• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Classic costumes. More customization. A new stage here and there. Tekken Ball. Bowl. Even a new character like that Devil, Kamiya, Tougou etc. Even a Tiger ending.

I just don't see where all the praise comes from if this is it. I applaud them for making it all free and at one side it should be when it were on-disc and ready to go. But basically, there wasn't even any support after release, other than the patch that fixed some stuff and introduced a few things. We need more of that.

Anyway, I'm also starting just to want them to get onto Tekken X Street Fighter. :)

Just take a look at Capcom's offerings and it's pretty easy to see where the praise comes from. Humoungous roster, extra FREE characters, extra FREE content, tons of CG endings (even if one character is missing), and the whole WTF website support. Even if all of it was pre-planned, they're still lapping the fighting game competition.

I just wish there was an additional robust single player option, or that Fight Lab was more thorough and useful.

GrayFoxPL

Am I the only one who feels like there haven't been any support after release? Because the DLC characters, levels and music had surely been done before release, as some of it were on-disc. I expected something more would be developed after the launch, which I still hope for.

Harada said million times there's not gonna be paid dlc. They've already gave away everything. So what do you want? Support is better then any other fg as they monitor complains quickly patch glitches. Not to mentions servers work 24/7.

Pachimari

It's not that I want anything in particular, in fact I never talked about payed DLC or anything specific. The praise is warranted in comparison to the competition no doubt, but it's also unwarranted in that much of the DLC were already made, while I were of the assumption they would support the game after release. I'm pretty sure many talked about them supporting it after release.

I love the game more than a lot else. Though I'm disappointed they are treating their audience differently in giving the Wii U players Tekken Ball while we still haven't gotten a mode many on PS3 have been craving.

And beside this praise for their DLC; I totally dig, love and train this game. It's also the best game for guests - I love it and have loved Tekken since the first in the 90s. :)

GrayFoxPL

They had to give Wii U something. Mario costumes are pretty worthless outside of fanbase and Tekken Ball is pretty much the only thing they got..

I don't see how's one mini game is treating them better since they got worse port of the game.

I think some people confuse Tekken, Soul Calibur being in the same brand. While SC gets tons of shitload of paid crap, Harada promised only free content besides old soundtracks and fmv. I think not many people realize how much Harada had to fight so that Namco wouldn't take 40$ in total for the additional content. They easily would.

Tekken is not dlc cow. And thank Harada for that.

Kokonoe

Banned
I am currently renting this for the Wii U and was wanting to know if there were more costumes in the game to unlock other than what's currently in the shop and available from the start. Seems the customization in this game isn't as good as Tekken 6.

Pachimari

Again, I didn't say they are treating Wii U players better, just different. Read my posts. They got costumes and their Nintendo exclusive mode which should have been more than enough, besides it would be clever of them releasing Tekken Ball for everyone seeing how many have enjoyed that mode when they were younger. Again, I'm not dishing them. Just too bad they aren't giving more DLC seeing how much potential there is for a long-supported game by a developer.

DEATH™

They had to give Wii U something. Mario costumes are pretty worthless outside of fanbase and Tekken Ball is pretty much the only thing they got..

I don't see how's one mini game is treating them better since they got worse port of the game.

I think some people confuse Tekken, Soul Calibur being in the same brand. While SC gets tons of shitload of paid crap, Harada promised only free content besides old soundtracks and fmv. I think not many people realize how much Harada had to fight so that Namco wouldn't take 40$ in total for the additional content. They easily would.

Tekken is not dlc cow. And thank Harada for that.

Yep. Also, having less online competition and the 1 frame inlut lag slower than ps360 doesnt cut it for competitive standpoint. Wii U copy = casual port

I am currently renting this for the Wii U and was wanting to know if there were more costumes in the game to unlock other than what's currently in the shop and available from the start. Seems the customization in this game isn't as good as Tekken 6.

Except for nintendo costumes, none... the bikini dlc is unlocked in ghost battles though...

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, there's no gloves or boot section.

Hairstyles are also terrible. Slicked back hair from T6 is missing, but you can give all men girl hairstyles now - okay...

On the plus side there's color edit and stickers.

You can unlock some classic stuff like Kazuya's purple tuxedo.

T5 customs were the best anyway :p.

DEATH™

Yeah, there's no gloves or boot section.

Hairstyles are also terrible. Slicked back hair from T6 is missing, but you can give all men girl hairstyles now - okay...

On the plus side there's color edit and stickers.

You can unlock some classic stuff like Kazuya's purple tuxedo.

T5 customs were the best anyway :p.

Hands and feet selection are cut due to processing problems. Don't expect any improvements until next gen consoles with better processors...

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;45930546 said:
Hands and feet selection are cut due to processing problems. Don't expect any improvements until next gen consoles with better processors...

To be honest I don't buy that. I understand ram limitations on consoles but not on beefy arcade hardware. I think they just couldn't be bothered to fiddle with 55 character's junk.

Harada probably said: "Guys are we doing a fighting game or a fashion show? Cut that shit to half" "Thank god, we're wasting so much time designing Finnish socks for Lars."

DEATH™

To be honest I don't buy that. I understand ram limitations on consoles but not on beefy arcade hardware. I think they just couldn't be bothered to fiddle with 55 character's junk.

Harada probably said: "Guys are we doing a fighting game or a fashion show? Cut that shit to half" "Thank god, we're wasting so much time designing Finnish socks for Lars."

I won't buy it either... if they didn't reduce resolution during the game and purposely cutting all the background stuff on online play and wii u version.

What I mean is, if the ram is not really maxed out, they won't do those sacrifices. If we want a more detailed customs, might as well change the game to 30fps.

Not only that, even if lets say arcade got better customs, people will complain about console version getting less stuff, aka t6 console all overagain...

Doomshine

DEATH™;45929708 said:
Yep. Also, having less online competition and the 1 frame inlut lag slower than ps360 doesnt cut it for competitive standpoint. Wii U copy = casual port

Wait, so WiiU version has 2 frames of lag?

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;45933468 said:
I won't buy it either... if they didn't reduce resolution during the game and purposely cutting all the background stuff on online play and wii u version.

What I mean is, if the ram is not really maxed out, they won't do those sacrifices. If we want a more detailed customs, might as well change the game to 30fps.

Not only that, even if lets say arcade got better customs, people will complain about console version getting less stuff, aka t6 console all overagain...

Nah I mean for netcode they needed all the cpu power they could get.

Arcade ttt2 had much more ram, lowering res even there has more to do with processing the huge amount of polygons in 60 fps, then the data for items. If you put on a character the most detailed outfit and the max amount of silly items plus stickers you would probably get as polygonal and texture"filled" model as fully equipped one from T6, maybe even more since they upgraded the models. When they have a set limit of polygons and texture data per character they can use it however they want. It's not like the full sets of pants and boots they made would take up more polygons if separated. What's the difference for hardware if it's rendering a jacked with these or that kind of gloves, when they both take up the same amount of polygons and texture data. Assuming they made all gloves with the same limit of polygons and texture data. I understand that's how they did it in T6.

I know it would be hard on consoles with low ram, but on arcade when they didn't have to worry about it? Is there a difference in processing polygonal mesh of a character consisting of say 1mil polygons and 400mb texture data and processing different polygonal mesh(differently composed outfit, components etc) with the same amount of polygons and texture data? Maybe I'm thinking wrong about it, I don't know. Probably.

If they developed Arcade Tag2 with console limitations in mind, then yeah, I agree. I just think they simply "simplified" the customs in order to focus on the important factors. But that just my ramblings :).

It's New Year here in Poland.

So in New Year 2013 I wish all of Tekken GAF maximum of good health and good feeling, great and fun matches on and offline in TAG2, to level up easily and to see and experience more Tekken (TxSF, Tekken 7 - I'm looking at you)!

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!

TEKKEN GAF = BEST GAF! ;)

Yes in bold! :D

DEATH™

Wait, so WiiU version has 2 frames of lag?

I think some say 1 frame plus not having a wired controls of some sorts... Either way, not the competitive console of choice. Not that it matters anyway since the competitive players tend to play on ps360...

@grayfox yeah somebody will ask about console port in some part of the development. Its a pr nightmare to explain to the public why they took away some features thats present in arcades. Knowing too that not everybody have access to arcades,,,

Either way you gotta applaud the tekken team... they did a marvelous game.

PS hapoppy new year to everyone!!!

Sayah

Thanks a lot GrayFox and Death. Tekken community thread is my sole reason for being here. Happy New Year to everyone. Wishing you all the best of health and happiness. Stay positive. Don't let things in life get you down. And don't forget to smile. :)

AAK

I return the happy wishes to everybody :)

And yeah, don't let my rank fool you. I went through like 3-4 demotions to get there. I've been playing quite a bit this winter break. The Montreal tournament is in less than a week. And then I'm going to be trapped in school. Gonna be a break from Tekken then.

And Apex is in less that 2 weeks for you too! Is your bro also gonna enter?

Sayah

I return the happy wishes to everybody :)

And yeah, don't let my rank fool you. I went through like 3-4 demotions to get there. I've been playing quite a bit this winter break. The Montreal tournament is in less than a week. And then I'm going to be trapped in school. Gonna be a break from Tekken then.

And Apex is in less that 2 weeks for you too! Is your bro also gonna enter?

Nah, just me at Apex.

And wow, my Dragunov sucks. hahahaha

Sayah

Wish I could have streamed those matches. So many intense fights. Thanks for the matches AAK. Always fun to have a full lobby with little to no lag present. It's hard to go online in other fighters now. <3 Team Tekken.

And the more I play this game, the less I want to play anything else. I really love this game so much. It's like the best thing to happen to gaming in awhile.

AAK

Wish I could have streamed those matches. So many intense fights. Thanks for the matches AAK. Always fun to have a full lobby with little to no lag present. It's hard to go online in other fighters now. <3 Team Tekken.

And the more I play this game, the less I want to play anything else. I really love this game so much. It's like the best thing to happen to gaming in awhile.

Yeah, this mexican white boy dude has INSANE reactions. He can literally see every Julia 50/50 and block accordingly.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The first character I beat Arcade mode with happened to be Tiger, lol.

I was wondering why I didn't unlock an Ending for him. :(

The game is really fun, but I'm having a hard time getting it down...took me forever to beat the Defense-section of the Combot Training Mode, for instance. :/ I've never been good at fighting games, but I think I'm slowly improving atleast.

Sayah

Yeah, this mexican white boy dude has INSANE reactions. He can literally see every Julia 50/50 and block accordingly.

Yeah, that guy is amazing good. That other Nina player is also making me reevaluate how I use my Nina.

Dereck

It's not that I want anything in particular, in fact I never talked about payed DLC or anything specific. The praise is warranted in comparison to the competition no doubt, but it's also unwarranted in that much of the DLC were already made, while I were of the assumption they would support the game after release. I'm pretty sure many talked about them supporting it after release.

I love the game more than a lot else. Though I'm disappointed they are treating their audience differently in giving the Wii U players Tekken Ball while we still haven't gotten a mode many on PS3 have been craving.

And beside this praise for their DLC; I totally dig, love and train this game. It's also the best game for guests - I love it and have loved Tekken since the first in the 90s. :)
The praise is warranted whether or not the DLC was on disc.

Stupid question but my friend is having trouble finding where the option is to do online practice mode on the Wii U version...where is it at?

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh wow, just found out this Tekken Supporters thing where you give the player characters money and get items. Unlocking new items now!

Pretty late but happy new year Tekken GAF! :D

Stupid question but my friend is having trouble finding where the option is to do online practice mode on the Wii U version...where is it at?

Online menu -> Player Match (or Friendly Match on the Wii U version I think) -> Create new session -> Practice -> ON

Arcade ttt2 had much more ram, lowering res even there has more to do with processing the huge amount of polygons in 60 fps, then the data for items.

Did we ever get a confirmation on the specs of Namco's arcade System 369? (The one TTT2 is on)

I'm starting to get the impression that the arcade machine was not that significant of an upgrade compared to the previous system (357) and I can't find the source behind system 369 having a lot more RAM despite me hearing it a lot.

I'm thinking that all they did was update the system firmware, base the machine on the PS3 Slim and just give internet connectivity to the machine. (Game updates, Bana passports, Tekken-net, Tekken live monitor, Play charges etc)

Oh wow, just found out this Tekken Supporters thing where you give the player characters money and get items. Unlocking new items now!

So it just unlocks items for the characters? Huh. Strange that I haven't really found a video walk through on it cause it sounds interesting.

Quadratic

Too many pages to sift through and it's probably been asked. The game is now on sale and I'm thinking of picking it up. Which version should I buy? I have all the HD consoles. Is the online community mainly on the PS3? I don't have a stick for the Wii U so I might rule that out unless there's a huge advantage with the newer hardware. Hope the question doesn't turn into a console war. Not sure how the communities of Tekken 6 fared on 360 and PS3 months after launch.

AAK

Looking at the leaderboards:

EDIT: Dan rank isn't a good way of measuring, the battle point is better:

PS3: 265,266
360: 81,514

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Too many pages to sift through and it's probably been asked. The game is now on sale and I'm thinking of picking it up. Which version should I buy? I have all the HD consoles. Is the online community mainly on the PS3? I don't have a stick for the Wii U so I might rule that out unless there's a huge advantage with the newer hardware. Hope the question doesn't turn into a console war. Not sure how the communities of Tekken 6 fared on 360 and PS3 months after launch.

I have the game on PS3 and 360. There's definitely more people on PS3, but plenty of players on 360. The game also loads faster on 360 (installed) as well.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Oh, got excited for nothing.

Don't worry about it. It kinda sucks.

You give cash to a character and they MIGHT give you an item in return. 9 times out of 10, they won't.

It's an online leaderboard to see who's getting the most donations.

Grifter

I need to fix my combos when juggling towards a wall. It's esp. tricky for me when it's going at a slight angle and/or the camera view is at/behind the wall. Is the general plan to change the combo for something that knocks them high and far that still provides time for recovering into a bound after the splat?

GrayFoxPL

Oh shit I keep forgetting something.

Few days ago I saw something new in a kor or jp match vid.

I'm a Lee player and got so confused. Guy did 4,4 into somersault.

I was like "wtf?" Lee has 4,u3 and machine gun kick 4,4,4 and that looked like slower machine gun 4,4 into u3 somersault.

I tried to do this in practice mode and no go. Either it's some old shit I never knew about or some new just frame.

Any ideas?

I just want add +1 for classic costumes.

As someone who isn't a competitive player with other games grabbing my attention, it's hard to pop it in without the little things that would make a ton of sense and go a long way in adding to its value for me.

-Classic costumes/customization pieces
-Tekken Ball/Bowl
-Tekken tunes playlists and multiple songs cycled per stage

I was like "wtf?" Lee has 4,u3 and machine gun kick 4,4,4 and that looked like slower machine gun 4,4 into u3 somersault.

I tried to do this in practice mode and no go. Either it's some old shit I never knew about or some new just frame.

Any ideas?

Maybe you were looking at Violet's Acid Rain?

Doomshine

Any ideas?

Can't he do 4,3,4 or something like that? Is that what you saw?

Top Bottom