• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Degen

DEATH™;57595438 said:

kaIBGnf.png

*DEAD*

Degen

I have those days, but then I have good ones where I play well. I can't give up on this game no matter how hard I try. :mad:
Co-sign

I've had a few "done with this game forever" moments

One time I lost a ranked match by running into the same couple of launchers over and over again. I kid you not: I tossed my brand-new controller out of pure salt, and it landed on my power strip's switch, which turned off the PS3, my printer, my phone charger, a mini-fridge, and my heater at the same time so it all ended in this dramatic "WWWRRRRrrrrrr..."

I had the blankest expression for like half a minute

After not playing anything for a solid week after that, I turned the PS3 on to play you clowns on stream and there was that good ol' ragequit penalty waiting for me lol

edit: oh yeah, but not before the whole "PS3 was turned off incorrectly" routine

My crappy Lei managed to beat a double Pugilist Mishima team. I have no idea what I'm doing :lol
he got his revenge soon after

Co-sign

I've had a few "done with this game forever" moments

One time I lost a ranked match by running into the same couple of launchers over and over again. I kid you not: I tossed my brand-new controller out of pure salt, and it landed on my power strip's switch, which turned off the PS3, my printer, my phone charger, a mini-fridge, and my heater at the same time so it all ended in this dramatic "WWWRRRRrrrrrr..."

I had the blankest expression for like half a minute

After not playing anything for a solid week after that, I turned the PS3 on to play you clowns on stream and there was that good ol' ragequit penalty waiting for me lol

edit: oh yeah, but not before the whole "PS3 was turned off incorrectly" routine

No controller throwing yet, but I've come close. This game really is too hard for its own good. Maybe it's just because I've been playing with Lei all day, but there are a million options at any given moment and a split second to choose the right one. Most of the time I end up doing something stupid and hate myself for it.

Dereck

No controller throwing yet, but I've come close. This game really is too hard for its own good. Maybe it's just because I've been playing with Lei all day, but there are a million options at any given moment and only seconds to choose the right one. Most of the time I end up doing something stupid and hate myself for it.
I really don't know how tournament players even muster this game at high skill levels.

When I watch shit like this, I always think to myself that there is no way I could ever get this good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVYb-J29p8

Yeah, I watched the whole thing.

Yep, I'm not even sure I want to keep playing Tekken.

Keep at it. You are good and definitely have skills. Yeah, fighting games can be frustrating experiences and I've been playing fighters for a quite some time now. They are normally demanding and require an uncanny amount of knowledge, practice, dedication and time. That is why unfortunately, so many people I know cannot really get into them.

DEATH™

Guys, if your only goal is winning, you will get frustrated more often... I'm not saying don't have a hunger for winning but, lets lower our expectations a bit... like, my goal right now is to integrate SSing to my game... It doesn't matter if I lose, if I got my opponent in trouble, I'm good...

But if you need motivation... watch this

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJyAblb8B4
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YMOncqUbI
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tgJfpRpmA
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCw9kVVmBDY

Manbig

DEATH™;57651736 said:
Guys, if your only goal is winning, you will get frustrated more often... I'm not saying don't have a hunger for winning but, lets lower our expectations a bit... like, my goal right now is to integrate SSing to my game... It doesn't matter if I lose, if I got my opponent in trouble, I'm good...

But if you need motivation... watch this

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJyAblb8B4
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YMOncqUbI
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tgJfpRpmA
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCw9kVVmBDY

This is good advice. If you're obsessed with winning, you're gonna go crazy and want to throw away the game. You can't expect to beat a lot of people unless you put an absurd amount of time into this game. You need to temper your expectations for every match. It's even okay to throw away matches if you choose to focus on improving in a weak aspect of your game in the process.

If you get obsessed with winning every match vs every player you face, you're doing it wrong. The best way to improve is to ask yourself "Why did I get hit by that?" and to find the answer to that question on your own. This is why you should save replays of your losses and not just your wins. The game even shows you the training mode data during replays, so you can verify if you punished something properly on whiff or on block.

I always play to learn, but things get frustrating when I jump online like "ok, today I'll work on my poking. Oh, this guy just spams snake edge....oh this other guy keeps flipping with Lili...oh this next guy is 1000x better than me and I can't touch him." After an hour of that and you've accomplished nothing you set out to do for the night my frustration just can't help but mount. It's not about whether I'm winning, in fact I've won more lately than not, it's just that sometimes it takes two to tango, and when your partner doesn't give a fuck, then you can't either.

Manbig

I always play to learn, but things get frustrating when I jump online like "ok, today I'll work on my poking. Oh, this guy just spams snake edge....oh this other guy keeps flipping with Lili...oh this next guy is 1000x better than me and I can't touch him." After an hour of that and you've accomplished nothing you set out to do for the night my frustration just can't help but mount. It's not about whether I'm winning, in fact I've won more lately than not, it's just that sometimes it takes two to tango, and when your partner doesn't give a fuck, then you can't either.

You certainly can practice your poking vs people that spam. Great opportunity to train up your sidestepping/walking, block punishing, and whiff punishing too.

On another note, I find it incredibly off putting that there's a shitload of fantastic match videos on youtube that can barely make 1k views, yet so many people search for this nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PThx2z8ZPk

You certainly can practice your poking vs people that spam. Great opportunity to train up your sidestepping/walking, block punishing, and whiff punishing too.

On another note, I find it incredibly off putting that there's a shitload of fantastic match videos on youtube that can barely make 1k views, yet so many people search for this nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PThx2z8ZPk

Yeah you're right, it's moreso the Asuka/Jun teams that make me go "welp, no punches and kicks today!" And in either case it's just not very satisfying to play against, which is my main issue.

Dereck

My issue was never losing, my issue in Tekken is that I've reached a brick wall in my progression in playstyle. When I play against Tekken GAF in the streams, I play patiently and I space myself, it just seems like whenever I think I can attack I get beat to the punch. I wasn't really understanding why. The more that happens the more apprehensive I get to attacking at all. So, the whole match is me getting my health drained, (slowly, but surely), and I end up never attacking because I am afraid of getting killed even faster. I watch videos of Tekken all of the time, I watch Tekken more than I play it. I ask myself, how do these people get so good at this game? I really think I need to enter a Tekken training camp or something.

Manbig

Yeah you're right, it's moreso the Asuka/Jun teams that make me go "welp, no punches and kicks today!" And in either case it's just not very satisfying to play against, which is my main issue.

I feel ya on that one. I have access to anti counter launchers, and safe elbows/knees, so it doesn't bug me as much. It's also a pretty good time to practice your chickens (something that I should really do).

My issue was never losing, my issue in Tekken is that I've reached a brick wall in my progression in playstyle. When I play against Tekken GAF in the streams, I play patiently and I space myself, it just seems like whenever I think I can attack I get beat to the punch. I wasn't really understanding why. The more that happens the more apprehensive I get to attacking at all. So, the whole match is me getting my health drained, (slowly, but surely), and I end up never attacking because I am afraid of getting killed even faster. I watch videos of Tekken all of the time, I watch Tekken more than I play it. I ask myself, how do these people get so good at this game? I really think I need to enter a Tekken training camp or something.

There's a lot of things involved in that. I'll bet number one on the list is lack of knowledge of move mechanics and match ups. That's pretty much one of the biggest hurdles of the game and is why I'm saying you should save your replays and pay more attention to your losses. Every single time you get hit by a move, look up what the input of that move is.

Once you have that figured out, you have a huge amount of options to figure out ways to get around said move. Command capture, looking out for that move in other match videos, asking other players, etc...

Speaking of this, I was thinking of doing a stream where I run through Marduk's move list and what I know about the properties and usage of each move. I'm not aiming to be like Mr. Naps here, since I'm nowhere near that good or knowledgeable, but I'd like to share what I know and be open to having other people share info that I've been missing. So it's a benefit on both ends. Only gonna do it if people are interested in tuning in, so let me know if you guys are interested.

Dereck

There's a lot of things involved in that. I'll bet number one on the list is lack of knowledge of move mechanics and match ups. That's pretty much one of the biggest hurdles of the game and is why I'm saying you should save your replays and pay more attention to your losses. Every single time you get hit by a move, look up what the input of that move is.

Once you have that figured out, you have a huge amount of options to figure out ways to get around said move. Command capture, looking out for that move in other match videos, asking other players, etc...

Speaking of this, I was thinking of doing a stream where I run through Marduk's move list and what I know about the properties and usage of each move. I'm not aiming to be like Mr. Naps here, since I'm nowhere near that good or knowledgeable, but I'd like to share what I know and be open to having other people share info that I've been missing. So it's a benefit on both ends. Only gonna do it if people are interested in tuning in, so let me know if you guys are interested.
Yeah, that's a big part of it.

Schuhu

Neo Member
Is it normal that some of the characters in the cast requre considerable more effort than others?
For someone whos an absolute beginner @ 3d fighters, I just picked some characters I thought look cool (for example Hwoarang 'cause I play him in sfxt) and suddenly I'm suppose to rotate stances like a crazy person when I could just play Asuka and get easier combos and movesets.

I mean his movelist has 100 more moves than Asuka, holy shit

Doomshine

Is it normal that some of the characters in the cast requre considerable more effort than others?
For someone whos an absolute beginner @ 3d fighters, I just picked some characters I thought look cool (for example Hwoarang 'cause I play him in sfxt) and suddenly I'm suppose to rotate stances like a crazy person when I could just play Asuka and get easier combos and movesets.

Stance characters are going to be more complicated, but at the same time I think you should play characters that you like.

Sayah

Yes, some characters require more effort.

You should experiment with whichever ones interest you and stick with the ones that fit your fighting style preference(s).

Still, if you want easy characters, then look at Lili or Feng.

Degen

yeah I've tried to learn Jaycee about a dozen times and I cannot get used to her play style

I think what really throws me off is the QCF spin move that seems to be in every good juggle of hers. Forget that

Sayah

I used to find the wind roll hard in T6 but then just happened to do it easily one day. Don't know what changed. Got the timing down and now I don't have any problems with it.

Just keep trying it in practice and you'll eventually get it. It's really not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Manbig

When starting to learn a character, you can roll with a small percentage of a character's movelist that cover most of the situations and slowly work your way from there. If you try to dive into a full movelist headfirst, you're bound to drive yourself insane.

Nobody is interested in this? This is exactly the kind of thing that's a good start in learning how to fight against or play as a character.

Nobody is interested in this? This is exactly the kind of thing that's a good start in learning how to fight against or play as a character.

I'd watch it. There's not many anti-character tutorials out there. I don't think I've ever run into a Marduk online, but it might come in handy one day :p

I tried to rank the character ease of use based on my limited knowledge of the game. It's tough to do because what's hard to one person isn't necessarily hard to someone else.

Easy to pick up, plenty of gimmicks to lean on (but don't lean too hard!) while you learn the fundamentals:
Alisa
Asuka
Feng
Jun/Unknown
King
Kunimitsu
Lili/Sebastian

Easy to pick up, but will require some decent fundamentals before you can start winning:
Bruce
Jack/P-Jack
Jinpachi
Kuma/Panda
Leo
Marshall/Forest Law
Miguel
Ogre
Paul
Roger/Alex

Not hard to use, but require very good fundamentals and understanding of the character, executional difficulty varies:
Anna
Armor King
Bob/Slim Bob
Bryan
Dragunov
Heihachi
Jaycee/Michelle
Jin
Lars
Lee/Violet
Marduk
Wang
Xiayou/Miharu
Yoshimitsu

A long hard road for mastery, execution and knowledge are a must:
Angel
Baek
Devil Jin
Kazuya

Tekken PhD required:
Hwoarang
Lei
Mokujin (lol)
Nina
Raven
Steve
Zafina

Not ranked because I have no idea:
Ancient Ogre
Dr. B
Eddy/Christie/Tiger
Ganryu

I watch every Tekken stream so I'm down.

DEATH™

I tried to rank the character ease of use based on my limited knowledge of the game. It's tough to do because what's hard to one person isn't necessarily hard to someone else.

Easy to pick up, plenty of gimmicks to lean on (but don't lean too hard!) while you learn the fundamentals:
Alisa
Asuka
Feng
Jun/Unknown
King
Kunimitsu
Lili/Sebastian

There is no way King is easy to pick up. AK is easier to pick up. King's multithrows are nice and all but his essential pokes don't give much frame advantage like AK, and he's not as stringy like Jun/Miguel. There's a reason noobs love AK more than King.

#BUFFLARS

GGs Bout. Either you've improved or the lag was really hindering you before. Hope we can play more often now that you seem to have fixed it. You're really good at applying pressure with all your characters. You pretty much forced me to use those backsway blows, which I hardly ever do.

Team synergy is so important in this game. When I was playing with Lei and my rusty Leo, I couldn't do anything with Feng. But then when I teamed him up with Ganryu it just clicked and I remembered how to play. Weird.

Sayah

I am interested. You need to do this.

Anyone got time to play a few rounds, preferably Manbig, AAK, or Sayah?

I can play now if you'd like.

Dereck

It was the lag last time for sure. You had "1 bar" the whole time but the game never lagged at all. It made for some very good matches.

Manbig

Alright, glad to hear you guys are interested. I'm going to do it after finals are over next week. Have to do some prep work. My first task to get back on the grind in this game after the semester was to double check all my frame data and probably make a spreadsheet out of it. Once I get that out of the way, I'll come up with a good day and time to get it going.

Sayah

Alright, glad to hear you guys are interested. I'm going to do it after finals are over next week. Have to do some prep work. My first task to get back on the grind in this game after the semester was to double check all my frame data and probably make a spreadsheet out of it. Once I get that out of the way, I'll come up with a good day and time to get it going.

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.

Sayah

Need video editing advice. I'm making a video and I want to show certain inputs on a bottom sidebar/reel. For example, if I'm doing f,f, + 2 on the screen, I want to be able to show these input commands on the bottom of the video. Are there are any useful tools for that? Or do I have to create something myself?

Wow, nice.

I didn't even know about this fighter.

Alisa
Asuka
Feng
Jun/Unknown
King
Kunimitsu
Lili/Sebastian

Easy to pick up, but will require some decent fundamentals before you can start winning:
Bruce
Jack/P-Jack
Jinpachi
Kuma/Panda
Leo
Marshall/Forest Law
Miguel
Ogre
Paul
Roger/Alex

Not hard to use, but require very good fundamentals and understanding of the character, executional difficulty varies:
Anna
Armor King
Bob/Slim Bob
Bryan
Dragunov
Heihachi
Jaycee/Michelle
Jin
Lars
Lee/Violet
Marduk
Wang
Xiayou/Miharu
Yoshimitsu

A long hard road for mastery, execution and knowledge are a must:
Angel
Baek
Devil Jin
Kazuya

Tekken PhD required:
Hwoarang
Lei
Mokujin (lol)
Nina
Raven
Steve
Zafina

Not ranked because I have no idea:
Ancient Ogre
Dr. B
Eddy/Christie/Tiger
Ganryu

I watch every Tekken stream so I'm down.

Forgot to comment on this. This is a nice list, lol.

Top Bottom