• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Onemic

Lobby is up if anyone wants to join.

Good characters to start with: Lili/Sebastian, Feng, Paul, Alisa. Ultimately, it depends on your playstyle preference. There's a lot that can be linked as far beginner videos/guides/etc. Check the OP.

Invite!

AAK

Looking to get back into this game. Im thinking of doing a Feng/Bruce team or Jin/Feng, would either of those work?

Also since Im still a newbie to Tekken, I just want to practice the basics before touching things like combos and stuff. I've been reading up AAK's guide and was just wondering about backdash canceling and how to do it properly because I have no clue. I know the notation, but when I try it out in practice mode my character either ends up not backdashing at all when I input the d/b and instead walks back, or dashes and goes into the foreground/background.(I play on stick btw)

I sort of understand what you mean. However, simply memorizing the notation and executing it isn't IMO the best way of learning how to backdash cancel. Here let me think of another way:

Step 1: Hold B
Notice what the walking animation for moving back is

Step 2: Simply do b,b again and again
Forget about cancelling or anything like that. Just familiarize yourself with what a backdash looks like. And i'm sure you'll notice it doesn't move back a whole deal of magnitude. But you should easily be able to discern the difference between holding back and doing repeated backdahses. You'll also notice that period of imobility between succesive backdashes. Concentrate on that little period.

Step 3: Now try to practice pressing the d/b in those periods of downtime. and then quickly go into another backdash. The key here is that you still have to visually confirm that you displaced backwards a certain distance. Hence that's why if you just mash the b,b,d/b,b,b,d/b notations you'll most likely just twitch in one place insanely.

Therefore it's best if you just practice doing it visually first, then once it the timing lapses into your muscle memory then just dial and execute the motion. Hope that helps :)

Remember, there really isn't much of a guide that is the tried and true method of learning Tekken. And there isn't a starter character since everyone has the same tools. Only thing is that you should avoid characters who's tools are harder to execute. For example, all of Hwoarang's Bound moves require that you go in stance to do them or the fact that you have to do a crouch cancel to get a launcher off a blocked low. So pretty much don't choose Lei, Hwoarang, and those type complex characters. But again, feel free to ask away on anything that confuses you.

Onemic

Damn it! Stupid internet....I was on a roll taking out Sayah for that one round :(

I sort of understand what you mean. However, simply memorizing the notation and executing it isn't IMO the best way of learning how to backdash cancel. Here let me think of another way:

Forget about cancelling or anything like that. Just familiarize yourself with what a backdash looks like. And i'm sure you'll notice it doesn't move back a whole deal of magnitude. But you should easily be able to discern the difference between holding back and doing repeated backdahses. You'll also notice that period of imobility between succesive backdashes. Concentrate on that little period.

Step 3: Now try to practice pressing the d/b in those periods of downtime. and then quickly go into another backdash. The key here is that you still have to visually confirm that you displaced backwards a certain distance. Hence that's why if you just mash the b,b,d/b,b,b,d/b notations you'll most likely just twitch in one place insanely.

Therefore it's best if you just practice doing it visually first, then once it the timing lapses into your muscle memory then just dial and execute the motion. Hope that helps :)

Remember, there really isn't much of a guide that is the tried and true method of learning Tekken. And there isn't a starter character since everyone has the same tools. Only thing is that you should avoid characters who's tools are harder to execute. For example, all of Hwoarang's Bound moves require that you go in stance to do them or the fact that you have to do a crouch cancel to get a launcher off a blocked low. So pretty much don't choose Lei, Hwoarang, and those type complex characters. But again, feel free to ask away on anything that confuses you.

Thanks for the info. I was definitely doing it way too fast then as I was just trying to input it as fast as humanly possible.

And I guess that means Yoshimitsu is off limits as well? :(

AAK

Damn @ onemic's playstyle. Feng is a really really good choice for you. It really really complements your solid wall of defense playstyle. Once you begin to understand his frame traps you can definitely make waves with him.

And I guess that means Yoshimitsu is off limits as well? :(

Lol, that's one of the most heavy gimmick characters in the game, but yeah I wouldn't recommend starting out the game with hiim. :)

Onemic

Sayah pls :'(

Damn @ onemic's playstyle. Feng is a really really good choice for you. It really really complements your solid wall of defense playstyle. Once you begin to understand his frame traps you can definitely make waves with him.

Lol, that's one of the most heavy gimmick characters in the game, but yeah I wouldn't recommend starting out the game with hiim. :)

All I can do is try to space myself at this point lol. I literally no none of Fengs moves so I'm just pressing random buttons really cautiously hoping they connect haha. Sayahs destruction made me nervous and I pressed buttons when I knew I shouldn't have :(

and AAK, I know you said there isn't a general "guide" to learning Tekken, but after I get back dash canceling down what would you recommend to be the next step? Also how do you know when a low is coming, because I know crouch blocking will just get you blown the fuck up in this game. Sayah blew me out of the water with those lows.

AAK

He was SUPER taking advantage of you :lol

It's kinda hard to get dash cancelling "down" it's something you develop over playing again and again. You should work on on multiple things simultaneously (But maybe I'm reading too much into your comment). The next important thing IMO is how to get up off of the ground. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to stay grounded and then get up when you have a small window of safely getting back to neutral position. I touched a little bit into it in the guide, and I know Aris went over it briefly in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYP9DRTBw38

I'll try to find the one with Rip's tutorial

You can still get away with beating people with simple pokes and punishers not involving launching your opponent, but still learn some BNB combo's with your characters. Preferably tag bufferable ones. Feng Way has one of the best: f+3,4~5 and Jin has his WS+2~5 and f,n,d,d/f+1~5.

Onemic

Now Im not too sure....

In the lobby the ping only seems to be wonky with you AAK...But then again my internet is a POS so you can never count me out lol

Grifter

Sayah pls :'(

All I can do is try to space myself at this point lol. I literally no none of Fengs moves so I'm just pressing random buttons really cautiously hoping they connect haha. Sayahs destruction made me nervous and I pressed buttons when I knew I shouldn't have :(

and AAK, I know you said there isn't a general "guide" to learning Tekken, but after I get back dash canceling down what would you recommend to be the next step? Also how do you know when a low is coming, because I know crouch blocking will just get you blown the fuck up in this game. Sayah blew me out of the water with those lows.

I main Feng and Slayer too! You must enjoy using a character's whole moveset like me. Anyone else common? I got Aigis, Noel, Valkenhayn, Akuma, Akira...

Onemic

I main Feng and Slayer too! You must enjoy using a character's whole moveset like me. Anyone else common? I got Aigis, Noel, Valkenhayn, Akuma, Akira...

I main Akuma in AE. I'm a Bang guy in BB though. Valkenhayn has always looked really interesting to me, but since I got Extend when the game was already dead I haven't even learned Bang to the point that Im decent with him.

And of course I am the Mitsu troll in P4A

Onemic

Nevermind, I'm the opposite of a Mits.

I tried learning Aigis, but she was too high execution for me. I love Akihiko though and if P4A online wasn't dead I'd probably level him up to the point that he would take over as my main from mitsu. Right now he's just my side character. I tend to like characters with big movesets but often times their execution requirements are too high for me to stick with them(when I say often times I mean Dante in UMvC3)

Grifter

Akihiko is my alt too, but you may not like his combos if Dante gives you trouble, with the mini dashed and delay links, tho Dante has more delays to time or jump for if you're doing the better ones.

Onemic

Akihiko is my alt too, but you may not like his combos if Dante gives you trouble, with the mini dashed and delay links, tho Dante has more delays to time or jump for if you're doing the better ones.

aki is definitely not on the same level as dante execution wise, i can at least land a few of his combos very consistently. for dante i can only land one of his combos and only at a ten percent rate roughly. this is with me being in the lab with dante like triple the amount of time compared to akihiko lol

AAK

Mr. Taxi was the real surprise for me. I love that guy's purely setup playstyle.

That Miharu long Hypnotist walk, 2 into the unblockable d/b+2 was the highlight for me. And he landed that on FAB of all people!

BTW, See Sayah, an online warrior took a major! Let's see you repeat that in your next tournament :p

danmaku

This is interesting. I always thought that when you do a BDC you do like half of the backdash (more or less) and then cancel it with d/b, but the way you explain it, it seems like you do the entire backdash and then just cancel the recovery with d/b. Am I correct? in my experience, the hardest part of learning BDC is not having any kind of visual feedback to tell if I nailed it or not. FRC in Guilty Gear can be hard, but it's easy to see if you did it correctly.

Such a hype Grand Finals at NEC, Jun!

Yep, great tournament and grand finals was amazing. You could feel both player's tension during the last rounds, when even the simplest things feel insanely hard to do.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I played this on Wii U today and the first stage I was on had a Christmas theme. Is this some kind of timed release stage?

So I was told that some of the male characters have different swimsuits in the Wii U version as opposed to the PS3/360 release. Is this true? Are they unique to each character like the girls' are?

Sayah

Video or it didn't happen.

Good shit!!

In case anyone's curious, I'll link the video anyway. From 25:00.

I was just watching that, really good stuff there. Rip is free to lows ahahahha.

thanks. :)

After watching that, I'm definitely using uf/+4 waaaaaaaaay too much. And I need to diversify my combos some more.

Also, Anna's d/b+1 is so amazing. Leave's the opponent guessing. I can duck and follow up with either crouching d/f+2 or WS+2. Or if the opponent catches up to the strategy and tries to punish my duck, I can just do d/b+1,4. Three different ways for me to confuse opponents and get launchers out from Anna. So amazing.

AAK

Damn... you're still rising ranks! Also that's the exact same expression I get everytime I get hit by that damn u/f+1,4,3+4 string from Anna! LOL

(Got demoted from Avenger all the way to Fighter the last time I played.

DEATH™

thanks. :)

After watching that, I'm definitely using uf/+4 waaaaaaaaay too much. And I need to diversify my combos some more.

Also, Anna's d/b+1 is so amazing. Leave's the opponent guessing. I can duck and follow up with either crouching d/f+2 or WS+2. Or if the opponent catches up to the strategy and tries to punish my duck, I can just do d/b+1,4. Three different ways for me to confuse opponents and get launchers out from Anna. So amazing.

You need to body everyone at Big Two at least...

Seriously...

Sayah

Damn... you're still rising ranks! Also that's the exact same expression I get everytime I get hit by that damn u/f+1,4,3+4 string from Anna! LOL

(Got demoted from Avenger all the way to Fighter the last time I played.

Trying to make my way up to tekken god. Not sure if I'll ever get there, haha. I seriously have to improve a lot of things with how I play. At times, I feel like I'm doing everything right and at other times, I get crazy frustrated, mess up inputs and do stupid things.

And don't let demotions get you down. Ranking matches are pretty much the best way to get better online since everyone is playing seriously and competitively. And I'm so very proud of the community response towards boosters and rage quitters. This is the first time ever in a fighting game (to my knowledge) that cheaters got punished and it's primarily because of the WTF forums. Really love how people uploaded youtube video replays and other proof to weed out the bad players. Really made the online experience leagues better than any other fighter because you're not consistently running into those type of people anymore. Plus, we have that superior netcode, you know.

Edit: Also, this goes for anyone (including myself since I'm prone to it sometimes): Don't let higher rank or win/loss ratio make you think the other person is better than you. If you go in thinking you're gonna lose the match, then you're gonna lose. The other person is not super human and is also prone to mistakes.

Rip: "Why does anyone play this game?"

That had me in tears.

He was taking deep breaths after that, lol.

Sayah, can you write an Anna/Nina beginner's guide? You're too good!

I'll try to write one or create a video guide once I'm more free during the holidays. :)

DEATH™;45059610 said:
You need to body everyone at Big Two at least...

Seriously...

I really would try harder to go if it didn't last till midnight. It pretty much means riding subways and trains past 12 or 1 a.m. and getting home by like 3 a.m. Really seems inconvenient. And it's not like I have the funds to stay at a hotel overnight. The commuting price itself is crazy expensive, haha

But what I can do is try to go to Apex 2013 since that is a whole lot closer.

In any case, I really do want to play a part in helping Tekken grow further aside from just buying each game in the series and playing it. I can maybe set up streams with some effort. Just need a better laptop or desktop.

Top Bottom