• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Dachande

Hello TekkenGAF! I'm a complete series newcomer and need some guidance!

I've been a VF diehard all my life and barely played Tekken outside of a few goes on Tekken 1 and 2 way, way back in the day, but never really 'got it'. But quite a few friends at work are playing this at lunchtime, and what I've seen has been pretty impressive and I want to get involved, so I've just picked this up.

So I'm really not sure where to begin character-wise, and the roster in this is pretty intimidating. I tend to lean towards faster, weaker characters with combo potential (which are usually women, frankly), and in VF I almost universally play Aoi. I love reversals, but I'm not much of a grappler. I like rekkas too, and I'm primarily pretty rushdown-based in my approach (so I love to mix up lots of offence and the occasional reversal to trip people up, because I'm a bastard).

My friends have recommended Jun and Dragunov, but I'm also told that everyone is playing Jun at the minute and I don't want to be one of "those people" who use the strongest/most popular character. Nina looks interesting, but I don't know much about her. Is there anyone else I should be considering?

I've been a VF diehard all my life and barely played Tekken outside of a few goes on Tekken 1 and 2 way, way back in the day, but never really 'got it'. But quite a few friends at work are playing this at lunchtime, and what I've seen has been pretty impressive and I want to get involved, so I've just picked this up.

So I'm really not sure where to begin character-wise, and the roster in this is pretty intimidating. I tend to lean towards faster, weaker characters with combo potential (which are usually women, frankly), and in VF I almost universally play Aoi. I love reversals, but I'm not much of a grappler. I like rekkas too, and I'm primarily pretty rushdown-based in my approach (so I love to mix up lots of offence and the occasional reversal to trip people up, because I'm a bastard).

My friends have recommended Jun and Dragunov, but I'm also told that everyone is playing Jun at the minute and I don't want to be one of "those people" who use the strongest/most popular character. Nina looks interesting, but I don't know much about her. Is there anyone else I should be considering?

Don't worry about being that guy. Asuka and Jun sound like they'd fit your playstyle, just don't use both. :D When you're new it's more satisfying to learn with someone you'd actually like anyway.

mephie

Neo Member

Stop worrying about what others think of your character choice. If you liked Aoi then it sounds like Asuka or Jun would be perfect for you. They have a ton of fast mixups and the only reversal that can be held to extend its timing window. Jin is also worth trying, but his reversal can not be extended.

You should probably know that Jun was just brought back after a long long while of complaining to Harada on Twitter for her to come back. So it's only fair If she get's frequently used.

Anyways Jun sounds right up your alley, she has a beefy reversal and offensive mix ups off her GEN (this has an auto-low parry) and IZU stances and she has a lot of strong strings that do quite the amount of hits and damage.

And by the sounds of things I'd recommend Feng Wei to play as too. He isn't extremely difficult to play, good offensive mixups that can chip away and wear down a turtle while also having some defensive tools. He kinda lacks in damage in the juggle department but having a partner like Jun that has some great TA fillers will more then make up for that. He's great for opening your opponent up with a launch too.

Esura

Banned
Holy shit, I finally backdash canceled on the pad. This is beautiful. I can only do it once though then my thumbs start wigging out.

I think you should stick with Jun. Maybe use Asuka too cause they play kind of similar to each other.

Dachande

Worth noting that I haven't tried ANYONE yet. I went for Paul back when I was messing about with T1 and T2 years ago, but don't really know who else to try!

I'm going through Fight Lab at the minute and sort of struggling to get the hang on the move timing... it really feels so different to any other fighter I've played.

mephie

Neo Member
Worth noting that I haven't tried ANYONE yet. I went for Paul back when I was messing about with T1 and T2 years ago, but don't really know who else to try!

I'm going through Fight Lab at the minute and sort of struggling to get the hang on the move timing... it really feels so different to any other fighter I've played.

There is a simple solution for this. Try everyone! Just play a few offline ghost battles as each character. Then go into practice and try to learn the ones that stand out to you.

Sayah

That's sort of like me.
I use Nina/Anna and I think they might fit what you're looking for with offensive, rushdown-based approach.

Sorry for not being online as much guys... Tokyo Jungle has been sucking my time. TTT2 is a longterm game for me so even when this thread dies down I'll still be playing.

I'm planning on improving my Jack/P.Jack play. I'm a bit off and my inputs aren't as smooth as I use to be (mainly the HCF + 1 type moves...)

^_^

Sayah

If anyone wants to play, I have a lobby open right now (PSN ID is Jucksalbe).

Ah..........probably won't be able to get on for some time. :/

Sorry for not being online as much guys... Tokyo Jungle has been sucking my time. TTT2 is a longterm game for me so even when this thread dies down I'll still be playing.

I'm planning on improving my Jack/P.Jack play. I'm a bit off and my inputs aren't as smooth as I use to be (mainly the HCF + 1 type moves...)

^_^

I'm trying out P. Jack and really liking what I'm seeing.

Dachande

That's sort of like me.
I use Nina/Anna and I think they might fit what you're looking for with offensive, rushdown-based approach.

Yeah, I went for Nina as one of my first characters and I'm liking her a lot. I tried Anna out as well and she seems very similar (I remember her as being like 'alt Nina' when she appeared and it seems that hasn't changed too much). Need to go into training with Anna to compare differences and choose which one to go for though.

Not sure about Jun yet. She seems good, but I need more time with her to make a decision. Same with Asuka, although I only tried her for like 3 minutes. Dragunov seems great, just a little slow, but once I know more what I'm doing I may be able to make that up.

I played against one of my friends and he was using Leo, who looks very interesting, so I'll give her(?) a go later as well I think.

Sayah

Yeah, I went for Nina as one of my first characters and I'm liking her a lot. I tried Anna out as well and she seems very similar (I remember her as being like 'alt Nina' when she appeared and it seems that hasn't changed too much). Need to go into training with Anna to compare differences and choose which one to go for though.

Not sure about Jun yet. She seems good, but I need more time with her to make a decision. Same with Asuka, although I only tried her for like 3 minutes. Dragunov seems great, just a little slow, but once I know more what I'm doing I may be able to make that up.

I played against one of my friends and he was using Leo, who looks very interesting, so I'll give her(?) a go later as well I think.

Anna got a moveset change in T5. She shares some resemblances with Nina but overall, a completely different character now (thankfully). Although, from my experience, I can say Anna is easier to learn. Nina requires more time.

I'm trying out P. Jack and really liking what I'm seeing.
He's good but he has a trade off: While Jack-6 has extendable reach with most if his moves , P Jack does not but has more more moves that can be used.

He feels more like the old jacks than the newer tech that jack-6 plays with

DSix

Banned

I'm a big Kazama player so here's my perspective:

Asuka and Jun don't have any advantage in speed. Jun has some good guessing game with lots of very safe moves, and Asuka is probably the best defensive character of the game (she relies more on punishing juggles and okizeme than constant pressure). They're both about playing it methodically and not getting carried away rushing in constantly.

Quite the opposite of the fast and aggressive play of Nina/Anna, their pokes being insanely fast and easy to mix, with super scary launchers/juggles from Anna (Nina being a slightly more subtle affair).

You should also give Xiaoyou a spin, you might like her.

Doomshine

I was excited for P. Jack, but I feel like all the unique animations they gave him ended up worse than Jack's except for debugger. His b+3,2,2 has terrible range too, he can't even do Jack's staple T6 combo because of it.

DEATH™

Hey DEATH™, was there ever a specific format for combo pages on the wiki? Want to remove the stuff I have on Devil Jin's page and try something new with it.

I was trying to devise a format for it, where we list all launchers (regular, taggable w/ classes, counterhit), bound and TA of choice on one part and the second where we list combos from both solo and tag, separating them with different classes/launchers. That was scrapped due to the juggles where TA are involved. You could try to make your own page format for now since there's no standard yet, just be sure to add a separate section that includes the following:

*Regular Launchers
*CH Launchers
*Taggable Launchers (specify the classes on each)
*Bound
*TA filler (ex King f+2, 2, 1)
*TA finish (ex King iSW)

On the combos part, we'll try to follow suit.

Holy shit, I finally backdash canceled on the pad. This is beautiful. I can only do it once though then my thumbs start wigging out.

Sir, you experienced the most underrated part of Tekken. That sense of acomplishment where you nailed something you are practicing, let alone using it effectively in a match...

This thread won't easily die guys. ^_^

yeah the movement is a bit different, but on time you'll get the hang of it. Just practice it bro, basic movement will enable you to play any character you like in this game.

Sayah

I disable Tekken Tunes --> Snoop Dogg stage gets picked twice in a row --> Mental breakdown.

And lobby going on right now if anyone wants to play.

DEATH™;42715492 said:
Uhhh... sorry bro... Did a doctor gave you any exercises to counteract that? Or any carpal tunnel?

She said let it rest for a while, pretty vague really. Nothing serious like carpal tunnel, just swelling/tenderness

Honestly, I felt like playing with the usual over hand style was doing a number on my wrist but I just ignored it.

I should probably use my stick

She said let it rest for a while, pretty vague really. Nothing serious like carpal tunnel, just swelling/tenderness

Honestly, I felt like playing with the usual over hand style was doing a number on my wrist but I just ignored it.

I'm having the same problem as well. Both of my hands are in so much pain and my right hand and wirst are pretty swollen. I might have to switch to stick too.

Ferrio

Banned
So many games, so little time :(. Was going to play this today but season's beatings!

So is there anywhere with accurate frame data? Last time I checked the zaibatsu wiki frame data wasn't all there. Would like to know Jun's and Kuni's.

Esura

Banned
DEATH™;42710861 said:
Sir, you experienced the most underrated part of Tekken. That sense of acomplishment where you nailed something you are practicing, let alone using it effectively in a match...

It felt good. But now I need to do it consistently.

The motion feels extremely awkward. On the input screen it looks like I'm doing QCBs constantly but I'm doing b,b, d/b...pause for a split...b. But I see why people say it should be required learning. That distance I put between my character and the other in practice in a few seconds is on some SC/DOA like stuff.

I'm having the same problem as well. Both of my hands are in so much pain and my right hand and wirst are pretty swollen. I might have to switch to stick too.

As a pad user, shit like this scares me and make me want to do the switch too. I tried sticks before and didn't like them but it might be a necessary evil to try to use them again if it avoids any future hand complication.

While my hands aren't swollen or in extreme pain like that but my right thumb used to get sore for a bit. Originally thought it was game related but it was work related in hindsight. Need to wear gloves.

I might invest in the Qanbas.

Lum1n3s

So does anyone know as to when the Wii U version will release and if a TE stick will be made for the system? Def. interested in getting the game and after seeing that one trailer for the Wii U version I am definitely hyped.

Sayah

So does anyone know as to when the Wii U version will release and if a TE stick will be made for the system? Def. interested in getting the game and after seeing that one trailer for the Wii U version I am definitely hyped.
TTT2 releases on Wii U on launch day. And the TTT2 madcatz stick will be available for the Wii U.

As a pad user, shit like this scares me and make me want to do the switch too. I tried sticks before and didn't like them but it might be a necessary evil to try to use them again if it avoids any future hand complication.

While my hands aren't swollen or in extreme pain like that but my right thumb used to get sore for a bit. Originally thought it was game related but it was work related in hindsight. Need to wear gloves.

I might invest in the Qanbas.
Yeah shits scary man. I play with my pointer and middle finger to push buttons and I have long fingers so my hand is in a really awkward position. I also use L1 as my tag button so my left pointer finger is always resting on it and that hurts a bit too. With a stick I can lay my right hand flat and relieve the stress on it. Only thing is I suck ass on stick for Tekken. Any other fighting game is fine but with Tekken I cant move as well and have way too many execution errors.

The TTT2 COMBO app on iOS is godlike for frame data/movelist info.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/combo-for-tekken-tag-2/id559576973?mt=8

It's not free. It's 2.99. But I have yet to find a better app for this kind of stuff. You can also keep track of combos/save your own for reference.

Great resource, I use it when I'm playing/testing stuff.

EDIT: Also the Wii U version of TTT2 is awesome.

If your allowed, can you confirm whether or not there are more nintendo outfits besides the ones shown in the WiiU trailer?

The only hand complications I got from my pad days were simply thumb blisters. Now that I use stick that's gone, but my back hurts sometimes due to my posture when using it. :/

That's sort of like me.

You play on ps3? I need a someone to teach me nina. I'm currently playing T6 and dont really know where I stand (skill level wise). I'm waiting for my TTT2 copy to come in from amazon. I'm usually offensive, only bc I suck at defending/countering.

DEATH™;42715625 said:
For the strats? Yes... but for the frame data, no...

Damn, Wish I'd known before cancelling the order. I wanted the book for strats, didn't really care about frame data (although I should). I saw on amazon ratings that it wasn't good.

Damn, Wish I'd known before cancelling the order. I wanted the book for strats, didn't really care about frame data (although I should). I saw on amazon ratings that it wasn't good.

It's written in a "this is preparation for tournaments" type of style, which I guess can be off-putting to people who have no intention of going to one. Nonetheless the information is still solid. Oh and it is horribly organized. Prepare to sticky pages in order to find anything quickly.

Peagles

Random question but does anyone know the name of the title screen music? I got a craving to listen to it but my partner has the soundtrack in his car. I'm actually really digging the tunes in this game (not unusual for Tekken and me, but listening to it in the car has been really cool).

Oh nevermind found it! Dawn of the Beat :p

Top Bottom