• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Shiiiit... I would quit if I had a record like that. Or at least try new characters. I admire his commitment though.

Looking at that scares me. I played online (non-ranked) and got 0-2. I quickly hopped offline and went straight into practice.. lol
*forever scared*

Medalion

Banned
I almost bought this on launch but I had too many games already at the time and something had to be left out

Perhaps next paycheck this Friday.

Dereck

Looking at that scares me. I played online (non-ranked) and got 0-2. I quickly hopped offline and went straight into practice.. lol
*forever scared*
I got pretty scared myself, and angry. Ghost Battle actually makes you worse, because you get caught up in habits. Instead of actually doing appropriate moves I end up doing those BS setups that only work on the CPU.

I got pretty scared myself, and angry. Ghost Battle actually makes you worse, because you get caught up in habits. Instead of actually doing appropriate moves I end up doing those BS setups that only work on the CPU.

Yup. I start to let to CPU attack so I can b+2+4. Doesn't always work, so going against an actual player will own me.

Dereck

Disciples and Mentors online are really good. I think I've only beaten one or two out of twenty or so. At that point I felt that I should be demoted. I'm OK, my main problem is that there are too many holes in my gameplay, and I play impulsively, no strategy or anything. Doing cool moves is not a strategy. Trust me, I've seen too many of my replays.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Disciples and Mentors online are really good. I think I've only beaten one or two out of twenty or so. At that point I felt that I should be demoted. I'm OK, my main problem is that there are too many holes in my gameplay, and I play impulsively, no strategy or anything. Doing cool moves is not a strategy. Trust me, I've seen too many of my replays.

If you have the game on PS3 i'll play with you my Psn- MikeCisThaILLest add me I am decent but far from the people online. So far I've only played player matches online & I win some & lose some. I just recently figured out the all of the tag assaults & how they work. Before I didn't rely on them much at all, big mistake.
I still only use them when necessary since your partner loses health recovery in a lot of cases.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Quick question on ps3 how do you do that jumping get up drop kick where you fly at opponent from a prone position when knocked down? Also that pounce dive with both fists I thought it was -> -> -> square and triangle for the pounce. You can also do that while downed right.

What are all of the generic moves like those that every character is supposed to have?
It's odd that every character has a low Parry but not a high/mid parry. Only some characters have mid/high parry. That's bizarre to me.

Dueck

Banned
Bought TTT2 at launch on PS3, sold it towards the cost of the Wii U version and a Pro Controller. I just wish they'd sold the bundle with the artbook here...

Sayah

If you have the game on PS3 i'll play with you my Psn- MikeCisThaILLest add me I am decent but far from the people online. So far I've only played player matches online & I win some & lose some. I just recently figured out the all of the tag assaults & how they work. Before I didn't rely on them much at all, big mistake.
I still only use them when necessary since your partner loses health recovery in a lot of cases.

Keep playing. You will keep discovering new things as you go.

Quick question on ps3 how do you do that jumping get up drop kick where you fly at opponent from a prone position when knocked down? Also that pounce dive with both fists I thought it was -> -> -> square and triangle for the pounce. You can also do that while downed right.

What are all of the generic moves like those that every character is supposed to have?
It's odd that every character has a low Parry but not a high/mid parry. Only some characters have mid/high parry. That's bizarre to me.

Watch this video.

Spring kick is b+3+4 (back+X+circle) while on ground.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So apparently for the Wii u version, you gotta unlock the Swimsuits (I guess via Lucky box? Or possibly through Tekken Supporters). I'm going to put up a video in the next few days outlining the differences and new features.

Sayah

So apparently for the Wii u version, you gotta unlock the Swimsuits (I guess via Lucky box? Or possibly through Tekken Supporters). I'm going to put up a video in the next few days outlining the differences and new features.

Yes, please. That would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure it would help a lot of people. Especially if you can figure out how to use tekken tunes on Wii U.

DEATH™

THIS so much...

I never thought I'll be so rusty playing CPU that much... Which makes it more frustrating when you know you can do better than what you're doing...

Oh, man. Online on Wii U really is a ghost town. I waited about 5 minutes in the training room for a match. The Miiverse community has almost 2,000 now, though. That's not bad compared to other 3rd party games. Darksiders II has about 1,500 and NG3 has around 3,500, for example.

mr_boo

Nice fight there Sayah. I recently picked up Nina and I find that it takes a bit of work for her to knock someone out. I always find myself poking and prodding them to death. But if you can get a launcher to connect, then it's great damage especially if you have netsu. My biggest overuse sin with her is d+3, 1 and I'm not good enough to hit confirm the d+3 on counter.

Any tips you can provide w Nina would be great...I would say that my biggest weakness with her is my approach from long distance. Nina doesn't seem to have a quick long range move that closes in and has solid priority (maybe qcf+2?).

Sayah

Wow, great match. Some real pros going at it. I know which team I was cheering for. :p
Nice fight there Sayah. I recently picked up Nina and I find that it takes a bit of work for her to knock someone out. I always find myself poking and prodding them to death. But if you can get a launcher to connect, then it's great damage especially if you have netsu. My biggest overuse sin with her is d+3, 1 and I'm not good enough to hit confirm the d+3 on counter.

Any tips you can provide w Nina would be great...I would say that my biggest weakness with her is my approach from long distance. Nina doesn't seem to have a quick long range move that closes in and has solid priority (maybe qcf+2?).
Thanks. :)
Nina has a backdash. Use that often. Wait for the opponent to come to you and punish them. qcf+2 used to be great in T6 since it took juggle damage on hit. It got nerfed in TTT2, unfortunately. It takes extra damage but no more juggling from the move. It is, however, still a great move to use when opponent is on ground (since it hits them on ground) and a great combo-ender.

I often (as do a lot of other Nina players) use u/f+4,3,4. It comes real quick and you can cancel it into other moves. Of course, you always still have to be careful with using it since it can be parried.

When you're close to the opponent. b+2,2,2 is always good for punishing. It's another move that can be sidestep cancelled as well. However, the third hit in this move is only good to use on counter hit or otherwise it can be easily punished by ducking and using a WS launcher. And this move is especially great against walls especially when you sidestep cancel it into 1, f, 1 (flapping butterfly), 1+2.

Here is a simple juggle:

Launcher: Use either d/f+2, Ivory cutter (b+1+4) - punishable, d/b+3+4 - punishable

Combo filler: d/f+1, d/f+3,2

Bound move: f+4,3,3

End combo: d+2,3

Of course, if you can do flapping butterfly, that's a lot better.

Oh, man. Online on Wii U really is a ghost town. I waited about 5 minutes in the training room for a match. The Miiverse community has almost 2,000 now, though. That's not bad compared to other 3rd party games. Darksiders II has about 1,500 and NG3 has around 3,500, for example.

That's unfortunate to hear.

Sayah

So everyone here are pretty much long time Tekken vets?

Would you recommend the Wii U version to a newbie?

Yes.

You can start off not knowing anything and still become a top notch player if you put dedication and time towards the game. You will be overwhelmed at first with how much there is but the game is well worth the time and the rewards of learning and adapting are very satisfying.

You can play online but it's even better when you have strong local competition.

AAK

So everyone here are pretty much long time Tekken vets?

Would you recommend the Wii U version to a newbie?

Any version is perfectly fine to pick up. The WiiU version has the Tekken Ball, and Mushroom Battle party modes along with the Nintendo costumes. Aside from that the content is identical. There are various guides in the OP outlining how to play. And there is also Fight Lab (but it is really lacking a lot of basic things IMO).

mr_boo

Thanks. :)
Nina has a backdash. Use that often. Wait for the opponent to come to you and punish them. qcf+2 used to be great in T6 since it took juggle damage on hit. It got nerfed in TTT2, unfortunately. It takes extra damage but no more juggling from the move. It is, however, still a great move to use when opponent is on ground (since it hits them on ground) and a great combo-ender.
Yeah, backdash is great ... it's a move I like to start rounds with, though at this point I'm still fuzzy on what to do since there are so many options (and shortcuts) from backdash. Thanks for the info regarding qcf+2 ... I don't use straight up qcf motions often since I find the motion much more stricter than Street Fighter/KOF (I use a pad). In fact, I use the srk motion instead, it produces consistent qcf moves for me.

I often (as do a lot of other Nina players) use u/f+4,3,4. It comes real quick and you can cancel it into other moves. Of course, you always still have to be careful with using it since it can be parried.
u/f+4, 3, 4 is something I use often too. I seem to always get good results, but I reckon most people I play online aren't used to it. If I had to guess, it doesn't jail or the last 4 can be ducked.

When you're close to the opponent. b+2,2,2 is always good for punishing. It's another move that can be sidestep cancelled as well. However, the third hit in this move is only good to use on counter hit or otherwise it can be easily punished by ducking and using a WS launcher. And this move is especially great against walls especially when you sidestep cancel it into 1, f, 1 (flapping butterfly), 1+2.
Thanks, will try to integrate.

Here is a simple juggle:

Launcher: Use either d/f+2, Ivory cutter (b+1+4) - punishable, d/b+3+4 - punishable

Combo filler: d/f+1, d/f+3,2

Bound move: f+4,3,3

End combo: d+2,3

Of course, if you can do flapping butterfly, that's a lot better.
My goto Bounds are 1+4 and f+2,1,1+2 ... will try to look into f+4,3,3. My Ender is indeed d+2,3 ... not good enough for wr+2, ff+3. Thanks for the tips.

Do folks still make a GAF Lobby?

Sayah

Yeah, backdash is great ... it's a move I like to start rounds with, though at this point I'm still fuzzy on what to do since there are so many options (and shortcuts) from backdash. Thanks for the info regarding qcf+2 ... I don't use straight up qcf motions often since I find the motion much more stricter than Street Fighter/KOF (I use a pad). In fact, I use the srk motion instead, it produces consistent qcf moves for me.
Backdash+4 (qcb+4) is always nice to use. I don't think it can be punished either. Maybe it can be with two jabs but I don't think your opponent can launch punish it.

u/f+4, 3, 4 is something I use often too. I seem to always get good results, but I reckon most people I play online aren't used to it. If I had to guess, it doesn't jail or the last 4 can be ducked.

Yeah, some people online are used to it. But if you get the second hit in and it doesn't get parried/blocked, the third hit is confirmed to hit as well. But even if you are afraid of the third hit getting ducked and punished, you can always sidestep cancel.

My goto Bounds are 1+4 and f+2,1,1+2 ... will try to look into f+4,3,3. My Ender is indeed d+2,3 ... not good enough for wr+2, ff+3. Thanks for the tips.

1+4 is her main bound used in like every situation, haha. u/f+2, 1 is good to use after her qcf+1 launcher.

Also, one other thing. Whenever you're close to an opponent and they are doing heavy jab pressure (often the case with Miguel and Steve), use b+1. It works so well so often against heavy jabbers, it's amazing. And it can lead to juggle damage which is even better.

b+1, d+4,1, f+2,1,1+2, d+2,3

Do folks still make a GAF Lobby?

Yep. Still people play online with people from here when I can.

Grifter

Grabbed this and working out my team now, add me if you want to play on Xbox - totoro recall. I'll check the player doc when it's not being blocked from on my network. Not a vet but am studying up.

OP doesn't have a link to the Xbox WTF group, is there one?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So, after recording one long winded 24 minute version, I decided to try again and make a shorter, concise version of the differences. 17 minutes of me just blabbering about differences, fun stuff.

Wii U Differences/Exclusives

Pretty sure I forgot to talk about tekken tunes, will have to add an annotation for that.

Sayah

So, after recording one long winded 24 minute version, I decided to try again and make a shorter, concise version of the differences. 17 minutes of me just blabbering about differences, fun stuff.

Wii U Differences/Exclusives

Pretty sure I forgot to talk about tekken tunes, will have to add an annotation for that.

That was funny commentary. Thanks for the video. Didn't know they changed player matches to "friendly matches" and setup a different method for playing with friends online. Not sure why. Everything else seems really great. I hope we'll get the paint feature and Tekken ball for the other versions.

What is there to this game other than the usual fighting arcade mode? Is there any sort of fun little side mini-games? A beat 'em up styled mode like Tekken 6? I just like a lot of variety now in my fighting games to distract me if I want a break from the typical fighting mode.

Just wondering because I figured a fighting game would be nice to add to my Wii U collection, but I want to know if there's more to it before I commit my $60 towards the game.

Sayah

What is there to this game other than the usual fighting arcade mode? Is there any sort of fun little side mini-games? A beat 'em up styled mode like Tekken 6? I just like a lot of variety now in my fighting games to distract me if I want a break from the typical fighting mode.

Just wondering because I figured a fighting game would be nice to add to my Wii U collection, but I want to know if there's more to it before I commit my $60 towards the game.

Yeah, there are fun little side mini-games. Mushroom Battle mode and Tekken Ball. And there's also Fight Lab if you are looking for some sort of story.

And there's a lot you can do with customizing especially since you can paint on the characters on the Wii U version.

Grifter

Can you make the practice dummy block unnatural combo strings after the first hit? Combo counter is taking stuff that shouldn't work.

Hellix

I don't know what it is with these charged attacks, but I keep falling for them. It's like, oh, what the heck is this weird animation? Oh, he is using his charged attack that does huge damage amount of damage and takes 10 seconds to do. I should probably hit a button to stop him or get the fuck out of the way. Oh shiii- too late.

Edit: Got to Mentor oddly fast on my first promotion chance. Kept losing my promotion chance about 4 times on 3rd dan.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
That was funny commentary. Thanks for the video. Didn't know they changed player matches to "friendly matches" and setup a different method for playing with friends online. Not sure why. Everything else seems really great. I hope we'll get the paint feature and Tekken ball for the other versions.

No problem, though after outlining the differences, I have an itch to play the 360 version to get some unique matches going. I Vsed the guy who has the most wins (on the Wii version) back to back like 4 times, managed to squeeze a win out of him. It seems his Lili is beating most people to the ground.

Hellix

I ran into some person with a pink name and in-game he had a "P1" mark hovering over his head. What the heck was that about?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I ran into some person with a pink name and in-game he had a "P1" mark hovering over his head. What the heck was that about?

Most likely you were vsing two people on a tag team (locally).

Also I feel bad, I keep on beating people with the arcade stick, when they're probably using the gamepad. Oh well, TIME TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE LEADERBOARDS

How big is the crowd on Wii U so far?
Slim pickings in ranked matches but there are brave souls out there. Takes me about 5 minutes for a match and after I get paired up with someone we seem to play back to back.

Hellix

Most likely you were vsing two people on a tag team (locally).

Was it a glitch? It was an online ranked game.

Anyway, I guess I ran into someone from Team Spooky... I don't know any members there. I friggen lost... I whiffed on a juggle that would've taken it to a final round.

JLB4r.jpg

Yes.

You can start off not knowing anything and still become a top notch player if you put dedication and time towards the game. You will be overwhelmed at first with how much there is but the game is well worth the time and the rewards of learning and adapting are very satisfying.

You can play online but it's even better when you have strong local competition.

Speaking for myself, yes long time vet, however I don't play like one.

Also, it depends on the controller.

Any version is perfectly fine to pick up. The WiiU version has the Tekken Ball, and Mushroom Battle party modes along with the Nintendo costumes. Aside from that the content is identical. There are various guides in the OP outlining how to play. And there is also Fight Lab (but it is really lacking a lot of basic things IMO).

Okay thank you guys I'll be sure to download from the eShop soon as I have some time to invest in learning. Looking for a fight stick too. :)

DEATH™

*reads the thread title*

Let's enjoy this last day of us in the gaming discussion forum

Was it a glitch? It was an online ranked game.

Anyway, I guess I ran into someone from Team Spooky... I don't know any members there. I friggen lost... I whiffed on a juggle that would've taken it to a final round.

Arturo is pretty good... put your chin up bro...

Sayah

Grabbed this and working out my team now, add me if you want to play on Xbox - totoro recall. I'll check the player doc when it's not being blocked from on my network. Not a vet but am studying up.

OP doesn't have a link to the Xbox WTF group, is there one?
I missed this before.
There should be a Xbox WTF group too. I think Kajima or another member here had made it.

This might be it?

Just out of interest, why is this moving back to Community on the day the game releases on Wii U in PAL territories? Can we not have another week at least?

Sayah

Just out of interest, why is this moving back to Community on the day the game releases on Wii U in PAL territories? Can we not have another week at least?

Not sure. This website doesn't make sense sometimes. It makes practical sense to keep this in gaming for the reason you mentioned but it's getting moved. But then you have RE6 and DoA5 OT's that can stay in the gaming section for two or more months.

Oh well, not like it matters that much anyway.

Top Bottom