• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
I'm really enjoying this game but two recent glitches are starting to bother me. I get a Lucky Box after EVERY match (win or lose...sometimes multiple boxes) and there is a noticeable red line that scrolls across the screen in both Ghost Match and Versus mode. The red line does not appear when doing Time Attack. This issue does not occur in other PS3 games. Here is an example:

dw8idl.jpg

I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?

Degen

knocc em down, AAK

just don't do anything I do and you'll be fine

edit:
I'm really enjoying this game but two recent glitches are starting to bother me. I get a Lucky Box after EVERY match (win or lose...sometimes multiple boxes) and there is a noticeable red line that scrolls across the screen in both Ghost Match and Versus mode. The red line does not appear when doing Time Attack. This issue does not occur in other PS3 games. Here is an example:

dw8idl.jpg

I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?
I figured that it indicated a "bonus rush" or something like that

I'm really enjoying this game but two recent glitches are starting to bother me.

They're not glitches. The little red stripe line thing at the bottom of the screen indicates that you are about to receive a lucky box. It becomes blue If your on 2P side or If the opponent online has a lucky box coming up.

And usually If you get a star icon with your lucky box it means that your getting more lucky boxes so that's probably why you're getting a lot of them.

Oh and good luck AAK! Remember to bust out the 10-hits If you do manage to fight Justin. ;)

DEATH™

Leaving In around an hour for T13... My goal is if I face him anywhere in the tournament is to beat Justin Wong in Tekken. If I do well, maybe I'll be a part of the Canada vs USA TTT2 exhibition on Sunday, but I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, LOL. Lots of killers from Montreal and Toronto and I'm the sole Ottawa representative...

Good luck bro!!! And don't forget to shout us out when you win the trophy!!!

This game is hard, just started playing it today (offline), and got my ass beaten in Arcade mode, even on Easy. I was never more than a very casual player of Tekken (i.e. button masher), hoping to change some of that with this game.

Started going through Fight Lab, seems helpful.

Random question: Can I unlock a Fundoshi costume for male characters if I don't have any of the preorder bonuses/DLC?

None of the preorder DLC is unlockable. It will be coming for free download at some point though.

I'm aware of that. I guess I'm asking if similar items are unlockable. Basically I just want to get some male characters to show more skin... am I SOL without DLC?

I'm aware of that. I guess I'm asking if similar items are unlockable. Basically I just want to get some male characters to show more skin... am I SOL without DLC?

Some characters have wrestling tights that can be purchased, but I don't think it's universal. I think all the males have a topless option for purchase as well (if they aren't that way by default, naturally).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I don't know about the Lucky Boxes, but that red line is supposed to be there. It's been there for me since day one. It's where it usually says "Promotion Chance" if it's a ranking match.

CSX

Well i got my internet fixed up at the moment.

So ill be free wins for a while since im trying out Team Bob online

PSN : CSX142857

Sayah

I feel kind of sad that I haven't been able to play this for two days due to work.
And I'm kind of late but good luck AAK.

Dereck

Sayah you weren't lying about your addiction to TTT2. Your WTF page definitely shows that. Good performance record as well.

Degen

got a secret weapon in the works to take on The Neo Gaf internet website

and by "take on," I mean take OUT

just a little more training and you'll be calling this character "The (insert your best team here) Killer"

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I try to play ranked but I always get baited into accepting 4 bar matches lol. It's no secret I hate online play in general, HOWEVER online play with local friends/training buddies is awesome. I can actually react normally in most of those.

Fun times. :)

DEATH™

First of all, congrats AAK! Getting far in the tounament is something to be proud of. Keep it up!!!

Second... I thought my connection was laggy, until I joined a lobby... Darn rank is frustrating... It's like they purposely try to make it laggy when I get a launch... Don't get that on lobbies at all...

Last, just one trophy left and I can play you all :)

Sayah

Sayah you weren't lying about your addiction to TTT2. Your WTF page definitely shows that. Good performance record as well.

Thanks. :)

got a secret weapon in the works to take on The Neo Gaf internet website

and by "take on," I mean take OUT

just a little more training and you'll be calling this character "The (insert your best team here) Killer"

This should be interesting...........

LowParry

I try to play ranked but I always get baited into accepting 4 bar matches lol. It's no secret I hate online play in general, HOWEVER online play with local friends/training buddies is awesome. I can actually react normally in most of those.

Fun times. :)

So you're downplaying probably THE best online fighter that's currently out? Tsk tsk.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So you're downplaying probably THE best online fighter that's currently out? Tsk tsk.

Did you even read what I wrote?

It's great when it's 5s. It's PLAYABLE when it's at 4s. But even then if I can't react to moves like I can offline, then I don't want to play it like that, lol.

Where am I downplaying the game? :)

alstein

Netcode is only a portion of best online fighter. It's also how the game reacts to slight lag.

Tekken isn't lag friendly at all, moreso than any other fighter, due to how reactionary and twitchy the game is in comparison to all other mainstream fighters (at high level, it isn't as much that way at mid level)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Netcode is only a portion of best online fighter. It's also how the game reacts to slight lag.

Tekken isn't lag friendly at all, moreso than any other fighter, due to how reactionary and twitchy the game is in comparison to all other mainstream fighters (at high level, it isn't as much that way at mid level)

^^ what he said.

LowParry

Maybe from the perspective of a player who plays offline mainly. A lot out there don't have that luxury. I've played my fair share of fighters and I still do think TTT2 has the best online out there. Because of those very reasons of how technical the game is. VF5 is pretty high up there on my list as well. But from my experiences with the game, it's top notch and perhaps the best.

CSX

i swear. there is a namco conspiracy that is preventing me and candy from playing each other...

First its my isp, then failed invites.

Don't worry candy, soon i shall be your punching bag lol

Sayah

Maybe from the perspective of a player who plays offline mainly. A lot out there don't have that luxury. I've played my fair share of fighters and I still do think TTT2 has the best online out there. Because of those very reasons of how technical the game is. VF5 is pretty high up there on my list as well. But from my experiences with the game, it's top notch and perhaps the best.

I have to agree with this. It is an even more remarkable achievement when a game that has more animations, moves, stances, etc. than any other fighter out there is able to produce quality netcode like this.
i swear. there is a namco conspiracy that is preventing me and candy from playing each other...

First its my isp, then failed invites.

Don't worry candy, soon i shall be your punching bag lol

Do either of you have a NAT 3 connection?

alstein

Oh, I'm of the same perspective. Even when I do get to hit tournies, which is almost never now, I look at it this way- I play tournies for a couple hours on a weekend, I play online much more, so I care about the online quality more.

VF5's netcode isn't as good as TTT2- but it's less impacted by small lag. I'll only play games with acceptable netcode now- I liked KOF plenty, but the netcode meant there was no point in training it out.

Then again I rarely play TTT2, I mostly play VF and occasionally Persona these days.

I quit playing DOA period until the next patch due to online not being acceptable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Isn't scv and ttt2 online godlike because of dedicated servers? Every other fighting game is p2p aren't they?

They're peer to peer.

As far as we know there was just a huge amount of effort put into tweaking the game engines and the net code to work as well as possible, based on lessons learned in the previous round of games.

Also, Tekken seems to back up the assertions that netcode for 3D fighting games is partially held back by CPU of the current consoles, as it achieves its performance by disabling background characters in stages when playing online. To shave off that extra bit of CPU overhead.

Pookmunki

I'm having real trouble finding a partner for my ( admittedly still average) Paul. I do fine using him (and don't want to change due to my awesome Terry Bogard duds) but it all falls appart when I tag in as I haven't found a strong character to pair him with.

Any suggestions? I have tried Steve and Feng but someone suggested Bruce would be good?

CSX

I'm having real trouble finding a partner for my ( admittedly still average) Paul. I do fine using him (and don't want to change due to my awesome Terry Bogard duds) but it all falls appart when I tag in as I haven't found a strong character to pair him with.

Any suggestions? I have tried Steve and Feng but someone suggested Bruce would be good?

paul goes with anyone. He has easy filler and finishers when it comes to tag combos. Just find another character you are willing to commit to and he/she will fit fine with paul.

Pookmunki

paul goes with anyone. He has easy filler and finishers when it comes to tag combos. Just find another character you are willing to commit to and he/she will fit fine with paul.

Thanks mate, may just get in the lab with Steve more, his baiting style matches how I play Paul so it's a good fit - I just need to get better!

"Isn't scv and ttt2 online godlike because of dedicated servers? Every other fighting game is p2p aren't they?"

Dedicated servers in a fighting game would be pointless. Actually, they'd be counter-productive.

AAK

How is best-GAF doing?

I'm dead tired. T13 was awesome... But man. I played sooo bad. Approximately 36-38 people entered. I rocked Hwoarang/Julia for the tournament.

My first match was pretty easy, a Lili/Steve player. He was relatively new, but I was playing extremely scrubby. My movement was lame, I wasn't blocking after backdashes, and dropped EVERY combo I did. In the end, I mad axed the poor guy to death since he wasn't used to breaking grabs. Won 2-0.

My second match made me really mad. It was the Angel/DevilJin player that got 8th place. He was definitely new to the game, but a tournament veteran, the worst pairing I could have come up against. He had the simplest playstyle: punish everything with 1,1,2; mixup between Hell sweeps and tsunami kicks. I destroyed him in my first match 3-0. But the second match he just stopped attacking and I tried to pressue him Hwoarang shenanigans but it was an infinite stage and really didn't get the chance to pin him the way I wanted and kept eating 1,1,2's off of whiffs. I knew I was better, but I was just so out of it that I couldn't win. Lost 1-2.

Third match in loser's bracket was against Andytekken who was beating the crap out of me in casuals with Zafina/Kunimitsu. But for the tournament for some reason he switch to Xiaoyu and Kunimitsu. He definitely had better fundamentals but I managed to beat out his Xiaoyu mixups by using Julia's hopkicks everytime she went into BT throwing him off his game and my limited playtesting of Kunimitsu was enough for me to not fall for her tricks. But his fundamentals were enough for it to go to the last round of both games but I still won 2-0.

Fourth match was against a Montreal player that plays with Trevor(Self-Proclaimed best in Canada). His name was Smokingdevil. He used Ling/Jack. He had super good reactions and was really wary about the best options available to him. I could definitely tell it's a result from the sessions he has with the Montreal crew. But regardless, he fell for a lot of Hwoarang things in the first match and I played relatively solid so I got the 3-0 victory. but then he wised up and caught me with a lot of good frame traps and baited me really well that lead into launchers. Lost the next 2 games 1-3 and 0-3 before getting eliminated. Didn't bug me as much, he was clearly the better player.... until he lost to the guy that put me into losers. Then I got confused. Maybe it really was just tournament nerves.

Also, button mapping things like 1+2, 3+4, 1+4, etc. to your triggers on the pad or buttons on a stick were bannned. So there's that to consider.

I got to do some commentary after for some pool play (6:58:50) and the majority of the top 8 (starts 2:36:20). I screwed up a bunch of times with my notation and sometimes I was scared I talked too much. Commentary isn't easy. You get tired pretty easy and you have to balance between the technical aspects and the hype part (which I SUCKED at considerably) :( Ah well, I just stepped up in top 8 because Alex (the guy I was commentating with in pools) was really tired.

Overall though, I got to play a ton of casuals... Let's just say, going to majors is a real experience. There are true MONSTERS out there who REALLY break the game down in practice mode. They WILL break your throws, they WILL read your lows, and they WILL consistently land all their combo's, and they WILL take and reap every single punishable thing they are given (whiff or on block). It was pretty brutal. I don't know if they're just gifted with landing them with such consistency and natural reactions... but there were people there that I just could not touch. Specifically OFDP and Tee-vo (didn't get to play casuals with the MTL crew since I was preparing for VF5 and after VF5 I went straight to do commentary for TTT2 Top 8.

But man, it was fun... and I'm dead tired from the journey. Here's to next time! :)

Degen

Gonna set up a room on PSN tonight if anyone's interested

this is not an invitation. this is a warning. #SecretWeapon

Degen

That's awesome that you made your mark up there, AAK. Really inspiring. Gaf represent

I need to quit chickening out and enter some Philadelphia tourneys. gotta get a little more offline experience than I have now though

Skilletor

I don't know how many of you guys travel for tourneys, but my local community just got some big news. We have a TTT2 tournament in November that will have a guaranteed 750 dollar pot bonus. The amount is still going up. It's mostly local players contributing trying to get more players from out of state to come.

Here is the site:

http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/

Here is the thread:

http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1873&page=11#Item_6

Here is the flyer:

ironfresh_web_zps71c2ed11.jpg

I'm pretty hype. :D

Time for practice!

Top Bottom