• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

I actually want to use Steve instead of Bruce or Dragunov because he's a boxer. I like his movesets, however I suck using him since most of his combos transitions from peekaboo to flicker I think. Anyone have tips on using Steve?

AAK

Anyone know any Feng juggles and tag juggles with Jin?

I can't tell you off the top of my head... but Hao is the best Feng player in the world and plays your team. All the information is here ;)

If there is any move you don't know just time stamp it and I'll tell you what it is.

I actually want to use Steve instead of Bruce or Dragunov because he's a boxer. I like his movesets, however I suck using him since most of his combos transitions from peekaboo to flicker I think. Anyone have tips using Steve?

Steve isn't an easy character at all, but man oh man is he fearsome once you get it. Probably the deadliest frame trap character in the game. However, you really do need to have a solid foundation on every move that you can cancel into a sway or a duck and all the left punches that can be cancelled to (mostly) flicker and also into peakaboo. I honestly don't know much about Steve, but you can check out the T6 tutorial for Steve by the LYUG crew. Most of that stuff and playstyle transfers over to TTT2. A huge difference between T6 and TTT2 is the nerf to his d/b+3,2 stomp and the addition of the new launcher b+2.

Steve isn't an easy character at all, but man oh man is he fearsome once you get it. Probably the deadliest frame trap character in the game. However, you really do need to have a solid foundation on every move that you can cancel into a sway or a duck and all the left punches that can be cancelled to (mostly) flicker and also into peakaboo. I honestly don't know much about Steve, but you can check out the T6 tutorial for Steve by the LYUG crew. Most of that stuff and playstyle transfers over to TTT2. A huge difference between T6 and TTT2 is the nerf to his d/b+3,2 stomp and the addition of the new launcher b+2.

Thanks, I just finished watching Steve's tutorial. The tutorial convinced me that he's a complicated character. There is so much to learn with Steve, but it's kind of hard for me to grasp because tbh this will take many hours to learn him.

Degen

I dunno if you know this, but there is a generic Tag Assault bound move every character has, it's 1+2+5. And if you hold the 5, the incomming character will do an automatic filler for you.
I would be so lost without that auto-filler... too much work to do anything else lol

Jack-6, P. Jack, Lili, Paul, Forest, Ganryu, Ancient Ogre. They require the least execution and don't have very integral stances.
I wonder if that's a little too objective. Ancient Ogre and the Jacks might be easy from that standpoint, but they can be really frustrating to use because of their play style. I have tried to take AO seriously since the game's release and still feel like I can't do anything with him, but recently took Miguel online after a little bit of practice and shot up the ranks without knowing his stance or half of his moves

It's kind of like saying Hakan is great for beginners in SSF4 because he's generally low-execution and has some great normals with big hitboxes, which is true... but take him online and you'll be asking yourself "what was I supposed to do about that?" and blaming "the match-up" left and right lol

I guess what I'm really getting at is that it depends on the goal. There are "low execution" characters but there are also "instant gratification" characters, as well as a ton of characters that just do a good job without the player needing to know every little detail. Consider how many Mishima players you see online (a LOT), even though the characters are borderline impossible to master. It isn't until you get near the top that the Mishima players are all from Asia (lol). You guys know I suck, but I still mained Bryan from T3 to early T6 and felt like I was doing fine the whole time, just running on his basics and the games' fundamentals. It wasn't until recently that I even knew he was supposed to have a steep learning curve. Some characters are crazy-hard to learn completely, but that really only comes into effect for tourney players like you and Gaf's hidden boss Sayah

Pachimari

I dunno if you know this, but there is a generic Tag Assault bound move every character has, it's 1+2+5. And if you hold the 5, the incomming character will do an automatic filler for you.
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that when I went back to practice total basics like get-ups and movement. Thanks. It'll do until I can do my own Tag Assaults. :)

Not sure how it works in TTT2, but in T6 you could download specific people's ghost data from the leaderboards and they would randomly appear in the ghost battle mode. Try that, they should have their customizations too.

Thanks, that seemed to work. Seeing more varied character combinations now in addition to the old ones. So if I was to download a bunch of King replays, would that make him more likely to appear as a gold fight in ghost battle?

Sayah

I would be so lost without that auto-filler... too much work to do anything else lol

I wonder if that's a little too objective. Ancient Ogre and the Jacks might be easy from that standpoint, but they can be really frustrating to use because of their play style. I have tried to take AO seriously since the game's release and still feel like I can't do anything with him, but recently took Miguel online after a little bit of practice and shot up the ranks without knowing his stance or half of his moves

It's kind of like saying Hakan is great for beginners in SSF4 because he's generally low-execution and has some great normals with big hitboxes, which is true... but take him online and you'll be asking yourself "what was I supposed to do about that?" and blaming "the match-up" left and right lol

I guess what I'm really getting at is that it depends on the goal. There are "low execution" characters but there are also "instant gratification" characters, as well as a ton of characters that just do a good job without the player needing to know every little detail. Consider how many Mishima players you see online (a LOT), even though the characters are borderline impossible to master. It isn't until you get near the top that the Mishima players are all from Asia (lol). You guys know I suck, but I still mained Bryan from T3 to early T6 and felt like I was doing fine the whole time, just running on his basics and the games' fundamentals. It wasn't until recently that I even knew he was supposed to have a steep learning curve. Some characters are crazy-hard to learn completely, but that really only comes into effect for tourney players like you and Gaf's hidden boss Sayah
Jack, P. Jack and True Ogre are all big.. If you are looking for fast rushdown type character, they may not be the best options. As you said, I think it comes down to player preference.
And you don't suck. :p You just have yourself focused on too many characters. I don't even know who your main is. lol

I played online against player. The player was using King and Marduk. I got mauled so hard that I start laughing at it. I really suck at this game. However, I'm going to keep playing it.

awesome
B3lsb.jpg

GrayFoxPL

How hard is Devil Jin to learn? Keep wanting to switch to him, but Fengs simplicity stops me

Master electrics and he's a god, without them he's still pretty good. Nothing difficult apart of learning ff31~ff rewind for juggles which seems simple but I see it being whiffed even by godly Korean players. Kinda move that hits whenever DJ feels like it, lol.

Cool.

Wait, is that Hei's wife or Asuka?

Pervy if so. I like it.

braves01

Banned
Any Wii U players having trouble with the dpad? I'm having trouble getting some basic moves to register (sidesteps in particular) 100% of the time. I can't tell if it's because I suck or Wii U dpad just isn't great for this game. Hopefully I won't have any problems when my Tatsunoko stick arrives. Otherwise, the game is great and I even got my ass handed to me online for the first time yesterday.

GrayFoxPL

I'd say Asuka, since she's wearing that emblem-thing in her hair that's on her biker-style regular outfit.

Good point.

Few days ago something blew my mind. When I realized it I started laughing at myself for never noticing this. You guys know this I'm sure.

Sorry for the quality, youtube screenshots.

iby00Cg3wTv22a.jpg

iP0OkD4W8WhPq.jpg

So awesome! XD

AAK

I played online against player. The player was using King and Marduk. I got mauled so hard that I start laughing at it. I really suck at this game. However, I'm going to keep playing it.

See the end of this post :)

How hard is Devil Jin to learn? Keep wanting to switch to him, but Fengs simplicity stops me

Let's look at Regular Jin for an example: He can 15 frame punish, whiff punish, or sidestep punish you with his d+3+4 launcher or hopkick. With Devil Jin, you have to EWGF the other guy. Of coarse you can do simple punishes like 1,1,2 or b+1,1+2 or whatever but you're obviously missing out on a launcher. Now think of how on point you have to be to land that motion in a split second of noticing the other guy whiffed. And most of the time you have to dash into him first as fast as you can and then immediately land the EWGF. It's definitely not easy. Same thing with sidestepping into the EWGF. Now that's for whiff punishing on defense.

Let's look at applying offense with a character like Feng. You have your mid pokes, your low pokes, your backswing blows for frame traps, etc. It's relatively easy to do. Offense with Devil Jin is wavedashing into your opponent into hell sweeps, Electrics, or cancelling them into iWS moves. Significantly more difficult. And like before you can play DJin similar to Feng but the neutral pokes DJin has are no where near as proficient as Feng's because of the difference in overall toolsets. Hope that answers your question.

HOWEVER, don't let that stop you from playing him. Of coarse you can practice hard and get to that level :)

Yeah, I presume that is catered heavily towards your play style. However, playing Tekken and winning isn't necessarily the same thing IMO. I gave those recommendations to people who want to take in everything and utilize everything the game has to offer. I mean, you could learn King's multithrows and manage to get all the way Berserker rank just with those and spacing but I wouldn't classify that as legitimately playing the game with everything it has to offer. I hope that makes sense...

And BTW One day I shall become the secret boss of GAF!!! /keeps getting demoted

Also, great find GrayFox!

Doomshine

See the end of this post :)

Let's look at Regular Jin for an example: He can 15 frame punish, whiff punish, or sidestep punish you with his d+3+4 launcher or hopkick. With Devil Jin, you have to EWGF the other guy. Of coarse you can do simple punishes like 1,1,2 or b+1,1+2 or whatever but you're obviously missing out on a launcher.

Don't forget that DJ also has d+3+4 at 15 frames. You don't see it used a lot because most people prefer to EWGF, but it's there.

I've been messing around with the decals a bit and came out with some stuff. Nothing special but its the best I could do with my limited creativity. Shitty pics incoming.

Elizabeth from Persona 3
Cp0Ka.jpg

Nemesis Jill
wQ2dY.png

Chie from Persona 4
Y07eU.jpg

Sayah

This is a noob question, but how do I change character's picture when they show up on character's vs. screen?

You have to unlock them via ghost battle. And then you go to customization and select your character panels from there.

Anyways, played pair play matches today and got my nina demoted all the way down to Warrior, lol. Will have to work back up the ranks tomorrow.

You have to unlock them via ghost battle. And then you go to customization and select your character panels from there.

Anyways, played pair play matches today and got my nina demoted all the way down to Warrior, lol. Will have to work back up the ranks tomorrow.

Thanks and good luck.

AAK

Those are some creative customs there.

Bryan/Steve

Might was well learn from the BEST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btlD3JDH4CU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxDyFY9KhAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwcq66K9qpA

If you're gonna use Steve you're definitely gonna have to learn all about the flicker cancels to make the most out of your Tag Assault Launchers. Also kinda makes me wish I knew a top player that used my team to figure out some neat tricks with them.

Don't forget that DJ also has d+3+4 at 15 frames. You don't see it used a lot because most people prefer to EWGF, but it's there.

Wow, you're right. My bad. But the point still stand, to maximize you need to use EWGF.

DEATH™

Seriously guys all this talk to using steve and no one mentions hajime no ippo? You will seriously know every single move steve has and how its used.

FLK jabs
PAB stuff
Dempsey roll
White fang (WS 1,2)
Smash (WS 1+2)
Gazelle punch (DCK 1)
Foot Stomp (db+3, 2)
Weaves and Sways
Kimura overhead (ff+2)
Even Miyata's jolt (FLK b+2)

Seriouly start now...

Pachimari

By the way, why is it that Julia Chang is named JayCee when I have her not wear the mask?

I have also found quite the liking to my old pal Bruce Irvin from Tekken 2.

Onemic

Ya I'll just stick with Feng haha. Especially now that I'm finally learning how to do juggles in this game.

BDC though, are the bane of my existence. Even though i practice them every time I hit the lab I still can't do it properly. :(

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. Having gotten Dragunov and Bryan to Tekken Lord status, and Law and Paul to Fujin, I only just figured out that tapping the tag button while in the middle of a tag assault lets you switch between the fighters and do follow ups. And before they were just standing there like a bunch of dumbasses.

GrayFoxPL

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. Having gotten Dragunov and Bryan to Tekken Lord status, and Law and Paul to Fujin, I only just figured out that tapping the tag button while in the middle of a tag assault lets you switch between the fighters and do follow ups. And before they were just standing there like a bunch of dumbasses.

Characters switch when you go neutral. If you keep tapping direction and commands without pause, second character won't switch back to first.

Hard part is remembering when game switches characters during move animation. Like Jin's 124 juggle filler switches characters just when 4 kick animation starts. Thinking about it Tekken team had to balance out individually every move used in tag combo. This must've been a chore.

Grifter

What's the input on Wang's common low-overhead kick string? Trying to find a way to punish.

How has db+3,2 been nerfed from before?

GrayFoxPL

How has db+3,2 been nerfed from before?

You can't molest opponent with it on wall knockdown etc.

Edit:

Way bigger nerf imo is 412, my T6 favorite ch launcher. When it hits you can call it a day now, because it never happens. When it does it flips opponents on the back not allowing usual T6 combos. It's pos. Still Steve is strong as fuck, I actually felt too strong so I left him for a while to strengthen characters I'm lacking with.

Grifter

I've seen enough Hao vids to know that's 3~4,3.

Feng's easy best TA filler - f,f+4,3
Easy best ender - 3~4,3

You mean his FC df+4,3? That's launch punishable.
Based on distance + his recovery, it doesn't seem easy to launch, I'm out of town to double-check.

Top Bottom