• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

MikeMyers

I took a break after Tekken 5. Tekken has always been a system seller for me but I never got a PSP for T5DR. Then, I came back to the party with T6. And now that I've gotten myself more heavily invested into the gameplay and the series in general, I don't see myself quitting. Unless TKXSF and T7 both mess up in a really big way.

Pretty much, Tekken is usually the game I play most.

I got a PS1 in 1997 from Toys R Us and Tekken 2 came with it.

I got a PS2 in 2002 for T4...and DBZ Budokai 1 ahaha. Couldn't afford it when TTT1 came out.

I got a PS3 in 2009 for T6, I couldn't afford it for T5 DR.

Sayah

Pretty much, Tekken is usually the game I play most.

I got a PS1 in 1997 from Toys R Us and Tekken 2 came with it.

I got a PS2 in 2002 for T4...and DBZ Budokai 1 ahaha. Couldn't afford it when TTT1 came out.

I got a PS3 in 2009 for T6, I couldn't afford it for T5 DR.

Haha, that's pretty much me.

First got PS1 and Tekken 3 which is where I originally fell in love with the series.

Then got PS2 and TTT1 together, then T4 and T5.

Then PS3 for T6.

Still haven't played T5DR to this day, though.

Similar story with Nintendo consoles except we're replacing Tekken with Smash Bros.

MikeMyers

Haha, that's pretty much me.

First got PS1 and Tekken 3 which is where I originally fell in love with the series.

Then got PS2 and TTT1 together, then T4 and T5.

Then PS3 for T6.

Still haven't played T5DR to this day, though.

Similar story with Nintendo consoles except we're replacing Tekken with Smash Bros.
I haven't played T5 DR either.

Neither do I own any Nintendo consoles, I bought their handelds just for Pokemon though. But now that I am older I have less time for video games, so its mostly just Tekken.

Manbig

As much as people whine about the damage now, DR was crazy. Low pokes were super risky because you would eat full launch off of low parry. And don't even get me started on the damn 8f CH launchers...

MikeMyers

As much as people whine abut the damage now, DR was crazy. Low pokes were super risky because you would eat full launch off of low parry. And don't even get me started on the damn 8f CH launchers...

I remember being able to do >50% combos in Tekken 1 when I was like 5.

That game was the real broken one.

DEATH™

As much as people whine about the damage now, DR was crazy. Low pokes were super risky because you would eat full launch off of low parry. And don't even get me started on the damn 8f CH launchers...

That's what I don't get with DR fanboys who complain about T6 and Tag2 juggles. Also, DR damage is just as nasty with fewer hits and less chance of screwing up.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm looking at ranked replays just to test my capture and I see a set of matches between two morons boosting. luTheDgaY and gofor777_. With all the matches I watched, it's just of them beating on the other without retaliation until the match is over. And for the characters they were using, they were True Tekken Gods. I don't see the point of it. Nobody really cares about your stats if you can't prove it in actual battle.

DEATH™

I'm looking at ranked replays just to test my capture and I see a set of matches between two morons boosting. luTheDgaY and gofor777_. With all the matches I watched, it's just of them beating on the other without retaliation until the match is over. And for the characters they were using, they were True Tekken Gods. I don't see the point of it. Nobody really cares about your stats if you can't prove it in actual battle.

Tekken players excel in something, including how to tank. Kappa

In all Seriousness, let them be. Its their loss. Its probably kids thinking that high rank =awesome. They can do that when they have all the time in the world. Thats always how online works...

Yeah, I was looking for some high ranked player matches with a few characters and noticed the high ranked players were letting each other win the rounds without putting up a fight. What's the point in being a Tekken Lord if you play like a 9th Kyu when you fight someone online? Everyone with even an iota of Tekken knowledge is going to assume or know that you cheated to obtain that rank lol.

I think Tekken 5: DR was one of the best entries in the entire franchise. I do not know how much it cost now and it might feel barebones compared to Tekken 6 and TTT2 now, but it is still very sold imo. Yeah obviously, it isn't on par with Tekken 6 or TTT2, but it's still very solid considering how old the game is. I played it the other day with a friend online and we actually had fun with it.

I own and started out with Tekken 1, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 3, Tekken 4, Tekken 5, Tekken 5: DR, Tekken 6 and now Tekken Tag 2 and it wasn't until late in Tekken 6's life when I decided to get serious about Tekken finally lol.

DEATH™;52601022 said:
That's what I don't get with DR fanboys who complain about T6 and Tag2 juggles. Also, DR damage is just as nasty with fewer hits and less chance of screwing up.

Yeah, I agree with you and I wonder sometimes if it has more to do with the combos doing nasty damage and lasting a while in TTT2. Tekken 5 combos were quite a bit shorter to my knowledge, but still caused heavy damage. Then again, these are probably some of the same people for some peculiar reason who are infatuated with UMVC3's infinite combos, but cannot tolerate a combo taking off 60% damage or lasting a few seconds in TTT2.

Sayah

Oh look, they're missing in the blacklist. You might have found new champions that have gone unnoticed.

Namco may have been the only company that seriously tried to get rid of boosters. And they initially did ban several of them. But the same people just came back with new usernames.

Yeah, I agree with you and I wonder sometimes if it has more to do with the combos doing nasty damage and lasting a while in TTT2. Tekken 5 combos were quite a bit shorter to my knowledge, but still caused heavy damage. Then again, these are probably some of the same people for some peculiar reason who are infatuated with UMVC3's infinite combos, but cannot tolerate a combo taking off 60% damage or lasting a few seconds in TTT2.

Yeah, there's a camp of players that wish bound didn't exist. I don't know why. Tekken 6 introduced bounds and TTT2 evolved them further. We wouldn't have tag assaults without bounds.

DR is a really good game if you ignore how cheap Devil Jin and Julia were. lol at juggle off a hellsweep, and 50/50 wall game. You didn't really have much life to work with too.

DEATH™

DR is a really good game if you ignore how cheap Devil Jin and Julia were. lol at juggle off a hellsweep, and 50/50 wall game. You didn't really have much life to work with too.

Not to metion the elbow juggle. I would never understand why noobs say DR juggles are fine when you got a braindead juggles consisting of one move that will bring you from wall to wall. At least Nina iWS1 combos were hard to do. I'm happy about Julia's change because the elbow stigma is gone now.

TBH I think Harada struck gold in TTT2. All the tag mechanics make sense. I really wish there's a tag/solo option on T7 cause I cant see myself playing solo again.

Heya Tekken GAF! I feel like I'm finally ready to start playing people...well as ready as I'll ever be I guess. I definitely need to kick some bad habits from fighting the AI though...

My PSN name is the same as my GAF name, and if you want voice chat, that's cool too. Let me know!

Sayah

Heya Tekken GAF! I feel like I'm finally ready to start playing people...well as ready as I'll ever be I guess. I definitely need to kick some bad habits from fighting the AI though...

My PSN name is the same as my GAF name, and if you want voice chat, that's cool too. Let me know!

Hey. We're always doing lobby's and stuff. I'll add you when I get on again.

DEATH™;52642269 said:
Not to metion the elbow juggle. I would never understand why noobs say DR juggles are fine when you got a braindead juggles consisting of one move that will bring you from wall to wall. At least Nina iWS1 combos were hard to do. I'm happy about Julia's change because the elbow stigma is gone now.

TBH I think Harada struck gold in TTT2. All the tag mechanics make sense. I really wish there's a tag/solo option on T7 cause I cant see myself playing solo again.

As much as I love TTT2, I do not want more tag games and I'm hoping TKXSF is solo.

Doomshine

Tekken Card Tournament has launched so I decided to try it out.

Not a terrible distraction considering it's free and I'm not going to play it enough to feel like I have to spend real money it. It was surprisingly addictive. I used to play Magic so the card collecting aspect appeals to me.

Man the norcalregionals schedule is all fucked up for Tekken.

BG9jnDdCUAEc-g3.jpg:large

Shoutouts to Tekken Finals at 10am on saturday. Alot of socal players wont be making it cause of the tourney starting on friday since they can't get off work and make it in time, etc. Even Final Round (which was way bigger) was able to get pools, semis, and finals in 2 days. Friday was just for teams and curley mustache. I doubt even norcal tekken is gonna show up for this shit.

DEATH™

Degen and DEATH, trolled the fuck outta me with those running tackles.

That was fun as hell though.

GGs boutdown and Hopkick

I keep saying I should stick to one main team but it's never gonna happen lol

Ggs

Boutdown, do you actually try to escape multis? Lololol

And darn I hate fighting against fat ogre. Thanks Degen :mad:

I feel kinda the same, but kinda different too. I've always preferred the KoF way over dynamic tag types.

If harada can make team battles not load in between, that would be really fun...

Doomshine

Shoutouts to Tekken Finals at 10am on saturday. Alot of socal players wont be making it cause of the tourney starting on friday since they can't get off work and make it in time, etc. Even Final Round (which was way bigger) was able to get pools, semis, and finals in 2 days. Friday was just for teams and curley mustache. I doubt even norcal tekken is gonna show up for this shit.

Almost seems like a slap in the face after Final Round. Divekick finals over Tekken?

DEATH™

What the? That schedule is mad disrespectful. I bet there wont be any stream time in tekken as well...

Almost seems like a slap in the face after Final Round. Divekick finals over Tekken?

Precisely. I was even going to enter but now I dont know. I'm no TO but I'm sure they could move Tekken over to Saturday at 6pm and Tekken Finals to 10am on Sunday. At least that way you give a chance for more players to show up.

AAK

I'm not one to care all that much about logistics. I can play Tekken anywhere, anytime.The finals being on Saturday morning is super weird though. But the complaint about some pools playing in Friday doesn't make sense to me. It looks like all games are having pools on Friday, why should Tekken be the special one to start Saturday?

I'm not one to care all that much about logistics. I can play Tekken anywhere, anytime.The finals being on Saturday morning is super weird though. But the complaint about some pools playing in Friday doesn't make sense to me. It looks like all games are having pools on Friday, why should Tekken be the special one to start Saturday?

I've mostly been following what the tekken scene's thoughts are but it looks like the general consensus is that NCR shouldnt even be 3 days to begin with. Do we really need 3 days for Marvel, SFIV, and SFxTK? I think the complaint for Tekken is that according to the schedule its only gonna take 2 days. So why not just have Tekken pools on Sat and finals on Sunday like most tournaments. You can at the very least expect a bigger turnout by having it on the weekend. Tekken already draws less numbers than the big capcom games and this schedule really isnt helping. Nobody is gonna want to have to miss a day of work/school and travel to a tourney if the number of players and payout arent gonna be that big.

https://twitter.com/reepal/status/319614328967929856

AAK

I think the complaint for Tekken is that according to the schedule its only gonna take 2 days. So why not just have Tekken pools on Sat and finals on Sunday like most tournaments. You can at the very least expect a bigger turnout by having it on the weekend.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. And to look at Aris's reaction (from WNF)

754116973.gif

Is there a reliable way to SS into the foreground after performing a move that leaves you in crouch? I've tried crouch cancelling but either it's hard to do and I suck or it doesn't work.

Dereck

Is there a reliable way to SS into the foreground after performing a move that leaves you in crouch? I've tried crouch cancelling but either it's hard to do and I suck or it doesn't work.
I kind of understand the question but I don't. You confused me with "into the foreground".

Dereck

I'm not sure, I would have to see what you're talking about in game.

Do you have XBL? Maybe we can practice tomorrow on PS3 and just talk over XBL.

AAK

Ahahahahahaah poor guy. AO put on Alisa cosplay when he was over there in Taiwan with Bancho, Nobi and Harada. I've recorded the live stream version of that if you want to see here.

Oh my.... Nobi ... where are you putting your hand! And they let that guy be the judge of a bunch of teenage aspiring Jpop idos.

That's a very good question. And the truth is, you're right, you have to crouch cancel first before initiating the sidestep. However, even if you do a one frame crouch cancel directly into a sidewalk (if it is even possible) you can never sidestep from crouch into the foreground like you can the background for that very reason. It is just part of the way the system is for Tekken unfortunately.

Xevren

I'm doing alright learning the game. Felt pretty good with Zafina and wanted to start to learn a second. Was always a fan of playing as Julia so I went with Jaycee, overall I'm doing alright though I do have one issue. For whatever reason, I have a hell of a team doing her d,df 1~3 but only within juggles. Have a feeling I'll just need to practice more. I can do that whenever I want easily, but within a juggle? Hell no.

It's been a fun learning experience thus far. Just have to shake some of my VF habits when I play this heh.

Manbig

That's a very good question. And the truth is, you're right, you have to crouch cancel first before initiating the sidestep. However, even if you do a one frame crouch cancel directly into a sidewalk (if it is even possible) you can never sidestep from crouch into the foreground like you can the background for that very reason. It is just part of the way the system is for Tekken unfortunately.

This is actually a very important note for certain match ups. If you force the opponent into crouch with a frame advantage (or they use a move to do this to themselves), you eliminate one direction that they can sidestep in. Certain characters can take better advantage of this than others. Unfortunately, I can't think of an example off the top of my head. I think Lei has one when he's on the 1P side though?

I'm doing alright learning the game. Felt pretty good with Zafina and wanted to start to learn a second. Was always a fan of playing as Julia so I went with Jaycee, overall I'm doing alright though I do have one issue. For whatever reason, I have a hell of a team doing her d,df 1~3 but only within juggles. Have a feeling I'll just need to practice more. I can do that whenever I want easily, but within a juggle? Hell no.

It's been a fun learning experience thus far. Just have to shake some of my VF habits when I play this heh.

After having finally given VF a chance with VF5FS, I can honestly say that coming from that game to this one is very rough. A lot of stuff in VF's mechanics sorta make more sense to me. For example, the way move exchanges that connect on the same frame work in VF do not apply in Tekken. In VF, the higher damage move wins. In Tekken, you just exchange hits, but no counter hit properties are applied. This can cause some unique situations depending on the hit animation of the moves though. Perfect example is the Jin standing 4 exchange giving him a free d3+4 like I mentioned earlier.

Another big difference is Tekken's lack of elbow class moves. In VF, the holy trinity is pretty much jab, elbow, and throw. Jab on block sets up CH elbow. CH elbow sets up unduckable throw attempt that can only be beaten by abare. Tekken lacking this universal "elbow" mechanic makes the flow of offense work VERY different from VF. The closest thing you have is a d/f1 poke that less than half the cast have. Not only that, but they tend to have different properties depending on the character. Currently, Lee has the best variation of this poke. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Julia and Zafina to know what their go to mid pokes are. My guess for Julia though is elbow?

Lastly, the throw breaking. There is no abare through throws in Tekken outside of high crushes. Add the fact that most good players break a large portion of throws and you have a very sketchy throw system. A few characters break the throw breaking rules though. Like King, A. King, Roger Jr. and Alex with Giant Swing, but outside of that, the most consistent way to use throws, is to attempt to grab people out of moves. This is why you can use 1+2 break throws as keep out. Most people close the distance with moves that don't involve pressing both jabs, so if you grab them out of a move where they pressed one or the other, the game forces them to commit to that break input and will not allow them to press the proper input afterwards.

Hope this info helps you out. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Sayah

Treat Julia's d,df 1 like a qcf attack. That's what I do at least. I used to have trouble with it too before. qcf+1 usually leads to that move.

Top Bottom