• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

Manbig

Grayfox, the stuff that you're complaining about has already been debated pretty in depth a few posts back. Your Jin 1,2,3 example just means that there's another layer added to the string's built in mix up. To interrupt the 3, they would have to instantly use the invincible move as a prediction rather than a reaction. If you mix in 1,2,4 (which was always the option for anti sidestep) you will interrupt the invincible moves because they're not invincible on the first few frames.

Invincible moves are basically anti bullshit moves. Mashers need to learn how to set up their offense properly rather than start a string from range 1 - 2 and expect it to be a easy mode way to get in on people.

GrayFoxPL

Grayfox, the stuff that you're complaining about has already been debated pretty in depth a few posts back. Your Jin 1,2,3 example just means that there's another layer added to the string's built in mix up. To interrupt the 3, they would have to instantly use the invincible move as a prediction rather than a reaction. If you mix in 1,2,4 (which was always the option for anti sidestep) you will interrupt the invincible moves because they're not invincible on the first few frames.

Invincible moves are basically anti bullshit moves. Mashers need to learn how to set up their offense properly rather than start a string from range 1 - 2 and expect it to be a easy mode way to get in on people.

Invincible are easy mode bullshit moves. Just to make noobies and players who couldn't get out of the mixup one(hundred) too many times, feel like they achieved something. In reality they made their collision model disappear for meaty duration of frames, in which something retarded happens like opponent's move going through them. Like I said this stupid occurrence is exclusive to Revo and it'll make noobies trying to play grown up Tekken feel helpless.

I know you love this move, you don't have to explain more, I've read your posts.

TR = Trash Regurgitated

Namco focusing on this drek 100% and dumping Tag like a bad habit has earned them the title SELLOUT, IMO.

/TABLEFLIP

joeblow

I understand your side more clearly, but I definitely disagree about guessing. In Tekken guessing is minimized. There's no person who remembers every character's moves and options all the time even if that person has Korean blood. Nonetheless the longer you play, the more you remember and recognize from basic startup animations. At that point you don't guess, you react. At first you remember how 3 hit strings end, then hit 2 ones, when opponent mixes up you finally in high level learn that even if he breaks string 4 hit string in half he's either at disadvantage or at least I'm able to backdash or sidestep.

I didn't say it was just guessing. I said it is guessing "based on experience". Sure there are instances where reflexes do the job for a guaranteed result, like punishing on block, guarding slow lows, seeing arms as you break throws correctly, interrupting a canned string and hit confirming counters. But good players make calculated choices most of the time in this game because their good opponents don't over-use these telegraphed attacks too often.

Whenever you dance in and out and/or side step at mid range, you are trying to bait a whiff - that's part of the guessing I am talking about. When you throw out a mixup or guard against a really good one, it is guessing. Basic poke battles are all about guessing because the moves are too fast to see and react perfectly to every time.

All that guessing is still based on skill because whatever you guess, you do so for a solid strategic reason. Maybe you decide to let a weak low of a mixup hit you because it's better than getting hit by a launching mid that's near the same speed. Maybe you go for a low getting your opponent to eat three solid CH poke hits in a row. Maybe you side step/walk left against a Mishima at mid-range to help avoid CD attacks. None of these are guaranteed to work in your favor, but experience tells you that it is a good guess a lot of times to attempt these strats in these specific circumstances.
What hard earned knowledge and skill is mashing invincible on block or sometimes on hit even? Or not blocking, sidesteping or backdashing, countering, parrying incoming move. Instead doing one move that just goes through anything, and I mean anything opponent throws out? Is that skill? Firing up move that beats anything that is visibly coming up? In normal tekken when you see a move coming up but it's too late to think and do much about it, you automatically react with blocking (or sidestep if you're Korean or Doomshine), but then you have to think fast and do something, plan, react, do shit.
In Revo? "Oh dude rises his foot" - invincible! Truly Invincible flow chart.

Revolution teaches noobies one option instead forcing them to think for themselves of many. If I just wait and wait and launch punish invincible 1, 2, 3 times, what does a dude who won 100 matches with this "flawless tactic" do? Nothing, he just stands there, afraid. Because those 100 matches taught him nothing. He gets destroyed because the only thing the game has taught him, is not working. Then he sends hate mail, or make a room called "Don't combo spam" and I really saw that. One stupid move can people dumb and dumber.

If you believe this will teach newcomers anything, okay. I believe in opposite outcome. It'll make them dumber, and less skilled, then if they' have jumped into other tekkens unprepared.

I believe that learning good defense in Tekken takes a long, long time. It starts with being able to see holes in an opponent's offense to begin with. Knowing how to best exploit those holes while developing the muscle memory to do so consistently for hundreds and hundreds of individual circumstances is a never ending process.

I feel that normal Tekken's defense is too much to learn for a lot of average players to take on if they don't have the deep passion required to put in dozens of hours of practice on a regular basis - first learning where the holes are to exploit, and then knowing how and when to exploit them. Tekken R's invincible allows them to open their eyes to the first part. Later on, they may choose to play a "real" Tekken game and they will still be able to see those holes, and only then need to figure out how best to address them.

If you are correctly punishing the middle of a canned string you've seen a dozen times with an invincible as a newbie to the series, then you will still be aware of that same opening in another Tekken where there are no simple solutions. That's the positive outcome I'm talking about. Playing TR, they are not as overwhelmed by all the many, many, many, many, many defensive rules they would have to know to stay alive. They can then better get a feel for Tekken in general, and they can later refine the basics they learned in TR with a real version at a down the line if they get hooked.

DEATH™

I didn't say it was just guessing. I said it is guessing "based on experience". Sure there are instances where reflexes do the job for a guaranteed result, like punishing on block, guarding slow lows, seeing arms as you break throws correctly, interrupting a canned string and hit confirming counters. But good players make calculated choices most of the time in this game because their good opponents don't over-use these telegraphed attacks too often.

Whenever you dance in and out and/or side step at mid range, you are trying to bait a whiff - that's part of the guessing I am talking about. When you throw out a mixup or guard against a really good one, it is guessing. Basic poke battles are all about guessing because the moves are too fast to see and react perfectly to every time.

All that guessing is still based on skill because whatever you guess, you do so for a solid strategic reason. Maybe you decide to let a weak low of a mixup hit you because it's better than getting hit by a launching mid that's near the same speed. Maybe you go for a low getting your opponent to eat three solid CH poke hits in a row. Maybe you side step/walk left against a Mishima at mid-range to help avoid CD attacks. None of these are guaranteed to work in your favor, but experience tells you that it is a good guess a lot of times to attempt these strats in these specific circumstances.

I believe that learning good defense in Tekken takes a long, long time. It starts with being able to see holes in an opponent's offense to begin with. Knowing how to best exploit those holes while developing the muscle memory to do so consistently for hundreds and hundreds of individual circumstances is a never ending process.

I feel that normal Tekken's defense is too much to learn for a lot of average players to take on if they don't have the deep passion required to put in dozens of hours of practice on a regular basis - first learning where the holes are to exploit, and then knowing how and when to exploit them. Tekken R's invincible allows them to open their eyes to the first part. Later on, they may choose to play a "real" Tekken game and they will still be able to see those holes, and only then need to figure out how best to address them.

If you are correctly punishing the middle of a canned string you've seen a dozen times with an invincible as a newbie to the series, then you will still be aware of that same opening in another Tekken where there are no simple solutions. That's the positive outcome I'm talking about. Playing TR, they are not as overwhelmed by all the many, many, many, many, many defensive rules they would have to know to stay alive. They can then better get a feel for Tekken in general, and they can later refine the basics they learned in TR with a real version at a down the line if they get hooked.

Wat you are saying is not guessing... its coming up to your own playstle/philosophy and spacing. You don't have to read/guess anything to get a whiff, you just try to get away to opponent's danger range and wait till he screws up.

And yes, grown up tekken defense is hard, but it is for a reason. It counters everything in the game. No such thing as randomed out by a crush move or even making reads if you are just waiting for your opponent to do a bad move and it's done. But then moving around is a skill in itself so it balances out pretty well... the problem is people don't realize this... what they see is a bunch of moves and they often ignore the left handed part of the game... and giving them crutch isn't the solution... it makes it worse...

And yeah, to add to grayfox points, invincibles aren't add another layer of mindgames like others say, it's a crutch. And the fact that it affects so many parts of the game makes the game totally one dimentional.

Anyone else playing this right now and getting random connection drops? I don't think it on my end. At least I hope not.

Edit: Happened again I dunno whats happening, gonna quit for now. Was actually having fun too. The drops are weird we both get wins I know cause ran into the same guy and we both had a streak still going but it didn't drop the second time. Man I sorta feel bad for having four unearned wins. Although in 2 of those i was winning anyway but who knows what would have happened.

On another note arcade mode is still ridiculously easy on very hard. Only ran into mokijin so far and even he was really easy. You shouldn't be able to perfect the final boss lol. Might try some more arcade later.

joeblow

DEATH™;74355167 said:
Wat you are saying is not guessing... its coming up to your own playstle/philosophy and spacing. You don't have to read/guess anything to get a whiff, you just try to get away to opponent's danger range and wait till he screws up.

And yes, grown up tekken defense is hard, but it is for a reason. It counters everything in the game. No such thing as randomed out by a crush move or even making reads if you are just waiting for your opponent to do a bad move and it's done. But then moving around is a skill in itself so it balances out pretty well... the problem is people don't realize this... what they see is a bunch of moves and they often ignore the left handed part of the game... and giving them crutch isn't the solution... it makes it worse...

And yeah, to add to grayfox points, invincibles aren't add another layer of mindgames like others say, it's a crutch. And the fact that it affects so many parts of the game makes the game totally one dimentional.

Sure it is guessing. When you are feinting and baiting and all of that, with each action you are guessing that the opponent will fall for it so you can punish them. There is no instant penalty for guessing wrong, but unless you know EXACTLY what an opponent will do at a given moment with 100% certainty, it's a guess. It's an educated guess based on experience, but a guess all the same.

He's constantly guessing what you will do as well, but if his strategy isn't sound in the way that he adjusts to what he's guessing you will do, you should be able to beat him by playing smarter and executing better than he can.

Invincibles are a defensive crutch, we agree. I called them training wheels which is the same thing. But why are crutches and training wheels used in real life? Because a person can't walk / ride a two-wheel bike. Why is a crutch acceptable (IMHO) in TR? because it was designed to attract newbies and casuals who can't defend themselves as described above.

So what is the benefit of crutches and training wheels in real life? It helps the person get around and enjoy life instead of left out of all the fun everyone else running / riding around are having. The benefit of defensive aides in TR is so they can have fun with the offense while not being overwhelmed by their horrific defensive skills. They can improve bad defense over time, but with invincibles the non-swimmer can be eased into the deep waters from the edges very slowly (TR with invincibles) instead of being dropped head first right in the middle of the ocean (TTT2).

Is it enough for them to beat a pro? Of course not. As I said, if there were five skill tiers in Tekken (T1 being best), Tiers 3 - 5 are the most threatened by invincibles as they fight each other. T1 - T2 players get free mega-launchers with ease, and they can shake off being hit by one since they only take off the damage of a CH power poke while being knocked away to safety.

Now, would I like to see it added to the mainline Tekken series? Absolutely not. As a tool it can be effective between good players, but I agree with some of you that it dumbs down defense. I like having to predict what an opponent will do and then shut it down "manually". In fact, even in TR it is almost always better to play normal defense because the reward for guessing right is usually far greater than invincible damage. In the same way, crutches and training wheels "dumb down" the expierience of walking and riding a two-wheeler, but doing as long as an skilled person can have a far superior expierence without them, I'm fine with something that helps the less fortunate get around and enjoy themselves.

Manbig

You see, this is where I have issue with what you guys are saying. It's fine to not be a fan of the invincible moves. But saying that their only purpose is to be training wheels for people with shitty defense is what I take issue with. That may have been the intention by Harada's team when implementing them, but in practice, I think there's more to them than that.

For one thing, it punishes people that rely on gimmicky offense (like I stated earlier), now while there are other ways better ways to punish some of this stuff without invincible moves, there's just as many that you're forced to deal with due to the poorly thought out mechanics of the move. One of the prominent examples to come to mind is Lei's Razor Rush. One of the key things to dealing with Lei is keeping him the fuck away from you. Razor Rush gives him a nearly free way to get in on you and start with his mix ups with just about zero penalty. Even if he starts this bullshit from across the screen, you have fairly limited options due to just how versatile this tool is. The additions of invincible moves in the equation means that Lei has to actually earn it to get in your face and run his mix ups.

THIS is the thing that I like about them. Just like it gives every noob a defensive tool to deal with pressure, it forces every offensive jobber that relies on gimmicks to learn how to play "honest."

GrayFoxPL

Anyone else playing this right now and getting random connection drops? I don't think it on my end. At least I hope not.

Edit: Happened again I dunno whats happening, gonna quit for now. Was actually having fun too. The drops are weird we both get wins I know cause ran into the same guy and we both had a streak still going but it didn't drop the second time. Man I sorta feel bad for having four unearned wins. Although in 2 of those i was winning anyway but who knows what would have happened.

On another note arcade mode is still ridiculously easy on very hard. Only ran into mokijin so far and even he was really easy. You shouldn't be able to perfect the final boss lol. Might try some more arcade later.

Maybe rage quiters?

Could be connection. My old very stable router burned out and I can't get the new one to work as good, fucker doesn't want to forward ports, and I did it hundred times. I'm buying another one. Anyway in this one Revolution dropped connection if console MTU was too high.

So anyway, go to ps3 connection settings and drop MTU to 1492 or lower. I have MTU as low as 1458 and it works somewhat decent.

On another note.

That Mokujin festival looks funny.
Shame Mokujin Rush is just Arcade mode with Mokujin, Tetsuijin and Kinjin. Boring.

But you get many gift points. I won one more Mokujin ticket in ranked and I'm over 86 000 now. Soon next character!

THIS is the thing that I like about them. Just like it gives every noob a defensive tool to deal with pressure, it forces every offensive jobber that relies on gimmicks to learn how to play "honest."
Unnaturally holding yourself back because of invincible bullshit that helps every scrub stopping offense is playing "honest"? You're insane Manbig, maybe even bewitched by Namco ;).

But that's ok, I'm totally tired of this invincible shit. Jesus Christ. For me constant solid pressure always was one of key points for Tekken, this holding back and waiting for opponent to generously throw out a rulebreaking move, is not what the series has taught me when I was playing since Tekken 2. But some love it, noobs love it too, maybe even super defensive players like it. I wont force my logic on anyone. It's just too tiresome to discuss, though for me it's obvious and straightforward.

Degen

Turns out that the invincible moves punish brainless mashing and hard-to-deal-with gimmickry a lot more than they affect real, thought-out offense so I don't see a problem with them

the stat thing can go, lol

GrayFoxPL

Turns out that the invincible moves punish brainless mashing and hard-to-deal-with gimmickry a lot more than they affect real, thought-out offense so I don't see a problem with them

the stat thing can go, lol

That "hard-to-deal-with gimmickry" is called mixups and setups and "thought out offense" in Revolution is just bait, block and punish. Game would be at least 2x better without this noob aid, but then they'd lost the crowd they're aiming at.

Here I go again, I let this invincible nonsense get into me, and just annoys the shit out of me whenever it comes up.

I must ban myself to get some peace.

Doomshine

Sucks that you only get to fight 8 Mokujins at a time, but it's still a lot of gift points so I'm not complaining. Great that you get one ticket per day in EU too.

Manbig

Unnaturally holding yourself back because of invincible bullshit that helps every scrub stopping offense is playing "honest"? You're insane Manbig, maybe even bewitched by Namco ;).

But that's ok, I'm totally tired of this invincible shit. Jesus Christ. For me constant solid pressure always was one of key points for Tekken, this holding back and waiting for opponent to generously throw out a rulebreaking move, is not what the series has taught me when I was playing since Tekken 2. But some love it, noobs love it too, maybe even super defensive players like it. I wont force my logic on anyone. It's just too tiresome to discuss, though for me it's obvious and straightforward.

Speaking of "unnaturally" holding yourself back, what did a majority of the cast have to do vs Lightning Screw, Matterhorn, Edelweiss, Play Dead, all of the backswing blow style moves in the game, etc..?

News flash, this kind of bullshit already existed and a lot of them lead to juggle damage.

THAT is what's obvious and straightforward for me.

DEATH™

Speaking of "unnaturally" holding yourself back, what did a majority of the cast have to do vs Lightning Screw, Matterhorn, Edelweiss, Play Dead, all of the backswing blow style moves in the game, etc..?

News flash, this kind of bullshit already existed and a lot of them lead to juggle damage.

Lightning screw = slow unblockable that can be hopkicked. Requires to be setup in oki to work.
Matterhorn = short ranged launcher, and I mean really short, can be backdashed easily.
Edelweiss = long range low that can be hopkicked again, can also be spaced out to make opponents look silly...
Play Dead = grounded stance that can be sidestepped/sidewalked. Same with capo's RLX.
Backswing blows = short ranged attacks that I can still hit with dash attacks.

Unlike invincibles whose got decent range, cannot be crushed, too fast for what it does, crushes every attack, and it's so good that it applies on every single situation that it requires no thinking to use.

Manbig

DEATH™;74471499 said:
Lightning screw = slow unblockable that can be hopkicked. Requires to be setup in oki to work.
Matterhorn = short ranged launcher, and I mean really short, can be backdashed easily.
Edelweiss = long range low that can be hopkicked again, can also be spaced out to make opponents look silly...
Play Dead = grounded stance that can be sidestepped/sidewalked. Same with capo's RLX.
Backswing blows = short ranged attacks that I can still hit with dash attacks.

Unlike invincibles whose got decent range, cannot be crushed, too fast for what it does, crushes every attack, and it's so good that it applies on every single situation that it requires no thinking to use.

Lightning Screw - Not an unblockable, goes under mids, crushes highs, crushes lows, and is a launcher. This was only balanced in Tag 2. This move was an absolute nightmare to deal with in T6.

Matterhorn - The range is not the reason I brought it up. The reason I brought it up is because your offense has to go to a halt because it goes under a ton of mids and leads to very high juggle damage. Far scarier than these invincible moves.

Edelweiss - Unless you are at absolute point blank range, hopkicks will whiff and fall on the hit box of this move. Not just that, just like Matterhorn, you have to stop offense short because people like to sidestep into this shit and it goes under a lot of mids.

Play Dead - Once again, you have to stop your offense and respect this otherwise Lei comes up with a million different options that can hurt bad. Sidestepping a lot of these options is fine, but you can't punish him hard for it, or at all sometimes.

Backswing Blows - very few characters have a good option to chase down these moves. Unless you want to be super random and throw crazy shit out there, you have to stop offense and respect these moves. Very few characters have a safe tool like Jin's Demon Paw to throw out in a situation to deal with these moves. The only saving grace is that a lot of them got nerfed in Tag 2.

GrayFoxPL

Lol everybody online launch punished me when I played Tag2 Lars last month and did the Screw.

You're talking about good moves versus retarded that will neglect your counter hit.

Newsflash - that doesn't exist outside revolution.

You're afraid of Lei's play dead? Lolz.

Manbig

Lol everybody online launch punished me when I played Tag2 Lars last month and did the Screw.

You're talking about good moves versus retarded that will neglect your counter hit.

Newsflash - that doesn't exist outside revolution.

You're afraid of Lei's play dead? Lolz.

Read again. I mentioned that Lightning Screw was nerfed in Tag 2, but that wasn't even my point in bringing it up. My point is that far more obnoxious and scrub friendly moves existed far before the existence of invincible moves in TR, but you guys conveniently fail to mention this despite the fact that you had even less options to deal with them than you do with invincible moves in TR. In Tekken 6, Lightning Screw was incredibly reliable with going through highs, lows, and most of the mids in the game. It was the closest thing to a SRK except that he didn't need to FADC to get juggle damage off of it. Playing as Marduk, I had 0 mids to deal with this move. Even when Lars would put himself at - frames, I had to respect his offense just because of the existence of this move. Sound familiar?

About Lei's Play Dead, I don't know what Lei players you've been fighting, but Exalted is a pretty damn good Lei player, and I've played him quite a few times. I know the horrors of dealing with stuff like Razor Rush and Play Dead. ESPECIALLY when your character doesn't have good grounded hitting options to deal with it. I'm not even saying that it's overpowered, because it's not. But if your complaint about invincible moves is "waaaah I have to stop my pressure every once in a while because I can't handle that shit" well I'm telling you that there has always ALWAYS been a shitload of options in Tekken games that forced you to halt your offense completely. If a simple 30 damage move that's -100 on block is what you're gonna raise your pitch fork over, then you are clearly being selective and I have to question if it's not just you guys getting owned by the tactic and not being able to handle learning your way around a new mechanic rather than the mechanic itself being bad. It's another Soul Calibur 2 situation we have here.

DEATH™

Lightning Screw - Not an unblockable, goes under mids, crushes highs, crushes lows, and is a launcher. This was only balanced in Tag 2. This move was an absolute nightmare to deal with in T6.

Matterhorn - The range is not the reason I brought it up. The reason I brought it up is because your offense has to go to a halt because it goes under a ton of mids and leads to very high juggle damage. Far scarier than these invincible moves.

Edelweiss - Unless you are at absolute point blank range, hopkicks will whiff and fall on the hit box of this move. Not just that, just like Matterhorn, you have to stop offense short because people like to sidestep into this shit and it goes under a lot of mids.

Play Dead - Once again, you have to stop your offense and respect this otherwise Lei comes up with a million different options that can hurt bad. Sidestepping a lot of these options is fine, but you can't punish him hard for it, or at all sometimes.

Backswing Blows - very few characters have a good option to chase down these moves. Unless you want to be super random and throw crazy shit out there, you have to stop offense and respect these moves. Very few characters have a safe tool like Jin's Demon Paw to throw out in a situation to deal with these moves. The only saving grace is that a lot of them got nerfed in Tag 2.

Lightning Screw as in Kaz b+1+4 or Lars uf+3? but even then it still got bad range and just like hopkicks, you can't just throw it out when you are already getting pressured. Same thing with Matterhorn. You noticed people can only do this moves on a dashing opponent, not when you get hit by the first jab and trying to interrupt the second attack, because you won't even have a chance to do the whole thing. I guess you forgot the lesson about frame advantage.

And, you saying Lili's db+4 is that good? sorry, you are also one of those who admitted it's a slow low. Same thing with Bryan's Snake Edge. If you are having trouble with those lows, then you have to respect Jin CDS 4, which you downplay alot...

When we talk about pressure, we talk about Nina's twitchy SS 1 and Hwo Flamingo where you already got hit by the first attack and normal crush moves and backswings won't save you especially against a smart opponent (or you'll eat a CH). And now Invincibles come in, and that's gone.

Play Dead? Grayfox is right... You shouldn't be scared of that thing. Everybody got options on that. Even a typical slow lowcrush like AK scissors kick, Marduk jumping stomp and Jin 4~3 kills that if you want to keep pressing on. Again know your matchup and know your tools. Same thing applies with backswing blows. They are easy to punish too and also crushable.

You also dodged the thing we discussed at the chat before with Vargas, that universal invincibles add strength for some characters while others get stuffed, and don't get anything new. Zafina would suck since she relies on crush moves and adding another one don't give her advantage compared to Kaz who gets troubled when he gets lockdowned, and now he got a invincible, sick punishers and a projectile, no wonder main man loves TR.

Now if you want a boring game where you can win easily and your opponents (and the whole game itself) are predictable, then good luck.

Manbig

DEATH™;74485483 said:
Lightning Screw as in Kaz b+1+4 or Lars uf+3? but even then it still got bad range and just like hopkicks, you can't just throw it out when you are already getting pressured. Same thing with Matterhorn. You noticed people can only do this moves on a dashing opponent, not when you get hit by the first jab and trying to interrupt the second attack, because you won't even have a chance to do the whole thing. I guess you forgot the lesson about frame advantage.

And, you saying Lili's db+4 is that good? sorry, you are also one of those who admitted it's a slow low. Same thing with Bryan's Snake Edge. If you are having trouble with those lows, then you have to respect Jin CDS 4, which you downplay alot...

When we talk about pressure, we talk about Nina's twitchy SS 1 and Hwo Flamingo where you already got hit by the first attack and normal crush moves and backswings won't save you especially against a smart opponent (or you'll eat a CH). And now Invincibles come in, and that's gone.

Play Dead? Grayfox is right... You shouldn't be scared of that thing. Everybody got options on that. Even a typical slow lowcrush like AK scissors kick, Marduk jumping stomp and Jin 4~3 kills that if you want to keep pressing on. Again know your matchup and know your tools. Same thing applies with backswing blows. They are easy to punish too and also crushable.

You also dodged the thing we discussed at the chat before with Vargas, that universal invincibles add strength for some characters while others get stuffed, and don't get anything new. Zafina would suck since she relies on crush moves and adding another one don't give her advantage compared to Kaz who gets troubled when he gets lockdowned, and now he got a invincible, sick punishers and a projectile, no wonder main man loves TR.

Now if you want a boring game where you can win easily and your opponents (and the whole game itself) are predictable, then good luck.

Once again, you responded with a lot of words, but missed the point entirely.

The complaint that was brought up with invincible moves was that you have to completely stop pressure (at least pressure that isn't keeping you at + frames or sidestepping) to deal with him.

All the moves I brought up force the same situation in nearly every match up in the game.

Not all of those moves were brought up as examples of being too good. Lili's Edelweiss is very seeable. But how are you supposed to block it when you're in the middle of keeping up your offense? Oh yeah, you stop pressuring your opponent to block it.

Same thing with Lei dropping on the floor with Play Dead in various situations. What? You expect Marduk to throw out a random u/f+3+4 as a preemptive guess while attempting to keep pressure or to get Lei off his ass? Hope you enjoy getting floated into juggles all day long.

Lastly, you're bringing up this random conversation in a chat room months ago where Vargas was theorycrafting a situation that doesn't even exist in the game yet. Much like joeblow and myself talked about how that was pointless with Capos until they're added to the game, it's pointless to discuss how Zafina would deal with it until she is in the game.

We already have Ling and Hwo in the game. I only played AAK one time and he hit me out of invincible attempts using Flamingo traps TWICE. It played out EXACTLY as I said it would.

I've actually fought a few good Ling players online and guess how she handles it? She uses the sidestep cancels to dodge it or goes back to neutral to block it. She deals with it perfectly fine.

You see, this is the difference between our points Death. I speak from experience in playing vs good players. You speak from conversations that you've had with good players.

DEATH™

Once again, you responded with a lot of words, but missed the point entirely.

The complaint that was brought up with invincible moves was that you have to completely stop pressure (at least pressure that isn't keeping you at + frames or sidestepping) to deal with him.

All the moves I brought up force the same situation in nearly every match up in the game.

Not all of those moves were brought up as examples of being too good. Lili's Edelweiss is very seeable. But how are you supposed to block it when you're in the middle of keeping up your offense? Oh yeah, you stop pressuring your opponent to block it.

Same thing with Lei dropping on the floor with Play Dead in various situations. What? You expect Marduk to throw out a random u/f+3+4 as a preemptive guess while attempting to keep pressure or to get Lei off his ass? Hope you enjoy getting floated into juggles all day long.

Lastly, your bringing up this random conversation in a chat room months ago where Vargas was theorycrafting a situation that doesn't even exist in the game yet. Much like joeblow and myself talked about how that was pointless with Capos until they're added to the game, it's pointless to discuss how Zafina would deal with it until she is in the game.

We already have Ling and Hwo in the game. I only played AAK one time and he hit me out of invincible attempts using Flamingo traps TWICE. It played out EXACTLY as I said it would.

I've actually fought a few good Ling players online and guess he she handles it? She uses the sidestep cancels to dodge it or goes back to neutral to block it. She deals with it perfectly fine.

You see, this is the difference between our points Death. I speak from experience in playing vs good players. You speak from conversations that you've had with good players.

Here, let me keep this short... YOU CANNOT USE THOSE MOVES YOU MENTIONED WHEN YOU ARE ON NEGATIVE FRAMES. You just don't, it's not gonna have a chance to come out and you are gonna get CH, UNLIKE INVINCIBLES. Those moves you mentioned, there's WAAAY MORE options I can do to counter them aside stopping. If your theory is right about even Lars uf+3 else I would be hopekicking my way to AAK's Hwoarang. Which even that doesn't work

You are talking about how to deal with them, AND ITS PRETTY EASY, WE ALREADY SAID THAT. It's not our point. What our point is, THE GAME IS SO STRAIGHTFORWARD AND DUMB FOR A TEKKEN GAME. The invincibles are so good that THE GAME REVOLVES ABOUT PUNISHING THEM AND USING THEM. You add that invincible "yomi" in expense of Courterhits, Frame Traps, Unblockable Traps, Lockdown Pressure, Stances, and many more.

Yes, we know how to deal with them, it's not the problem. What comes up is you just don't want to deal with your so-called "gimmicks" that makes Tekken both extruciatingly hard yet so rewarding.

I guess you don't play Jack if you think invincibles have good range.

Well most of them does... and I think you don't have to worry about range with Jack anyways...

Well, most of them do. But yeah, Jack's can be a little lacking. At least it's a shoulder, so it can't be countered.

Honestly with the amount of reach the dude has overall I've never had complaints about it and use it only when needed.

I still dont know if I like Dragunov's invincible... it's weird.

Manbig

DEATH™;74496107 said:
Here, let me keep this short... YOU CANNOT USE THOSE MOVES YOU MENTIONED WHEN YOU ARE ON NEGATIVE FRAMES. You just don't, it's not gonna have a chance to come out and you are gonna get CH, UNLIKE INVINCIBLES. Those moves you mentioned, there's WAAAY MORE options I can do to counter them aside stopping. If your theory is right about even Lars uf+3 else I would be hopekicking my way to AAK's Hwoarang. Which even that doesn't work

Once again, I speak from experience here while you spout out the same nonsense. Go ahead and throw on Tekken 6. Connect with Marduk's 2,1 on Lars and try to follow it up with a d/f+3 or a d/f+4 or almost any mid while Lars mashes out a Lightning Screw. See what happens. The window for it to go under highs and mids was shortened in Tag 2, hence the nerf I was talking about earlier. This was not just an issue with Marduk. A large portion of the cast had trouble keeping pressure vs moves like this in Tekken 6 due to their screwy hurtboxes. Lars' b+1+2 homing move also goes under a lot of mids in these situations (and STILL does).

DEATH™;74496107 said:
You are talking about how to deal with them, AND ITS PRETTY EASY, WE ALREADY SAID THAT. It's not our point. What our point is, THE GAME IS SO STRAIGHTFORWARD AND DUMB FOR A TEKKEN GAME. The invincibles are so good that THE GAME REVOLVES ABOUT PUNISHING THEM AND USING THEM. You add that invincible "yomi" in expense of Courterhits, Frame Traps, Unblockable Traps, Lockdown Pressure, Stances, and many more.

Yes, we know how to deal with them, it's not the problem. What comes up is you just don't want to deal with your so-called "gimmicks" that makes Tekken both extruciatingly hard yet so rewarding.

You assume that it revolves around that because you fought a bunch of scrubs in TR that didn't know how to play the game and assume that is the metagame at all levels. This is where your argument falls apart. You put this tool in the hands of good players that have a chance to figure it out and the game plays very differently. There's nothing dumbed down about it at that level. You bring up counterhits and frame traps when I already told you a bunch of examples where they eat through invincible moves. You bring up unblockable traps that are gimmicky, barely (almost never) used in high level player (outside of stuff like Bryan taunt), and can still be set up with proper timing because, as I said many times, invincible moves are not invincible on the first several frames.

If scrub busting is the only reward you're looking for, then yeah, learning your way around the gimmicks is pretty satisfying. I'm looking for something beyond that though. I have played a lot of matches in this game. I gave the invincible moves a fair shake and see the potential for them. I didn't just beat up a few scrubs on my way to max rank, run into a 200 power dude that's spamming, get mad when he wins a round by two shotting me, and blame the invincible move mechanic rather than the dumb RPG mechanic.

I'm honestly done responding to this for now. You're only gonna repeat your same defense over and over again. "But hey, this dude said this! This dude uses Jin CDS mix ups so they're great! This other guy says that they're scrubby!"

Well I say that they're fine and have potential to make the game better.

Doomshine

This reminds of what Bronson said his strategy was at Evo when he was "mashing" out of every situation to force you to use your frames correctly.

DR2K

Banned
Invincible moves keep offense honest, but punishable when blindly used. I love the universal dynamic added. It's not just me blocking or during to whiff punish with an awkward movement system, or learning specific frame punisers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm really close to 15,000 points. If I don't get a character I'm at least SLIGHTLY interested in playing, I'm out. I love Paul, but dammit I need Leo or Bryan or Xiaoyu or something.

yeah i wish there was an option as well to buy characters but the onyl one I want now that's in the game is Bryan but that's it... it's a bit unfair.

EDIT:

I've only tried this on CPU and been wanting to test online but does Drag's d+1 now push down longer? I seem to be able to easily crouch throw using that now... way more useful if true.

also, fuck Kazuyas with lasers... I'd be fine with it if Devil Form reset between rounds but it gets stupid honestly.

after spending more time with the game, i find myself using reversals way way less. lili's matterhorn crushes a lot of mids and leads to 55+dmg. after unlocking alisa, i've come to realize her reversal is complete ass, at least compared to lili's. i rarely use it outside of combos/punishes. so i'm wondering how good every one else's reversal is. i notice that while playing alisa vs kaz, db+3 can actually trade with his reversal. not a very good trade but a trade nonetheless.

Manbig

after spending more time with the game, i find myself using reversals way way less. lili's matterhorn crushes a lot of mids and leads to 55+dmg. after unlocking alisa, i've come to realize her reversal is complete ass, at least compared to lili's. i rarely use it outside of combos/punishes. so i'm wondering how good every one else's reversal is. i notice that while playing alisa vs kaz, db+3 can actually trade with his reversal. not a very good trade but a trade nonetheless.

Kaz doesn't have a reversal. He has a sabaki on his f+2 I believe though. As far as i see it, it goes:

Parry > Sabaki > Reversal

Parry is the best because you can use it on the most attack types in the game.

Sabaki is good because they are sort of built in option selects in certain situations since attacks are built into them.

Reversals are weakest because 95% of them can be countered with a chicken and they lose the elbows, knees, headbutts, shoulders, dives, and a few others things.

Kaz doesn't have a reversal. He has a sabaki on his f+2 I believe though. As far as i see it, it goes:

Parry > Sabaki > Reversal

Parry is the best because you can use it on the most attack types in the game.

Sabaki is good because they are sort of built in option selects in certain situations since attacks are built into them.

Reversals are weakest because 95% of them can be countered with a chicken and they lose the elbows, knees, headbutts, shoulders, dives, and a few others things.
i meant the invincible move. the one that glows red. does it have an official name? they all have invincible frames, right? because alisa's maybe only has a few, or it just might be that lili has a great hitbox ontop of the invincibilty frames.

I don't see how this supports your argument. So Lars' u/f+3 for instance was broken in T6. People still complain about it post nerf. Now every character has a move like this and it's a good thing?

From what little I've played of this game, invincible moves either make matches really dull or really annoying. Not much fun either way.

Manbig

I don't see how this supports your argument. So Lars' u/f+3 for instance was broken in T6. People still complain about it post nerf. Now every character has a move like this and it's a good thing?

From what little I've played of this game, invincible moves either make matches really dull or really annoying. Not much fun either way.

Everyone has an invincible move. Everyone does NOT have a launcher that beats 95% of offense. The matches you're playing are dull because you're playing vs shitty people. It's a free to play game. 99.9% of the people that are playing are shitty.

Doomshine

Invincible moves don't launch for 50% life.

It's not good enough to stop them from ducking though. Nobody wants to deal with the low or the throw so they just duck and happily eat a 1+2. :(

I guess it's better than nothing. Law seems so much scarier with back turned.

It's a 26 damage safe mid that gives decent oki, they're going to start caring eventually.

Everyone has an invincible move. Everyone does NOT have a launcher that beats 95% of offense. The matches you're playing are dull because you're playing vs shitty people. It's a free to play game. 99.9% of the people that are playing are shitty.

Invincible moves don't launch for 50% life.

If someone has high enough power they do as much damage as my Leo combos I use to punish them :lol but I guess that's not the move's fault.

It's a 26 damage safe mid that gives decent oki, they're going to start caring eventually.

Yeah, I'm just being greedy from watching Rip's stream and seeing him get a launch from BT every time.

Top Bottom