• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

I can sorta beat people that know what they're doing..then I lose to people just mindlessly button mashing.

So close to going back to SF4

Sayah

Forest/Steve

I mean I try to sidestep, but I can never get an attack in..mix it with High/Low over and over

Unfortunately, Steve got heavily nerfed since T6. But focus on the key set of moves that each of your characters has that are fast, can wall splat, can crush lows and are good for punishing. I can't offer much help with Forest and Steve since I don't use them much. But I will try to go into practice with them and see if I can offer any help.

Edit: To give an example from my own characters, Nina has u/f+4 which is good for all of the things I listed above. She has b+1 which is good for punishing people that won't stop jabbing/doing d/f+1 (MIGUEL players). Anna has Aphrodite's Scorn (f+2+3) and u+3 as well. They're all good moves for interrupting the opponents mixup games as well as for handling people that spam/mash.

Unfortunately, Steve got heavily nerfed since T6. But focus on the key set of moves that each of your characters has that are fast, can wall splat, can crush lows and are good for punishing. I can't offer much help with Forest and Steve since I don't use them much. But I will try to go into practice with them and see if I can offer any help.

This game has A lottt of mechanics to remember off the fly

so which attacks from Armor King and King are actually blockable? lol fuck this game

salt

Sayah

so which attacks from Armor King and King are actually blockable? lol fuck this game

salt

Heading to practice with Forest right now. Will let you know shortly. lol
Or we can do an online practice session if you want.

Sayah

Two things right off the bat with Forest, if you want to do jab pressure, his forward + 2 is very good. Also use his 3 move from short distance. It can lead to juggle damage on counter hit.

Edit: Also use his d/f+1.
3,4 is good too.
3+4 from a short distance is good.

Are you on XBL? If so GT: Count Blackule

Oh nah, PSN. :/

Seriously upset that we dont have the save screenshot feature back. Jun's ass in her formal pants is amazing. Not only that though but I'd love to get some screencaps from a lot of the endings. Pausing and print screening shit from youtube is not cutting it. 99% of the time shit's all blurry. I need to invest in a capture card.

Degen

salt
Just avoid King's moonsault and lariat and the other lariat and hurricanrana and charged-up capital punishment and the kick that comes after 2 jaguar steps and AK's moonsault and hurricanrana and shoryuken and green mist and f,N,d,df+3 kick

and the throws

all 500 of them

especially the throws that do a juggle's worth of damage

don't forget the throws that catch you ducking, on the ground, in the air, bound'd, standing while THEY'RE ducking, against a wall, or getting countered with at least 5 different moves including the long-range low punch that results in like 70 damage

just avoid those things

and if King starts sidestepping, MAKE NO SUDDEN MOVES

Just avoid King's moonsault and lariat and the other lariat and hurricanrana and charged-up capital punishment and the kick that comes after 2 jaguar steps and AK's moonsault and hurricanrana and shoryuken and green mist and f,N,d,df+3 kick

and the throws

all 500 of them

don't forget the throws that catch you ducking, on the ground, in the air, bound'd, standing while THEY'RE ducking, against a wall, or getting countered with at least 5 different moves including the long-range low punch that results in like 70 damage

just avoid those things

Okay, so when I face King or Armor King, just quit before shit gets real. Gotcha :p

Sayah

Hey count, this is what I could get with Forest.

Jab pressure:
f+2
d/f+1

Good for quick punishing/jab pressure:

Good for using with short distance from opponent:
3 (leads to juggle on counter hit)
d+3,3 (also a good low)
d+4,3 (also a good low) - once first hit connects, second hit is confirmed to also hit.
f,f+3

Good lows:
d/b+3
d/f+3+4
d/b+4 (move is easily punishable on block but is still good to use during mixups). If the move connects, make sure to do full combo, which is: d/b+4, 4, b+4,3.

High/Low mixup moves:
d/f+3,3,3. Once you get the second low hit to connect, then the third hit will do damage regardless of whether or not your opponent is standing guard or not.
d/f+1,3
u/f+1,3

Bound Moves:
f (hold) + 2,2,2,
f+1+2
b+2,2
b+2,3
f,f+4,3
f+4,3,2

Launchers:
d/f+2
u/f+4 (quick - good for punishing)
d+2,3
d/f+4,3
d+3+4, 3
b+2,3,4
u/f+3,4
u/f (hold) +3,4

Tracking move (good against opponents that sidestep a lot):
b+3
b+4

Rising Moves:
1,2 (good for punishing low attacks on block)
2 (good for punishing low sweep attacks like Lili's d/b+4 or Bryan's d/b+3). Note: punishable on block.

Sidestep moves:
3+4 (good to use when sidestepping near opponent)

Launcher grab:
f,f+3+4 (use often when opponent is blocking a lot)

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Sayah, do you have any advice for JayCee and/or Angel? From what I gathered, Angel being a Mishima means you need to work on movement in order to bait your opponent and punish with EWGF; then there's the low/low or low/med mix-up from f, d, d/f 4,4_4,3.

My biggest hurdle so far is the movement practice; need to do it more.

Sayah

Sayah, do you have any advice for JayCee and/or Angel? From what I gathered, Angel being a Mishima means you need to work on movement in order to bait your opponent and punish with EWGF; then there's the low/low or low/med mix-up from f, d, d/f 4,4_4,3.

My biggest hurdle so far is the movement practice; need to do it more.

Will practice combos with Angel/Jaycee tomorrow and post them here. :)

DEATH™

Forest/Steve

I mean I try to sidestep, but I can never get an attack in..mix it with High/Low over and over

I can't speak for forest, but I can with steve.

Steve relies on constant pressure with all his safe stuff (but that isn't his main damage), his big damage comes from people trying to stop that pressure by being aggressive (by getting counterhits). He's basically a setup character in that regard.

First of all, almost all of his moves have use. You need to get familiar with his moveset, what comes out on standing, DCK/SWY/WVE/ALB, Flicker and Peakaboo stances. I recommend you watching Hajime no Ippo... Seriously.

Second, devise all the CH setups you can do. b+1 is awesome, despite nerfed. His launchers are pretty slow, but you can make setups out of it. Not only that, most of them are taggable.

Top Moves:
b+1 series
FLK and PAB series
1, 2, 1
ff+2
b+2
db+3, 2
FC df+1_PAB d+1
DCK 1_ EXT DCK 1
3, 1, 1_ 3, 1 f1, 1 (All NC now)
SWY 1+2
qcf+1~B
SS WVE for extra SS movement

salt

Don't worry bro, you don't need to master all the mechanics immediately. What I mean is you can still be competitive while still learning as long as you know what you want to do.

Example is Steve. Many people want you to learn block frames, but with Steve, you won't need that, ( 1, 1, 2 for -10 and SF for -14, which is pretty weak). In the end, find what works for you. Consider mechanics as tools. They are there for your disposal, but they won't be useful if you don't have a plan in mind. Find your playstyle, then look up the proper mechanic to take advantage of. Aggressive? Learn your mixups and frametraps. Prefer turtling, learn your punishers. Crush moves too.

Okay, so when I face King or Armor King, just quit before shit gets real. Gotcha :p

Yeah...

But seriously, to my detriment, here's some tips.

First, gotta throwbreak. Not just normal throwbreaks, but learn to read your opponent's throw setups. GS complicates stuff. 1 break with 1+2 animation, but despite that, it usually come out after a poke. iSW 2 break with 1+2 animation, but normally doable at a dash range. As long as you can see those things and properly anticipate the throws, you could break it.

For King, you can't duck. Mids and pokes are too strong. Yet his lows are bad. Turtling against him is a good idea usually because of this as long as you can break throws.For AK, you can duck, since aside for hopkick, he don't have a REAL scary note worthy low. Playing the stats game, you can eat his mid pokes if that's what it takes to punish his big highs and lows.

Ferrio

Banned
I think it was my router, not sure.

Anyways horrible night for me. Losses out the wazoo, and to stupid stuff. Like solo bobs, or people just doing 10 strings.

Just wondering, does anybody need Michelle and Angel (I think it's Michelle and Angel anyway) codes on the Xbox 360? GameStop sent me three sets of codes for XBL but I have the PS3 version. I said that I had not used the codes but I'm willing to give the three codes to anybody that may want them (after all, I've waited three weeks so if they've not given them out by now I doubt they will), as long as they realise that there is a possibility that they've already been used (if GameStop sent the codes to somebody else because I said I had not used them).

Unfortunately it seems that they've been used. Sorry everyone.

Nyx

Just wondering, does anybody need Michelle and Angel (I think it's Michelle and Angel anyway) codes on the Xbox 360? GameStop sent me three sets of codes for XBL but I have the PS3 version. I said that I had not used the codes but I'm willing to give the three codes to anybody that may want them (after all, I've waited three weeks so if they've not given them out by now I doubt they will), as long as they realise that there is a possibility that they've already been used (if GameStop sent the codes to somebody else because I said I had not used them).

I'll take one if possible! :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I'll take one if you have any left- not for myself but for someone I know who didn't pre-order.

kingmozo9

Banned
ten wins on survival....is harder than i though.. *must resist urge to throw controller across the room*

Tryna do it LEGIT

Edit: i know this is a VERY nooby question... but whats 1, 2 , 3 , 4 on a PS3 controller??

LowParry

My Kaz/Jin team is looking pretty cool. The more I play them, the better it gets. Jin's just too damn cool with his stances. I was thinking of picking up Wang at some point and team him up with Hei or maybe Xiaoyu. My time with the game is a lot less however (which really sucks). Meh. I play when I can.

Binabik15

and the throws

all 500 of them

just avoid those things

I fucking love King.

I really wanted to play him since T3, but I just couldn't get my head around all those throws. I used Law and Paul and Bryan with a bit a Yoshimitsu, but only for games against people in my house, so really low leel stuff. Same in Tag. Next Tekken games were DR and 6 on PSP and I stupidly bought Tekken 6 two months ago on an impulse, not knowing when Tag 2 was having its console release. I started using King as my main on DR, but never tried the outlandish throwing game.

Yesterday I managed to go through most throws in variations for the first time ever and pull off that sweet stuff that was in his movies. Yay. Now I need to do that in a real fight, only one I could get to completion so far was the one with King's Bridge at the end.

Matches against my brother using Armour King are so awesome, those two huge guys brutally lashing out at each other and chewing through every bit of scenery.

So, question: How different is King in Tag 2 from 6? If his moves are mostly the same (the DR-6 switch took out some of my fav moves, loved that one quick punch) I'll play 6 for a few more months with my brother until Tag 2 gets cheaper, if he's changed a lot I might get Tag 2 at full price instead of learning and re-learning to save a few Euros.

Oh, and VIDS for King, please. Finding guys doing combos is easy, but I want some nice fights to see how it is really done, please.

Nyx

I used to know the throw-combo from King in TTT, the one which almost 1-shot your opponent, and oh boy did I have fun in the arcades doing this to people who didn't know how to counter it.

But in TTT2, I suck with King.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I tried this on a whim, as I hated SFXT but really liked the Tekken characters. It's actually really fun. Ghost Battle seems like a way to just get a constant stream of AI opponents and they seem to play differently too - I wish a 2D fighter had this.

I haven't played a 3D fighter in forever (umm.... TTT1 probably) so I'm starting fresh here.

DEATH™;42588318 said:
Example is Steve. Many people want you to learn block frames, but with Steve, you won't need that, ( 1, 1, 2 for -10 and SF for -14, which is pretty weak). In the end, find what works for you. Consider mechanics as tools. They are there for your disposal, but they won't be useful if you don't have a plan in mind. Find your playstyle, then look up the proper mechanic to take advantage of. Aggressive? Learn your mixups and frametraps. Prefer turtling, learn your punishers. Crush moves too.

Where can I learn these things?

Deps

If any are left I'd like one.

One thing I've noticed trying to get back into this series is that I play a lot different than I used to when I was younger. Back then I pressed buttons because I didn't give a fuck, and eventually I overwhelmed whoever I was playing. It's not that I was button-mashing, it was just that I was doing things constantly. Now though, I'm thinking way too fucking much and in the process I'm getting hit while trying to process coherent thoughts on how to proceed. Like I could be thinking, "Hmm, ok I blocked so I can throw out a jab. Oh, they blocked, my punish must have been too late. Ok then... *time lapse* wtf? I got launched"

I feel like, despite having some semblance of a strategy I can't seem to just get in there and do shit and feel like I'm being too passive. Maybe I just lost my taste for the pace of this game, I dunno.

Nyx

One thing I've noticed trying to get back into this series is that I play a lot different than I used to when I was younger. Back then I pressed buttons because I didn't give a fuck, and eventually I overwhelmed whoever I was playing. It's not that I was button-mashing, it was just that I was doing things constantly. Now though, I'm thinking way too fucking much and in the process I'm getting hit while trying to process coherent thoughts on how to proceed. Like I could be thinking, "Hmm, ok I blocked so I can throw out a jab. Oh, they blocked, my punish must have been too late. Ok then... *time lapse* wtf? I got launched"

I feel like, despite having some semblance of a strategy I can't seem to just get in there and do shit and feel like I'm being too passive. Maybe I just lost my taste for the pace of this game, I dunno.

You're getting old!

yyr

Hopefully this question isn't really, really stupid, but...

I play Nina and Heihachi. I mostly only play ranked matches and practice mode. I have done the first two stages of Fight Lab, also. I've played over 100 online matches now, and I see lots of people playing with customized characters, but...I don't know how to get new clothes/items. Every time I go to Customize mode and go to buy items, it says there's nothing available for sale, and when I go to Equip, there are no clothes.

Just for the heck of it, I played through arcade mode once, time attack once, and about 10 ghost battles. After each of those, it said that some customization items were unlocked, but there was still nothing for sale.

I don't get it...in T6:BR everything was available for sale; you just needed the gold to be able to buy it. Now I've got over 20 million gold and nothing to spend it on. I feel like I'm probably just missing something...what am I missing?

Sayah

I play Nina and Heihachi. I mostly only play ranked matches and practice mode. I have done the first two stages of Fight Lab, also. I've played over 100 online matches now, and I see lots of people playing with customized characters, but...I don't know how to get new clothes/items. Every time I go to Customize mode and go to buy items, it says there's nothing available for sale, and when I go to Equip, there are no clothes.

Just for the heck of it, I played through arcade mode once, time attack once, and about 10 ghost battles. After each of those, it said that some customization items were unlocked, but there was still nothing for sale.

I don't get it...in T6:BR everything was available for sale; you just needed the gold to be able to buy it. Now I've got over 20 million gold and nothing to spend it on. I feel like I'm probably just missing something...what am I missing?
Keep playing ghost battles. Select opponents with gold plates.

ten wins on survival....is harder than i though.. *must resist urge to throw controller across the room*

Tryna do it LEGIT

Edit: i know this is a VERY nooby question... but whats 1, 2 , 3 , 4 on a PS3 controller??

1= left punch (LP) = square
2= right punch (RP) = triangle
3 = left kick (LK) = X
4 = right kick (RK) = circle

y2dvd

Are you selecting an empty slot after picking your character? I think the first 2 skins are default and won't give you the option to equip.

I haven't messed around with it too much but what I don't like is the inability to autoequip after purchasing an item.

OSHAN

Put it on single round to win and play Ghost Battles, and occasionally one of the three options for next opponent will have a gold highlight, which means they will always give items if you win.

The store selection for buying items doesn't really change at all from what's available at the start. You have to unlock all the character specific items by the way I described above. You unlock items for the characters you just defeated, so if you're fighting Bruce and Bryan and you get the Items Unlocked box to pop after the fight, check Bruce and Bryan for new items.

Sayah

Are you selecting an empty slot after picking your character? I think the first 2 skins are default and won't give you the option to equip.

I haven't messed around with it too much but what I don't like is the inability to autoequip after purchasing an item.

Yeah, that's probably the reason he's not seeing anything for sale. You can't pick A, B, or C. You have to pick the other 10 empty slots.

shiroryu

Seriously upset that we dont have the save screenshot feature back. Jun's ass in her formal pants is amazing. Not only that though but I'd love to get some screencaps from a lot of the endings. Pausing and print screening shit from youtube is not cutting it. 99% of the time shit's all blurry. I need to invest in a capture card.

Yeah, especially now that the game looks better in full 720p.

What are some good cheap capture cards?

Top Bottom