• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any good guides for the Changs out there? I do so much better with other characters but am determined to get the masked wrasslin' female tag team (well once I get all of Michelle's alt parts unlocked, anyway) down pat.

AAK

Any good guides for the Changs out there? I do so much better with other characters but am determined to get the masked wrasslin' female tag team (well once I get all of Michelle's alt parts unlocked, anyway) down pat.

Best way once you have a foundation down is to just watch people playing as her and learn and build your style from that. The guide to each character is pretty much the same. Learn their punishers, BNB's off as many situations as possible, and play solid.

BTW: NycFAB is also streaming. He talks about a lot of technical things. If you wanna learn about the game, GO to his stream and ask questions. He's one of the top 3 players in America.

And of coarse Aris is also playing around in practice mode.

Sayah

BTW Sayah, there's another huge/major tournament close to your vicinity. East Coast Throwdown. I think it happens in Long Island, NY. They showed the trailer for it during NEC.

EDIT: Damn, Sayah just had another close match against Rip

EDIT2: And now he won! 3-1 and denied him his promotion! He was in disbelief.

I kept doing reverse ivory cutters in that first match even though I knew they would get punished. Not sure why. lol

BTW, what's the input for guard breaking that Law grab. Really should learn how to guard break all these combo-able grabs from Jack, Law, Lee, Wang, etc.

And thanks, I'll look at that tournament too.

AAK

I kept doing reverse ivory cutters in that first match even though I knew they would get punished. Not sure why. lol

BTW, what's the input for guard breaking that Law grab. Really should learn how to guard break all these combo-able grabs from Jack, Law, Lee, Wang, etc.

And thanks, I'll look at that tournament too.

Law, Bob, Leo, Asuka, Lee, Wang's are 1+2 breaks

Jack, P. Jack is 2

Sayah

Law, Bob, Leo, Asuka, Lee, Wang's are 1+2 breaks

Jack, P. Jack is 2

Thanks. Can't believe so many of them are 1+2's. This whole time I've been alterating between 1, 2, and 1+2 like a fool for pretty much all of these characters.

AAK

Thanks. Can't believe so many of them are 1+2's. This whole time I've been alterating between 1, 2, and 1+2 like a fool for pretty much all of these characters.

Common man, you should have been able to tell from the hand motions :p

Sayah

Common man, you should have been able to tell from the hand motions :p

Yeah, the hand motions for 1+2 grabs is definitely different. I just suck at paying attention to details like that. All it would have taken was a little research on my part for this whole time that I've been playing Tekken, haha. Not sure why I never got around to it.

I probably need to get back in to playing this game. It's been a long time sort of. Been really busy with other things and playing my Black Friday games. I am sort of scared that I am extremely rusty though. I know what I need to do to become more formidable, but getting my fingers to do it on the pad is the major challenge. Still trying to get my Nina and Anna team up to "Sayah" level lol. Not easy, trust me.

Grifter

Are there no drawbacks to tag buffered launchers? Seems like I should be pairing characters that can switch in and out on those into full combos.

AAK

Are there no drawbacks to tag buffered launchers? Seems like I should be pairing characters that can switch in and out on those into full combos.

It's the right way to play. I suppose the only disadvantage is that they're a lot harder to convert into damage when you manage to get them off axis.

Grifter

It's the right way to play. I suppose the only disadvantage is that they're a lot harder to convert into damage when you manage to get them off axis.

Well, is that any different from converting off axis w/o tagging? I'm not finding good ways to tag with Feng/Bob AND get full damage.

AAK

Well, is that any different from converting off axis w/o tagging? I'm not finding good ways to tag with Feng/Bob AND get full damage.

I find it a lot easier to rethink and adjust my filler the moment I notice he wasn't launched upright. With tag bufferable combo's I usually automatically go in with my predetermined combo I memorized in practiced mode. But again, if it's the same to you then yeah, there pretty much is no reason to not go for a tab bufferable launcher. So many people based their teams around getting safe tag bufferable launchers.

For example, Forest doesn't have any safe tag bufferable launchers, but d/f+2 is safe and can't be tag buffered. However, Forest can do d+2,3~5 and tag in Lars who can do his dynamic entry into a jab to continue the combo and you artificially get a tag bufferable launcher with that team synergy.

Grifter

Thanks, not totally getting the example but I'll test it when I get home. It's surely worth knowing as I see those characters all the time.

As for off-axis combos, should I know a set of them for different angles? Does launching standing vs. crouching matter like in VF?

AAK

It also depends with the magnitude how far off axis your opponent was during the launch. Sometimes it can be negligent and you can dyour normal combo's but otherwise, I improvise to be honest. I can usually salvage a multide of jabs or some kind of string but if it's way too off axis I almost always jab them into a bound directly. And thankfully, my Hwoarang/Julia team has some pretty good synergy with TA bounds to salvage as much damage as possible specifically thanks to Hwoarang's great combo potential. He's no Nina but still a beast in that area.

Also, about crouching vs standing, it's very move dependant. Some moves only launch on a standing opponent and not a crouching opponent like a good majority of d/f+2's fromt he cast like Leo/Hwoarang/Paul/and others. But Characters like Nina/Bruce/others still get their launch on d/f+2's regardless if the opponent is crouching or standing.

Grifter

But launch height is unaffected? Crouching tends to launch lower in VF (among many adjustments I'm making between the games, esp. sidestep/tracking properties).

AAK

No, if I recall, the heights should be consistent.

The only difference arises with hitboxes of characters. Some juggles sometimes only work on the bigs like Jack/Marduk/Kings/Bears/Jinpachi/etc. It's not like VF at all where Jeffrey and especially Taka have vastly different combo potential compared to Eileen getting launched. The differences in Tekken are very minimal and only matter in combo videos.

GrayFoxPL

No, if I recall, the heights should be consistent.

The only difference arises with hitboxes of characters. Some juggles sometimes only work on the bigs like Jack/Marduk/Kings/Bears/Jinpachi/etc. It's not like VF at all where Jeffrey and especially Taka have vastly different combo potential compared to Eileen getting launched. The differences in Tekken are very minimal and only matter in combo videos.

Heights aren't 100% consistent.

Jin's ch 4 then b+2,1 lift only worked for tall characters like Miguel in T6. I think this stayed the same in Tag2 though I'm not sure.

DEATH™

Heights aren't 100% consistent.

Jin's ch 4 then b+2,1 lift only worked for tall characters like Miguel in T6. I think this stayed the same in Tag2 though I'm not sure.

IIRC this was a problem with Jin in T6. His juggles are way inconsistent all the time. Most of it is fixed now though...

AAK

The drawback is mostly damage potential, you should in most cases be able to do more damage from a TA.

You can do TA's from Tag bufferable launchers too, and in the case of tag bufferable launchers, you get the advantage of some red life taken away AND the potential TA insane damage.

Sayah

Wow, really nice effort AAK. I think I will do this and try to come up with some ideas to make sure everything works out in the end. Maybe do some sort of planning stage before anything else.

Degen

Marduk is a lot of fun to use but if he whiffs something it's the end of the round

I've been in a couple GAF tourneys, always fun (when people actually show up).
Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournament

start date: 5/31/2011

end date: 11/12/2011

Grifter

Tried to load up my save from a friend's JP 360 and it'd freeze every time, and now is freezing at home. Anyone encounter this? Would be the second time I lost my save after countless time spent in Tunes and Customize. =(

AAK

Tried to load up my save from a friend's JP 360 and it'd freeze every time, and now is freezing at home. Anyone encounter this? Would be the second time I lost my save after countless time spent in Tunes and Customize. =(

I've honestly never done any file saves between systems so I'm an illiterate at whatever issues might have arrived from it. Hopefully someone else might help you.

In other news, Harada just posted this pic on his twitter:

ibpxGBhPzapZi1.jpg

Lili's costume in TxSF?

DEATH™

I've honestly never done any file saves between systems so I'm an illiterate at whatever issues might have arrived from it. Hopefully someone else might help you.

ibpxGBhPzapZi1.jpg

Lili's costume in TxSF?

Morrigan inspired costume??? Yeah... seems TxSF to me

--------

Thank you sir markman... The stick is awesome!

Caj814

DEATH™;45121148 said:
Morrigan inspired costume??? Yeah... seems TxSF to me

--------

Thank you sir markman... The stick is awesome!

Or the first batch of dlc costumes/items outisde preorder stuff

Sayah

Lili's costume in TxSF?

Wow. Really like this costume. I hope we can get a trailer soon.

mr_boo

BTW Sayah, there's another huge/major tournament close to your vicinity. East Coast Throwdown. I think it happens in Long Island, NY. They showed the trailer for it during NEC.

EDIT: Damn, Sayah just had another close match against Rip

EDIT2: And now he won! 3-1 and denied him his promotion! He was in disbelief.
Are there any uploads for Sayah's matches against Rip? Nothing against Rip, but high level Laws get beaten make me a happy guy.

Edit: Fount it a page back ... start at 25:00 min mark.... http://www.twitch.tv/levelupyourgame/b/345153282

I faced Mr. Taxi. It was glorious.
Heh...just curious...How did you do? What were you general impressions of his play?

Sayah

Are there any uploads for Sayah's matches against Rip? Nothing against Rip, but high level Laws get beaten make me a happy guy.

Edit: Fount it a page back ... start at 25:00 min mark.... http://www.twitch.tv/levelupyourgame/b/345153282
You can also watch this from 2:32:00 for two more matches I had against RIP.

Edit: I didn't realize how good the T6 character select theme was until I heard it on RIP's stream, lol.

Heh...just curious...How did you do? What were you general impressions of his play?

I lost but it was a VERY close match. Really had a lot of fun. His Anna is really good.

Sayah

Tekken Tag 2 does not win VGA award for Best Fighting Game.

Well........the VGA's are a joke anyway and the majority of people voting (aka our current gaming journalists) are an even bigger joke. But it's kind of sad considering Harada and Filthie_Rich had been doing a lot of RT's for people on Twitter that voted for the game.

AAK

I was too busy studying for finals to worry about the VGA's. On that topic regardless, it was essentially a popularity contest among only a portion of the mainstream US audience. I feel that 70% of the people that voted for it probably didn't even play any of fighting games released this year, and as for the people that did, didn't even bother voting. Oh well, interesting result. I of course personally feel Tekken deserves it... but then I have to be honest with myself, the easiness in Persona's gameplay definitely worked in its favor to win the category.

Um...Persona 4 won? I am surprised because I thought no one bought it. I haven't played it yet and plan on getting it sooner or later, but I admittedly was a tad shocked TTT2 or DOA5 didn't win that category considering I think they sold better. Yeah, VGA's are basically a popularity contest full of mainstream gamers and games. I don't take it too serious. It did have some nice world premieres though.

Sayah

I was too busy studying for finals to worry about the VGA's. On that topic regardless, it was essentially a popularity contest among only a portion of the mainstream US audience. I feel that 70% of the people that voted for it probably didn't even play any of fighting games released this year, and as for the people that did, didn't even bother voting. Oh well, interesting result. I of course personally feel Tekken deserves it... but then I have to be honest with myself, the easiness in Persona's gameplay definitely worked in its favor to win the category.

Most reviewers end up playing fighting games from an hour-two hours before writing the review. It literally feels that way and it's a damn shame. That's why the state of this industry infuriates me. Most if not ALL of the "AAA" games that are hyped and reviewed really well end up being shallow and mediocre trash. I still can't believe GTAIV is the highest rated game of this generation. It's so baffling.

Also, sorry AAK. I would have played but brother wanted to do ranked match pair play.

Um...Persona 4 won? I am surprised because I thought no one bought it. I haven't played it yet and plan on getting it sooner or later, but I admittedly was a tad shocked TTT2 or DOA5 didn't win that category considering I think they sold better. Yeah, VGA's are basically a popularity contest full of mainstream gamers and games. I don't take it too serious. It did have some nice world premieres though.

Dark Souls II announcement really made me happy.

AAK

Most reviewers end up playing fighting games from an hour-two hours before writing the review. It literally feels that way and it's a damn shame. That's why the state of this industry infuriates me. Most if not ALL of the "AAA" games that are hyped and reviewed really well end up being shallow and mediocre trash. I still can't believe GTAIV is the highest rated game of this generation. It's so baffling.

Also, sorry AAK. I would have played but brother wanted to do ranked match pair play.

I think those awards were all fan voted, and not judges picks. The judges just choose the nominations I believe. And it's cool, some other time :)

Sayah

I think those awards were all fan voted, and not judges picks. The judges just choose the nominations I believe. And it's cool, some other time :)
Didn't know that. I still hate gaming media, lol. I will reference the IGN review each time I need to make a point. hahahaha.

I probably sound sour but it's criminal that Tag 2 got the treatment it did from the media after how much heart and soul was put into the game.

It's also pretty much impossible nowadays for a fighting game to actually win several GOTY awards. Which is retarded as hell b/c this is the one genre that truly offers deep, meaningful, satisfying and really phenomenal gameplay experiences with extraordinary amounts of replay value. I'm sorry these people suck at fighting games and can't for the life of them understand why these games are beyond many other game experiences.

DEATH™

Didn't know that. I still hate gaming media, lol. I will reference the IGN review each time I need to make a point. hahahaha.

I probably sound sour but it's criminal that Tag 2 got the treatment it did from the media after how much heart and soul was put into the game.

It's also pretty much impossible nowadays for a fighting game to actually win several GOTY awards. Which is retarded as hell b/c this is the one genre that truly offers deep, meaningful, satisfying and really phenomenal gameplay experiences with extraordinary amounts of replay value. I'm sorry these people suck at fighting games and can't for the life of them understand why these games are beyond many other game experiences.

The problem is in general, the pop culture we have here nowadays promote instant gratification. From cool graphics, to easy gameplay, you say it... and fighting games aren't exactly the games that give you that. especially Tekken.

Top Bottom