• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Ferrio

Banned
My brain sucks at stringing things together well enough, and when I bound to tag in characters I don't know which move to use to extend combos well enough is my hurdle.

I mean I can do a launch with Heiachi, and get a stand punch, into bound, but then I get Bob to come out and feel like none of the options I pick let me get Hei back in again to really make it count.

Think all of my jun/leo/kuni TA combos (outside of walls) end with a running jump kick (fff3).

Doomshine

My brain sucks at stringing things together well enough, and when I bound to tag in characters I don't know which move to use to extend combos well enough is my hurdle.

I mean I can do a launch with Heiachi, and get a stand punch, into bound, but then I get Bob to come out and feel like none of the options I pick let me get Hei back in again to really make it count.

Hellsweeps to uppercut seems to be the most common filler for Heihachi, but I'm not sure about Bob. I'd suggest watching some match videos and see what people use as TA fillers with Bob.

LowParry

Small favor if anyone is interested:

I want a combo with Heiachi/Bob combination. Can start with either, that works mid screen, and involves tagging in the other, and would like to see 80+ damage off it.

I feel if I can get a combo like that put into motion, then when I punish people I can really make it count.

I'd look at the sample combos for each character and see what you can add in after the bound. Or just start with simple launchers with a few pokes and the bound with the tag in and see what works overall. Heihachi is simple for his bound of d/f 1, 2 or d+1. Finisher or tag in bound combo you can use his hellsweeps (f, n, d, d/f 4, 4, 1).

Degen

I fucking love King.

I really wanted to play him since T3, but I just couldn't get my head around all those throws. I used Law and Paul and Bryan with a bit a Yoshimitsu, but only for games against people in my house, so really low leel stuff. Same in Tag. Next Tekken games were DR and 6 on PSP and I stupidly bought Tekken 6 two months ago on an impulse, not knowing when Tag 2 was having its console release. I started using King as my main on DR, but never tried the outlandish throwing game.

Yesterday I managed to go through most throws in variations for the first time ever and pull off that sweet stuff that was in his movies. Yay. Now I need to do that in a real fight, only one I could get to completion so far was the one with King's Bridge at the end.

Matches against my brother using Armour King are so awesome, those two huge guys brutally lashing out at each other and chewing through every bit of scenery.

So, question: How different is King in Tag 2 from 6? If his moves are mostly the same (the DR-6 switch took out some of my fav moves, loved that one quick punch) I'll play 6 for a few more months with my brother until Tag 2 gets cheaper, if he's changed a lot I might get Tag 2 at full price instead of learning and re-learning to save a few Euros.

Oh, and VIDS for King, please. Finding guys doing combos is easy, but I want some nice fights to see how it is really done, please.
sorry for the late response:

he's pretty similar to his T6 version, but his new ws2,2 is nice. Fast mid, good range, pretty good damage (second hit is guaranteed if the first connects), eats sidestepping

I haven't messed with his new launcher much but it dodges highs so you know it's great. Probably his strongest launcher after the delayed u/f,4 aka The CPU Killer

Also, try downloading some online replays for King when you get TTT2. Some of them are good learning material

MMaRsu

Omfg I suck so fucking hard.. I have lost almost all of my online ranked matches.. I thought I was better.

I can't juggle for shit, and while I know most of Kunimitsu's moves I find them very hard to tie together and if I do want to execute a good combo its tricky as all hell because sometimes the controller inputs recognize a different input than what I'm pressing.

I suck balls.. damnit.

I have played Tekken casually with friends since Tekken 2. :/

Tizoc

EX3Lf.jpg
Let me know if I shouldn't use IMG code...

KiNeSiS

Banned
Omfg I suck so fucking hard.. I have lost almost all of my online ranked matches.. I thought I was better.

I can't juggle for shit, and while I know most of Kunimitsu's moves I find them very hard to tie together and if I do want to execute a good combo its tricky as all hell because sometimes the controller inputs recognize a different input than what I'm pressing.

I suck balls.. damnit.

Let's fight, maybe you will win.

PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

conman

I suck balls.. damnit.

I'm about 2 for 25 right now in ranked. And one of those two wins was against someone who was afk (afc?).

AAK

Haven't really played for a week, tried yesterday and I'm already kinda rusty :(

Why is hwoarangs just frame rocket kick so hard to do on LFF and incredibly easy on RFF?

Yeah, every since my stick and playing on pad broke I managed to do his JFSR much better on the right side vs left side. which didn't make any sense to me. But as far as an arcade stick is concerned, you have more control with your thumb compared to 1p side where it's just the palm of your hand, so I guess that's why.

Also, I believe the game gives you 2-3 frames of lenience when you attempt JSFR from his RFF stance.

mr_boo

I'm about 2 for 25 right now in ranked. And one of those two wins was against someone who was afk (afc?).
I'm far from an expert, and I actually consider myself somewhat an average player, so take it for what it's worth. Here are some tips that I've received and that I've figured out over my causal stints:

1. Visit Tekken Zaibatsu, where they have specialized character threads. Tekken notation and lingo can be pretty frustrating to understand, but there are lot of good nuggets in the thread. If you're lucky, there will be a "Top 10 Move" character thread ... which is a thread where players post what they consider their Top 10 moves for that character. That should give you a baseline on which moves you should be abusing.

2. Listening to RIP give beginner advice in 1st Attack, find a reliable mid and reliable low for you character.

3. Again, per RIP's advice, movement is a critical component to success. I believe Avoiding the Puddle has a good tutorial. This is one aspect that I still need to greatly improve on.

4. Keep It Simple (Juggles that is). Rather trying to pull of max juggle damage that you can only pull off one out of five times, be satisfied with juggles that lead to solid damage and are easier and less flashy to pull off. Go for the complex stuff later once you've nailed down your character.

5. Abuse Your Opponent. It sounds sorta messed up, but if a certain attack works on your opponent, keep doing it over and over until he/she proves otherwise. If your objective is to win, this what you ought to be doing. If your objective is to learn your character on the fly and gain experience, then don't be so hard on yourself.

Trying to learn some combos and setups with Nina & Lars. I'm not sure what i should be learning with both characters since i'm still just using pokes and not much else.

Online cheaters.

I must have come across about 6-7 people that do this online. It's kind of pathetic and pitiful. But I guess this is a problem in every fighting game online.

Do they just turn off the internet like people used to do on Demon Souls? lol Pathetic.

Not sure if it's considered cheating though. Game should record the number of disconnects, it's an easy tell on a player profile.

Ferrio

Banned

I suck balls.. damnit.

Did you try that kuni combo I gave you? It's really the simplest of all the characters I've used.

Good games, Ferrio.

Just got the Screwdriver down :)

ggs, going to have to look up the breaks for king's multithrows. Used to know them in 3 as he was a main :( Also I couldn't hear a a god damn word you said, voice chat doesn't work well coming from speakers.

AAK

Trying to learn some combos and setups with Nina & Lars. I'm not sure what i should be learning with both characters since i'm still just using pokes and not much else.

One of the best players in the world "Only Practice" uses that team. There's hundreds upon hundreds of his match videos online, you can check them out to get an an idea of how he uses that team.

Dereck

Basing rank just based on the amount of wins and losses seems one dimensional to me in a fighting game, they should count the amount of punishes, combos landed, tag combos landed, etc.

After two weeks I finally go try out ranked.

Get matched up with a guy 100-20 ..he's using new characters so that's why we got matched up.

This game frustrates the hell outta me

Edit: Now I get matched up with a guy 500-200

I mean like I wouldn't be mad if I stood a chance

This game is bullshit, back to SF4..at least the game makes sense

Edit: Then you win one match and everythings back to being good in the world! :D
LAST ROUND, BOTH CHARACTERS AROUND 50 PERCENT, GETS KNOCKED BACK FULL SCREEN, RANDOM KAZUYA LASER UNBLOCKABLE AND I LOSE LOL FUCK

DEATH™

Basing rank just based on the amount of wins and losses seems one dimensional to me in a fighting game, they should count the amount of punishes, combos landed, tag combos landed, etc.

It's kinda hard especially with our tech right now, and aside from that, some can live with just poke and poke and poke so...

@tizoc keep em coming man. I realized how tekken lacks fan art.

Degen

Back on my Jinpachi BS

once you discover his df2,1 you can only go for so many matches without having it

I'll still throw in AK and Bryan but mine both need some serious work

Yeah saw that on the WTF forums aswel, how da fuq do they do that?
He might have held down the home button and gone to "quit game" although he'd still have to be really quick about it

That does sound good but my rank would look pretty terrible

I never do tag combos and a lot of my damage comes from high-risk moves and moonsault/throw shenanigans

alstein

That's a good part of why you win and lose right there, so it does count.

WTF keeps track of those stats.

conman

Online cheaters.

I must have come across about 6-7 people that do this online. It's kind of pathetic and pitiful. But I guess this is a problem in every fighting game online.
I suck. So when I get someone to rage quit on me, I consider it a much bigger victory for me than a stats boost.

I've even had rage quitters send me nasty messages on PSN afterward convinced that I used a hack. I keep those messages. Much more gratifying than seeing my 2-136 record go up to 3-136. ;)

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Finding Angel hard to play effectively as a newcomer. Would prefer not dropping her, but I'm going to look into Armor King and Marduk tonight as alternatives.

AAK

Aris gives his input on defense. He goes into more detail about how you should defend to become a feirce competitor in tournaments in the later half of the video; but a lot of newer players could really benefit from the first half where he talks about how to simply avoid getting hit and option selecting.

Sayah

I don't get the point. He got a loss anyway in that fight.

Many people get away with it without getting losses or getting any changes in their d/c percentage.
And I also think there's a way to clean your loss record. I recall facing someone in MvC3 that had 155 wins and 0 losses. I beat him, he didn't d/c and his loss showed. Then, I happened to face him again and the loss wasn't there. It was back to zero.

I suck. So when I get someone to rage quit on me, I consider it a much bigger victory for me than a stats boost.

I've even had rage quitters send me nasty messages on PSN afterward convinced that I used a hack. I keep those messages. Much more gratifying than seeing my 2-136 record go up to 3-136. ;)
hahaha, lol.

Ferrio

Banned
Aris gives his input on defense. He goes into more detail about how you should defend to become a feirce competitor in tournaments in the later half of the video; but a lot of newer players could really benefit from the first half where he talks about how to simply avoid getting hit and option selecting.

I don't understand his reasoning. "If you have a move that works well against this, Don't use it!"

AAK

I don't understand his reasoning. "If you have a move that works well against this, Don't use it!"

His logic is that you're wasting precious game time that you can benefit by training in throw breaking and hence you prove to your opponent that you're not going to rely on that 1 specific option select (i.e. Xiaoyu's AOP stance) which can really get punished.

I don't think i'll ever get the hang of throw breaks. I've tried doing them in defensive training in practice mode but it's still pretty tough. It'll take a lot of concentration to do them in a real match.

Btw does anyone else wish the replay menus were a little better? Having only 3 displayed per page makes them a bit awkward to scroll through. But anyway that's a pretty minor niggle, this is the most fun i've ever had with a Tekken game and it's the first time ive really tried to sit down and learn one. Figuring this game out has been one of the most rewarding gaming experiences for me this gen.

mr_boo

His logic is that you're wasting precious game time that you can benefit by training in throw breaking and hence you prove to your opponent that you're not going to rely on that 1 specific option select (i.e. Xiaoyu's AOP stance) which can really get punished.
Also, I think Aris' point is that it's viable to utilize the one specific option select later on, once you've nailed down the proper defense.

I don't think i'll ever get the hang of throw breaks. I've tried doing them in defensive training in practice mode but it's still pretty tough. It'll take a lot of concentration to do them in a real match.
Same boat here :D

Ferrio

Banned

Btw does anyone else wish the replay menus were a little better? Having only 3 displayed per page makes them a bit awkward to scroll through. But anyway that's a pretty minor niggle, this is the most fun i've ever had with a Tekken game and it's the first time ive really tried to sit down and learn one. Figuring this game out has been one of the most rewarding gaming experiences for me this gen.

Don't play Ihavecandy then. I learned quick to look out for that damn swing.

Finding Angel hard to play effectively as a newcomer. Would prefer not dropping her, but I'm going to look into Armor King and Marduk tonight as alternatives.

Angel has some good punishers and pokes so its best to focus on those first. Abuse u/f+3, d+1, d/b+2 and crouch dash 3. Those are all safe reliable moves to keep the pressure on your opponent. 112, 122, and 22 are all great punishers. If you block something toss those out and more often then not they will connect. She is a bit harder to play and win with due to her range and the need for tag assualts to dish out big damage but I think she is super fun to play. Stick with her! Plus she's hot <3

Top Bottom