• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Hopefully this question isn't really, really stupid, but...

I play Nina and Heihachi. I mostly only play ranked matches and practice mode. I have done the first two stages of Fight Lab, also. I've played over 100 online matches now, and I see lots of people playing with customized characters, but...I don't know how to get new clothes/items. Every time I go to Customize mode and go to buy items, it says there's nothing available for sale, and when I go to Equip, there are no clothes.

Just for the heck of it, I played through arcade mode once, time attack once, and about 10 ghost battles. After each of those, it said that some customization items were unlocked, but there was still nothing for sale.

I don't get it...in T6:BR everything was available for sale; you just needed the gold to be able to buy it. Now I've got over 20 million gold and nothing to spend it on. I feel like I'm probably just missing something...what am I missing?

I just want to state that it is in fact possible to unlike items by playing online mode (ranked anyway) as I had received an alien from a lucky box a few days (and I am under the assumption that this means you receive an item in the customisation feature) but as has been stated, the frequency that you unlock items online is absolutely negligible when you compare it to the Ghost Battle Mode so you're definitely better off playing that and, as Sayah stated, fighting the Gold Plated enemies.

Also, just in case I'm misunderstanding you, there is things for sale for every character unlocked from the beginning (in case you are asking if there is anything for sale). If you select a character, select their 1,2,3,4,etc. slots (not the default slots!) and press "Buy" as opposed to "Equip" however most of these items are shared across characters. It is only the Unique Items that have to be unlocked by the above means.

yyr

Are you selecting an empty slot after picking your character? I think the first 2 skins are default and won't give you the option to equip.

I haven't messed around with it too much but what I don't like is the inability to autoequip after purchasing an item.

I'll try this later, thanks. I'm used to T6:BR, where you overwrote the default skins with customized ones, so it didn't occur to me to try that.

And thanks all for the Ghost Battle advice. I do hope, though, that I don't have to spend hours in Ghost Battle looking for ghost Ninas/Heihachis to fight, just to be able to buy items that I would have been able to outright buy in the arcade version.

Each character only has like 2-8 truly unique items that need unlocking, including character panels. The rest are little items that go on your body, auras or background LEDs. Although the order in which they unlock is random....

King's chain throws haven't changed much since T3. They've only added more. So the death cradle string, the ankle lock string and the muscle buster/giant swing string should be the same commands if you knew them in TTT1.

Sidestepping against king is usually a good idea. His moves have always been linear. His main sidestep counters are only d/f+2, which will only combo on counterhit and f+4 which will knock down, but is slow.

If king sidesteps and you don't feel like punishing him, just duck. Most online people are going for 3+4, which will leave him grounded, or the chain throw. You can easily see that chain throw coming, so hop kick it.

As for throws, always break the giant swing until the King changes it up. It's the King players job to set up the throws properly. So try to catch on.

Would other King players agree with me that he probably receives the most hate mail?

yyr

I actually would say "No hate for any character or player in Tekken is reasonable hate." Because every time I lose--even if it's to someone who spammed the same moves over and over, or button-mashed, or fought in a way I would consider cheesy--I feel like there's always something that I could have done to beat them.

I love how balanced this game has been over the last few versions, overall.

Each character only has like 2-8 truly unique items that need unlocking, including character panels. The rest are little items that go on your body, auras or background LEDs. Although the order in which they unlock is random....

Cool, thanks!

Sayah

No hate for any character in Tekken is reasonable hate.

Except for Bob. j/k

Tekken is extremely well balanced and you know it is when tiers don't mean anything. So hating on any character is unreasonable. Disliking them on the other hand...........

Ferrio

Banned
Simple jabs can beat sidesteps right? I assume that's why I get smacked during sidestepping, I know the move they're using isn't tracking...

One thing I've noticed trying to get back into this series is that I play a lot different than I used to when I was younger. Back then I pressed buttons because I didn't give a fuck, and eventually I overwhelmed whoever I was playing. It's not that I was button-mashing, it was just that I was doing things constantly. Now though, I'm thinking way too fucking much and in the process I'm getting hit while trying to process coherent thoughts on how to proceed. Like I could be thinking, "Hmm, ok I blocked so I can throw out a jab. Oh, they blocked, my punish must have been too late. Ok then... *time lapse* wtf? I got launched"

I feel like, despite having some semblance of a strategy I can't seem to just get in there and do shit and feel like I'm being too passive. Maybe I just lost my taste for the pace of this game, I dunno.

This is typical. Once you no longer have to wait for your own reaction to be calculated and can respond immediately, things will turn around for you.

King's chain throws haven't changed much since T3. They've only added more. So the death cradle string, the ankle lock string and the muscle buster/giant swing string should be the same commands if you knew them in TTT1.

Sidestepping against king is usually a good idea. His moves have always been linear. His main sidestep counters are only d/f+2, which will only combo on counterhit and f+4 which will knock down, but is slow.

If king sidesteps and you don't feel like punishing him, just duck. Most online people are going for 3+4, which will leave him grounded, or the chain throw. You can easily see that chain throw coming, so hop kick it.

As for throws, always break the giant swing until the King changes it up. It's the King players job to set up the throws properly. So try to catch on.

Would other King players agree with me that he probably receives the most hate mail?
Word of advice. King's sidestep chain throw is cancelable. I often will do it to force them to duck and launch them, or will do two or three side steps until I get them doing what I want.

And, uh, sorry for being so un-p.c.

I would say that when I play King I get a inordinate amount of "dislike mail."

IHaveCandy, have I seen you on a stream somewhere? King player?

I may be wrong.

Word of advice. King's sidestep chain throw is cancelable. I often will do it to force them to duck and launch them, or will do two or three side steps until I get them doing what I want.

Won't a hopkick hit the cancelled version as well? The whole process takes a while.

And, uh, sorry for being so un-p.c.

I would say that when I play King I get a inordinate amount of "dislike mail."

IHaveCandy, have I seen you on a stream somewhere? King player?

I may be wrong.

Won't a hopkick hit the cancelled version as well? The whole process takes a while.

I've been on Kade's stream a few times. I believe you can hop kick the side dash if you do it early. A lot of people don't do it early enough though. They will wait for king to start trying the grab, and kick him out of it. It's hard to react so immediately unless that King player spams that move and you see it coming. I will often either double side step and either throw or knee. Or I will do a single side dash, block, and do a hop kick punisher after blocking.

Have you found any way to apply d+1+2? I feel like you almost need the opponent right on top of you to hit it.

Also, do you know the properties of ff,N,1+2? What do you get after counterhit? I think a free iSW, but people break it after a few times.

d1+2 is a great high crush launcher. If you see a high coming, you can launch them every time. King's push is not a move I use often. I do like to use it to get an iSW off them, but I typically only do that to mix things up and catch them off guard. They can still duck it if they do so immediately. It may be more useful with them near a wall.

mr_boo

Except for Bob. j/k

Tekken is extremely well balanced and you know it is when tiers don't mean anything. So hating on any character is unreasonable. Disliking them on the other hand...........
I actually think there's two levels of balance with Tekken - the Pro/Tourney Level and the Everybody Else Level. Of course, vast majority folks fall into the Everybody Else Level category, where I think the well balanced character tiers applies and exists. Generally, I attribute things being well balanced to two things: there's way too many characters to really get to know and there's way too many moves per character. That's the beauty of Tekken and one the things that makes Tekken great and better than other fighters - it's not scared to be complex and it treats its player base as being able to handle it.

Sayah

Sayah, do you have any advice for JayCee and/or Angel? From what I gathered, Angel being a Mishima means you need to work on movement in order to bait your opponent and punish with EWGF; then there's the low/low or low/med mix-up from f, d, d/f 4,4_4,3.

My biggest hurdle so far is the movement practice; need to do it more.

Hey, just experimented a little bit with Angel/Jaycee.

Try out these combos.
Combo 1:
1. Angel: Use either f,d,d/f+2 or d/f+1,2 launchers
2. Angel: b+4,1 - TAG button
3. Jaycee: f+2,2,2 - TAG button
4. Angel: u+1+2 (during tag assault)
5. Jaycee: f,f,f + 1 - Pretty much means press forward, then press and hold forward and then press 1.

Combo 2:
1. Angel: Sidestep (SS), press 2.
2. Angel: u+1+2
3. Angel: f,f+3,4 - TAG button
4. Jaycee: f+2,2,1 (during tag assault)
5. Angel: 1+2

Combo 3:
1. Jaycee: Use either d+4,1 OR rising (WS) 1 OR d/b+2 - TAG button.
2. Angel: b+4,1 - TAG button.
3. Jaycee: f+2,2,2 - TAG button.
4. Angel: u+1+2 (during tag assault)
5. Jaycee: f,f,f+1

Combo 4:
1. Angel: f,d,d/f+2
2. Angel: b+4,1
3. Angel: d/f+1+2 NOTE: As soon as you press b+4,1, hold d/f and wait for the animation to finish before you press 1+2. - TAG button.
4. Jaycee: f+2,2,1 (during tag assault)
5. Angel: 1+2

Hopefully these help. If you need any help doing these combos, we can do an online practice session if you're on PSN. And there's a lot more you can do. You just have to experiment/explore the possibilities. :p

Sayah

I actually think there's two levels of balance with Tekken - the Pro/Tourney Level and the Everybody Else Level. Of course, vast majority folks fall into the Everybody Else Level category, where I think the well balanced character tiers applies and exists. Generally, I attribute things being well balanced to two things: there's way too many characters to really get to know and there's way too many moves per character. That's the beauty of Tekken and one the things that makes Tekken great and better than other fighters - it's not scared to be complex and it treats its player base as being able to handle it.

That's a good take on it.

alstein

Megacast worked better with KOF , where the characters were simpler. You still had a gimmick factor, but it was easier to figure out mid-match. I still don't think I've seen half the characters online.

I think 3d games do suffer some when the cast gets too big- there's a reason VF has kept new characters down to 2 at a time, and I think that's for the best.

mr_boo

Megacast worked better with KOF , where the characters were simpler. You still had a gimmick factor, but it was easier to figure out mid-match. I still don't think I've seen half the characters online.

I think 3d games do suffer some when the cast gets too big- there's a reason VF has kept new characters down to 2 at a time, and I think that's for the best.
I think what you're talking about here is popularity & usage, not actual character balance. What I'm trying to say is, I could be a solid Lars player (say slightly above average), but if I run into a Zafina player that knows what he/she is doing (and I have no experience with Zafina) there's a good chance, I'm going get my butt handed to me. This kinda scenario doesn't apply so much with 2D fighters since (as you've stated) character are much simpler, the move sets are smaller, and the rosters are generally smaller as well. New tech is harder to find in 2D fighters, but Tekken offers up more avenues due to it's complexity.

Anyways, I don't want to friendly debate anyways, so I'll diffuse. It was just my 2 cents.

DEATH™

Sorry bro, that things you said will get you killed by a king who knows what to do. Whatever you do, DON'T SIDESTEP AND DUCK. There's no way f+4 is slow. f+4 is too fast, too abuseable, too damaging, too long range for a tracking move. I'm not even mentioning his ff+1 unparryable elbow and WS 2, 2. He got every tracking moves whether he's far away or close, and they are too good. And they are all mids.

Asiding online, don't duck. Many kings prefer doing hopknee after a sidestep. Hopknee kills duckers and techrollers.

Have you found any way to apply d+1+2? I feel like you almost need the opponent right on top of you to hit it.

Also, do you know the properties of ff,N,1+2? What do you get after counterhit? I think a free iSW, but people break it after a few times.

I personally use d+1+2 for oki, it hits grounded and if they decide to quickstand or kick, a launch for you. It's the safe way to use it for me. In the open it's a bit risky since you got safer options with hopknee and FC df+2.

for ff, n+1+2, it's free b+3 on CH. but I personally won't rely on that since it's hard to see if you get a CH. But if you get a hang of it, it's beefy damage.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hey, just experimented a little bit with Angel/Jaycee.
[Big ol' combo list]

Thanks so much Sayah! I'll get working on these, and I'd love to play some with you (I'll get bodied, lol) and hear whatever advice you may have. I'll add you on PSN now.

Doomshine

DEATH™;42601993 said:
for ff, n+1+2, it's free b+3 on CH. but I personally won't rely on that since it's hard to see if you get a CH. But if you get a hang of it, it's beefy damage.

I think you can get a b+1,2 as well.

kyo27

Does anyone know if you can unlock different hairstyles (not the ones you purchase)? I think I've seen some against the computer that can't be purchased but haven't unlocked any. Plus the ones you buy look awful almost like its missing hair in the front or something.

Doomshine

Does anyone know if you can unlock different hairstyles (not the ones you purchase)? I think I've seen some against the computer that can't be purchased but haven't unlocked any. Plus the ones you buy look awful almost like its missing hair in the front or something.

You buy a "base" hair first and then you are able to buy more hair options after that, it's the two tabs next to it that are greyed out.

Doomshine

Been playing a Zafina/Wang team today, but I barely had to tag in Wang.

More than half the people I fought did not know what do against mantis stance. I even had a couple of people GIVE UP, they just stopped playing and walked forward. Zafina brings out the salt I guess.

Dereck

Been playing a Zafina/Wang team today, but I barely had to tag in Wang.

More than half the people I fought did not know what do against mantis stance. I even had a couple of people GIVE UP, they just stopped playing and walked forward. Zafina brings out the salt I guess.
Are you juggling and shit with Zafina?

AdroitOne

Neo Member
d1+2 is a great high crush launcher. If you see a high coming, you can launch them every time. King's push is not a move I use often. I do like to use it to get an iSW off them, but I typically only do that to mix things up and catch them off guard. They can still duck it if they do so immediately. It may be more useful with them near a wall.

I usually use the push to break my opponents flow and to stop aggression. Afteri land the push, I do something to get an reaction and then counter attack. I basically use it for the mind games I play with my opponent. :)

GrayFoxPL

Yo, fuck Zafina that crawling bitch ;P.

Gg Doomshine, the more I played against Zaf the less I knew what to do.

Stance that avoids mids is bullshit though :p.

Doomshine

Yo, fuck Zafina that crawling bitch ;P.

Gg Doomshine, the more I played against Zaf the less I knew what to do.

Stance that avoids mids is bullshit though :p.

My favorite is Bryan players because they all instinctively go for orbital heel. NOPE, doesn't work.

Seriously though, just space her out and hit her out of it with a quick low. If you're on point you can actually launch her since she's considered standing in that stance. Just remember that she can cancel and block pretty fast.

Jumped online for a couple quick games last night after a long absence. Lost to a player who was 0-27, then beat a player who had over 500 games played. This happens to me in every fighting game. -.-

zlatko

Banned
Small favor if anyone is interested:

I want a combo with Heiachi/Bob combination. Can start with either, that works mid screen, and involves tagging in the other, and would like to see 80+ damage off it.

I feel if I can get a combo like that put into motion, then when I punish people I can really make it count.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Small favor if anyone is interested:

I want a combo with Heiachi/Bob combination. Can start with either, that works mid screen, and involves tagging in the other, and would like to see 80+ damage off it.

I feel if I can get a combo like that put into motion, then when I punish people I can really make it count.

Cant you just use the preview combos as a base of what to build off of? :p

yyr

OK, I found all of the customizations I was looking for...I just had to pick "01" or later, and not try to overwrite the default outfits. Thanks everyone =)

DEATH™

Oh awesome, did he mod the game or something? I want a maskless kuni :(

Wonks got it from a japanese forum, it was a bug that let kuni wear alisa's costumes.

Can somebody tweet harada if we can have kuni maskless? That scar looks good on her, no joke.

Ferrio

Banned
DEATH™;42610728 said:
Wonks got it from a japanese forum, it was a bug that let kuni wear alisa's costumes.

Can somebody tweet harada if we can have kuni maskless? That scar looks good on her, no joke.

Does the bug still exist? Damn.

Though Kuni without the red hair is blasphemy.

zlatko

Banned
Cant you just use the preview combos as a base of what to build off of? :p

My brain sucks at stringing things together well enough, and when I bound to tag in characters I don't know which move to use to extend combos well enough is my hurdle.

I mean I can do a launch with Heiachi, and get a stand punch, into bound, but then I get Bob to come out and feel like none of the options I pick let me get Hei back in again to really make it count.

Top Bottom