• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Just took a look at sales figures, and I'm like WTF? How can the best Tekken since 3, with the biggest cast ever, also be the worst selling Tekken?

Unfortunately, I think one of the problems is the time of release. Close to DOA5, Call of Duty BO2, Medal of Honor, WWE13, Assassins Creed 3, Dishonored, etc. I think it should of came out during the Summer personally. Also, I truly think the game appeals to the "hardcore" fighting game community more than the casual gamers. I know several casual gamers who gave up on this amazing game because of the steep learning curve and the fact that online play is unforgiving for beginners and casuals because it can be intimidating when they literally get juggled for minutes. Hopefully, sales will pick up significantly during Christmas.

I like Marvel and it's fun and all, but it is one of the most broken, combo-heavy, unbalanced fighters I have seen and played. Strange this is, some of the people who gave up on TTT2, play UMVC3 on a regular basis and love it. Yeah, the snobby, Marvel is the best attitude is VERY annoying.

Sayah

Cabbage is here in the U.S at Big two. He's going up against Bloodhawk currently.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Degen vs Gian tomorrow no earlier than 9 depending on what I'm doing.

Missed the first hour but I can watch now. :)

Strange this is, some of the people who gave up on TTT2, play UMVC3 on a regular basis and love it. Yeah, the snobby, Marvel is the best attitude is VERY annoying.

MvC3 is veeeeeery easy to pick up (which has its own benefits imo). It doesn't take long before a beginner's able to do 100+ hit combos. That and all the flash is easy appeal for casuals/beginners. These are the same casuals/beginners who probably suck at other fighters and don't want to put the time and effort to learn them. And thus the snobby mentality on forums, streams, etc.
My theory probably isn't right, lol.

But as far as I know, I definitely haven't seen the same type of mentality from other game communities, even ones which clearly have a bigger fanbase/more international appeal/more technical gameplay/etc. (a la SSFIV/TTT2). During the streams I've watched, I haven't seen (so far) SF, Tekken, SC, Blazblue, KoF or any other fans persistently pester in the following ways on forums/stream chat:

"What time is Marvel?" "Why is this game playing?" "This game is boring." "ZZZzzzzzzz." "When is Marvel?" "THIS GAME SUCKS." etc.

It's literally the most annoying thing ever. It's like STFU and go do something else with your time. Part of the reason I don't like Twitch with all those comments scrolling on the side.

I'm sure there are a lot of great and amazing Marvel fans. Just don't like that part of their community.

DEATH™

I like Marvel and it's fun and all, but it is one of the most broken, combo-heavy, unbalanced fighters I have seen and played. Strange this is, some of the people who gave up on TTT2, play UMVC3 on a regular basis and love it. Yeah, the snobby, Marvel is the best attitude is VERY annoying.

The one thing I don't get though is Marvel fanboys complained about Tekken being a juggle-heavy game while they do INFINITES in Marvel... Like really?

MightyKAC

Quick techinal question for my Tekken gaffers out there.

I'm thinking about putting my PS3 onto an HD projector soon and I wondering if input lag is going to be an issue. On fast frame mode my projector has about 33ms of input lag. I know that some folks don't typically like to go past the 20's and then there is that extra frame of lag that in all versions of the game so I'm not sure if that 33ms really matters or not because when I play on it I really can't tell much of a difference. But my worry is that it might throw off other peoples game if they try to play on it.

Any thoughts?

DEATH™

Hey guys, I'm gonna start the "Bring Sayah to Big Two" movement. We're gonna have fundraisers, purple and red ribbons, testimonies and a parade aimed for Sayah awareness. All the proceeds will go to bringing Sayah to Big Two and research to finally beat Sayah.

Spread the word...

Sayah, thank you!!!!! I had no idea I could execute the qcf +2,1 in Anna's stance lol. I don't remember that in command list for some reason.

Skilletor

DEATH™;43582038 said:
The one thing I don't get though is Marvel fanboys complained about Tekken being a juggle-heavy game while they do INFINITES in Marvel... Like really?

Do you have quotes from people you know are marvel players complaining about juggles in tekken?

I doubt they're the same people.

DEATH™

Do you have quotes from people you know are marvel players complaining about juggles in tekken?

I doubt they're the same people.

There are alot of trolls who think this way... You can look up on early TTT2 articles in eventhubs for example...

Sadly some people take those things trolls say like some truth. I'm trying to invite people around me to play and they think it's really a juggle fest. Even some people back home in the philippines whose active in forums.

I've never heard a marvel player at my local gatherings complain about Tekken juggles. Never seen a marvel player on neogaf do it either (maybe I missed a comment).

I think there is probably an element of the learning curve or something in relation to Tekken sales or popularity here. But I think most of it is just preference and personal tastes.

What I hear most is that they just don't dig it. My buddy who I play SF4 with, he likes 2D fighting games and RTS's. I try to get him to play tekken. He's just not into the designs and engine feel. I don't think he thinks it's too hard. He just doesn't like it.

I think we get into this cycle of blaming the community when a game doesn't do well or catch on whatever. I've discussed this in the main fighting game thread, but it's nobody's fault.

Maybe people just don't like tekken as much as we think. If anything, it's Namco's fault? I don't think its the players fault.

Like I want more people to play SC5. Nobody wants to. Well, I guess people don't want to play and it's not fun to them. I think deep down, people just want to play what is fun. It's a game after all. Maybe people don't find Tekken fun. I find tekken fun, but I am not everybody.

I am sure there are a bunch of people who don't want to play because of the learning curve. I bet there is a bunch as well that don't want to play based on graphics, engine feel, or don't like it's mechanics, not because it is not to hard, but they don't like them. Or some just don't dig it.

disclaimer, I don't read srteam chats. And pay no attention to EH or SRK comments really.

Skilletor

I've never heard a marvel player at my local gatherings complain about Tekken juggles. Never seen a marvel player on neogaf do it either (maybe I missed a comment).

I think there is probably an element of the learning curve or something in relation to Tekken sales or popularity here. But I think most of it is just preference and personal tastes.

What I hear most is that they just don't dig it. My buddy who I play SF4 with, he likes 2D fighting games and RTS's. I try to get him to play tekken. He's just not into the designs and engine feel. I don't think he thinks it's too hard. He just doesn't like it.

I think we get into this cycle of blaming the community when a game doesn't do well or catch on whatever. I've discussed this in the main fighting game thread, but it's nobody's fault.

Maybe people just don't like tekken as much as we think. If anything, it's Namco's fault? I don't think its the players fault.

Like I want more people to play SC5. Nobody wants to. Well, I guess people don't want to play and it's not fun to them. I think deep down, people just want to play what is fun. It's a game after all. Maybe people don't find Tekken fun. I find tekken fun, but I am not everybody.

I am sure there are a bunch of people who don't want to play because of the learning curve. I bet there is a bunch as well that don't want to play based on graphics, engine feel, or don't like it's mechanics, not because it is not to hard, but they don't like them. Or some just don't dig it.

disclaimer, I don't read srteam chats. And pay no attention to EH or SRK comments really.

This, pretty much.

Hey, you play SC5? Which console? Add me! We could get some games

Overall there's not much cross pollination between 2D and 3D players.

Nobody should listen to trolls. Ever.

But, I mean, Tekken at low levels is a juggle fest. Especially if one person is better than the other. I personally don't appreciate how long many of the juggles are getting in TTT2. You have the juggle, the tag assault, the wall carry, the splat, the wall stuff. It can be excessive.

I think the same thing of Marvel and ASW games, though. I have the same issue with custom combos. Some games are taking control away from the player for far too long.

Not fun.

Cheddahz

Banned
I finally got this game, after cancelling my pre-order for it for Borderlands 2 (which got boring after a while) and trading that in to get TTT2 for free (got 40 bucks for BL2 and with a RZ coupon, TTT2 was only 40 bucks). I'm on the 360, so I'll be willing to play with any other 360 users

SkylineRKR

In my area people loved Tekken when 3 was at its prime but the interest faded after that. Tekken 4 was deemed unimpressive and since 5 the mainstream attention started to become less. Tekken 6 was in high demand at some point i think, but the arcade version was being hated on and the console release took very long to the point that peeps stopped caring. The port was sloppy, which didn't help either.

But not only TTT2 is bombing, I feel pretty much every fighter is nowadays. Its perhaps a sign that either things need to change or that those things should be released at a lower RRP (as T6 began selling when its price was being slashed).

DEATH™

BTW guys, do anyone here know what's the command for the kip-up to cross dive when you're lying on the ground? I've seen the CPU done it countless times and it might be safer than a backroll cross dive or regular kip up...

Its perhaps a sign that either things need to change or that those things should be released at a lower RRP (as T6 began selling when its price was being slashed).
VF5FS confirmed this when it did 300k total downloads in the first two weeks despite being the least popular game of the 3D fighters worldwide. When you have companies making games for 100M and charging $60 a piece, most people don't see the value in paying that much for a game where you just fight your friends and dumb AI. Sell the game @ 30 bucks a pop (especially those that have already made their money in the arcades) with online, arcade, and practice. Lock the customization and other modes away and charge extra money for them (which combined should not exceed the additional $30). The more people you can get hooked on your gameplay system, the better.

This, pretty much.

Hey, you play SC5? Which console? Add me! We could get some games

Overall there's not much cross pollination between 2D and 3D players.

Nobody should listen to trolls. Ever.

But, I mean, Tekken at low levels is a juggle fest. Especially if one person is better than the other. I personally don't appreciate how long many of the juggles are getting in TTT2. You have the juggle, the tag assault, the wall carry, the splat, the wall stuff. It can be excessive.

I think the same thing of Marvel and ASW games, though. I have the same issue with custom combos. Some games are taking control away from the player for far too long.

Not fun.

I'm on 360 ("CoolGuy4Life"). I play super late though when I play, like 12-2 in the morning, lol. My friends list is barren when I get on most times. Dat family life, hehe.

I find the juggles can be excessive sometimes as well. I know it's a means to damage. I personally like for shorter juggles that do the same damage. People have told me I should play VF5 then, haha. But I don't like how VF feels. Tekken movement, physics and all that appeal to me more. It's not a huge deal to me though, just a little pet peeve, I don't like long combos.

SkylineRKR:

I have seen the same things in my years of playing. Everybody I knew played 2 and 3. It kinda started trailing off with 4 and 5.

I think overall, all fighting games are not going sell that well nowadays, and not like SF4 for sure, for a long time. That was it's own thing, fueled by nostalgia.

I think they should start lowering the initial MSRP at launch as well. Maybe they will sell better, and got more people in the door, since these games are fueled by competition.

Or maybe that is their plan, get the hardcores for the 60. Then price drop quick. Tekken 6 sold alot as mentioned after it price bomba'd.

idk, it's concerning. I wish it sold more. I wish SC5 sold more. Hopefully DOA5 is doing alright.

DEATH:

I don't think everybody can do that? I know Paul can.

Sayah

DEATH™;43583006 said:
Hey guys, I'm gonna start the "Bring Sayah to Big Two" movement. We're gonna have fundraisers, purple and red ribbons, testimonies and a parade aimed for Sayah awareness. All the proceeds will go to bringing Sayah to Big Two and research to finally beat Sayah.

Spread the word...

I'll hopefully try to go soon. :p

Also wish there was a way to change my username. It means "shadow" in my language. So generic. hahahaha.

I finally got this game, after cancelling my pre-order for it for Borderlands 2 (which got boring after a while) and trading that in to get TTT2 for free (got 40 bucks for BL2 and with a RZ coupon, TTT2 was only 40 bucks). I'm on the 360, so I'll be willing to play with any other 360 users

Add your name to the 360 group and find competition there. :)

In my area people loved Tekken when 3 was at its prime but the interest faded after that. Tekken 4 was deemed unimpressive and since 5 the mainstream attention started to become less. Tekken 6 was in high demand at some point i think, but the arcade version was being hated on and the console release took very long to the point that peeps stopped caring. The port was sloppy, which didn't help either.

But not only TTT2 is bombing, I feel pretty much every fighter is nowadays. Its perhaps a sign that either things need to change or that those things should be released at a lower RRP (as T6 began selling when its price was being slashed).

I kind of have to disagree with this. Tekken 5 and especially DR on the PSP helped increase mainstream interest even further. Tekken 3 had helped bring in a lot of fresh new blood (myself included) but it also turned away some players as well.

But overall, I don't think the problem is popularity for Tekken (it is the best selling fighting franchise). It probably has more so to do with the fact that there were a lot of other games releasing around the same time in September and also the fact that there has been an abundance/overload of fighters this year. I know some people that I expected would get TTT2 but bought other games over it just b/c they already had gotten SFXTK/SCV/Persona/other fighters before and wanted to try different genres.

Sayah

There was a lot of Feng stuff there that you could have been punishing. I think Feng's f+4,3 or f+3,4 (not sure which input that launcher is) is launch punishable on block with d/f+2.

Sayah, thank you!!!!! I had no idea I could execute the qcf +2,1 in Anna's stance lol. I don't remember that in command list for some reason.

No Problem. :)

Edit: You probably already know this but just in case - If you are trying to do the qcf attacks in juggles, then it's probably best to do it after you do d/f+3,2 and then do her forward dash right after that with d/f and then press either 1 or 2,1. In this case, again (same as in her stance) you don't actually input qcf to bring out the qcf attacks. It's just d/f.

Degen

Ogre's Waning Moon is so good. I don't get how 80+ damage off an easy throw is even fair when long range is the best thing about him

not complaining though

No grudge match tonight. Too tired. Sometime next week.
I'm sure gian thanks you

Degen

oh however shall I beat Team Everyone Online :p

...incidentally I'm gonna need both AAK and ihavecandy to post everything they know about the jaguars

oh however shall I beat Team Everyone Online :p

...incidentally I'm gonna need both AAK and ihavecandy to post everything they know about the jaguars

War has changed friend, I have a new team which hasn't been seen yet. ;) and Kadey just PM me whenever you set a day incase I don't see it in here. I always forget this thread is in community.

Tekken 6 was in high demand at some point i think, but the arcade version was being hated on and the console release took very long to the point that peeps stopped caring. The port was sloppy, which didn't help either.

What was wrong with the Tekken 6 on PS3? And was it fixed with a patch? I'm kind of interested in it.

Can anyone offer some help?

I'd like to choose a main but I have no idea how to go about it. Assume I have no foreknowledge of the roster.

Dereck

So basically pick who looks the coolest to me?
If that what helps you. If you're just starting out, just go to practice mode and do, "This guy looks cool, let's try him", until you find someone.

If you're asking, "which characters are easy to learn", start with Paul.

Sayah

I'd like to choose a main but I have no idea how to go about it. Assume I have no foreknowledge of the roster.

Choose whichever playstyle fits you best. If you want character suggestions, then probably go with Lili, Feng, Alisa, Paul and the like.

What was wrong with the Tekken 6 on PS3? And was it fixed with a patch? I'm kind of interested in it.

The online. That's about it. The scenario campaign doesn't really matter.

Otherwise, it's one of the best games this gen. imo.

Well what type of fighting style do you normally tend to like in fighting games?

Are you a guy that's heavy into poking and spacing? Straight Rush-down offensive on the opponent or do you like to turtle and punish stupid mistakes?

Here's a thread that might interest you.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=125509

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
They are actually making people pay for tekken tag 1 movies? I would consider that a slap in the face if I cared enough not to just YouTube them.

Sayah

They are actually making people pay for tekken tag 1 movies? I would consider that a slap in the face if I cared enough not to just YouTube them.

They are not "making" anyone do anything. The music and movies DLC is all old content from previous games, is optional to buy and is not an essential or required component of the game whatsoever. If you want to watch the stuff on youtube, then that's up to you. But even if all the ending videos were not already on youtube, I don't think it would matter. This is years old content being rereleased and sold for fans. it's not pre-developed content for a retail game being sold post-release as DLC.

How many other games like to package all the CG from their previous iterations as free content?

There was a lot of Feng stuff there that you could have been punishing. I think Feng's f+4,3 or f+3,4 (not sure which input that launcher is) is launch punishable on block with d/f+2.

No Problem. :)

Edit: You probably already know this but just in case - If you are trying to do the qcf attacks in juggles, then it's probably best to do it after you do d/f+3,2 and then do her forward dash right after that with d/f and then press either 1 or 2,1. In this case, again (same as in her stance) you don't actually input qcf to bring out the qcf attacks. It's just d/f.

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

Oh, Tekken 6 was great. I loved it. It doesn't have as many characters as TTT2(still a lot though) and the graphics are not as good, but it has better customization if you care about that type of stuff lol and is easier to learn for casuals imo. Definitely get it. Tekken 6 and TTT2 are both amazing fighters. The online definitely has issues, but it was still playable in most cases, especially after the patch. I heard a multitude of "arcade pros" state that the port at home did not look as good as it's arcade counterpart. Something about the 720p resolution making a noticeable difference at the arcade? Not sure, never seen it to directly compare.

Dereck

I'm jacking that first Miguel combo you did. I almost never do df+1 into savage stance during a combo as I'll drop it most of the time since my dpad is so messed up. I gotta find a way around that though cause I need dat 80 damage.
Try df+1 into savage, then uf+3, does more damage, harder to pull off though.

CSX

Try df+1 into savage, then uf+3, does more damage, harder to pull off though.

pshh boutdown stealing my miguel juggle

anyways, the problem about using uf3 is that you gotta do it fast and you cant be off axis. Otherwise, the df41 after it is gonna whiff

Top Bottom