• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

I believe they have three options from 1,1

1. 1,1,1

Best always to block this. The last hit will always connect otherwise unless you do a parry (b+1+3 or b+2+4). In the case that you do get hit, make sure you tech out (tap square).

2. 1,1,4

I often low parry this move. It's easier to see coming.

3. 1,1,2

The third hit is slow in this string. Use a fast move. For instance, Armor King can do d+1,4 as counter hit. Same thing applies to their u/f+4,3 launcher. That is easily punishable but you don't know if the Julia/Michelle player will do the 1 punch right after. So again, do AK's d+1,4 or some thing else that works. It will punish the launcher and will further do counter hit if they do the 1 punch right after. In these scenarios, I use Nina's b+2,2,2. Works beautifully on counter hit and takes crazy damage.

A lot of this, I'm sure you already know. Between option 1 and option 2 above, it can seem like a 50-50 mixup game. I have bad reactions so I mostly just end up low parrying the whole time and if I get hit by 1,1,1, then I just tech out.

Thanks. The biggest issue was the 1,1,4 because I didn't know it was so positive on hit. Definitely gonna proritize parrying that in the future.

Manbig

He got way too aggressive when he had good life leads and missed a ton of punishments that I know he knows about because we talked about it just a few days ago. His throw breaking also fell apart towards this end.

This was very obviously pure tourny nerves.

AAK

I made top 8 (my bracket was significantly easier though). Losers. that stream match was disgusting. But composure during a tournament is part of the skills needed to prevail. sigh, now i fight potato brain next tomorrow. Need to stuuuudyyyyyy!

i need to study on Yoshimitsu’s tricks.

GrayFoxPL

I made top 8 (my bracket was significantly easier though). Losers. that stream match was disgusting. But composure during a tournament is part of the skills needed to prevail. sigh, now i fight potato brain next tomorrow. Need to stuuuudyyyyyy!

GM just took out Chacha.

Good luck! Please use more moves to avoid predictability. Not even Kor is aware of every possible move that can be thrown at him.

Manbig

GM just took out Chacha.

Good luck! Please use more moves to avoid predictability. Not even Kor is aware of every possible move that can be thrown at him.

Didn't really have anything to do with variety in his moves. He just missed a lot of stuff and was too aggressive when he shouldn't have been IMO.

There was a round you could have taken easily because you had about twice as much life as chacha in the final 5 seconds, but you ran in on him. You've gotta build up awareness for that sort of thing.

Another tip, you went with some questionable options vs Christie. Honestly, I would not even try to jab her much unless it's a punishment personally. Chacha caught you with nearly every relaxed transition because of this.

You missed the b1,4 series punishments a lot. Remember what your options were vs that stuff and keep that in mind in case you fight him again.

Ducking vs P.Jack when you thought debugger was coming got you launched a few times. Try not to guess debugger unless you're far away.

Also, punish Jack's d/f2. Pretty sure it's -14. If you have a long range 10 to 14f punisher, roll with that.

Sayah

YES.

Chacha's Christie with those non-stop grabs. :/

I will probably miss top 8 because of work but good luck.

As far as yoshi, one thing I noticed is that he uses b+2,2 punisher a lot. If you didn't already know, the second hit in that can be ducked. But also don't fall for b+2,1 even though yoshi players don't typically use that move outside of juggles.

DEATH™;56868022 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiWCnv11o-M

Discuss...

(I will no way post this on the FGC thread...)

The interesting thing to me is that the depth he (and many 3D players) considers is the greatest triumph 3D games have over 2D is exactly the reason more people play 2D fighters. Depth is great, but very few people are willing to make that commitment needed to play these games. So many Tekken players just play Tekken, so many VF players just play VF, whereas many 2D players cross over into many games (except for anime games and Smash for entirely different reasons though) because they are easy to pick up and the fundamentals carry over. I'm mainly talking about tournament level players. Casuals couldn't care less about depth. MK and Injustice have bitchin story modes and recognizable characters, and that's what gets those higher review scores and game sales.

His concern about Namco being able to continue creating Tekken in this environment of rising costs is warranted though. I'm sure Harada and crew spend a great deal of time and money on character creation and balance, but they're going to need to do a whole lot more in the single player feature department to earn casual sales. Truthfully I think the franchise may need to hit the "reset" button on the gameplay if only to give the illusion of simplicity to entice lapsed players or stallwarts to join in. This is what worked for SF4. Ono pitched that game as a reboot on the mechanics and an easy game for casuals to pick up and play, and while it is easier than SF3, it is by no means "easy". Tekken could pull off something similar to that. TxSF would be a great testbed for such a thing.

DEATH™

A 3.1 Speaker system, a big computer rig with 2 monitors, 2 flatscreens, a PS3, arcade stick, HD streaming device and a huge poster of tifa... Nerd Heaven....

The only thing that's missing is a guitar, bass and a pen tablet.... but would make someone be trapped in the room forever...

The interesting thing to me is that the depth he (and many 3D players) considers is the greatest triumph 3D games have over 2D is exactly the reason more people play 2D fighters. Depth is great, but very few people are willing to make that commitment needed to play these games. So many Tekken players just play Tekken, so many VF players just play VF, whereas many 2D players cross over into many games (except for anime games and Smash for entirely different reasons though) because they are easy to pick up and the fundamentals carry over. I'm mainly talking about tournament level players. Casuals couldn't care less about depth. MK and Injustice have bitchin story modes and recognizable characters, and that's what gets those higher review scores and game sales.

His concern about Namco being able to continue creating Tekken in this environment of rising costs is warranted though. I'm sure Harada and crew spend a great deal of time and money on character creation and balance, but they're going to need to do a whole lot more in the single player feature department to earn casual sales. Truthfully I think the franchise may need to hit the "reset" button on the gameplay if only to give the illusion of simplicity to entice lapsed players or stallwarts to join in. This is what worked for SF4. Ono pitched that game as a reboot on the mechanics and an easy game for casuals to pick up and play, and while it is easier than SF3, it is by no means "easy". Tekken could pull off something similar to that. TxSF would be a great testbed for such a thing.

I don't think the depth and difficulty is the problem, it's never the problem, people will play a game no matter how hard it is if they love it. In that logic, Starcraft and Dark Souls won't strive. Even real physical sports like football, soccer, MMA won't be on their feet.

The current "problem" Tekken has right now is its the perfect ARCADE game. Look, imagine you going to a arcade, then you got beat, after that your opponent will either say gg and teach you personally or trashtalk you to humiliation. Either way, you're gonna get motivated and play, and when you finally win, it will feel like the best thing ever and you're hooked.

Compare that to playing online. You go to rank... you got lost, if your opponent tries to teach you, most of the time you shrug it (or think your way is still the right way). If they trashtalk, you think the guy is a loser and stereotype that people who plays this game seriously got no lives. Either way, there is no incentive in learning because the social medium is different. In places where arcades are present, Tekken is striving, even in a westernlike country of australia. The only places where tekken is striving in stateside is the places where offline competition are present. I don't think the depth of the game is what made Tekken "bad" in console but the lack of single player focused aspects is. That's should be the main focus on the consoles.

As much as we think Scenario Campaign is bad, it is what Tekken actually needed in the consoles. As a testimony, we got a house party last time and people are playing Tekken. Then some asked me if I had Tekken 6 so they can play with scenario campaign... Starcraft strived because it brings a fun single player campaign and giving multiplayer depth in a separate manner. If you try to force down the game mechanics to the casuals to the point of dumbing it down, when the casuals want customizations, robust story modes, senseless beatemup campaign and tekken ball, then you won't get your goal and turn off your existing following...

DEATH™;56876272 said:
I don't think the depth and difficulty is the problem, it's never the problem, people will play a game no matter how hard it is if they love it. In that logic, Starcraft and Dark Souls won't strive. Even real physical sports like football, soccer, MMA won't be on their feet.

The current "problem" Tekken has right now is its the perfect ARCADE game. Look, imagine you going to a arcade, then you got beat, after that your opponent will either say gg and teach you personally or trashtalk you to humiliation. Either way, you're gonna get motivated and play, and when you finally win, it will feel like the best thing ever and you're hooked.

Compare that to playing online. You go to rank... you got lost, if your opponent tries to teach you, most of the time you shrug it (or think your way is still the right way). If they trashtalk, you think the guy is a loser and stereotype that people who plays this game seriously got no lives. Either way, there is no incentive in learning because the social medium is different. In places where arcades are present, Tekken is striving, even in a westernlike country of australia. The only places where tekken is striving in stateside is the places where offline competition are present. I don't think the depth of the game is what made Tekken "bad" in console but the lack of single player focused aspects is. That's should be the main focus on the consoles.

As much as we think Scenario Campaign is bad, it is what Tekken actually needed in the consoles. As a testimony, we got a house party last time and people are playing Tekken. Then some asked me if I had Tekken 6 so they can play with scenario campaign...

I agree with that 100%. There needs to be a fundamental change in the approach of creating a console fighting game. Much more emphasis on single player stuff for fun, as well as some proper teaching tools and better online incentives to play besides ranked. Every fighter needs that, it's the way of the future. That said, the complexity of Tekken specifically will always be a barrier of entry that limits the audience in some way. As long as the game is capable of helping people who truly want to learn and get better, things should be fine.

DEATH™

I agree with that 100%. There needs to be a fundamental change in the approach of creating a console fighting game. Much more emphasis on single player stuff for fun, as well as some proper teaching tools and better online incentives to play besides ranked. Every fighter needs that, it's the way of the future. That said, the complexity of Tekken specifically will always be a barrier of entry that limits the audience in some way. As long as the game is capable of helping people who truly want to learn and get better, things should be fine.

Again, Tekken's complexity won't be a problem. Again... Starcraft.... and remember, not everyone who bought WoL or HotS plays competitively, but n
Interested in Raynor, Kerrigan, what happens next and just blasting the cpu with single player exclusive broken units. Imagine if the Jaguars item move would always come out after a win in single player Kreygasm

GGs boutdown. Sorry about the lag. I tried not to abuse my team's hundred different low launchers. :p

That one round you took like 90% off Feng's health in a few seconds with just Miguel pokes was impressive.

Dereck

When you messaged me I was practicing with Bob. That was good Bob practice. You would be even more fun to play without the lag, its neither of our faults though. GGs

DEATH™;56868022 said:
AAK, no need to say good luck to yah... Go get them!!!

----------

EDIT

Discuss...

Good video and he makes quite a bit of interesting points. You have to be kidding me on the metacritics scores. Well, then again, didn't IGN give TTT2 a 7.5 and literally every other fighter higher? :/

Emperor ranks in that tournament link? @_@

Doomshine

Tekken 6 also got a lot of crap for the online in reviews while games like MK9 got a free pass for that.

Tag 2 having some of the best online available? No one cared.

Sayah

Fighting game website I've been following since 2011.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/main.htm

Here's the guy you played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8PDvjr1ZWP8

Oh nice. Didn't know that site existed.

DEATH™;56868022 said:
AAK, no need to say good luck to yah... Go get them!!!

----------

EDIT

Discuss...

SFIV can be pretty hard imo. It's hard to link everything.
A lot of good points in the video, though.

I don't know about that. I play a lot of fighters other than Tekken. And even in the community you'll see people like Aris and RIP (just as recently) try out new games like Injustice or SFXTK. In fact, I would say it might be the opposite. A lot of people that talk shit about Tekken or say Capcom fighters are superior with more depth haven't even played Tekken or lack the knowledge to understand its depth.

But I can agree with you on a lot of points. Games like SF and MvC3 bring easy gratification. I think that's a large part of why they're popular in USA and it's also why you have a Capcom brigade of sorts in the USA FGC and no where else. SFIV is not easy but even so, the illusion "of simplicity," as you said, or just the general, as the video mentioned, "skittles on the screen" will grab a lot of casual attention. It's also why I'd like to think these games have higher metacritic scores. At large, the gaming press is "casuals" when it comes to fighting games and pretty effects are going to fascinate them more than depth. That IGN review for TTT2 was half about complaining that the game is too hard and the roster is too large. It was pretty much "let me run through arcade mode and write a short crappy review. This job doesn't pay me enough."

Wooooow. Nice setup.

Did you build that gaming desktop?

Sayah

Tekken 6 also got a lot of crap for the online in reviews while games like MK9 got a free pass for that.

Tag 2 having some of the best online available? No one cared.

Tag 2 is the epitome of a good fighting game.

1. Loaded with content/a lot of features
2. Massive roster
3. Top notch netcode
4. Insane depth
5. Excellent balance
6. Excellent variety in playstyles and characters
7. Beautiful visuals
8. Good/acceptable loading times
9. The best DLC model the FGC has yet to see
10. STILL has better customization than the majority of other fighters.

It is the fighting game of this generation. Everyone has their preferences as the end of the day but when we objectively look at which fighter has the most to offer, the award no doubt goes to TTT2. It does everything at least as good if not better than other fighters. Not to mention it boasts features that other fighters lack (Tekken Tunes and WTF for instance).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It.s a 5.1 system. You can see the rest of the speakers from the back of the monitors. I have an extra monitor laying around so I can do a triple monitor set up too but it's overkill and I have no more room left.

Yeah. I built the PC myself. With some help from PC GAF and other people. It's pretty easy.

GrayFoxPL

And he did it again!
My rovery GM!

But to be fair it wasn't KOR's day. I mean he got hit by last 3 in df3,2,3 string at least twice.
And that 3 never hits outside juggles, so yeah KOR wasn't on his best.

Manbig

KOR hasn't really done a great job of making the transition to this game overall. Maybe the improved movement really fucked him over. GM knowing how to fight Bob thanks to playing Fab so much also probably has a large part to do with that.

AAK

Man, every game i played of stream i won 3-0. On stream everything falls apart, nothing i want to come out ever happened.

I was playing potatobrain off stream and i was getting a couple matches at least. It sucks to leave like this when you invested so much time and money for this trip. Anyways, on to the long journey home.

Look at this guy. Strength and grace personified. <3

Fengwei-extra-tekken5.jpg

I can't imagine not having him on my team. I like Ganryu as well, but he lacks a few things (no one-hit bound hurts combo potential, lack of low crushing moves) and it can be frustrating sometimes.

Can anyone recommend another good all round character to compliment Feng?

I can't imagine not having him on my team. I like Ganryu as well, but he lacks a few things (no one-hit bound hurts combo potential, lack of low crushing moves) and it can be frustrating sometimes.

Bruce or Leo.

Dereck

Dude, you already play Leo.

AAK

I finally got home... the bus ride took 2 hours longer than expected.... because is broke down 1 hour into the journey :/

Anyways, I just saw the discussion here. I don't understand why Tekken is considered less visually appealing than something like SF. Doesn't the mo-cap of classical martial arts represented in a videogame form have some kind of aesthetic charm to appease the casual audience? Or are those people just a dying breed?

Leo/Lars are the default characters that have synergy with pretty much every team LOL. Bob, Feng, Julia, Bruce, Jinpachi, Dragunov, Marduk, Armor King, would all be great choices to go with. Asuka/Lili have it easy too.

braves01

Banned
I finally got home... the bus ride took 2 hours longer than expected.... because is broke down 1 hour into the journey :/

Anyways, I just saw the discussion here. I don't understand why Tekken is considered less visually appealing than something like SF. Doesn't the mo-cap of classical martial arts represented in a videogame form have some kind of aesthetic charm to appease the casual audience? Or are those people just a dying breed?

SF looks like ass, imo, same for SFxT (that truck stop stage in particular is horrendous). I refuse to believe people like SF for its visual appeal.

Sayah

Man, every game i played of stream i won 3-0. On stream everything falls apart, nothing i want to come out ever happened.

I was playing potatobrain off stream and i was getting a couple matches at least. It sucks to leave like this when you invested so much time and money for this trip. Anyways, on to the long journey home.

I didn't get a chance to watch finals. Was working late last night and got home and went to sleep. :/

But congrats on TOP 8.

It.s a 5.1 system. You can see the rest of the speakers from the back of the monitors. I have an extra monitor laying around so I can do a triple monitor set up too but it's overkill and I have no more room left.

Yeah. I built the PC myself. With some help from PC GAF and other people. It's pretty easy.

I want to make one myself one of these days. hmmmmmmmm..

I think TTT2 looks really great. But I won't really compare it to SF. Two completely different visual styles. I also played DoA5 recently and I would say TTT2 >>>>> DoA5 as far as visuals go. It's a lot more vivid and colorful.

But the best looking fighter so far would probably be SCV.

Bruce or Leo.

Dude, you already play Leo.

Leo/Lars are the default characters that have synergy with pretty much every team LOL. Bob, Feng, Julia, Bruce, Jinpachi, Dragunov, Marduk, Armor King, would all be great choices to go with. Asuka/Lili have it easy too.

Huh. Maybe I should go back to Leo. I found her slightly boring and was constantly dropping combos. I did pretty well with her, though.

Jinpachi is interesting. Definitely gonna try out that team.

I'm with you. The super moves look suitably extravagant, but those generic kicks and punches with their stiff animations are hilarious. What I like about Tekken is that it makes you feel as though you're mastering a legitimate fighting style. I love those insanely long move lists.

Manbig

We talked about punishing Capos, man. :(

Congrats on top 8 though!

Top Bottom