• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

DEATH™;45260795 said:
The problem is in general, the pop culture we have here nowadays promote instant gratification. From cool graphics, to easy gameplay, you say it... and fighting games aren't exactly the games that give you that. especially Tekken.

Mainstream pop culture is the problem, yes. I've tried various games in various genres and the vast majority of our "AAA" cinematic games have ended up being completely shallow experiences offering nothing but the same repetitive gameplay. It's like everyone wants to support mediocrity for the quick thrill and nothing more than that. A relevant example being CoD. It is beyond me how the series manages to break sales records each year with the same rehashed run and gun gameplay and even reused levels. And it's even more depressing when these same game experiences are defined as epitomizing "hardcore" gaming by many. Do these games actually require you to mentally exert yourself, push your limits, face your frustrations and commit yourself to becoming better? Maybe to a very small degree but not much more than that.

I also hate saying this stuff because I don't want to sound like some connoisseur. Really just upset with a lot of things in the world of my favorite hobby. I should stop thinking and talking about this stuff. :/

Edit: On a second read, this post sounds horrible. Ignore everything. lol

Sayah, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

For me, the state of the industry is becoming sort of depressing for me. Is it sad that I can predict which games are going to sell and which ones are going to flop? I still love gaming, but I am really beginning to loathe the direction it is heading in. I am a very open and lenient gamer and I will play niche or AAA games and buy whatever I am interested in, but for some reason, I always find myself coming back to the games that aren't as critically acclaimed or as popular. Don't get me wrong, I love me some high budget AAA titles as much as the next guy, but I do not like seeing less popular games get treated unfairly because they are not hyped to death or have millions of dollars in marketing behind them. Tekken Tag 2 gets a lowly 7.5 while other games that do not feature near as much replay value, quality, effort or enjoyment receive impeccable scores across the board despite their "imperfections". Ok, maybe I am a little bitter that TTT2 didn't receive more accolades. :( It is rather peculiar how fighters never to my knowledge get nominated for GOTY.

Dark Souls 2 announcement made me do a backflip, That surprised me and made me extremely happy.

I don't think anyone should be complaining about the VGA awards being too mainstream, when Journey walked away with three awards(including best PS3 title), BL2 won over the usual Halos and CoDs, and THE WALKING DEAD was Game of the Year(a small, downloadable, point and click adventure game with no pre-order bonuses, big multiplayer component, no big marketing power, etc).

Pachimari

I don't think anyone should be complaining about the VGA awards being too mainstream, when Journey walked away with three awards(including best PS3 title), BL2 won over the usual Halos and CoDs, and THE WALKING DEAD was Game of the Year(a small, downloadable, point and click adventure game with no pre-order bonuses, big multiplayer component, no big marketing power, etc).
That's my thoughts as well of this years VGA.

And Dishonored(fresh, interesting new ip) won best Action game over MUCH bigger/better advertised/bigger marketing power Assassin's Creed 3.

I mean, the presentation of the show was shit, with too many bad jokes, too many commercials, too many performances, etc...but the awards themselves were actually pretty interesting >_>

Degen

I need to play you guys again sometime to figure out what my favorite team is. haven't even used the jaguars seriously in a while

Dereck

I suggest people to listen to the AvoidthePuddle podcasts and watch their streams. Aris has some good stuff, particularly a two year old interview with JFJ and Rip, heard it last night for the first time, really interesting stuff. It takes place right after the 2011 Evo.

AAK

Any good Bob players I should be looking up?

And does anyone still play on Xbox?

2 of the best US players are Bob players: NYCFab and KOR. And in Korea, there's Saint, probably the scariest Bob/Ganryu player in the world right now. In T6 it was the Japanese Pekoso, but I haven't seen many Japanese vids to see how he fairs now.

Sayah

Sayah, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

For me, the state of the industry is becoming sort of depressing for me. Is it sad that I can predict which games are going to sell and which ones are going to flop? I still love gaming, but I am really beginning to loathe the direction it is heading in. I am a very open and lenient gamer and I will play niche or AAA games and buy whatever I am interested in, but for some reason, I always find myself coming back to the games that aren't as critically acclaimed or as popular. Don't get me wrong, I love me some high budget AAA titles as much as the next guy, but I do not like seeing less popular games get treated unfairly because they are not hyped to death or have millions of dollars in marketing behind them. Tekken Tag 2 gets a lowly 7.5 while other games that do not feature near as much replay value, quality, effort or enjoyment receive impeccable scores across the board despite their "imperfections". Ok, maybe I am a little bitter that TTT2 didn't receive more accolades. :( It is rather peculiar how fighters never to my knowledge get nominated for GOTY.

Dark Souls 2 announcement made me do a backflip, That surprised me and made me extremely happy.
Really have to agree with everything said here. I'm the same way, haha.

This year seemed better than the previous years but it definitely still needs a lot of great improvements.

I need to play you guys again sometime to figure out what my favorite team is. haven't even used the jaguars seriously in a while

You like Ogre. Stick with Ogre. I don't think the tournament thing needs to have character locks. I don't know. Unless someone thinks otherwise. I like greater diversity in characters.

Sayah

Damn. Reading those comments. People think Nina looks like a man just because she's got a more heavy built. Go into customize mode with Nina and you can really see that her model looks damn amazing. The blue eyes............

They better leave Nina alone. She looks great imo. I really like the fact that she deviates from the traditional female build/figure in fighting games. I don't mind some muscles on women and Nina actually looks like she can legitimately beat the crap out of anyone. That woman has won me tons of matches and even money over my lifetime lol.

DEATH™

AAK fighting Arturo now!!!

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

EDIT:
aww he lost...

EDIT2:
and he won the rematch... Bummer though he didn't spoil art's night by demoting him... >:D

------

Damn. Reading those comments. People think Nina looks like a man just because she's got a more heavy built. Go into customize mode with Nina and you can really see that her model looks damn amazing. The blue eyes............

Maybe because people expect DOA models on every 3D game... I'm not gonna be surprised if they complain about Chun Li's thighs in TxSF...

---------

Does that mean TTT2 is mainstream??? AAAAHH!!!

But come to think of it... if they are trying to help "smaller" games, them giving Persona the award makes sense...

Gambit61

This fucking game. Was playing some random player matches and kept getting paired against some Drag/Lili player who was destroying my new Leo/Bruce team. I told my friend about the things he was doing since he uses those two characters, but not on the same team and he just starts saying the guy i was fighting is really fucking good and sent me his WTF page:

http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/xbox/2763816199909831

Me: welp

Edit: My WTF in comparison >_>'
http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/xbox/2533274822299728

Dereck

Hey guys, when you point out you fought so and so on said stream, please try to post the time registers so the matches are easier to find. Thanks a billion

DEATH™;45307160 said:

EDIT:
aww he lost...

EDIT2:
and he won the rematch... Bummer though he didn't spoil art's night by demoting him... >:D

------

Maybe because people expect DOA models on every 3D game... I'm not gonna be surprised if they complain about Chun Li's thighs in TxSF...

---------

Does that mean TTT2 is mainstream??? AAAAHH!!!

But come to think of it... if they are trying to help "smaller" games, them giving Persona the award makes sense...

You should of heard the complaints about that in SF4......

DEATH™

You should of heard the complaints about that in SF4......

I thought most people loved it for some reason. Well... Cammy's better >:D

I wanna learn JC. What's the best baseline of moves to learn for her?

elbow (ff+1), war drum (4~2, 1), WR 1, bow n arrow (FC df+4, 3), iSW, Deja Vu (her new mad axes qcb~F+2), hopkick, spin_roll options, and you can look for others...

shotgun (d~DF+1) WAS a good move but now it's -12 whether you go to spin or not, so it's a double edge sword (just like her every move :D ).

DB 1+2
1+2

Repeat and win!

This link for emphasis.

Grifter

What's it mean when the opponent's name online is in yellow?

I'm seeing Koreans side-stepping to start their TA. Is there a hidden benefit besides wall angling?

Sayah

They better leave Nina alone. She looks great imo. I really like the fact that she deviates from the traditional female build/figure in fighting games. I don't mind some muscles on women and Nina actually looks like she can legitimately beat the crap out of anyone. That woman has won me tons of matches and even money over my lifetime lol.
^^^^
This.

People can call it man shoulders and muscles all they want, but that's how a fighter is supposed to be. Strong. I would think it's intentional on the devs part to keep it that way. Or Nina could have easily been modeled similarly to the other females (Anna, Julia, Michelle, etc).
DEATH™;45307160 said:

EDIT:
aww he lost...

EDIT2:
GO AAK :)

DoA has its own fanbase with its own specific needs. Some are there for the fighting. Some are there for other reasons. And I mean no offense to any DoA fans. I think DoA is a great series on its own but I can't even imagine Tekken females with that sort of DoA modeling and I would never ever want it that way. I don't think most people come to Tekken to drool over women and I don't think Tekken devs need to sexualize the female characters to appeal to their fanbase. It's one of the reasons I appreciate Tekken females more. They put up a better fight and aren't hindered by silly design choices (lol low health) and don't have disproportionate body representations (classic example: Chun-Li thighs, DoA models).

Also, as a note, I"ll reiterate that I don't mean offense to any fanbase. People can have an opinion completely contrary to mines and I'm perfectly okay with that.

DR2K

Banned
DoA has its own fanbase with its own specific needs. Some are there for the fighting. Some are there for other reasons. And I mean no offense to any DoA fans. I think DoA is a great series on its own but I can't even imagine Tekken females with that sort of DoA modeling and I would never ever want it that way. I don't think most people come to Tekken to drool over women and I don't think Tekken devs need to sexualize the female characters to appeal to their fanbase. It's one of the reasons I appreciate Tekken females more. They put up a better fight and aren't hindered by silly design choices (lol low health) and don't have disproportionate body representations (classic example: Chun-Li thighs, DoA models).

Also, as a note, I"ll reiterate that I don't mean offense to any fanbase. People can have an opinion completely contrary to mines and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Eh they've got the resources to improve character models with project soul. For next gen I wouldn't be surprised if they went deeper into detailing ehnacnements in the women(and men).

Don't be shocked if the girls start having major back pain in Tekken 7(or TxSF).

Doomshine

They seem to do it every time, even when they're juggling opponents' feet. (That's the goal, right?)

I usually do it most of the time too, I find that it makes the combos hit more consistently. Maybe I'm just imagining this, but I feel that it also pushes your inactive character closer to the opponent to make the follow-up easier to hit.

DEATH™

Eh they've got the resources to improve character models with project soul. For next gen I wouldn't be surprised if they went deeper into detailing ehnacnements in the women(and men).

This is the art direction they are going to. They are trying to exaggerate the bodies to be more muscular to make it believable for them to do those hard-hitting strikes (unlike project soul where characters use weapons). It's not your usual concept for ladies but it works in SF and Tekken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRzlQ84-Q8#t=14m02s

Sayah

SF is extremely stylized, so that works. Tekken's women just look like men with breasts. Except Ling.

Yes, this totally looks like a man with breasts.

Zafina-buttlerfly2.jpg

No.

Don't be shocked if the girls start having major back pain in Tekken 7(or TxSF).

The character models will get better as they go. But I don't know if they'll go that far.

DEATH™

Maybe you guys ain't just used to seeing buff women. There's some of them here in Cali, and they are HOT.

Speaking of buff, Nina's buffness is okay IMO especially with her 1P costume. Christie's nice too (reminds me of Korra).

Aww darn I have an idea for costume now...

Onemic

SF is extremely stylized, so that works. Tekken's women just look like men with breasts. Except Ling.

lol wut

And people are complaining about Nina being too buff? Really? She doesn't even look that muscular to me, and I would think a special agent shouldnt be a skinny twig.

Dereck

Besides the shoulders part, (which I don't even have problems with), every female looks like a female. Anything more is hyperbole and odd comparisons to Soul Calibur/DOA.

Onemic

Besides the shoulders part, (which I don't even have problems with), every female looks like a female. Anything more is hyperbole and odd comparisons to Soul Calibur/DOA.

Which females have shoulders that are too broad? Because from what I've seen they all look absolutely fine and in line with the slight muscular exaggeration of all their characters. Complaining about this just seems.... bizarre.

The only problem I have with Nina's model is her square shoulders, and you can't even tell that clearly while playing. Same with Christie. I don't they look manly, it just looks like a dated 3D model. Can't look at Lili and say that the Tekken team doesn't know how to model women.

Nina has the biggest ass in the game though so all is forgiven.

Top Bottom