setup even for offline.

All right, I just got back from playing the game at Round 1!

Going at around midnight at BIG BOYS ONLY HOURS was a lovely way to discover my DL was expired. You bet your ass I drove all the way back home to find my passport :X

It's vanilla 7. There were only 4 machines, which was telling considering that this location is the one with 10 Tag 2 Unlimited machines that are thankfully still on the floor.

It seems the local scene was there. Got to play against a lot of cool people. There is local play, but no online battle, I didn't really get to explore the menu's though. Won enough for my liking, but it was irritating losing my cool a lot and getting repeatedly mauled by the standardized King T7 setup and DEATHFIST.

T7 vanilla is a little less smooth than Tag 2. It was similar, but different in terms of feel. Less "wiggle room", I guess.

As for visuals, let me tell you: seeing both the TTT2U and T7 cabinets next to each other was like... I had that moment where I thought "if I didn't know any better, TTT2 would be the sexier, more appealing game :^< " Despite the resolution difference, the motion blur, more realistic (if lower res textured) looking character models, and crazy shit happening onscreen makes for a better presentation. But hey, its vanilla. FR is supposed to be better. Still mad about T7 Leo being based off Revolution Leo instead of TTT2 Leo :(

I played Josie, Katarina, Chloe, and Leo. Katarina and Chloe are easy to win with using familiar buttons and fundamentals. They are fun, and I can definitely see myself playing Katarina short-medium term.

Josie is bae. She's so crispy. I wanna actually learn her.

Leo is Leo (bae x1000), but with new combos that I have seen x1000 times on streams but had trouble executing for real, seeing as how I used her for all my serious fights against other people (who were better :X) While standing 4, 1+2 was actually really hard to pull off.

Rage Arts:
Nicely balanced. Sqeezing those off is not a free ride and if you get hit with a bunch of momentum setups they will not save you if you're too minus.

Power Crushes: ... a good way to accidentally take a shitload of damage if you don't know what you are doing. They kinda get in the way, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of them eventually.

Tailspins: I got all of mine with characters I'd never played before and couldn't setup. Weeeee.... videogames are hard, I am trash.

Rage Drives:

Eventually, I found myself being the last one left at closing time, so I played through the arcade. 2 rounds per stage only, half the amount of stages compared TTT2U. Five credits per play. No Bana pass ghosts to fight. GG Easy Braindead Kasumi. Tag 2, for all of its easy filler, throws in Banapass ghosts to play against and at the end of the road, Jun/Unknown is a shit wrecker and credit eater by comparison. I am mad. Wanna bitch at the staff to turn the difficulty up but also don't want to be "that guy". Maybe just practice mode or lucking into a local fight from now on for me.

I'mma go play some more tomorrow.

Yup.

Went back today with the movelist printouts from the FR website. Played/Practiced with Josie, Katarina, Shaheen, Leo, and a smidge of Chloe. Spent a lot of time combo-ing into Rage Art with everybody.

Josie is definitely a medium skill character. Lots of time investment required, and I'm not made of money. She's still awesome.

Shaheen is pretty cool and has easy tailspins. His combo game is kinda slow. I wouldn't say you could improvise stuff unless you knew him.

Katarina is my new favorite. She's nice and flowcharts. Her punch launchers are slow, but the kick ones are nice. You kinda gotta get in there to combo into her Rage Art. I really wish her Rage Drive was available to play with.

After a 15 minutes, I adjusted to Leo's new combos. Was able to fight 3 real opponents and effortlessly combo. Changing Tian Zhang Strike's inputs in favor of an easy rage art makes sense, but it also obsoletes the move. It's much easier to mix up with other moves now. It was kinda irritating realizing that her new hop groundkick and screw punch combo were FR additions when I tried to do them :^(

Something I noticed today: The machines at Round 1 seem to be re purposed TTT2U bodies. They are beat up with chipped paint, slightly burned in screens, and the screen is not a 1080p one. The picture quality was square pixels galore. Kinda ew, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. At least the Sanwa buttons and joysticks were obviously fresh inserts.

sasuke_91

What do you guys think is the minimum time frame between the announcement of a release date until release for stuff like promoting the game and basically reminding the casual crowd that this game exists?

What do you guys think is the minimum time frame between the announcement of a release date until release for stuff like promoting the game and basically reminding the casual crowd that this game exists?

Whatever the company decides it to be? Usually you'd have to have enough time to make all of the marketing material.

Something else I've been thinking about. We really don't know the situation over there and considering how Beta Like Tekken 7 actually ended up being. I wouldn't be surprised that it got pushed out sooner than it should've been to make that money. People talk shit about SFV and rightfully so, but lets not forget how suspect vanilla T7 was when it first came out. Vanilla TTT2, T6, and T5 didn't have anywhere near the same weirdness that Vanilla T7 had.

sasuke_91

Whatever the company decides it to be? Usually you'd have to have enough time to make all of the marketing material.

That's what I mean. How much time would be "enough" to promote a game like Tekken? I guess that question doesn't have a certain answer though...

Something else I've been thinking about. We really don't know the situation over there and considering how Beta Like Tekken 7 actually ended up being. I wouldn't be surprised that it got pushed out sooner than it should've been to make that money. People talk shit about SFV and rightfully so, but lets not forget how suspect vanilla T7 was when it first came out. Vanilla TTT2, T6, and T5 didn't have anywhere near the same weirdness that Vanilla T7 had.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well. Just thinking about how late FR came out this becomes pretty apparent.

I think a few months is enough time to "promote" the game. They've already done some heavy showcases at events, so a few marketing reminders is all they need at this point.

I'm fine with the wait if we are getting a better version full stop, even if I'm thirsting to get into Tekken.

I'm gonna need a less laggy tv come release if I want to even think about playing casually competitive. Games like Rock band and the parappa demo have proven how much input lag there is. No wonder I've been bothered by HD era Tekken (besides the artistic, aesthetic and directorial issues I have with it...)

Their stated intention of doing more esporty/tourney thingies this year is going to be WEIRD if they can't get the game out well before EVO though. And if they can't make the 'early 2017' date i think it might finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some people.

Pachimari

I'm still thinking June 27. That would give them 4-5 months of marketing, and a chance to promote the console features and functions at E3. They could start out by outlining some things in February, and reveal Tekken Force in March, some music functionality and extra mode in April, and do character reveals up until June including during E3 where press were to get hands on the near final product. Although, there's nothing wrong with thinking it could release in April as well, since all of this can be achieved in that time frame too. I just think Nampo have been rather slow all throughout the arcade release, so why wouldn't they be during console release.

[edit] Fuck, I keep forgetting about EVO.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yup.

Went back today with the movelist printouts from the FR website. Played/Practiced with Josie, Katarina, Shaheen, Leo, and a smidge of Chloe. Spent a lot of time combo-ing into Rage Art with everybody.

Josie is definitely a medium skill character. Lots of time investment required, and I'm not made of money. She's still awesome.

Shaheen is pretty cool and has easy tailspins. His combo game is kinda slow. I wouldn't say you could improvise stuff unless you knew him.

Katarina is my new favorite. She's nice and flowcharts. Her punch launchers are slow, but the kick ones are nice. You kinda gotta get in there to combo into her Rage Art. I really wish her Rage Drive was available to play with.

After a 15 minutes, I adjusted to Leo's new combos. Was able to fight 3 real opponents and effortlessly combo. Changing Tian Zhang Strike's inputs in favor of an easy rage art makes sense, but it also obsoletes the move. It's much easier to mix up with other moves now. It was kinda irritating realizing that her new hop groundkick and screw punch combo were FR additions when I tried to do them :^(

Something I noticed today: The machines at Round 1 seem to be re purposed TTT2U bodies. They are beat up with chipped paint, slightly burned in screens, and the screen is not a 1080p one. The picture quality was square pixels galore. Kinda ew, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. At least the Sanwa buttons and joysticks were obviously fresh inserts.

Thanks for the write-ups. Looking forward to learning Josie.

Top Bottom