• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The new Avermedia.

Chun is one of my favorite characters but she's more of a stand back and poke type, I like rushing down and going for combos.

DEATH™

Oh, wow. Sayah's in the top ten(#7) highest ranked Anna players!

So, that means Sayah's boosting??? Shame on you Sayah
Kappa.png

akaoni

Banned
f99TJFm.jpg

So like, I bought this game for the 3rd time and I'm now enjoying Tekken as a whole. Been around the block casually with a few fighting games while failing to get invested in each one for 4 years and ended up with my most hated, the irony.

Is there any widespread button layouts people use? I can't do claw grip very well, and certain characters require fast button transitions that are too fast for thumb presses. Tested L1R1 for punches and it makes things feel a lot more fluid, so I'm curious if there's a GO-TO config. I do have a Hit box I can use but I'm rubbish with it, I need dpad/analog stick movement.

Hope my casual ass isn't too late for this game.

DEATH™

f99TJFm.jpg

So like, I bought this game for the 3rd time and I'm now enjoying Tekken as a whole. Been around the block casually with a few fighting games while failing to get invested in each one for 4 years and ended up with my most hated, the irony.

Is there any widespread button layouts people use? I can't do claw grip very well, and certain characters require fast button transitions that are too fast for thumb presses. Tested L1R1 for punches and it makes things feel a lot more fluid, so I'm curious if there's a GO-TO config. I do have a Hit box I can use but I'm rubbish with it, I need dpad/analog stick movement.

Stick with the hitbox bro... trust me you'll be better off with it... Or if you can, use a regular stick... but that's when you get farther along...

In general, we DISCOURAGE button binding (cause button binding removes a big part of execution skill which gives some characters with high execution requirements advantage, not to mention remove human error from fights, which is basically part of this game), but at the same time, doing claw sucks, that's my motivation to buy a stick finally, and it paid off big time since you can easily do button buffer commands and it's easier to do quick inputs with less percent of error compared to dpad, especially sanwa. Since you already have a hitbox, you should be using that... Keyboard-like dpad aside, you shouldn't have much problems using the hitbox in a 5-button game.

Also, we all start at the beginning, don't get too discourage at your losses...

As I can see, you're using the changs, I just picked them up and practicing stuff when I have time. Just a tip, you gotta practice your shotgun (d~df+1) and iWR (triple tap f) moves. Both of them got strong moves out of iWR, and hitbox would give you great advantage in that term...

I don't have any tips for controller layout but I belive most people use the standard layout on the face and configure the triggers to whatever button bindings they need (plus tag). As for online, there are still plenty of low level players around, but it'll still be tough to fight against them starting out because they will spam the hell out of you with strings that you have to learn to deal with.

Didn't know I was on wtf.tekken.com as well, never registered there iirc.

http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/xbox/2533274797550860

edit: ah, everyone's there...

Yup you can't hide. Which is awful really cause I think this kind of public stats for everyone to see makes people way too nervous playing online and self conscious about their record.

Well at least the arcade version lets you hide your record. Funnily enough.

Nyx

Yup you can't hide. Which is awful really cause I think this kind of public stats for everyone to see makes people way too nervous playing online and self conscious about their record.

Well at least the arcade version lets you hide your record. Funnily enough.

People should stop caring about their record imo.
Only if you're a ''pro'' it matters, but 98% of the playerbase isn't.

On the other hand, winning is the most fun though haha.

Sayah

Oh, wow. Sayah's in the top ten(#7) highest ranked Anna players!

I got demoted yesterday so probably not there any longer. But I'm not worrying about it. Especially when the person in the #1 spot is a booster.

Sayah is in the top 100 most games played in ranked also.

Wow. I'm sure AAK is there too.

People should stop caring about their record imo.
Only if you're a ''pro'' it matters, but 98% of the playerbase isn't.

On the other hand, winning is the most fun though haha.

Seriously. So many people think they'll be judged by their rank/win/loss ratio. Mannybiggz will deceive you if you judge him by his dan rank.

Unless you're doing like really really really terrible as in not moving past kyu ranks after playing thousands of matches, you probably then just need to reevaluate how you are training and learning this game. Mostly just use the ranking matches to better yourself and gain competition and matchup experience. Statistics should be secondary or tertiary concerns. Stats can help you look at what you're doing and how you're doing but people delve on them too much. Still try your best to win and learn along the way. But if you lose, it's not a complete loss. There's probably something that happened in that match that you could learn from. I.E. your opponent may have abused something you didn't know how to counter. Go into practice and learn how to counter it. Next time you come across that tactic, you'll know what to do. Most important thing is to learn how to punish and counter the moves that give you the most problem from any specific character. Losing is how you get better.

Dereck

Grand Master was my goal, anything beyond that is extra.

I'm 41% overall, but 50% even with my main team. That's very good to me.

People can't expect a %50+ w/l ratio right off the bat. When I started I won my first game, then lost 20 straight I think. It really makes you think about what you're doing wrong and how to approach things differently.

Losing is part of the game and will only make you better.

Unless you're doing like really really really terrible as in not moving past kyu ranks after playing thousands of matches, you probably then just need to reevaluate how you are training and learning this game. Mostly just use the ranking matches to better yourself and gain competition and matchup experience. Statistics should be secondary or tertiary concerns. Stats can help you look at what you're doing and how you're doing but people delve on them too much. Still try your best to win and learn along the way. But if you lose, it's not a complete loss. There's probably something that happened in that match that you could learn from. I.E. your opponent may have abused something you didn't know how to counter. Go into practice and learn how to counter it. Next time you come across that tactic, you'll know what to do. Most important thing is to learn how to punish and counter the moves that give you the most problem from any specific character. Losing is how you get better.

Definitely.

I lost twice to this solo Bruce player last night. Pretty badly too. The third time I faced him it was a demotion match and I managed to win without dropping a round. It was satisfying because I'd learned and played better, not because I defended my rank. I used to get mad, but now I take everything as a learning experience. Anyone is beatable if you lose to them enough.

akaoni

Banned
I has progress with the HitBox and I've switched over to Jun to get some cheese-wins because she's visually straightforward and can pick up damage when they're down - against lower skilled players of course. Have been confident enough to try tag now but can't decide on a partner. Michelle was without success, Lili can use gimmicks with easy damage but she's hard to follow, same as Christie. Still to try Kuni and Angel. Guess I need to jump into training and see how to pick up damage with them. So yeah, laming it out for the most part using characters I can get some gimmick damage with because I can't do all the fancy stuff, feels bad.

ieKT9Yk.jpg

ZTS

Banned
I has progress with the HitBox and I've switched over to Jun to get some cheese-wins because she's visually straightforward and can pick up damage when they're down - against lower skilled players of course. Have been confident enough to try tag now but can't decide on a partner. Michelle was without success, Lili can use gimmicks with easy damage but she's hard to follow, same as Christie. Still to try Kuni and Angel. Guess I need to jump into training and see how to pick up damage with them. So yeah, laming it out for the most part using characters I can get some gimmick damage with because I can't do all the fancy stuff, feels bad.

ieKT9Yk.jpg

Your character selection is too SQ If you stick with michelle and use a lot of shotgun you can begin to break the game down and learn.

LowParry

Kuni you'll have an easier time to learning. Most of her moves are combo friendly (like just about everything, I swear). Angel you might do alright, but then you're going to have to learn movement with a Mishima. Oh and Electrics :D But I say stick with Lili for now because she's a really solid character. If not, Anna has your number ;)

AAK

I'll be honest though, my rank for the amount of games I've played online sort of speak volumes about my skill haha. For the amount of time/work I had to put into this game my prowess in Tekken is kind of pathetic haha. 500 hrs and counting :)

I already had these so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Damn, it's not opening for me :( I get taken to the Canadian EBgames website lol.

ZTS, will you or any of the upstate crew be at Toryuken on May 4-5? I know the Buffalo guys are coming.

ZTS

Banned
I'll be honest though, my rank for the amount of games I've played online sort of speak volumes about my skill haha. For the amount of time/work I had to put into this game my prowess in Tekken is kind of pathetic haha. 500 hrs and counting :)

Damn, it's not opening for me :( I get taken to the Canadian EBgames website lol.

ZTS, will you or any of the upstate crew be at Toryuken on May 4-5? I know the Buffalo guys are coming.

Yes we are planning on coming and taking all your EVO seed points. However I'm working on getting my papers together to cross. Hopefully they will be ready in time.

AAK

I know Russel, never heard of Teevo.

First name is Raymond, lean and well built black guy with straight hair with a very soft voice. Also one of Toronto's best VF (plays Vanessa and Sarah) and DOA (Bass) player. He uses Marduk/Leo in TTT2.

ZTS

Banned
First name is Raymond, lean and well built black guy with straight hair with a very soft voice. Also one of Toronto's best VF (plays Vanessa and Sarah) and DOA (Bass) player. He uses Marduk/Leo in TTT2.

Who's the guy who OFDP keeps beating up every time he goes there?

AAK

OFDP didn't even lose a single match the whole tournament in the first Toryuken. So that would be everybody lol.

Grand Master was my goal, anything beyond that is extra.

I'm 41% overall, but 50% even with my main team. That's very good to me.

You know, I basically feel the same as you. I am happy that I reached Grand Master and if I go pass that, then great. If not, then that's fine also. I want or should I say hope that my skill level matches my rank and I do not want to approach Vanquisher rank playing like a Mentor or Master only. Then again, I beat people ranked higher than me all the time, but get beat by 3rd dans, kyu ranks and beginners at other times though, so imo rank doesn't necessarily amount to everything. Theres days where I feel like I am playing like my rank and some days where I just play careless trying to experiment. It seems like I can win 6 or 8 matches in a row on rank, but I do rarely get promotional matches. Probably got to adjust my search settings or something.

Seriously. So many people think they'll be judged by their rank/win/loss ratio. Mannybiggz will deceive you if you judge him by his dan rank.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I try to tell someone I know that stop worrying so much about your "illustrious" win/lose record online and just play to try to improve your skills and to have fun, yet I really feel they stopped playing TTT2 just because they feel like their admirable record was in.....jeopardy. I think that is playing a game for all the wrong reasons. Even the best players are going to suffer losses.........lots of losses. Obviously, everyone wants an admirable or spectacular record, but what good is it when you play TTT2 horrendously?

Dereck

You know, I basically feel the same as you. I am happy that I reached Grand Master and if I go pass that, then great. If not, then that's fine also. I want or should I say hope that my skill level matches my rank and I do not want to approach Vanquisher rank playing like a Mentor or Master only. Then again, I beat people ranked higher than me all the time, but get beat by 3rd dans, kyu ranks and beginners at other times though, so imo rank doesn't necessarily amount to everything. Theres days where I feel like I am playing like my rank and some days where I just play careless trying to experiment. It seems like I can win 6 or 8 matches in a row on rank, but I do rarely get promotional matches. Probably got to adjust my search settings or something.
Yeah, but online, around 6 dan is when people really get good. Grand Masters and low green ranks start punishing more, they don't just throw out shit. You can tell when a player is good or not, and this goes for the person you're playing against. He/she can tell if you're a good player as soon as the match starts if you start back dashing, and you don't even attack until think there is an opening. When I ranked up to Grand Master I really had to have patience, I watched my replays, and I was blown away by how patient I was playing. It's a lot different when I'm playing. I also noticed that, when I was playing, whenever I would get hit by something, I would tech roll, and go right back to back dashing.

Before, whenever I would tech roll from a heavy hit, I would instantly run and do a f,f,f,3 attack, with whoever I was playing with. With the help of AAK, dropkick, Degen, Sayah, Manbig, ElzaWalker basically all of TekkenGAF, I have learned to play more patiently. I feel like my Grand Master promotion wasn't just luck, I deserved that shit. That's the whole point, I made Disciple, and Mentor because I just got lucky and kept throwing out launch punishable moves until they landed. I was playing against AAK, and I remember one round I was about to die. Usually in this situation I would start throwing out Dragon Kicks, Dragon Tails, Slideys, all of that stupid shit that is so predictable especially at the end of the match. That's not what I did, I kept my patience, and just poked and fought it out like normal. I didn't win that round, but I got his health down pretty low before I died. That was remarkable to me. The growth of my skill in this game.

akaoni

Banned
Your character selection is too SQ If you stick with michelle and use a lot of shotgun you can begin to break the game down and learn.

I'm sticking with Michelle and Jun it seems, been trying other considerations in practice mode and they are too quick or stance dance, I'll still use them sometime if I ever feel like messing around. Plus I can switch with their daughters if I ever feel like spicing things up a little, I like them all though.

What do you mean by SQ?

I finally figured out what people were trying to tell me about using shotgun and d~DF1, seems to be pretty handy during clutch because the initial attack comes quickly.

I have read about wakeup options but I lost some games because I couldn't seem to do anything as I got low spammed while trying to get up, namely Dr trolling me with some sitting pose. How do I deal with that?

Nyx

I remember one round I was about to die. Usually in this situation I would start throwing out Dragon Kicks, Dragon Tails, Slideys, all of that stupid shit that is so predictable especially at the end of the match. That's not what I did, I kept my patience, and just poked and fought it out like normal. I didn't win that round, but I got his health down pretty low before I died. That was remarkable to me. The growth of my skill in this game.

This happens to me all the time.
Last night I had a game against someone with 1000s of online matches under his belt (while I have 140ish or something), and to my surprise I won the first two rounds.
Then this happened, I started spamming unsafe shit because I wanted to win so badly, only to lose 2-3 in the end. When I would have been patient this wouldn’t have happened.
I usually start with a sidestep btw, so many people go for a straight attack to begin with and this way I usually dodge it and can throw the opponent.

Think that if I become more patient and learn more juggles/tag-assaults I will end up at a higher rank fast.

Oh and is it just me or are people not used to fighting Kuni and Jun?
Sometimes it seems I surprise people with regular moves while it's not exactly pro or something what I do haha.

Dereck

Yep, I know that feel, there is no reason at all to do that. For all you know the opponent could whiff in the last 10 seconds, and there is your win.

Sometimes when I play player matches, I just don't want to play safe, it's too nerve racking to play safe all of the time. When in ranked though, safe all day.

Top Bottom