• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DR2K

Banned
DEATH™;42757704 said:
I can't believe how much traction that article gets.

I'm losing hope to American FGC.

3D fighters are hard. Stop being 3D fighters.

How is Tekken doing in the US FGC wise?

Dereck

Looks like I'm not just randomly throwing out stuff now during matches. Actually able to last more than 20 seconds during rounds now against AAK and Sayah.

I have to say I'm a little embarrassed.

Since I got the game, I completed Fight Lab, stayed in practice mode for a while to get familiar with all of my character's best moves/other moves I recognized from SFxT, and abused the AI in Ghost Battles.

I fought my friend and of course, I got floored. I really underestimated movement in this game. I would side step and move back, but I wasn't entirely sure of my purpose. I had no idea what to do when I got knocked down. When I got a hit in, I panicked and rushed my combos and screwed up the inputs.

It's time for me to go back and learn things properly. I think that my switching between a pad and arcade stick isn't helping either. I like that the buttons are closer together on an arcade stick so two button inputs come out a lot better, but movement is better on a pad.

This IS pretty difficult, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Sayah

Since I got the game, I completed Fight Lab, stayed in practice mode for a while to get familiar with all of my character's best moves/other moves I recognized from SFxT, and abused the AI in Ghost Battles.

I fought my friend and of course, I got floored. I really underestimated movement in this game. I would side step and move back, but I wasn't entirely sure of my purpose. I had no idea what to do when I got knocked down. When I got a hit in, I panicked and rushed my combos and screwed up the inputs.

It's time for me to go back and learn things properly. I think that my switching between a pad and arcade stick isn't helping either. I like that the buttons are closer together on an arcade stick so two button inputs come out a lot better, but movement is better on a pad.

If you want to make two button presses easier on pad, you can assign commands to the shoulder buttons from the controller settings.

If you want to make two button presses easier on pad, you can assign commands to the shoulder buttons from the controller settings.

Oh yeah, that's right. I usually just try to learn the default button configuration for most fighters, so I guess I can try that out. Thank you.

AAK

Is there a way to buffer ff motions? It seems like the window is tiny For Drag's ff 2.

I have the same issue at times with my Hwoarang JFSR combo's where I have to use his RFF f,f+3. The main thing is to make sure you input the f,f immediately when your Drag finishes the previous animation, no sooner, any later and your opponent might tech roll out.

DEATH™

About movement, I hope this helps...

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2/System/The_Idea_of_Spacing

Also, about button inputs, Button buffering really helps. Aris have a tutorial vid about it too... which demonstrates it better than mine...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmOfh8-r2ys

But here's mine if in case you like it :p

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2/System/Art_of_Buffering

And bro, keep it up, we've been there before, but you'll get there eventually. We're not saying we're pretty good, but we've reach the point where we fully enjoy the game with it's depth...

His f,f+2? The bound move?

What are you doing it after? It's pretty lenient for that move.

It's one of the sample combos (number 3). Following f+1

In general I always screw up ff inputs with just a forward. If I slow it down and make sure I do it properly, I just miss. I was hoping there would be a neat little trick

DEATH™;42758554 said:
About movement, I hope this helps...

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2/System/The_Idea_of_Spacing

Also, about button inputs, Button buffering really helps. Aris have a tutorial vid about it too... which demonstrates it better than mine...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmOfh8-r2ys

But here's mine if in case you like it :p

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2/System/Art_of_Buffering

And bro, keep it up, we've been there before, but you'll get there eventually. We're not saying we're pretty good, but we've reach the point where we fully enjoy the game with it's depth...

Thank you for the links! I gave them a quick read but I'll be sure to read them in depth tomorrow!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good games guys. Once I learn combos and movement I think I'll be good. Just trying to win with basic fundamentals.

Sayah

^
AAK with that crazy winning streak today. :p

Also wondering if TTT2 can beat SSBB as my most played game ever. At the rate I'm playing (4-6 hours per day), it probably will.

CSX

Looks like I'm not just randomly throwing out stuff now during matches. Actually able to last more than 20 seconds during rounds now against AAK and Sayah.

Funny, when i played you, i thought you would be pretty evenly matched against AAK. Just not used to fighting his characters?

Sayah

Awesome.

Am I getting better yo?

Yeah, definitely. If I can suggest something, it would be to create more pressure and do better high/low mixups. When I face other Law/Miguel players online, they often create pressure and sort of trap the opponent in an onslaught of quick and damaging moves. Watching replay data from top players may be helpful.

Sayah

Is there a playlist of music this guy uses anywhere? Didn't know the streams were still throwing jabs at DOA lol.

Kadey is a girl. lol

DEATH™;42759787 said:
I watch that archives everytime... I'm scouting you guys so when the sem ends, I'll be prepared for you guys :p

Looking forward to it :)

More competition is always nice. :D

AAK

Am I getting better yo?
Most definitely brother. And since you use both Laws I guess you could try to apply more of Forest's cancels and Marshall's parry into DSS shenanigans instead of the 4,3 mixups since now I can lduck and launch punish you for it..
Holy balls...

EWGFs, wavedashing, hellsweeps, JFSRs

This is not the AAK i played a couple weeks ago hotdamn.

Yall are improving so much without me T____T. Damn you midterms.
This was pretty much the first time ever except for the first time I fought Sayah in T6 where I could get a win streak > 5. I guess I am improving :p

My favorite team to use in this game is Hwoarang/Julia. But it really doeas look like my Heihachi/AK and DJin/Christie teams perform way better.

Yeah, I play on PS3. And thankfully, players can do online practice sessions in TTT2. Let me know when you get TTT2 and we can do some practice. :)

Sounds awesome, my psn is itzknickknac. I'm still waiting for my copy to come in.

A bit off topic:
Anyone wanna play T6 w me for a lil bit? I need practice with human players + trophies. However, the connection has been shit since I've been on. There was an error during the last few of my games.

CPS2

I'm kinda glad that srk post was removed, it just seems like the wrong place for those comments. I don't think the srk front page should have editorials against fighting games at all, it achieves absolutely nothing.

Horseress

Frame data accurate?

It seems accurate to me, not 100% sure about it tho

I'm kinda glad that srk post was removed, it just seems like the wrong place for those comments. I don't think the srk front page should have editorials against fighting games at all, it achieves absolutely nothing.

LOL, I thought it was just removed from the first page, but it was really deleted! I have nothing against Darry, but that was a shitty article

danmaku

So, I spent some time in training with Wang Jinrei and he's great! His b+1 parry is sooo classy (if you can land it) and his basic juggles aren't hard at all. I just wish I could remove his beard, it clips with most outfits and it looks ugly. Now I just need a partner... I tried him with Lili and Alisa, just because I can play them, to some extent, but I don't know if it's a good team or not. Lei Wulong would be an obvious choice, but that would mean A LOT more training mode for me lol.

vixlar

DEATH™;42750752 said:
+1000000 Movement for you.

Congratulations bro, just buying a hitbox instantly makes everyone you fight super-free.

SRK reached a new low...

The game is deep, but all of the concepts are SUPER EASY to grasp, especially for those who actually practice/fan of martial arts. When I played this game, I didn't know about the term Punish and Frames. What I know is when AK does the train (f+1+4 shoulder), his face is wide open after it, so I attack quickly. When someone uses attacks that trips me, I use a attack that makes me jump. If someone abuses a attack on my head, I duck. When I'm knocked down, I want to stand up quickly, but if my opponent recklessly runs to me, I'm gonna roll on the side. I didn't know I'm applying "advanced" stuff already, I'm just doing what people do in a real fight. It can't be simpler than that.

Second, I can't believe how people complain about "not having time". Tekken's skillsets are not time consuming to practice. Learning this takes time, but not the whole day type of time. People assume that you need to spend 5 hours a day to learn stuff. You can be great at BDC by practicing it for 10~15 mins a day, 3~4 times a week, or even less. I think the problem is people want to be good overnight, which is opposite of what Tekken, or martial arts in that matter, is all about. You want to be good at something, train for it, and be smart about it. Tekken rewards people who smartly put the time for it.

I seriously want to make a wiki page just for this...

This, sir, is one of the best posts I've read on this thread.

Some time ago I heard that one of the reasons Tekken and Virtua Fighter are famous on Japan is because as Martial Arts are an obligation on basic school, people used that learnings in the game.

AAK

Sounds awesome, my psn is itzknickknac. I'm still waiting for my copy to come in.

A bit off topic:
Anyone wanna play T6 w me for a lil bit? I need practice with human players + trophies. However, the connection has been shit since I've been on. There was an error during the last few of my games.

Sure I don't mind, feel free to add me and challenge me to a match in T6.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I haven't played a Tekken in a long time, but I really like this game (playing on PS3). I've been playing mostly Ghost Battles and learning the basics and trying out the characters - the GB is plenty challenging and going online probably wouldn't do me any favors IMO.

It's insanely entertaining. I can pop it in for an hour and feel like I am getting much better. I tried UMVC3 a few months ago and it was like pounding my head against the wall.

Degen

on the topic of that article that got posted the other day, I have no idea where that "it takes XX years to play Tekken" idea originated but it has got to go

heard that one IRL and just shook my head. It's stated like common knowledge and you only get it from people who play nothing but 2D

Doomshine

It's one of the sample combos (number 3). Following f+1

In general I always screw up ff inputs with just a forward. If I slow it down and make sure I do it properly, I just miss. I was hoping there would be a neat little trick

I haven't looked at the sample combos, but I'm assuming it's something like d/f+2 f+4,4,3 f+1 ff+2?

The timing for that is somewhat tight, but my suggestion would be to test how quickly you can input a move after f+1 (do like 1 followed by 4 to get a sense of the timing) and then try again.

AAK

on the topic of that article that got posted the other day, I have no idea where that "it takes XX years to play Tekken" idea originated but it has got to go

heard that one IRL and just shook my head. It's stated like common knowledge and you only get it from people who play nothing but 2D

I didn't even get to see the article, but this was the best reply on twitter:

https://twitter.com/reepal/status/252972687478095873

iwxZBJa0lBTad.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Play Kuma/Panda player who's just mashing, and lose.

Follow that up by facing a Heihachi/Steve, and a Lars/Law player. Both knows their shit, landing EWGFs, nice TA's, good wall pressure. I win both.

You can't explain that!

Then got rematched against the Panda/Kuma player and won, but he did take 2 rounds

Horseress

Follow that up by facing a Heihachi/Steve, and a Lars/Law player. Both knows their shit, landing EWGFs, nice TA's, good wall pressure. I win both.

You can't explain that!

Then got rematched against the Panda/Kuma player and won, but he did take 2 rounds

Dem bears man! Never sleep on those

You can't explain that!

You can't fight button mashers like skilled players. Let button mashers do their thing until they do something stupid and punish them. You have much more room to turtle against button mashers because they don't really have a good way of punishing you for constantly blocking them.

Ferrio

Banned
You can't fight button mashers like skilled players. Let button mashers do their thing until they do something stupid and punish them. You have much more room to turtle against button mashers because they don't really have a good way of punishing you for constantly blocking them.

Unfortunately it was my first kuma/panda fight. So I'd be "Oh the string has to end there" BOP. "Oh he's on the ground I'll hit him!" and the bear does some weird crawl bullshit.

DEATH™;42750752 said:
The game is deep, but all of the concepts are SUPER EASY to grasp, especially for those who actually practice/fan of martial arts. When I played this game, I didn't know about the term Punish and Frames. What I know is when AK does the train (f+1+4 shoulder), his face is wide open after it, so I attack quickly. When someone uses attacks that trips me, I use a attack that makes me jump. If someone abuses a attack on my head, I duck. When I'm knocked down, I want to stand up quickly, but if my opponent recklessly runs to me, I'm gonna roll on the side. I didn't know I'm applying "advanced" stuff already, I'm just doing what people do in a real fight. It can't be simpler than that.

But half of the cast in Tekken are robots and ninjas that just teleport and fly all over the place with no regards to realism so i would NOT try to play it by eye and lean on realism :D

Sayah

He literally said it takes years to decades in the article. I lol'd.

I didn't even get to see the article, but this was the best reply on twitter:

https://twitter.com/reepal/status/252972687478095873

iwxZBJa0lBTad.jpg

I quoted part of the article on the previous page where the author was being contradictory and presenting false information.

A bit off topic:

I'll add you when I get on. And I don't mind helping you get online trophies in T6. :)
Any characters being released today on PSN?

Starting October 9.

Dereck

What does turtling mean?

Top Bottom