• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

It doesn't help that I'm very picky about characters, particularly how their moves land and how their combos connect. Thanks for the help though guys.

Yeah. If you stick to one team for a long time it can be awkward trying to adjust. But then sometimes characters just click right away. If Bob feels right to you, keep him.

Think I'm gonna get online now. Haven't played in almost a week. :D

Sayah

Here are the matches from today. HD quality options should be available within the next few mins. DEATH, Degen, IHaveCandy, take note. Might be helpful stuff in here for jaguar players.

My sidestepping, throw breaking, punishments and patience in general is really inferior. Working on that stuff right now.

Edit: Also my tekken tunes stuff is all over the place. Don't make fun of my music placement/options.

DEATH™;54992685 said:
I'm not used to seeing this thread down my subscription list... What things you all doing?

I've been sick since last week. I ventured into ranked for an admittedly stupid reason: I wanted to change the characters on my WTF page. I got to 2nd dan (although I missed the rank up :( ) Now that I accomplished that, I want to sit back and read up Tekken Zaibatsu when it comes to Yoshimitsu since I know I'm definitely not using him well at all.

Oh and Toryuken is coming up and I'm still deciding if it'd be cheaper to enter a game or just play casuals, haha.

Manbig

Here are the matches from today. HD quality options should be available within the next few mins. DEATH, Degen, IHaveCandy, take note. Might be helpful stuff in here for jaguar players.

My sidestepping, throw breaking, punishments and patience in general is really inferior. Working on that stuff right now.

Edit: Also my tekken tunes stuff is all over the place. Don't make fun of my music placement/options.

It's not just that stuff though. This calls back to when I was talking about the necessities of learning frame data. Very often you were attacking when you shouldn't have in those matches. If you REALLY want to keep up vs people like that, you're going to have to familiarize yourself with some frames. Otherwise, how else would you know when to attack/not to attack and what to attack with?

I've only watched about half, but here's a few other things I noticed.

Nina's u/f1 either got you whiff punished, or was blocked a majority of the time. This is a perfect example of a move that you shouldn't be attacking after it is blocked. I believe it's -6 on block, so every time you attack at all, you're asking for a counter hit. He was also sidestepping it a lot. Be a little more careful with this move.

Punish Armor King's Dark Upper on block with your jab punishment.

You have made a bit of a habit of using the Williams autopilot strings. People that don't know any better (like myself) might fall for that stuff, but the good players won't let you get away with it. Stay away from stuff like 4,3,4 and u/f4,3,4. That kind of thing WILL get you launched and is not very hard to punish at all.

AAK

Hey AnkiRendan, Rami should be coming from Montreal for Toryuken. He's probably the best Yoshimitsu in North America after JFJ. He'd be happy to show you a bunch of stuff about Yoshimitsu. He's also the guy that's putting a $200 bonus for the tournament from his pocket :)

Hopefully see you there!

AAK

Watched the Ft10 between Zzy and Sayah. Yeah, the throws were a problem, but breaking giant swings and iSW's online is really hard. I was really impressed with Zzy's sidewalking. He managed to get completely behind Sayah a number of times which is really impressive.

Tenative NorCal Regionals pools.
http://ncr11.challonge.com/ttt2_pool1
http://ncr11.challonge.com/ttt2_pool2

Maybe I should try to go. I'll have a great chance to actually win a match
via by lol

Wow, only 1 socal player and no Bronson or subrL. I think we're gonna get more people here in a Canadian tournament in 2 weeks compared to this major in Norcal. What happened? Norcal is the heart of the strong style tournaments, how did the community there die so fast?

GrayFoxPL

It is. I'm 21 years old.

Geezas, I'll be 30 soon.

Old Tekken GAF is like Heihachi old :(.

Need that youth potion.

Edit:
Saw the matches. I expected some kind of ownage, but those were really close.

Tag buffer those launchers more for red life damage and you'll own that guy next time.

Dereck

Speedkicks gets so much shit for his age, check the streams whenever his name is mentioned commentators go right to his age. Must admit though some of the jokes are so hyperbolic they are kind of funny.

I am 22.

yay! semester is coming to a close soon! wil play you guys more <3

I feel dumb but I never knew that Dragunov could transition into his QCF moves from f+3,df,(pretty much anything other than 3+4)... totally going to mess with people with it.

after the tournament a few weeks back I realize that I think my Jack game is alot better than my Dragunov... I usually dish out large damage with Jack, chip away (<3 you db+1), and fuck up all with Jack, then Dragunov comes in and I don't know what I do... I think I'm more offensive with Jack and defensive with Dragunov...?

AAK

24.6 years old. Old enough to not be able to react to Bob's b+2,2 or d/b+3+4,3+4. :(

Look forward to playing you some more Rolento :) It is understandable, Dragunov is a way harder character to use compared to Jack. I practice 3x more with Hwoarang compared to Julia, but my Julia is always the character that puts in the majority of the work just because she's significantly easier to use.

Deps

Wow, only 1 socal player and no Bronson or subrL. I think we're gonna get more people here in a Canadian tournament in 2 weeks compared to this major in Norcal. What happened? Norcal is the heart of the strong style tournaments, how did the community there die so fast?

It didn't die, just no one wants to support NCR. I was going to go from Ohio since tickets were super cheap, until I saw their schedule. I'm not going to a tournament where pools start at 10 am on Friday and Tekken finals are Saturday morning.

Manbig

From my understanding, people aren't too happy that NCR is 3 days, so they would have to take a day off from work to go. It's pretty much almost like a boycott from a lot of players.

Sayah

I am 20, but will be 21 next week.

oh. Happy early birthday.

Geezas, I'll be 30 soon.

Old Tekken GAF is like Heihachi old :(.

Need that youth potion.

Edit:
Saw the matches. I expected some kind of ownage, but those were really close.

Tag buffer those launchers more for red life damage and you'll own that guy next time.

It wasn't an ownage but I should have played a lot better I think. I need to learn to break those throws.

Also, yeah, I try to tag buffer whatever I can but don't always end up doing that.

Look at all the young'uns.

I'm about to turn 32.

GAF GEEZER

You kick ass with Chun-Li so it's okay.

Watched the Ft10 between Zzy and Sayah. Yeah, the throws were a problem, but breaking giant swings and iSW's online is really hard. I was really impressed with Zzy's sidewalking. He managed to get completely behind Sayah a number of times which is really impressive.

The sidewalking surprised me as well. Even when I faced rip online, he kept trying to sidewalk/sidestep u/f+1,3,3+4 with Anna among other strings and still managed to get hit by them.

I should probably also be following in mr. taxi's footsteps and start sidewalking after d+1 SS cancels.
Well. Playing Tekken today was a bad decision. Lemme put this game on the shelf and try to resist the urge to play it ever again.

Ever again? naaaaaaaaaaah

Never give up. You are gonna have to look at the Nina/Anna tutorial I'm making and I hope it's useful enough to help you out.

It's not just that stuff though. This calls back to when I was talking about the necessities of learning frame data. Very often you were attacking when you shouldn't have in those matches. If you REALLY want to keep up vs people like that, you're going to have to familiarize yourself with some frames. Otherwise, how else would you know when to attack/not to attack and what to attack with?

I've only watched about half, but here's a few other things I noticed.

Nina's u/f1 either got you whiff punished, or was blocked a majority of the time. This is a perfect example of a move that you shouldn't be attacking after it is blocked. I believe it's -6 on block, so every time you attack at all, you're asking for a counter hit. He was also sidestepping it a lot. Be a little more careful with this move.

Punish Armor King's Dark Upper on block with your jab punishment.

You have made a bit of a habit of using the Williams autopilot strings. People that don't know any better (like myself) might fall for that stuff, but the good players won't let you get away with it. Stay away from stuff like 4,3,4 and u/f4,3,4. That kind of thing WILL get you launched and is not very hard to punish at all.

Learning frame data will not be fun for me. I really can't imagine myself memorizing that stuff. It might just suck the fun out of playing this game (at least for me). I'll still try to commit myself to learning data for some general moves and see where that takes me.

Nina's u/f+1 is the safest launcher I got that actually covers some distance (unlike d/f+2 or SS2) and I often see it going over lows and leading to a decent enough combo. b+1 is very unsafe but it gets me out of situations sometimes so I still end up risking that move as well.

And I've actually lowered my use of u/f4,3,4. I used that string and SS cancels from it waaaaaaaaaaay more in T6. But yeah, I do need to decrease my use of it even further.

Thanks for the comments, though. I need the advice.

Hey AnkiRendan, Rami should be coming from Montreal for Toryuken. He's probably the best Yoshimitsu in North America after JFJ. He'd be happy to show you a bunch of stuff about Yoshimitsu. He's also the guy that's putting a $200 bonus for the tournament from his pocket :)

Hopefully see you there!

SWEET! I look forward to meeting him! I'll look up some videos of him as well if there are any available. He's in charge of "Gutsy Geek"? That's pretty neat. I'll definitely be at Toryuken for sure, so let's meet. :)

Ah, and I'm 25 turning 26. But even when I was younger I always had crappy reflexes. I worry that sooner or later this game won't be for me. :p

ZTS

Banned
Sayah want to do another FT10 tonight? This time against another member of the Upstate Crew? Everyone wants to play against you.

From my understanding, people aren't too happy that NCR is 3 days, so they would have to take a day off from work to go. It's pretty much almost like a boycott from a lot of players.

Yeah I think this is prety much the case.

I'm 26 and will turn 27 in August. 17 years and counting of sucking at Tekken

ZTS

Banned

Pretty much. I was considering going but when I heard that Tekken was basically a side tournament I just didn't bother.

Sayah

yo aak. Where did that avatar come from

Ugh, those idiots...what are they doing? Don't encourage that kind of DLC! What more can you seriously ask for?

Shin Kamiya fans won't give up. The guy LITERALLY provided every single playable as well as a few previously non-playable characters in the series. Now they want some dude from a movie that's not even associated with the games. And even if he provided Shin, people would just move on to the next thing. Probably Angelo and Angela.

What a ridiculous character suggestion.

....Although I won't lie, the only character I wouldn't have minded would be Tougou as a clone of Lars. Please don't kill me, but I really like his character design...

DEATH™

....Although I won't lie, the only character I wouldn't have minded would be Tougou as a clone of Lars. Please don't kill me, but I really like his character design...

If Lars' face is tougou, I would like him better. Dude with a vest minus the cape? I'm in. Though uf+3 would still be annoying...

DEATH™

What we need is an Ogre clone that isn't a stupid create-a-fighter like Ancient Ogre

Here's an Idea for T7: Rokulex

Story:

WHile fighting in The King of Iron Fist Tournament, Kuma, Roger and Alex were captured by the G-Corp to do the next level of biological weapons. They were all experienced horrifying experiments including watching a tape of a Panda bear flinging with another animal of unknown origin. To the sadness of Kuma, he went berserk in the laboratory and accidentally blown a room filled with nuclear waste, exposing the three in a sea of radioactive material. After a couple of weeks, a large massive creature came out after a fallout, a horrifying creature with three heads ready to devour everything that it sees.

yo aak. Where did that avatar come from

Shin Kamiya fans won't give up. The guy LITERALLY provided every single playable as well as a few previously non-playable characters in the series. Now they want some dude from a movie that's not even associated with the games. And even if he provided Shin, people would just move on to the next thing. Probably Angelo and Angela.

Who?

In other news, my Tekken tunes just got a lot more epic, Final Fantasy VIII OST baby.

Tougou should have in Tekken 6 instead of Lars.

Ever again? naaaaaaaaaaah

Never give up. You are gonna have to look at the Nina/Anna tutorial I'm making and I hope it's useful enough to help you out.

I haven't played Williams in forever, but I'll definitely be looking out for that tutorial.

I just don't have enough time for this game. I pick it up after not playing for a few days and I'll spend that whole session just trying to remember everything again. Then the cycle repeats. I'll never improve this way, so there's not much point.

Top Bottom