• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Damn, that was a lot of fun. Thanks for the games Manny :) There is just something about VF when I play it like I'm enjoying everything it has to offer. You get that feeling like you're a master at the game so easily just because you make the right reads. You don't feel this way for any other game I've ever played.

AAK or anybody else got any tips?

Julia is truly a beast. There is a ton of fun that can be had with her. Some obvious tips for starters that I can give you is to master full crouch 50/50 mixup when you are applying pressure on your opponent. When your opponent is on the offensive you can mixup between bow&arrow or a mid like WS+1 for a launcher or WS+3 for a safe mid.

Another thing is to master her wind roll for juggles and end with shotgun,2 for max wall carry. Find the tag assault filler string for whichever partner you have to land Julia's d/f+3+4 hurrancrana as a tag assault ender at the wall.

She has a great throw: qcb,f+1. Whore the crap out of it. It's harder to break than most grabs and it's easily buffered in backdashes, moves, anything. Ask any questions you'd like :)

Manbig

GGs AAK. While the connection got better towards the end, you still abare'd out of a shitload of my frame traps, and I couldn't land my guaranteed follow ups after my throw. You know your random sidestepping is super punishable unless you cancel them right? You have to cancel your sidestepping with 11 or 33 movement to stay safe otherwise you can't block for like 30 frames lol.

AAK

GGs AAK. While the connection got better towards the end, you still abare'd out of a shitload of my frame traps, and I couldn't land my guaranteed follow ups after my throw. You know your random sidestepping is super punishable unless you cancel them right? You have to cancel your sidestepping with 11 or 33 movement to stay safe otherwise you can't block for like 30 frames lol.

Damn really? I was using the sidestepping as more of an offesnive tool rather than defensive where I'm anticipating a linear attack and hoping I'll be able to punish after with my frame advantage. But regardless, I didn't know that so I will try harder next time :)

As for the BT throw, I usually just crouch blocked right after or d+1. LOL, I took the safety of getup kicks for granted against Aoi who can parry them haha.

Manbig

Damn really? I was using the sidestepping as more of an offesnive tool rather than defensive where I'm anticipating a linear attack and hoping I'll be able to punish after with my frame advantage. But regardless, I didn't know that so I will try harder next time :)

As for the BT throw, I usually just crouch blocked right after or d+1. LOL, I took the safety of getup kicks for granted against Aoi who can parry them haha.

The way the system works is that if you input a sidestep when there's no move, it is considered a "failed evade". The trick is to cancel this into a crouchdash. It's usually what owns up high circulars because they're usually slow.

The full circular I was using with Aoi was 2P (That spinning chop that leaves her back turned). The thing is, I was trying to train you to duck at the wall because it has a built in mid follow up that's HEAVILY delayable and wall staggers you if it connects. When you finally did duck though, I fucked up the input on the mid lol.

And yeah, wake up kicks are 100% useless in general really. I used to be able to see both mid and low on reaction when I played this game last year, and mind you, I only played a month lol. That's how bad it is where even I can see it coming and counter it with my terrible ass reaction time. The only ones that get me are the special ones that a few characters have access too. They have unique animations.

EDIT: Meant cancel SS into a Crouchdash not another SS...

Julia is truly a beast. There is a ton of fun that can be had with her. Some obvious tips for starters that I can give you is to master full crouch 50/50 mixup when you are applying pressure on your opponent. When your opponent is on the offensive you can mixup between bow&arrow or a mid like WS+1 for a launcher or WS+3 for a safe mid.

Another thing is to master her wind roll for juggles and end with shotgun,2 for max wall carry. Find the tag assault filler string for whichever partner you have to land Julia's d/f+3+4 hurrancrana as a tag assault ender at the wall.

She has a great throw: qcb,f+1. Whore the crap out of it. It's harder to break than most grabs and it's easily buffered in backdashes, moves, anything. Ask any questions you'd like :)

Is it worth doing three shotguns in a combo? I notice if I do more than two, the bound (wind roll 1+2) sometimes whiffs. At the moment I'm just doing two d,df1~4,1's and then b+1 for bound. It leaves more options for tag assault filler too.

Also, how the hell do people do her running 1 so fast?

AAK

Is it worth doing three shotguns in a combo? I notice if I do more than two, the bound (wind roll 1+2) sometimes whiffs. At the moment I'm just doing two d,df1~4,1's and then b+1 for bound. It leaves more options for tag assault filler too.

Also, how the hell do people do her running 1 so fast?

I remember Mr naps had a rule of thumb regarding tag assaults. I forgot but Manny reminded me once. I believe if you do 4 hits before a tag assault you can do 3 hits as a tag assault filler before ending the TA with you're point character's strongest ender. If you do 5 hits then lower your filler to 2 hits and such so you get the pattern. But again it's just a guideline since a lot of move can break those things rules like Hwoarang’s hunting hawks. So it is best to experiment. With Julia I can do a launcher into 2 shotgun wind roll punches into a shotgun wind roll into a bound which is 6 hits into hunting hawks for TA filler into burning hammer which does 100+ damage. An instance that falls outside Mr. Naps guidelines.If Julia is solo then I'd usually just do the same juggle but end with the burning hammer.

If you are having trouble hitting multiple shotgun windroll punches together try inputting the shotgun as early as possible.

As for the burning hammer, Julia is way more forgiving in combos to land because it has a very generous hitbox and range while King/AKing players need to be precisely instant. Just keep practicing, it's one of those things that come to you overt time.

Hope that answered your question.

DEATH™

Random Musings...

1. Again, thank you much for the guy who practices archery who likes his Apple products...

2. I already talked about the limitations of customs, but now I see how they put ALOT of work on the decals... Darn we are letting this go to waste. Some decals are great for making graphic tees. and the amount of decals make me cringe if I'm the art guy working at the Tekken team.

3. And just to share...

violetgirls-1_zps7e5304b4.jpg

Sup Tekken Gaf. Decided to buy Tag 2 last week and want to start learning the game. I'm just wondering what characters are more suited towards beginners in this game? Since I probably won't have that much time to put into the game, I'm thinking characters with lesser moves and easier execution might be ideal. I do want to play one Mishima though, just because I like them and am more familiar with their moveset. I have heard that they are some of the harder characters to learn because of things like EWGF, but I am willing to spend the time learning that. So far I like either Heihachi or Devil Jin.

Manbig

Sup Tekken Gaf. Decided to buy Tag 2 last week and want to start learning the game. I'm just wondering what characters are more suited towards beginners in this game? Since I probably won't have that much time to put into the game, I'm thinking characters with lesser moves and easier execution might be ideal. I do want to play one Mishima though, just because I like them and am more familiar with their moveset. I have heard that they are some of the harder characters to learn because of things like EWGF, but I am willing to spend the time learning that. So far I like either Heihachi or Devil Jin.

Paul is the best answer. Outside of QCF and QCB, you only have to worry about Demo Man. That is honestly not very hard to execute after a like 15 minutes of practice.

DEATH™

Paul is the best answer. Outside of QCF and QCB, you only have to worry about Demo Man. That is honestly not very hard to execute after a like 15 minutes of practice.

To add to Manny too, I also recommend Jin. You mention your willingness to practice EWGF so Jin can be great for you too... He relies on teaching you fundamentals, and despite having a electric, he doesn't use it as a crutch, and he got alot of tools too that is not high execution. You can learn how to use Jin EWHF while learning the game, and you can always go back to his other moves if you struggle...

Xevren

Probably a really stupid question but it's driving me nuts. I know when I was watching Aris play he was playing in a pitch black type training stage, kind of like when you go through the command list and do the demo of a move, how do you get that stage? Either I'm just blind or something, cuz I want that damn it.

Probably a really stupid question but it's driving me nuts. I know when I was watching Aris play he was playing in a pitch black type training stage, kind of like when you go through the command list and do the demo of a move, how do you get that stage? Either I'm just blind or something, cuz I want that damn it.

That's only available while playing online and waiting for an opponent.

DEATH™;59625313 said:
To add to Manny too, I also recommend Jin. You mention your willingness to practice EWGF so Jin can be great for you too... He relies on teaching you fundamentals, and despite having a electric, he doesn't use it as a crutch, and he got alot of tools too that is not high execution. You can learn how to use Jin EWHF while learning the game, and you can always go back to his other moves if you struggle...

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to spend some time with Paul and Jin. I guess I could also be specific with what I look for in characters. I play Bison in AE, so I like characters who have good mobility, fast and long ranged pokes, and escape options. I did some reading and it seems like Nina, Jin, Feng, Miguel, and Lee have some of those aspects. Would you guys agree?

Also, how do you guys feel about the balance in this game? This is just something I'm curious about. I do feel that combos can do a crazy amount of damage in this game.

Sayah

I played T6 online today for the first time since Tag 2 released. I'm amazed it's STILL active. Was finding opponents fast........but that netcode. :/
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to spend some time with Paul and Jin. I guess I could also be specific with what I look for in characters. I play Bison in AE, so I like characters who have good mobility, fast and long ranged pokes, and escape options. I did some reading and it seems like Nina, Jin, Feng, Miguel, and Lee have some of those aspects. Would you guys agree?

Also, how do you guys feel about the balance in this game? This is just something I'm curious about. I do feel that combos can do a crazy amount of damage in this game.

Feng and Paul have long range with a lot of attacks and are easier to pick up. They are both power hitters. Jin is good as well and isn't that hard to pick up. Nina requires more work to learn but it's very rewarding once you do. If you need speed/agility and strong mixups, then Nina is a good choice. Miguel, I don't really know much about him.

I think Paul/Nina would be an amazing team. They both got that qcb backdash and are S tier in rage. Suddenly developed an interest to work on Paul/Nina now and gonna try to see what I can come up with the two of them.

Unfortunately, that stage is limited to online ranked matches. :(

The game already has a crazy number of stages and I don't think they had space to put more on the stage select screen. You already have to choose the Dubai and magic show stage through special inputs or something.

And this stage is limited to fight lab as well.

GrayFoxPL

You probably should throw away the Street Fighter way of thinking while approaching Tekken.
It kinda doesn't work.
Escape options aren't really an option. Evasiveness is here but it's more as a build in side step, small backdash or sway function into some moves.

Mishimas and every character who has crouch dash can get in faster, Lee has a mist step that is easier to do and a sway, you can cancel to/from either. Movement speed generally depends on the player, even Jacks can rush you down even if they don't have the additional movement tools like crouch dash or mist step.

As for backing up, there's backdash and backdash cancel for every character, some have sway used to make opponent whiff not to run away.

Not sure about picking up Miguel from the go and definitely not Nina.

If I had to guess I'd recommend you Bryan for huge range of options he has and damage output while doing basically anything. You can say he has long reaching moves too.

From Mishima clan I think Kazuya is the easiest. He has simple and very damaging combos that are hard to drop and the only hardship can be in electric really, but imo it's only important to launch, juggling with many electrics is flashy but it won't give you much more damage then say 314 db2, df3df12, b24 dash df12 etc. In terms of ease of use and damage (ch df2 lol) he's the best Mishima imo. Devil Jin may have lots of win buttons but I dropped his ff3 combos more then any other. Hei's top their too but imo his bit more demanding for beginners then Kaz.

Unfortunately, that stage is limited to online ranked matches. :(

It's in quick player match as well.

That's the only modes I play Ranked and quick player, mostly ranked though.

Doomshine

I think Feng and Jin are still your best bets. They are both easy to use, poke heavy, decent range and they both have a crouch dash to get in.

GrayFoxPL

I hate the word "poke" used in Tekken. If a poke is fast move with quick recovery that doesn't knockdown then every character in the game has truckload of these.

Manbig

I hate the word "poke" used in Tekken. If a poke is fast move with quick recovery that doesn't knockdown then every character in the game has truckload of these.

Just because everyone has them doesn't mean the term is dumb. Some characters have way better pokes than others. Marduk's d+4, for example, completely changes the way his opponent has to approach the match up vs him and is arguably the best low poke in the game. Pokes are essentially the way "footsies" play out in 3D fighting games.

Speaking of Marduk, I'm not feeling well today, so I'm gonna leave the third part of my Marduk tutorial for tomorrow.

For those that missed the first two parts and want to learn how to play as/fight against Marduk:

Part 1 starts around 12 minutes into this video: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407039208

Part 2 starts around 19 minutes into this video: http://www.twitch.tv/manny_biggz/b/407428872

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be sure to keep the info in mind. Pretty sure I'll spend time with Jin, Kaz, Feng, Miguel, and maybe a few others to see who I want to stick with.

Xevren

Pretty much spent most of the day just learning how to play Steve, always liked watching people play him and I totally don't regret it. Loving this dude.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, guys!

Thinking about grabbing the Wii U version, but how is it compared to the other platforms?

Sorry if this is already detailed somewhere in the thread...

8-20 online today, from GM back to Mentor. :( It's always weird to me how on nights when I feel sharp I end up playing like garbage.

Hi, guys!

Thinking about grabbing the Wii U version, but how is it compared to the other platforms?

Wii U version has the most features (Tekken Ball, Nintendo costumes and draw/color your own decals with the stylus) but the fewest players online. Visuals/performance are equal to the other platforms.

Thanks, AAK.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be sure to keep the info in mind. Pretty sure I'll spend time with Jin, Kaz, Feng, Miguel, and maybe a few others to see who I want to stick with.

One thing you were looking for that others didn't touch on was escape options. It's really easy to get out of trouble with Feng. He has one of the best backdashes in the game. He has three moves with built in sidestep for evasion. Probably the best backsway blow in the game (gives a nice combo on counter hit) and a backsway stance with a decent mixup out of it.

He also has several punch parries that make him a nightmare for uninformed Steve players. >:D

Sayah

Hi, guys!

As mentioned, Wii U version got tekken ball, mushroom battle, nintendo costumes and draw your own decals. Very exciting features that PS3/360 are lacking.

However, the Wii U version online community (as I've heard) isn't as active as PS3 and the Tekken Tunes feature on Wii U only allows you to change around the soundtracks already present in the game (instead of being able to upload any music of your choice like you can on PS3/360).

Regardless, ups and downs on both ends. Game is worth getting on any console and I'll buy it for a second time once I get a Wii U.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the Wii U version feedback! I think I'll pick it up. I'd mostly be playing it local with friends anyway, so as long as the performance is OK, I'm good.

Sayah

I'm extremely glad I tried out Nina/Paul team. Their synergy is really amazing and it's a solid team all around.

Paul's qcf+2 is quite possibly the best TA combo ender.

Paul does, however, suck horribly with TA fillers. There's literally NO good string that he has. d/f+1 ~ b, 4 is probably the best thing he has followed by u/f+3,4 or f,f+3,4.

Also, for people trying to learn Paul's demolition man (d+4,2,1+2), do the following if you're on pad. Maybe it works on stick too. And maybe other people already do it this way and I'm just learning it. This method is working very well for me at least.

If you use your thumb on the face buttons, you will have to temporarily switch over to your fingers. If you already use your fingers, then you are in luck. Press d+4 with the middle finger, then press 2 with the middle finger. Then press 1+2 with the index finger on 1 and the middle finger on 2. Each button has to be pressed one by one and you cannot mash or tap on 2 or 1+2. Each input (d+4, 2, 1+2) must be pressed once, only once and no more than once.

Can somebody try this in practice and see if it works for them? I have been consistently doing demolition man. The only issue is I use my thumbs during normal play and it's hard to transition to primarily fingers during combos. Will have to work on that.

AAK

I'm extremely glad I tried out Nina/Paul team. Their synergy is really amazing and it's a solid team all around.

Paul's qcf+2 is quite possibly the best TA combo ender.

Paul does, however, suck horribly with TA fillers. There's literally NO good string that he has. d/f+1 ~ b, 4 is probably the best thing he has followed by u/f+3,4 or f,f+3,4.

Also, for people trying to learn Paul's demolition man (d+4,2,1+2), do the following if you're on pad. Maybe it works on stick too. And maybe other people already do it this way and I'm just learning it. This method is working very well for me at least.

If you use your thumb on the face buttons, you will have to temporarily switch over to your fingers. If you already use your fingers, then you are in luck. Press d+4 with the middle finger, then press 2 with the middle finger. Then press 1+2 with the index finger on 1 and the middle finger on 2. Each button has to be pressed one by one and you cannot mash or tap on 2 or 1+2. Each input (d+4, 2, 1+2) must be pressed once, only once and no more than once.

Can somebody try this in practice and see if it works for them? I have been consistently doing demolition man. The only issue is I use my thumbs during normal play and it's hard to transition to primarily fingers during combos. Will have to work on that.

For Paul's TA you can also try doing a long combo with Nina (iWS+1 could work :p) and do Paul's f,f+2,2 I think which is the elbow into the low scoop punch before ending with a powerful Nina strike like blonde bomb or qcf+2.

As for the Demo man, even when I play on pad, I play claw style. So it isn't that hard. I don't get the blue spark just frame but i can get the regular demo man 60-70% of the time. Using the claw style just press d+4, then time the 2 with the same middle finger holding the 2 and then putting my index finger on 1 getting it out. It's the classical buffer input example :)

EDIT: Forgot, you can also try FC+2,2 as well for a TA. I think it does a little more damage than f,f+2,2.

Sayah

For Paul's TA you can also try doing a long combo with Nina (iWS+1 could work :p) and do Paul's f,f+2,2 I think which is the elbow into the low scoop punch before ending with a powerful Nina strike like blonde bomb or qcf+2.

As for the Demo man, even when I play on pad, I play claw style. So it isn't that hard. I don't get the blue spark just frame but i can get the regular demo man 60-70% of the time. Using the claw style just press d+4, then time the 2 with the same middle finger holding the 2 and then putting my index finger on 1 getting it out. It's the classical buffer input example :)

If only I could do flapping butterfly's. :/

Paul's f,f+2,2 creates too much distance and blonde bombs/qcf+2/f,f+3 all end up missing.

And yep, I believe that's how I'm doing demo man and I have the same 60-70% success rate. The only problem is I normally only use my thumb for all of the inputs unless I'm doing something like ivory cutter. Then I switch to fingers.

But I don't think demoman is that important for Paul. It's probably important for solo combos/wall carries but it's heavily punishable on block. And with Nina as a partner, I see you almost always want to do tag assaults using Paul since the damage is faaaaaar better and worth losing red life over/giving rage in most cases. I'll post a combo video of the stuff I've been doing when I get time.

Personally, out of all of the characters you listed, I think Miguel is the easiest to use. Feng is probably second I think. Miguel has pretty decent power, good mobility, not too difficult execution, good range and is quick. Some of his combos can be tricky and he has a stance that could take some getting used to, but overall I think he is a good character to start out with. They are all good characters, but I think Nina is definitely the most demanding, yet could possibly be the most rewarding once you learn her fundamentals.

Eh, I think the game is balanced fairly well. Better than most games I think, but not perfect which is understandable considering the immense amount of characters available. Yeah, combos do insane damage most of the times, but it seems like most, if not all characters can execute combos that cause severe damage.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The more streamers, the better.

People are free to do what they want. My stream is strictly lobbies. Anything more than that is something out of the ordinary. It is a chill time for me to relax and mess around with stuff I normally do not do. I'm the type of person to keep up with technology and always like to see how things work. It's a hobby within a hobby. While I'm streaming, I'm also doing other things in the background.

There was once a time where I wanted bigger things with streaming. I wanted to run weekly and monthly tournaments for various games on GAF, having full blown prizes, with commentary and everything. But it doesn't matter what kind of idea you have if there are no players to make use of it. None of the tournaments I ran really went as I liked so the whole idea was wishful thinking.

Weiss

Banned
So I picked this up last night, my first Tekken in years, and I just remembered how awful I am at fighting games.

The huge cast is pretty awesome. Nearly every single Tekken character is in this.

Sayah

The more streamers, the better.

People are free to do what they want. My stream is strictly lobbies. Anything more than that is something out of the ordinary. It is a chill time for me to relax and mess around with stuff I normally do not do. I'm the type of person to keep up with technology and always like to see how things work. It's a hobby within a hobby. While I'm streaming, I'm also doing other things in the background.

There was once a time where I wanted bigger things with streaming. I wanted to run weekly and monthly tournaments for various games on GAF, having full blown prizes, with commentary and everything. But it doesn't matter what kind of idea you have if there are no players to make use of it. None of the tournaments I ran really went as I liked so the whole idea was wishful thinking.

Unfortunately, that's going to happen in every tournament. You will have people sign up and then not show up/finish their assigned matches.

I would say the Tekken tourney we did here was partly successful. If only because people that didn't show up lost their match (just like they would at any tournament). We had a few matches that never even happened. It's unfortunate but at least the tourney finished.

So I picked this up last night, my first Tekken in years, and I just remembered how awful I am at fighting games.

The huge cast is pretty awesome. Nearly every single Tekken character is in this.

If you're on PS3 and need help learning, don't hesitate to ask. I'm no big expert but I'm happy to do online training with people and help them learn.

Manbig

So I'll be continuing with part 3 at around 8:30 - 9 PM EST. I'll probably throw up a stream of some sort a little while before it to test settings and stuff.

Thanks for all the continued tips and info guys. I forgot to mention, for those who play on PSN, feel free to add me. It'll take me a few weeks to add you guys and actually get back into the game since I don't have access to my ps3 right now.

PSN: Solidgear91

DEATH™

Thanks for all the continued tips and info guys. I forgot to mention, for those who play on PSN, feel free to add me. It'll take me a few weeks to add you guys and actually get back into the game since I don't have access to my ps3 right now.

PSN: Solidgear91

I would soon enough when I come back...

AAK

bum, bum, bum, BUM.... Another one bites the dust........

RunitBlack on Facebook:

"I'M Quitting after EVO... I can't wait for this last push coming up its been FUN meeting everyone and playing."

So we have KOR and RiB both retiring after EVO.

DEATH™

bum, bum, bum, BUM.... Another one bites the dust........

RunitBlack on Facebook:

"I'M Quitting after EVO... I can't wait for this last push coming up its been FUN meeting everyone and playing."

So we have KOR and RiB both retiring after EVO.

Talked with him in stream chat... Dude's pretty busy at school... College always takes toll on you...

AAK

When I met KOR at Toryuken he said that he's married now and has to focus on his career to provide and stabilize himself for the future.

And earlier this year 2 of the greatest legends also quit competitive Tekken. Slips completely quit the series and Bronson just plays for fun now. And with that the none of the American TTT1 deities play the game. Unconkable, JOP, Tom Hilfiger, Bronson, Slips, Shin are all done.

EDIT: Apparently Kane has also quit the game. Wow, that's a shocker. He was one of the biggest Tekken fans.

Sayah

KOR, Kane and RiB? Dayum. It hasn't even been a year since the game released on consoles. A lot of people quitting or switching over to Injustice. :/

New blood needs to rise.

Also, sorry Manny. I was sleeping and missed your stream.

Top Bottom