• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Nyx

Yep, I know that feel, there is no reason at all to do that. For all you know the opponent could whiff in the last 10 seconds, and there is your win.

Sometimes when I play player matches, I just don't want to play safe, it's too nerve racking to play safe all of the time. When in ranked though, safe all day.

I blame adrenaline!
Get so fired up when I'm on par with those kind of players.

AAK

Oh my Top 3??? I'll try.. but there are people going to Toryuken that I've already played previously and they owned me: Rami, TeeVo, OFDP, Mohammed, Renato, etc. I've never played Russell but I have no idea how to fight bears. I'll try my best but gosh @ those expectations :S

After watching KOR play in the Texas tournament, his style is so damn scary and Bob's tools are insanely felicitous for him. The way he uses Bob's SS+1+2 just makes me feel like there's nothing anyone can do about it. And I don't have the reactions either to duck Bob's b+2,2 strings unfortunately. And finally that circle is completed with Bob's d/b+3+4,3+4 that I can never see coming.

DEATH™

Oh my Top 3??? I'll try.. but there are people going to Toryuken that I've already played previously and they owned me: Rami, TeeVo, OFDP, Mohammed, Renato, etc. I've never played Russell but I have no idea how to fight bears. I'll try my best but gosh @ those expectations :S

You can hopkick most of bear options at HBS right?

And I'm gonna look for some vids of Neorussel somewhere... Yeah you gotta get top 3...

EDIT don't worry too much... Think of the bright side... Bob can't launch you at -15 standing AFAIK... spam hopkicks... You can take your chances... just don't get scared...

You know what, add CDDT-Reborn, he'll give you a Bob practice...

Manbig

So it looks like KOR is coming to Toronto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIbvz8XoxM

Oh GOD I hope I don't end up in his pool lol.

With that mentality, you're already losing. If Derrick Himself can beat him in tournament, I see no reason why you can't.

DEATH™;54442749 said:
You can hopkick most of bear options at HBS right?

And I'm gonna look for some vids of Neorussel somewhere... Yeah you gotta get top 3...

They have some incredibly evasive stuff in that stance that beats out a lot of moves. Pretty sure hopkick is among those moves

DEATH™

With that mentality, you're already losing. If Derrick Himself can beat him in tournament, I see no reason why you can't.

They have some incredibly evasive stuff in that stance that beats out a lot of moves. Pretty sure hopkick is among those moves

I thought mids with the likes of WS+4 and hopkicks would hit like how xiaoyu gets hit by those in AOP? or maybe King's hopknee is just awesome. I wanna test it out... Though I'm stuck doing school stuff...

Sayah

After watching KOR play in the Texas tournament, his style is so damn scary and Bob's tools are insanely felicitous for him. The way he uses Bob's SS+1+2 just makes me feel like there's nothing anyone can do about it. And I don't have the reactions either to duck Bob's b+2,2 strings unfortunately. And finally that circle is completed with Bob's d/b+3+4,3+4 that I can never see coming.

Surprise those people.

Head into practice right now and learn to duck and punish bob's b+2,2. I get a free WS 2 from Nina if I punish correctly. Nothing with Anna unfortunately.

Manbig

Bears can block during HBS I believe, so it's not like AOP from Ling.

i.e. Go wild lol.

If that's what it takes, sure. If you know the match up, approach it appropriately and forget about the person behind the controller. If you don't know the match up, get to studying while you still have time.

If all else fails, go fucking nuts.

AAK

I watched the matches that KOR lost to like the ones against JDCR and Anakin, the key difference was that both of them could out-backdash him. Because there honestly isn't anything you can do about Bob's d/f+1 ; SS+1+2 ; d/f+2 ; CD+1 etc. bob pressure. Just backdash your way out of them. That's what I think I gotta work on... but it's so hard :p

Sayah

Nina's u/f+1 is a lifesaver. So many times opponents will try to poke with lows and I'll just go above them and get a nice combo.

The slap used to go under high moves and give me a combo in T6 but that doesn't happen anymore. :/

Speaking of, has anyone played T6 since Tag 2 came out?

DEATH™

Speaking of, has anyone played T6 since Tag 2 came out?

tumblr_ma09u4b7Br1rvr013o1_400.gif

DEATH™

Yeah, I haven't played it even once.

I'll go back to T6 for offline vs. battles.......eventually.

Why? I mean Solo vs. Solo basically made Tekken 6 obsolete...

Speaking of solo, Reazin (twitch.tv/reazin) is making a Solo tourney this coming April 24... come over there if you miss some 1v1 action...

Sayah

DEATH™;54448755 said:
Why? I mean Solo vs. Solo basically made Tekken 6 obsolete...

I might pick solo. Most likely, my opponent will not.

1v2 matches? eeeeeeh.

Tekken 6 forces everyone to stay solo in case we ever get tired of tag stuff.

Manbig

I watched the matches that KOR lost to like the ones against JDCR and Anakin, the key difference was that both of them could out-backdash him. Because there honestly isn't anything you can do about Bob's d/f+1 ; SS+1+2 ; d/f+2 ; CD+1 etc. bob pressure. Just backdash your way out of them. That's what I think I gotta work on... but it's so hard :p

Tell me about it. That's what I meant by my earlier whine post. Too much time required to get good at this game and I'm just not willing to take that step. I have much respect for those who have though, because training up on that stuff makes the game anti-fun.

DEATH™

I might pick solo. Most likely, my opponent will not.

1v2 matches? eeeeeeh.

Tekken 6 forces everyone to stay solo in case we ever get tired of tag stuff.

I got an idea, let's all have a lobby once with only solo vs. solo... Just for giggles...

ZTS

Banned
I'm sticking with Michelle and Jun it seems, been trying other considerations in practice mode and they are too quick or stance dance, I'll still use them sometime if I ever feel like messing around. Plus I can switch with their daughters if I ever feel like spicing things up a little, I like them all though.

What do you mean by SQ?

I finally figured out what people were trying to tell me about using shotgun and d~DF1, seems to be pretty handy during clutch because the initial attack comes quickly.

I have read about wakeup options but I lost some games because I couldn't seem to do anything as I got low spammed while trying to get up, namely Dr trolling me with some sitting pose. How do I deal with that?

SQ means Spider Queen which is Upstate Tekken slang for playing fanboy anime weebo characters and being all about fanfictions and arguing about Tekken canon then actually playing the damn game. The name was inspired by the one guy who used to come to the arcade and then one day had this really awkward conversation with me about how he didn't know what to name his Asuka card(DR Kimono Alt Auska) at which point posed two names to me, Spider Queen or Black Widow.

Spider Queen Characters: Jun, Asuka, Lili, Kunimitsu, Miharu, Alisa, Ling, and sometimes JayCee depending.

Team Spider Queen: Jun Asuka

Anyway back on topic. You want to be using Shotgun all the time. It's your main source of offense with Michelle. Just follow this flow character right here.

First thing you need to know is shotgun spin is what you will be using 95% of the time so make sure you're not using a single shotgun without the spin.

Shotgun on Block Options:

-Block - always the best thing to do first to see what your opponent is going to do.

-Spin 1 - if you notice anyone is attacking after blocking shotgun with anything that's not a high crush or a i12 high this will tie or beat them out. It ls a counter hit launcher and is even on block +0. It is a high so it can be ducked and punished so be careful. Being at +0 is good for you.

-Spin 4, 1+2 - anything that would hit you out of Spin 1, will 99% of the time lose to Spin 4, 1+2. It's a knockdown low and it's launch punishable so be careful, this is kinda a high risk move but if you are confident with your read use it. However this move is unseeable and pretty much must be blocked to be beaten, because of this it can get people to commit to a duck.

-Option Select Low Parry into WS+3 - a bit of an advanced tactic but when want to take less risk and get some reward for assuming your opponent will counter Spin 1, this is the way to go. Just hold d/f for a split second, enter crouch, release and do a WS+3. If done correctly, you will low parry any low and duck under any high an punish with the ws+3.

-Hop Kick - when you know they are going to either low jab, go low, duck, or Side Step.

These last two are the most important though once you reach high level play

- Another Shotgun - once your opponent decides they don't want to risk attacking after Shotgun, you start doing multiple shotguns to bait them into attacking. You can do this after a blocked Spin 1 as well.

- d+3 or 4~2 - when you are pretty sure they are just going to stand there and you just want to get some damage in.

Shotgun on hit:

-Basically you can use all those same options but this time you are at advantage so take advantage of it. Force more mix ups.

- d/f+1, if you've masted the i13 ff+3 this is where it gets really nasty, mix up d+4 with d/f+1, if d/f+1 hits crouchers you get a free ff+3 which gives you a free run up d+1+2.

The idea behind shotgun is because it's an i11 mid from half screen you get to control the match. Use it to dictate the pace of the match and limit your opponents options. Michelle has a tool to deal with every situation after Shotgun on block or hit.

So it looks like KOR is coming to Toronto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIbvz8XoxM

Oh GOD I hope I don't end up in his pool lol.

Why would they do Pools? This tournament is probably not going to be big enough to do pools.

Manbig

SQ means Spider Queen which is Upstate Tekken slang for playing fanboy anime weebo characters and being all about fanfictions and arguing about Tekken canon then actually playing the damn game. The name was inspired by the one guy who used to come to the arcade and then one day had this really awkward conversation with me about how he didn't know what to name his Asuka card(DR Kimono Alt Auska) at which point posed two names to me, Spider Queen or Black Widow.

Spider Queen Characters: Jun, Asuka, Lili, Kunimitsu, Miharu, Alisa, Ling, and sometimes JayCee depending.

Anyway back on topic. You want to be using Shotgun all the time. It's your main source of offense with Michelle. Just follow this flow character right here.

First thing you need to know is shotgun spin is what you will be using 95% of the time so make sure you're not using a single shotgun without the spin.

Shotgun on Block Options:

-Block - always the best thing to do first to see what your opponent is going to do.

-Spin 1 - if you notice anyone is attacking after blocking shotgun with anything that's not a high crush or a i12 high this will tie or beat them out. It ls a counter hit launcher and is even on block +0. It is a high so it can be ducked and punished so be careful. Being at +0 is good for you.

-Spin 4, 1+2 - anything that would hit you out of Spin 1, will 99% of the time lose to Spin 4, 1+2. It's a knockdown low and it's launch punishable so be careful, this is kinda a high risk move but if you are confident with your read use it. However this move is unseeable and pretty much must be blocked to be beaten, because of this it can get people to commit to a duck.

-Option Select Low Parry into WS+3 - a bit of an advanced tactic but when want to take less risk and get some reward for assuming your opponent will counter Spin 1, this is the way to go. Just hold d/f for a split second, enter crouch, release and do a WS+3. If done correctly, you will low parry any low and duck under any high an punish with the ws+3.

-Hop Kick - when you know they are going to either low jab, go low, duck, or Side Step.

These last two are the most important though once you reach high level play

- Another Shotgun - once your opponent decides they don't want to risk attacking after Shotgun, you start doing multiple shotguns to bait them into attacking. You can do this after a blocked Spin 1 as well.

- d+3 or 4~2 - when you are pretty sure they are just going to stand there and you just want to get some damage in.

Shotgun on hit:

-Basically you can use all those same options but this time you are at advantage so take advantage of it. Force more mix ups.

- d/f+1, if you've masted the i13 ff+3 this is where it gets really nasty, mix up d+4 with d/f+1, if d/f+1 hits crouchers you get a free ff+3 which gives you a free run up d+1+2.

The idea behind shotgun is because it's an i11 mid from half screen you get to control the match. Use it to dictate the pace of the match and limit your opponents options. Michelle has a tool to deal with every situation after Shotgun on block or hit.

Or, you know, play whatever character you wanna play and fuck what anyone else thinks about it.

Outside of that, yeah. Shotgun is incredibly obnoxious to deal with. Despite the risk involved in guessing wrong vs people that know the match up, it's a super easymode way to establish a strong mix up that a lot of people (myself included) are bad at dealing with.

IMO, the only situation more obnoxious than shotgun is getting hit by Capo slide into relaxed stance and having to deal with that mix up.

MikeMyers

Something like this? School top, karate pants, long hair, long sideburns, wild front hair. A some other male characters have a school top and maybe better pants to use if Leo is no good. You could probably do something more accurate.

Nice, that looks good enough. Not much of a Leo fan but I made it for him.

ZTS

Banned
Or, you know, play whatever character you wanna play and fuck what anyone else thinks about it.

Outside of that, yeah. Shotgun is incredibly obnoxious to deal with. Despite the risk involved in guessing wrong vs people that know the match up, it's a super easymode way to establish a strong mix up that a lot of people (myself included) are bad at dealing with.

IMO, the only situation more obnoxious than shotgun is getting hit by Capo slide into relaxed stance and having to deal with that mix up.

You can play SQ character all you want but if you want to learn how to play the game you should pick a character that allows you to learn the game. No SQ characters do that.

Damn so I've been doing it wrong all this time. Be right back guys, I'm gonna go drop Jun so I can learn how to play this game properly.

So I'm watching a bunch of replays and all these stupid item moves are really starting to get to me. I cant believe the team spent time putting all these ridiculous items in the game when they could have used that time and effort to put better clothing options in =(

DEATH™

You can play SQ character all you want but if you want to learn how to play the game you should pick a character that allows you to learn the game. No SQ characters do that.

That's so "East-Coast" thinking bro... In that logic, Just Frame James suck...

AAK

Have to say I disagree with the notion that playing female characters don't let you learn the game. The only argument you have is about synergy with tag assaults but that is extremely selective. IMO Jun, Asuka, Lili are all very good entry level characters for people new to Tekken. Miharu and Xiaoyu are both some of the best anti-poke characters in the game. Julia is arguably the second best female character in the game after Nina. A Jun practitioner won a major for this game too so it is kind of ridiculous IMO to say that you aren't learning the game of Tekken by playing female characters.

Why would they do Pools? This tournament is probably not going to be big enough to do pools.

There were 32 people in the previous Toryuken for Tekken. We played 4 pools of 8 people. I expect them to do the same this time.

DEATH™

Damn so I've been doing it wrong all this time. Be right back guys, I'm gonna go drop Jun so I can learn how to play this game properly.

So I'm watching a bunch of replays and all these stupid item moves are really starting to get to me. I cant believe the team spent time putting all these ridiculous items in the game when they could have used that time and effort to put better clothing options in =(

They got no control over that though... You can only make the console handle as much...

I started dwelling in to learning 3D graphics and found out the costume parts (example, upper body and arms) in TTT2 were together in one mesh. If they were separate, it would require more bones for each item (bones is basically the joints that rotate/move in the model). They could get away with items since it doesn't need to bend when a body part of the model moves.

That's gonna be bothersome if you think about the PS3 processor already getting maxed out and online play needs to be less lag as possible...

Playing female characters doesn't help you learn the game? This is one of the oddest things I've ever heard in any fighting game community.

DEATH™;54531318 said:
They got no control over that though... You can only make the console handle as much...

I started dwelling in to learning 3D graphics and found out the costume parts (example, upper body and arms) in TTT2 were together in one mesh. If they were separate, it would require more bones for each item (bones is basically the joints that rotate/move in the model). They could get away with items since it doesn't need to bend when a body part of the model moves.

That's gonna be bothersome if you think about the PS3 processor already getting maxed out and online play needs to be less lag as possible...

I know about the limitations on the seperate body parts but I just want better stuff in general. Go ahead and group parts together as long as the stuff looks good. They spent time on animations for item moves that serve no purpose other than to troll imo. The resoruces and time spent on that could have went to more unique clothing for each character or actual real 2P outfits.

I'm just venting cause I saw so many ninja stars tossed, cake throws, and magic wands for one day. No clue why anyone thought it would be a good idea to include them in the game.

Nyx

Playing female characters doesn't help you learn the game? This is one of the oddest things I've ever heard in any fighting game community.

Seconded.
It would mean I haven't learned any fighter this gen.

C. Viper, Rose, Sindel, Kunimitsu, Jun, do you notice the pattern?

Degen

YESSS

wait, so you basically made a name for what the locals already thought? awesome

Have to say I disagree with the notion that playing female characters don't let you learn the game. The only argument you have is about synergy with tag assaults but that is extremely selective. IMO Jun, Asuka, Lili are all very good entry level characters for people new to Tekken. Miharu and Xiaoyu are both some of the best anti-poke characters in the game. Julia is arguably the second best female character in the game after Nina. A Jun practitioner won a major for this game too so it is kind of ridiculous IMO to say that you aren't learning the game of Tekken by playing female characters.
Well you could totally learn the game with them if you wanted to. But you won't because they are anime, so you're preoccupied with locating a body pillow of your character

Jeez these Jaycee players, always arguing about the story. It's a fighting game dude SMH

akaoni

Banned

Thanks for all that information, think I understood most of it, apart from what the 'I' means. I've gotten the hang of the shotguns, but mainly I end up spamming the 4 2 variant because it always catches people.

Feel like I shouldn't have asked about the spider queen thing, heh. I picked up the habit of female characters from playing MMORPGs (I.e. you pick the gender whose behind you'll like the look of after 200 hours) and fighting games in particular focus a great deal on character designs which plays a major part in why I like/buy them. I just happen to also read manga... And watch anime... And throw a hissy about the lack of Japanese audio tracks... I'll stop there while I go cry in the corner.

I still do reasonably well with shotguns but I don't have any major juggles or ground damage with Michelle and Jaycee. I could do much better with Jun or Asuka simply because the cartwheels get a ton of cheap damage. So yeah, need to learn that sort of stuff next but not sure how to do it, been spending more time in practice trying than anything else. I've checked online but generally the information you get is mostly overwhelming for me. Sorry for being a nuisance.

Manbig

DEATH™;54529266 said:
That's so "East-Coast" thinking bro... In that logic, Just Frame James suck...

That's not East Coast logic. That's Zero the Shadow logic.

The only bad habit Asuka/Jun can put on players is spamming strings and over-reliance on their nearly useless counter.

Outside of that, they have good tools to teach you poking and one of the best whiff punishers in the game. As long as you understand what is a gimmick and what isn't, there's no reason why you can't learn the game using these characters.

AAK

Yesterday, I hit the 720 hour mark playing this game. That's pretty much a month length of time... Why are you so addictive TTT2 :(

And that doesn't include the hours I've spent the game playing it on other people's PS3's during offline sessions and tournaments... Lord help me!

In other news, did anyone watch the CafeID league archives? That grand final between Sunchip and Saint was CRAZY. I've never seen anyone play as fearlessly and commandingly like Saint did while constantly dashing into Sunchip's face.

GrayFoxPL

In other news, did anyone watch the CafeID league archives? That grand final between Sunchip and Saint was CRAZY. I've never seen anyone play as fearlessly and commandingly like Saint did while constantly dashing into Sunchip's face.

link?

ZTS

Banned
Its not about the character being male or female. Its not about being anime. SQ is a mentality. Its two fold let me explain.

If your character is a SQ character it doesn't mean you are it just means your character that you like has a large amount of SQs that play them.

The problem that evolves from there however. Most SQ characters do not promote solid play and an enviroment to learn the game properly.

Lingmassacre who is probably the most famous Ling player and a good friend of mine famously said he never learned how to actually play Tekken until Tekken 6 because Ling as a character never taught him fundimentals.

I am not saying dont play the chatacters you like but THIS guy was im character crisis and learning how to plau the game. For his own sake I recommended what I thought was best for his progress. He has every right to ignore what I have suggested.

I personally really like Auska and Anna aesthetically but I would never play Asuka cause I hate the way she plays, while I do play Anna cause I like the way she plays.

Top Bottom