• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Nice job Sayah. I don't get the jab on the commentators calling you an online player. Well, I don't get the discrimination between online/offline players in general. Sure offline play is different, but its still the same game and people should know how to defend any type of player.

Sorry I was busy earlier to put the stream up, but I am assuming no one planned any matches tonight.

I watched the archives. Such sloppy play on my part. lol
I am both offline/online player, though.

And no prob with the stream. No one planned any matches so there would be no point in having one anyway. Thanks for checking.

I saw someone ask during the stream about numbers, and Jaxel replied with 213 or some number around that range. Maybe he was referring to something else, I could be wrong then.

He probably was referring to something else. Doubt it was 200, haha. But still, enough people were there.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
If there was double the amount for Tekken compared to AE/Marvel, it's probably just an indication that the latter games are in the stage of only attracting core players, whereas TTT2 is still fairly new and hot.

That's assuming the figure of 200 is accurate, anyway. It does seem unusual for it to be that much larger than the Capcom crew no matter what stage the games are in...

Nice job Sayah. I don't get the jab on the commentators calling you an online player. Well, I don't get the discrimination between online/offline players in general. Sure offline play is different, but its still the same game and people should know how to defend any type of player.

Rule of thumb, don't take zts seriously hahaha.

Great job Sayah on placing so well in the tourney! So wanted you to win that Kor match but looks like he got you figured out. And yeah I was cringing every time you missed the db+3+4s or 1+4 inputs, guess it's something to work on. Fun to watch stuff altogether though. ^^

Oh and anyone had a look at the Mastercup.5 tournament team's list recently? They just got over 100 teams of 5 people in there which is great to see.

http://mastercupofficial.com/content/mastercup/2012list/list.html

Lots of familiar names in there too:

Team (8) Korea with Qudans, HelpMe and moQ
AO and Lathin in team 9
Nobi, Yuu, Shou, Pekosu and Manba in 11
Bancho, Fudou, Kurokuro, Zekusu, Hameko in 13
Mister and Yuki in 19
Raum in 28
Buriburimaru, Tissuemon and Nashi in 30
Nishin and MakoRyu in 33
Maabu, Chabashira, Ryo (Deku), Furumizu and Kagemaru in 38
Honda and Jiro in 71
Fukushi and Hakushi in 76
Mishimaster in 107

Damnn, can't wait to see it! Can I call dibs on the Mastercup thread? lol.

AAK

Rule of thumb, don't take zts seriously hahaha.

Great job Sayah on placing so well in the tourney! So wanted you to win that Kor match but looks like he got you figured out. And yeah I was cringing every time you missed the db+3+4s or 1+4 inputs, guess it's something to work on. Fun to watch stuff altogether though. ^^

Oh and anyone had a look at the Mastercup.5 tournament team's list recently? They just got over 100 teams of 5 people in there which is great to see.

http://mastercupofficial.com/content/mastercup/2012list/list.html

Lots of familiar names in there too:

Team (8) Korea with Qudans, HelpMe and moQ
AO and Lathin in team 9
Nobi, Yuu, Shou, Pekosu and Manba in 11
Bancho, Fudou, Kurokuro, Zekusu, Hameko in 13
Mister and Yuki in 19
Raum in 28
Buriburimaru, Tissuemon and Nashi in 30
Nishin and MakoRyu in 33
Maabu, Chabashira, Ryo (Deku), Furumizu and Kagemaru in 38
Honda and Jiro in 71
Fukushi and Hakushi in 76
Mishimaster in 107

Damnn, can't wait to see it! Can I call dibs on the Mastercup thread? lol.

Man.... why couldn't the arcade release be updated with the console content :( Some teams could've had an awesome Kuni player or an awesome Ogre player enter.

But go for that thread, most definitely!

Edit: Is that the same Fudo of VF and SF fame?

DEATH™

Man.... why couldn't the arcade release be updated with the console content :( Some teams could've had an awesome Kuni player or an awesome Ogre player enter.

But go for that thread, most definitely!

Im wondering that too. Maybe because namco still want people to buy console version of the game... Quite a shame if you ask me, especially in asia pacific (including australia) where a bunch of people are arcade warriors...

And now sayah and aak placed in a major, at least all of us lower level players here on gaf can say we play along with the best :D

Sayah

^^^^^^
Thanks have to go to you and AAK for convincing me to go to the tournament. Would have never went otherwise.

Anyway, kind of surprising Namco hasn't updated arcades with console content yet. Isn't Tekken still in the top (or close to the top) for most played arcade game every month?

PopInnovation

Neo Member
^^^^^^
Thanks have to go to you and AAK for convincing me to go to the tournament. Would have never went otherwise.

Anyway, kind of surprising Namco hasn't updated arcades with console content yet. Isn't Tekken still in the top (or close to the top) for most played arcade game every month?

I think it has to do with what DEATH said, there needs to be incentive for people to buy the console version for countries (Asia, SE Asia, Australia/NZ) where arcade is the preferred format. It doesn't sound like much, but the main push around the console version was definitely the DLC characters during the promotional period.

I'd imagine the characters will eventually come to the arcade, but who knows when. It's definitely not because arcade isn't popular any more - arcade received a few updates post-console release that aligned a few things, such as solo character entrance animations.

AAK

DEATH™;46421731 said:
And now sayah and aak placed in a major, at least all of us lower level players here on gaf can say we play along with the best :D

I wouldn't classify my placing anywhere near Sayah's. He was in a tournament including Brian H, Real Law, ZTS, FAB, KOR, among others. the major I went to had probably just a quarter of that calibur of players :p.

Doomshine

Congratulations on your placement Sayah!

If I were to give advice it would be to not rely on d+1 so much to get out of pressure situations although I can understand the temptation with Anna's FC mixups. Also tourney nerves obviously, I have no idea what it was like to play on stage.

...and god damn Kor played well after he woke up, it was beautiful to watch. I can't even hate on his double Bob team, he had near perfect movement, punishment and combos.

GrayFoxPL

WTF working really slow lately. It has a day delay now. I have updates for 13th even though I played whole day now, well 8 hours.

Sayah

Congratulations on your placement Sayah!

If I were to give advice it would be to not rely on d+1 so much to get out of pressure situations although I can understand the temptation with Anna's FC mixups. Also tourney nerves obviously, I have no idea what it was like to play on stage.

...and god damn Kor played well after he woke up, it was beautiful to watch. I can't even hate on his double Bob team, he had near perfect movement, punishment and combos.

Yeah, probably should not rely on d+1 or d+4,1 so much. Really hurts me in the end.

And as much as I hate the Bob's in general, there is no way I can hate how KOR handled everything. Really top notch play. Really lucky to have faced him in casuals and in the tourney as well. Now I know what I have to improve on.

I think it has to do with what DEATH said, there needs to be incentive for people to buy the console version for countries (Asia, SE Asia, Australia/NZ) where arcade is the preferred format. It doesn't sound like much, but the main push around the console version was definitely the DLC characters during the promotional period.

I'd imagine the characters will eventually come to the arcade, but who knows when. It's definitely not because arcade isn't popular any more - arcade received a few updates post-console release that aligned a few things, such as solo character entrance animations.

Yeah, hoping they update soon.

DEATH™;46446656 said:
devastator, YOU DA BEST!!!

-------------

Book your Tickets now... Harada's coming to EVO

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/289949379639521280

Las Vegas. So far away.

From the Fighting Games Weekly thread. Some commentary on Tekken at EVO.
"Best game. Worst community."

Not sure what to say.

Everyone in this thread can attest to how NON shitty the tekken community is. Markman you and Rich should set em straight!

LUYG, ATP, tekkenzaibatsu, here at gaf, online practice mode. There are plenty of resources out there for people to get into the game. What more needs to be done? Its not the tekken community its the people who say they want to play/learn tekken but then give up 2 seconds after trying. No one is gonna give you the time of day if you yourself aren't willing to put in the work.

I like how gootecks completely forgot about VF5:FS too when it comes to 3d games.

Sayah

I can agree that a lot of the Tekken community is online. Even 3 years after release with crap netcode, T6 online was active and somewhat flourishing. Can't say the same for other games. SSFIVAE and Marvel are also not nearly as active online as Tekken but their offline tournament scenes are much bigger.

I would think Tekken tends to get lower stream views and lower tournament entries than other games b/c a lot of Tekken players aren't even aware that these things are going on. Tekken Zaibatsu is unfortunately not as active as I'd wish it was. And I don't think I saw a thread on WTF forums for Apex or other Tekken tournaments being held. In fact, I don't think WTF forums have had any threads on streams/tournaments/etc. Part of it may just be pushing lazy people (like me, haha) to go out and participate. I don't know. Maybe I could be wrong.

But, on the other hand, saying that the community is the worst ever is going way too far. Especially when you have people like MarkMan, KOR, Rip, Kane, Aris and many others doing a lot to promote the game with streams, tutorials, tournaments, etc.

And on this forum, you got AAK putting in a crazy amount of work on the Tag 2 tutorial. You got Flying Wonkey doing crazy detective work. And you got all the other players regularly watching and supporting streams and playing matches.

Everyone in this thread can attest to how NON shitty the tekken community is. Markman you and Rich should set em straight!

LUYG, ATP, tekkenzaibatsu, here at gaf, online practice mode. There are plenty of resources out there for people to get into the game. What more needs to be done? Its not the tekken community its the people who say they want to play/learn tekken but then give up 2 seconds after trying. No one is gonna give you the time of day if you yourself aren't willing to put in the work.

I like how gootecks completely forgot about VF5:FS too when it comes to 3d games.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

PopInnovation

Neo Member

Not sure what to say.

What an uneducated comment. I've met top players from all over the world and ALL of them are nothing but enthusiastic, welcoming to new players, and severely passionate about the game and bringing the world community together.

In contrast I've met top players of other games, and while this is a huge generalisation, the only word I can use to describe them is "snobby".

I'd like to think I'm not biased about this either - the entire reason I got into Tekken in the first place was because of the community. And while the community has obviously changed over the past few years, the core of it is still the same.

The comment about Tekken only being there because it's the most "viable" 3D game at the moment is also a fairly weak statement. They should probably consider the popularity of the games internationally and not just look at the US considering EVO tries to promote itself as a "world tournament".

I've been trying ranked a little this week-end, just to have an idea on where I was.
I went out with a 12/15... Well, not bad for a beginning, I expected worse.

The main thing I learned from those is: use guard. I really don't use it enough and I almost never pull it on low attacks. Gotta work a lot on that.

braves01

Banned

Not sure what to say.

As a Tekken noob/fighting game noob in general, I have to disagree. I've mostly been lurking, but the tekken community on gaf alone feels really welcoming and great at helping beginners break into an admittedly complex game. Not to mention all TekkenZaibatsu, Avoiding the Puddle guides, etc.

Sayah

What an uneducated comment. I've met top players from all over the world and ALL of them are nothing but enthusiastic, welcoming to new players, and severely passionate about the game and bringing the world community together.

In contrast I've met top players of other games, and while this is a huge generalisation, the only word I can use to describe them is "snobby".

I'd like to think I'm not biased about this either - the entire reason I got into Tekken in the first place was because of the community. And while the community has obviously changed over the past few years, the core of it is still the same.

The comment about Tekken only being there because it's the most "viable" 3D game at the moment is also a fairly weak statement. They should probably consider the popularity of the games internationally and not just look at the US considering EVO tries to promote itself as a "world tournament".

Haven't paid attention to or come across the players from other games but from the prominent Tekken players I know, they all seem to play an integral role in the community. Rip's streams are enjoyable. Everyone thinks Aris is the best on commentary. And the known Tekken power figures are loved by all (Harada, Michael Murray, MarkMan, FilthieRich).

I've been trying ranked a little this week-end, just to have an idea on where I was.
I went out with a 12/15... Well, not bad for a beginning, I expected worse.

The main thing I learned from those is: use guard. I really don't use it enough and I almost never pull it on low attacks. Gotta work a lot on that.

Even if you're just starting out and can't recognize a lot of the low moves of other characters yet, keep space and distance between your opponent. And when close, use mid-moves that are quick or can crush lows. Keep playing and you will improve with each match. The process of discovering is almost never-ending in this game.

As a Tekken noob/fighting game noob in general, I have to disagree. I've mostly been lurking, but the tekken community on gaf alone is feels really welcoming and great at helping beginners break into an admittedly complex game. Not to mention all TekkenZaibatsu, Avoiding the Puddle guides, etc.

I agree with you.

Sayah

I agree with you.

As a Tekken noob/fighting game noob in general, I have to disagree. I've mostly been lurking, but the tekken community on gaf alone feels really welcoming and great at helping beginners break into an admittedly complex game. Not to mention all TekkenZaibatsu, Avoiding the Puddle guides, etc.

Really glad you think that. :)
Not to self-praise but everyone here is nice. Don't think we've ever had any sort of arguments or quarrels here.

Even if you're just starting out and can't recognize a lot of the low moves of other characters yet, keep space and distance between your opponent. And when close, use mid-moves that are quick or can crush lows. Keep playing and you will improve with each match. The process of discovering is almost never-ending in this game.

Really glad you think that. :)
Not to self-praise but everyone here is nice. Don't think we've ever had any sort of arguments or quarrels here.

I understand how space is important -I practiced some fighting sports irl before- and I always try to be as far as my opponent as possible, but retreating is sooo slow.

Also, of course arguments will occur between people, but even like this, this thread has a "kind" feling that cames out of it. I've recently watched a documentary video on Street Fighter II's tournament of legends 2012 and I had the same feeling about them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that fighting (even in a game) is paradoxaly a quiet activity?

Sayah

I understand how space is important -I practiced some fighting sports irl before- and I always try to be as far as my opponent as possible, but retreating is sooo slow.

Also, of course arguments will occur between people, but even like this, this thread has a "kind" feling that cames out of it. I've recently watched a documentary video on Street Fighter II's tournament of legends 2012 and I had the same feeling about them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that fighting (even in a game) is paradoxaly a quiet activity?
Interesting observation. It's definitely a quiet activity during serious competitive play. Counting out of course when people are playing "just for the laughs." But during competitive play, all the talking is going on psychologically. It's psychological warfare. It's why I like fighting games a lot. Especially local battles when your opponent is sitting right next to you. Both players are always trying to 1up the other (figure out their next move, confuse them with mixups, etc). Really intriguing how it all works too. Off-topic and may sound silly, but I think stuff like this needs to be researched more. There needs to be extensive studies done on the beauty of how all of this works and what this sort of competition accomplishes.

Also, If you're on PSN and If you ever want to practice online, let me know. I have to buy a headset, though. Messages can become tedious.

Interesting observation. It's definitely a quiet activity during serious competitive play. Counting out of course when people are playing "just for the laughs." But during competitive play, all the talking is going on psychologically. It's psychological warfare. It's why I like fighting games a lot. Especially local battles when your opponent is sitting right next to you. Both players are always trying to 1up the other (figure out their next move, confuse them with mixups, etc). Really intriguing how it all works too. Off-topic and may sound silly, but I think stuff like this needs to be researched more. There needs to be extensive studies done on the beauty of how all of this works and what this sort of competition accomplishes.

Also, If you're on PSN and If you ever want to practice online, let me know. I have to buy a headset, though. Messages can become tedious.

I'm not on PSN, I only have a WiiU right now. A little off topic, but as I just moved I didn't have money and time to be full machine equipped. Thank you for the offer though.

PopInnovation

Neo Member

Once you start to learn how to "Korean Back Dash" you can improve a lot! It will take a LONG time to master, but even just being able to do it for two or three steps will greatly increase the speed you can retreat. In my opinion this is such an important basic, but luckily I think it's one of the least tedious to learn and has the most obvious results - as long as you understand how to do it! If you are unsure you can search for some tutorials online (you can do it on both pad and stick, I'd recommend practice on stick).

I'm still kind of shocked at the comment about the community. It's just horrendously uneducated. If you're pushing a podcast that popular you really should do some research before attempting to make witty "say it as it is" comments.

Once you start to learn how to "Korean Back Dash" you can improve a lot! It will take a LONG time to master, but even just being able to do it for two or three steps will greatly increase the speed you can retreat. In my opinion this is such an important basic, but luckily I think it's one of the least tedious to learn and has the most obvious results - as long as you understand how to do it! If you are unsure you can search for some tutorials online (you can do it on both pad and stick, I'd recommend practice on stick).

Wow, I just saw some video on youtube and it's really something I need to learn. Thanks for the tip. As I'm really beginning I still didn't invest in a stick, I'll buy one when I'll get better.

braves01

Banned
Wow, I just saw some video on youtube and it's really something I need to learn. Thanks for the tip. As I'm really beginning I still didn't invest in a stick, I'll buy one when I'll get better.

I think Tekken Ball is a great place to practice this in since you focus mostly on movement along a 2D plane and can also net some good cash while you're practicing. That's what I've been doing at least so I can execute it better. I also worked on crouch dashing here when I rushed the "net."

Sayah

Getting up properly tutorial might be helpful too. Also, sidestepping tutorial.

If any specific character moves are giving you trouble in matches, head into practice and go to the defensive training mode. You can record or select the CPU commands and learn to punish them accordingly. Sort of like what's going on in this video.

I'm not on PSN, I only have a WiiU right now. A little off topic, but as I just moved I didn't have money and time to be full machine equipped. Thank you for the offer though.

Cool. No prob. I wish I had the Wii U version, haha.

Well would you look at that, a rejected Lars design.

http://p.twipple.jp/yVtHQ

yVtHQ

Looks better then Super Saiyan hair. Still a horrible character in general though.

DEATH™

Guys, about the iplaywinner stream, I think they are talking about the game "needing" to change and the community resisting to it. Listening to what they are saying, I think they are still thinking about Darry H crappy article and players having a hard time getting into the game. They want it to be more noob friendly...

If thats the case, yes we are a "horrible" community, and I will completely embrace that... the game is too fricking hard for them despite every video tutorial, fight lab, advanced practice mode and online community with online sparring sessions? While they continue praising their game full of imbalances, mismatches, broken combos and braindead inputs? Them people are lazy.

DEATH™;46460956 said:
Guys, about the iplaywinner stream, I think they are talking about the game "needing" to change and the community resisting to it. Listening to what they are saying, I think they are still thinking about Darry H crappy article and players having a hard time getting into the game. They want it to be more noob friendly...

If thats the case, yes we are a "horrible" community, and I will completely embrace that... the game is too fricking hard for them despite every video tutorial, fight lab, advanced practice mode and online community with online sparring sessions? While they continue praising their game full of imbalances, mismatches, broken combos and braindead inputs? Them people are lazy.

The person that raised the point was Magus1234, who is actually a new player to Tekken and a big fan of it. Even calls it the best fighting game currently out. His issue of "worst community" (by the way, Magus called the community "apathetic"; it was Darry that went so far to call them the "worst community", but we know better than to take Darry seriously) was that many of the tourney level players are all 10+ year vets who no longer have the time/energy to run hours long training sessions and showing up to weekly events to play all night. He wants to get to that level but can't because there's no one really able to help. Perhaps he's seen other beginner level players in Norcal who have run into the same issue. You can certainly see it live on Spooky streams every week when they don't even run Tekken anymore because the players aren't able to come out and play at those hours, and almost no one new came out. The online is great, so great that most of the playerbase is satsified with it and content to just stay there.

Persona (and anime games) were put on notice by the EVO organizer MrWizard to "show up or else" when the players for that game have shown up in greater numbers than Tekken players have to major tournaments. The point of the original topic was that it isn't fair to do that when there are other games that draw less and get in due to legacy alone. When looking at it from a tournament perspective, I can't say I really disagree with anything that was said. I've heard from prominent Tekken players that feel like community won't really grow with this game. Even in Korea where the best Tekken players are, you can read and listen to interviews of the players that say the game is dying.

I'm a new player to the series, and I'm enjoying it and will continue to play it. I'm not a tournament player and don't have an interest in participating in them. I do feel bad that TTT2 didn't reinvigorate the Tekken tournament scene in the states to the levels many expected, but at the same time I think EVO will have a massive turnout and be a success.
As long as KOR doesn't kill the game again with double Bob's.

DEATH™

The person that raised the point was Magus1234, who is actually a new player to Tekken and a big fan of it. Even calls it the best fighting game currently out. His issue of "worst community" (by the way, Magus called the community "apathetic"; it was Darry that went so far to call them the "worst community", but we know better than to take Darry seriously) was that many of the tourney level players are all 10+ year vets who no longer have the time/energy to run hours long training sessions and showing up to weekly events to play all night. He wants to get to that level but can't because there's no one really able to help. Perhaps he's seen other beginner level players in Norcal who have run into the same issue. You can certainly see it live on Spooky streams every week when they don't even run Tekken anymore because the players aren't able to come out and play at those hours, and almost no one new came out. The online is great, so great that most of the playerbase is satsified with it and content to just stay there.

Persona (and anime games) were put on notice by the EVO organizer MrWizard to "show up or else" when the players for that game have shown up in greater numbers than Tekken players have to major tournaments. The point of the original topic was that it isn't fair to do that when there are other games that draw less and get in due to legacy alone. When looking at it from a tournament perspective, I can't say I really disagree with anything that was said. I've heard from prominent Tekken players that feel like community won't really grow with this game. Even in Korea where the best Tekken players are, you can read and listen to interviews of the players that say the game is dying.

I'm a new player to the series, and I'm enjoying it and will continue to play it. I'm not a tournament player and don't have an interest in participating in them. I do feel bad that TTT2 didn't reinvigorate the Tekken tournament scene in the states to the levels many expected, but at the same time I think EVO will have a massive turnout and be a success.
As long as KOR doesn't kill the game again with double Bob's.

The problem in Korea (and many parts of asia with a arcade scene) is that the game became too expensive and other cheaper pc games start to emerge. Remember that green initially started a boycott due to this but failed. Even back home, not everyone can afford playing the game at a regular basis. Just imagine for me, to even play two games, I gotta walk home for a couple of miles (yeah, I got tight budget ; p ). But that is considered cheap compared to the prices now...

The problem here in america is that most players here have lives. We gotta get jobs and save up for going to tourneys, and there's not much sponsors around to help players around unlike capcom games. Even fab said he got no time going to big two because of his job, same thing with kane at wnf. Look, srk staff gets payed for what they do, on tz we cant do that. Even the content on tz wiki is solely on voluntary work. As much as we want to, many people around arent capable of going. If we can compile all players online with brawler ranks or higher, we can defeatssf4 numbers, and yes they are good players, yet players dont have that means to get to tourneys...

Art's Iron fist tourney got the right idea me thinks. Get online players go to online tourneys/ranbats and the winner gets to go to final round. I kinda wish there are more tourneys like that.

Sayah

DEATH™;46460956 said:

Tekken has taken years to get at the level it is at right now with each entry in the series adding more and more. The series has evolved drastically since its inception and it's now at a point where the gameplay is near perfection. The balance, the depth, the everything is at the very top and it took years to get here. Not sure why anyone would expect community members, no less the devs, to just abandon all of that.

There are a lot of resources out for new players to put to use if they want to get better. It's no lie the game is overwhelming at first but it gets easier once you grasp the fundamentals. Best method of getting better is to find good local competition. It doesn't even have to be a tournament or local scene. It can be a family member or friend that is just as committed in getting better at the game. In online matches, you don't see a lot of things and don't feel the same intense pressure. Offline matches, though, work differently. You learn the opponent, you learn the tricks they are using and you adapt because you are playing the same person over and over again. As opposed to ranked/player matches where the opponent is different each time. Eventually there comes a point when things start to click and you realize how amazing the depth is. And then you commit yourself to Tekken because the process of getting better is never-ending. This is from personal experience so I realize it's not bound to be a universal thing. Regardless, it's worth noting.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I been saying for years that the Tekken community seems more open to new people than any other and seems overall more chilled.

Misconception here. I don't think they are saying the players themselves are the worst but yeah, the circumstances are.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I'd just like to add that the Korean definition of a game "dying" is vastly different from the way most people interpret it. The arcades are still packed here daily, the only difference is there are less high-end players compared to BR days for various reasons (people moving on, more incentive in playing other e-sports such as LoL, etc). In addition the community here is really segregated, so while the community we are most familiar with (the top players at Green) speak of the game popularity diminishing, there are a bunch of smaller, less talented communities who are still thriving and are slowly improving as players.

Also the price per game of TTT2U here is back down to ~30 cents in all arcades (300 won) and it has been that way for over half a year, so that's a largely irrelevant factor now. I have not met a Tekken player here who doesn't play because of the price.

Aside from arcade, online is also really popular here. I never wait more than a minute for a player match at almost any hour.

In saying that, the high barrier to entry is still there. That's just Tekken. I think any nation and any type of player (arcade/console, hardcore/casual) has the exact same issue when it comes to Tekken - it takes a while to become comfortable with. However, why is it only Tekken where newer players seem to need their hands held by top players to get good at the game? When I first started playing I needed to do my own research, put my own hours in, and spent my own money at the arcade getting beat up. No one helped me get good until I was good.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure there are good examples of this in the US too, Anakin comes to mind. If I remember correctly, this guy literally came out of no where and blew things up. From an extremely small community with mostly average players at best, to being considered one of the most notable US players.

Also considering the massive amount of support Namco pour into EVO, I think it's a little more than "legacy" securing Tekken a position haha.

I been saying for years that the Tekken community seems more open to new people than any other and seems overall more chilled.

Misconception here. I don't think they are saying the players themselves are the worst but yeah, the circumstances are.

I guess it makes a lot more sense if he was referring to the "circumstances", but it was way too easy to misinterpret his words.

Seems like most Tekken players I meet online and in general are pretty friendly and willing to offer praise or advice. Good to see newbies taking the time to learn this immensely deep fighter. Unfortunately, I have a least a dozen friends who gave up on TTT2 because they felt intimidated by the steep learning curve, gave up on learning the fundamentals or not being able to adapt to the tag system which I can understand if you are an impatient. Yeah, I will admit that TTT2 can be very intimidating even for some experienced Tekken players because there are so many things to learn. I love deep games and I willing to invest the time and dedication in it, but it seems like I am in the minority though lol. I am not sure if I am willing to try to become "tournament-level" one day like some people in this thread, but overall I play TTT2 because I have so much fun with it. Unfortunately, no one locally will play me anymore lol, so my only practice/play is the CPU and online. I may stir up some controversy here, but I think TTT2 is the "Darks Souls" of fighting games. The game is genuinely rewarding and utterly amazing once you learn how to properly play, but the learning curve can be quite painful and you will get "KO'ed" a lot, especially online where there are so many formidable and merciless players who breath and eat Tekken for breakfast. I won't even say how many hours I put into TTT2, but I am still learning new tactics and things even after all of these months with the same characters.

What I need to work on is how to fight each character flawlessly. Fighters such as Bob, Lili and Xiayou can be problematic at times for me, but I think I have the most problems fighting against Hworang. I can normally handle him, but when a good player gets on top of me, I sometimes have problems breaking out of his strings and seemingly get stunned. Think I better learn him better. That could help.

Doomshine

People say Tekken is in only because it's a 3D game, but I'd be surprised if it got less entrants than MK and KOF unless we have another shirt situation. SCV had more entrants than MK last year and KOF's had terrible numbers post Evo.

I don't know how P4A's been doing so I won't comment on that.

Getting up properly tutorial might be helpful too. Also, sidestepping tutorial.

If any specific character moves are giving you trouble in matches, head into practice and go to the defensive training mode. You can record or select the CPU commands and learn to punish them accordingly. Sort of like what's going on in this video. .

I followed your links yesterday evening and discovered -by related videos- "low parry".

That blew my mind so hard that I still didn't recollect all the pieces.

AAK

What's a magic 4?

A 4 hitting on counter hit that leads to a launcher. Not every character i.e. Hwoarang has one. It's good because it's only 1 frame slower than a jab and can lead to a launcher. At the same time, there is Steve with an 11 frame b+1 leading to a crumple stun on counter hit LOL.

Can I low parry crouched jabs?

Yes :)

Top Bottom