• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

TheMink

Im a huge fighter fan, street fighter mostly.
But ive never really liked 3d fighters. I hated soul caliber 5.

But this looks awesome, so a couple questions:
-will any of my skill transfer?
-is block a sperate button or just back?
-in sf x tk i played as kazuya quite a but, will he play similar?
-what characters would you recomend for a Ken player in TTT2?
-lastly, what can expect from this game?

DR2K

Banned

Hold back or nothing to automatically guard.

Depends. What are skilled at? Some things you'll have to relearn and some are universal.

Based on my experience from Tekken and SFxTK no one really played anything alike, they just looked similar. More suited for a Kazuya player to answer.

I believe Aris's character impressions were linked earlier. Good and low execution characters are in Tekken as well.

You should check out the tutorials linked in the OT.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
a7fa0178f96611e1ba4022000a1e8932_7.jpg

Got some reading to do tonight!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

TEKKEN is very unique, the most important one that would carry over from any fighting game is a good sense of spacing. Movement in TEKKEN is a big more difficult than most fighting games, so if you're not comfortable with dashing to create space you can always start off by blocking(holding back) and going from there.

I would go as far to say that no one in SFXTK plays like a TEKKEN character or how they should be played competitively. This game plays completely different.

How do you play Ken? Are you flowchart style? Do you fireball trap? Do you like to air tatsu and hope for hits?

Take everything you know about 2D fighters and throw it away, this game is on a 3D plane and the thing you should focus on is learning how to block, then learn how to move. Combos/juggles and offense is something that can be learned from watching videos/matches online. The most important thing to focus on at first is blocking.

What to expect from this game? You'll get out of it, what you put into it. That I can guarantee.

Jason2slow

Neo Member

-of course some skill will transfer, like how well your timing/execution is. only thing i think is worth mentioning is that tekken requires a lot of stick movement, and that turns away a lot of people i've seen try to pick up tekken.

-tekken has neutral blocking so if you don't press anything you will block, some moves however will require you to press back to block, strings that will put you in negative.

-his moves are similar,but you'd have to get used to the 4 button from 6 button inputs. but his wavedash is not qcf,n,qcf etc., it is f,n,d,d/f repeat, more of a shoryuken movement.

-i would recommend starting with an easy character in tekken, i think easy characters to pick up are lars, paul, lili. but im sure people have different opionins on this.

-its my favorite fighting game, not as popular as sf in north america, but there is a bigger following around the world then sf. the hardest thing to pick up that i hear from newer players is the movement, it requires practice...a lot of it actually. i also hear some people say that wr (while rising) moves are hard to grasp as well, but this also involves stick movement. you might get frustrated with the juggles and the oki game, but once you realize why you're getting reset and how setups work, you'll love the system more, that's how i feel about it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
How are the Mishimas to learn? If I remember correctly they're meant to be quite technical to get a grasp of.

Also, Angel seems as if she'll be in the A/A+ tier since most of her moves are derived from Mishima characters while she also has moves of her own so if anybody is curious about her she seems like a safe bet for the moment if I'm understanding it correctly.

Mishimas take a lot of dedication. They have a high barrier/learning curve to use at the highest/optimal level, however it is with reward.

Pretty much learning how to wavedash/backdash will help you with any character in TEKKEN. Learning the movement spacing for launcher/EWGF and knowing your ranges with lows (Hellsweep) and cancelling them into other moves will go a long way in understanding the TEKKEN movement/attack system.

For the most part, they are easy on paper. But to be able to effectively use their best tools, you'll have to learn how to do them seamlessly with your movement. Practice of dashing into EWGF or hellsweep or just learning how to pressure to leave opening for those moves is key.

Angel is good, I think. Definitely one of the better characters in the game. She has almost every tool she'd need and even though she doesn't have the range/same reach in her EWGF she is STILL able to make up for it with her other tools (twin pistons, WS launcher - WS+2, and great options/strings).

TheMink

TEKKEN is very unique, the most important one that would carry over from any fighting game is a good sense of spacing. Movement in TEKKEN is a big more difficult than most fighting games, so if you're not comfortable with dashing to create space you can always start off by blocking(holding back) and going from there.

I would go as far to say that no one in SFXTK plays like a TEKKEN character or how they should be played competitively. This game plays completely different.

How do you play Ken? Are you flowchart style? Do you fireball trap? Do you like to air tatsu and hope for hits?

Take everything you know about 2D fighters and throw it away, this game is on a 3D plane and the thing you should focus on is learning how to block, then learn how to move. Combos/juggles and offense is something that can be learned from watching videos/matches online. The most important thing to focus on at first is blocking.

What to expect from this game? You'll get out of it, what you put into it. That I can guarantee.

Thank god i can hold back to block XD
I literally could not learn how to block with a button lol :p

To answer the question about what im good at, i would say footsies and combos. Also the inputs im very good at, i rarely mess up an input. However im terrible at inputs that require a neutral possition on the stick.

With ken yes i use air tatsus alot, i rarely fireball trap, and im quite aggresive.

EDIT: are there supers?

CSX

Thank god i can hold back to block XD
I literally could not learn how to block with a button lol :p

To answer the question about what im good at, i would say footsies and combos. Also the inputs im very good at, i rarely mess up an input. However im terrible at inputs that require a neutral possition on the stick.

With ken yes i use air tatsus alot, i rarely fireball trap, and im quite aggresive.

EDIT: are there supers?

No supers. Just tag combos and a rage system.

and if you want to play kazuya, you need to learn how to input neutrals. Electrics, hellsweeps, all have f,n,d,df notation. Though correct me if im wrong Tekken stick players, you can just do forward and then a quarter circle on a stick.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
How's ancient ogre compared to TTT1? Planning to run heihachi/ogre

Both Ogres are way different from their TTT1 iterations and play nothing alike.

The jury is still out on Ancient Ogre. He can do damage yeah, has good tools as well. But his risk/reward is questionable to me.

TheMink

No supers. Just tag combos and a rage system.

and if you want to play kazuya, you need to learn how to input neutrals. Electrics, hellsweeps, all have f,n,d,df notation. Though correct me if im wrong Tekken stick players, you can just do forward and then a quarter circle on a stick.

How are the tag combos preformed? (how do you switch, is it fairly simple?)

EDIT: i have a fightstick btw.

DSix

Banned
So all the characters I want to play are D tier :(

Isn't Jinpachi a mishima? do the Mishimas include the Kazamas? If tiers don't matter then all is well.
Tiers mean a lot less in Tekken than in any other fighters. I traumatize Mishima players with my supposedly low tier Asuka. The game is balanced, it's more about having a character that fits your own style.

Damn she looks so good. 2 month to wait until unlock will be hard.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Please watch the Level Up Your Game videos in the OP. They go over basic juggles/combos and tag assault combos.

(Fight Lab spoiler)

twitch.tv/muertevida/b/331415777

@29:20 Huh, looks a little like the fight scene in Tekken Blood Vengeance. Oh and nice to know that Harada appears in Fight Lab. :p

My god the load-times are obscene.

Installation is pretty much a requirement for the 360 version.

i wonder if this is a problem on the PS3 version as well.

only gripe i have about this game is that every hit creates those flashing blips, do they do that to cover up the skin collision detection or something? thats one thing i like about DoA 5, no flashing blips...

oh and i also wish survival mode was like Tekken 4 where you walk through areas and fight multiple enemies, instead of just stage fight after stage fight.

CSX

i wonder if this is a problem on the PS3 version as well.

only gripe i have about this game is that every hit creates those flashing blips, do they do that to cover up the skin collision detection or something? thats one thing i like about DoA 5, no flashing blips...

oh and i also wish survival mode was like Tekken 4 where you walk through areas and fight multiple enemies, instead of just stage fight after stage fight.

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that ps3 hdd installation is mandatory. Loading times are good though.

i guess flashing blips are more of a tradition and its a nice way to know if a certain hit did a lot of damage if you dont have a practice mode (arcades) or currently not in practice mode.

The survival mode you are talking about is Tekken Force mode which is competely different from surivial mode

DirtyLary

44-Minute IGN Quick Look of Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Edit: In other news, a poster on GameFAQs who claims to have acquired the TTT2 strategy guide is saying that the DLC characters are not included in the guide. On one hand, that sort of sucks since I'm planning on picking up Kunimitsu, but on the other, having seen TTT2's in-game demonstration of combos and just how extensive the training mode is, I personally probably didn't need the guide anyway.

Thanks for that video. This will be my 1st tekken game. Looks like there are a ton of tools to help a complete novice learn the game. I also love that the dualshock is a viable controller for this game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Someone mentioned a few pages ago that ps3 hdd installation is mandatory. Loading times are good though.

i guess flashing blips are more of a tradition and its a nice way to know if a certain hit did a lot of damage if you dont have a practice mode (arcades) or currently not in practice mode.

The survival mode you are talking about is Tekken Force mode which is competely different from surivial mode
I thought you could turn them off?
Hit effects I mean

Raonak

Banned

It's sortof a tekken trademark. Each character having their own unique blips (well, for powered attacks). It's been there since T1, and it's sorta ingrained in it's soul now.

It's directly comparible to the MGS alert signs/sound. just wouldn't feel the same without it.

raven777

When I see the console screenshots, the life bar is a lot smaller than the ones in the arcades.

Did they adjust this for the console version or the resolution of the game is different or something?

Anyways, I wish it doesn't look as T6 in PS3.

Nuklear

Banned
Art said on his stream the NamcoCops said he couldn't stream the game till Tuesday. Pretty fail on Namco's part because the only reason I bought Soul Calibur 5 was because of early streams. They got me hype enough to impulse buy it. I didn't have any intentions on buying SCV at all but streamers sold me on it.

LowParry

Art said on his stream the NamcoCops said he couldn't stream the game till Tuesday. Pretty fail on Namco's part because the only reason I bought Soul Calibur 5 was because of early streams and got me hype enough to impulse buy it. I didn't have any intentions on buying SCV at all and the same with TT2(still not getting the game).

Sooooooo, watch replays?

Like here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/S8M9E2JX/videos

or here,

http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkenReplays/videos

?

LowParry

Eh...it's not the same. The live social interaction with the streamers build the hype. Youtube does not.

Don't worry man. GAF will keep you hyped up. If anything, give the game a rent and if you're good on it, make that purchase.

DSix

Banned

1- I'd say only a few, the mindset of Tekken gameplay is quite different from the old school 2D fighters. The execution as a whole is much easier in Tekken. It's more about learning to use the right moves at the right times (with 100's of moves per characters, it might take a while).

2- It's back.

3- Only loosely similar, but yeah it will give you some familiarities with him. You will recognize some of his attacks but they have different properties and uses.

4- I'd say just finish the arcade mode once with every single character and stick with the one you like. With 50+ chars I have no doubt you will find true love.

5- A very different game, the way the character moves in tekken cover much less distances (no jump obviously) it's all about much finer stuff (sidesteps, mid/low mindgames and a complex wake up game).

Juggles are obviously the biggest punishers of the game.
As a beginner you will get yourself launched a lot in the beginning. Don't get obsessed with that, the juggles themselves are not that important, it's how you got yourself launched that's important (and to learn how to avoid it).
Practicing your own juggles might feel similar to practicing your chain combos in SF.

DR2K

Banned
The PS3 version has really fast load times from the MLG build. I was shocked at how good it was compared to T6.

360 version loading slower than PS3. . . wha? I wonder if digital foundry will find some dirty secrets.

Esura

Banned
Do Jun play similar to how she did in T2?

I know for a fact that I will be working Jun and Asuka when this comes out.

Once the game is installed (360) the load-times make a drastic drop.
Like it takes a couple seconds for a match to load.

360 version loading slower than PS3. . . wha? I wonder if digital foundry will find some dirty secrets.

Again the PS3 version has a 7+ gig mandatory install. Of course it's going to load faster than a non-installed 360 version.

CSX

When I see the console screenshots, the life bar is a lot smaller than the ones in the arcades.

Did they adjust this for the console version or the resolution of the game is different or something?

Anyways, I wish it doesn't look as T6 in PS3.

The smaller life bar thing was in the demo too. The demo let you choose between the big arcade lifebars and the smaller ones. Depending on how your TV shows the game, the original big lifebars might be cutoff. I had to change the picture settings on my TV to get the big lifebars to fully display.

how big is the mandatory install on PS3? cuz i keep running out of space on my system, can hardly download anymore demos without getting a 'not enough memory' reminder, and i don't even know where all the memory's gone ;_;

edit:

Again the PS3 version has a 7+ gig mandatory install. Of course it's going to load faster than a non-installed 360 version.

oh, ok. fuck :(

DR2K

Banned
Once the game is installed (360) the load-times make a drastic drop.
Like it takes a couple seconds for a match to load.

Even then 360 games load faster because of the DVD drive.

CSX

Even then 360 games load faster because of the DVD drive.

i thought in terms of load speeds its 360 disc < Ps3 installed < 360 installed.

makes sense since reading from a hard drive is a lot faster than the reading speeds of a dvd drive.

Top Bottom