• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Yeah shits scary man. I play with my pointer and middle finger to push buttons and I have long fingers so my hand is in a really awkward position. I also use L1 as my tag button so my left pointer finger is always resting on it and that hurts a bit too. With a stick I can lay my right hand flat and relieve the stress on it. Only thing is I suck ass on stick for Tekken. Any other fighting game is fine but with Tekken I cant move as well and have way too many execution errors.

Almost my exact situation, except there was the added fact that I only get a chance to play really late when I'm done with work and a stick would make too much noise

That grip is definitely unhealthy.

Man, Tekken causing bodily harm. Casuals don't know about that

dat hardcore gaming

Sayah

You play on ps3? I need a someone to teach me nina. I'm currently playing T6 and dont really know where I stand (skill level wise). I'm waiting for my TTT2 copy to come in from amazon. I'm usually offensive, only bc I suck at defending/countering.

Yeah, I play on PS3. And thankfully, players can do online practice sessions in TTT2. Let me know when you get TTT2 and we can do some practice. :)

Can you record some of your ranked matches?

I'll have to set stuff up to record. If TTT2 replay data works like T6, then I think you should be able to view all the replays I saved through the game anyway. Will have to check this tomorrow to make sure.

AAK

Soooo.... I just got this invitation on my WTF account that I though was finally giong to be Master Milk's invitation but instead:

チーム加入の招待を受けました "Balance", by BRYAN. チームページからチーム情報を閲覧できるようになります

Google translate:

We will be able to view the information from the team. Teams page "Balance" was received, by BRYAN an invitation to join the team

Anyone else get this? Team Balance is actually the Korean team of Leedy, Ji3emoon Ace, Rain, Qudans, and 200won that had this legendary final battle with the Japanese Final Weapon team in this tournament, check out the finals:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvNmpzbw2M
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh1PenNj2Sc
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYHFQinkJk

No idea who this guy is. Also, man this game is so fun that I don't want to just master one team, I feel like I'll be missing out... but I'll never get better if I don't grind it out with one team :( Annoying Dilemma.

Jubs

I dont't have ttt2 yet, but i've heard movement was "buffed" or "better" in ttt2 than it was in t6. Is this really the case? And how did it get better? Do you move faster? More leniency in input?

On that note, i'm finally getting the hang of backdash cancel on 1p side. It's not pretty, but it's serviceable. 2p side is another story though. Really difficult and hard on my thumbs.

vocab

I dont't have ttt2 yet, but i've heard movement was "buffed" or "better" in ttt2 than it was in t6. Is this really the case? And how did it get better? Do you move faster? More leniency in input?

On that note, i'm finally getting the hang of backdash cancel on 1p side. It's not pretty, but it's serviceable. 2p side is another story though. Really difficult and hard on my thumbs.

Seems the same to me.

AAK

Backdash is slightly buffed. It's subtle but there is a definite tangible improvement. The Sidestep however is monstrously buffed.

Gambit61

The TTT2 COMBO app on iOS is godlike for frame data/movelist info.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/combo-for-tekken-tag-2/id559576973?mt=8

It's not free. It's 2.99. But I have yet to find a better app for this kind of stuff. You can also keep track of combos/save your own for reference.

Great resource, I use it when I'm playing/testing stuff.

EDIT: Also the Wii U version of TTT2 is awesome.

Wow, thanks for reminding me. My friend was telling me about it but I figured there wasn't an Android version. Looks like I was wrong lol.

COMBO for TEKKEN TAG 2
haijin.co
http://goo.gl/Kgwzr

"Looks like Snoop Lion didn't help the sales...

Thoughts? I disagree with what the author wrote, but then again, I already had a negative opinion about the guy beforehand, so I'm already biased. :p"

He's at least partially correct. Tekken will never gain significant traction in the USA as is, but it remains to be seen if "dumbing it down" will actually get it anywhere near the Capcom fighters (and I'd say even having regular tournaments that are 1/2-3/4 the entrants of Capcom fighters regularly would be fantastic). The question for Namco is whether that's important to them enough to potentially alienate the other territories where it is the #1 fighting game or not. Maybe that's something they'll shoot for with TxSF.

Almost my exact situation, except there was the added fact that I only get a chance to play really late when I'm done with work and a stick would make too much noise

That grip is definitely unhealthy.

Man, Tekken causing bodily harm. Casuals don't know about that

dat hardcore gaming

Tekken is dat serious business.
http://shoryuken.com/2012/10/01/getting-ready-for-a-new-battle/

Looks like Snoop Lion didn't help the sales...

Thoughts? I disagree with what the author wrote, but then again, I already had a negative opinion about the guy beforehand, so I'm already biased. :p
So basically we gotta dumb down Tekken so more lazy ass N.American players will pick it up. No thanks.

One more week till I can start trolling with Dr. B. Can't wait.

Do we know if Dr.B will be released next week for sure? I think the plan is to release a little bit here and there and not all at once. I hope I'm wrong though.

Degen

after a year of saying "I should" and "I'm about to," I finally ordered myself a HitBox controller

So I'm probably about to be the best there ever was. Anybody down to go win some tournaments with me? Preferably don't be a Williams player because my team doesn't need that reputation

DEATH™

after a year of saying "I should" and "I'm about to," I finally ordered myself a HitBox controller

So I'm probably about to be the best there ever was. Anybody down to go win some tournaments with me? Preferably don't be a Williams player because my team doesn't need that reputation

+1000000 Movement for you.

Congratulations bro, just buying a hitbox instantly makes everyone you fight super-free.

Thoughts? I disagree with what the author wrote, but then again, I already had a negative opinion about the guy beforehand, so I'm already biased. :p

SRK reached a new low...

The game is deep, but all of the concepts are SUPER EASY to grasp, especially for those who actually practice/fan of martial arts. When I played this game, I didn't know about the term Punish and Frames. What I know is when AK does the train (f+1+4 shoulder), his face is wide open after it, so I attack quickly. When someone uses attacks that trips me, I use a attack that makes me jump. If someone abuses a attack on my head, I duck. When I'm knocked down, I want to stand up quickly, but if my opponent recklessly runs to me, I'm gonna roll on the side. I didn't know I'm applying "advanced" stuff already, I'm just doing what people do in a real fight. It can't be simpler than that.

Second, I can't believe how people complain about "not having time". Tekken's skillsets are not time consuming to practice. Learning this takes time, but not the whole day type of time. People assume that you need to spend 5 hours a day to learn stuff. You can be great at BDC by practicing it for 10~15 mins a day, 3~4 times a week, or even less. I think the problem is people want to be good overnight, which is opposite of what Tekken, or martial arts in that matter, is all about. You want to be good at something, train for it, and be smart about it. Tekken rewards people who smartly put the time for it.

I seriously want to make a wiki page just for this...

Sayah

>:D

No, Tekken doesn't need to be made easier to appeal to N. American gamers. He actually said it might possibly take a decade to learn Tekken. No, just no. I also don't know how much (as the article mentions) SFIV and MvC3 got "dumbed down" since I didn't play the previous incarnations of those series extensively but I think both of those games also require a lot of time to learn as well. I sure as hell still suck at SFIV but I have a whole ton of fun with it regardless.

After Tekken 5, I had taken a 2-3 year break from Tekken. And when T6 launched, I barely remembered anything at all. Played the game, practiced a lot and there we have it, I improved over time. It's not hard. It's a learning process.

And if people want to play Tekken casually, then they have that option.

Also, this is contradictory:

When what you have is a roster of almost seventy characters, all of whom have a unique move set that creates thousands of possible action outcomes modified by venue selection, opponent, hit state, movement, and stage position? All on a ceaseless flow chart with thousands of branches? That’s not something that screams, “Hey, new people! Come check this out!”

Where to begin? The roster is a great starting point. Do we honestly need so many characters, many of whom are only minor variations on the same theme? Three different capoeira fighters, all just different enough to require you to learn their individual traits? Jaycee… and then Julia Chang returns as DLC? Two different Law characters?

Sayah

DEATH™;42750752 said:
+1000000 Movement for you.

Congratulations bro, just buying a hitbox instantly makes everyone you fight super-free.

SRK reached a new low...

The game is deep, but all of the concepts are SUPER EASY to grasp, especially for those who actually practice/fan of martial arts. When I played this game, I didn't know about the term Punish and Frames. What I know is when AK does the train (f+1+4 shoulder), his face is wide open after it, so I attack quickly. When someone uses attacks that trips me, I use a attack that makes me jump. If someone abuses a attack on my head, I duck. When I'm knocked down, I want to stand up quickly, but if my opponent recklessly runs to me, I'm gonna roll on the side. I didn't know I'm applying "advanced" stuff already, I'm just doing what people do in a real fight. It can't be simpler than that.

Second, I can't believe how people complain about "not having time". Tekken's skillsets are not time consuming to practice. Learning this takes time, but not the whole day type of time. People assume that you need to spend 5 hours a day to learn stuff. You can be great at BDC by practicing it for 10~15 mins a day, 3~4 times a week, or even less. I think the problem is people want to be good overnight, which is opposite of what Tekken, or martial arts in that matter, is all about. You want to be good at something, train for it, and be smart about it. Tekken rewards people who smartly put the time for it.

I seriously want to make a wiki page just for this...

I don't follow or care for SRK or anything but:
(The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of Shoryuken)

Regardless, it wouldn't be wrong to say Tekken hate is visible on their site and else where. Especially when you have Marvel fanboys that get bitter and throw tantrums anytime a game other than their own is being streamed.

DEATH™

I don't follow or care for SRK or anything but:

Regardless, it wouldn't be wrong to say Tekken hate is visible on their site and else where. Especially when you have Marvel fanboys that get bitter and throw tantrums anytime a game other than their own is being streamed.

What I'm saying is when this article reaches front page will speak alot about the site. This is something that is IGN-like, which is not expected for a hardcore FG site. Good thing they pulled it out. Ultradavid disagreed :)

Sayah

I think I'm going to play.

I am online. :)

DEATH™;42752705 said:
What I'm saying is when this article reaches front page will speak alot about the site. This is something that is IGN-like, which is not expected for a hardcore FG site. Good thing they pulled it out. Ultradavid disagreed :)

Ah, good.

I'm officially done with this game. It's simply too hard, and I have faced the fact I'll never be decent. Don't get me wrong though, the game is great, but I just can't do it.

Farewell Tekken GAF.

Keeping the Steve Avy tho

Sayah

I'm officially done with this game. It's simply too hard, and I have faced the fact I'll never be decent. Don't get me wrong though, the game is great, but I just can't do it.

Farewell Tekken GAF.

Steve is a hard character. You should try someone else before you quit for good. Like Lili or somebody else.
Edit: lol, I like the stream title.

DEATH™

Farewell Tekken GAF.

Bro, don't start with steve... or watch Hajime no Ippo bro... SERIOUSLY...

Mashiba's Flicker, Ippo's Peakaboo, Gazelle Punch (DCK 1), Volg White Fang (WS 1, 2), Sendo Smasher (WS 1+2), and so much more that will make you fall in love with steve. You can never find a boxer character that's so fun to play... Balrog and Dudley don't even compare...

Don't give up bro

Farewell Tekken GAF.

It's really not that hard. Don't focus on the super long combos. Focus on punishing first.

DEATH™

It's really not that hard. Don't focus on the super long combos. Focus on punishing first.

Actually, Steve's not the guy you want punishing... His only worthy punisher is 112, which is good or bad on how you look at it. Bad means he got crappy punishing, good means you don't have to remember stuff...

@count try to learn first all of his moves and stances (Hajime no Ippo GREATLY helps. Seriously). Then try to play him like Jun, having all stance transitions knocked down, doing constant pressure to your opponent, then use b+1 and b+2 when they decided to be aggressive on you. That's it...

AAK

It's one thing to give up if you don't like the game, but if you do like it, stick around. There are plenty of people who managed to pick up the game in a short amount of time. Here's this guy:

sdt-psd2.jpg

Killerdoll form Finland. He first touched Tekken with Tekken 6, and within 2 years, he manged to become probably the best Armor King player in the world.

But then again, the moral of the story is to set your goals at a feasible amount. You can definitely play the game at a rudimentary level just by using characters like Jack, Lili, Forest, Paul.

CSX

Anyone else get this? Team Balance is actually the Korean team of Leedy, Ji3emoon Ace, Rain, Qudans, and 200won that had this legendary final battle with the Japanese Final Weapon team in this tournament, check out the finals:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvNmpzbw2M
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh1PenNj2Sc
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYHFQinkJk

No idea who this guy is. Also, man this game is so fun that I don't want to just master one team, I feel like I'll be missing out... but I'll never get better if I don't grind it out with one team :( Annoying Dilemma.

Haha. those vids remind me back when i started learning how to play. Watch all those vids of top japanese and korean players as inspiration. (Dont worry Markman. I started watching your and SDTekken's matches later on).

The guy that got me into tekken was definitely Korea's greatest DVJ player, Qudans.

He pulling off one of the sickest comebacks of all time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgX8dOffN8

And him destroying Mainstreet Ryu (Japan #1 player at the time) in under a minute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTZ13uYUxPI

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Ah. You guys are making me feel old. I remember hanging out with qudans and MaDDoGJiN like it was yesterday.

I actually have that Gunsou cup DVD. It was such a SICK watch. So many great matches on it.

Top Bottom