• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sorry about that Sayah. Wouldn't let me join. And then I couldn't figure out how to invite you :p Been playing this for months but I'm still relatively new to online. I'm on wired now but I often get kicked back to the menu while matches are syncing. Not sure why.

I keep getting my ass kicked by Bryans and Hwoarangs in ranked so I've retreated to player match. I think I'm improving. Some guys that used give me trouble are easier now.

Sayah

Sorry about that Sayah. Wouldn't let me join. And then I couldn't figure out how to invite you :p Been playing this for months but I'm still relatively new to online. I'm on wired now but I often get kicked back to the menu while matches are syncing. Not sure why.

I keep getting my ass kicked by Bryans and Hwoarangs in ranked so I've retreated to player match. I think I'm improving. Some guys that used give me trouble are easier now.

No problem. Once you play enough Bryan, he becomes pretty predictable most of the time. Keep going strong. :)

AAK

Dammit... that was so embarassing. My first match on a stream and I was ripped 9-0. Oh well, 4th place isn't bad.

Sayah

There's only two True Tekken Gods on the leaderboards. Look at their match history. They do nothing but fight each other, taking turns losing to rank the other up. Namco needs to sort them out.

There were a lot more than that but Namco got rid of them.
Someone just needs to report this on the WTF forums and it'll probably get taken care of. So glad TTT2 brings more transparency now so boosters can piss off.

I'm always amazed that people exist on this planet that are willing to go through such great lengths for a leaderboard rank. lol

Dammit... that was so embarassing. My first match on a stream and I was ripped 9-0. Oh well, 4th place isn't bad.

I missed out on the matches. Will have to look at the archives later. And 4th place is great. :)

Pachimari

I'm not much for Street Fighter but I kind of like it on iPad. Will I like it on PS3? It's just, that I totally dig the style of the Tekken cast in there. I know it plays differently but isn't it a competent fighting game anyway?

And don't worry, I will never leave Tekken. I'll practice with Forest Law but I'm not yet sure if I wanna use JayCee, Jin, Leo or Slim Bob as his partner. I still practice movement as I think it's very difficult converting to a Hori stick from a Dual Shock controller.

There's only two True Tekken Gods on the leaderboards. Look at their match history. They do nothing but fight each other, taking turns losing to rank the other up. Namco needs to sort them out.

How is that even possible? So, he/she is going into rank matches and basically choosing who they want to fight? I thought it was random?

Sayah

How is that even possible? So, he/she is going into rank matches and basically choosing who they want to fight? I thought it was random?

They can probably exploit the game somehow. If you look at the play history, it's the same two guys fighting over and over again.

According to the description in this video, it could possibly be someone who got banished from the leaderboards earlier by the mods.

Maybe they got each account to get a high disconnect rate and only accept matches in the warm up room with identifiable d/c rates.

Well in any case it's a lot of effort for.... Nothing really.

Sayah

GameInformer Awards 2012
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 -- Best Fighting
"Even with a somewhat bare-bones online offering, it’s still one of the most refined fighters on the market." - Dan Ryckert

Did they really say bare-bones online? lol..........What's missing?

I'm disappointed they didn't have the global lobby system of SC5. Just regular old Player/Ranked match we've seen a million times.

And hey, at least it won ONE fighting game of the year. Everywhere else I look(GamesRadar, VGA, Destructoid, Slant Magazine, etc) it's Persona 4 Arena is raking them up.

Sayah

I'm disappointed they didn't have the global lobby system of SC5. Just regular old Player/Ranked match we've seen a million times.

And hey, at least it won ONE fighting game of the year. Everywhere else I look(GamesRadar, VGA, Destructoid, Slant Magazine, etc) it's Persona 4 Arena is raking them up.

Tekken World Arena is like the global lobby system of SC5. It was patched in a few weeks after release.

And Tekken Tag 2 also won from Gamespot.

Sayah

As long as it's got more than Dead or Alive, we're good to go
Damn. lol
So much hate for that series. I was watching competitive gameplay the other day and it looks like a lot of fun. I just never got around to buying it.
IGN will probably/most likely give DoA5 the award.

At some point in playing ghost battles. I've been getting lucky boxes 5-8matches in a row. I've noticed this star.. what does that do? and one of the stars a ufo flew out and left the screen. Just curious

So just discovered replay theater, yesterday.

Holy shit, I can't believe that some people say the game has barebones online features, that alone makes the online better than any game out.

More games need this...

Dereck

Holy shit, I can't believe that some people say the game has barebones online features, that alone makes the online better than any game out.
The only problem is that there is a limit to how many replays the game will store. Believe me, I am grateful for the feature, but if I have a large HDD I should be able to store as many as I please. (It might not even relate to HDD space)

DEATH™;45525393 said:
Star = Lucky Box streak
UFO = Lucky Box streak over...

ic, thhx.

Trying to brush up my skills starting so I'm using ghost battles. I need to find more variations in using Nina. But I'm getting the hang of blocking better

More games need this...

I can go back and watch all my recent matches to see what worked and what I did wrong. It's great.

mr_boo

I can go back and watch all my recent matches to see what worked and what I did wrong. It's great.
Don't know about you guys, it's painful for me to watch my losses. Usually, I'm pretty sure why I lost a match. It usually due to ....

[A] Superior Movement - this is when I don't stand a chance, and I'm simply being out-classed.
Frame Traps - I can't break their flow and I'm being hit hard all the while.
[C] Missed Opportunities - Dropped juggles, wrong punish.

With [A], I tip my hat ... but pisses me off since I can't seem to do anything.

Impatience is my worst enemy in this game, that and not being able to block Law's d/b+4 online, and throw breaking, that too.

I don't think I'll be playing ranked matches for a while.

Impatience is my worst enemy in this game, that and not being able block Law's d/b+4 online, and throw breaking, that too.

I don't think I be playing ranked matches for a while.

This is also my problem. Playing online a few matches isn't bad. But there will be times where I face someone equal to my level (or better) and I'm just being stupid (instead of blocking i'll back dash, trying to continue my combo even though i missed the first few hits, etc bc I'm being impatient).

I'm now using survival as my way of practicing against that.

GrayFoxPL

Where there any notable Japan vs Korea Tag2 tournaments? Who's generally "better"?

My mind is telling me Korea, heart - Japan.

I just miss most of the huge events/tournaments.

AAK

I actually only knew the Steve/Jin player. I believe he invited the liekzomg dude, and that guy probably invited the baek player.

Sayah

I actually only knew the Steve/Jin player. I believe he invited the liekzomg dude, and that guy probably invited the baek player.

Ok good. I've faced the baek player in ranked and he's sent me hatemail quite sometimes, hahahahaha.

AAK

Good games Sayah.

I just have to say man, one thing you can definitely improve on is punishing. I know you're not a fan of frame data, but a lot of things those guys were doing were unsafe (i.e. -10 or more) that you can get a free jab off or more. With your already amazing spacing and relentless offence, add that skill to your arsenal and your beastly status will be amplified.

This Steve I just fought... I could barely fit in a d+1 against him ;_; I was so scared. How are supposed supposed to fight these aggressive players?

Sayah

Good games Sayah.

I just have to say man, one thing you can definitely improve on is punishing. I know you're not a fan of frame data, but a lot of things those guys were doing were unsafe (i.e. -10 or more) that you can get a free jab off or more. With your already amazing spacing and relentless offence, add that skill to your arsenal and your beastly status will be amplified.

Yeah, I'm often missing out on punishing. Really wasn't playing well at all today. I also need to really pick up another character besides Nina/Anna. All my secondary characters are garbage. lol

And I have to really commend how far you've come since the T6 days. Really a completely drastic improvement in how you play. The thing I notice in your matches that could be improved on, though, is implementation of walls. You have a highly damaging wall combo with Julia/Hwoarang but I sometimes see that you miss out on wall combos that you could have done. This is usually when you have the opportunity to do a wall carry for significant damage but still miss out somehow. Not sure if I'm making sense.

This Steve I just fought... I could barely fit in a d+1 against him ;_; I was so scared. How are supposed supposed to fight these aggressive players?

Use Nina's b+1 for characters with heavy jab/kick rushdown/mixups (Steve [especially prone to this move], Baek, Hwoarang, even Law). That one simple move is a life saver when the opponent is all in your face and plus you can combo off of it.

Full combo I usually do --> b+1, d+4,1, f+2,1,1+2 (bound). And then you follow up with tag assault or whatever else.

Sayah

Maybe I'm reiterating this but I keep buying but have barely touched other games since TTT2 launched. Although often frustrating, everything just feels extremely satisfying and rewarding in TTT2. It's an experience like no other. Other games have mind games and what not but I really don't think they compare to Tag 2. Spacing/movement, high-low mixups, punishing.....almost everything feels like its at a whole other level in this game and isn't replicable by other fighters.

And the red life management is like a metagame itself. It creates a whole different sort of "panicking" experience.

AAK

They will eventually have high moves in their aggressive strings. You have to know when to duck against those strings and get a while rising punish. If they're constantly doing mids then you know that your jabs are faster and you can interrupt eventually. A lot of characters have very fast right kick that leads to a launcher like Julia, Law, Lee, among others that's the next fastest move after the jab which also interrupts a lot of pit bull players.

But honestly, backdashing and spacing properly and getting that whiff punish is the usual go to method.

As for Steve, yeah that guy is truly a fierce one. He has insane pressure and safe strings to make up for the lack of fast launchers and a variety of lows. With Steve you really need to be really careful and play solid footsies against him. He really is one character where you need to know when his strings go high. Because usually the high part of his string is almost always safe.

Yeah, I'm often missing out on punishing. Really wasn't playing well at all today. I also need to really pick up another character besides Nina/Anna. All my secondary characters are garbage. lol

And I have to really commend how far you've come since the T6 days. Really a completely drastic improvement in how you play. The thing I notice in your matches that could be improved on, though, is implementation of walls. You have a highly damaging wall combo with Julia/Hwoarang but I sometimes see that you miss out on wall combos that you could have done. This is usually when you have the opportunity to do a wall carry for significant damage but still miss out somehow. Not sure if I'm making sense.

Yeah, thanks for the compliments. THat Hwoarang/Julia wall combo is so finicky at times but yeah, I definitely need to optimize more. My execution for Julia's roll cancel juggles are terribad. I don't have the confidence to pull them off a lot of the time :(

Use Nina's b+1 for characters with heavy jab/kick rushdown/mixups (Steve [especially prone to this move], Baek, Hwoarang, even Law). That one simple move is a life saver when the opponent is all in your face and plus you can combo off of it.

Full combo I usually do --> b+1, d+4,1, f+2,1,1+2 (bound). And then you follow up with tag assault or whatever else.

Why did I not think of that? Those are all characters I have trouble with too.

Speaking of wall combos, what do you usually do? Nina's f+4,4,3 weirdly doesn't bound at the wall so I know to use ivory cutter instead. Other than that I've just been doing my regular fillers/enders. I know there's more damage potential there.

@AAK, thanks. I'll need to familiarise myself with all these strings at some point. Movement is definitely my priority though. I'm constantly getting outspaced and whiffing against better players.

DEATH™

A general solution usually with a steve is to out-space them, Steve is scary up close because he's generally safe, and most things that you do will lead for a meaty CH b+1/df+2. Remember though that his launchers are slow, and his punishment is really weak (Sonic Fang for -14?), so even if you can't punish most of his stuff, he can't punish you either. So, just outspace yourself and take chances, especially crush moves (especially hopkicks)...

Getting marginally better. My stick movements were feeling extra crispy in practice (I did A REAL BDC!!!!) so I jumped online and did pretty well in ranked.

DEATH™

Getting marginally better. My stick movements were feeling extra crispy in practice (I did A REAL BDC!!!!) so I jumped online and did pretty well in ranked.

For some reason I don't do well in ranked... (well I don't do well against Sayah and AAK in a player match so I doesn't matter...)

After this final I might be able to play more, I might ask for anyone for practice...

ooteeni

I've just got this on the Wii U. I have the Wii classic pro controller and i'm unable to assign movement to the left analog stick. Any ideas? The analog stick works in the menus.

I read somewhere you need to click down on the left stick but my sticks don't click in. :(
Cheers.

I've just got this on the Wii U. I have the Wii classic pro controller and i'm unable to assign movement to the left analog stick. Any ideas? The analog stick works in the menus.

I read somewhere you need to click down on the left stick but my sticks don't click in. :(
Cheers.

Don't play this game with the analog stick!

Top Bottom