• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

Doomshine

Those special characters are quite bit harder then usual cannon fodder. Their moves are mixed, and pretty sure they have modified frames and hitboxes.

I beat that gold freak, but Mokujin did me good.

Mokujin Festival should be now or 2nd next month, I'm not sure now. They throw lots of promo event shit after the update.

The only problem I had with gold Ogre was the surprise new moves that came out of nowhere and the fact that he used invincible moves a lot more than the regular opponents.

That air recovery to flame breath got me good the first few times lol

updated and got happy today for what i was hoping... was close to my next character unlock and waited till the update to see if I could luckly score my main (Dragunov) and guess what, got him yay!

it's nice to play him again since ive been playing with jack on this for so long.

DR2K

Banned
Alright how come no one told me this was the best Tekken on PS3? Feels like Tekken 5.

No shitty bound, no convoluted tag mechanics, beginner friendly moves. Pretty women's is also a nice update. Need Nina/Anna though. . . .

Still could do without the RPG shit, but it's not a major turn off as I thought it would be. Yet.

Might buy some DLC. Can you customize characters looks?

Alright how come no one told me this was the best Tekken on PS3? Feels like Tekken 5.

No shitty bound, no convoluted tag mechanics, beginner friendly moves. Pretty women's is also a nice update. Need Nina/Anna though. . . .

Still could do without the RPG shit, but it's not a major turn off as I thought it would be. Yet.

Might buy some DLC. Can you customize characters looks?

Why is bound shitty? It allows so much more creativity. The only character in this game that I play is Leo, and her combos are so ugly and unsatisfying compared to T6 and Tag.

Manbig

It feels good, but invincible moves and grinding for characters is seriously ass. ESPECIALLY grinding for random characters

Invincible moves are fine. The grind for characters is pretty shitty though.

I did hit the jackpot a few minutes ago. First new account I made since patch and Drag was my first unlock. He feels crazy strong in this game.

WR2 on CH leaves the victim closer. This allows you to just go right into jabs, b+2,1 or 3,1 to pick up and do a standard combo instead of using the iWS4 juggle.

CH d+3,4 gives the ass stun even if both hits connect. If victim doesn't tech the ass stun, free d/f+2. Very nice buff.

3+4 into tech left into WS4 juggles seem a lot more inconsistent due to axis in this game. Guess I'll stick with QCF2 for invincible block punish.

Since WS1+2 is a critical move, his easy ass b+2 into WS1+2 wall combo can do sick damage.

d/b+3 leaves you standing instead of crouching. You don't have to do a crouch cancel to land the d+2 juggle after it anymore, BUT it seems like you still have to slightly delay the d+2 or it completely whiffs. Gotta practice this more.

CH 4,3 into free stomp feels a lot weaker. :(

The juggles are pretty much what you can imagine them to be with no bound on TTT2 Dragunov. Launch into f+4,4,3, jab, f+3~d/f into the standard enders.

Soodanim

By and far. Feels like Tekken 5.
That's if you ignore the whole F2P/pay to play aspect of it or the potential to come across someone who has pumped a ton of points into strength and tips the balance a bit too much. Add the grinding, and you directly affect the enjoyment of the game. I personally went out and bought Tag 2 after playing Rev.

Now I'm damn sure I unlocked Alisa and Bryan already. Where the hell did they go.

I still can't get over the piss filter on the highschool stage. Did interns make this?

joeblow

Wow, I guess the game really doesn't penalize rank boosters who quit mid match. At least five players cut the network against me yesterday, and one of them did so while he was up for a promotion.

As I said earlier, my netwrok died mid game last week and a bubble popped up for me to try and send an update to Namco's servers to avoid a penalty. Because I couldn't, I get dinged with a disconnection rate tag next time I loaded the game. I imagine people who cut their network reconnect it right away in order to comply with the error message, unlike me.

So legit players get penalized but fake rank boosters don't? >=(

joeblow

I shelled out for two outfit packs...and they aren't coming up as selectable. WTF?

Game director Harada's twitter account is lit up with people in the U.S. complaining that none of the new DLC purchases are showing up in-game. His staff is looking into it.

I still can't get over the piss filter on the highschool stage. Did interns make this?

It does look darker than before.

The worst is the new Brazil stage from TTT2. Whenever the action moves into the shadows under the trees, I can barely see the players, let alone the attacks. There is no gamma setting in the menu, so I may have to tweak my HDTV settings (grrrr).

The snow stage is darker, but the colors are brighter than before - I like it. The desert stage above the rock cave is brighter and looks nice.

GrayFoxPL

Wow, I guess the game really doesn't penalize rank boosters who quit mid match. At least five players cut the network against me yesterday, and one of them did so while he was up for a promotion.

As I said earlier, my netwrok died mid game last week and a bubble popped up for me to try and send an update to Namco's servers to avoid a penalty. Because I couldn't, I get dinged with a disconnection rate tag next time I loaded the game. I imagine people who cut their network reconnect it right away in order to comply with the error message, unlike me.

So legit players get penalized but fake rank boosters don't? >=(

I told you. It's always like this. Rage quitting tards have their own community and tricks developed since first online fighting games were made.

joeblow

I didn't know that. Pretty sad. You would think that a pattern of disconnects could be easily tracked and dealt with more harshly.

I usually stick with unranked modes in fighters because it's all just for fun. I only play ranked in TR because there is no random opponent mode that's unranked.

Something to say about the whole disconect after 2 wins/losses:

I got a few disconnects on my end after I lost 2 rounds and then the session dropped... I didn't disconect myself it just happened as soon as the third round started -_- I would've honestly rather gotten the loss...

also, the buyable customs for Dragunov are horrible >_< I'd prefer they give is color options to buy for the base outfit (would love all black Draguonv clothes or red)

GrayFoxPL

Something to say about the whole disconect after 2 wins/losses:

I got a few disconnects on my end after I lost 2 rounds and then the session dropped... I didn't disconect myself it just happened as soon as the third round started -_- I would've honestly rather gotten the loss...

also, the buyable customs for Dragunov are horrible >_< I'd prefer they give is color options to buy for the base outfit (would love all black Draguonv clothes or red)

Dat clown outfit, lol.

Japanese must see him as very comical character since he always gets retarded outfits and customizations.

He should have The Crow outfit.

Dat clown outfit, lol.

Japanese must see him as very comical character since he always gets retarded outfits and customizations.

He should have The Crow outfit.

I miss his T5DR stuff where you could dress him better as generals and stuff...

I usually make one getup as a sniper type of dude, and then another as a cold weather soldier/general... i miss the old pipe you could give him.

Manbig

Dragunov is so damn fun. Almost as entertaining is the reaction of people that have never seen him before. Just wish that f+3 juggles were easier in lag, but it is what it is.

On thing I did notice is that "The Treatment" (b+4,2,1) does A LOT less damage. Still appears to give the same frame advantage that it used to, but I can't really test it to be sure.

Are you guys using stick or pad? I play ttt2 on 360 with a stick, I might need to get one for the PS3. This pad just ain't cutting it...

MonkeyKing said:
Are you guys using stick or pad? I play ttt2 on 360 with a stick, I might need to get one for the PS3. This pad just ain't cutting it...
I started out using a stick when I played Tekken 6 on 360 but converted to pad when my brothers play with me on pad. Also, I don't have a ps3 stick of my own.

Remember I stated before that Kazuya is fun, well right now I'm starting to get bored with him. I try practicing Alisa, but I'm too lazy to learn her moves. I really want to unlock Bryan or Dragonuv because those are the characters I practiced in ttt2. Right now I'm just too lazy in learning other characters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Been getting back into this since the patch, with my super scrubby Paul.

Strangely, this seems to be one of the few fighters where I can keep a W/L ratio of over 50% (estimated, at least, since the game doesn't track that, but I know I've won more than I've lost).

I swore off online modes in fighters a while back (too stressful for me), but I've been able to approach this one with a bit more of a chill mindset, for some reason. Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying it. Well, everything but my unlocks being shit (Steve and Dragunov? Fuck outta here.). Not that unlocks mean much for me since Paul is one of the only characters I'm halfway decent with (why no Jun ;_;).

I hope vampire girl will be free for everyone and not be a gift point unlock.

It might be me, but it looks like the colors, stages and graphics look better/more sharper or something since the update. One problem with rank is, the higher you rank up, the less people will want to play you in rooms it seems. Honestly, I get kicked out of rooms at least half of the time after waiting for so long or they just let turns skip over until players just start leaving. So frustrating and annoying. A quick search option would be nice.

joeblow

Yeah, I hit login #30 two days ago. Hopefully the bonus gold tickets keep coming every month.

I looked up he ranking list for TTT2 and there are over 30 titles it seems. I imagine it's the same for TR, but so far it only goes to #19 with the new patch which I already reached. I wonder why they don't just keep the cap open instead of boosting it a mere four levels every month or so. Seems kind of slow.

Manbig

Yeah, I hit login #30 two days ago. Hopefully the bonus gold tickets keep coming every month.

I looked up he ranking list for TTT2 and there are over 30 titles it seems. I imagine it's the same for TR, but so far it only goes to #19 with the new patch which I already reached. I wonder why they don't just keep the cap open instead of boosting it a mere four levels every month or so. Seems kind of slow.

This is the world of Free to Play. It's similar to how MMO end game raid content is designed. You have to slowly drip out the "content" so people keep coming back. Slowly raising the rank limit is just another way of doing this. It also makes all the shitty players that reached top rank earlier feel better about themselves so they stick around. The more this cap is raised though, the more separated the trash will be from the rest. At least that's how I think it MIGHT play out...

Man I can't get used to Leo's new face. It's not even that she suddenly has an out of place petite Asian girl face, it's the way it looks so squashed. Like it doesn't physically fit correctly or something.

joeblow

This is the world of Free to Play. It's similar to how MMO end game raid content is designed. You have to slowly drip out the "content" so people keep coming back. Slowly raising the rank limit is just another way of doing this. It also makes all the shitty players that reached top rank earlier feel better about themselves so they stick around. The more this cap is raised though, the more separated the trash will be from the rest. At least that's how I think it MIGHT play out...

Well, for players who are really into the ranking thing, doesn't this system discourage them from playing when they hit the ceiling? I knocked out the four new ranks in a day. If I only fought for that purpose (which I personally don't), I might play TR a lot less until the next update in a month or so.

Perhaps they should have made it harder to rank up instead (i.e. quadruple the requirements needed to advance). I don't care either way, but it just seems like a strange system that should be more of an incentive to keep playing.

Manbig

Well, for players who are really into the ranking thing, doesn't this system discourage them from playing when they hit the ceiling? I knocked out the four new ranks in a day. If I only fought for that purpose (which I personally don't), I might play TR a lot less until the next update in a month or so.

Perhaps they should have made it harder to rank up instead (i.e. quadruple the requirements needed to advance). I don't care either way, but it just seems like a strange system that should be more of an incentive to keep playing.

It doesn't do that because it is compounded on top of the leveling up and the gift point system. People want to max out their characters, get the new characters, etc...

GrayFoxPL

Tekken and Tag had 1-9 kyu' ranks. Here rank up is much faster and players are much worse. 12 dans are on 4-5 dan level in "big" Tekkens in lite comparison.

On similar note:
I said this before, but I feel sorry for players new to the series because Revo is a game that will not teach them Tekken. If they switch to the "real" games they'll get destroyed by sheer pressure game, because Revo doesn't teach to backdash, sidestep or even d+1 to stop pressure strings it teaches to invincible for free escape.

If it happens and they'll feel cheated, it's because they did.

Oldschool Jin preassure setup is 1,2,3, 1~3,3, uf+1+2. Very good players in T6 and Tag2 know they can jab, or down jab Jin after 1,2, before 3, or they can sidestep or backdash. In Revo they can just invincible between those moves, but does it teach them all of the things above? No. They have no idea. That's why invincible make them unimaginative and they'll be left clueless when "no more invincible" moves will not help them.
Revo is a good "side" game with it's own set of rules, in which bigger part plays patience and provoking invincibles instead of aggressive pressure and close mixups but it not should be viewed as a Tekken Introduction of new players. It looks like mix of T5 and Tag2 solo but it doesn't play like any of them apart of usual T5 style juggles.

I play Jin very straightforward here. Hopkick, or backdash or, backdash b+1, into whatever launcher, combo, f+4 ball kick when they're down, because b+2,1 doesn't relaunch when they roll, and they always roll. They're at the wall by now - wallsplat, round over.
When they mash invincibles, empty crouch dash or whatever scares them, block that dumb invincible, d+3+4 launcher, half bar gone, repeat ball kick, wall, round over, get kicked out of the room.
It's simple. I like it. But it's very simple.

Another thing Revo doesn't teach newcomers is how to get up properly, because you can't relaunch backrollers. The rule in Tekken is don't backroll unless you're 30 miles away from your opponent. You just get picked up and juggled. Here you can hit backrollers but only once, it's too little to teach them not to do that.

On another note I fought Hwoarang with...
iIKagFU2i5MTc.jpg
ix6yXj1jxoifp.jpg
..........198 Power.
It was retarded. His invincible took half or more of health bar.
My reaction was:
ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

Namco -
iblJSlC6okyBAN.gif

pls stop.

joeblow

I said this before, but I feel sorry for players new to the series because Revo is a game that will not teach them Tekken. If they switch to the "real" games they'll get destroyed by sheer pressure game, because Revo doesn't teach to backdash, sidestep or even d+1 to stop pressure strings it teaches to invincible for free escape.

Another way to look at it is tat knowing when to backdash or sidestep or d+1 to stop pressure requires a ton of experience in losing to pressure. One has to be motivated to be defeated a thousand times just to get halfway consistent at slowing good, aggressive opponents down. Newbies may not even see the small holes in someone's offense, let alone be aware of the best way to deal with it when here are so many defensive tools (also including reversals, parries, crushes, etc.).

So that brings us to the invincible in TR, which is an effective tool to escape a ton of custom attack strings all by itself. At minimum, a newbie can now recognize the holes with less experience knowing they can try to use one, good answer to most pressure problems they are dealing with.

Now, if they ever move on to TTT2, they actually have a bit of a head start because they'll at least have a better feel for the gaps in a character's aggressive tactics. They can then focus on finding the best conventional defensive option to protect themselves without feeling overwhelmed and completely powerless.

Even advanced players don't have the perfect response for every offensive strategy out there, but they understand the process for figuring it out over time. TR hopefully helps newbies towards that direction with the defensive training wheels that the game has, which also includes a better back roll for them to escape okizeme more easily.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I think I just went from enjoying this game to thinking it's absolute bullshit. I hadn't realized before that it uses the ranks (Fighter, Brawler, Master, etc) for matchmaking instead of your level. So somehow I'm fighting people 20 or 30 levels higher than me with extremely powerful characters and 100+ wins compared to my 24 just because they're within 2 ranks of me. Are people just purposely losing all of their promotion matches to stay at the lower ranks for easier victories or something?

GrayFoxPL

[...]
Now, if they ever move on to TTT2, they actually have a bit of a head start because they'll at least have a better feel for the gaps in a character's aggressive tactics. They can then focus on finding the best conventional defensive option to protect themselves without feeling overwhelmed and completely powerless.

Even advanced players don't have the perfect response for every offensive strategy out there, but they understand the process for figuring it out over time. TR hopefully helps newbies towards that direction with the defensive training wheels that the game has, which also includes a better back roll for them to escape okizeme more easily.

That's what I was getting at, but not in optimistic way of seeing things. Invc is such unrealistically good tool, new player don't even think of trying anything else playing now. More so it just makes for impossible "normal" tekken situations. Like eg someones running at you and does a generic 3 jump kick that causes guard stun. In Revo you can fire up Invc just few frames before getting hit and you almost glitch out because the polygons are clashing when character who's supposed to be hitting goes through invincible model and get counter hit instead. You can do that with anything. You can neglect opponent's priority frames with invincible, and that brakes one of the tekken rules. I kept getting invincible hit because of this. Say I am in the middle of animation of my move say Jin's f+4 kick and is like 3-4 more frames until it connects with the guy's Leo who starts doing f+1+2(Invincible). My brain has it written like in stone that I'll get a counter hit on because that's how it was taught for nearly 2 decades. Revo just throws that away, and makes for something that will not happen in any other Tekken other then this.

So it goes both ways, if newcomers are "raised" on Revolution and go from there, what they'll find? Basic rules that don't fit with what they've been taught. Because you suddenly can't hit opponent when he was early in his attack and you were extremely late like in Revolution. There are sabakis, high, low crush, etc. But general rule is always there.

I don't understand how better backroll can help newbies in other tekkens?It will kill them there. If anything It should be worse in Revo to teach them it's bad stuff.

I'm afraid people that got very used to Revolution, will have hell of a headache understanding "normal" Tekken rules.

GrayFoxPL

Okay, I think I just went from enjoying this game to thinking it's absolute bullshit. I hadn't realized before that it uses the ranks (Fighter, Brawler, Master, etc) for matchmaking instead of your level. So somehow I'm fighting people 20 or 30 levels higher than me with extremely powerful characters and 100+ wins compared to my 24 just because they're within 2 ranks of me. Are people just purposely losing all of their promotion matches to stay at the lower ranks for easier victories or something?

You level up whenever win or lose.
You rank up if you win, rank down if you lose.

So people with high level say 30 lvl but rank of eg disciple, mentor are probably very bad, so don't be afraid. Just whoop their ass.

joeblow

That's what I was getting at, but not in optimistic way of seeing things. Invc is such unrealistically good tool, new player don't even think of trying anything else playing now. More so it just makes for impossible "normal" tekken situations. Like eg someones running at you and does a generic 3 jump kick that causes guard stun. In Revo you can fire up Invc just few frames before getting hit and you almost glitch out because the polygons are clashing when character who's supposed to be hitting goes through invincible model and get counter hit instead. You can do that with anything. You can neglect opponent's priority frames with invincible, and that brakes one of the tekken rules. I kept getting invincible hit because of this. Say I am in the middle of animation of my move say Jin's f+4 kick and is like 3-4 more frames until it connects with the guy's Leo who starts doing f+1+2(Invincible). My brain has it written like in stone that I'll get a counter hit on because that's how it was taught for nearly 2 decades. Revo just throws that away, and makes for something that will not happen in any other Tekken other then this.

So it goes both ways, if newcomers are "raised" on Revolution and go from there, what they'll find? Basic rules that don't fit with what they've been taught. Because you suddenly can't hit opponent when he was early in his attack and you were extremely late like in Revolution. There are sabakis, high, low crush, etc. But general rule is always there.

I don't understand how better backroll can help newbies in other tekkens?It will kill them there. If anything It should be worse in Revo to teach them it's bad stuff.

I'm afraid people that got very used to Revolution, will have hell of a headache understanding "normal" Tekken rules.

Yeah, I guess I do see the glass as half full for those with enough satisfaction in TR to possibly take on and ultimately learn how to play TTT2 or later.

The core mechanics of good defense in non-TR Tekken game play is one of the most complex systems in the genre. As a newbie, it takes a loooong time to figure out how not to get popped into the air with ease, how to get off the ground (relatively) unmolested, and how to stop insane custom poke strings coming your way.

So now we have Tekken with training wheels for those type of players. Namco has nerfed the effectiveness of okizeme inflicted by seasoned pros because newbies can barely get up and walk straight without the improved tech roll. They nerfed the effectiveness of constant poking and power mix-up pressure with the invincibles because newbies barely know which defensive tool to use, let alone when and where to use it.

These training wheel features at least allows them to do "something" to help themselves stay alive while they figure out the general flow of the game.Namco isn't forcing them to figure it all out at once in order to win some matches. That way they can focus on a lot of other details that old school players take for granted.

When they move on to a "normal" tekken game, they at least have some experience with the feel of the game and can then move to the next level of understanding that you are describing where defense is a thousand times more nuanced.

In the end, Tekken defense is an guessing game based on experience anyway. You can SS 'n punish, crush, interrupt, backdash 'n punish, parry, reverse and so on. But you are still just guessing. Invincible defense is guessing if an opponent will attack you or not while you have enough frames to interrupt, but it is still simply guessing.

In all cases (TTT2 and TR), if you guess wrong against a smart opponent who is reading you carefully, it's going to hurt. Thankfully vs. invincibles, you can REALLY punish them if you block it, and if they hit you with one it doesn't hurt too bad. I think it is balanced while still being effective crutches for those who have a hard time learning too much about defense all at once.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, I guess I do see the glass as half full for those with enough satisfaction in TR to possibly take on and ultimately learn how to play TTT2 or later.

The core mechanics of good defense in non-TR Tekken game play is one of the most complex systems in the genre. As a newbie, it takes a loooong time to figure out how not to get popped into the air with ease, how to get off the ground (relatively) unmolested, and how to stop insane custom poke strings coming your way.

So now we have Tekken with training wheels for those type of players. Namco has nerfed the effectiveness of okizeme inflicted by seasoned pros because newbies can barely get up and walk straight without the improved tech roll. They nerfed the effectiveness of constant poking and power mix-up pressure with the invincibles because newbies barely know which defensive tool to use, let alone when and where to use it.

These training wheel features at least allows them to do "something" to help themselves stay alive while they figure out the general flow of the game.Namco isn't forcing them to figure it all out at once in order to win some matches. That way they can focus on a lot of other details that old school players take for granted.

When they move on to a "normal" tekken game, they at least have some experience with the feel of the game and can then move to the next level of understanding that you are describing where defense is a thousand times more nuanced.

In the end, Tekken defense is an guessing game based on experience anyway. You can SS 'n punish, crush, interrupt, backdash 'n punish, parry, reverse and so on. But you are still just guessing. Invincible defense is guessing if an opponent will attack you or not while you have enough frames to interrupt, but it is still simply guessing.

In all cases (TTT2 and TR), if you guess wrong against a smart opponent who is reading you carefully, it's going to hurt. Thankfully vs. invincibles, you can REALLY punish them if you block it, and if they hit you with one it doesn't hurt too bad. I think it is balanced while still being effective crutches for those who have a hard time learning too much about defense all at once.

I understand your side more clearly, but I definitely disagree about guessing. In Tekken guessing is minimized. There's no person who remembers every character's moves and options all the time even if that person has Korean blood. Nonetheless the longer you play, the more you remember and recognize from basic startup animations. At that point you don't guess, you react. At first you remember how 3 hit strings end, then hit 2 ones, when opponent mixes up you finally in high level learn that even if he breaks string 4 hit string in half he's either at disadvantage or at least I'm able to backdash or sidestep.

Someone could say: "Alisa can't surprise me much, I fought this great Alisa players 500 times, though Fengs own me, I don't know much about him."

Or even some people are skilled in blocking and evading certain moves, but not others. But this is also skill, not guessing, even if not in the "full package".

The biggest guessing occurs when both characters are at equal ground before attacking trying to "sniff" themselves.

Of course mixups must work to an extend, game would become some time-out carnival instead. But most of it is hard earned skill and knowledge.
What hard earned knowledge and skill is mashing invincible on block or sometimes on hit even? Or not blocking, sidesteping or backdashing, countering, parrying incoming move. Instead doing one move that just goes through anything, and I mean anything opponent throws out? Is that skill? Firing up move that beats anything that is visibly coming up? In normal tekken when you see a move coming up but it's too late to think and do much about it, you automatically react with blocking (or sidestep if you're Korean or Doomshine), but then you have to think fast and do something, plan, react, do shit.
In Revo? "Oh dude rises his foot" - invincible! Truly Invincible flow chart.

Revolution teaches noobies one option instead forcing them to think for themselves of many. If I just wait and wait and launch punish invincible 1, 2, 3 times, what does a dude who won 100 matches with this "flawless tactic" do? Nothing, he just stands there, afraid. Because those 100 matches taught him nothing. He gets destroyed because the only thing the game has taught him, is not working. Then he sends hate mail, or make a room called "Don't combo spam" and I really saw that. One stupid move can people dumb and dumber.

If you believe this will teach newcomers anything, okay. I believe in opposite outcome. It'll make them dumber, and less skilled, then if they' have jumped into other tekkens unprepared.

Edit: I forgot one funny thing. You said invincible doesn't hurt that bad...
iLdGGx8I5pd56.gif

Get counter hit by it boosted to 198 Power. Then tell me how it hurt ;D.

Top Bottom