• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

GrayFoxPL

Dragunov is unbelievably good. He's really fun to use but I can't come up with good combos with him. So now I'm using Bryan/Dragunov, so the problem I only have is facing players online. I'm really bad with setting up a combo or a move. Any advice with playing players online?

Double post it is, fuck it.

You gotta train some combos man, there's no two ways about it. Not have to be some bullshit combo video but at least something simple that comes out constantly.

I don't play Drag or Bryan, but from memory what can they do...

Launch with Drag and 1,3,2 shit always hits, then Bryan b+2,4 or whatever and end with Drag ff+4. Should work(I hope).

But seriously if you don't want to read tekken zaibatsu just hit youtube Drag&Bryan and learn. YT is my sensei for years now.

Double post it is, fuck it.

You gotta train some combos man, there's no two ways about it. Not have to be some bullshit combo video but at least something simple that comes out constantly.

I don't play Drag or Bryan, but from memory what can they do...

Launch with Drag and 1,3,2 shit always hits, then Bryan b+2,4 or whatever and end with Drag ff+4. Should work(I hope).

But seriously if you don't want to read tekken zaibatsu just hit youtube Drag&Bryan and learn. YT is my sensei for years now.

I do simple combos, the only problem I have is setting up a combo against players online.

Doomshine

^Don't make the mistake of always looking for that one combo or launcher and forgetting everything else. Just poke, space and punish and you'll find opportunities to land a combo.

Hello guys (and girls (though there are no girls on the internet))

I'm new here, and I wanted to introduce myself as I play Tekken Tag 2 (on Wii U) and would be happy to discuss about the game with you.

I'm still quite bad, but I'm here to listen and exchange in order to get -hopefully- better. I main Raven/Alisa though there are a lot of people I'd like to play more, but I figured I'll focus on them first in order to raise my level.

That's about it, I think.

See you all around.

^Don't make the mistake of always looking for that one combo or launcher and forgetting everything else. Just poke, space and punish and you'll find opportunities to land a combo.

I kind of had a thought of not concentrating on just one combo. I'll do those things you told me. Thanks.

GrayFoxPL

I'm new here, and I wanted to introduce myself as I play Tekken Tag 2 (on Wii U) and would be happy to discuss about the game with you.

I'm still quite bad, but I'm here to listen and exchange in order to get -hopefully- better. I main Raven/Alisa though there are a lot of people I'd like to play more, but I figured I'll focus on them first in order to raise my level.

See you all around.

Welcome! Train hard and don't be afraid to ask questions whatever small or big.

AAK

Thank you.

About training, is it better to do Ghost Battles, Practice mode, or friendly matches on the net? (I currently train on Ghost Battles)

Ghost battle will make you worse. It's good for killing time and getting unlockable outfits. Maybe it has a use for practicing combo's in a match, but in the end, I feel that you learn more about how to abuse the AI in ghost battle mode than actually learn Tekken. When you fight a legitimate human being, the game flows drastically differently.

Go into practice mode, learn some core moves and simple juggles to get the hang of the game. Then go online and test what you know.

If you lose, go into the replay data and watch the match you lost in. Notice what moves your opponent used on you to win.

Go back into practice mode and learn how to beat that. Boom, your knowledge increased and you've levelled up. Rinse and repeat until you become a Tekken God ;)

Your execution will automatically improve with as many games you play, but the key thing is to always find out what you're doing wrong and fix it. That's the key. Don't let the bad habits consume you.

Sayah

See you all around.

Welcome. :)

Alisa can be a lot of fun to play with. From distances, you can always take opponents by surprise with Alisa's up/forward + B, then X.

You can try this simple combo with Alisa and see how well you do.

1. First press, down/forward + X to do her launcher.
2. Then press down/forward + Y, Y.
3. Then back+A then B.
4. Then forward, forward + B, then A, then A.

There's so much you can do and the possibilities are almost never-ending. You're always learning and adapting in Tekken.

Also what AAK said.

GrayFoxPL

Ok I gotta vent.

I just read this thing that Tekken Tunes are causing lag and weird shit. What the hell?

I never felt anything, I love my custom songs but now I'll be subconsciously looking for lag and other faults. I'm in minority but aside of 2-3 songs I think ttt2 ost sucks. "Music" on fishboat or Brasil especially is a puke inducting abomination. Sorry.

This just depressed me. Tomorrow I'll waste hours online testing Tunes on and off losing matches because instead on focusing on match I'll be looking for a damn lag difference. FUUUCK!

Do you guys experience more lag with own Tunes?

No lag for me. Only thing is my character select them takes a few seconds to start up the first time when playing. After that though it starts up right on cue.

And so the trolls are already at it again in the evo 2013 game announcement thread complaining about 8 hour grand finals and other bs.

Thanks for the tips. I'll move to friendly matches then + replay&practice. I still don't feel ready for ranked, though I guessd I would end up against beginners too?

For Alisa -if I understood the conventions well- I usually try to place b+3+4, 3 then push the opponent with a dash. Like this I can get enough time to put my chainsaws out.
I love her chainsaws because they look so badass, but they feel a little slow. Are they any good?

Sayah

I don't think I get any lag with the tunes enabled.

And damn GrayFox, TTT2 soundtrack is my second favorite from the series after Tekken 5. lol

Sayah

Thanks for the tips. I'll move to friendly matches then + replay&practice. I still don't feel ready for ranked, though I guessd I would end up against beginners too?

For Alisa -if I understood the conventions well- I usually try to place b+3+4, 3 then push the opponent with a dash. Like this I can get enough time to put my chainsaws out.
I love her chainsaws because they look so badass, but they feel a little slow. Are they any good?

Chainsaws can be very useful if the opponent doesn't know what they're doing, haha. Certain moves of hers also lead to her pulling out the chainsaws. d/f+1,1,2 for instance.

GrayFoxPL

Don't go online until you get good feeling of a character. People say fighting cpu is no good but I'll say it's a good warm up. Set it to very hard and play with a mind of using as many tools as possible. Just to remember what you have and what you can do. Memory going blank during a fight with a human is a common quirk so I can't stress enough how important is training memory to keep remembering the arsenal you have at your disposal.

In player matches you'll find beginners and pros alike, they are all going serious no matter what. You are right that fighting ranked at first you'll get beginners like you. Just set it to 2+, 3+.
I'm almost 100% sure they patched the crazy thing where player with second high ranked character and first low ranked would get matched with beginner. Didn't happen to me since last patch.

Oh yes chainsaws suck, but everyone using them anyway so fire away. ;)

I don't think I get any lag with the tunes enabled.

And damn GrayFox, TTT2 soundtrack is my second favorite from the series after Tekken 5. lol

Thanks for lag info.

T5 ost is great. No doubt. But you seriously find any music in that "one sample repeat 1000 times" headache on Boat or Brasil?

Even if there is any lag caused by it, it's IMO relatively small.

Hmm. Maybe it's something to do with hardrives? Or music track size file ? HD chugs on big raw files for music some ppl have? I swapped hard drive in ps3 some time ago and don't see problems in tag2.
Hmm.

DEATH™

No lag for me. Only thing is my character select them takes a few seconds to start up the first time when playing. After that though it starts up right on cue.

And so the trolls are already at it again in the evo 2013 game announcement thread complaining about 8 hour grand finals and other bs.

What trolls? I'm not keeping up on the news

Sayah

Thanks for lag info.

T5 ost is great. No doubt. But you seriously find any music in that "one sample repeat 1000 times" headache on Boat or Brasil?

Hmm. Maybe it's something to do with hardrives? Or music track size file ? HD chugs on big raw files for music some ppl have? I swapped hard drive in ps3 some time ago and don't see problems in tag2.
Hmm.

Yeah, the boat, brasil and even the remixes for Arena and school are repetitive. I consider those tracks anywhere from okay to good to great. But the real charm tracks for me in Tag 2 are Abyss of Time, Plucking Tulips, Battle Cry, Your Sunset, Fallen Garden and others.

Not really trolls but when TTT2 was announced for evo2k13 in came the complaints about super long finals and sarcastic comments about tekken not being fun to watch cause people dont understand the game. Not really a big deal, Im just being a sucker.

Here's the lineup announcement thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507437

I didn't even bother to read through the thread. People that hate Tekken, more often than not, are the ones that played the series for half to one hour, got their ass handed to them and then had nothing better to do than whine on internet forums about the game. Nothing new or out of the ordinary.

I am more interested in psychology and mind games when I spectate. The baiting, the punishing, the setups, the tension, pressure and stress. And Tekken high-level play delivers excellently on that front.

Chainsaws can be very useful if the opponent doesn't know what they're doing, haha. Certain moves of hers also lead to her pulling out the chainsaws. d/f+1,1,2 for instance.

Destroy form (chainsaws) is pretty devastating if used sparingly. The frames on certain moves out of it are very deceiving. Blocked DES f+1+2 looks horrible but it leaves you at +3 I believe. Also saws at a wall leads to Alisa's most devastating combos. DES 2, W! f+2, f+2, uf+1+2~5 B!... is amazing. And when you're done with them the wall mix up is pretty sick.

On another note who else here is planning to attend Evo. It's a long way away but I'm still hype.

Sayah

DEATH™;46225093 said:
Sayah, I wish you joined Art's Iron Fist League... that's a free trip to Final Round for you...

Wish I could.

Destroy form (chainsaws) is pretty devastating if used sparingly. The frames on certain moves out of it are very deceiving. Blocked DES f+1+2 looks horrible but it leaves you at +3 I believe. Also saws at a wall leads to Alisa's most devastating combos. DES 2, W! f+2, f+2, uf+1+2~5 B!... is amazing. And when you're done with them the wall mix up is pretty sick.

On another note who else here is planning to attend Evo. It's a long way away but I'm still hype.

Also wish I could but can't.

Thank you for the advice.

Now I will "just" have to try everything. I'll tell you about my results.

GrayFoxPL

I don't know. I turned off Tunes and suddenly got 8 win streak. Probably placebo effect.
If there is a lag difference it's minimal, but I noticed I didn't get any slomo on low bars, so maybe it works for that?

I'll stay with original soundtrack for a while, I already forgot some of the tracks, they're not bad... No no no, too early for a crow crunching. ;)

If you lose, go into the replay data and watch the match you lost in. Notice what moves your opponent used on you to win.

Go back into practice mode and learn how to beat that. Boom, your knowledge increased and you've levelled up. Rinse and repeat until you become a Tekken God ;)

I've been triying that a little yesterday, but something is bothering me: can you see players' inputs in replay mode? I couldn't see them. I tried to look into the options but I have a japanese game so I might have missed it.

I mean: how can you find which combo the opponent is using if you can't see his inputs?

Pachimari

I'm lucky cuz I just asked my friends who stream what I needed.

This is my setup:

Streaming Computer
Alienware X51
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64-bit

Capture Device
Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle - USB 3.0 Version
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

The software I'm using to stream/broadcast is Xsplit Version 1.1 (XSplit: Core v1.1.1210.3101) and I'm using Twitch.TV to broadcast it.

With the above things I'm able to stream/capture signal from my consoles (via use of the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle). For Xbox 360 you can stream straight up using HDMI, however it only supports 720p/59.94 resolution.

For PlayStation 3, you need a signal converter/pass through such as the HDFury2 or HDFury3, or a DV-I/optical cable conversion from the HDMI signal. This is due to the HDCP settings of the PS3.

This is the same setup that Level|Up and many other streamers use for streaming events/games.

If there are any questions, let me know.
Thanks Mark.

I actually looked into Twitch and XSplit but it didn't support Mac OS and I don't have a camera connected to my Windows 8 desktop anyway. I realize I don't have the hardware to stream, oh well. :)

AAK

I've been triying that a little yesterday, but something is bothering me: can you see players' inputs in replay mode? I couldn't see them. I tried to look into the options but I have a japanese game so I might have missed it.

I mean: how can you find which combo the opponent is using if you can't see his inputs?

Damn, LOL, I never thought of it that way. I've been playing this series for so long that I almost recognize any move and it's input when I see it.

BUT, the beauty of Tekken's input system is that you can look at the move and the limb it corresponds to. The 1 button their left hand, 2 button for their right hand, 3 button for their left foot, and 4 button for their right foot. Based on that, you can predict the move that comes out. However, I agree that a menu to show the inputs should have been there.

Damn, LOL, I never thought of it that way. I've been playing this series for so long that I almost recognize any move and it's input when I see it.

BUT, the beauty of Tekken's input system is that you can look at the move and the limb it corresponds to. The 1 button their left hand, 2 button for their right hand, 3 button for their left foot, and 4 button for their right foot. Based on that, you can predict the move that comes out. However, I agree that a menu to show the inputs should have been there.

That's what I feared. I guess I will just have to spend more time than I thought on it then.

In fact my last Tekken game was Tekken 4, so I don't know most of the people. And even at that time, I was just buton mashing and hoping for some cool move to trigger itself so I won't recognise the move immediatly... Now I feel like I wasted my youth T.T

Pachimari

I'm really concerned that I'm loosing to my girlfriend. Especially when she does the same move but then it's my mistake that I'm not addressing that move evades it. What surprised me is, that she broke all of my grabs. =/

I'm gonna keep practicing. I'm getting better at movement and get-ups. I just need to find a god Tag Assault and filler with Forest Law and Bruce Irvin.

Anyway, Tekken Tag 2 is seriously one of the best games of this generation. It's funny, when having visit, instead of bringing on Dance Central or Wii Sports; we start up Tekken instead.

Anyway, Tekken Tag 2 is seriously one of the best games of this generation. It's funny, when having visit, instead of bringing on Dance Central or Wii Sports; we start up Tekken instead.

I played my friend in TTT2 for the first time a couple weeks ago and he never wants to play me again. :(

Pachimari

I played my friend in TTT2 for the first time a couple weeks ago and he never wants to play me again. :(
Pair Play! :)

But yeah it sucks when somebody loses to me in Tekken or Fifa and then they only want to play on the same team as me hehe. But that's many years ago.

My brother loved Tekken until I started practicing. Now he won't touch it. :(

This game is pretty amazing at parties though. I was butt sliding everyone to death as Dr. B and the whole room was in hysterics.

Ghost battle will make you worse. It's good for killing time and getting unlockable outfits. Maybe it has a use for practicing combo's in a match, but in the end, I feel that you learn more about how to abuse the AI in ghost battle mode than actually learn Tekken. When you fight a legitimate human being, the game flows drastically differently.

I've recently got back into TTT2 (from taking a break) and have been playing ghost battles for the Tekken Lord trophy. While I have improved with Nina and Anna I can agree that it makes you worst. I feel like I've grown bad habits from playing cpu (in ghost battles). For example, I will throw Nina's (and Anna's) d+3,2 all day and the cpu will block it half of the time. I will get punished against a player online with that habit. But I'm done with ghost battles so I'm hoping I can find new mix ups and combos with my team.

I've recently got back into TTT2 (from taking a break) and have been playing ghost battles for the Tekken Lord trophy. While I have improved with Nina and Anna I can agree that it makes you worst. I feel like I've grown bad habits from playing cpu (in ghost battles). For example, I will throw Nina's (and Anna's) d+3,2 all day and the cpu will block it half of the time. I will get punished against a player online with that habit. But I'm done with ghost battles so I'm hoping I can find new mix ups and combos with my team.

I think I will do Ghost battle with characters I don't care about.

I still want to unlock customize stuff for my mains. If I get bad habits with characters I don't intend to use in the first place, it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Getting back into playing TTT2. A tad rusty, but I'm getting back there I hope. I'm playing er....different now. I am using Anna first instead of Nina. Not sure if I am more formidable that way or not, but I am just experimenting to see if my results are better. Would of entered the tournament, but since I finally got a new Dual Shock 3 controller I am trying to loosen it some obviously due to the fact that it is still stiff and I am trying to work on my execution and movement on it. Also I wasn't sure what my schedule for January would be. The tournament looks well organized and appears to have a lot of skilled players participating from what I've seen.

mr_boo

I think I will do Ghost battle with characters I don't care about.

I still want to unlock customize stuff for my mains. If I get bad habits with characters I don't intend to use in the first place, it shouldn't be too bad, right?
You can always just Player Match online (it's non-rank)...it's a more brutal road, but at least you find a taste of what's really out there in the wild (though, I'm not sure what the player base is like on WII). Just take you lumps lightly and don't be so hard on yourself since you're picking up the game.

One suggestion that I have, which I haven't done yet for myself due to personal life busy stuff: after picking your two characters to learn, figure out which moves are effective (lows, frame plus, punishers, etc) and which juggles you want to pull off, and then write it down on a piece of paper (cheat sheet) so you don't forget. My memory is very bad, and so when I switch characters or if I take a break, I often times forget which moves are effective or which juggles I've used before in the past. Tekken is a very rich game and there's just too many moves to remember.

And this is another pretty good reason to play online (or at least watch other player matches)...when you run into other players that use the same character you can see and learn about which moves they use and when (under what circumstances).

Sora_N

Go into practice mode, learn some core moves and simple juggles to get the hang of the game. Then go online and test what you know.

Your execution will automatically improve with as many games you play, but the key thing is to always find out what you're doing wrong and fix it. That's the key. Don't let the bad habits consume you.

Thanks, I'm newish too. I wanted to find a main but couldn't decide on one. I had some success with Michelle so I've been using her. I used to play Hwoarang but I don't feel him that much right now.

I kept getting creamed by this dude online over and over last week, was kind of annoyed.

GrayFoxPL

You can always just Player Match online (it's non-rank)...it's a more brutal road, but at least you find a taste of what's really out there in the wild (though, I'm not sure what the player base is like on WII). Just take you lumps lightly and don't be so hard on yourself since you're picking up the game.

One suggestion that I have, which I haven't done yet for myself due to personal life busy stuff: after picking your two characters to learn, figure out which moves are effective (lows, frame plus, punishers, etc) and which juggles you want to pull off, and then write it down on a piece of paper (cheat sheet) so you don't forget. My memory is very bad, and so when I switch characters or if I take a break, I often times forget which moves are effective or which juggles I've used before in the past. Tekken is a very rich game and there's just too many moves to remember.

And this is another pretty good reason to play online (or at least watch other player matches)...when you run into other players that use the same character you can see and learn about which moves they use and when (under what circumstances).

This. I'm the same.

I noticed the netcode has some kind of rollback. Couple of times when doing Jins f4~f4 online I saw for 1-2 frames the move damage on opponent's life bar then it reverted to solid because the move was blocked. It's like for 1-2 frames game assumed it would hit but when it was actually blocked it's like: "NOPE!" lol.

Thankfully I only saw health bar rollback and not gameplay rollback clusterfuck like in Third Strike HD.

Sayah

Wow, I noticed every single one of them. They better return the favor one day :p

Also, Sayah my brother, it's one more day until Apex! Are you ready? We can get some matches later tonight just for some last minute games if you'd like?

I get mad nervous and shaky in big crowds. I hope I'll do well but not so sure about that. haha
Yeah, don't know if I'll be online but if I am, let's do some games.

AAK

I get mad nervous and shaky in big crowds. I hope I'll do well but not so sure about that. haha
Yeah, don't know if I'll be online but if I am, let's do some games.

Some advice, go early and get some practice games on the set ups stations where they'll be playing Tekken. Get used to the atmosphere, it definitely helps. And don't worry, once the tournament starts, you'll get your confidence up when you beat the first few jobbers ;)

Top Bottom