• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Thanks.

Sayah, murder those fools.

(FBI dudes, I mean beat them in a game).

hahahaha
Some advice, go early and get some practice games on the set ups stations where they'll be playing Tekken. Get used to the atmosphere, it definitely helps. And don't worry, once the tournament starts, you'll get your confidence up when you beat the first few jobbers ;)

Thanks man.

I think I will do Ghost battle with characters I don't care about.

I still want to unlock customize stuff for my mains. If I get bad habits with characters I don't intend to use in the first place, it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Yup. Actually, the main benefit I got from ghost battles is defending against characters moves. Like you, the last tekken I played was 4 (I think that was you, right?), I played serious with some characters in T3 and T4 got into for a short period. T6 I played very little (a month), mainly just learning nina. So fighting against all the characters were new to me. So I wouldn't worry about getting worst with your main team.

Degen

Finally found a team that feels right, and they even get that rage mode bonus

guess it's time to quit trying to half-learn ten characters and just keep a couple (Ogre and... dunno) on the side

Sayah

guess it's time to quit trying to half-learn ten characters and just keep a couple (Ogre and... dunno) on the side

One of ogre's attacks is really good as a counter hit. Can't remember the input but you can combo off of it on CH.

Hellix

It is good learning other characters, since I think it is a good way to learn their strong points and how to defend against them. I try to learn other characters but I tend to forget how to use them once I go back to my mains.

Shouta

Leo and Miguel have been working for me like it was a few months ago but I definitely want to learn Kuma and Bob as well, i think. If only because I'd like to use Kuma and Bob in SFxT as well for laughs and consistency, lol.

Defense is still hard though. >=(

DEATH™

Ggs to boutdown. Your laws are good.

And giancarlo, thank you for the butt whooing at the tourney, now im learning to low parry and do wke up attacks

Dereck

Its all good DEATH, I noticed that you started to pick on Miguel so I had to start doing mixups quick. Also, I need to practice breaking King's Giant Swing Throws.

The b1,2,1 All I have to do is do b1,2 which is a lot harder to punish. Better off hit confirming b,1,2 before doing b,1,2,1.

DEATH™

Its all good DEATH, I noticed that you started to pick on Miguel so I had to start doing mixups quick. Also, I need to practice breaking King's Giant Swing Throws.

The b1,2,1 All I have to do is do b1,2 which is a lot harder to punish. Better off hit confirming b,1,2 before doing b,1,2,1.

TBH I went to 2P as my default because I have problems doing GS and iSW on 2P. Gotta get better before school starts. I also need more experience against oher chars like bruce, lars, bryan etc... So I appreciate if you play them against me hehehe...

And yeah my reaction time is too slow... cant block slow lows on reaction and cant throwbreak fast enough despite pressing the right button... gotta do more mental training...

PS yeah hit confirm b12 first...

Dereck

I'll play with Bryan more, I finally got those qcf attacks down really good.

I like to think that Law's back turn mixups are a bit cheap, I used them a lot, but they work.

That launch you did right inbetween Miguel's ff2,2 was amazing.

DEATH™

I'll play with Bryan more, I finally got those qcf attacks down really good.

I like to think that Law's back turn mixups are a bit cheap, I used them a lot, but they work.

That launch you did right inbetween Miguel's ff2,2 was amazing.

Thanks TBH i wish i can do that against sayah... her rushdown style is too hard to punish... Takes me out of my rhythm too... I think I got demotions after playing him and i felt i want to quit tekken... hehehe

DEATH™

It's been awhile, I really do think that I would not be able to touch anyone in this thread now.

Dont worry, it gets better... There are just many times I felt like Im not good enough... If I were younger i would quit, but then bad times help me handle things better... It helps me handle frustrations... It would be the same to all of us...

Thats a part of why I love this game. Its not just a feel-good game like other Fighting Games out there...

Gambit

Got my mail from amazon.uk, apparently my delivery is supposed to happen on the 17th.

In other words, I'll soon join you people. (as in U people)

BTW: Haven't played Tekken since Tekken Tag 1. No doubt, I'll be an easy opponent.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone have the Madcatz Tekken Wii U fighting stick in here? I'm thinking about picking 2 up for VC games + Tekken + Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Are they worth it at all, and is the button placement correct for most Neo Geo VC games?

Sayah is in a local tournament? Nice. :) I wish you the best. I'm sure you will obliterate them. Man, you got INSANE skills. I seem to get nervous in front of a crowd also, but just try to shut everything out and concentrate. Maybe try to play some early practice matches there before it starts and that should hopefully help you with the unfamiliar atmosphere.

I got a question for any Anna/Nina players. I rarely see this combo online, but I was experimenting and it actually connected. When I do a tag team combo with Nina and I connect the tag combo with her leg slicer and bring Anna in, I try to input Anna's df + 3, 2, 1, 2 kick to double elbow combo and when Nina tries to finish up the combo, Anna ends up staying in and Nina leaves. This is sort of hard to explain, but do you know if I can execute that or any other Anna combos with df +3, 2 without Nina and Anna exchanging places? I think maybe I am holding down df too long or something. I am trying to expand here. Learning new combos to freshen things up some.

DEATH™

You guys should check out the latest Wednesday Night Fights if you haven't, some crazy hype matches.

Actually Im kinda pissed on that time before, WNF loves to make us wait till 1am just for top 4 when they promised showing some more matches. I wouldnt care if they didnt say they would show more matches.

I really want them to make a second stream. They did that to VF. AE stream monsters can have their own game on their own stream and not rip other games...

BTW good luck sayah!!!

Doomshine

DEATH™;46325595 said:
Actually Im kinda pissed on that time before, WNF loves to make us wait till 1am just for top 4 when they promised showing some more matches. I wouldnt care if they didnt say they would show more matches.

I really want them to make a second stream. They did that to VF. AE stream monsters can have their own game on their own stream and not rip other games...

BTW good luck sayah!!!

Well, the second stream was pretty much run by VF dudes, they just did it under the WNF name.

Sayah

Sayah is in a local tournament? Nice. :) I wish you the best. I'm sure you will obliterate them. Man, you got INSANE skills. I seem to get nervous in front of a crowd also, but just try to shut everything out and concentrate. Maybe try to play some early practice matches there before it starts and that should hopefully help you with the unfamiliar atmosphere.

I got a question for any Anna/Nina players. I rarely see this combo online, but I was experimenting and it actually connected. When I do a tag team combo with Nina and I connect the tag combo with her leg slicer and bring Anna in, I try to input Anna's df + 3, 2, 1, 2 kick to double elbow combo and when Nina tries to finish up the combo, Anna ends up staying in and Nina leaves. This is sort of hard to explain, but do you know if I can execute that or any other Anna combos with df +3, 2 without Nina and Anna exchanging places? I think maybe I am holding down df too long or something. I am trying to expand here. Learning new combos to freshen things up some.
Thanks. Hoping I'll do well and not get destroyed but not so sure about that right now. haha

And I will test that Nina/Anna thing out and let you know.

DEATH™;46309757 said:
Thanks TBH i wish i can do that against sayah... her rushdown style is too hard to punish... Takes me out of my rhythm too... I think I got demotions after playing him and i felt i want to quit tekken... hehehe

Damn, sorry. D:

Does anyone have the Madcatz Tekken Wii U fighting stick in here? I'm thinking about picking 2 up for VC games + Tekken + Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Are they worth it at all, and is the button placement correct for most Neo Geo VC games?

Tekken is played well on pad too. If you prefer fight sticks, then go with that but I think the pad should be fine too.

DEATH™;46301757 said:
http://blightgaming.com/2013/01/06/how-to-truly-become-a-champion-by-kor/

A really good article by Kor... Cleared everything alot...

Pretty amazing article. Although, I do spend a lot of time in practice................

Sayah

DEATH™;46346380 said:
Double posting to say good luck to sayah!

Go to EVO after this...

Thanks. I did okay. Somehow made it to losers top 8 so I'll hopefully try to be there tomorrow.
I was dropping combos like crazy, though. Definitely not suited for tournament atmosphere. Way too noisy and way too crowded for me. Makes me anxious and I get headaches. There was also no audio on any of the Tekken machines which sucked. Sorry about the whining but too many distractions in the way.

On the upside, I did casual matches with KOR. The guy has crazy good sidestepping. Then faced fab and lost my 1st match. Then won all my other matches in losers bracket. Will try my best tomorrow but don't think I'll get very far, haha.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks. I did okay. Somehow made it to losers top 8 so I'll hopefully try to be there tomorrow.
I was dropping combos like crazy, though. Definitely not suited for tournament atmosphere. Way too noisy and way too crowded for me. Makes me anxious and I get headaches. There was also no audio on any of the Tekken machines which sucked. Sorry about the whining but too many distractions in the way.

On the upside, I did casual matches with KOR. The guy has crazy good sidestepping. Then faced fab and lost my 1st match. Then won all my other matches in losers bracket. Will try my best tomorrow but don't think I'll get very far, haha.

Good job, sucks about the environment.

We were so pissed that they didn't show any Tekken on stream.

Calm your nerves and fuck them up tomorrow. Gaf is behind you.

Sayah

Good job, sucks about the environment.

We were so pissed that they didn't show any Tekken on stream.

Calm your nerves and fuck them up tomorrow. Gaf is behind you.

Thanks man.

There will be a Tekken stream tomorrow. It's on main stage so probably on the 8wayrun channel. Not sure why they didn't have one today.

AAK

Damnnnn! You got top 8 at your first offline tournament that was also a major! that's amazing!

JEALOUSY! ! You got to fight KOR! I need to know more details. how did your match with fab pan out? how many matches or rounds did you get off him? also how many entrants were there in total for Tekken? any other notable names you fought or gave you a hard time? And good job again getting top 8! I'll be cheering for you like crazy from my apartment :p.

Hope you got to chill with other local players too and exchange information. That's probably my favorite part of travelling for Tekken aside from loving the game itself. it's so much fun to hang out with people having the same passion as you.

I'm so happy you made it this far bro :)

PopInnovation

Neo Member

That's really awesome - congrats dude! To be honest I would have complained about the no sound, I still use sound for particular timing prompts. While not REALLY important, not having it there would have been a huge distraction as it'd be harder to focus.

Don't worry about the background noise at tournaments, you get used to it. I remember when I first started going to tourneys in Sydney it was a big put off, especially since this was when I first started playing Tekken and was unknown (so the cheers generally steered the other way). As I started to build rapport in the scene I got a lot more comfortable, especially since I could tell anyone calling one of my wins an upset to piss off lol.

Now in Korea I'm kind of having the same problem again, hadn't had tournament shakes for years until I got here.

Back in Sydney a couple of the guys used to wear headphones while they played, maybe that can help. Personally I find it more of a distraction (since as I mentioned the game sound is fairly important to me) but it might work for you.

DEATH™

Thanks man.

There will be a Tekken stream tomorrow. It's on main stage so probably on the 8wayrun channel. Not sure why they didn't have one today.

I think the other stream owner was powertripping I heard... I heard too that they showed marvel casuals instead...

TBH I'm kinda pissed too that the game is always getting left on streams... and this isn't the only case... I guess people prefer more Marvel players drama than seeing a "nobody" body people...

Just a tip, be careful and learn when to stop attacking against these people. Nina and Anna have a weaker-than-usual tracking and they are willing to eat your chip-damage homing moves if that means they can launch you and swat you like an annoying fly. You don't really have to block-punish/learn your frames, just keep them guessing like you always do...

That's really awesome - congrats dude! To be honest I would have complained about the no sound, I still use sound for particular timing prompts. While not REALLY important, not having it there would have been a huge distraction as it'd be harder to focus.

Don't worry about the background noise at tournaments, you get used to it. I remember when I first started going to tourneys in Sydney it was a big put off, especially since this was when I first started playing Tekken and was unknown (so the cheers generally steered the other way). As I started to build rapport in the scene I got a lot more comfortable, especially since I could tell anyone calling one of my wins an upset to piss off lol.

Now in Korea I'm kind of having the same problem again, hadn't had tournament shakes for years until I got here.

Back in Sydney a couple of the guys used to wear headphones while they played, maybe that can help. Personally I find it more of a distraction (since as I mentioned the game sound is fairly important to me) but it might work for you.

Are you Gypsy?

Sayah

DEATH™;46383056 said:
I think the other stream owner was powertripping I heard... I heard too that they showed marvel casuals instead...

TBH I'm kinda pissed too that the game is always getting left on streams... and this isn't the only case... I guess people prefer more Marvel players drama than seeing a "nobody" body people...

The marvel side was right across the Tekken side. Marvel people are......something. It's like you can't have a high-level match in that game without people going "ohhhhhhhhh snaaaap,,, yoooooo, auuuuuugh." etc. Literally remember myself playing a tourney match and losing focus b/c this guy had this exact loud reaction.

But I do love Marvel. Team formations allow for a lot of creativity. Game just needs a balance update, though.

Just a tip, be careful and learn when to stop attacking against these people. Nina and Anna have a weaker-than-usual tracking and they are willing to eat your chip-damage homing moves if that means they can launch you and swat you like an annoying fly. You don't really have to block-punish/learn your frames, just keep them guessing like you always do...

That's the one thing that really felt off. All my Nina/Anna high-mid-low mixups weren't working as I expected them to. Probably was too nervous.

Thanks a lot for the tips. :)

I will try to see if I can bring headphones.

Damnnnn! You got top 8 at your first offline tournament that was also a major! that's amazing!

JEALOUSY! ! You got to fight KOR! I need to know more details. how did your match with fab pan out? how many matches or rounds did you get off him? also how many entrants were there in total for Tekken? any other notable names you fought or gave you a hard time? And good job again getting top 8! I'll be cheering for you like crazy from my apartment :p.

Hope you got to chill with other local players too and exchange information. That's probably my favorite part of travelling for Tekken aside from loving the game itself. it's so much fun to hang out with people having the same passion as you.

I'm so happy you made it this far bro :)

With KOR, I faced his Bob/Slim Bob, Jack/Heihachi and Ganryu/somebody else teams. Pretty fun matches all around. But I definitely learned to stick with Nina/Anna and not pick any secondary characters, haha. Fab had a Miguel/Bob team. In the first match, I got my ass kicked. I think I won one round. But then I started to pick up on his strategy and got two rounds in the second match but still lost, lol.

I'm not really that familiar with prominent Tekken players, though. KOR/fab were the only two names I recognized/heard of before.

And yeah, all the local players were cool. Also saw this guy practicing Tekken probably for the first time. Tried to help him out too with basics. Just looking at him play, I could tell how overwhelming Tekken could be for newcomers.

DEATH™

The marvel side was right across the Tekken side. Marvel people are......something. It's like you can't have a high-level match in that game without people going "ohhhhhhhhh snaaaap,,, yoooooo, auuuuuugh." etc. Literally remember myself playing a tourney match and losing focus b/c this guy had this exact loud reaction.

But I do love Marvel. Team formations allow for a lot of creativity. Game just needs a balance update, though.

That's the one thing that really felt off. All my Nina/Anna high-mid-low mixups weren't working as I expected them to. Probably was too nervous.

Thanks a lot for the tips. :)

I will try to see if I can bring headphones.

With KOR, I faced his Bob/Slim Bob, Jack/Heihachi and Ganryu/somebody else teams. Pretty fun matches all around. But I definitely learned to stick with Nina/Anna and not pick any secondary characters, haha. Fab had a Miguel/Bob team. In the first match, I got my ass kicked. I think I won one round. But then I started to pick up on his strategy and got two rounds in the second match but still lost, lol.

I'm not really that familiar with prominent Tekken players, though. KOR/fab were the only two names I recognized/heard of before.

And yeah, all the local players were cool. Also saw this guy practicing Tekken probably for the first time. Tried to help him out too with basics. Just looking at him play, I could tell how overwhelming Tekken could be for newcomers.

That's what I'm trying to say back then why Marvel is too scrubby as of right now. Creativity sounds good on low-mid levels but when you go from higher levels of the game, you're gonna stick to what is the most practical tech you can get (and because of imbalance, the game made alot of chars obsolete, and yes, I love lei–lei). The so-called quick decision making requirement is overrated (considering we do the same things in just as fast in Tekken). The game is plagued by the same things that plagued Tekken 6, that it became the game of "who hits their broken stuff first wins". I can see a possibility that a optimized keepaway team will be discovered sooner or later. I think too that because of the general design of the game, it's kinda impossible to get the right balance that will make everyone legit that won't make the game more broken than right now (translation: a patch won't fix everything). But hey... I didn't win any tourneys so I have no right to say anything right now.

And I wish I can see your matches beforehand... I don't think it's nervousness...

P.S. yeah the game is intimidating to learn, but that's the point... Just hearing Harada on bunch of interviews, I think the game is designed to teach life lessons in mind. You work hard to be good at something, you learn from your mistakes, and be smart about everything.

The game doesn't need to be easy, the players need motivation, and that's our job as the community to give that... We gotta show them why we love this game...

GrayFoxPL

Sayah

Thanks for links. Sayah had 2 matches today right?

Excellent work there. When on Polish, Sayah got the ball rolling with wall combos it was scary.

Managing to fuck up KOR, Man! - He was mindblown it was clear. Now you don't have to prove anything.

PS. Drop Anna, she's a dead weight. ;P
He made a heavy sigh each time the b+1 connected, haha.

And I could have been doing a lot better with Anna. Her WS 3 connected so many times. I would think I'd hit the back button to go into judgment stance right after that but it usually never happened. Don't know why.

Aside from dropping combos, I don't think I did a single grab which is unusual for me.
Footage of the man who got top 5 in a major tournament that also happened to be his first:

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/356662018/?t=35m
http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/356680234
I probably wouldn't have gone to this tourney either but you and death pushed enough.
Really impressed by KOR's play. Dude went on a rampage and destroyed everything in his path.

DEATH™;46384206 said:
That's what I'm trying to say back then why Marvel is too scrubby as of right now. Creativity sounds good on low-mid levels but when you go from higher levels of the game, you're gonna stick to what is the most practical tech you can get (and because of imbalance, the game made alot of chars obsolete, and yes, I love lei–lei). The so-called quick decision making requirement is overrated (considering we do the same things in just as fast in Tekken). The game is plagued by the same things that plagued Tekken 6, that it became the game of "who hits their broken stuff first wins". I can see a possibility that a optimized keepaway team will be discovered sooner or later. I think too that because of the general design of the game, it's kinda impossible to get the right balance that will make everyone legit that won't make the game more broken than right now (translation: a patch won't fix everything). But hey... I didn't win any tourneys so I have no right to say anything right now.

And I wish I can see your matches beforehand... I don't think it's nervousness...

P.S. yeah the game is intimidating to learn, but that's the point... Just hearing Harada on bunch of interviews, I think the game is designed to teach life lessons in mind. You work hard to be good at something, you learn from your mistakes, and be smart about everything.

The game doesn't need to be easy, the players need motivation, and that's our job as the community to give that... We gotta show them why we love this game...

It's partly nervousness and partly the fact that I am too used to shoulder buttons. But I had practiced a lot w/out shoulder buttons at home and all the combos were coming out flawlessly. I guess it could be a variety of things.

And right on with the bold.

AAK

Man, once again great job this weekend! Look at your claim to fame after post 892:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=507851&page=9

But I'm sure you learned a lot. You must have realized a bunch of unsafe stuff from your game and how you can improve on it. btw did you play anymore matches after the tournament? Any more discussions with the other top players? you have to have seen KOR’s expression when you got that first game off him. It was absolute despair!

Congratulations Sayah for making it to the top 5. That's definitely an accomplishment. Great match and you played really well. You are doing all of that on a controller? Very, very impressive. Man, I still got work to do with my Anna/Nina team.

Sayah

Man, once again great job this weekend! Look at your claim to fame after post 892:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=507851&page=9

But I'm sure you learned a lot. You must have realized a bunch of unsafe stuff from your game and how you can improve on it. btw did you play anymore matches after the tournament? Any more discussions with the other top players? you have to have seen KOR’s expression when you got that first game off him. It was absolute despair!

Yeah, I've realized a lot of things I have to work on now. I had to leave after the Tekken finals unfortunately so didn't get to play any more Tekken.

Also saw that thread. Have to thank everyone for the support.

Good shit Sayah on placing 5th. How the hell did the game take 2nd though lol. Anyone know how many entrants there were for Tekken at Apex?

Congratulations Sayah for making it to the top 5. That's definitely an accomplishment. Great match and you played really well. You are doing all of that on a controller? Very, very impressive. Man, I still got work to do with my Anna/Nina team.

Sayah why are you so godlike

And these people too. :p

Edit: Also not sure how many entrants there were. There is a list online but I think a lot of people registered at the tournament location on the day of the tournament so I'm not sure of the exact number.

AAK

I think I heard on stream that there were round 200 entrants for Tekken. Good stuff again!

I think I'm in the mood to play some Tekken right now.

Hellix

Nice job Sayah. I don't get the jab on the commentators calling you an online player. Well, I don't get the discrimination between online/offline players in general. Sure offline play is different, but its still the same game and people should know how to defend any type of player.

Sorry I was busy earlier to put the stream up, but I am assuming no one planned any matches tonight.

AAK

How did TEKKEN get 200? Wasn't there only 100 something for AE/Marvel?

I saw someone ask during the stream about numbers, and Jaxel replied with 213 or some number around that range. Maybe he was referring to something else, I could be wrong then.

Top Bottom