• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

I think this game may have worn out my pad. Keep getting execution errors lately. I tried to do Feng's back sway stance earlier (b+3+4) and instead whiffed b+4, which got me launched. Sooo mad I was. :lol

Doesn't matter anyway. I'm giving up online. Everyone is too good and I'm never going to catch up. I'll wait for Tekken 7 when it's an even playing field again.

Thanks for this. I will have to watch it later.

Jin is great for pokes. I spent a lot of time with him in practice. He's a great match for Nina because she gets early rage from him. And their specific tag grab is really cool.

But the downside with Jin is his low juggle damage. Plus, I can't land ewgf's. Usually succeed with them every 1 out of 20 tries. lol

As far as launchers go, u/f+4 seems safe (or at least I think it is). Probably can be punished with 1,2 punches on block but that's not significant damage.

Edit: Watching the Aris tutorial and he also said he gets electrics one out of 20 times. Interesting that our ratios match up.

Edit 2: Right now, I"m just seeing him trying to do flapping butterfly combo over and over again. I've pretty much given up on that combo. I can do it in practice but in an actual match? nooooope.

Yeah, I was going to mention that it seems like Jin has somewhat weak juggles which is strange considering he is so buff and muscular, but I thought I was doing something wrong. I'll try that launcher out because the only ones I try are down 3+ 4 and d/f +2 which is hit or miss.

Honestly, doing an EWGF is pretty rare when I have Jin. Isn't it f,n,d/f+2 or something???? I seemingly do it correctly, but that regular uppercut just comes out normally.

The flapping butterfly combo.....man, I can sometimes do my own variation of it in the practice mode, but forget it in a heated, intense match. I don't even try it anymore. I have to leave that little jumping kick out on the 4th or 5th hit because I still cannot add that to the combo lol. I think that video further proces that Nina is arguably the most difficult character to master in TTT2 despite what people say.

Sayah

Yeah, I was going to mention that it seems like Jin has somewhat weak juggles which is strange considering he is so buff and muscular, but I thought I was doing something wrong. I'll try that launcher out because the only ones I try are down 3+ 4 and d/f +2 which is hit or miss.

Honestly, doing an EWGF is pretty rare when I have Jin. Isn't it f,n,d/f+2 or something???? I seemingly do it correctly, but that regular uppercut just comes out normally.

The flapping butterfly combo.....man, I can sometimes do my own variation of it in the practice mode, but forget it in a heated, intense match. I don't even try it anymore. I have to leave that little jumping kick out on the 4th or 5th hit because I still cannot add that to the combo lol. I think that video further proces that Nina is arguably the most difficult character to master in TTT2 despite what people say.

Nina is definitely up there as one of the most difficult characters. There's just soooooooo much to learn with her. It's almost never-ending. And even I'm picking up new stuff with her all the time that I didn't know about before. It's crazy.

Also, Aris: "I just picked up Nina last week. This combo isn't that hard."
Plays for one hour working on that one combo and drops it 90% of the time. :lol

He does say it's a hard combo later on.

I think this game may have worn out my pad. Keep getting execution errors lately. I tried to do Feng's back sway stance earlier (b+3+4) and instead whiffed b+4, which got me launched. Sooo mad I was. :lol

Doesn't matter anyway. I'm giving up online. Everyone is too good and I'm never going to catch up. I'll wait for Tekken 7 when it's an even playing field again.

Yeah, I'm on my third pad since T6. And probably will have to move to my fourth ds soon.

AAK

I'm on my 2nd arcade stick and on that 2nd stick I've had to replace 6 buttons, 2 springs, and and e-clip! Tekken is a huuuuge investment haha. A lot of times the spring becomes loose because ofhow much tension it's put in my bag or whatever whenever I travel to local gathers and such. That's why I REALLY want one of these:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/128223884/the-link-quick-release-joystick-shaft?ref=live

Make everything more convenient, this is a genius idea by the way. Madcatz and Hori should take notes :) Speaking of Madcatz.... we still gotta fight!

Nina is definitely one of the most challenging characters to play. When I see Only Practice play with Nina I'm just mesmerized. There is no end to the wonders that he can do... HOWEVER:

Playing Mishima's at the top level is just as hard. When I saw what JDCR and Knee were doing with Heihachi/Devil Jin at Final Round.... I was in tears of amazement. Punishing whiffed jabs with an Dashing Electric on reaction... unbelievable.

GrayFoxPL

Umm... Even playing field is probably no go, since good players will only get better by the time Tekken 7 comes out. Harada wont change more then 10-15% of the game max. He knows that many players worked hard for years to get good with their characters.

If only he'd be allowed to make a new fighting game with system absolutely different from Tekken, then there's even playing field, but Tekken 7 - hardcore of hardcore stuff I assume.

DEATH™

I'm on my 2nd arcade stick and on that 2nd stick I've had to replace 6 buttons, 2 springs, and and e-clip! Tekken is a huuuuge investment haha. A lot of times the spring becomes loose because ofhow much tension it's put in my bag or whatever whenever I travel to local gathers and such. That's why I REALLY want one of these:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/128223884/the-link-quick-release-joystick-shaft?ref=live

Make everything more convenient, this is a genius idea by the way. Madcatz and Hori should take notes :) Speaking of Madcatz.... we still gotta fight!

Nina is definitely one of the most challenging characters to play. When I see Only Practice play with Nina I'm just mesmerized. There is no end to the wonders that he can do... HOWEVER:

Playing Mishima's at the top level is just as hard. When I saw what JDCR and Knee were doing with Heihachi/Devil Jin at Final Round.... I was in tears of amazement. Punishing whiffed jabs with an Dashing Electric on reaction... unbelievable.

I thought most arcade stick bags take care of the bulging and sticks wear right?

And bro I really recommend the crown 303A at least (if you still use JLF). Its really good for tekken inputs.

AAK

I've tried the crown K-sticks. I can see the appeal, but I'm so used to ball tops and I don't want to readjust all my JFSR timings and such for the new stick.

However, if I was gonna decide on switching controller methods I would easily, EASILY go for a hitbox. That thing makes everything 10x easier than stick: wavedashing, backdash cancelling, just frames, you name it.

Sayah

Anyone know of good and cheap recording equipment to buy? It needs to be in HD but I just need it for recording, not streaming. I have a DVD recorder I can use but then I'd have to use composite inputs instead of component or hdmi.

DEATH™

Anyone know of good and cheap recording equipment to buy? It needs to be in HD but I just need it for recording, not streaming. I have a DVD recorder I can use but then I'd have to use composite inputs instead of component or hdmi.

There's alot out there with less than $200 but I'm not gonna bet on the quality... Better buy something that last...

@AAK buy a Hitbox bro... If you already in a position of being able to buy couple of sticks already, might as well save for a hitbox too...

Dereck

What are you recording?

AAK

The thing about hitboxes is that you have to get them with special orders. The hitbox guys don't just mass produce, they take an order, manufacture it, and then send it. It's a real long waiting process, and then the shipping costs add so much to it already. I'm happy as is. All the sticks I've bought previously were Hori sticks. When Markman will hopefully get around to sending Wonkey, myself, and defective our prizes, I can finally try out the Madcatz premiums :)

DEATH™

Argh...

I'm seaching for good fanarts for my stick and I ended up trying to learn Blender, 3D graphics and Modelling. How did I get into this???

Sayah

What are you recording?

TEKKEN

I thought I'd better start working on that Williams tutorials since none exist.

DEATH™;52414896 said:
There's alot out there with less than $200 but I'm not gonna bet on the quality... Better buy something that last...

@AAK buy a Hitbox bro... If you already in a position of being able to buy couple of sticks already, might as well save for a hitbox too...

I'm talking $50 or under range, haha. Am I being unreasonable? I'm probably being unreasonable. But if something exists, let me know.

DEATH™;52428168 said:
Argh...

I'm seaching for good fanarts for my stick and I ended up trying to learn Blender, 3D graphics and Modelling. How did I get into this???

I was learning maya a few months ago. lol
It's free for students along with a lot of other interesting software if you want to check it out. And they have tutorials I think.

http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

I don't know if blender is better or not, though. Maybe it is.

Dereck

Ok yeah, that seems to be on the cheaper end on ebay. I think I will probably end up buying this.
The videos you posted were great in quality as well.
If you're going to buy this to use to record PS3 gameplay, be aware that you can only record gameplay using component cables, because the PS3 has a lock on HDMI capture.

DEATH™

GGs to boutdown and Terra...

Darn AK is sooo linear... Dude's overrated in the tier list. Everything is duckable and sidesteppaple. Only DU is his saving grace... I sometimes wished I still have King when you spam that sidestep. I can't even do any kind of poke...

Sayah

If you're going to buy this to use to record PS3 gameplay, be aware that you can only record gameplay using component cables, because the PS3 has a lock on HDMI capture.

Yep. I'm aware of that. I have component cables for the PS3 so no worries there.
How is your experience with the device, though? Do you experience input lag while recording and playing Tekken simultaneously?

Dereck

Yep. I'm aware of that. I have component cables for the PS3 so no worries there.
How is your experience with the device, though? Do you experience input lag while recording and playing Tekken simultaneously?
I don't usually record Tekken simultaneously, I usually just record replays. The only time I record simultaneously is when I'm going through the replay menu looking for replays, where, the recording is playing while I'm playing, there's no lag or anything. Just make sure that when you record that you're settings are straight. Before I thought it would only record 480p, but then I realized in my settings that I never set it to 720p.

Sayah

I don't usually record Tekken simultaneously, I usually just record replays. The only time I record simultaneously is when I'm going through the replay menu looking for replays, where, the recording is playing while I'm playing, there's no lag or anything. Just make sure that when you record that you're settings are straight. Before I thought it would only record 480p, but then I realized in my settings that I never set it to 720p.

Ok cool. Thanks for all the info.

Dereck

DEATH™;52467147 said:
GGs to boutdown and Terra...

Darn AK is sooo linear... Dude's overrated in the tier list. Everything is duckable and sidesteppaple. Only DU is his saving grace... I sometimes wished I still have King when you spam that sidestep. I can't even do any kind of poke...
Sorry, had to dip. You guys got better, I can hardly hang.

I recently got a PS3 and SFIV:AE on PS+, which I've played quite a bit. it's got me hankering for Tekken again. I was huge into 2, 3, 4 and Tag. Going to go pick this up tomorrow.

Is the PS3 online scene good? Very nice OT, btw.

Sayah

I recently got a PS3 and SFIV:AE on PS+, which I've played quite a bit. it's got me hankering for Tekken again. I was huge into 2, 3, 4 and Tag. Going to go pick this up tomorrow.

PS3 is very active. Netcode is really great. If you are ever frustrated with the game (which is bound to happen at some point if you play competitively), post here and any single one of your problems will have a solution. The great thing about this game is that everything has a way of being overcome. The balance is really great.

DEATH™

PS3 online is huge... and BRUTAL. Almost everyone is good... I prefer you to stick around in this thread or on Tekken Zaibatsu and we can help you with stuff.

Umm... Even playing field is probably no go, since good players will only get better by the time Tekken 7 comes out. Harada wont change more then 10-15% of the game max. He knows that many players worked hard for years to get good with their characters.

If only he'd be allowed to make a new fighting game with system absolutely different from Tekken, then there's even playing field, but Tekken 7 - hardcore of hardcore stuff I assume.

There's always TxSF I guess. :p

But no, I was just frustrated yesterday. I'm not done with this game yet. Just have to remember that everything is a learning experience.

DEATH™

But no, I was just frustrated yesterday. I'm not done with this game yet. Just have to remember that everything is a learning experience.

Just a reminder. Don't play when you're mad. Don't force it. You're gonna lose more. It's known medically that being in constant stress will affect your mental performance. Take a break when frustrated, then practice when every salt is gone...

MikeMyers

DEATH™;52481046 said:
PS3 online is huge... and BRUTAL. Almost everyone is good... I prefer you to stick around in this thread or on Tekken Zaibatsu and we can help you with stuff.

Actually I find this thread to be more useful than TZ. I've been on since 2005 and while I love that site their strategy forums can be all over the place IMO.

Nina is definitely up there as one of the most difficult characters. There's just soooooooo much to learn with her. It's almost never-ending. And even I'm picking up new stuff with her all the time that I didn't know about before. It's crazy.

Also, Aris: "I just picked up Nina last week. This combo isn't that hard."
Plays for one hour working on that one combo and drops it 90% of the time. :lol

He does say it's a hard combo later on.

Yeah, I'm on my third pad since T6. And probably will have to move to my fourth ds soon.

I believe it. I am still discovering new stuff with her also and I thought memorizing all of her moves on her command list was enough to learn her at first.

I thought I heard him say he just picked up Nina last week. He seems good so far with all things considered. Yeah, the combo dropping with his remarks did make me snicker a few times, but I cannot laugh too much since I can barely perform it myself lol and I've been using Nina for a while now.

I'm on my fourth DS controller and I have owned about 3 six axis controllers. Not that I am destructive or anything, but when they get worn out, I just buy another one.

TEKKENI thought I'd better start working on that Williams tutorials since none exist.

There are really no Nina tutorials out there? I knew I couldn't find any when I searched a long time ago, but I thought I just wasn't searching in the right places and some would eventually materialize. Wow, that's not good. Go for it and I wish you the best with it.

maomaoIYP

There are really no Nina tutorials out there? I knew I couldn't find any when I searched a long time ago, but I thought I just wasn't searching in the right places and some would eventually materialize. Wow, that's not good. Go for it and I wish you the best with it.

There's the Nina bible by Galen on TZ, that's about it I think.

Hang in there man. I'm sure literally everyone has been there before. TTT2 is a very rewarding experience and yet it can also be very frustrating at times since it seems like 90% of people online range from fairly solid to professional level. Just take it one step at a time. I played so many fighters in my life and there is so much to learn in this game to the point where it is frightening at times, heh.

There's the Nina bible by Galen on TZ, that's about it I think.

Oh, I forgot about that one. It seems to have some very useful information in there. That was the only one I found on the entire net. I guess I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any in-depth video tutorials for Nina or Anna that explains the basics to advanced techniques besides combo videos? Those are some of the TTT2 characters who could use it the most imo. I suppose it is a lot of hard work though.

Manbig

Outside of juggle damage, Jin is very solid all around. You can be defensive and have a nice range of punishers at your disposal. You can also opt to be more aggressive and have some good options to keep up with your pressure on hit or on block. At the wall is where he is at his best though IMO. It helps that he has decent wall carry.

Dereck

I have decided today that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the greatest fighting game created and Tekken GAF changed my life, thanks guys.

Dereck

What is Kappa?

DEATH™;52547619 said:
Its gotta be something! What is it?
Maybe it was sometime after our last fights online where I feel like I finally got Law's DSS down and was on fire with the mixups, even though I wasn't really blocking a lot.

Oh yeah, I went to the comic book store down the street and found this.

O9hyksX.jpg

What kind of dummy would sell these games to a comic book store. They came with booklets and everything, discs were overall unscratched. Oh well, their loss.

DEATH™

Can you explain why Nina is high and Anna is lower, why Beak is "low?" and Hwo is high?

Lol at Forest being smack dab.

Nina being better all around.
Anna's weakness is her linearity and she's in the game where movement got better in general.
Baek got holes in his offense, baek users need to become ballsy to be good at, unlike the mishimas who can just wait for any stupid thing you will do.
Hwoarang, despite having holes too, is the better all around guy who got tools in situations.
Forest lack of DSS made him "lower" but I think people just dont use him and his cancels right. Ff+3~B is a great example. People dont use it despite being good.

Uncle AJ

Back from Final Round. I was fortunate enough to find and sit down with Ace Unlimited who plays my team (Jin/Jun) for ~45 minutes so he could show me some pointers. Found out some really cool stuff, and he's a pretty cool guy. Right before he helped me he won a money match with PokChop who was popping off THE ENTIRE SET, but Ace just kept a straight face, never spoke a word and humbled his ass.

So quick things I learned that I should practice:

-Jin's parry can blow up tag crashes.
-Tag buffering Jun's counter leads to a strong mixup. A throw here can catch a lot of folks off guard.
You can make Jin's f+4 ~ f safe on block if you cancel the CDS into crouch dash then hold back, and this still gives you enough time to confirm a combo w/ b+2,1 if the f+4 actually hit.

MikeMyers

What is Kappa?

Maybe it was sometime after our last fights online where I feel like I finally got Law's DSS down and was on fire with the mixups, even though I wasn't really blocking a lot.

Oh yeah, I went to the comic book store down the street and found this.

O9hyksX.jpg

What kind of dummy would sell these games to a comic book store. They came with booklets and everything, discs were overall unscratched. Oh well, their loss.

Sweet! My T1-T3 are PAL (I used to live in UK), so they dont work on my US PS3.

Manbig

Back from Final Round. I was fortunate enough to find and sit down with Ace Unlimited who plays my team (Jin/Jun) for ~45 minutes so he could show me some pointers. Found out some really cool stuff, and he's a pretty cool guy. Right before he helped me he won a money match with PokChop who was popping off THE ENTIRE SET, but Ace just kept a straight face, never spoke a word and humbled his ass.

So quick things I learned that I should practice:

-Jin's parry can blow up tag crashes.
-Tag buffering Jun's counter leads to a strong mixup. A throw here can catch a lot of folks off guard.
You can make Jin's f+4 ~ f safe on block if you cancel the CDS into crouch dash then hold back, and this still gives you enough time to confirm a combo w/ b+2,1 if the f+4 actually hit.

Here's a few more tips for you with Jin.

- CDS has a built in f input buffered into it, so you can do stuff like f,f,2 (b1,f,2) and iWR3 (b1,f,f,3) right out of it. You can also use that free f input to crouch dash out of it by inputting b1,d,d/f.

- f4 is safe on block if you don't go right into CDS. Outside of the new CH f juggle, this transition is really a gimmick anyway.

- If he exchanges a hit with his standing 4, he gets a free can can kicks (d,3+4). You can set up this scenario using d/b,4 on hit. It gives you +3 and Standing 4 is i13. If someone gets hit with d/b,4 and tries to jab, this gives you a free launch for a lot of damage.

- Speaking of d/b,4, it's safe on block from max range.

- Always remember that parry does not follow the rules of counters. This is why he can parry tag crash. He can also parry unblockable set ups. The punishment you get depends purely on the recovery of the move that you parried tough, so experiment. His parry is one of the most underutilized tools among pretty much every non Japanese/Korean Jin player. It's a key move that allows you to dramatically change every single match up in the game and warrants attention.

Sayah

I have decided today that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the greatest fighting game created and Tekken GAF changed my life, thanks guys.

I decided that before Tekken Tag 2 even released. Mostly because I played Hybrid, already saw all the arcade footage and knew Tag 2 was many steps up from T6's gameplay system. T6 doesn't have the netsu metagame or the same creative combo potential or the crazy good netcode. In a decade, I will look back at this and really recognize as it one of the best experiences of my life.

Yeah, I don't think there's any video guide. Just that Nina bible by Galen on TZ. I will probably order recording equipment tomorrow and start working on this next week.

Very cool interview with FilthieRich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmkcRlSIyl4&feature=youtu.be

Love the last few mintues

Filthierich is really really great as a community manager and he's doing his job really well. He doesn't hold biases either or at least is smart enough to not show any biases. Can't say the same for people in similar positions at Capcom.

MikeMyers

I agree, Tag 2 has made me fall in love with Tekken all over again. I was losing interest around 2005, but now TTT2 has changed things.

Sayah

I agree, Tag 2 has made me fall in love with Tekken all over again. I was losing interest around 2005, but now TTT2 has changed things.

I took a break after Tekken 5. Tekken has always been a system seller for me but I never got a PSP for T5DR. Then, I came back to the party with T6. And now that I've gotten myself more heavily invested into the gameplay and the series in general, I don't see myself quitting. Unless TKXSF and T7 both mess up in a really big way.

Top Bottom