• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

sasuke_91

Haha!

And yeah the look of Tag1, T4, and T5 is top notch in aesthetics. Every one of these very pleasant to look at in it's own style. Tag1 has also the best looking backgrounds, my favorites at least. When you'll first play Hwoarang on huge outdoor temple stage, lightning tearing the sky, crazy details right to a single stone filling the ground, you'll scratch your head: "Where is that detail now?"

I forgot one thing Sasuke. You gotta play Tekken Bowl! Times when Tekken had fun minigames!

In terms of aesthetics nothing comes close to these games. I wish Tag 2 and T7 were this aesthetically pleasing.

There's an iOS app of Tekken Bowl I saw recently. Never tried it out and no idea if I should play stuff like that with a touch screen.

D:

At least it is next week finally

Friday, 11:59 PM, but next week

They only have next week and Monday and Tuesday of the week after that :p

Also, they'll announce the release date on Sunday. With a tweet.

GrayFoxPL

868da499261539ed2a470f40346346c027b2272f_hq.jpg

Hope that Kid Kaz story gameplay will be well done. Ewgf hitting Hei in the balls pls.

Tag 1 was the GOAT of the series.

Made many of my lifelong friends during that time.

Got the "tourney fever" from that game.

Many good memories from back then.

Even if the game(T4 too) was the classsic example of the term "unbalanced."

Special-mid SAFE EWGFs.
Super low health characters (Wang etc).
Super cheap characters (Ogres).

It was the true meaningful origin of tier lists. And by true I mean TRUE. The difference between Heihachi and say.. Roger, was night and day. In Tag 2 it's not quite as painful.

Despite all that, I still think fondly of the Golden Age of Tekken (T3, TTT1, T4).

/gafblog

Sometimes unbalanced makes for far more memorable, entertaining game, gets people talking.
Push for extreme balance can make for some dull shit nobody is excited about.

Btw wonder how players after all those years of experience and knowledge would handle T4 Jin today.

GrayFoxPL

In terms of aesthetics nothing comes close to these games. I wish Tag 2 and T7 were this aesthetically pleasing.

There's an iOS app of Tekken Bowl I saw recently. Never tried it out and no idea if I should play stuff like that with a touch screen.

T7 backgrounds are drab, dull, ugly and additionally lifeless because of that "All cpu power for netcode" shit. Awful. Tag2 at least had a beach stage with tekken 2 remix.

Tekken Bowl is fun because every character has different stats. Skinny characters have low power and are easier to aim with, but shit like Kuma has insane power and no control. Good luck hitting anything, lol. Cool stuff there too like all unique cyborg visions for erm... cyborgs.

It was always funny to me that Kazuya was as weak as girls in terms of power in this instead him being this super sayan they want to portray him now.

Never heard of phone Tekken Bowl, hmmm.

Edit:sorry for double post.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/821779205725835272

Is this from CG footage we haven't seen before?

Oh man, that would be so dope if we got a brand new CG trailer.

Since I can't play Tag2 I go back to older Tekkens.

Tag 1 Jun rules.

Love Jun. Of all the characters to be revealed in T7, I was so sure that she was a lock considering how this is the closing of the Mishima saga. She'll probably appear in an ending or two, but goddamnit did I want her to be a playable character in a canon game. :/

GrayFoxPL

Love Jun. Of all the characters to be revealed in T7, I was so sure that she was a lock considering how this is the closing of the Mishima saga. She'll probably appear in an ending or two, but goddamnit did I want her to be a playable character in a canon game. :/

I half expect her to show up in story mode as a character you fight against among others. Similar like in MKX where "half made" characters showed up for story purposes. Even though everyone expected all of them in dlc form, it didn't happen.

Tough it's a stretch expecting this I kinda have hope after Kid Kaz reveal. I wanna see Baek in this game.

Agreed.

Back when I started playing Yoshi seriously at tourneys people would ask me "WTF are you doing?"

I guess character loyalty was actually a thing back then that had meaning. The T3 - T4 era really defined the term "tier whore". Of course it means almost nothing now seeing as how balanced Tekken games have become.

And I do agree that unbalanced can make things fun. It did for me. I learned all kinds of cool ways to get around EWGF spam, or Ogre cheese.

One thing was that Yoshis sword sweep "crushes" special mids. Even as far back as TTT1, it would go under low jabs and WGFs alike. Not entirely useful, but cool to discover.

That and Yoshis 1+2+3(db1+2 then) taunt made him immune to Ogre's flame attacks.

Because players like to strive for something and, like you said, figure things out and overcome obstacles like top tier bullshit. I'm not saying Tekkens should have crap balance like the old games but what incentive players have to push their characters to the limit or even break it and figure out insane tech if, you know, basic stuff works for everyone, every character is similarly strong? "Why bother?" etc.

It's easy to see watching Hwoarang in FR. In earlier games players tried every possible mixup to try to get in dismantle opponent. Now he got such strong tools he doesn't have to be played differently then other characters. Even his combos got simplified to max, no matter if you watch Low High or random player, you'll see the same combo that consist of rff 3,4,b+4 S!. He's dull to look at now. Players don't try with him anymore because they don't have to. He is stronger now, but duller, flatter.

This kind of thing I don't like.

I'm kind of inspired to dig out my Tekken shit. You guys want to share your Tekken stuffs?

Edit: what are the chances we see some funko pops around release?

I hope Kotobukiya does some more Tekken bishoujo figures. That line has come a long way since 2012 and a Kazumi or Katarina or maybe Josie figure would be cool.

Since wonderfest is in Feb perhaps we'll see something there.

GrayFoxPL

I'm kind of inspired to dig out my Tekken shit. You guys want to share your Tekken stuffs?

Edit: what are the chances we see some funko pops around release?

Hope not. Ridiculously overpriced,ugly as shit and a nightmare fuel.

I hope Kotobukiya does some more Tekken bishoujo figures. That line has come a long way since 2012 and a Kazumi or Katarina or maybe Josie figure would be cool.

Kotobukia did pretty good job with Tag 2 ones. Few things were annoying. There were based on artwork where some of the costumes never made it in the game. Second thing was all those figures had one theme: "Lemme show you my ass!" Hey, I like sexy stuff but I wish for something more with T7 figures. Even Xiaoyu couldn't escape.

9A5v9b1.jpg

Omg I'd love to hear this.

I'd go crazy If I'd hear orchestral versions of Landscape Under The Ghost, Be in The Mirror, Emotionless Passion, Here Is The Point Of No Return and obviously Black Winter Night Sky .

I would have bought a Lili Kotobukia if it was based on her real costume. That thing was a disappointment, I have several for Street Fighter and comic characters and they're great, but Lili's design sucked.

Hoping for Katarina toys this year.

Kotobukia did pretty good job with Tag 2 ones. Few things were annoying. There were based on artwork where some of the costumes never made it in the game. Second thing was all those figures had one theme: "Lemme show you my ass!" Hey, I like sexy stuff but I wish for something more with T7 figures. Even Xiaoyu couldn't escape.

Well, that's generally going to stay. Shunya designs are like that after all. That guy has a bum fixation. His Kazumi drawing is one of the few modest ones.

But i mean the sculpts, paint and the faces have improved a bit if you compare the new ones with the older. Not on -all- of them but i feel there's been some enhancements overall. Most older ones are still good to great though. (Example: old 1 2 3, new 1 2 )

I guess i just want to say if they did a Katarina bishoujo figure right now it'd be sick, aha.

Also there's recently been some new Street fighter action figures and King of fighters nendoroids so perhaps that's on the table. I'd buy a Tekken nendoroid petit set so fast.

Pachimari

I sincerely hope so, but it seems they've slowed down on the Tekken figures. I really want that Josie Rizal bishoujo.

To be fair. That's the whole point of the bishoujo line. :)

GrayFoxPL

Yeah sex sells. I just mean those figures are very well done and I'd love to see non-bishoujo ones made by the same people.

GrayFoxPL

Man, I can't wait to hear those tracks either. I remember being scared of the Armor King stage as a kid, the music was very spooky to me lol.

Haha, yeah that track was surprising to say at least. "Suddenly Resident Evil?!" It gave sense of mystery to Armor King together with huge canyon vista and dry land. And those rattle snakes sounds, lol.

Yeah definitely, I would love a Bruce Irvin and Marshall Law detailed statue.

Same Bruce Irvin that Namco just killed off? Nah. Black Muay Thai fighter(and veteran Tekken character) has no chance against fanservice crybaby girl with huge breasts, popularity wise. Josie gonna get the figure.

sasuke_91

Same Bruce Irvin that Namco just killed off? Nah. Black Muay Thai fighter(and veteran Tekken character) has no chance against fanservice crybaby girl with huge breasts, popularity wise. Josie gonna get the figure.

Maybe make them bishounen? Fanservice works on both sides :p

Bishounen Bruce? How does that work?!

(A bishounen Hwoarang got announced at one point but it was silently cancelled later)

First4figures might do a Law (or Bruce) but it'd be after Jin, Nina and Anna I guess. And also only for rich people, ha ha.

GrayFoxPL

Bishonen Heihachi? So from Tag 2? Oh no.

Speaking of figures, VF just got those cool little beauties.
wulABQZ.jpg

It'd be awesome if our favorite blockheads from Tekken 2 got similar figures. I'd just throw all my money at them, haha.

AvrZFto.png

PEyS9sA.jpg

z3WLp6W.gif

4b5EcLI.png

OTfYQWa.gif

YhHFYtz.jpg

pjoiykZ.gif

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yeah sex sells. I just mean those figures are very well done and I'd love to see non-bishoujo ones made by the same people.

I'd like a Leo one, but only if it wasn't pandering pantyshots and poses.

Which isn't going to happen, they know their market.

LowParry

Aha. That explains the sudden influx of Tekken 6 streams on twitch.

That reminds me. Of all the delaymongering going on... TTT2 may see a bit of resurgence. Hopefully. People need something to keep them going during these dark times.

The times are good. I'm just tired of being the spectator and want to be the player.

The times are good. I'm just tired of being the spectator and want to be the player.

I'm just tired of waiting to put another fighter on my roster. I loved watching the Finals last year and I just wanna meme people with Yoshi and grapple some boyz with King.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Nuszka

I wonder if the game will have a staggered release (highly likely) with it releasing on a tuesday in US and Friday in UK, as the latter is my main account i might just get the US version. Talking about digital copy.
My guess is Namco won't do a Netherrealm and make you play with the region the game copy is from instead checking your ip region.

sasuke_91

Been playing solo mode TTT2 at locals out of sheer thirst :(

The thirst and frustration in this thread is real.

I wonder if the game will have a staggered release (highly likely) with it releasing on a tuesday in US and Friday in UK, as the latter is my main account i might just get the US version. Talking about digital copy.
My guess is Namco won't do a Netherrealm and make you play with the region the game copy is from instead checking your ip region.

It connects you to the people with the best connection to you, so you're gonna play with people from your region. At least it's always been like this in TTT2.

GrayFoxPL

I hope we hear about Tekken on Monday, next week is not "next Sunday evening at 11pm"

Exactly and the word about early 2017 better not be broken. There were no "maybes" there were no "ifs", early 2017 was repeated like a mantra, I won't take any excuses now. I don't give a shit Ed Boon gave Injustice 2 release first. That's what happens when you endlessly postpone release dates waiting for fuck knows what. Maybe Harada will now cry: "B..b..b..but Injustice! We can't now!" ?
That would be fucking pathetic.

So here's my Tekken stuff:

-Tekken 1-3 (PSX)
-Tekken Tag, 4 and 5 (PS2)
-Tekken DR (PSP)
-Tekken 6, Hybrid (with TTT HD and Blood Vengeance movie) and Tag 2 (PS3)
-Tekken Advance (GBA)

-Tenth anniversary collector's case for Tekken 1-5 discs (from T5 CE)

-Tekken anime (VHS)

-Tekken 1-6, Tag and Tag 2 stategy guides
-Tenth anniversary art of Tekken book (from T5 CE)
-Tekken 6 art book (from T6 CE)
-Tekken 6 character calender sheets (from T6 CE
-Tekken Hybrid artbook (from Tekken Hybrid CE)

-Tekken 5 and 6 collector's edition sticks

-Ling, Law, Jin and Devil Jin Tekken 3 figures
-Kazuya, Heihachi and Yoshimutsu Tekken 2 hard head plushies

Not shown: a few posters, my tat, a T5 Jin adorned mini basketball I won from a claw machine and the downloadable titles (T5 PS3, T6 PSP, T2, SFxT,... deleted Revolution)

I think that's it.

Now you. I know Markman has walls of sticks and most likely other goodies. I wanna see!

[Edit: forgot Tekken GBA. Added new pic]

GrayFoxPL

So here's my Tekken stuff:
20170120_213409r6si9.jpg

-Tekken 1-3 (PSX)
-Tekken Tag, 4 and 5 (PS2)
-Tekken DR (PSP)
-Tekken 6, Hybrid (with TTT HD and Blood Vengeance movie) and Tag 2 (PS3)
-Tekken Advance (GBA)

-Tenth anniversary collector's case for Tekken 1-5 discs (from T5 CE)

-Tekken anime (VHS)

-Tekken 1-6, Tag and Tag 2 stategy guides
-Tenth anniversary art of Tekken book (from T5 CE)
-Tekken 6 art book (from T6 CE)
-Tekken 6 character calender sheets (from T6 CE
-Tekken Hybrid artbook (from Tekken Hybrid CE)

-Tekken 5 and 6 collector's edition sticks

-Ling, Law, Jin and Devil Jin Tekken 3 figures
-Kazuya, Heihachi and Yoshimutsu Tekken 2 hard head plushies

Not shown: a few posters, my tat, a T5 Jin adorned mini basketball I won from a claw machine and the downloadable titles (T5 PS3, T6 PSP, T2, SFxT,... deleted Revolution)

I think that's it.

Now you. I know Markman has walls of sticks and most likely other goodies. I wanna see!

[Edit: forgot Tekken GBA. Added new pic]

2MUA2rm.gif

Top Bottom