• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

I'm doing alright learning the game. Felt pretty good with Zafina and wanted to start to learn a second. Was always a fan of playing as Julia so I went with Jaycee, overall I'm doing alright though I do have one issue. For whatever reason, I have a hell of a team doing her d,df 1~3 but only within juggles. Have a feeling I'll just need to practice more. I can do that whenever I want easily, but within a juggle? Hell no.

It's been a fun learning experience thus far. Just have to shake some of my VF habits when I play this heh.

You can try Michelle, she pretty much is Julia without her new Luchador moves that come from her forward roll and bridge stance which makes her simpler to use though her potential definitely is inferior to Julia's. But she has the superior mad axes by far because of the okizeme it offers.

But personally, stick with solo until you understand the game a lot better. If you're most familiar with Zafina for now, I recommend to keep learning more things about her such as the moves which catch people sidestepping in certain directions, and the moves you can do against people for okizeme, the setups after throws, the setups after wall combo's, tech traps after juggles, tag assault baits, etc. Until you have a basis on all of things it's best to concentrate those things for 1 character before you have to expand your thought process of the tag launcher, tag cancel system, and netsu management.

But if you are ready, Julia isn't a bad choice. But if you're looking for a tag partner for Zafina that would complement her during tag assault, it's best to find a character with a very strong single hitting move for the TA and finishing the juggle off with Zafina. Julia and Michelle to be honest don't really have that IMO. You can look online for the Zafina player FlyMike and how he uses Ganryu as her partner. It's really cool.

Sayah

You can try Michelle, she pretty much is Julia without her new Luchador moves that come from her forward roll and bridge stance which makes her simpler to use though her potential definitely is inferior to Julia's. But she has the superior mad axes by far because of the okizeme it offers.

But personally, stick with solo until you understand the game a lot better. If you're most familiar with Zafina for now, I recommend to keep learning more things about her such as the moves which catch people sidestepping in certain directions, and the moves you can do against people for okizeme, the setups after throws, the setups after wall combo's, tech traps after juggles, tag assault baits, etc. Until you have a basis on all of things it's best to concentrate those things for 1 character before you have to expand your thought process of the tag launcher, tag cancel system, and netsu management.

But if you are ready, Julia isn't a bad choice. But if you're looking for a tag partner for Zafina that would complement her during tag assault, it's best to find a character with a very strong single hitting move for the TA and finishing the juggle off with Zafina. Julia and Michelle to be honest don't really have that IMO. You can look online for the Zafina player FlyMike and how he uses Ganryu as her partner. It's really cool.

Michelle's d+2,3,1 is actually a really great tag assault filler. Unfortunately, Jaycee is lacking that move.

AAK

Michelle's d+2,3,1 is actually a really great tag assault filler. Unfortunately, Jaycee is lacking that move.

Oh shoot! I forgot about that move haha. It's just that because I always pair Michelle up with Angel, and with Angel I don't think I ever TA with her except from u+4,4 B! where I come with Michelle and do d,d/f+1~3,n,d/f+4,2,3 into a TGF~u. But that juggle is hard :(

But yeah, listen to Sayah, that string is PERFECT for tag assaults. Anyways, here is a fight between Flymike and ForMyNinja's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwiXUmnL89Q&t=13m30s

I love this match for the unorthodox characters used here.

If I were to main Feng or Bob, who would be the better choice?

They're both high tier characters so it comes down to preference. If you like Law's trickery and Miguel's hard hitting style then Feng has all of that. He's a fun and relatively simple character to use.

And he has four low launchers than can all lead to 80+ damage. So prepare for the hate mail. :D

Xevren

Oh shoot! I forgot about that move haha. It's just that because I always pair Michelle up with Angel, and with Angel I don't think I ever TA with her except from u+4,4 B! where I come with Michelle and do d,d/f+1~3,n,d/f+4,2,3 into a TGF~u. But that juggle is hard :(

But yeah, listen to Sayah, that string is PERFECT for tag assaults. Anyways, here is a fight between Flymike and ForMyNinja's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwiXUmnL89Q&t=13m30s

I love this match for the unorthodox characters used here.

That vid gave me some idea's at least for Zafina, also thanks for all your input peoples. Always appreciated. I really need to look into some customization stuff too, clearly a lot there but haven't even looked at it yet.

AAK

Remember East Coast people, You only have less than a month to pre-register for both the big majors:

Toryuken

Registration Ends ~April 30th. There is no onsite registration for this event. (You'll see me here)

East Coast Throwdown

Pre-registration Ends May 4th. The registration price will jump to $45 after that day.

Sayah

I missed out on all the matches today. :/

But it was great spectating.

Also, work on the Williams tutorial has begun. Don't know how long it'll take.

AAK

I missed out on all the matches today. :/

But it was great spectating.

Also, work on the Williams tutorial has begun. Don't know how long it'll take.

NICE!

Just something of note, I know you don't look at frames as much, so at least mention that in the beginning of your tutorial. You'll be doing a much more qualitative analysis rather than raw quantitative statements about frames, advantage/disadvantage/etc. I dunno, because of the way Aris and Rip been doing their tutorials along with Fab/Nap's streaming guides, they all go by the book and with frames. That's why I fear people might walk into yours expecting it to got he same way.

Or you could make your tutorial comprehensive and include the frames as well!

And I'm just gonna quote myself again to remind the 3 tri-state users in this forum ;)

Remember East Coast people, You only have less than a month to pre-register for both the big majors:

Toryuken - Road to EVO

Registration Ends ~April 30th. There is no onsite registration for this event. (You'll see me there)

East Coast Throwdown - Win a free trip to TFC

Pre-registration Ends May 4th. The registration price will jump to $45 after that day.

looking forawrd to grad school being on break for the summer to get back into this

though before school is out my school is having a TTT2 tournament... I met one player already who kicked my ass in the past but I want to enter and see how good I do

http://www.gatorgaming.com/

Awesome! Can't wait to play some of you guys again :) Another really good Gaffer at Tekken back in T6 was AdroitOne. Don't know where he disappeared off to :(

Good games everyone. It's been awhile since I've been in a lobby and I had a lot of fun. Now, fuck blue ass True Orge at Arena stage where I can't see shit and Fuck Skillpachi and his dumbass d/f+2 ;) Shoutouts to Kadey and the chat. Mannybigz was posting some good info. The chat is great cause its like having a friend/coach right there telling you what you did wrong/right etc. Gotta start playing more with you guys so I can get better.

Sayah

NICE!

Just something of note, I know you don't look at frames as much, so at least mention that in the beginning of your tutorial. You'll be doing a much more qualitative analysis rather than raw quantitative statements about frames, advantage/disadvantage/etc. I dunno, because of the way Aris and Rip been doing their tutorials along with Fab/Nap's streaming guides, they all go by the book and with frames. That's why I fear people might walk into yours expecting it to got he same way.

Or you could make your tutorial comprehensive and include the frames as well!

And I'm just gonna quote myself again to remind the 3 tri-state users in this forum ;)

I probably won't discuss frames. One, because I don't study frame data myself and also, two, because I think some people hold this preconceived notion that memorizing frames is a requirement to playing well in Tekken and that just scares them away. Overtime, I've just learned the properties of moves and have come to know which ones are punishable with which moves without ever having a frame bible.

Thanks for advice, though. You're busy AAK but I will definitely need you to look it over
please
before it becomes finalized as a tutorial. :)

Edit: Also, there was another tournament in the east coast you had listed. I think it was in NY. I might go to it if I'm free but I already forgot what it was.

Manbig

Good games everyone. It's been awhile since I've been in a lobby and I had a lot of fun. Now, fuck blue ass True Orge at Arena stage where I can't see shit and Fuck Skillpachi and his dumbass d/f+2 ;) Shoutouts to Kadey and the chat. Mannybigz was posting some good info. The chat is great cause its like having a friend/coach right there telling you what you did wrong/right etc. Gotta start playing more with you guys so I can get better.

You're welcome. :)

That's pretty much my intent in spamming up the chat with that stuff. I'm no pro by any means, but I'm always open to share the things that I do know and what I feel is good advice.

GGs to everyone tonight!

I probably won't discuss frames. One, because I don't study frame data myself and also, two, because I think some people hold this preconceived notion that memorizing frames is a requirement to playing well in Tekken and that just scares them away. Overtime, I've just learned the properties of moves and have come to know which ones are punishable with which moves without ever having a frame bible.

Thanks for advice, though. You're busy AAK but I will definitely need you to look it over
please

Edit: Also, there was another tournament in the east coast you had listed. I think it was in NY. I might go to it if I'm free but I already forgot what it was.

This is true to an extent. One of our NYC players, Azee (Rampage), is a very good player without ever really studying frame data. He just has very good instincts and very solid reflexes to punish whiffs. Thing is, you will eventually hit a wall in match ups and might fall on bad habits due to lack of knowledge on the frame end. This is the wall he has hit now and he's slowly learning how to close that gap now. If you want to be consistent, knowing some general frame data is great. Just treat it like learning a new character's move set. Know the frames for the key moves, and save the rest for later so you don't get overwhelmed.

At times I can't tell who wins at being the scrubber Mishima, Jinpachi or Lars.

Sayah

That's pretty much my intent in spamming up the chat with that stuff. I'm no pro by any means, but I'm always open to share the things that I do know and what I feel is good advice.

GGs to everyone tonight!

You're not spamming. Your advice is great.

GGs to everyone tonight!

Trust me man its a big help. My mind just goes blank during matches and its really frustrating. So when someone is like "yo thats launch punishable, or that string is duckable, sidestepable, etc" its really heplful and I can at least try to retain that info during the next rounds or matches. I just have to find a way to pound this stuff into my head so I don't forget. Nothing worse then spending hours in practice mode working on your punishing, knowing what strings you can duck/interrupt, knowing whats safe, and when not to push buttons only for it to go out the door when it matters most.

I forgot how much fun Ganryu is. Dat wall ender has to be the most satisfying move in the game. Makes me sad that he's always been rock bottom in terms of usage stats. :(

Pachimari

Boutdown, are you using Marshall Law? And are you from Europe?

Because I can't decide on a secondary character so instead I have decided to dedicate all of my time to Forest Law only. So I'll probably be a single-character player for some time until I feel I'm actually in control of all the moves I'm doing.

I just need a good launcher and juggle.

And I'm a silent player as I don't have a headset for my PS3.

AAK

Are people in this thread silent players or vocal?

Oh man, when I play in offline sessions, I vent out in frustration like a madman. I would just turn to my opponnet and say "What the hell were you thinking, who does that!?" If my mic is turned on, you'll hear an angry brown man give you an earful. LOL. BUT that's in casuals. In tournament, I'm so nervous I can't even articulate a sentence from my mouth... even though I want to.

please

I'd be honored to.

I should be free after wednesday. I'm gonna go hardcore on this game!

And Sayah/Manny, I was mistaken, it's not gonna be in New York, it's happening in New Jersey:

ECT May 18-19
Hyatt Morristown
3 Speedwell Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960

Dereck

Boutdown, are you using Marshall Law? And are you from Europe?
I switch out between Marshall and Forest Law in Player Matches, I play with both. I'm from USA though.

Because I can't decide on a secondary character so instead I have decided to dedicate all of my time to Forest Law only. So I'll probably be a single-character player for some time until I feel I'm actually in control of all the moves I'm doing.

I just need a good launcher and juggle.

And I'm a silent player as I don't have a headset for my PS3.
Need a partner for Forest Law, how about, Marshall Law?

I think you should watch some of my matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvYuzCSQtGw&feature=share&list=PLNKOehzwUirly7ihp2wIywrU8wTtaWfni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVS0MnjC1fA&feature=share&list=PLNKOehzwUirly7ihp2wIywrU8wTtaWfni

Simple Forest juggle, df+2, 2, b2,2, ff+2, 1,3

Anastacio when you see me online we should practice.

Degen

locally? I'm pretty vocal when I'm winning lol

as soon as I get launched I make what Kevin Hart called the you-ate-ass face

2E4AZHL.gif

I forgot how much fun Ganryu is. Dat wall ender has to be the most satisfying move in the game. Makes me sad that he's always been rock bottom in terms of usage stats. :(
he might be the next character I pick up, seriously. I like not relying on juggles to do good damage

still remember the first time I got tagged with rage mode counter-hit b+1,1,1... ouch

Sayah

I'd be honored to.

I should be free after wednesday. I'm gonna go hardcore on this game!

And Sayah/Manny, I was mistaken, it's not gonna be in New York, it's happening in New Jersey:

ECT May 18-19
Hyatt Morristown
3 Speedwell Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960

aaaaaah.... I really want to go to this but I'm not 100% certain if I can.

I'm usually very silent. Though, severe beatdowns will make me very frustrated. I still won't be vocal but my head will be in agony.
This is true to an extent. One of our NYC players, Azee (Rampage), is a very good player without ever really studying frame data. He just has very good instincts and very solid reflexes to punish whiffs. Thing is, you will eventually hit a wall in match ups and might fall on bad habits due to lack of knowledge on the frame end. This is the wall he has hit now and he's slowly learning how to close that gap now. If you want to be consistent, knowing some general frame data is great. Just treat it like learning a new character's move set. Know the frames for the key moves, and save the rest for later so you don't get overwhelmed.

Knowing frame data for some common moves is definitely helpful in the long run. But I think it would also sour my tekken play experience. It almost becomes homework and somewhat of a chore. Though, props to those that do learn and memorize frames and have fun doing it. I just know I'm not the type of person who will.

I hold a similar stance with trophies/achievements. A lot of people get enjoyment out of being challenged and working hours on that one gold trophy. For me, I tried that approach and it similarly becomes a chore and sucks the fun out of a gameplay experience.

Again, no disrespect to those that like unlocking trophies or memorizing frames. Just different tastes/preferences, I guess.

AAK

Word online is that Mr. Taxi is no longer going to compete in games.

Sad day indeed. He really is one of the most entertaining offensive players in North America.

aaaaaah.... I really want to go to this but I'm not 100% certain if I can.

Don't forget, JDCR will be there! You might get the opportunity to play the greatest Tekken player in the world. Opportunities like this don't come everyday ;)

Sayah

Kadey, if you got the time, I want your music opinion on the following tracks:

Mediks ft. Astronaut - Blown Away

The Dean's List - Dear Professor (If I Die Young) Remix

Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire

No More Heroes - Pleather for Breakfast

Genki Rockets - Heavenly Star

Word online is that Mr. Taxi is no longer going to compete in games.

Sad day indeed. He really is one of the most entertaining offensive players in North America.

What? noooooooooooo. His anna is very legit and he's one of the very few anna players that I see in offline competitive play. Why is he quitting?

Don't forget, JDCR will be there! You might get the opportunity to play the greatest Tekken player in the world. Opportunities like this don't come everyday ;)

Alright, man. I'm gonna try my best. The commute isn't a big problem. It's not too far. But I know I'm gonna be busy in May.

It's Sunday afternoon and there is NOBODY online in ranked or player match :/ the hell.

It's 2 a.m. here.

Afternoons are not that busy. Evenings/Late evenings are the times it becomes very active.

AAK

What? noooooooooooo. His anna is very legit and he's one of the very few anna players that I see in offline competitive play. Why is he quitting?

I'm actually not sure, I was watching Fab's archive of his stream, he said something about Mr. Taxi no longer coming out to tournaments. No reasons were given. Fab was really disappointed :(. Maybe it's school, maybe it's career, maybe it's the money, maybe he doesn't feel like it's worth the effort, I have no idea. But I'm sure he'll still plays online and stuff.

he might be the next character I pick up, seriously. I like not relying on juggles to do good damage

still remember the first time I got tagged with rage mode counter-hit b+1,1,1... ouch

I hit that string in solo mode earlier. I think it took around 60% :lol

It's 2 a.m. here.

Afternoons are not that busy. Evenings/Late evenings are the times it becomes very active.

As soon as I submit that post I got an influx of matches :p

You only play on XBL right?

Nah, PSN. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be in here crying about losing all the time.

Top Bottom