• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

LTWheels

Argh. Do I go with the unreliable Zavvi for Kunimitsu and Ogre or the safe option with Shopto netting me Angel and Michelle...Decisions, Decisions...

Sayah

Hey Markman, can you create a lobby and post a screenshot of that. Just need to know how many people can be in a lobby.

raven777

people don't like character select screen music for TTT2?

When i heard it on arcade it was pretty good(better than 6), unless they changed it for the console version.

But I guess its a nice feature that you can change the music.

I forgot, I'm lazy to fire it up but I think it's 6.

Apologies if this has been asked before or clarified but in Tekken 6, four people can go in a lobby, two people can play against each other and the others spectate. Is it possible, in Tag Tournament 2, for there to be multiple/three games occuring simultaneously while players are waiting or will it be the same as Tekken 6 where two people play in a match and the other palyers spectate?

If you don't mind answering of course.

EDIT: Thanks for the answer. Not exactly the answer I was hoping for but as long as it plays smoothly, which all reports seem to indicate, I won't mind at all. Thanks.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Before people start going nuts. The PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't as powerful as arcade tech used for this game. Sure it's 'based on' PS3 architecture, but it's not the same as a regular PS3.

There are limitations and with those said limitations, I think the team did a great job. I've been playing the arcade version over the last year and a half and I have to say that the game looks/plays great for the most part.

Apologies if this has been asked before or clarified but in Tekken 6, four people can go in a lobby, two people can play against each other and the others spectate. Is it possible, in Tag Tournament 2, for there to be multiple/three games occuring simultaneously while players are waiting or will it be the same as Tekken 6 where two people play in a match and the other palyers spectate?

If you don't mind answering of course.

It's just like SCV. 2 ppl play, the others watch.

GrayFoxPL

Tell me that Jun Kazama is playable from the start. Tell me. I am in love.

iPqqdtxCEzIQu.gif

She is.

LTWheels

Would love it if they made a PC version. Hopefully Dark Souls is successful enough on the PC to make Namco consider it as a platform.

vocab

Don't know why people are surprised about sub HD when T6 looked terrible.

Also, can I get the bikinis later down the line, or are they not offered ever?

V_Arnold

Thank you. Thank you!

Edit:
Also, am I the only one who thought that T6 looked absolutely mind-blowingly amazing? I could not care less about the RESOLUTION when the game had amazing lighting effects, incredibly smooth animations, a lot of detail in the level and, to a certain extent, in the characters - and had 60fps?

Pachimari

Am I the only one thinking Tekken 6 has the most boring stages in the series? Or at least the selection. TTT2 looks wy more interesting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thank you. Thank you!

Edit:
Also, am I the only one who thought that T6 looked absolutely mind-blowingly amazing? I could not care less about the RESOLUTION when the game had amazing lighting effects, incredibly smooth animations, a lot of detail in the level and, to a certain extent, in the characters - and had 60fps?

Nope I love namcos 3d fighters

Thank you. Thank you!

Edit:

nope.

I thought it looked awesome...even to this day.

I must be easy to please, lol.

Galdelico

nope.

I thought it looked awesome...even to this day.

I must be easy to please, lol.
Tekken 6 has great graphics but terrible image quality (that's my opinion) and TTT2 Prologue is even worse under this regard.

How does final TTT2 compare to the Hybrid's Prologue? Hope it's not that messy.

i just preordered this, and uh the clerk at ebgames told me only preorder bonuses are snoop stage and 4 dlc characters. where's my bikini bundle? :(

noodalls

I can't speak for the arcade version, but it was really noticeable to me on the 360 version when I played at my friend's house. IIRC, there was a pretty significant drop on the arcade version as well. Harada detailed it on a presentation Namco did on Tekken's graphics a while back. I wish I could find the article.

http://gigazine.net/news/20110907_tekken_cedec2011/

Also, when I played the arcade version, it seemed like the shadows were a bit more staccato than the rest of the animation. Anybody else feel this?

DR2K

Banned
So Tekken Tag 2 is also sub HD, drops even more res when more characters are on screen, and cuts away the entire background online? I'd rather they spent their time adding in swaps to optomize their engine. This is some amater level stuff no matter how you spin it. I have a feeling this game was rushed since it got bumped up from December to September.

LowParry

So Tekken Tag 2 is also sub HD, drops even more res when more characters are on screen, and cuts away the entire background online? I'd rather they spent their time adding in swaps to optomize their engine. This is some amater level stuff no matter how you spin it. I have a feeling this game was rushed since it got bumped up from December to September.

Can you test turning blur off to see if it has any effect on screen with res?

LowParry

so how popular will this game be? I'm not a big fighting game guy but it has my interest if there will be a large online community.

thanks!

With the advertising that's I've been seeing today with football, I say it's going to be really popular and sell good for a fighting game.

Eiji

http://gigazine.net/news/20110907_tekken_cedec2011/

Also, when I played the arcade version, it seemed like the shadows were a bit more staccato than the rest of the animation. Anybody else feel this?

Thanks for that, here is the relevant slide:

P1960708_m.jpg

2 players = 1024x720
3 players = 900x720
4 players = 800x720

I noticed the image quality in TTT2 on 360 is sharper than T6 on 360 but there is definitely more aliasing in TTT2. Turning motion blur off doesn't improve the image quality or bump up the resolution like it did in 360 T6.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think as far as technical quality goes it may be time for people to accept that the PS3 and 360 are at their limit and it's not going to be a matter of lazy development in some cases.

Soul Calibur V looks very clean and is close to perfect in a technical sense, but it is not a tag based game and never has to render more than 2 primary characters on screen at one time.

Even without spectators in the backgrounds online, the stages in TTT2 are rather elaborate and with up to four characters visible something is going to hit the brick wall on current hardware.

DR2K

Banned
I think as far as technical quality goes it may be time for people to accept that the PS3 and 360 are at their limit and it's not going to be a matter of lazy development in some cases.

Soul Calibur V looks very clean and is close to perfect in a technical sense, but it is not a tag based game and never has to render more than 2 primary characters on screen at one time.

Even without spectators in the backgrounds online, the stages in TTT2 are rather elaborate and with up to four characters visible something is going to hit the brick wall on current hardware.

Dead or Alive 5 pushes everything a level above Tekken Tag 2, even matches character count without dropping res. The difference is that the engine they built was optomized for PS3 and 360, whereas TTT2 is looking like a downport from arcade hardware, it has little to do with console limitations and more with developers not getting enough time to work on their engines. For me the loss of background objects is going to be really jarring in some levels.

I'm not trying to make this DOA5 vs Tekken Tag 2, but it is the most relevant and proper example.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dead or Alive 5 pushes everything a level above Tekken Tag 2, even matches character count without dropping res. The difference is that the engine they built was optomized for PS3 and 360, whereas TTT2 is looking like a downport from arcade hardware, it has little to do with console limitations and more with developers not getting enough time to work on their engines. For me the loss of background objects is going to be really jarring in some levels.

All graphics are not the same under the hood. Dead or Alive 5 has a different art style in comparison to Tekken Tag 2. Tekken also apparently has more animation data in play, I'm under the impression it's more on the level of Virtua Fighter there.

And the issue with losing background objects has everything to do with CPU limitations on the current consoles. Developers have been bluntly talking about that for a while now, as to why there is not a magical fix for net code on the current hardware.

Street Fighter X Tekken is barely able to run without stuttering because of the complexity of the visuals and stage animations, while attempting actual rollback net code in a fighter with 3D characters. Soul Calibur V doesn't attempt to render 3 - 4 characters on screen. VF5:FS has visuals that from a technical standpoint, don't push the current consoles at all.

The priority in TTT2 was stable and smooth netplay, as in a critical priority. We were warned multiple times this was extremely difficult due to Tekken's data structure specifically. If the early reports about the net code performing very well are true, then they probably made the correct sacrifices.

As for downports, the arcade hardware the game was built for is PS3 based but is reported as upgraded further from the version Tekken 6:BR runs on. Tekken 6 / TTT2 also use features that SCV and the other games don't all have, such as dynamic sand/snow/water deformation around characters and high quality motion blur on character models.

With all these rigors combined together, it sounds pretty realistic to expect walls to be hit when porting down to the current HD consoles.

I'm not trying to make this DOA5 vs Tekken Tag 2, but it is the most relevant and proper example.
The resolution dropped under the same circumstances in the arcade version. And unless they change the way Tekken works, it will always require more resources to run well than the other games because you can't buffer in commands in Tekken like the other games (SC/VF/DOA). Lag is hidden better in the other games due to this fact.

DR2K

Banned
The resolution dropped under the same circumstances in the arcade version. And unless they change the way Tekken works, it will always require more resources to run well than the other games because you can't buffer in commands in Tekken like the other games (SC/VF/DOA). Lag is hidden better in the other games due to this fact.

I'm using down port in the sense that the arcade version runs on a better engine. I believe it also uses netplay or was that VF5 arcade?

Sayah

Also, can I get the bikinis later down the line, or are they not offered ever?

They will be free for everyone at a later time. People who pre-order just get early access.

I forgot, I'm lazy to fire it up but I think it's 6.

Thanks. 6 is kind of low but I guess that's better than 4.

people don't like character select screen music for TTT2?

When i heard it on arcade it was pretty good(better than 6), unless they changed it for the console version.

But I guess its a nice feature that you can change the music.

I think TTT2's character select theme is the best one from this generation of fighters.

GrayFoxPL

I'm using down port in the sense that the arcade version runs on a better engine. I believe it also uses netplay or was that VF5 arcade?

It's not a better engine, arcade hardwere is more powerful like PS3++. If anything the console version is optimized as hell because straight code port wouldn't run at all.

Yes, the arcade runs on a better engine and more powerful hardware. And it still has to drop the resolution during the tag stuff. There is no netplay in the either TTT2 or any VF5 arcade game. They have a replay and records system that's online, but not gameplay. And it doesn't change the fact that Tekken's input system is still different that the others.

Namco has done killer job all things considered. The game looks great and plays great regardless of some minor concessions. That's all that matters.

DR2K

Banned
It's not a better engine, arcade hardwere is more powerful like PS3++. If anything the console version is optimized as hell because straight code port wouldn't run at all.

More powerful hardware. . . er. . . not engine derp.

With all these rigors combined together, it sounds pretty realistic to expect walls to be hit when porting down to the current HD consoles.

As long as the netcode is good it won't bother me too much, but I will notice it, I assumed with SC netcode there wouldn't be a difference.

Yes, the arcade runs on a better engine and more powerful hardware. And it still has to drop the resolution during the tag stuff. There is no netplay in the either TTT2 or any VF5 arcade game. They have a replay and records system that's online, but not gameplay. And it doesn't change the fact that Tekken's input system is still different that the others.

Namco has done killer job all things considered. The game looks great and plays great regardless of some minor concessions. That's all that matters.

I agree, it's just a minor annoyance because I think it could be better.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Dead or Alive 5 we really don't know how it will handle the resolution when it comes to Tag matches either. (From what I've seen all public events have been 1 vs 1 and havent seen any discussions about tag matches but if anyone have the details bring em since I personally havent hear much from that area) Also we don't know how Tecmo is gonna tackle their online since the details have been a bit scarce in that area. All that is known is that the lobby they had in DOA4 has been removed in order to make things work better but rendering DOA5 online hasnt been mentioned how it will work. (Make any compromises)

Take in consideration Tekken Tag Tournament is a port that does the same thing with the resolution and its stripping down some things to keep the online smooth as possible while DOA5 is a ground up game that might be done taking in consideration the hardware limitations.

I find it hard to believe the PS3 & Xbox 360 are struggling to run a game like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 after seeing some of the visual wonders those systems have produced. As mentioned it's probably due to Tekken being a port of an arcade game but even so I think SoulCalibur V is just a smarter game in how it's designed visually.

SCV is not an Arcade Port so its being ground up in mind for the System taking in consideration the pros or cons of said system.

Top Bottom