• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

How do I say something without coming off as mean?

You can be as mean as you want. I don't get offended over forum posts. I need to make sure it looks good for the final thread so criticism is welcome.

Edit:

Does this at least look good?

jbexAZsWL6gW46.jpg

So, I think Xiaoyu might be easier to beat if you learn all the common moves that put her in BT or AOP, and hopkick the shit out of her on block.

Well, it worked pretty well playing a scrubby Xiaoyu in Ranked.

DEATH™

Can I make a banner? Though don't expect it to come out before Christmas... When will the thread come out?

@sayah is there any specifics that you want on the banner?

Call me crazy, but I think playing the CPU on ultra hard is sort of helping me out some. My confidence level with team Nina/Anna is going up a little and I seem to be winning even more matches online. Normally when I went online, I felt a little shaky before lol. I think my combos are improving and my execution seems to be getting better. I've always played Nina and didn't get to play Anna as often, but wow, Anna is just so good.

http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/psn/eraptura

Sayah, any tips for when the proper/better times to execute Anna's qcf + 1 single elbow?? I try to do it when my opponents are moving in towards me since it can launch on a counter hit. Are there certain types of moves that can be blocked that literally guarantee a launch? Even when an enemy does an unsafe move, I rarely connect with the elbow. They end up blocking or ducking it. Maybe I am too slow with the execution?

That banner looks good to me. Very wintery. I like it.

I also like the second one.

AAK

You can be as mean as you want. I don't get offended over forum posts. I need to make sure it looks good for the final thread so criticism is welcome.

Edit:

Does this at least look good?

jbexAZsWL6gW46.jpg

DAMN! That's straight up PRO!

My take on a banner:

iBkPeFCdc7Qvp.png

Grifter

For fillers, definitely go with either forward+4,3,3 or d/f+3,2,3. If you simply need to do a quick single move to raise the opponent in air, then do qcf+1 as filler. As an ender, qcf+2 works best. Just run forward a little and do the move. You can also try blonde bomb to end as well. Depending on the juggle, qcf+4,2,3 can work too.

Keep experimenting and you'll keep discovering. Creativity can be endless in this game.
Awesome, thanks! Tekken's lower on my list of favorite fighters but I'm glad to stick to it since the GAF community's been really helpful. Some smaller games get stuck with the same unfortunately crew that only posts to subtly remind you how good they think they are.

DEATH™;45525393 said:
Star = Lucky Box streak
UFO = Lucky Box streak over...
Been wondering about that. Was the star run its course and trigger the UFO when it's done, or does the UFO randomly appear to cut your streak off?

Sayah

Looks a lot better

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks! Tekken's lower on my list of favorite fighters but I'm glad to stick to it since the GAF community's been really helpful. Some smaller games get stuck with the same unfortunately crew that only posts to subtly remind you how good they think they are.

Been wondering about that. Was the star run its course and trigger the UFO when it's done, or does the UFO randomly appear to cut your streak off?

No problem. :)

the day I main Ninanna is the day I lose all self-respect

also feel free to use this expertly crafted banner

WVy5g.jpg

Looooooooool

DEATH™;45670434 said:
Can I make a banner? Though don't expect it to come out before Christmas... When will the thread come out?

@sayah is there any specifics that you want on the banner?

Yes, sure. I would appreciate it if you can. :)
No specific requirements.

Call me crazy, but I think playing the CPU on ultra hard is sort of helping me out some. My confidence level with team Nina/Anna is going up a little and I seem to be winning even more matches online. Normally when I went online, I felt a little shaky before lol. I think my combos are improving and my execution seems to be getting better. I've always played Nina and didn't get to play Anna as often, but wow, Anna is just so good.

http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/psn/eraptura

Sayah, any tips for when the proper/better times to execute Anna's qcf + 1 single elbow?? I try to do it when my opponents are moving in towards me since it can launch on a counter hit. Are there certain types of moves that can be blocked that literally guarantee a launch? Even when an enemy does an unsafe move, I rarely connect with the elbow. They end up blocking or ducking it. Maybe I am too slow with the execution?

I also like the second one.

Playing the CPU on ultra hard can help.

Usually, I don't think Anna's qcf+1 is good for punishing on block. But it is very useful in a lot of ways. Getting a counter hit is often what you aim for but you can also use the move in other creative ways. For instance, qcf+1 on block creates a little bit of a pushback. You should follow it up with d/f+2 or f+2+3. d/f+2 can work if your opponent starts attacking after qcf+1 with often anything other than quick jabs. Gives you a free launcher. However, there are other opponents that are already used to these sort of tricks so you have to diversify your reactions after each qcf+1.

Using qcf+2,1 can also be good from a distance.

DAMN! That's straight up PRO!

My take on a banner:

iBkPeFCdc7Qvp.png

I think I should just use all of these banners. haha

Esura

Banned
Your player card for the tournament is also a trap. :p

idgsLc3gM6hNN.png

And while I'm at it, what do you guys think of this as the banner?

ibkMxq4TJpgVdR.jpg

Um...yeahhh...

I could make a banner for you. You can PM me how you want it and I'll make it for ya.

EDIT: That training banner looks nice though.

Grifter

There is a slight window for where you can hold the d/f so it's best to press it right when the low hitting animation starts.
Is there startup? Like I got hit by a low chain that's blockable and I couldn't parry wo blocking hit 1.

Doomshine

Is there startup? Like I got hit by a low chain that's blockable and I couldn't parry wo blocking hit 1.

There are moves that can be low parried even if you get hit, like Lee's d+4,4,4,4, but generally you don't want to get hit before you attempt a low parry.

Thanks.

No problem. :)

Looooooooool

Yes, sure. I would appreciate it if you can. :)
No specific requirements.

Playing the CPU on ultra hard can help.

Usually, I don't think Anna's qcf+1 is good for punishing on block. But it is very useful in a lot of ways. Getting a counter hit is often what you aim for but you can also use the move in other creative ways. For instance, qcf+1 on block creates a little bit of a pushback. You should follow it up with d/f+2 or f+2+3. d/f+2 can work if your opponent starts attacking after qcf+1 with often anything other than quick jabs. Gives you a free launcher. However, there are other opponents that are already used to these sort of tricks so you have to diversify your reactions after each qcf+1.

Using qcf+2,1 can also be good from a distance.

I think I should just use all of these banners. haha

Thanks for the information. I'll experiment with it some more and those tactics sound great. It's so much fun to spa....execute that elbow. Yeah, I definitely agree that it is not good for punishing on block. I was just curious to see if I was doing something wrong. The qcf+2,1 does have good range and catches opponents by surprise.

Grifter

Been playing and attempting to help a Leo/Dragunov player. Is Leo's basic plan to abuse and mix up safe strings? Are Drag's hit throws actual throws? CH activated?

AAK

Been playing and attempting to help a Leo/Dragunov player. Is Leo's basic plan to abuse and mix up safe strings? Are Drag's hit throws actual throws? CH activated?

Leo is one of the most complete characters in TT2. She literally has the essentials for everything. She has a hopkick, long range 15-frame d/f+2 for punishing, a while rising launcher, safe strings going into stances, launchers from every stance if they guess wrong on the mixup, safe mid hitting strings that wall splat, parry's, grab that can be used as situational launchers launchers, damaging lows from both her neutral and full crouch, insane juggle and wall damage, among others.

You can literally play her in any way you want and make things work with her. You can turtle it out like crazy and just wait to land her various proficient launch punishers... or you can really go pitbull on them with pokes, strings and once they're at the wall they have to deal with the insane mixups she's capable of. She also has probably the best Tag Assault filler in the game with her f,f+3~d, 1,2 which only does 3 hits and leaves plenty of room for the point character to come in do whatever they please to finish the combo... Yeah, Leo is pretty cheap!

As for Dragunov's hit throws, they're called throw transitions, I talked about them briefly here, section 4. For Dragunov I think his d/f+3,3 doesn't need to CH but I could be wrong.

Can anyone recommend me a partner for Bryan? I've been soul searching a second character, but there aren't any characters that I'm interested in using.

Onemic

I sorta wanna start playing this game seriously now. Hwoarang and Jin have always been my favourite players since T3, but I hate Hwoarang's stupid just frame launcher, that everyone keeps saying is pretty much necessary to learn. I can only get it like 1 in every 50 - 100 tries. Is Baek easier? I also hear that Devil Jin is pretty much Jin in T3, which I like..... but just like Hwoarang I also hear he's really difficult to play as....

The only reason why I stick to Feng is because he's simple, but I like him and his playstyle nowhere near as much as Hwoarang or Devil Jin, or even Kazuya.

AAK

Can anyone recommend me a partner for Bryan? I've been soul searching a second character, but there aren't any characters that I'm interested in using.

I'm gonna say Bruce and Bryan work really well. If you're on PSN you can see Inkognito's replay data how he uses that team. It's really brutal Bruce along with Nina, Lars, and Leo is considered the strongest non-Mishima character in the game. Dragunov and Bryan have the rage status synergy where it takes less damage to get either of them into a rage status along with their unique Tag throw by doing Dragunov's f,f+1+2. And Dragunov is a really solid character regardless.

I sorta wanna start playing this game seriously now. Hwoarang and Jin have always been my favourite players since T3, but I hate Hwoarang's stupid just frame launcher, that everyone keeps saying is pretty much necessary to learn. I can only get it like 1 in every 50 - 100 tries. Is Baek easier? I also hear that Devil Jin is pretty much Jin in T3, which I like..... but just like Hwoarang I also hear he's really difficult to play as....

The only reason why I stick to Feng is because he's simple, but I like him and his playstyle nowhere near as much as Hwoarang or Devil Jin, or even Kazuya.

Hwoarang's difficulty doesn't come from JFSR IMO. JFSR is a really good move in TTT2 (only Jack/PJack can punish it on block) but his real strengths come from the Flamingo pressure and having a presence of mind to know what move to use in each situation depending on whichever of the 4 stances you're in. I've been learning Hwoarang since T6, I can do JFSR 70% of the time on P1 side and 40% on P2 side. But I hardly ever get to use it since I feel it's way more important to concentrate on my defense along with flamingo pressure when I'm at advantage. I only really use it as a whiff or tag-in punisher and in those situations it is one of the best moves to use in those situations. But at the higher ranks, good players rarely even whiff a jab so it's not that frequent I get to use it. Besides Hwoarang's b+3 is another launcher with more range than JFSR and just 1 frame slower IIRC. You can use that to substitute JFSR until you get the hang of it (and it took me months to get the hang of JFSR).

As for Baek, he's definitely easier than Hwoarang since he only has 2 stances compared to 4 on Hwoarang and no just frame move. Baek really is one of those characters who will torment the hell out of you if you don't know the matchup but will have to play really solid against people who are familiar with the options Baek has and has ideas on how to counter him. Both Hwoarang and Baek are mixup heavy characters with lots of cancels in between stances and require A LOT of quick thinking and reflexes to play. But again this is speaking in terms of getting them at their optimal level of play. For Mishima's like Devil Jin and such, the same thing applies. Their greatest skill is the wavedash pressure and pushing out electrics from them. It's a 14f safe launcher but it isn't easy doing it straight out of a dash, sidestep, and especially a wavedash. Hence that's where their execution comes into play.

Your team of Feng and Jin is really solid and even with the little time you had with the game I really liked the way you used them. If you're not enjoying that's another thing but you can definitely make that duo work.

#1 TIP FOR GETTING BETTER:

A good majority of Tekken is knowing what tools your opponent has and the disadvantages of those tools. USE THE REPLAY DATA function of this game. Watch the matchups you had where you lost. Take note of what moves your opponent used to do you in or the setups. Go into Practice mode and in the defensive option play those same set of moves. Block them and try to punish them/See if any part of the string can be ducked/See if anywhere you can sidestep it. So many different things you can try to think of to beat it and eventually you'll find a solution. Practice beating that setups for a few times since the command capture function will keep on looping. You've just leveled up. Next time you face that setup online you'll know how to neutralize it and this does magnitudes in destroying your opponent's composure.

Onemic

I'm gonna say Bruce and Bryan work really well. If you're on PSN you can see Inkognito's replay data how he uses that team. It's really brutal Bruce along with Nina, Lars, and Leo is considered the strongest non-Mishima character in the game. Dragunov and Bryan have the rage status synergy where it takes less damage to get either of them into a rage status along with their unique Tag throw by doing Dragunov's f,f+1+2. And Dragunov is a really solid character regardless.

Hwoarang's difficulty doesn't come from JFSR IMO. JFSR is a really good move in TTT2 (only Jack/PJack can punish it on block) but his real strengths come from the Flamingo pressure and having a presence of mind to know what move to use in each situation depending on whichever of the 4 stances you're in. I've been learning Hwoarang since T6, I can do JFSR 70% of the time on P1 side and 40% on P2 side. But I hardly ever get to use it since I feel it's way more important to concentrate on my defense along with flamingo pressure when I'm at advantage. I only really use it as a whiff or tag-in punisher and in those situations it is one of the best moves to use in those situations. But at the higher ranks, good players rarely even whiff a jab so it's not that frequent I get to use it. Besides Hwoarang's b+3 is another launcher with more range than JFSR and just 1 frame slower IIRC. You can use that to substitute JFSR until you get the hang of it (and it took me months to get the hang of JFSR).

As for Baek, he's definitely easier than Hwoarang since he only has 2 stances compared to 4 on Hwoarang and no just frame move. Baek really is one of those characters who will torment the hell out of you if you don't know the matchup but will have to play really solid against people who are familiar with the options Baek has and has ideas on how to counter him. Both Hwoarang and Baek are mixup heavy characters with lots of cancels in between stances and require A LOT of quick thinking and reflexes to play. But again this is speaking in terms of getting them at their optimal level of play. For Mishima's like Devil Jin and such, the same thing applies. Their greatest skill is the wavedash pressure and pushing out electrics from them. It's a 14f safe launcher but it isn't easy doing it straight out of a dash, sidestep, and especially a wavedash. Hence that's where their execution comes into play.

Your team of Feng and Jin is really solid and even with the little time you had with the game I really liked the way you used them. If you're not enjoying that's another thing but you can definitely make that duo work.

A good majority of Tekken is knowing what tools your opponent has and the disadvantages of those tools. USE THE REPLAY DATA function of this game. Watch the matchups you had where you lost. Take note of what moves your opponent used to do you in or the setups. Go into Practice mode and in the defensive option play those same set of moves. Block them and try to punish them/See if any part of the string can be ducked/See if anywhere you can sidestep it. So many different things you can try to think of to beat it and eventually you'll find a solution. Practice beating that setups for a few times since the command capture function will keep on looping. You've just leveled up. Next time you face that setup online you'll know how to neutralize it and this does magnitudes in destroying your opponent's composure.

Thanks, I'll try Baek. I like Feng, I just like Hwoarang and Baek's playstyle more.

I'll start using the replay function once I get a good handle of the basics in the game.

Thanks, I'll try out Dragunov and Bruce to see which character I like the most and are most beneficial even though they both are. I don't have a PS3 copy of TTT2. Just Wii U.

Sayah

You can do the launcher without the blue sparks more easily at least. After forward, press d/f or qcf and hold d/f while pressing circle.

Um...yeahhh...

I could make a banner for you. You can PM me how you want it and I'll make it for ya.

EDIT: That training banner looks nice though.

Of course, sure. :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I never knew how time consuming this is. It's going to be a long time until I get ones for all characters.

These are what I have so far.

i7sMRwo7tFXnX.png

ibqyxcSAdQC64T.png

Those are some awesome mods, man! I only have the PC version of the first Street Fighter IV, but I haven't really messed with the mods much, besides one alternate Cammy once...I should look to see what I can find. I looked through it for a moment a few days ago, but didn't see much...at least, nothing that cool looking.

...anyway, that PS3 tournament is in only a few days, right? I should probably start training for it...I don't think I've touched the game in over a month. I believe the last time I played it was the day that Dr. Bosconovitch, Violet, and Unknown were added.

I got a ton of other games to play, and I got a Wii U last month, so I've been really distracted. Hah.

Is dat Rebecca Chambers? If I had a better computer I'd play AE on pc as I got a free code for it on GFWL from Evo2K11. Man imagine if TTT2 was for PC, the mods would be glorious.

Yeah, that's what I need to work on. So many characters and moves, so little time. I think that's some very beneficial advice. You can know your team inside-out, backwards and forward, but when an unfamiliar fighter comes out, you could be screwed unless you have lighting quick reflexes with good spacing or know how to fight/defend against the opponent.

Nice mods. I haven't played a SF game in I don't know how long.

Probably been answered, but how do you get different characters and tag combinations to appear in ghost battle? I've had the game for about a month now, and yet I seem to fight mostly the same tag teams, with the same customizations. I noticed it mentions something about ghost data when going into online mode, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Getting a little tired of fighting double Laws, with Forest wearing a weird wrestler outfit and Marshal looking like he's come straight out of the '70s.

AAK

Probably been answered, but how do you get different characters and tag combinations to appear in ghost battle? I've had the game for about a month now, and yet I seem to fight mostly the same tag teams, with the same customizations. I noticed it mentions something about ghost data when going into online mode, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Getting a little tired of fighting double Laws, with Forest wearing a weird wrestler outfit and Marshal looking like he's come straight out of the '70s.

Not sure how it works in TTT2, but in T6 you could download specific people's ghost data from the leaderboards and they would randomly appear in the ghost battle mode. Try that, they should have their customizations too.

I'm getting frustrated as I STILL can't do tag assaults. :( Oh well, more practice...

It takes some time to learn your own tag combos if you are using an uncommon team, but yeah, back to practice mode. Normally, tag assault filler that works with other teams will work with your team as well, just have to find a decent ender.

AAK

I'm getting frustrated as I STILL can't do tag assaults. :( Oh well, more practice...

I dunno if you know this, but there is a generic Tag Assault bound move every character has, it's 1+2+5. And if you hold the 5, the incomming character will do an automatic filler for you.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How's the Wii U version of this play? Want to get a new game for my Wii U, and I'm interested in this, but I read a lot of other ports suffered various issues. How does this one hold up?

A bit late but Merry Christmas folks
Eb8GG.jpg

took forever to find a decent xmas related tekken pic

How's the Wii U version of this play? Want to get a new game for my Wii U, and I'm interested in this, but I read a lot of other ports suffered various issues. How does this one hold up?

As far as I know the WiiU version runs just fine.

qq more

Never played the 360/PS3 version but the Wii U version seems to run just fine. Also supports Off TV mode!

AAK

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cool, total Tekken Newb, so I'm excited to play it.

What's a good character for beginners?

Top Bottom